• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
So guys I've made a small mock up of the proposed Roy changes on the Speed Side of things. The Range Side one will be a bit more tricky to come up with so it might be a little while before I have anything. But I'd figure I've given my thoughts after getting my first pieces on info and feedback as I feel confident these won't really change that much for this side minus some fine tuning.

With that said the changes are as listed.

Stat Changes:
Run Speed changed to 1.98 from 1.95
Initial Dash end lag reduced.
Allows for a faster Foxtrot & allows for quicker, more precise positioning

Moveset Changes:

Double Edge Dance:
KGB on Swipe 1 changed to 35/50/50 From 50/75/75
KGB on all 2-3 variations reduced to 35 from 50 & 40 on Down 3
Allows Double Edge Dance to remain a consistent combo tool at higher percents.

Ftilt:
Hitbox Active changed to 7-9 from 8-10
FAF changed to 31 from 32

Basically we'd be a bit faster, smoother to handle, with a slightly faster ftilt to set up quick kills off of punishes. These changes also highlight our combo ability around Double Edge Dance making it a consistent string until very high percents and making it a viable kill combo out of a dash near the ledge.

Let me know what you think, I want to make these changes to be healthy as possible while also being potent and highlight what Roy strives to do as a character.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
So guys I've made a small mock up of the proposed Roy changes on the Speed Side of things. The Range Side one will be a bit more tricky to come up with so it might be a little while before I have anything. But I'd figure I've given my thoughts after getting my first pieces on info and feedback as I feel confident these won't really change that much for this side minus some fine tuning.

With that said the changes are as listed.

Stat Changes:
Run Speed changed to 1.98 from 1.95
Initial Dash end lag reduced.
Allows for a faster Foxtrot & allows for quicker, more precise positioning

Moveset Changes:

Double Edge Dance:
KGB on Swipe 1 changed to 35/50/50 From 50/75/75
KGB on all 2-3 variations reduced to 35 from 50 & 40 on Down 3
Allows Double Edge Dance to remain a consistent combo tool at higher percents.

Ftilt:
Hitbox Active changed to 7-9 from 8-10
FAF changed to 31 from 32

Basically we'd be a bit faster, smoother to handle, with a slightly faster ftilt to set up quick kills off of punishes. These changes also highlight our combo ability around Double Edge Dance making it a consistent string until very high percents and making it a viable kill combo out of a dash near the ledge.

Let me know what you think, I want to make these changes to be healthy as possible while also being potent and highlight what Roy strives to do as a character.
Oh my, this is all awesome.

Wait, where's fair? Why haven't you included any changes to Fair? Or Dair (but that's really optional)

:135:

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
Oh my, this is all awesome.

Wait, where's fair? Why haven't you included any changes to Fair? Or Dair (but that's really optional)

Yeah I'm trying to be as bare bones as possible with the changes. Honestly I'm almost thinking of cutting the Ftilt changes, as DED becoming a consistent kill option makes the ftilt change not as needed. Him having better movement and stopping ability also indirectly buffs ftilt.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Yeah I'm trying to be as bare bones as possible with the changes. Honestly I'm almost thinking of cutting the Ftilt changes, as DED becoming a consistent kill option makes the ftilt change not as needed. Him having better movement and stopping ability also indirectly buffs ftilt.
I mean, i guess that's fair, but still i don't know, fair is in pretty dire need of a buff. And honestly, i'd rather se Jab get a frame buff over Ftilt

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
I mean, i guess that's fair, but still i don't know, fair is in pretty dire need of a buff. And honestly, i'd rather se Jab get a frame buff over Ftilt

I'll probably have side list of things that could be properly cleaned up, but in my experience I haven't had Fair fail me at all really.
Either way I'll hear what everyone else has to say on the subject (This might end up being on the range side of fixes if I do list it.)
Also the reason it would be Ftilt versus jab getting the frame buff would be to make ending stocks for Roy a bit easier and safer in higher levels of play.

I think overall Roy is for the most part okay, but needs a couple of quality of life fixes considering his role isn't a common one so it makes sense that he would need some refining.

Last edited:

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
I forgot to post this earlier:
Anything you guys would like me to look into and test, or any topics you guys like me to write about during the downtime?[/QUOTE
Maybe you can test some kill percents if we don't have those somewhere already.

Maybe you can test some kill percents if we don't have those somewhere already.
I'm thinking about how to properly approach kill percents. It's hard when rage affects Roy so much, especially when I want to properly cover multiple weights and DI. I'm not sure how to properly approach rage and weight, to be honest. How do you guys think I should go about it?

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I'll probably have side list of things that could be properly cleaned up, but in my experience I haven't had Fair fail me at all really.
Either way I'll hear what everyone else has to say on the subject (This might end up being on the range side of fixes if I do list it.)
Also the reason it would be Ftilt versus jab getting the frame buff would be to make ending stocks for Roy a bit easier and safer in higher levels of play.

I think overall Roy is for the most part okay, but needs a couple of quality of life fixes considering his role isn't a common one so it makes sense that he would need some refining.
Well it's just that it comes out Frame 10 and last 2 frames. Meaning the half the freaking move doesn't even have a hitbox (i manage to get pictures of this). I don't, i just feel sometimes if Fair came out frame or it's hitbox extend to 7 or 8 -> 12 or 14 it would combo into so many more things (like Dthrow -> to Fair). i don't know, that's just me

Ah okay i see now with Ftilt over Jab. I just said Jab because a lot of the time, I can pull of more combo's with Lucina's Jab 1 compared to Roy's Jab (particularly at high percents, often being able to do Jab 1 -> Fsmash)

True true

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
Well it's just that it comes out Frame 10 and last 2 frames. Meaning the half the freaking move doesn't even have a hitbox (i manage to get pictures of this). I don't, i just feel sometimes if Fair came out frame or it's hitbox extend to 7 or 8 -> 12 or 14 it would combo into so many more things (like Dthrow -> to Fair). i don't know, that's just me

Ah okay i see now with Ftilt over Jab. I just said Jab because a lot of the time, I can pull of more combo's with Lucina's Jab 1 compared to Roy's Jab (particularly at high percents, often being able to do Jab 1 -> Fsmash)

True true

I'll note that, also at the very least it'll be on the side list of things so the concern will be heard.

Last edited:

LonkQ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ammoro
No matter how hard I try, I can't play Marth or Lucina. It's just so weird.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Roy's forward air is one of his best moves bar none.
And it's duration is 3 frames, just like Marth's.

Speeding it up would make dthrow fair 'real', but he has dthrow nair, uair and on occasion bair.... @_@

Maybe it's just me, but just about anyone fighting my roy always compliments my forward air usage or exclaims they never realised how good that move was.
A stupendously significant buff to it like cutting a quarter of it's start up would be an INSANE buff and likely invalidate a lot of alternative aerial usages.

I mean, it would be really really awesome if we could use our forward air in a disadvantaged state like Marth/Sheik/etc can.
It's a difficult move to use and space because of it's start up and roy's mobility set up, but used properly there's nothing in Roy's kit that does as much work as it does (only move he has he can horizontally space with that also sweet spots reliably, he stretches out his arm A LOT in the animation to extend it's range, it combos into a lot of things including itself and it's entire duration including the frame before has extensive defensive/intangible boxes over his arms and body). It's the "glue" of his kit.

Last edited:

LonkQ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ammoro
The more I think about it, the more I feel as if I would like a buff to Roy's fighting ability at higher percents. Fair feels really frustrating at times, but then I realize when it's not killing at 140%, it's because I staled it a decent amount. Most of the Roy struggle I've had is around 100-150%. Trying to fumble around landing Jab-Blazer or tipper Uair-Blazer, Ftilt barely not killing, combo game is nearly dead. It's the easiest time for Roy to lose momentum trying to finish things.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Just to compare

That's Lucina's forward air, if you do frame by frame skipping, you'll see a frame with two blue defensive boxes before the next frame's red hitboxes.
Those blue boxes are intangible/invincible.

Roy also has one that covers around his head and shoulders. So essentially all one has to do is endure 8 frames of start up of forward air before you get a win hitbox with an almost invincible upper body half.
Hopefully @Furil will get around to Roy soon, his set of hitboxes are pretty expansive.

After browsing a lot of good Roy art today, up to 10 months back to compile into something, and just not really playing Smash for a few days, I've had a sudden spark of re-invigoration as a Roy main.

I was getting burnt out from writing analyses privately and managing those two fair hitbox threads, and admittedly from doing poorly and feeling stuck, but I feel a sudden burst of energy in my play rather than in my mindset, attitude, or general emotions. Those are all pretty much the same as usual, but they've been leaning towards the positive consistently lately anyways. Wanting to play the game a LOT, having much more energy in my play, and hopefully climbing out of a rut seems to be happening out of nowhere.

Looking through a lot of summer stuff, I'm remembering all of my initial hype and how all of my hard work to help get Roy into the game paid off, and my feelings on his confirmation. It felt so good to share that happiness and excitement with friends. I still remember my texts with a few friends that Sunday at work and how hyped up we got over his colors, how we were all rushing to figure out which palettes were which characters and who would play which.

A lot of that original wonder and joy is back, and I think that's what I needed. Hopefully I can hold onto it better this time.

I don't feel like pushing for buffs or writing much at the moment, just burning energy through pure playing.
Playing Golden Sun 2 and Mario 64 a decent amount earlier probably helped.

It showed in my play in Anther's tonight, and I did a lot of things right.

I should upload this set tomorrow, it doesn't feel right since my opponent SD'd second stock game two. It would have been better otherwise =/

Once next season of Anther's hits (should be soon), and maybe another patch to fear losing my replays randomly less, I might start uploading Anther's sets regularly on my channel and making that a thing.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Roy's forward air is one of his best moves bar none.
And it's duration is 3 frames, just like Marth's.

Speeding it up would make dthrow fair 'real', but he has dthrow nair, uair and on occasion bair.... @_@

Maybe it's just me, but just about anyone fighting my roy always compliments my forward air usage or exclaims they never realised how good that move was.
A stupendously significant buff to it like cutting a quarter of it's start up would be an INSANE buff and likely invalidate a lot of alternative aerial usages.

I mean, it would be really really awesome if we could use our forward air in a disadvantaged state like Marth/Sheik/etc can.
It's a difficult move to use and space because of it's start up and roy's mobility set up, but used properly there's nothing in Roy's kit that does as much work as it does (only move he has he can horizontally space with that also sweet spots reliably, he stretches out his arm A LOT in the animation to extend it's range, it combos into a lot of things including itself and it's entire duration including the frame before has extensive defensive/intangible boxes over his arms and body). It's the "glue" of his kit.
Okay, after rereading what I said an I realise I made a few errors.

With regards to extending the hitbox, I meant to say 8-9, more so 9, just to cover that the missing hitbox. When i was making my post, I must have been think move the start of the move to frame 7 or 8 from 10, but accidentally said extend the frame. (Hopefully TheSpnBrm TheSpnBrm picks up on this mistake)

However, i still want the hitbox to be extend near the end of the move. It's seriously like 2 frames it doesn't hit while his swing. Really stupid imo.

The more I think about it, the more I feel as if I would like a buff to Roy's fighting ability at higher percents. Fair feels really frustrating at times, but then I realize when it's not killing at 140%, it's because I staled it a decent amount. Most of the Roy struggle I've had is around 100-150%. Trying to fumble around landing Jab-Blazer or tipper Uair-Blazer, Ftilt barely not killing, combo game is nearly dead. It's the easiest time for Roy to lose momentum trying to finish things.
This is another problem that needs fix. It's really stupid how the move stops combing after a certain % and then doesn't kill up 170% because I've been using it as a combo move. Either increase the knockback for killing or decrease it for combing. and for the love of Naga, increase the damage on the dam thing

Here is an Anther's set from yesterday. Could you guys please critique my gameplay and give me any possible suggestions on what to work on? I prefer asking for critique on sets where I lose, but this is my only recent set-like gameplay that was recorded and there's likely a few mistakes and areas I can still improve on right off the bat:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Here is an Anther's set from yesterday. Could you guys please critique my gameplay and give me any possible suggestions on what to work on? I prefer asking for critique on sets where I lose, but this is my only recent set-like gameplay that was recorded and there's likely a few mistakes and areas I can still improve on right off the bat:

Well. I'll begin with first. Nice Anther Set.

Sorry for my english in advance. I'll try to be clear as possible.
There is some little mistake there and there so:

-Against the Peach. At the begining you sudently stopped your pressure with Jab without any reason, this costed to you to get the first damage. You could have continued or mixing thing up with some D-tilt pressure. Even the weakspot give enough pressure and scare the opponent. Their only option are a lot of time a OOS ,jumping or get the timing of your D-tilt to counter Attack (Which is hard and even more in a Wifi match)Or if you're really sur that they are going to drop the shield Try to Up-B. Some time after 2-3 D-tilt they are going to counter attack. Use your Armor on the Up-B to punish .

-Look like you have some trouble to get the timing of the Neutral-B

-Tried to hard to get the Running Up-Smash. You missed it like three time i think?

And there the counter. I think that as Roy we need to reset to neutral to fastest we can since our disavantage are kind of big. And you going to her after getting launching far away was kind of a giveaway that you tried to counter.

You played clean for the Yoshi.

But overall great set. I'm mostly nitpicking what i saw. And you probably already know everything i've said.

Last edited:

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Soooo satisfying hitting lucas/ness out of their up b. Even more satisfying with a spike :D

Schnizzle Fits

Smash Cadet
As far as my knowledge of Peach is, if I was fighting that Peach I would of gone 100% tryhard. I was more concerned about what the Peach was doing wrong. Normally if I was fighting a Peach, I'd be wary of her fair. Also why is it everyone new to Peach uses her back alt.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
As far as my knowledge of Peach is, if I was fighting that Peach I would of gone 100% tryhard. I was more concerned about what the Peach was doing wrong. Normally if I was fighting a Peach, I'd be wary of her fair. Also why is it everyone new to Peach uses her back alt.

That's why he said to critic his roy and not the peach.

Also if I have to write a peach critic I could actually write a book with so many bad decision the peach does

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
That platform thing has been known about for a while tbh. Floaties can DI out of it, but that's harder for fastfallers and heavies (so it's good in the ditto). Still situational, though.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
That platform thing has been known about for a while tbh. Floaties can DI out of it, but that's harder for fastfallers and heavies (so it's good in the ditto). Still situational, though.
Well I've never seen or heard of this thing before. Either way, this is by far my favorite cheese in the game lol.

Sooooo who do you guys think ZeRo is going to pick for best Roy in his video series?
Sethlon because he probably prepared the interviews and discussions a while back, and ZeRo talks about the guy a lot. The first thing ZeRo did when Roy was released was tag Sethlon in a tweet. Depending on how recent they are, maybe Ryo, because of Ryo's recent placings as Roy and how sexy his play looks.

Sethlon is probably the most active Roy, he solo mains Roy atm and only dabbled a little in Corrin/Cloud on their respective releases, he places well at Shockwave, and he gets tooooooooons more games and exposure up than any other Roy I know. Past notoriety for Roy adds to his reputation here as well.

NEO is also another strong contendor, though he seems to mainly uses Roy as a counterpick character or for maybe a game on-stream every few months, and I never see him when digging for Roy sets by upload date every few days on YouTube. I don't know if he's an active Roy, and I feel like Roy's a small pocket character for him for fun at most this time around.

There's a few Roys who aren't well-known who are really good. Eden has seen a crazy amount of recent improvement, and I like what I saw from Tselel recently. I'd suggest checking out their sets.

I don't see ZeRo going for Hero/Manny for this video since he hasn't played Roy in quite a while as far as I know, though he did use him as a great resource in the past for making Roy videos and talked to him a fair amount.

Based on the tournament results spreadsheet and how active this one Roy is at discussing and helping the community, I could see him mentioning Serrew in one way or another.

EDIT: EnGarde's post loaded immediately after I posted this. Whoops :p

Last edited:

JCav

Smash Lord
Not really surprised by the Manny pick, he does have the best wins and that was heavily weighted. I haven't seen any Roy content from Manny in a while though.

Sethlon is certainly deserving of the HM, I was pumped when Serrew got a shoutout lol

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Well then, guys. Yesterday marked my 1 year anniversary of being a Smashboards member.

All I gotta say is, wow, it's been quite the ride, and I'm happy to have gone through it all with you guys, so I thank you all for that.

One year ago, we were supporting Roy's inclusion, and now, we'll try our absolute best to improve his meta.

Did you guys here about what is happening with Zelda Wii U?

Isn't it being released around the same time as Zelda NX or something? I saw something like that skimming social media earlier.

Well then, guys. Yesterday marked my 1 year anniversary of being a Smashboards member.

All I gotta say is, wow, it's been quite the ride, and I'm happy to have gone through it all with you guys, so I thank you all for that.

One year ago, we were supporting Roy's inclusion, and now, we'll try our absolute best to improve his meta.
Indeed, it's been one hell of a great ride. From the website, to our posts and drawings on Miiverse, to the fighter ballot opening, to pre-E3 and pre-summer speculation, and finally our sweet victory to finally drown out the detractor hate and prove the merit of our hard work, I wouldn't trade any of it for the world.

We won over a lot of detractors both before and after, and while Roy isn't exactly popular or fully respected in competitive play, I can still take solace in the overwhelmingly positive thoughts on his redesign in the summer, his new strengths and mobility feeling amazing and suiting my play, his strong sales only being behind Ryu (maybe Mewtwo, most people got Mewtwo for free or bought his Club Nintendo codes for those limited to 3DS), and after 4-5 months, Cloud. It took Cloud that long to rise above Roy. Cloud Mother****ing Strife of all characters, from one of the most iconic games of all time on a rival platform. Roy still gets a strong amount of attention in casual play and as a "for fun" character. If you recall, an overwhelming majority of us who supported his return didn't play competitively, only a small handful did.

I get so caught up in thinking about matchups and how annoying DLC characters are to fight, that I don't often think about how surreal it is that Cloud or Ryu managed to make it into a Smash game, or how Doc/Mewtwo/Roy/Lucas all returned with some really fun new tools. DLC really made a lot of our dreams come true and gave the game a more complete feeling. I'm happy that so many of us got our characters back, or our favorite characters became new additions to the series to battle friends with.

The amount of rallying and fan support we sent in was truly remarkable, and I do feel that we may have made an impact.

It feels like so many are gone, and that I have trouble trying to find my place in the Roy community socially. I make a lot of flubs, I used to get on peoples' cases pretty hard, and I've inadvertently started topics that shouldn't be here while not putting enough energy into things that will make the social a more enjoyable environment. It's harder when we're here for much more diverse and different reasons than the support days.
Overall I brought more negativity than positivity after we met our goals, even if a select few here have some respect for me it can't really be denied.
My behavior went downhill after I lost that sense of a really connected family and after a lot went down in my personal life, and I didn't care as much. I tried to put up strong facades as I went through the motions until each snap, and I'm trying now to dig myself out of it. Maybe I'll get there. I hit a recent slump with weight too, but I'm digging myself out again. I've been to the gym and pool consistently all week. Maybe I'll be thin and healthy someday.

Honestly, we'll never reach that level of connection again as a community (because of our circumstances back then and just how much more we wanted the same thing, how hardened we became after years of hate, things being at stake to begin with, overall too much to account for), but I can definitely improve, form some strong bonds, keep some bonds from the support days, and try to help the community in what matters, the present and the future.

Tomorrow I'll probably share my thoughts on FE Fates as a whole, and my experiences with completing all three Lunatic routes.

Golden Sun: The Lost Age is also really, really good. Better than the original in every way imo, especially with making Felix the MC.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Isn't it being released around the same time as Zelda NX or something? I saw something like that skimming social media earlier.
Basically. The Zelda game that was meant to be originally Wii U 2016, but now it's been delayed to be released with the NX. I ean, i can see the thinking, but come on Nintendo, it better be worth the wait other wise i will be sad

Thoughts on Lunatic modes, difficulties in general, PvP, and DLC for Fates:

Conquest Lunatic had way too many infinite use status staves and reinforcements hordes, it ultimately wasn't fun. Revelation already has a lot of map gimmicks that revolve around waiting around or padding out maps in the Vallite portion, and these were only exacerbated heavily by Lunatic. My favorite part of both was when units who joined would be one-shotted and deal 0 damage on recruitment, while characters like Benny were completely fine on recruitment :glare:. Birthright was at least straightforward and quick without as much bs on Lunatic, so I enjoyed it most as a Lunatic mode.

The Lunatics in this game honestly suck and lack any sort of real thought or design, they at least give you a LOT of breathing room for earlygame units until the route split, at least in comparison to Awakening. I enjoyed Lunatic's design choices more here than in Awakening.

The most fun I had on a playthrough was Conquest Normal, there was genuine challenge and that Fire Emblem feel I craved, without going overboard or becoming too polarizing towards any playable units.

PvP is garbo, it's not worth raising units for or putting effort into. It's mainly the horrid matchmaking with no real regard for the power of teams that ruins it. I either wait through witch skill lockdown as I can't do anything, or steamroll teams who have pretty much no caps met or no skill/item optimization whatsoever. I don't understand why so many ****lords abuse lockdown when there's no merit to winning/losing in PvP and when it doesn't look fun to set up or use at all. It seems tedious to grind for, and more tedious to set up every single battle.

The witch class ruined PvP. That class has multiple skills which break the game, especially against other players. I should have tried online before witch/ballastician release. Witches are not only ruining smash competitively, but they've been hitting FE as well.

There's really no in-betweens or any real battles from my experience. I had close to ONE in a good number of match attempts and ended up steamrolling despite one major misplay. Hopefully the Ryoma/Kaze/Midori/Corrin/Laslow I optimized come into use for some balls-hard DLC at some point, similar to Apotheosis.

I WANT to support grind, but I was really burned out on the game, and kept going with Lunatic for all three routes and trying PvP. I plan to at some point, the supports in this game are hit-or-miss but mostly hits. I enjoy reading most of them, even the misses that seem to force unnatural character interaction or chemistry are enjoyable enough to be worth working towards.

Vanguard Dawn and Hidden Truths are pretty lit DLC, I don't plan to buy much at all unless it's really worth the dough. Their stronger story in comparison to the rest of the DLC, their great rewards (rare reclass items that you can farm, books to teach Vanguard skills to female units), and their nods to previous games set them pretty high up. They just appeal to me far more than the rest so far, a lot of the DLC looks lame in terms of paid content. I don't want to fall into the same trap I did with Awakening... it's disgusting that I bought all of Awakening's DLC bundles and didn't realize until long after that I spent 52 dollars on it all at its lowest price, 12 more bucks than the game for a fraction of the game's content. I really regret that decision and I'm going to try and avoid it.

If I want to sink that much money into FE again, the only contender's gonna be the Fire Emblem TCG with the Binding Blade and Radiant Dawn sets in June. ;)

Oh yeah, fun fact: Roy has the same ledge autosnap with his up-b as Cloud. Meaning you can airdodge or fastfall airdodge, then up-b to grab the ledge almost instantaneously after the airdodge. I've been using this as a recovery mixup a LOT, I should make a video on it soon. It's pretty safe and satisfying to pull off. Since recovery is one of our worst aspects, having this in our toolkit will make us a little more rounded.

Another fun fact: While the Smashville platform is moving, you can true combo jab into itself for an upwards of 40-50 damage. Take a look at this in training mode, lmao. This can link into up smash, up tilt, forward tilt, blazer, and even fsmash. It's hard to pull off in actual matches because who the hell is going to jump onto the Smashville platform with you when trying to pressure you, but the amount of reward is massive and those situations will sometimes pop up.

Also, a player named Eden has put excellent use into Roy lately, and you can see their sets here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr5BWZQKQhM (Roy vs. DJ Jack's Ryu)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGT33Lyp_bY (Roy vs. Leo's Little Mac)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLWMjx1fqvM (Roy vs. Shawdy's Link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdDgm6bZeYo (Roy vs. Shadels's DK)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-A4PwYZsto (Roy vs. Purple Guy's Zelda)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6EsV3gwjuQ (Roy vs. Coffee's Greninja)

They got pretty far into bracket, and I'm pretty impressed by their play. From movement and technical options, to poking and prodding to condition an opponent, to good recovery mixups, to overall powerful character and matchup knowledge, I definitely feel that a lot can be learned and implemented from this gameplay for us Roy players.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Thoughts on Lunatic modes, difficulties in general, PvP, and DLC for Fates:

Conquest Lunatic had way too many infinite use status staves and reinforcements hordes, it ultimately wasn't fun. Revelation already has a lot of map gimmicks that revolve around waiting around or padding out maps in the Vallite portion, and these were only exacerbated heavily by Lunatic. My favorite part of both was when units who joined would be one-shotted and deal 0 damage on recruitment, while characters like Benny were completely fine on recruitment :glare:. Birthright was at least straightforward and quick without as much bs on Lunatic, so I enjoyed it most as a Lunatic mode.

The Lunatics in this game honestly suck and lack any sort of real thought or design, they at least give you a LOT of breathing room for earlygame units until the route split, at least in comparison to Awakening. I enjoyed Lunatic's design choices more here than in Awakening.

The most fun I had on a playthrough was Conquest Normal, there was genuine challenge and that Fire Emblem feel I craved, without going overboard or becoming too polarizing towards any playable units.

PvP is garbo, it's not worth raising units for or putting effort into. It's mainly the horrid matchmaking with no real regard for the power of teams that ruins it. I either wait through witch skill lockdown as I can't do anything, or steamroll teams who have pretty much no caps met or no skill/item optimization whatsoever. I don't understand why so many ****lords abuse lockdown when there's no merit to winning/losing in PvP and when it doesn't look fun to set up or use at all. It seems tedious to grind for, and more tedious to set up every single battle.

The witch class ruined PvP. That class has multiple skills which break the game, especially against other players. I should have tried online before witch/ballastician release. Witches are not only ruining smash competitively, but they've been hitting FE as well.

There's really no in-betweens or any real battles from my experience. I had close to ONE in a good number of match attempts and ended up steamrolling despite one major misplay. Hopefully the Ryoma/Kaze/Midori/Corrin/Laslow I optimized come into use for some balls-hard DLC at some point, similar to Apotheosis.

I WANT to support grind, but I was really burned out on the game, and kept going with Lunatic for all three routes and trying PvP. I plan to at some point, the supports in this game are hit-or-miss but mostly hits. I enjoy reading most of them, even the misses that seem to force unnatural character interaction or chemistry are enjoyable enough to be worth working towards.

Vanguard Dawn and Hidden Truths are pretty lit DLC, I don't plan to buy much at all unless it's really worth the dough. Their stronger story in comparison to the rest of the DLC, their great rewards (rare reclass items that you can farm, books to teach Vanguard skills to female units), and their nods to previous games set them pretty high up. They just appeal to me far more than the rest so far, a lot of the DLC looks lame in terms of paid content. I don't want to fall into the same trap I did with Awakening... it's disgusting that I bought all of Awakening's DLC bundles and didn't realize until long after that I spent 52 dollars on it all at its lowest price, 12 more bucks than the game for a fraction of the game's content. I really regret that decision and I'm going to try and avoid it.

If I want to sink that much money into FE again, the only contender's gonna be the Fire Emblem TCG with the Binding Blade and Radiant Dawn sets in June. ;)

Oh yeah, fun fact: Roy has the same ledge autosnap with his up-b as Cloud. Meaning you can airdodge or fastfall airdodge, then up-b to grab the ledge almost instantaneously after the airdodge. I've been using this as a recovery mixup a LOT, I should make a video on it soon. It's pretty safe and satisfying to pull off. Since recovery is one of our worst aspects, having this in our toolkit will make us a little more rounded.

Another fun fact: While the Smashville platform is moving, you can true combo jab into itself for an upwards of 40-50 damage. Take a look at this in training mode, lmao. This can link into up smash, up tilt, forward tilt, blazer, and even fsmash. It's hard to pull off in actual matches because who the hell is going to jump onto the Smashville platform with you when trying to pressure you, but the amount of reward is massive and those situations will sometimes pop up.

Also, a player named Eden has put excellent use into Roy lately, and you can see their sets here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr5BWZQKQhM (Roy vs. DJ Jack's Ryu)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGT33Lyp_bY (Roy vs. Leo's Little Mac)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLWMjx1fqvM (Roy vs. Shawdy's Link)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdDgm6bZeYo (Roy vs. Shadels's DK)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-A4PwYZsto (Roy vs. Purple Guy's Zelda)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6EsV3gwjuQ (Roy vs. Coffee's Greninja)

They got pretty far into bracket, and I'm pretty impressed by their play. From movement and technical options, to poking and prodding to condition an opponent, to good recovery mixups, to overall powerful character and matchup knowledge, I definitely feel that a lot can be learned and implemented from this gameplay for us Roy players.
Shawdy's Link actually isn't that good. The MU is pretty rough for Roy in my experience. Shawdy just wasn't playing the MU. Congrats to him for doing well as Roy in tournament though, definitely.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Up-tilt True Shoryu must be one of the cheapest way to get a stock.

After we have Bayo 0-Death but it need a read.

Next to that we have Cloud Limit Side-b. But it need a read.

And after that we have Witch Time but it need a read.

Even Sheik pre-patch was a 50/50.

But getting a stock this earlier with a such ridiculus and stupid and easy combo is lame...

Literraly one of the most safe and fastest up-tilt...

To an Up-b... or one of the most basic move one a fighting game... especially in smash where there a lot of frame buffering to do Ryu's move...

I always want to cringe each time i see an up-tilt lock...

Or i cringe each time i see an easy and stupid kill confirm..

Thanks god ZSS ladder was patched and that MK ladder is hard to do now...

Last edited:
Top Bottom