• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
Also, I'm probably going to abandon the project aiming to get him buffed. It's not worth my time. If someone wants to pick up my script and footage so far, they can. I can direct them to footage if they need it. I'd rather work on resources we actually need and things that will help optimize the character. We have a severe lack of optimization on many things, on top of no stage guides or counterpicking info, no guides outside of summer hype or people who try to get guides out on every single character such as Jtails and JoeKing, etc. We don't have proper resources from dedicated Roys, we don't have any Roys who are close to optimized, and we spend too much time formulating buffs or ways to make them more likely. We need to become more knowledgeable on the character so we can make these informed resources, and we need to put in the effort to optimize our character if the meta is going to be a constant topic we always **** around about and never put constructive effort into.

There's a reason Ike is good. He has stage info, counterpick info, tons of labbing videos, dedicated professionals who constantly put out content, and people who push unorthodox things such as back throw and footstooling. It's easy to look into and learn Ike because of the community's resources, and there's many things to push him with. What does Roy have?

We need to stop talking about how Roy is so outclassed by Ike or Cloud or Corrin or whoever, and the whole woe is me victim attitude with needing buffs and being low in the eyes of others, and start working on tech chasing, throw 50/50's, mobility options, matchup info, stage info, optimizing things such as our combo throws, and making everything in our play count.

I think we should advance his meta instead of waiting for it to happen, and contribute more socially to make this a proper social thread. Tbh I've been the cause of a lot of people not wanting to be more social, and I've been one of the laziest when it comes to optimizing. There's a lot more I want to rant on, but I'd like to start here.

My words aren't going to mean much until I get that throw video out, but I'm seriously irritated with how slowly we're progressing, and a lot of it's my fault. I'm not going to let this character remain meme status with "Roy's our boy" or "t3h phire" or "hehe he shares a name with Roy koopa look at my comedic genius" or "Fire Marth" forever. Even if nothing happens, I'm at least going to put my weight into advancing the character, and trying to be better socially online.
I hear you I've been doing the same myself at my weeklies. I've been making decent progress but I need more knowledge about match ups so I know the best time to play Roy. Also after playing in the tourney setting for a few weeks i'm finding is isn't as hard to make that reads needed to end stocks because I've amped up my aggro while still maintaining my spacing, overall I've just been playing Roy in a very freeform kinda way. But that Rosa MU still makes me cry T_T prob going to just play Ike instead when that happens.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
A post I made in the old Roy Support thread from one year ago...

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-support-thread.324203/page-103#post-19162280

To think how times have changed since last year. Roy's reveal/release date was in question and a lot of people insisted that Roy would be revealed in July when people like me kept on saying that he would be revealed at E3 in June which he did end up being revealed.

The wait was also very tedious as you can see from my post lol. May was going on and on and I just wanted E3 to come. Such a sharp contrast to this year where I don't really care about E3 due to Zelda being the only thing Nintendo's going to show and that there's nothing there to really sink my teeth in to other than the potential Crash revival.

Kinda miss those days to a certain degree for the times we supported Roy against the detractors who tried to derail or even live in denial about Roy's inclusion. Was a fun time with all the discussions we had. Names from that thread that come to mind other than myself..

dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523
@ChronoBound
@Croph
@~ Valkyrie ~

@Adeptmune (Where art tho?)
@SSB4 Roy Pharae
T Tahu Mata

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Also, I'm probably going to abandon the project aiming to get him buffed. It's not worth my time. If someone wants to pick up my script and footage so far, they can. I can direct them to footage if they need it. I'd rather work on resources we actually need and things that will help optimize the character. We have a severe lack of optimization on many things, on top of no stage guides or counterpicking info, no guides outside of summer hype or people who try to get guides out on every single character such as Jtails and JoeKing, etc. We don't have proper resources from dedicated Roys, we don't have any Roys who are close to optimized, and we spend too much time formulating buffs or ways to make them more likely. We need to become more knowledgeable on the character so we can make these informed resources, and we need to put in the effort to optimize our character if the meta is going to be a constant topic we always **** around about and never put constructive effort into.

There's a reason Ike is good. He has stage info, counterpick info, tons of labbing videos, dedicated professionals who constantly put out content, and people who push unorthodox things such as back throw and footstooling. It's easy to look into and learn Ike because of the community's resources, and there's many things to push him with. What does Roy have?

We need to stop talking about how Roy is so outclassed by Ike or Cloud or Corrin or whoever, and the whole woe is me victim attitude with needing buffs and being low in the eyes of others, and start working on tech chasing, throw 50/50's, mobility options, matchup info, stage info, optimizing things such as our combo throws, and making everything in our play count.

I think we should advance his meta instead of waiting for it to happen, and contribute more socially to make this a proper social thread. Tbh I've been the cause of a lot of people not wanting to be more social, and I've been one of the laziest when it comes to optimizing. There's a lot more I want to rant on, but I'd like to start here.

My words aren't going to mean much until I get that throw video out, but I'm seriously irritated with how slowly we're progressing, and a lot of it's my fault. I'm not going to let this character remain meme status with "Roy's our boy" or "t3h phire" or "hehe he shares a name with Roy koopa look at my comedic genius" or "Fire Marth" forever. Even if nothing happens, I'm at least going to put my weight into advancing the character, and trying to be better socially online.
But Roy's our Boy :(

I mean, I can understand where you are coming from and applaud you decision.

I've only said what I said because will i much prefer to be optimistic about things, I'm generally more realistic and I'm just looking at this situation at a realistic view.

But that's just me

:135:

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Good news, I have labbing completely done and filmed for No DI/DI in/DI out on dthrow and fthrow. I also have footage on what to do for throw 50/50's and tech chasing. It's in Versus, but I SD after everything in order to prevent staling, and there's no rage. I'm going to play around with those and see how much they do. I might just do what San does and just make them a short note in the description.

My goal is to find when each is optimal, or when each covers more options/better options.

If there is an update like the rumored 10th one, then I will have to start over completely. But I don't mind, since I'd know how to re-approach this completely and do even better.

For now, I'll sit back and wait to see if there is an update or not that would affect replays, then hop into it again afterwards.
That's definitely a step in the right direction and I agree we need more of this type of data to be figured out if we want to see our character progress. The more research time and data we put into the character, the faster we develop and the faster we optimize ourselves, as a whole.

Not sure if we have any threads dedicated to discussing matchups but I could see that being utilized for us if we have enough discussion, even if people don't have much experience just their input on the matchup would be good until we start getting data on our most optimal combos or best stage choices from a pick/ban perspective.

We might need to brainstorm some ideas for what we should gather information on and maybe make it sort of like a community to-do list for when we have free time.

Last edited:
I have fthrow and dthrow completely labbed (minus Puff/Kirby situations and fastfaller/heavyweight situations) with No DI, DI In, and DI Out accounted for with footage.

Depending on if there's a patch tonight or not, I may or may not lose all of that footage. That's no big deal, since I'll know how to approach it better and get better footage.

I want to do an extensive video on fthrow vs. dthrow, and save uthrow (and maybe bthrow) for another video, as well as other combo starters.
I.E: A video dedicated to jab combos and maybe neutral usage only.

With the buffs project, I feel that abandoning it entirely would only be a rash decision that only got hopes up, but I don't want to play victim and spread pessimism on Roy. I need to think hard on a way to approach it in a way I can be happy with.

I also may make a brief, subjective stage guide, since I have a stretch of time today where one of the few things I'll be able to do is write in a notebook, and I could shape it differently over time and take feedback into consideration.

That's all for this morning. Now to head out and see how the day goes.

Serew

Smash Apprentice
Okay so, first of all. That's why we pointed out multiple times why these buff discussions are bad.
And again, another thing that has been pointed out multiple times is that some people are actually working on Roy, it's not like there's no progress at all :p
And for me: the lack of videos is pretty much because i've been working on my own improvement instead and i have to keep my own energy in mind, so i'm sticking more to the small discoveries that could be good or fun.

Now on another subject: a first step for more social.. uhhh

Who's seen the new Pokemon sun and moon footage and is pretty hyped? :D
Not a huge fan of the pokemon so far (rowlet is cute though) but i don't dislike them either.
The game looked great though! I'm curious to see if it's also gonna be working fine on old 3ds systems.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hmm.

Concerning match-up discussions, I'm the one that has the OP for the stickied MU directory for Roy (link), which links to the individual MU discussion threads. Tbh, though, Discord is a better tool for the job of handling JMUs (joint match-up discussions, bringing together two groups to discuss the MU between them). Right now @ZeroKarma is leading the push on collecting and compiling MU analyses, here is a link to the google document directory with resources collected from several places.

On another note, the tournament results thread OP (link) is not currently being maintained, but the google spreadsheet (link) is. Rules for submission there are:

(1) Must use Roy 80% or more.
(2) Must win at least 3 sets
(3) Must have more than 20 people/10 teams (doubles)
(4) Must be offline

On another another note, the Player-Finder thread (link) is still being maintained as well. At some point a while ago I broke down the listings for the US due to how many there were, so US is listed by general region atm. Not sure how many of them still use Roy atm though.

---

Not a huge fan of the pokemon so far (rowlet is cute though) but i don't dislike them either.
The game looked great though! I'm curious to see if it's also gonna be working fine on old 3ds systems.
I'm not sure which starter I'm going to go with. Rowlet soooooo cute, but I like cats, so I'm thinking Litten is a definite possibility if the final evolution looks good. Also not sure which of the games I'm going to get yet. I like the look of the lion in Sun, but the bat looks pretty majestic for Moon. Tough choices all around lol.

Also, time to go fanarting again. :p I have so much good fanart for the trio already, especially rowlet, it's hard to pick lol.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
I haven't been a huge fan of the starters in the recent generations but these starters are really appealing to me.
Interesting to see what appears to be another grass/flying type, I think that's what caught my eye the most.
I really like the fire cat too :3 lol

Also sorry for maybe wording my earlier post in such a way that seems imply little to no progress is being made, I don't want to belittle any of you that are actively collecting data on our character. I'll admit I haven't gone and researched the things that we currently DO have information on and I'm not apart of discord yet but from what I've heard there are definitely people in there making progress as well.

One thing I want to mention that I noticed about Roy, and how we have "Crouch Sliding" and the slide from our turnaround animation. We also get a small slide after reaching max walk speed, returning stick to neutral, then continue to press froward to start the "walk animation" again that seems to have a cause or effect on our slides. Not as much distance as the turnaround, might be same distance after crouch but it definitely seems faster then our normal walk speed.

Edit: another thing I want to mention, Sethlon recently did a stream analysis for bayonetta. He uploads them to youtube but here is the Twitch vod for those fine with the twitch player. https://www.twitch.tv/sethlon/v/65390371

Last edited:

Serew

Smash Apprentice
I haven't been a huge fan of the starters in the recent generations but these starters are really appealing to me.
Interesting to see what appears to be another grass/flying type, I think that's what caught my eye the most.
I really like the fire cat too :3 lol

Also sorry for maybe wording my earlier post in such a way that seems imply little to no progress is being made, I don't want to belittle any of you that are actively collecting data on our character. I'll admit I haven't gone and researched the things that we currently DO have information on and I'm not apart of discord yet but from what I've heard there are definitely people in there making progress as well.

One thing I want to mention that I noticed about Roy, and how we have "Crouch Sliding" and the slide from our turnaround animation. We also get a small slide after reaching max walk speed, returning stick to neutral, then continue to press froward to start the "walk animation" again that seems to have a cause or effect on our slides. Not as much distance as the turnaround, might be same distance after crouch but it definitely seems faster then our normal walk speed.

Edit: another thing I want to mention, Sethlon recently did a stream analysis for bayonetta. He uploads them to youtube but here is the Twitch vod for those fine with the twitch player. https://www.twitch.tv/sethlon/v/65390371
i made a video on the crouch sliding before, should be in my video thread :) there should be a link to the turnourand slide in the description there, i also have an unlisted video of movement things which i'll post here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCWQ8Qmj12I

Okay so, first of all. That's why we pointed out multiple times why these buff discussions are bad.
And again, another thing that has been pointed out multiple times is that some people are actually working on Roy, it's not like there's no progress at all :p
And for me: the lack of videos is pretty much because i've been working on my own improvement instead and i have to keep my own energy in mind, so i'm sticking more to the small discoveries that could be good or fun.

All I know about is the matchup thread where MU's are discussed from time to time. Other than that, I don't see much development or improvement efforts around, though I might not be looking hard enough. If there's a lot I don't know about, then I'd like to be directed to it.

I tend to have the same dilemma as well :urg: I figure that my personal improvement doesn't really matter when I could pump out resources instead since even in-state tournaments and literally any other players are hours away and something I barely get to go to, and I'm trying to compete with people who go to 3-4 tournaments a week which gets annoying and makes me wonder if I'll ever catch up. I'm used to driving 2-3 hours, then crashing on someone's couch, which means I'm fatigued for whatever events for each trip. Even having a player a half hour away would be a godsend.
Because of that, I might lean towards the resources side, trying to pump out resources for the community so that more fortunate players can utilize them. If I'm ever in a more fortunate position to go to more tournaments, and where I have the money to travel more, then I might focus more on myself as a player.
Either way, I don't mind it. I have to make the best of what I'm given.

I can look at Solaire/Moon Man footage this evening.

I really like the art direction and new setting from the few screenshots I've seen, but I find the starters to be pretty meh and honestly really ugly and offputting. It's the first time where at least one basic starter hasn't caught my eye. Hopefully the final evolutions change my mind.

I dig that it's based on Hawaii from what I've heard, but with how disappointed I've been post-BW2, I'm not sure if I want to pay full retail for another base continent or mainline Pokemon game. I'll likely wait out the hype and see if the game is worth getting first.

I hear the legendaries are pretty cool, I'll take a look at them as well.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Rowlet for the win!

I've always loved Grass types and this guy is just adorable :3

Plus the memes that have come from him XD

Though I'm not to sure how I feel about the legendaries. I mean, Sun's Lion one is pretty cool but Moon's Bat.... I don't know. I'm a bit iff about him

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

ikr! Though, Grass/flying...is kind of a bad typing. </3

I think the bat looks pretty majestic. idk which of the two games I'm getting yet though.
Yeah, though honestly it's better than just plain old Grass or plain old Flying, since it now cancels out Bug Type Weakness, Rock and makes versing Ground types even more OP. Though I honestly reckon Grass and Steel would be the best typing. Maybe.

Also he has a bow tie. Bow ties are cool

Yeah, I'd just need a better look at it.

Though looking at the fan art, it kind of reminded me of something.

Am I the only one who thinks that Litten looks a little like that Cat of Kiki's Deliver Service?

Last edited:
OH MY GOD

THE LEGENDARIES

THE BEASTS FROM BATTLE NETWORK 6

GREGAR GOT JACKED UP AND FALZAR TURNED INTO A ******* FOLDABLE FRISBEE

Last edited:

Valzy

Smash Cadet
Grass/Flying isn't that great defensively, but it's decent offensively. I've always wanted a good Grass/Flying type (Shaymin doesn't count)

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Grass/Flying isn't that great defensively, but it's decent offensively. I've always wanted a good Grass/Flying type (Shaymin doesn't count)
Yeah, if they make Rowlett the next Greninja, then everything should be sweet

Plus, it means one less worry of trying to pick a Flying Type for Fly.

The starters are starting to grow on me, though there's none in particular that stand out enough to pick a favorite yet.

I really like that we're getting another dual-type basic stage starter, I don't think we've had one since Bulbasaur and I love Bulbasaur. Bulbasaur had a really cool typing, and I hope this new owl makes better use of Grass/Flying than Tropius.
If it has stuff like Power Whip, Acrobatics, Leaf Storm, Hurricane, Wood Hammer, or Brave Bird, then that'd be pretty hype.

I could imagine a cool recoil ability on the final evolution with Wood Hammer and Brave Bird, and if it's bulky, it could just Roost back up.

If that's the case, Head Smash would be cool on it as well, or something to help with what Flying/Grass doesn't cover.

Ice Shard would likely tear it apart and somewhat balance it, to keep it in check. Plus I'm not sure off the top of my head how good of a coverage Grass/Flying has, probably not that great.

Mainly, I'm looking forward to the art the TCG might get. I never truly got to play it like I wanted, but the art has so much charm to it. I'm also looking forward to games outside of the mainline, since the newest Mystery Dungeon is really good and improved on the weaknesses of Gates. A seventh-gen one with a tropical environment (similar to Sun/Moon) would be really neat, and I've loving the art direction and setting of Sun/Moon from what I've seen.

We might see a lot at E3. I don't know what's going on with Nintendo besides Zelda, but regardless, I'm excited for the event in general. I'm excited to possibly watch it or discuss it with other Roy mains.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I have been doing a bit of think in regards to Rowlett's Super Effectives and Weakness as a Flying/Grass type and at the moment it doesn't seem to bad.

Here's what I got (please say if I missed anything, since I am no Poke expert)
Super Effective vs

Water
Ground
Rock
Bug

Not very Effective vs

Steel
Ice
Fire
Poison
Dragon (for Grass moves)
Bug (Grass Only)

Types that are Super effective against Rowlett

Posion x2
Fire x2
Ice x4

Not very Effective against Rowlett

Water
Ground (no effect)

Nothing either way

Rock
Electric
Dark
Fairy
Psychic
Normal

Sum it all up, it's nothing too special, but I personally think it's better than just vallina Grass type

I have been doing a bit of think in regards to Rowlett's Super Effectives and Weakness as a Flying/Grass type and at the moment it doesn't seem to bad.

Here's what I got (please say if I missed anything, since I am no Poke expert)
Super Effective vs

Water
Ground
Rock
Bug

Not very Effective vs

Steel
Ice
Fire
Poison
Dragon (for Grass moves)
Bug (Grass Only)

Types that are Super effective against Rowlett

Posion x2
Fire x2
Ice x4

Not very Effective against Rowlett

Water
Ground (no effect)

Nothing either way

Rock
Electric
Dark
Fairy
Psychic
Normal

Sum it all up, it's nothing too special, but I personally think it's better than just vallina Grass type

For the most part, this is spot-on. Rock would be super-effective against Rowlet, it'd only take 1/4 damage from grass attacks, and Ice doesn't resist Flying or Grass defensively. Rowlet would just hit Ice for regular damage with its STAB moves. Flying would hit Poison for normal damage.

I missed a bit myself and had to use a type calculator to make sure I caught everything.

It also resists Fighting, too, but that's about it.

It could have some beastly coverage. If it had Wood Hammer/Brave Bird/Earthquake, then it'd cover Steel and Fire, and some more dual-types, which is pretty neat. Only Zapdos, Skarmory, Emolga, both forms of Thundurus, and Rotom-Fan would resist it, which is much better than Grass/Flying by itself. If it's special-based, I guess Earth Power could help it, too, but it'd be less likely to learn that.

I'm hoping that it ultimately has a good build. Good usage of the typical starter BST, a good ability, and a good movepool that leads to a strong niche could do wonders for it. Hopefully it's not overtuned like Greninja/BW Blaziken, but hopefully it's not another mediocre starter either. My favorite starter is pretty mediocre and it feels bad that they haven't had a chance to shine yet. Hoping they will this gen, but it's been a decade and a half, so I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Also he has a bow tie. Bow ties are cool

They are, aren't they? :)

Rowlett would need speed to be good offensively, much more than bulk. It's weak to some of the most common attacking types, specifically ice, rock, fire, and flying. The ice weakness is the most crippling, since most water types can carry an ice move and 4x weakness means even non-STAB cover moves (i.e. hidden power ice, one of the most common hidden power types for those pesky pseudo-legendary dragons) will destroy it. This neglects ability though: it might end up like froakie: ability plus stats that allow it to do what it needs to. Or it could end up like fennekin: a fun starter to use in-game, but gets sidelined for competitive play. I also wonder if they'll introduce any major changes to the game's core engine: i.e. EVs, IVs, ability, nature, movesets, typing...we'll have to wait and see lol.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
For the most part, this is spot-on. Rock would be super-effective against Rowlet, it'd only take 1/4 damage from grass attacks, and Ice doesn't resist Flying or Grass defensively. Rowlet would just hit Ice for regular damage with its STAB moves. Flying would hit Poison for normal damage.

I missed a bit myself and had to use a type calculator to make sure I caught everything.

It also resists Fighting, too, but that's about it.

It could have some beastly coverage. If it had Wood Hammer/Brave Bird/Earthquake, then it'd cover Steel and Fire, and some more dual-types, which is pretty neat. Only Zapdos, Skarmory, Emolga, both forms of Thundurus, and Rotom-Fan would resist it, which is much better than Grass/Flying by itself. If it's special-based, I guess Earth Power could help it, too, but it'd be less likely to learn that.

I'm hoping that it ultimately has a good build. Good usage of the typical starter BST, a good ability, and a good movepool that leads to a strong niche could do wonders for it. Hopefully it's not overtuned like Greninja/BW Blaziken, but hopefully it's not another mediocre starter either. My favorite starter is pretty mediocre and it feels bad that they haven't had a chance to shine yet. Hoping they will this gen, but it's been a decade and a half, so I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't.
Oh thanks. Yeah I though Grass was resistant to Rock, so that's why I put it in neutral. Also forgot that it would be Super Effective against Fighting Types too, so that's another pro

Oh man, if Rowlett can learn Steel Wing or something, that would be so help, especially for it's really bad Ice match up

Overall, I'm happy with Rowlett and i personally think he'll suit what I like in a starter very much.

Yeah, I know the feeling. My fav start is Snivy and It's said to see it's really mediocre stats.

They are, aren't they? :)

I actually have something I'm going to do in regards to this with Rowlett. I'll show you when it's done

Valzy

Smash Cadet
Oh thanks. Yeah I though Grass was resistant to Rock, so that's why I put it in neutral. Also forgot that it would be Super Effective against Fighting Types too, so that's another pro

Oh man, if Rowlett can learn Steel Wing or something, that would be so help, especially for it's really bad Ice match up

Overall, I'm happy with Rowlett and i personally think he'll suit what I like in a starter very much.

Yeah, I know the feeling. My fav start is Snivy and It's said to see it's really mediocre stats.

I actually have something I'm going to do in regards to this with Rowlett. I'll show you when it's done

Snivy has Contrary though now, so it's a lot better than it used to be.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Snivy has Contrary though now, so it's a lot better than it used to be.
No sure what that does, but I'm guessing it's good.

I just don't understand why they would give him okay defence and then bad everything else (besides speed)

Why not make him more like Treekco? That would be so much better

Valzy

Smash Cadet
No sure what that does, but I'm guessing it's good.

I just don't understand why they would give him okay defence and then bad everything else (besides speed)

Why not make him more like Treekco? That would be so much better

Contrary reverses stat changes, so if Serperior would normally have a stat decreased, that stat increases, and if it would normally have a stat increased that stat decreases.

Now, what's so good about this is the move Leaf Storm. Leaf Storm is one of the most powerful grass type moves, with a BP of 130, but it has the unfortunate side effect of dropping SpA by two stages. Serperior, however, has its special attack boosted by two stages everytime it uses Leaf Storm, which is extremly good.

Unfortunately for Serperior, the rest of its movepool is terrible, with Dragon Pulse and Hidden Power being its only coverage options, but Contrary Leaf Storm is still pretty sweet.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Do you guys think Substitute's good on Serperior? I'm kind of a casual and not that good, but I had success laddering with it a while back.
No real reason to, tbh. Most substitute users expect to have the sub last more than a turn to help them set up (on a forced switch, for example, or where the coverage move used wouldn't do enough damage to break the sub), or to control the opponent into using certain options. Since Serperior's best option IS its setup move, it doesn't really need it.

An example of a pokemon that could get some use out of substitute would be sub-leech seed sets, or sub-focus punch, or sub-disable, or other sub-stall...things like that lol. Or sub-trap setters, like putting up a sub to prevent getting taunted so they can put down stealth rock.

Last edited:

Valzy

Smash Cadet
Do you guys think Substitute's good on Serperior? I'm kind of a casual and not that good, but I had success laddering with it a while back.
Substitute is usable on Serperior, but I prefer Glare. Giga Drain is also usable in the 4th slot.

This is what I typically use as moves:

Serperior
-Leaf Storm
-Dragon Pulse
-Hidden Power Fire
-Glare

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Ladies and Gentlemen, I represent to you.... Doctor Hoo

10/10

Dang it, I may have to get a 3DS soon. I'm kind of getting in the Pokemon groove again.

A post I made in the old Roy Support thread from one year ago...

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-support-thread.324203/page-103#post-19162280

To think how times have changed since last year. Roy's reveal/release date was in question and a lot of people insisted that Roy would be revealed in July when people like me kept on saying that he would be revealed at E3 in June which he did end up being revealed.

The wait was also very tedious as you can see from my post lol. May was going on and on and I just wanted E3 to come. Such a sharp contrast to this year where I don't really care about E3 due to Zelda being the only thing Nintendo's going to show and that there's nothing there to really sink my teeth in to other than the potential Crash revival.

Kinda miss those days to a certain degree for the times we supported Roy against the detractors who tried to derail or even live in denial about Roy's inclusion. Was a fun time with all the discussions we had. Names from that thread that come to mind other than myself..

dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523
@ChronoBound
@Croph
@~ Valkyrie ~

@Adeptmune (Where art tho?)
@SSB4 Roy Pharae
T Tahu Mata
Oh man, I certainly do remember those times. Stuff certainly has changed in the course of a year.

I'm happy to have supported Roy until the very end, though. Our efforts paid off.

Last edited:
Oh hey, T Tahu Mata . Nice pic of Zabuza! The Land of Waves arc is my favorite part of the show and ultimately stuck with me heavily after leaving sometime during the post-Pain war in the Shippuden manga and losing interest in the future of the series. Zabuza and Haku gave me some of the heaviest feels ever.

Maybe I should change back to Kakashi. I used him for a few days or a week while you were gone.

I don't think I'll ever forget the Land of Waves arc or the Roy support days. It's one of the few parts of Naruto I can revisit to this day, and that satisfying feeling of hard work paying off to help get one of my favorite characters of all time back when people mocked me or told me it was impossible will always stick with me.

What have you been up to?

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Oh hey, T Tahu Mata . Nice pic of Zabuza! The Land of Waves arc is my favorite part of the show and ultimately stuck with me heavily after leaving sometime during the post-Pain war in the Shippuden manga and losing interest in the future of the series. Zabuza and Haku gave me some of the heaviest feels ever.

Maybe I should change back to Kakashi. I used him for a few days or a week while you were gone.

I don't think I'll ever forget the Land of Waves arc or the Roy support days. It's one of the few parts of Naruto I can revisit to this day, and that satisfying feeling of hard work paying off to help get one of my favorite characters of all time back when people mocked me or told me it was impossible will always stick with me.

What have you been up to?
Haha, glad you caught it! I've been doing a revisiting of Naruto recently, and I loved Zabuza's character.

Top 10 favorites right now would probably be:

1. Naruto
2. Kakashi
3. Minato
4. Zabuza
5. Iruka
6. Kushina
7. Gaara
8. Shikamaru
9. Lee
10. Hinata

Been doing the same as usual. Roy/other mains practice, and also been marathoning some anime.

JCav

Smash Lord
Hi everyone, I'm still alive. I've just been too lazy to post on here in the last week since my semester ended lol. I've been trying to keep up with my goal of going to one tournament a week. My results have been pretty average lately however. I feel like I've hit a plateau and I feel like I've been playing to the level of my competition. What I mean is that I'm playing the better players tough but I'm doing stupid things against people that I should beat. Today I realized that I lost way too many stocks trying to go off stage.

I want to mention that I got to play Wolf last week at a regional for a Brawl tournament last week and it felt AMAZING. That character is honestly so much fun. I went to a last hit situation with a PR player in MI (Smasher1001) with Roy and that matchup is so hard but perfect for Wolf. Back to that Brawl tourney tho, I placed just as well as DK WIll, so the Wolf was looking pretty fresh. The air mobility is so similar to Roy that it was such a smooth transition. However, I played VInnie and didn't even take a stock. Ice Climber's is pretty rough when SoPo can chaingrab you until 80%.

I've had a few beers so this post is probably a little hard to decipher but the point is I'm going to play tf out of Roy this summer.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Hi everyone, I'm still alive. I've just been too lazy to post on here in the last week since my semester ended lol. I've been trying to keep up with my goal of going to one tournament a week. My results have been pretty average lately however. I feel like I've hit a plateau and I feel like I've been playing to the level of my competition. What I mean is that I'm playing the better players tough but I'm doing stupid things against people that I should beat. Today I realized that I lost way too many stocks trying to go off stage.

I want to mention that I got to play Wolf last week at a regional for a Brawl tournament last week and it felt AMAZING. That character is honestly so much fun. I went to a last hit situation with a PR player in MI (Smasher1001) with Roy and that matchup is so hard but perfect for Wolf. Back to that Brawl tourney tho, I placed just as well as DK WIll, so the Wolf was looking pretty fresh. The air mobility is so similar to Roy that it was such a smooth transition. However, I played VInnie and didn't even take a stock. Ice Climber's is pretty rough when SoPo can chaingrab you until 80%.

I've had a few beers so this post is probably a little hard to decipher but the point is I'm going to play tf out of Roy this summer.
That's the spirit, having fun playing the game while you get better is what it's all about. Having a chance to play vinnie must have been really fun too even though it's ice climbers.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Reddit's currently having a discussion on Roy, if you all are interested:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/4jn10r/character_discussion_week_17_roy_seals_the_deal/

If you guys find any negative comments in such a thread, don't spread them here. Please keep it civil if you're participating: Don't insult any of Roy's detractors and explain your thoughts clearly.

Of course though, if things get bad, you can just leave, lol.

I'm not participating myself because I'm not well versed in competitive play, but if you all think you are, feel free to chime in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom