• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
We getting a patch, it seems -

• [*]It will include balance changes to the game
    [*]The patch size will be 61MB for the Wii U version and a whopping 325MB for the 3DS version
    [*]Replays from 1.1.5 will presumably be abolished, so be sure to save your best replays as soon as possible
    [*]The update will drop sometime this month (May)

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Pray for Roys melee D-Tilt
Honestly, I rather have the Devs keep Roy's D-Tilt the way it is currently is since the move is really good at setting up for Fair edgeguards and Double-edge dance combos, as well as edge guarding safety on the ledge. A reduction to Jab's endlag would probably achieve the same results as the new D-Tilt angle anyways.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Honestly, I rather have the Devs keep Roy's D-Tilt the way it is currently is since the move is really good at setting up for Fair edgeguards and Double-edge dance combos, as well as edge guarding safety on the ledge. A reduction to Jab's endlag would probably achieve the same results as the new D-Tilt angle anyways.
Keep new Dtilt, but increase knockback growth or reduce angle and hitbox size. Makes it better at gimping

:135:

ImmortalJD99

Smash Rookie
NNID
ImmortalJD99
New Roy player here. Main Bowser and probably going to start co-maining Roy. My main problem is his recovery. I can combo and gimp just fine. If they gave him super armor on his aerial up B like he has on his grounded up B, that would be great.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
New Roy player here. Main Bowser and probably going to start co-maining Roy. My main problem is his recovery. I can combo and gimp just fine. If they gave him super armor on his aerial up B like he has on his grounded up B, that would be great.
Wait. Wait wait. He doesn't have super armor on aerial up-B?
I might have played him super risky then... and lucked out if this is the case.

I'm excited for this new patch, I just want it to get here already. I had a bit of time to drop by the social, so I figured I'd toss down a topic I've been thinking about. It's a bit lengthy and I guess not relevant to much but I like letting out my thoughts like this and speculating with others :p it brings back those classic DLC support thread feelings.

Corrin's starting to grow on me lately. I have the character as a fun project atm and may use them to cover certain tournament matchups in the future when I drop a game or get a certain stage. I've had a lot of funny moments lately playing them, and overall I'm having a blast.

I think I finally truly understand how some Roy detractors who warmed up to him over time may have felt.

I ramble about the character here.
I vehemently hated their inclusion at first, for a handful of reasons.
It was really offputting to me that Robin and Lucina made up 50% of Fire Emblem's representation here at one point, and a strong part in me pushing for Roy was balancing out classic representation with modern representation and filling a hole in the middle of the series with Elibe. All Corrin did was bring that issue of mine back, with yet another modern 3DS character.
Enough people harassed me when I supported Roy about there already being more than enough Fire Emblem characters at 4, and with Corrin, I saw a fresh sea of 6 character complaints coming, and I knew some of my favorite characters would just be lumped into it yet again. I wanted that salt from the community to be far from relevant. It made me angrier at the character's inclusion.
All this time, also I kept thinking about how it could have been someone like Wolf instead, and how it's dumb that so little came from the ballot while some draconic deviantart twit with insignificant demand got in.

Over time, the representation Corrin brought bothered me less, as they're a fun character with a really cool design and concept, and I would much rather have Corrin over some super overrated lord that I wouldn't hear the end of like Hector or Ephraim. There's also a lot of popular picks overall I'm very sure I'd like Corrin over. I'm starting to really value the love and detail that went into Corrin's moveset, and I admire all of the cool nuances of their design. They truly were what a lot of us wanted out of a Fire Emblem design or newcomer.

The Fire Emblem complaints have pretty much died down, and it's really only an idiot or two now and then outside of my friends who brings it up randomly in a Smash discussion or group, usually it's already a toxic person or discussion to begin with. People will say x deserves a cut, or complain with a typical complaint, but it's just someone being salty here and there. People still want to make a big deal over it even though it won't do anything to Smash itself.
I've seen the series as deserving of a lot of characters for quite some time now. It was dominating handhelds, coming back to consoles, and seeing a TCG revival. Now it's coming to mobile gaming and considered a major IP. Who is someone to say that a series with hundreds of characters and great success lately only deserves x characters in a Nintendo crossover? It's always been a flawed argument outside of these kinds of justifications to begin with, and people really go overboard with it.

Envy hit, too. Corrin doesn't have endless misconceptions about their character, and Roy's too good to be even a Luigified character. I've always wanted him decloned entirely while retaining his mechanics and design, so I looked at Corrin's moveset with envy. But Roy still has pretty great treatment, I love his new design and sometimes take his return for granted, even after pushing hard for it. He's so fast, combo-heavy, and powerful now, and his design doesn't give him noodle arms and brown-ish hair. As someone who started to care about him because of Fire Emblem, I absolutely adore this new design and how it feels like it portrays his build, hair, and other characteristics much closer to source than before. He might get ragged on competitively at times, but I think people are way too pessimistic for no reason. He's got really good tools and matchups, people often don't want to put in that sort of work since he's deceptively hard, and it's easy for us to sometimes fall to toxicity when we get impatient with the grind or take it too seriously. I mean, I do it
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Over time, the negative emotions died down completely after being consistently strong for months, and I'm starting to like this character's design much more. Fates didn't really do anything good or bad for their case, so that's why I didn't talk about it. Ironically Corrin's now one of my favorite characters to play as, and a serious contender for a secondary. I'm beginning to feel really glad about the character's inclusion, and I'm really going to like the coming years of Smash with it.

Tagging anyone who might be interested. T Tahu Mata @SSB4 Roy Pharae

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Ehhh I'm neutral towards Corrin. I think he/she is fun to use, but in the end if they weren't added, I wouldn't care. I also kiiinda don't like FE's new "modern anime"-ish direction it's got going on, which is another reason why I'm not too crazy over Corrin.

I actually couldn't care less about reps. Some franchises just have better characters to choose from than others. I'd take another 2 or 3 Pokemon/Mario/FE etc. characters if they are fun. However, from an objective point of view, I think Corrin was a poor choice for DLC. Sakurai added a 6th FE character despite all the complaints and it's just a bit unwise for him to do. I guess it all payed out in the end, since Fates is selling a lot of copies and since FE is slowly starting to become mainstream. (Speaking of which, where's my FE merch, IS? If you guys are planning on making FE mainstream, why does FE have such little merchandise? It's a bit annoying, lol).

Corrin would have worked out as DLC if Bayo wasn't the last DLC character. I think if we had more 1st/2nd party newcomers and Wolf as DLC, Corrin would have been much better received.

Anyway, I'm kinda hyped about patch 1.1.6. Only kinda though. It's very possible that this may be another patch where Roy is left untouched, or left with buffs that would barely help him in the long run. Because of this, I am going to keep my expectations low. Honestly, I'm just happy that we're still getting patches. My dream is that patches would end at 1.2.0, with most, if not all the characters balanced as much as possible; any character, no matter what tier could have the tools needed to place decently at a tournament. Sure, there will always be better characters, but I want the gap to be as small as possible, you know?

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I've already started playing Roy as if 1.1.6 buffs have come~
ZOMG MY CHARACTER IS SO BROKEN NOW THAT BACK AIR KILLS.
AND JAB OOS ALWAYS WORKS.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaa confidenceeeeeee.

I also basically assume that Sakurai was forced into Corrin and he didn't really have much choice.
The return of investment and internet impressions of both the positive and negative for it has likely been astronomical.

While hearsay, I think Sakurai's role post Ryu/3 R day in design has been a lot less. So many base smash character design decisions we take for granted don't exist on Cloud/Bayo/Corrin (i.e. having applicable whiff punishing within their movesets / hurtboxes that can be hit / etc).

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Word on the street is that only Bayo has changes in the upcoming patch lol. So your words are likely true.

I wasn't expecting Corrin, and tbh, I didn't do much more than voting like, day 1, for characters in terms of support, so I wouldn't have been fussed much one way or the other on the pair's inclusion, but I'm happy they did, since they are my second favorite character in the cast to play as, I think.

EDIT: sniped by airpoizon lol

Last edited:

Airpoizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
(Private)
3DS FC
0946-2898-1267
Word on the street is that only Bayo has changes in the upcoming patch lol. So your words are likely true.

I wasn't expecting Corrin, and tbh, I didn't do much more than voting like, day 1, for characters in terms of support, so I wouldn't have been fussed much one way or the other on the pair's inclusion, but I'm happy they did, since they are my second favorite character in the cast to play as, I think.

EDIT: sniped by airpoizon lol
Sniped like Pits arrows

Ehhh I'm neutral towards Corrin. I think he/she is fun to use, but in the end if they weren't added, I wouldn't care. I also kiiinda don't like FE's new "modern anime"-ish direction it's got going on, which is another reason why I'm not too crazy over Corrin.

I actually couldn't care less about reps. Some franchises just have better characters to choose from than others. I'd take another 2 or 3 Pokemon/Mario/FE etc. characters if they are fun. However, from an objective point of view, I think Corrin was a poor choice for DLC. Sakurai added a 6th FE character despite all the complaints and it's just a bit unwise for him to do. I guess it all payed out in the end, since Fates is selling a lot of copies and since FE is slowly starting to become mainstream. (Speaking of which, where's my FE merch, IS? If you guys are planning on making FE mainstream, why does FE have such little merchandise? It's a bit annoying, lol).

Corrin would have worked out as DLC if Bayo wasn't the last DLC character. I think if we had more 1st/2nd party newcomers and Wolf as DLC, Corrin would have been much better received.

Anyway, I'm kinda hyped about patch 1.1.6. Only kinda though. It's very possible that this may be another patch where Roy is left untouched, or left with buffs that would barely help him in the long run. Because of this, I am going to keep my expectations low. Honestly, I'm just happy that we're still getting patches. My dream is that patches would end at 1.2.0, with most, if not all the characters balanced as much as possible; any character, no matter what tier could have the tools needed to place decently at a tournament. Sure, there will always be better characters, but I want the gap to be as small as possible, you know?
Yeah, I wish Nintendo had more merch in general. You try and get any official merch whatsoever outside of Pokemon, Mario, and Star Fox, you won't find it, especially at Nintendo World (I think that's what it's called). At least Etsy is the homie. There is so much great fan merch on there.

And on the note of patches, it reminds me of a post of mine from earlier:

Please drop already 1.1.6
I need to get the disappointment over with when all the characters I like are hit with "No Changes"

It was a joke though, I'm more hopeful about it and just ready for anything.

50MB updates mostly happened when stages were tweaked, so it'll probably be a huge balance patch. I'm hoping this means most or all characters will have what they need. There's also been a few months to look at how well characters did, as well as look at feedback and play around with potential tweaks, so I'm hopeful. That's a few points towards possibly the best balance patch in the game's history. And maybe there won't be a final number, but they'll put some emphasis on a "Final Version" when it hits.

Godddddddddddddddd I just want it to drop already. I'm excited to see what happens.

Welp, I just read the Bayo posts. GG's. Good. Games.

This guy's trustworthy, so I'm super disappointed that it might just be Bayo. Oh well. Better MU for Roy who already does well against her, so that's a buff. Hopefully there's a mistake somewhere and there's a good reason why it's 50MB that hasn't been discovered yet....
Hopefully it just means it downloads Super Mario 64 into my copy of Smash so I have two copies of it on my Wii U.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I guess the buffs will have to be in my heart this time!!!!
I got top 3 this weekend at a small event (an event too small to request for Tournament Listings </3) and I beat two PR players on the way, including someone who served a mentor role and continually kicked my rear. Just Roy, no secondary usage since nothing popped up that made a switch seem worth it. I pulled a complete 360 from my post-hiatus deal.

It feels nice after a slump. I don't want to expect too much of myself because of it or boast too much outside of that small feeling I want to gush badly about after a lot of self-loathing and feeling like garbage, and I was mostly on a break, but I got an opportunity out of nowhere for a free ride to a small event and took it.

This makes me more hopeful for my future as a Roy main. No changes also means I can still use my labbing footage for a project, and abandon my project to appeal for buffs. Now the weight of not knowing how to decide what to do is gone. My mind feels more clear, strangely.

I feel like there's a more friendly pace for me in the meta now, and that I'll have time to both contribute some things and have fun again without as much pressure.

Last edited:
Stage changes were confirmed by Sammi Husky.

61 MB patch boys.
Do you know which stages? My speculation was that most patches this big involved stage changes, so something big or unorthodox would happen.

Also, do you know if that's the Sammi from the Brawl Minus community? The name rings strong bells.

"Reminder that when people datamined the Cloud patch it only had a few of Cloud's voice clips and only one of the two mii costumes, and no balance changes... Until the actual full patch was released later on, after the direct. This might not be the end."
-Someone from the 1.1.6 thread.

I'm skeptical this kind of thing could happen at this point, but I'm hoping for the best.

Last edited:

ZeroKarma

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4270-3739-6211
Also, time to go fanarting again. :p I have so much good fanart for the trio already, especially rowlet, it's hard to pick lol.

I haven't post here in a while lol but I come back and I don't see Fanroying? Smh En :p

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I'm kind of glad that Bayo is seemingly the only character changed. I say this because imagine what would happen if other characters were buffed but not Roy; he'd go further down the tier list because characters that used to have trouble with him now have better tools to keep him at bay.

For example, I imagine that Mewtwo had quite some trouble with Roy pre patch. Now that he's buffed, he's probably the character who has the advantage in the MU.

Also, I never really found Bayo's nerf to be an indirect buff for most characters. Bayonetta didn't seem to invalidate other characters (aside from heavies of course). It just seems like in order to beat her, you have to play really patiently and DI Her combos correctly, stuff that only high to top level players know how to do consistently. I've seen several Roys beat Bayos before in tournament. The MU was already possible, just tricky. If anything, I found the Ryu or Diddy MU's to be much more frustrating.

The only real frustrating thing about all of this is that we all expected other character changes when there probably weren't any to begin with. That frustrating thought quickly goes away as soon as you realize two things: Roy has slowly been getting better results and now that patches are probably over, the meta can truly develop; Roy doesn't have to deal with any new, potentially hard MUs due to there being no more patches.

Edit: About the whole Cloud patch thing: Keep in mind that no balance changes were written at all, whereas 1.1.6 only has Bayonetta. There's also the argument that patch 1.0.6 is a smaller patch than 1.1.6, yet it still had character changes. Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/4k161w/patch_106_was_42_mb_changelog_inside_and_had_way/

I've heard that the only other things that have been changed in 1.1.6 are the stages, specifically Palutena's Temple and Pokemon Stadium 2, where a few models were changed. Depending on how drastic those changes were, they as well as the Bayo changes might have taken up most if not the entire patch. I suppose only time may tell on this one, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bayo and stages were the only things touched in this patch.

One more thing: Bayonetta and the stage edits may be the only things visible in this patch due to how big they are. Again, it is possible that other characters have been changed, but like always, keep your expectations low.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm glad to see the Bayonettas's Nerf. It's completely deserved.

Someone talk about Corrin yesterday... I'm gonna be honest, I don't hate the Corrin's inclusion because "Fire Emblem Reps" I hate it because this character represents a game that practically sealed the series future to the pandering, a Corrin is one of few characters (at least the CQ Version) I completely hate character-wise.

In the other side at least this inclussion tell us that Nintendo now cares about FE... Too late Nintendo... I'm unsure if I can see the franchise in the same way I did it before.

Fun fact: My First Reaction wasn't puré Salt; actually it was "Oh come on! This is ridiculous! The Smash Fans will hate this... WTF CORRIN XDDD" (this is because the way he was annouced... I found it funny even if I hate him)

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Eh, I was (and still am) in different about Corrin

I mean, it's cool FE is getting some representation and he is definitely a unique character moveset wise

But

I really think when push comes to shove, I would have rather seen someone else in Smash.

While Corrin may be a unique character moveset wise, he just seems to be the most boring, blandest and uninteresting character i know. Seriously, hims personality is just bland, his name is Corrin (Seriously, they couldn't pick a better name than Corrin?!)

Plus Robin has already got the whole Costume character thing going for him.

And also, why did we need another FE rep? I like the series, but seriously, there are other series that were more deserving of the spot (Zelda, DK, Star Fox) that is just makes me scratch my head

Either way, he seems like a cool character but there are things about him that i just find super uninteresting....

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
Eh, I was (and still am) in different about Corrin

I mean, it's cool FE is getting some representation and he is definitely a unique character moveset wise

But

I really think when push comes to shove, I would have rather seen someone else in Smash.

While Corrin may be a unique character moveset wise, he just seems to be the most boring, blandest and uninteresting character i know. Seriously, hims personality is just bland, his name is Corrin (Seriously, they couldn't pick a better name than Corrin?!)

Plus Robin has already got the whole Costume character thing going for him.

And also, why did we need another FE rep? I like the series, but seriously, there are other series that were more deserving of the spot (Zelda, DK, Star Fox) that is just makes me scratch my head

Either way, he seems like a cool character but there are things about him that i just find super uninteresting....

Kinda feel the same way myself, Corrin's kit isn't bad by any means to me. But man Corrin has one of the lamest personalities I've ever seen in a FE rep lol.

On another note, that I'm reminded of whenever talks about how many FE reps we have in Smash. Can we just have a flatout FE Fighting game?
I would buy that so fast.

Airpoizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
(Private)
3DS FC
0946-2898-1267
Kinda feel the same way myself, Corrin's kit isn't bad by any means to me. But man Corrin has one of the lamest personalities I've ever seen in a FE rep lol.

On another note, that I'm reminded of whenever talks about how many FE reps we have in Smash. Can we just have a flatout FE Fighting game?
"I trust you."
"I'm here to help!"
"Good"
"That went well."

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Exactly. His just so.... deadpan

Fire Emblem Warriors

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
Exactly. His just so.... deadpan

Fire Emblem Warriors

I mean something more like akin to Pokken's style of fighting. It would be so hype with all the different abilities that exist within FE.
Roy using ranged blade attacks for days, but the real dream would be the run in Crit with Donnel. XD With Pot hat and the "Get em Donny" audio.

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
I'm excited for this new patch, I just want it to get here already. I had a bit of time to drop by the social, so I figured I'd toss down a topic I've been thinking about. It's a bit lengthy and I guess not relevant to much but I like letting out my thoughts like this and speculating with others :p it brings back those classic DLC support thread feelings.

Corrin's starting to grow on me lately. I have the character as a fun project atm and may use them to cover certain tournament matchups in the future when I drop a game or get a certain stage. I've had a lot of funny moments lately playing them, and overall I'm having a blast.

I think I finally truly understand how some Roy detractors who warmed up to him over time may have felt.

I ramble about the character here.
I vehemently hated their inclusion at first, for a handful of reasons.
It was really offputting to me that Robin and Lucina made up 50% of Fire Emblem's representation here at one point, and a strong part in me pushing for Roy was balancing out classic representation with modern representation and filling a hole in the middle of the series with Elibe. All Corrin did was bring that issue of mine back, with yet another modern 3DS character.
Enough people harassed me when I supported Roy about there already being more than enough Fire Emblem characters at 4, and with Corrin, I saw a fresh sea of 6 character complaints coming, and I knew some of my favorite characters would just be lumped into it yet again. I wanted that salt from the community to be far from relevant. It made me angrier at the character's inclusion.
All this time, also I kept thinking about how it could have been someone like Wolf instead, and how it's dumb that so little came from the ballot while some draconic deviantart twit with insignificant demand got in.

Over time, the representation Corrin brought bothered me less, as they're a fun character with a really cool design and concept, and I would much rather have Corrin over some super overrated lord that I wouldn't hear the end of like Hector or Ephraim. There's also a lot of popular picks overall I'm very sure I'd like Corrin over. I'm starting to really value the love and detail that went into Corrin's moveset, and I admire all of the cool nuances of their design. They truly were what a lot of us wanted out of a Fire Emblem design or newcomer.

The Fire Emblem complaints have pretty much died down, and it's really only an idiot or two now and then outside of my friends who brings it up randomly in a Smash discussion or group, usually it's already a toxic person or discussion to begin with. People will say x deserves a cut, or complain with a typical complaint, but it's just someone being salty here and there. People still want to make a big deal over it even though it won't do anything to Smash itself.
I've seen the series as deserving of a lot of characters for quite some time now. It was dominating handhelds, coming back to consoles, and seeing a TCG revival. Now it's coming to mobile gaming and considered a major IP. Who is someone to say that a series with hundreds of characters and great success lately only deserves x characters in a Nintendo crossover? It's always been a flawed argument outside of these kinds of justifications to begin with, and people really go overboard with it.

Envy hit, too. Corrin doesn't have endless misconceptions about their character, and Roy's too good to be even a Luigified character. I've always wanted him decloned entirely while retaining his mechanics and design, so I looked at Corrin's moveset with envy. But Roy still has pretty great treatment, I love his new design and sometimes take his return for granted, even after pushing hard for it. He's so fast, combo-heavy, and powerful now, and his design doesn't give him noodle arms and brown-ish hair. As someone who started to care about him because of Fire Emblem, I absolutely adore this new design and how it feels like it portrays his build, hair, and other characteristics much closer to source than before. He might get ragged on competitively at times, but I think people are way too pessimistic for no reason. He's got really good tools and matchups, people often don't want to put in that sort of work since he's deceptively hard, and it's easy for us to sometimes fall to toxicity when we get impatient with the grind or take it too seriously. I mean, I do it
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Over time, the negative emotions died down completely after being consistently strong for months, and I'm starting to like this character's design much more. Fates didn't really do anything good or bad for their case, so that's why I didn't talk about it. Ironically Corrin's now one of my favorite characters to play as, and a serious contender for a secondary. I'm beginning to feel really glad about the character's inclusion, and I'm really going to like the coming years of Smash with it.

Tagging anyone who might be interested. T Tahu Mata @SSB4 Roy Pharae
Hella late for this, but I'm happy to see Corrin is growing on you. I was probably one of the few who was stoked when he was annnounced.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
So guys, drew these little fellas because POKEMON SUN AND MOON HYYYPE~~~

Didn't draw them when they were announced because I had school and all.

Anyway, recently a Shulk got 13th at GOML, a Canadian national that had big names like Ally, Nairo, Mr. R and ZeRo. It could be possible that a Shulk may rank higher than a Roy due to more options, but if Shulk can place that high, then I believe Roy may be able to as well. Other characters in Roy's tier placement are just now starting to get results. Duck Hunts keep constantly reaching top 8 in Japan and recently, a Charizard made 17th at a stacked tournament. Just gotta keep trying I suppose.

Last edited:
Top Bottom