• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Man. I'm sorry if I'm being pessimistic. I just want what's best for the character, that's all. I would go on competitive boards and get kinda bummed when they say he isn't that good. I started this conversation to see where it would go.

I honestly have no clue where to put him, either. I don't think he's awful, but I don't think he's good either. Until we get more results, then I'm not going to think anything of him. I think he's too underdeveloped for me to tell you what he is exactly.
Nah, you weren't too pessimistic, lol. I've been learning a lot recently, and I know I still have a long way to go, but exploring different options to cover things (i.e. was practicing dair spike on stage as a regrab punish, as well as I just learned that sour falling uair > up+b is a solid kill confirm mixup), so I for one haven't lost hope yet lol. Thing is, I'm not sure how many people in the competitive forum use Roy enough to understand him. So, their opinions might be clouded by the fact that there's less general knowledge out there about him, and they assume no knowledge means no potential. We'll see, over time, how things shake out with him lol, but I for one think he's solid, and more importantly, a loot of fun to use. :D I'd really recommend spending more time talking and playing with other Roys, though. I think connecting with other people that enjoy the same character might help you find your enjoyment playing him lol. That's just my two cents, though, lol.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Hmm, Roy buffs aye?
Aerial Up-B power, counter end lag, throw damage; fair landing lag; back air auto cancelling in a short hop (it's 1 frame off :V, that's torture).

That sounds like a lot, so it wouldn't all happen, but he'd still be a worse character than Cloud, so why not?

Also, hmm, to expect your character to always be good in a fighting game, at least smash bros, is steep.
Understanding your character and reaching it's maximum potential should be the goal and one's mindset. If you don't have that type of affinity with a character then you're likely better off with another (this applies even if you're playing a top tier).

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Hmm, Roy buffs aye?
Aerial Up-B power, counter end lag, throw damage; fair landing lag; back air auto cancelling in a short hop (it's 1 frame off :V, that's torture).

That sounds like a lot, so it wouldn't all happen, but he'd still be a worse character than Cloud, so why not?

Also, hmm, to expect your character to always be good in a fighting game, at least smash bros, is steep.
Understanding your character and reaching it's maximum potential should be the goal and one's mindset. If you don't have that type of affinity with a character then you're likely better off with another (this applies even if you're playing a top tier).
I think most of this just stems from my overall inexperience to the competitive Smash scene. I have trouble picking mains, not because I can't find one that fits my playstyle, but because I can't find one I should stick with? I don't know whether I should use a character who is high/top tier, or use a character I like using. The reason why I made Roy's tier placement a big deal, was because I'm not sure if he's holding me back, or if I'm not good with him yet. I'm just confused; I guess I'll try and get better on him on the side. Cloud being good is only the partial reason why I'm using him. I legitimately like playing as Cloud, and I couldn't care less about whether he is played by a bunch of people or not. I actually do not like to use any of the top/high tiers aside from Villager and Cloud, because none of them really click nor appeal to me.

Serew

Smash Apprentice
I think the main reason people are so negative about Roy now is because he was very overhyped at the start being a "potential top tier" now people place him low tier which is too low lol. i'd currently place him in high-mid tier, with a chance of him getting to low-high tier once mastered! Roy is far from being mastered though, which is why we have no results too :p I have recently been finding new ways to combo, new kill setups/confirms, etc, and when i see alot of Roys play i just don't see alot of things being used (That pretty much is a good thing cause that means there's still a lot of room for improvement, meaning there's still hope!)
Just try to keep things as positive as possible. Taking things too negatively will only lead to people not even wanting to try Roy and he's ofcourse not a top tier, but he's not bad.
Since i'll be getting a capture card soon i'll be starting to make Roy based videos, possibly guides. We have a community combo video planned which will bring some exposure, and i'll also be working on updating the Roy community guide since it's pretty outdated, I'm also gonna be posting kill setups there, stage specific setups and mixup combo's to give an idea of what you can do, i've got some pretty cool stuff planned :) I'm not sure when i will have enough time to do all of this because of locals and all and being a bit busy, but i've also been getting a bit of results lately so that's nice.
As for buffs, a better landing option or less lagg on DED would be nice, i'd like armor on aerial blazer too.
Anyways, Stay hot ph1r3 boys!

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Roy isn't Upper Mid Tier. That title is reserved for some really good characters like: Peach, Ike, ROB, Luigi, Pit, Greninja, Pacman, Toon Link, Cpt. Falcon, and Wario. Cloud and Villager could be here but are probably higher. DK, Robin, Olimar, and WFT could be here but are probably lower.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I think most of this just stems from my overall inexperience to the competitive Smash scene. I have trouble picking mains, not because I can't find one that fits my playstyle, but because I can't find one I should stick with? I don't know whether I should use a character who is high/top tier, or use a character I like using. The reason why I made Roy's tier placement a big deal, was because I'm not sure if he's holding me back, or if I'm not good with him yet. I'm just confused; I guess I'll try and get better on him on the side. Cloud being good is only the partial reason why I'm using him. I legitimately like playing as Cloud, and I couldn't care less about whether he is played by a bunch of people or not. I actually do not like to use any of the top/high tiers aside from Villager and Cloud, because none of them really click nor appeal to me.
I think, even at a competitive level, you at least need to have passion and like something about the character. "Why" you like a character will vary from person to person. I just don't like it when people force themselves to main a character (maybe they're a loyalist and their main is low tier or they're playing a top tier for easy wins but they dread how the character plays) and the frustrations are taking a toll on their mental health. And then they end up hating playing their main. Can really make a person seem not like themselves, I've had it happen to a friend before. But if you're totally fine playing a low tier, high tier, whoever, then that's great to hear.

Do you want to be a top player, scoring big at nationals, and not care who you main? Do you just want to get good at Smash? Do you just want to be a top Samus player? A top Palutena player? A top Ryu player? And don't care about what tier your character is? It really depends what you want to get out of Smash, as tier placement might play a role depending on your answer. I recommend reading this when you have time: http://smashboards.com/threads/how-you-should-choose-your-competitive-main-in-smash-4.369829/

I think once you put in a lot of time in a character, you'll figure out if such character is holding you back or not. Never felt that way with Roy, although Smash 4 is the first game I'm taking seriously, so maybe I'm not the best one to talk about this subject. Pessimistic is okay, but a lot of people haven't probably seen a good Roy, and there's still a lot to learn (I mean, tech-wise recently crouch sliding was discovered and such). In terms of the Competitive discuss thread, a lot of the times I don't like the atmosphere there, so I rarely post. I'm focusing my efforts and time in learning Roy, gonna talk about that later... But like, I don't care much about tier lists if my mains are anything to go by lol. Roy's the main I picked, and I like how he plays and I have a lot of passion for him, so that's enough for me. I want to strive to be the best Roy I can be, that's all.

Anyway, don't feel bummed out and many people have had trouble picking mains before. I recently went to my first tourney... lost both matches, but I had a lot of fun. Met some awesome players and they really encouraged me to stick with Roy. Y'know, it might sound funny, but people seem to love chanting "Roy's our boy!" Heh, one of the perks to maining the young lion. :chuckle: Unless you get embarrassed or annoyed by it, but I was just laughing my head off whenever someone said that lol.

I'd really recommend spending more time talking and playing with other Roys, though. I think connecting with other people that enjoy the same character might help you find your enjoyment playing him lol. That's just my two cents, though, lol.
Yeah, I'd recommend this as well. Doesn't have to be irl, but even online. And we're always here to talk.

Gonna hopefully enter Capital City Smash this Saturday, which is a monthly my city hosts. I know I may not do all that great, but I need all the practice and experience I could get. And the more tourneys I go to, the less nervous I'll be.

Last edited:

Serew

Smash Apprentice
Anyway, don't feel bummed out and many people have had trouble picking mains before. I recently went to my first tourney... lost both matches, but I had a lot of fun. Met some awesome players and they really encouraged me to stick with Roy. Y'know, it might sound funny, but people seem to love chanting "Roy's our boy!" Heh, one of the perks to maining the young lion. :chuckle: Unless you get embarrassed or annoyed by it, but I was just laughing my head off whenever someone said that lol.
Haha yeah, i love it when the chanting happens :p got first in doubles last tournament i was at and 2nd in singles (it was a medium tournament) and it feels great especially when you hear people talk **** about Roy and you do that with Roy solo :p (Yoshi in doubles as partner incase you wonder) Speaking of doubles. Roy is very good in doubles IMO he has great way to extend combo's of teammates and deal early %. also his kill options with setups are great. alot of roys weaknesses can be helped with a good teammate too! Example: I got juggled by a Ryu with uptilts which would finish me off with shoryuken and alot easier cause of our fastfall. every time i'd start getting juggled he would jump in and get me out of there. it was great. we're also testing some setups and training to use yoshi's slow throws in combination with my fsmash. if we hit fsmash in the middle of his throw he doesn't get hit but the enemy does so that's great if you know the timing!

And yeah, as said, i recommend talking to other Roys frequently. They're not all positive but we have enough :p Just try not to let the negativity get to you!

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Gonna hopefully enter Capital City Smash this Saturday, which is a monthly my city hosts. I know I may not do all that great, but I need all the practice and experience I could get. And the more tourneys I go to, the less nervous I'll be.
Drowned in pools today, but I feel like I'm improving... little by little. It's great to get a bunch of experience vs specific characters as well.

LonkQ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ammoro
I'm actually kind of glad with his current tier placement. Well, maybe glad isn't right, but I feel like some people are too down on him. If I had to ask for buffs, I'd like jab to have slightly more vertical trajectory so Jab-Blazer would be better. Maybe make Blazer a bit stronger too because it seems to kill late with good DI. No matter what happens though, I'm always gonna be on this train.

Troykv

Smash Master
http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_SSB4_tier_lists_(NTSC)

Funny... Ryu was the DLC character that I believed that would have the biggest potential to long-term... And was true hahaha... The "Leader" of the High Tier.

Apparenty Roy is now in the same Tier that Mewtwo (Upper Low Tier)... Lucas is there too.

But this Tier will be useless tomorrow with the Bayo/Corrin's Patch.

What ever happens tomorrow I'm only sure that Sheik still will be the Top Tier (unless he/she gets a massive nerf) and Zelda still will be the bottom character (unless she gets a massive buff)... Her moveset style just make it harder to Sheik be bad without harm the character purporsely... And viceversa with Zelda.

I'm hoping for some little buffs to Roy, Marth (and Lucina)

I'm not expecting see again Roy high like in "provisional" Tier List... But I would be happy if he is Mid Tier... I'm already glad to see Ike in the Mid Tier.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I just came here to share another Roy Drawing:
Pacha 001.jpg

The text is supposed to say "K.O-ing someone with a fully charged Flare Blade".

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
Roy buffs as far as I know
Flare Blade Uncharged Damage: 5 -> 6Nair Landing Lag: 13F -> 11FFair Landing Lag: 15F -> 13FUair Landing Lag: 16F -> 14FBair Landing Lag: 19F -> 16FDair Landing Lag: 28F -> 23F. So overall he got the Ike treatment in terms of landing lag being reduced for all his aerials and Fair kills earlier, nair combos better yes!

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Totes.

Totally.

ROY'S OUR BOY!!!

Flare Blade Uncharged Damage: 5 -> 6Nair Landing Lag: 13F -> 11FFair Landing Lag: 15F -> 13FUair Landing Lag: 16F -> 14FBair Landing Lag: 19F -> 16FDair Landing Lag: 28F -> 23F. So overall he got the Ike treatment in terms of landing lag being reduced for all his aerials and Fair kills earlier, nair combos better yes!
Wait, Fair kills early?! Where does it say that?!

Also, really liking Dair landing Lag reduce. I know these buffs probably won't make him Top tier and don't fix some of his other weakness, but I reckon these will still help him.

:135:

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
ROY'S OUR BOY!!!

Wait, Fair kills early?! Where does it say that?!

Also, really liking Dair landing Lag reduce. I know these buffs probably won't make him Top tier and don't fix some of his other weakness, but I reckon these will still help him.

Besides the frame data/landing lag reduced... the Fair killing earlier and nair comboing better are things I tested out and seem to work but I could be wrong overall Roy feels a lot faster for me in terms of approaching/Comboing an opponent...

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Besides the frame data/landing lag reduced... the Fair killing earlier and nair comboing better are things I tested out and seem to work but I could be wrong overall Roy feels a lot faster for me in terms of approaching/Comboing an opponent...
I guess well have to wait until they can get the raw data.

Still awesome he got buffs

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Hey, it's great that Roy received some buffs! Also

http://smashboards.com/threads/roy-1-1-1-patch-changes-updated-01-10-04-22-ist.412043/ I'm pretty sure this thread's supposed to be a general patch discussion thread. So if you have any confirmation of any changes, feel free to post them in that thread as well. Not saying you can't talk about Roy's changes in this thread. The patch thread just exists for better organization and such. Anyway, I had like no time to update the thread today, so I'll probably do it tomorrow unless another mod updates it before me. Spent all day finishing work so I'll have tomorrow free as I'm going to a smashfest. Gonna get some nice Roy practice in, and I'll probably try out all the dlc stuff then as I didn't get the chance to download anything today... :tired:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Those landing lag changes are crazy.
Nair and Fair were already quite safe on shield but now this is getting borderline op. If you look at Lordwilliam1234's frame data for 1.1.3 and do the math you get a -7 (sourspot) to -5 (sweetspot) on shield advantage for Nair and Fair. If there isn't any change to his shieldstun then this is an insane buff to Roy's offensive game.

Thirtyfour

Smash Journeyman
Haven't posted here before but shiiiiiet these BUFFS!

We have full blown tinder combos with fair now Much easier than the nair strings since you don't have to worry about a reverse hitbox like with nair.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Although Roy have may have been overall buffed, there is one nerf that will forever affect him:

The loss of replays.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
I'm working on a patch notes video now and playing on 1.1.3. Roy's uncharged Neutral Special does 6 damage here too, so placebo or incorrect info on KuroganeHammer.

Troykv

Smash Master
Earlier I was playing with Roy and I feel that the F-Air was faster... I wonder why but after looking in Smash Boards...

Wow! Roy nerfs in his Aerial's Landing Lag!

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Can someone tell me how much these Buffs have helped Roy?

I'm in Australia, so no need since we'll get all the rest of the world's leftovers on top of our own shipments
IKR? I can seriously walk into any store and seem to find most if not all Amiibo.

Let me just ask, has anyone else here preordered Roy's Amiibo?
I'm going to asap.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I don't think it was unrealistic to put Roy in low tier before those buffs. I mean the character is good but so are all the characters that were placed above him and in the same tier.

Now with those buffs under the hood I see him in mid tier easy.

Top Bottom