• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Not sure if you guys knew, but Link has a guaranteed tether ledge trump to meteor Dair. That's what he tried to do against Sethlon there if you look closely.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I feel so dumb because I completely forgot it's possible to stage spike with a ledge attack, and now I remember I've seen it done a few times in the past (though I believe it works with most characters?). Normally I would buffer anything but a ledge attack (idk why, random habit), but I guess if the timing/situation is right, you can get a stage spike instead, which is an awesome way to net a KO if I do say so myself.
Yuuuuup. I had it happen to me one day, and immediately decided that buffering get up attack is my favorite response to someone attempting a trump. Randomly getting kills from a bad position is pretty strong

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Felt like sharing this kinda cool tidbit here: we're doing a joint match-up discussion with the Marcinas this week, and in the course of the discussion, we found out that marth and lucina have different movement properties in very specific circumstances. I'd always thought they'd had exactly the same movement all the time, so it was definitely cool to see the difference lol. There'll also be a crew tournament with them at the end of the week, so that'll be an interesting experience.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Interesting. I wonder if Dr. Mario and Dark Pit have similar subtle movement differences vs their originals. unless they actually have and I'm totally not aware

Also, Daisuke Izuka (FE11/12 artist) drew an adorable Marth in celebration of the New Year!

Source

FE goin' all out. I'm loving all the promo drawings artists have made for the new FE TCG.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Interesting. I wonder if Dr. Mario and Dark Pit have similar subtle movement differences vs their originals. unless they actually have and I'm totally not aware
Well Dr. Mario has very blatant movement differences from regular Mario, considering he's significantly slower on both the ground and in the air. :p

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Hey Sethlon Sethlon , I'd love to see your take on the Link MU when you were up against Zane/Hyrule Hero. I could watch the sets between you and Hyrule Hero for hours, so entertaining. Would be awesome if you made an analysis video on it like the others. I don't mean to pester you, especially if you're already working on it lol.

I find the MU to be fun on both ends, though I'd think it would be slightly in Link's favor despite it being pretty even imo since Link can kill almost as easily as Roy can and has decent projectiles. They body each other hard offstage and at the ledge though and can punish each other brutally.

Last edited:

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Thats actually what I have slated for my next analysis stream, ironically enough. Also plan on throwing in vs Muse's TLink from the last Tloc 1K.

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate question to ask here, but I'm going to ask it anyway, since it's been bugging me some: Is Roy viable in this game?

Originally when he first came out, a lot of people thought he was. Many people argued that he was even better than Marth. Several months have passed, now the major consensus is that he is either slightly better than Marth, or slightly worse. Basically not really viable. I would see people place Roy at B tier and people would say that it is too high for him. It seems like the vast majority think that C is the best tier for him.

The main problem with that though, is that no one really uses him in tournaments. For one thing, he's a DLC character so it's possible that many people don't own him because they'd rather use a character that is already in the game; basically they'd rather stick with the character they were playing as since the game came out.

Honestly, I have no idea where to place him tier wise. I would say at least mid mid tier, but I don't want to overrate him. At the same time though, I don't want to place him in C either because I feel that's way too low. I think he should at least be B minus. Eh, what are your thoughts?

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate question to ask here, but I'm going to ask it anyway, since it's been bugging me some: Is Roy viable in this game?

Originally when he first came out, a lot of people thought he was. Many people argued that he was even better than Marth. Several months have passed, now the major consensus is that he is either slightly better than Marth, or slightly worse. Basically not really viable. I would see people place Roy at B tier and people would say that it is too high for him. It seems like the vast majority think that C is the best tier for him.

The main problem with that though, is that no one really uses him in tournaments. For one thing, he's a DLC character so it's possible that many people don't own him because they'd rather use a character that is already in the game; basically they'd rather stick with the character they were playing as since the game came out.

Honestly, I have no idea where to place him tier wise. I would say at least mid mid tier, but I don't want to overrate him. At the same time though, I don't want to place him in C either because I feel that's way too low. I think he should at least be B minus. Eh, what are your thoughts?
Roy can do well in tournament, my advice would be to have a good secondary character as a backup plan. I also wouldn't worry too much about tier placing until the game stop being updated.

Roy was way overhyped by most people when he was released mainly because of how much better he was overall in comparison to his Melee counterpart, ZeRo claiming him to be "The best swordsman in the game" only added to the hype. The problem began when he didn't live up to his hype which caused people to label him as "overrated" or "bad".

In regrads to the Marth v Roy thing I think people are just hesitant to claim Roy being better than Marth after what happened during the Melee days, some may think that Marth might become the better character overall in the future, Roy being seen as overrated also doesn't help his case.

Roy being a DLC character was both good and bad, Roy didn't need to be rushed this time around which allowed him to be given proper development time to fix all of his previous issues in Melee while also giving him more unique qualities from Marth. The bad part is that by being DLC he was subject to being overhyped and also being behind in the meta.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Roy isn't in the band of tippity top characterse which are never really in a bad spot match up wise.
Roy is in the pack of characters seen as 'everyone else' but not 'terrible'.
But that pack of characters is very very large and over presumptuous for anyone to assume or assert tier positions as accurate.

Roy's specs are noticeably better than Marth's in just about every department; mostly better frame data (slightly longer start ups in some cases though), higher damage, significantly better mobility specs, better hitboxes (Roy is impossible to have whiff at point blank like half of Marth's moves do) with a sword that's 10-20% more disjointed than Marth's depending on the move (except dtilt, they're the same).

However, Roy has less leeway in his vertical spacing. This makes some match ups seem unwinnable for Roy but are doable/winnable for Marth. Marth basically avoids being ****ed by DK cargo throw [maybe even bowser too?], and because Roy's well spaced moves are sours and don't knock Luma away Roy suffers in that match up too (Marth may win that match up due to how easily/safely he knocks luma away and the risk for Rosa trying to punish you for it).
Despite Roy's near universal better stats, Marth has some minor merits to him. Beyond the floatyness/combability, counter is better which is useful in some match ups (again, DK; countering his recovery off stage can kill at around 100%, Roy's will never + feasibly cause him to SD).
Overall Roy is strong though, don't get me wrong. What he has that is good is very good. So mastering Roy really has no perceivable ceiling and a lot of room for development.

Being a DLC character means that development time and balancing were extended and this is pretty obvious in comparing Marth and Roy where Marth's scripts were a copy and paste job of Brawl (with blanket nerfs/removals) while Roy is very fleshed out and had obvious quality assurance. They did finally get around to Mewtwo, and fixed up some hitboxes on Robin, so there is some hope for Marth/Lucina not remaining a lazily implemented/beta* version of Roy until Smash5. Roy may've been the best "Swordsman" in the game at his release, Ike has been around a lot longer and is a bit simpler to play with a lot of dedicated mains from release.
I used to think it was just Sakurai being careful about not making sword characters overwhelming again like they were in Brawl, but then Cloud happened and every facet that makes characters strong/viable were freely given to Cloud in spades.. Overall, there may not be much reason to use any swordsman in this game not Cloud or MK (MK being very different to the rest of the swordies though) because of how disparate the love in balance is between them. Despite this I'm still on the Path of Seals~ (I'm still able to convince myself Cloud was a mistake and will be fixed)

*Maybe better to say Marth is the alpha, Roy is the beta, and the full release of a real swordsman was Cloud

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Any other Roy mains going to Genesis? I think it'd be fun to meet up with you guys and brainstorm some Roy theory and just get some solid games in.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
Roy can do well in tournament, my advice would be to have a good secondary character as a backup plan. I also wouldn't worry too much about tier placing until the game stop being updated.

Roy was way overhyped by most people when he was released mainly because of how much better he was overall in comparison to his Melee counterpart, ZeRo claiming him to be "The best swordsman in the game" only added to the hype. The problem began when he didn't live up to his hype which caused people to label him as "overrated" or "bad".

In regrads to the Marth v Roy thing I think people are just hesitant to claim Roy being better than Marth after what happened during the Melee days, some may think that Marth might become the better character overall in the future, Roy being seen as overrated also doesn't help his case.

Roy being a DLC character was both good and bad, Roy didn't need to be rushed this time around which allowed him to be given proper development time to fix all of his previous issues in Melee while also giving him more unique qualities from Marth. The bad part is that by being DLC he was subject to being overhyped and also being behind in the meta.
Is there a specific secondary that you recommend? I saw that ONI Heero plays Sonic as well as Roy, so that might be an interesting secondary.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
I've been great man. Just picked up starcraft LOTV. Its pretty fun, so I am getting back into it. Also exams, so thats fun.
Yeah i've sorta been either working or playing left 4 dead on steam, but occasionally come back to smash.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Back after a busy work schedule how's my Fellow Roy players been?
I'm pretty late on this, but it's been alright. I've been busy with midterms and all, and whatever free time I get I'm practicing Smash. I'm also pretty close to working up enough courage to go to an actual tournament, so all is good.

How about you today?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I used to think it was just Sakurai being careful about not making sword characters overwhelming again like they were in Brawl, but then Cloud happened and every facet that makes characters strong/viable were freely given to Cloud in spades.. Overall, there may not be much reason to use any swordsman in this game not Cloud or MK (MK being very different to the rest of the swordies though) because of how disparate the love in balance is between them. Despite this I'm still on the Path of Seals~ (I'm still able to convince myself Cloud was a mistake and will be fixed)

*Maybe better to say Marth is the alpha, Roy is the beta, and the full release of a real swordsman was Cloud
If this was actually the case, I'd find it hilarious because Sakurai just went ahead and gave certain non-sword users great disjoints anyway. Like Rosalina... In fact, I'd say she's the best swordsman!

I kid, I kid.

Back after a busy work schedule how's my Fellow Roy players been?
I've been quite busy with school stuff, but next week I'll make sure to finish my work beforehand so I'll have enough time for the weeklies. I procrastinate... a lot lol.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Have been hanging around the Smash Reddit and the Character Competitive boards lately, and it seems like people's opinion of Roy has been getting worse and worse. A few notable Japanese players like Earth and Abadango(sp?) have been placing Roy as low as D tier on their lists. At first, people have found such placements questionable, but now, as Roy is being considered to be on par with Marcina, people are beginning to agree with such statement.

Heck, I've seen someone say that Roy is pretty much Ganondorf with a sword, and that even Ganondorf has a safer neutral than Roy. I can see why his weaknesses are quite glaring; he's combo food, he has a meh recovery, he has short range, and his sweet spot discourages spacing. I've played him for a while, and while I can say I'm no professional at this game, I can say that these problems definitely do exist. Not sure how much they hinder his performance, but they do hinder him to some degree.

I think people need to accept Roy's weaknesses and ask for a buff or something, like how people on the Marth and Lucina boards are doing. I don't see many Roy mains, at least in competitive boards admit that he has things holding him back; usually they would deny it and say that he's just being underused.

Don't get me wrong; I'll still use Roy. He's very fun to use, but I can't see myself using him very often in tournaments, until someone either does really well with him in big tournaments, or until he gets crazy buffs. Heck, maybe if I get really good with Roy, I'll try and get him some representation. It's a bit hard though, because not many people use him. It's hard for me to know exactly what to do with the character.

So, what are your thoughts? Do you think that his tier placement is valid? Do you think Roy needs buffs? If so, where does he need them? I know I may be a bit obsessed about this, but I'm ultimately trying to help here. I just want this character's meta to improve, really.

I was going to make this a thread, but I wasn't sure whether it would fly.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
Have been hanging around the Smash Reddit and the Character Competitive boards lately, and it seems like people's opinion of Roy has been getting worse and worse. A few notable Japanese players like Earth and Abadango(sp?) have been placing Roy as low as D tier on their lists. At first, people have found such placements questionable, but now, as Roy is being considered to be on par with Marcina, people are beginning to agree with such statement.

Heck, I've seen someone say that Roy is pretty much Ganondorf with a sword, and that even Ganondorf has a safer neutral than Roy. I can see why his weaknesses are quite glaring; he's combo food, he has a meh recovery, he has short range, and his sweet spot discourages spacing. I've played him for a while, and while I can say I'm no professional at this game, I can say that these problems definitely do exist. Not sure how much they hinder his performance, but they do hinder him to some degree.

I think people need to accept Roy's weaknesses and ask for a buff or something, like how people on the Marth and Lucina boards are doing. I don't see many Roy mains, at least in competitive boards admit that he has things holding him back; usually they would deny it and say that he's just being underused.

Don't get me wrong; I'll still use Roy. He's very fun to use, but I can't see myself using him very often in tournaments, until someone either does really well with him in big tournaments, or until he gets crazy buffs. Heck, maybe if I get really good with Roy, I'll try and get him some representation. It's a bit hard though, because not many people use him. It's hard for me to know exactly what to do with the character.

So, what are your thoughts? Do you think that his tier placement is valid? Do you think Roy needs buffs? If so, where does he need them? I know I may be a bit obsessed about this, but I'm ultimately trying to help here. I just want this character's meta to improve, really.

I really think that things will depend on his representation. Like you said, Roy has basically no competitive representation. I think if he gets some buffs thrown his way he may get played a bit more often. Honestly it will just take a very dedicated pro player to show Roy's full potential and give him an accurate tier list placement. But for the time being, I would place him pretty low. Maybe C tier?

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I really think that things will depend on his representation. Like you said, Roy has basically no competitive representation. I think if he gets some buffs thrown his way he may get played a bit more often. Honestly it will just take a very dedicated pro player to show Roy's full potential and give him an accurate tier list placement. But for the time being, I would place him pretty low. Maybe C tier?
Fair enough. I'm kinda worried about Roy though. The Corrin/Bayonetta patch may very well be the last patch, and Corrin/Bayonetta may be so good, that people will even see less of a reason to play Roy. I mean, why play as Roy when I can play as Corrin, Cloud or MK? Characters who have swords, but much better options? At that point, only character loyalist would stick with Roy, and I highly doubt there will be enough character loyalist around to help get him results.

As a matter of fact, the Roy boards are pretty dead as is. I go on the Cloud boards and there's far more activity on there. It may be because that hey, Cloud's in Smash, or that he's gotten good results already despite being a month old. I think we really need to spread awareness about Roy's weakness before it's too late. At least the Japanese are rating him low. Who knows, maybe Sakurai will see his low tier placement and improve on him some? That'd be nice.

Edit: Forgot to mention that even other commonly perceived low-tiers like Shulk and King Dedede have dedicated fans, fans begging for buffs the next patch. On Reddit, I would often see Shulk montage videos and such. Simple things like these may get people interested in a character. I hardly see any of that with Roy fans. The quicker we see the flaws of this character, the quicker we'll be able to fix him.

Last edited:

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
What kind of buffs would you guys like for Roy? Less aerial landing lag? Safer moves on shield? I think he needs a buff too but I'm not sure where I'd start.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
What kind of buffs would you guys like for Roy? Less aerial landing lag? Safer moves on shield? I think he needs a buff too but I'm not sure where I'd start.
Autocancels like Cloud would be nice. He should get more off of grabs too; he can get off of grabs, but a smart opponent will just DI out of them. His Melee down tilt would be awesome as well.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
I usually see other Roy players wish for less landing lag, aerial Blazer buff, throw buffs etc. Personally I would love to see Flare Blade get edgeguarding capabilities similar to Ike's Eruption to make Roy's edgeguarding game more dangerous, Run off > Fair is good vs some characters but others are just unaffected by it.

Melee Dtilt would be pretty good on Smash 4 Roy given his better mobility/aerials.

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
Fair enough. I'm kinda worried about Roy though. The Corrin/Bayonetta patch may very well be the last patch, and Corrin/Bayonetta may be so good, that people will even see less of a reason to play Roy. I mean, why play as Roy when I can play as Corrin, Cloud or MK? Characters who have swords, but much better options? At that point, only character loyalist would stick with Roy, and I highly doubt there will be enough character loyalist around to help get him results.
Yea, I am thinking that this will be exactly me. I really like the look of Corrin and if he is fun to play, and not garbage I think I will switch mains. That doesn't mean I will stop playing Roy, I just won't play Roy as much.

Also, complete sidenote. Do we have a Roy skype group or something, and if so can I get an invite please?

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Yea, I am thinking that this will be exactly me. I really like the look of Corrin and if he is fun to play, and not garbage I think I will switch mains. That doesn't mean I will stop playing Roy, I just won't play Roy as much.

Also, complete sidenote. Do we have a Roy skype group or something, and if so can I get an invite please?
There's a Roy discord group, which you can join by clicking the link I'll leave here. The group grew suddenly in the past 2 months, I suspect due to it being advertised on various social media as well as a post made in /r/RoyMains. Over 200 members now lol, and it's fairly active, and chill.

This group is part of a larger character discord community, so activities like JMUs (joint match-up discussions), and character tournaments with mains from other character groups happen now. This also means that we follow the universal chat rules, so things like toxic behavior and trolls are not tolerated here.

You'll need to register your discord account to join, but otherwise, you can use it through the browser version of discord, or download the app. Hope to see you there!

https://discord.gg/0am7ORpgdo2n0x7p

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz

Like Cr0n Cr0n said, there just aren't enough high level players using him and stretching him out to new heights. Ironically, part of the reason that I picked up Roy is because I felt I needed a high tier character, and everyone was going on about how good he was when he was released, now I hear people like esam saying tink is top 15 and Roy is even worse than I thought tink was. My, oh my, how things change...

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Like Cr0n Cr0n said, there just aren't enough high level players using him and stretching him out to new heights. Ironically, part of the reason that I picked up Roy is because I felt I needed a high tier character, and everyone was going on about how good he was when he was released, now I hear people like esam saying tink is top 15 and Roy is even worse than I thought tink was. My, oh my, how things change...
Yeah. The thing is people overhyped him. Roy seemingly looked like an improvement compared to his Melee counterpart. I mean, he actually seems to have functional hit boxes in this game now, as well as more speed, which is good. However, he fails from a design point, IMO. I have a feeling that Sakurai had no clue on what type of character he wanted Roy to be. Roy has a sword, but it's a short one and has a sweet spot in the center instead of at the end, or nowhere at all. That alone is a bad trait for a swordsman, I mean how are you going to space properly with that?

Then there's the fact that he is supposed to be a punish type character, but he can barely get any kill confirms, and that his grabs setups are easy to escape. The character is just far too risky to use. I'm only still using him because of Eliwood, lol. I'm probably going to stick with Cloud and pray that Roy gets mean buffs next patch. I might use him for laughs every now and then like I do with Shulk.

It's sad, because this could've been the first game in which Roy could have been, you know, good at something? The thing that sucks about Roy is that he's always seen as mediocre. I mean, other lower tiers like Shulk are loved, and that's because they are fairly decent characters in their own right. Roy though, it's almost as if he's supposed to be bad. It's almost like a running gag, and it's one that I'm not a huge fan of. :T

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
omg, when you think about it. you're right. He wasn't even that good in fe6 lol
Lol yup. It's a bit of a stretch, but I also have a feeling that Sakurai may have made him intentionally bad in Smash 4. I think he wanted to make a character that looked impressive, but as soon as you played other characters, you would realize how mediocre he was. It's like he intended for Roy to be some sort of beginner swordsman character? I used to think that Sakurai wanted to nerf swordfighters badly in this game, but then I see characters like Cloud, who gets all those awesome tools for free.

I'm not sure what you guys talk about on the Roy Skype and Discord, but I think you guys should begin discussing on how he can be improved as a character. Do like what all of the other low-tier character loyalists are doing; make cool montage videos showcasing the character. Ask for buffs. Don't deny criticism made for this character. I know it's unlikely that he'll get any more buffs, but I don't think it's impossible either; it doesn't hurt to try.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I'm not sure what you guys talk about on the Roy Skype and Discord, but I think you guys should begin discussing on how he can be improved as a character. Do like what all of the other low-tier character loyalists are doing; make cool montage videos showcasing the character. Ask for buffs. Don't deny criticism made for this character. I know it's unlikely that he'll get any more buffs, but I don't think it's impossible either; it doesn't hurt to try.
There's a montage in the works, though tbh work on that is on and off lol. We have done character tournaments for MU experience as well as JMUs to theorycraft/practice with other character mains, as well as time to practice against other Roys to exchange knowledge. It was out of just derping around and playing with another Roy, Serew, that we noticed the crazy amount of slide on Roy's crouch slide (Serew posted a thread about it a while back). We're going to go through and update our community Roy guide, make sure the combos list is up to date, as well as sit down and grind through all our JMUs for write-ups.

Tbh all the gloom and doom here...idk if montages or asking will get us buffs lol. And if they do, idk if they'll give us the kind of buffs we'd want. I have seen little evidence that there's a correlation between the community requesting buffs, and those buffs being given by Nintendo. Furthermore, sitting down and crying about how bad our character is won't help us get better with Roy, won't do anything but sap our enjoyment of this game, at least imo. Have you ever been in a community where everyone just talked down on your character until you just didn't want to hang out there anymore? I've been in those kinds of communities, and they are not fun at all lol.

I would say, take some time to hang out with other Roy mains, here, on Facebook (there's a pretty good Roy group there too), on Discord, on Sethlon's stream, and in other places Roy mains hang out, and just...take a moment to get in touch with your character again lol. Or, maybe it is time to explore other characters. There's no shame in that. Like, you should totally find the character that plays the way you want to play. I play Lucina and Pit on the side because they are fun characters for me as well lol.

Roy isn't sheik, or Cloud, and he isn't top tier. He's in that category of undiscovered middle-of-the-road type characters that no one really knows what their true potential is. He has some issues, and some strengths, and...well. Shaya made an excellent post above answering this, and I'm going to quote it again (even though it's still on the same page) because it's really well written.

Roy isn't in the band of tippity top characterse which are never really in a bad spot match up wise.
Roy is in the pack of characters seen as 'everyone else' but not 'terrible'.
But that pack of characters is very very large and over presumptuous for anyone to assume or assert tier positions as accurate.

Roy's specs are noticeably better than Marth's in just about every department; mostly better frame data (slightly longer start ups in some cases though), higher damage, significantly better mobility specs, better hitboxes (Roy is impossible to have whiff at point blank like half of Marth's moves do) with a sword that's 10-20% more disjointed than Marth's depending on the move (except dtilt, they're the same).

However, Roy has less leeway in his vertical spacing. This makes some match ups seem unwinnable for Roy but are doable/winnable for Marth. Marth basically avoids being ****ed by DK cargo throw [maybe even bowser too?], and because Roy's well spaced moves are sours and don't knock Luma away Roy suffers in that match up too (Marth may win that match up due to how easily/safely he knocks luma away and the risk for Rosa trying to punish you for it).
Despite Roy's near universal better stats, Marth has some minor merits to him. Beyond the floatyness/combability, counter is better which is useful in some match ups (again, DK; countering his recovery off stage can kill at around 100%, Roy's will never + feasibly cause him to SD).
Overall Roy is strong though, don't get me wrong. What he has that is good is very good. So mastering Roy really has no perceivable ceiling and a lot of room for development.

Being a DLC character means that development time and balancing were extended and this is pretty obvious in comparing Marth and Roy where Marth's scripts were a copy and paste job of Brawl (with blanket nerfs/removals) while Roy is very fleshed out and had obvious quality assurance. They did finally get around to Mewtwo, and fixed up some hitboxes on Robin, so there is some hope for Marth/Lucina not remaining a lazily implemented/beta* version of Roy until Smash5. Roy may've been the best "Swordsman" in the game at his release, Ike has been around a lot longer and is a bit simpler to play with a lot of dedicated mains from release.

Hope that helps, at least lol.

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
There's a montage in the works, though tbh work on that is on and off lol. We have done character tournaments for MU experience as well as JMUs to theorycraft/practice with other character mains, as well as time to practice against other Roys to exchange knowledge. It was out of just derping around and playing with another Roy, Serew, that we noticed the crazy amount of slide on Roy's crouch slide (Serew posted a thread about it a while back). We're going to go through and update our community Roy guide, make sure the combos list is up to date, as well as sit down and grind through all our JMUs for write-ups.

Tbh all the gloom and doom here...idk if montages or asking will get us buffs lol. And if they do, idk if they'll give us the kind of buffs we'd want. I have seen little evidence that there's a correlation between the community requesting buffs, and those buffs being given by Nintendo. Furthermore, sitting down and crying about how bad our character is won't help us get better with Roy, won't do anything but sap our enjoyment of this game, at least imo. Have you ever been in a community where everyone just talked down on your character until you just didn't want to hang out there anymore? I've been in those kinds of communities, and they are not fun at all lol.

I would say, take some time to hang out with other Roy mains, here, on Facebook (there's a pretty good Roy group there too), on Discord, on Sethlon's stream, and in other places Roy mains hang out, and just...take a moment to get in touch with your character again lol. Or, maybe it is time to explore other characters. There's no shame in that. Like, you should totally find the character that plays the way you want to play. I play Lucina and Pit on the side because they are fun characters for me as well lol.

Roy isn't sheik, or Cloud, and he isn't top tier. He's in that category of undiscovered middle-of-the-road type characters that no one really knows what their true potential is. He has some issues, and some strengths, and...well. Shaya made an excellent post above answering this, and I'm going to quote it again (even though it's still on the same page) because it's really well written.

Hope that helps, at least lol.
Man. I'm sorry if I'm being pessimistic. I just want what's best for the character, that's all. I would go on competitive boards and get kinda bummed when they say he isn't that good. I started this conversation to see where it would go.

I honestly have no clue where to put him, either. I don't think he's awful, but I don't think he's good either. Until we get more results, then I'm not going to think anything of him. I think he's too underdeveloped for me to tell you what he is exactly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom