• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Warning Received
Hey if you don't believe me then that's fine with me. And btw, why would I ever get butthurt over a video game? Do you seriously think I'm that pathetic?
You are paethic enough to go on a board to troll. Of course we are going to think that.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Hi @Meta1

Bye @Meta1

Hi everyone else, I love playing Roy in Smash 4. I've never played a Fire Emblem game in my life, I'm just here for the gameplay and the memes.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Hi @Meta1

Bye @Meta1

Hi everyone else, I love playing Roy in Smash 4. I've never played a Fire Emblem game in my life, I'm just here for the gameplay and the memes.
I've never seen that function... done the same now, thanks.
And good for ya. I probably will replay sacred stones (that was with lynn and eliwood, wasn't it?) and try myself on the roy one.

Currently reading the roy manga. Not bad at all, a bit clishee, but it's old as well.

Last edited:
I've never seen that function... done the same now, thanks.
And good for ya. I probably will replay sacred stones (that was with lynn and eliwood, wasn't it?) and try myself on the roy one.

Currently reading the roy manga. Not bad at all, a bit clishee, but it's old as well.
Lyndis/Eliwood one was Blazing Sword, it's just named Fire Emblem overseas even though it's the seventh one. It's good to beat it at least once before trying Roy's game, which many consider a hard game. It's part of why Roy gets a lot of flak, even if I'm perfectly fine with him there.

The Sacred Stones features Eirika and Ephraim. Overall an easy game in comparison to the others in the series.

Both games are on the Wii U eshop for roughly 10 USD each :awesome:

You'll need to emulate for Roy's game in English, but it's well worth it. Definitely one of my top favorite Fire Emblems, blows the two listed above out of the water.

I love the manga. My only problem is spoilery, but I will say this: enjoy the ending and what leads up to it for what it is, even if it feels a bit off.

Hi @Meta1

Bye @Meta1

Welcome my Roy brethren. I like the sig.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Lyndis/Eliwood one was Blazing Sword, it's just named Fire Emblem overseas even though it's the seventh one. It's good to beat it at least once before trying Roy's game, which many consider a hard game. It's part of why Roy gets a lot of flak, even if I'm perfectly fine with him there.

The Sacred Stones features Eirika and Ephraim. Overall an easy game in comparison to the others in the series.

Both games are on the Wii U eshop for roughly 10 USD each :awesome:

You'll need to emulate for Roy's game in English, but it's well worth it. Definitely one of my top favorite Fire Emblems, blows the two listed above out of the water.

I love the manga. My only problem is spoilery, but I will say this: enjoy the ending and what leads up to it for what it is, even if it feels a bit off.

Welcome my Roy brethren. I like the sig.
I got them on GBA. So... yeah. :3
Well, the roy one not, but lynn/eliwood. Good to know tho... almost bought myself sacred stones.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Never played a FE game besides awakening, but I'm considering replaying Awakening with Roy as a DLC character. Can anyone who played FE:A with Roy say how good he is in that game?

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Never played a FE game besides awakening, but I'm considering replaying Awakening with Roy as a DLC character. Can anyone who played FE:A with Roy say how good he is in that game?
He's the same as your average MU (Avatar) so he's good, albeit there is nothing special about him at the same time.

All the DLC are quite lazily done in that game tbh, they even just have models the equivalent of some of the character options you can choose when you start the game, and the only exception is Marth.

Troykv

Smash Master
Any DLC Character is practically a Avatar (without supports) with some exclusive Skills:

Marth: Aptitude (Villager Skill), and Charm (Lord Skill)
Roy: Dual Strike+ (Lord Skill)
Micaiah: Shadowgift (Aversa, Aversa!Morgan and DLC!Katarina Only)
Eltshan: Charm (Lord Skill)
Leaf: Underdog (Villager Skill)
Alm: Rally Resistance (Valkyrie Skill)
Celice: Galeforce (Dark Pegasus Skill) and Charm (Lord Skill)
Elincia: Charm (Lord Skill)
Eirika: Luck +4 (Dancer Skill)
Lyn: Zeal (Fighter Skill)
Ephraim: Conquest (Walhart, Walhart!Morgan and Zephiel Only)
Celica: Rightful King (Great Lord Skill)
Ike: Aether (Great Lord Skill)

Also... the Pegasus and Katarina...

Est: Aptitude, Underdog (Villager Skill) and Luck +4 (Dancer Skill)
Catria: Dual Strike+ (Lord Skill)
Palla: Counter and Rally Strength (Warrior Skills)
Katarina: Rally Strength (Warrior Skill) and Shadowgift (Aversa, Aversa!Morgan and DLC!Micaiah Only)

Last edited:
Good: All avatar classes, meaning you can grab practically any skills in the game you want and adjust growths to whatever you need, which is extremely powerful on its own.

Bad: No support/marriage benefits, can't pass anything down to second gen units, can't reach the caps of second gen units, Pair Up will always be weak in comparison to S, A, B, or even C support units who pair.

I might be forgetting something but ye.

--

Regular Run:
Chrom + his spouse, 4-5 other units plus their spouses (one being your avatar), Outrealm/DLC Roy, and Spotpass/Bonus Box Roy could make a solid party of 12-14.

--

Mindless Solo:
You can even solo the game with Roy and pair Chrom on him. Get Roy to Lv20, class him back to Lv1 Mercenary from Lv20 Mercenary for Armsthrift and Patience, promote to Hero at Lv10 for Sol at Lv5 and Axebreaker at Lv15. If he hits Lv20 from the run and still has stats to gain as a Hero, just class him back to Lv1 Hero.

Skills:

Lv11 Merc -> Lv20 Merc:
Dual Strike+, Aegis

Lv20 Merc -> Lv1 Merc -> Lv10 Merc:
Dual Strike+, Aegis, Armsthrift(lv1), Patience(lv10)

Hero:
I suggest Armsthrift, Sol, Patience, Aegis, and Axebreaker. Armsthrift saves weapon uses and essentially makes weapon uses infinite at 50 or more luck, the other skills keep you alive.

This makes the game stupid easy on Normal or Hard. You don't even need his class variety for this, just his beastly starting skills and beastly Merc/Hero skills.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Good: All avatar classes, meaning you can grab practically any skills in the game you want and adjust growths to whatever you need, which is extremely powerful on its own.

Bad: No support/marriage benefits, can't pass anything down to second gen units, can't reach the caps of second gen units, Pair Up will always be weak in comparison to S, A, B, or even C support units who pair.

I might be forgetting something but ye.

--

Regular Run:
Chrom + his spouse, 4-5 other units plus their spouses (one being your avatar), Outrealm/DLC Roy, and Spotpass/Bonus Box Roy could make a solid party of 12-14.

--

Mindless Solo:
You can even solo the game with Roy and pair Chrom on him. Get Roy to Lv20, class him back to Lv1 Mercenary from Lv20 Mercenary for Armsthrift and Patience, promote to Hero at Lv10 for Sol at Lv5 and Axebreaker at Lv15. If he hits Lv20 from the run and still has stats to gain as a Hero, just class him back to Lv1 Hero.

Skills:

Lv11 Merc -> Lv20 Merc:
Dual Strike+, Aegis

Lv20 Merc -> Lv1 Merc -> Lv10 Merc:
Dual Strike+, Aegis, Armsthrift(lv1), Patience(lv10)

Hero:
I suggest Armsthrift, Sol, Patience, Aegis, and Axebreaker. Armsthrift saves weapon uses and essentially makes weapon uses infinite at 50 or more luck, the other skills keep you alive.

This makes the game stupid easy on Normal or Hard. You don't even need his class variety for this, just his beastly starting skills and beastly Merc/Hero skills.
Just screenshotted this. If I do get around to picking up FE:A again, I'll keep your advice in mind. Thanks!

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yes, come to the PH1R3 side...

We have curry

^ totally not sketchy at all

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Does anyone else think it's a really nice touch that they had Xander say "Roy" differently for our Boi compared to the Koopaling, or is it really not that big a deal? IDK, I thought it was neat, especially considering this is the first time in Smash that we have two folks with the same name.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else think it's a really nice touch that they had Xander say "Roy" differently for our Boi compared to the Koopaling, or is it really not that big a deal? IDK, I thought it was neat, especially considering this is the first time in Smash that we have two folks with the same name.
I enjoy thinking that Xander did do a special recording for Roy (our boy) but I recall in the podcast a few weeks back on the front page he stated that every character got a "low, medium, and high" voice recording. Nintendo probably used a different recording for Roy (the "high" one most likely) instead of bringing Xander back in for one name.

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
I like how he says Roy's name all happy and cheerful while he says Roy(koopa) all monotone.
He knows that :4feroy: > :4roy:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I enjoy thinking that Xander did do a special recording for Roy (our boy) but I recall in the podcast a few weeks back on the front page he stated that every character got a "low, medium, and high" voice recording. Nintendo probably used a different recording for Roy (the "high" one most likely) instead of bringing Xander back in for one name.
They were already bringing him back in to record Lucas and Ryu's names, why not our boy?

Last edited:
I'm testing out the Roy solo run in Awakening as I post this, @ MrGame&Rock MrGame&Rock .

I had Chrom at Lv17 with B in swords before getting Roy. Gonna use Chrom to chip away at anything possible in Pair Up since I need to bring him to chapters and I'll promote him later once Roy is a Hero.

Threw some renown stat boosters on Roy, but not really enough to be noteworthy.

Angry because my Roy solo was a success but I can't get a Grima ORKO on camera.

It always happens when I practice off-camera and then I'll fail 3-4 times in a row on-camera.

I will get through this once this baby charges.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Does anyone else ever use dance trotting (/foxtrot cancelling)? It's extremely useful and I've been using it to huge success. A really good movement option that can strike fear into opponent's hearts and make them commit to something stupid at times.

Worst case scenario you're just running like an idiot, but unpunished.

Here you go, @ MrGame&Rock MrGame&Rock :

--

Also, figured you'd like this, @ Croph Croph :

The only Marth alt that would have been a better fanservice alt than Lucina.

Would be top priority for me if I didn't already want Marth/Ike's Brawl outfits and Roy's Melee outfit as DLC alts to give longtime mains of them something neat along with references to their earlier Fire Emblem & Smash appearances.

--

Does anyone else ever use dance trotting (/foxtrot cancelling)? It's extremely useful and I've been using it to huge success. A really good movement option that can strike fear into opponent's hearts and make them commit to something stupid at times.

Mhm, it's super good in this vid too, lots of good examples of it:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Also, figured you'd like this, @ Croph Croph :

The only Marth alt that would have been a better fanservice alt than Lucina.

Would be top priority for me if I didn't already want Marth/Ike's Brawl outfits and Roy's Melee outfit as DLC alts to give longtime mains of them something neat along with references to their earlier Fire Emblem & Smash appearances.
AWW YEEEAH Pantless Marth! :awesome:

I would totally love this alt... There's so many awesome ideas, I really hope we'll get DLC costumes for characters other than Miis.

I've been practising dance trotting for the past few days (or at least trying to), but I still can't pull it off OTL

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I've been practising dance trotting for the past few days (or at least trying to), but I still can't pull it off OTL
Yeah, definitely took me a while to pin it down too. I could only dance trot in one direction and not the other, but I've finally been able to do that lately.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth, Roy and Lucina must master dance trot to be functional at high level imo.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Yeah, but to ignore such a wonderful movement option that most of the cast can't take advantage of the way he can would be a shame.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
What's the worst Fire emblem game of your choice?

Gaiden was my least favorite.
I know im late to this(dang notifications not telling me stuff.) but IMO it would have to be Fire Emblem Awakening because as my first and really only FE game it just doesnt feel fun. It reminds me of what i would do in Pokemon. Breed and EV train legit back in HeartGold without Pokerus.(yes it is possibleit takes around and hour and a half) I really REALLY dislike the 3d models of Awakening and wish it was more like FE 6 and 7 style. The only real thing i liked about Awakening is Casual mode and Marth and Roy dlc. Also the story blowed really hard. Like Snowhead mountain hard.

That pivot dtilt Neo uses is extremely sexy and makes him difficult to approach. I need to really step up my game on movement. I've been focusing a lot more on just playing people than hitting the lab lately.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I think the problem for me is that I can dance trot, but I'm too slow so the dashing doesn't look as fast. It doesn't really look like what Neo was doing... definitely doesn't look like this:

Seriously, how do they dash back and forth this fast? These players must have super lightning reflexes because at the rate things are going for me (practising dance trotting at least 10 min a day or more) I'm going to end up with carpal tunnel by the end of the week... only to not even master it! jk I'm just a huge health nut

@ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 Jeez, I see you were on another Liking spree? :laugh:

Last edited:
I think the problem for me is that I can dance trot, but I'm too slow so the dashing doesn't look as fast. It doesn't really look like what Neo was doing... definitely doesn't look like this:

Seriously, how do they dash back and forth this fast? These players must have super lightning reflexes because at the rate things are going for me (practising dance trotting at least 10 min a day or more) I'm going to end up with carpal tunnel by the end of the week... only to not even master it! jk I'm just a huge health nut

@ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 Jeez, I see you were on another Liking spree? :laugh:

Shhhhh, I like looking at these now that Roy's in.

Just stop. Roy is no Sonic; if he wasn't chosen from day one then he's not getting in now. There isn't nearly enough demand for that to happen, and your Facebook group isn't going to change anything. The amount of pages in this thread should be indicative of that already. Sorry if I'm coming off harsh, but you keep saying "if we do something things can change" and it's getting kind of annoying.
Smh @IceColdSoda your group was actually a huge part in making it work. Lol at a Sonic thumbnail in the video preview above this.

Also the thread boomed pretty well after release despite that being our toughest time with the roster (people saying Roy koopa, Ike, and Lucina all replaced Roy) and both it and the Facebook group sent out a lot of feedback and requests. I think my site may have played a part in it outside those, along with tying the two together.

Krom is destroying Roy's chances....now Krom gotta be the most likeable Lord of all time in Fire Emblem....Roy have alot of haters (I hate him in his game he was weak)..... Ike chance are way higher than Roy's...it seems Intelligent Sys have high regards for Ike to...
Yep Chrom and Ike totally destroyed Roy's chances :^)

Roy is gone and will never return. He was put in Melee as promotion for an upcoming Fire Emblem game and was cut in Brawl due to time constraints. Now Fire Emblem has 4 characters. It most certainly wont get as many characters as Mario, Zelda or Pokemon. Those are the big 3. Hell it almost only had 3 reps with Lucina being an alt originally. Roy is dead and gone forever.
:^(

Nah Roy isn't coming back, there's nothing supporting Roy in fact his game is old and he was already removed one...and if the redesign was your redeeming point, remember that "he isn't the only character with a redesign" and if you saw his game model you will know they barely worked in him....
Eh his model was fine to me. Five palettes, too, when four was common. I guess only his FE6 lord trophy could apply to this, but it's still impressive and I wish they took a page from that book for the lords of Smash now.
Binding Blade and Awakening Roy, Pantless and Brawl Marth, Brawl Ike and Lord Ike, Great Lord Lucina, Grandmaster Robin, and Great Lord Chrom would have made pretty cool trophies. To give second extras to the Awakening characters, I could see Grima+Robin, Paladin Chrom, and Sniper Lucina being good choices.

As I've said before(and you haven't responded to), SSB4 is trying to be more unique rather than just have more content. When there's already Marth, Ike, and Chrom, I don't think there's room for another character from Fire Emblem. From what I can tell they're not going all out with new characters anymore, so they'd want to pick their challengers carefully. I think they'll be thinking about what each new character can bring to the table not only in terms of series representation, but in moveset. I think Ike pretty much stole Roy's archetype. Then again, what even was Roy's archetype? He was just a slower, stronger(?) version of Marth. Smash Bros now has a slow, strong sword user with a chargeable fire-based neutral B.
I'd say it worked out pretty well. I'm glad I was stubborn on the belief Ike never replaced Roy (and Lucina was nowhere near a Royplacement after playing her) after all. For FE newcomers or ideas on clones, I have some.

This thread is one example:
http://smashboards.com/threads/lucina-luigified-potential-moveset-the-renais-twins.408638/

I'd rather have someone like Isaac+Felix and Andy or some vets (namely Snake/Ivysaur) than FE newcomers at this point. Roy filled many niches and needed roles that any given FE newcomer wouldn't come close to.

FE has representation for every system (Marth = NES, SNES, DS, Ike = Gamecube, Wii, Roy = GBA, Robin with a Lucina freebie = 3DS) and every international continent with more than one game, along with Roy being the perfect catalyst for more localizations and remakes and what representation was needed. Soda (Facebook group owner) has ideas for alt characters we mutually culminated via discussion after ironing out likelihood and placement for each alt (Leif being a Roy alt due to the Light Sword or Jugdral's Fire Swords possibly creating flame, Eirika on Marth due to being taught by Ephraim who had a lance which is a tip-based weapon, Seliph on Lucina due to being the only other descendant lord of a second generation, Alm on Ike to represent Valencia) as an idea to tie together the unrepresented continents. My Lucina thread expanded on one of them, but in a different way than this paragraph.

Most importantly, I like looking back at our past support. I originally looked back at the thread to silently laugh at those who said Roy wouldn't return or those who put us down and ended up just wanting to remind us of our past efforts so I likebombed the ones I liked.

Monkey balls, by the way.

the publisher should be named CrophMaruMariolu2W0vol41PEeeeeek since monkies in particular Eeeeeek.

Page 13 of the legacy thread, lolm2k.
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...y-support-thread.324203/page-13#post-15448388

I wish I had the patience to find even more claims that Roy would never return. I never did get my laughs like I thought I would until today. I thought I would be in peoples' faces and get petty laughs or "in your faces" as part of my celebration back when things got a bit overwhelming and the worst I've done is quote just their words without notifying them. Glad to see I shaped up just a teeny, teeny bit :) I'm sure the RTC thread would have plenty of quote material if it weren't for the sound files in April.

I will go into helping get down techniques and more of basic principles on what I did when I first got into Melee's AT's that helped here soon. It's 3:52 and I'm mainly editing a draft I had saved all day and adding some. I need sleep to get my head straight first.

Last edited:

HeartGlaceon

Smash Rookie
I was overjoyed when I found out that Roy was in this game. Even more so when I saw how much he'd been buffed since Melee. He's pretty much exactly what I wanted...

Been maining him since the DLC came out, was definitely worth it. Glad to see there's been a lot of support for him.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I was overjoyed when I found out that Roy was in this game. Even more so when I saw how much he'd been buffed since Melee. He's pretty much exactly what I wanted...

Been maining him since the DLC came out, was definitely worth it. Glad to see there's been a lot of support for him.
You have the most adorable account picture I've seen yet here.
And I welcome you to the Royboards! Play and master him wisely, with his extreme fun gameplay!

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Monkey balls, by the way.

the publisher should be named CrophMaruMariolu2W0vol41PEeeeeek since monkies in particular Eeeeeek.
Fun fact: the "Eeeeeek" in my old name was inspired by a move from this card:

CleffaTCG.jpg

What a jank card at the time lmao.

Also, I miss the old Monkey Ball. Then again, there's a lot of Sega franchises I miss.

Last edited:
Fun fact: the "Eeeeeek" in my old name was inspired by a move from this card:

View attachment 59693

What a jank card at the time lmao.

Also, I miss the old Monkey Ball. Then again, there's a lot of Sega franchises I miss.
when you get liek 50 fairs or uairs in a row with Roy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b_WY2lGD4I

I wonder if trainer cards alone on a 30 HP Pokemon have some sort of viable win condition. Attach a giant ****ing cannon and blow away the competition.

Run 4 Cleffa as your only Pokemon, dump your hand every turn, and pray to the RNG that none of your opponent's attacks get through via coin flips.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I wonder if trainer cards alone on a 30 HP Pokemon have some sort of viable win condition. Attach a giant ****ing cannon and blow away the competition.

Run 4 Cleffa as your only Pokemon, dump your hand every turn, and pray to the RNG that none of your opponent's attacks get through via coin flips.
Well there was Focus Band, which can help stall even more for when you're setting up.

You should check out this article which goes over one of the worst formats in the Pokemon TCG history. I don't play the game (only a card collector) so I don't know a whole lot, but when coin flips play a huge part in wins and losses, well, I could imagine the frustration.

It's funny, I seem to have more fun collecting the cards than playing most recent Pokemon games *raises flame shield* But hey, spin-off games are another story. Speaking of which, I'm counting the days until we get more info on that Pokemon Detective game.

Such delicious nightmare fuel~

Last edited:
Well there was Focus Band, which can help stall even more for when you're setting up.

You should check out this article which goes over one of the worst formats in the Pokemon TCG history. I don't play the game (only a card collector) so I don't know a whole lot, but when coin flips play a huge part in wins and losses, well, I could imagine the frustration.

It's funny, I seem to have more fun collecting the cards than playing most recent Pokemon games *raises flame shield* But hey, spin-off games are another story. Speaking of which, I'm counting the days until we get more info on that Pokemon Detective game.

Such delicious nightmare fuel~
"If you had Cleffa active and wanted to use Eeeeeeek to get a new hand, and your opponent had a baby Pokemon in the active spot (say, another Cleffa), whether or not you would get that new hand of 7 cards was dependent on whether you could flip heads. During the early turns of the game, when both players had Cleffa active and were trying to build up their side of the field, who built up first was in large part dependent on who could consistently flip heads the most consistently to successfully Eeeeeeek."

This is even more nightmare fuel than that Pikachu.

Also, here's a pretty nice Roy drawing.

Top Bottom