• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
"If you had Cleffa active and wanted to use Eeeeeeek to get a new hand, and your opponent had a baby Pokemon in the active spot (say, another Cleffa), whether or not you would get that new hand of 7 cards was dependent on whether you could flip heads. During the early turns of the game, when both players had Cleffa active and were trying to build up their side of the field, who built up first was in large part dependent on who could consistently flip heads the most consistently to successfully Eeeeeeek."

This is even more nightmare fuel than that Pikachu.
Lol. No wonder Cleffa has a move called "Eeeeeeek"... cuz that's the same word you're gonna shriek if you're against the little bugger!

Nice artworks btw.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm having a bit of trouble fighting Roy with Pit.

Just finished a sparring session with my brother. His advice was:

- Don't approach, let Roy come to you
- Don't run away unless it's to bait Roy
- Don't throw out empty n-airs (a common trick with Pit to goad approaches)
- Don't challenge his dominance in neutral
- Don't let him grab you
- Try and grab him

I get the impression that, like most of Pit's matchups, it's down to individual skill rather than any inherent advantage either way: sometimes I did really well and kept him off with great spacing and mind games, other times I just crumbled and ended up as combo food. Anybody got any tips for an aspiring young angel?

I'm really digging Dark Pit lately. @ Wintropy Wintropy , you came in at the perfect time while I was typing this. I used him for a Conquest lately, and he put a lot of work into some matchup Roy struggled with, I forget which. I think it was Dedede. I've been experimenting with him on characters like Samus and feeling more breathing room. Faking out people with extra jumps and his recovery options is fun.

I like his taunts, voice, palettes, render pose, Final Smash, side-b arm, victory animations, and HIS THEME so much more than Pit's. I love how he got his own theme as a victory screen deal, too. I liked the way Masashi used Pit in Brawl and that was alien when it came to the new Pit, which discouraged me from playing him when soulsearching mains for quite a while in this game. I warmed up to it all over time and enjoy the charm put into Dark Pit, similar to how Roy was designed in Melee.

Out of all of the characters included in Smash, Roy is the only one that is included before his own game is released.

But don’t worry.

Even if you are unfamiliar with the source game, you will quickly fall in love with the character after seeing his charm.
I'll experiment more and see how useful he is in complimenting Roy's weak areas. If it all works out, I may look into source material. Besides that he's fun to play anyways.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Dedede? You don't say. I think that's one of Pit's tougher matchups (not terribly hard, just...not very nice).

Pit and Dark Pit are great, though, they're very well-rounded and have a dependable toolkit. Definitely try them and see what you think!

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Dedede is one of those matchups I wouldn't even consider using Marth for - I'd just go straight for ZSS. I don't imagine Roy has it much better, if at all.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Transformation stages are a pain in the ass for me (thanks to Roy's lovely recovery, and slip-ups that I'm usually prone to). Delfino Plaza, Skyloft, Wuhu Island, Castle Siege, etc... I need to get more comfortable with these stages. espiecally since they're all legal at my local

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Transformation stages are a pain in the *** for me (thanks to Roy's lovely recovery, and slip-ups that I'm usually prone to). Delfino Plaza, Skyloft, Wuhu Island, Castle Siege, etc... I need to get more comfortable with these stages. espiecally since they're all legal at my local
delfino is just butt in general

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Last edited:
Gotta love that low ceiling shenanigans. among other things...

Which reminds me, I kinda miss :frigate:. I like the atmosphere and rotation mechanic, but when the stage flips... cheap KO gimmicks ensure.
Reminds me of when I had Halberd counterpicked on me and the other guy died so early from Blazer and usmash.

Dedede is one of those matchups I wouldn't even consider using Marth for - I'd just go straight for ZSS. I don't imagine Roy has it much better, if at all.
Tips for ZSS vs. Dedede to shift it even more in ZSS's favor?

Long post incoming.

I've seen speculation that 1.0.9 buffed or nerfed Roy in my Facebook newsfeed.

Replays are fine, so not even minor bug fixes on characters happened.

What would you guys like to see happen to Roy? I would like to see Double-Edge Dance link together better, similar to the fixes Marth and Lucina got to theirs, as well as more uthrow knockback on all of them, specifcally buffing Roy's to Marth and Lucina's level. Those are some small fixes that would go a really long way.

I also feel that Robin has about as much viability as Roy at the moment. People are sleeping on him, we'll see how she develops in the future.

--

I played a pretty cool guy on For Glory today.

I played Roy against his Red Robin (the MU isn't too bad for Roy like I speculated it'd be) and watched his offstage options and baited out an airdodge to spike him. He didn't seem to mind. The next match, he switched to Roy with the "(Binding)" tag while I switched to Marth to test Marth vs. Robin, but I got more data on Marth vs. Roy. Next match, I switched my tag to "I LOVE FE6" and he changed his tag to "SAME" and then he switched his tag to Mars and I switched to Roy for the ditto not thinking anything of the tag. Turns out he went Marth instead (duh tag) so I got more Marth vs. Roy experience. I've been speculating for a while that it's in Marth's favor. Won Marth vs. Roy in a two stock, then won Roy vs. Marth on my second stock with 50%, which is adding to my data that it might be 60-40 Marth's favor. Changed my tag to "GGS =D" and left. I hope he's either on the Facebook group or here in the Smashboards thread.

Today was a good day. Got an oil change, so now many of my plans and trip ideas are open again. Can't wait to go to the indoor pools across the county to swim when there's storms or when it's not hot enough to make my little backyard pool more than a painful ice cube, travel to tournaments, and just get out to the other towns and cities once again.

I used the lamest Robin against a :4feroy: and only took 20-30% because I punished him for pretty much breathing (landing, whiffs, recovery, ledge options, and any aggression were punished hard with huge spell combos or gimps) and baited out so much stuff. I was told to get better wifi despite no lag (Even tiny amounts are easily noticable to me) and being the only one using my family's connection with only smash open. People, man. I don't mind, I just thought it was hilarious.

My Robin is either hella good or garbage, depends on the player/character I face. They seem to contrast Roy well and I really do think people sleep on how good Robin is as a counterpick to so many things out there. I find it hilarious Robin was considered S-tier at some point when Japanese sm4sh for 3DS came out, only topped by Bowser, Duck Hunt Dog, Sheik and Zero Suit Samus. :chuckle:

Not considering it a real list, and I haven't seen any solid lists that use more than a tiny chunk of tournament data, any lists that are more than what eventscrubs can muster, or anything else besides personal lists or highly unreliable votes. I feel like each patch should have its own somewhat-reliable list and matchup spreads before transitioning into the next, as simply data to compare to and look back on later.

I did predict the rise of Ness, Peach, Fox, Pikachu, Luigi, Diddy, and Mario, and I predicted the fall of Duck Hunt, Bowser, Meta Knight, and Mac. I was wrong about Marth and Ike rising much higher, Falco being alongside Fox in viability when I still strongly believe it (especially with 1.0.8), Dark Pit being considered equally as viable as Pit when Pit is somehow always a level higher, and Lucina not being bottom which I still strongly believe. This is compared to the opinions and data spread around in the last year or so.

--

Playing New Super Mario Bros. (Wii) with my little brother. When we got to World 2, I was absolutely determined to give :4roy: hell. That was probably the fastest and/or most motivated I've been to beat a Mario boss, both fights.

--

Holy hell, talk about alternate timelines. For anyone in The Royvolution on Facebook, we're talking about parallel universes where FE gets different Smash representation (Sigurd/Seliph/Leif first, and FE64 succeeds and Ike is used for promotional purposes instead of Roy, Marth and/or an Elibe character comes to Brawl, then what Smash 4 could be) and FE64 doesn't get cancelled.

This stuff is getting too real.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/405593832915234/permalink/547821715359111/

--

Thank you to whichever mod deleted my double post for me. That post was super embarassing on my end, holy crap.

--

Is ace attorney a good series?
Why are you guys just saying it's good? That's an understatement. :laugh:

@ Croph Croph gurl why you gotta remind me about Frigate Orpheon

My favourite Metroid stage
I miss Frigate. Hopefully they add some Melee and Brawl stages, or even some new stages like Venus Lighthouse (the Brawl mods for it are so based) or an Advance Wars stage. I could die happy if Fourside returned, my biggest hope is that the beautiful Fourside theme still isn't back. :sadeyes:

Holy crap, I wrote a lot.
tl;dr: I just rambled and copy+pasted a lot of stuff from the Facebook group, talked about a few small parts of my day, etc. Nothing too important if you don't want to read all of that.
Don't sleep on Robin's viability, they may be one of Roy's best secondaries. Robin is fun.
Bring back Fourside.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I would love to see Sigurd as playable, especially if he got to use his horse, and switch between swords and lances. Never gonna happen, though (doesn't help that IS are basically ignoring that FE4 exists these days). :/

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
lol that early japanese 3ds tier list is hilarious

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
@ Croph Croph gurl why you gotta remind me about Frigate Orpheon

My favourite Metroid stage
I could still hear the siren going off from a distance... The sound will always be ringing in my head...

Eeeeooo-Eeeeooo-Eeeeooo-Eeeeooo...

"PREPARE YOURSELF THE STAGE IS GOING TO FLIP!!"

*gets screwed over by the stage and SDs*

"****. Times like this you wish you weren't playing Lucas."

But it's not only the siren, it's also this music:

Why do you mock me, Parasite Queen, with your eerie and disturbing music. You're just squirming around in that giant tube, and I should be safe from this distance. So why do I feel so threatened-- OMG who turned off the lights!! And what's with these creepy sound effects!

Needless to say, Frigate Orpheon would look awesome in HD. :3 I would say Brinstar Depths as well, especially because of Kraid, but Frigate Orpheon is my fave Metroid stage too. Love the atmosphere.

I would love to see Sigurd as playable, especially if he got to use his horse, and switch between swords and lances. Never gonna happen, though (doesn't help that IS are basically ignoring that FE4 exists these days). :/
Sigurd and Eliwood as Knight Lord homies for Smash, please. Eliwood can be an alt model, Sigurd can represent them as a whole.

It's a good way to get Jugdral representation (only multi-game continent without it), possibly more FE overseas, and to essentially tell all the Hector/Lyndis fans who put down Eliwood to blow me.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
haven't played it yet, but it does really seem to be taking a page out of FE4/5

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Imagine if Ike was the one who was put in Melee to promote the FEN64 game instead of Roy and Roy's game was released on the Gamecube and was put in Brawl instead of Ike?

On top of that, what if it was Ike that got the flak from the FE fanbase for being a weak character and it was Roy that was a OHKO wrecking machine that fans adored? Man I gotta admit, I would love to have been in that parallel universe.

Last edited:
Genealogy in a nutshell:

"You get a horse! He gets a horse! She gets a horse! Those 6 guys who just promoted over there get horses!"

Visual representation, my fully promoted final party minus the unmounted re-recruit later in this chapter.

10 cavalry, 2 flying mounts, 11+1 unmounted.

The NPC's have a much higher mount ratio than this, if you think this is excessive.

Now I'm tempted to make a Sigurd+Eliwood thread. Sakurai loves Sigurd and there's so much Eliwood screenshot potential for reveals with Roy's inclusion plus Lyndis's Assist, so why not? Jugdral gets a rep, the main lord of our first overseas FE gets in, bam. Eliwood deserves it much more than Chrom, due to Eliwood and Roy simply being a much more badass father+child duo than Chrom and Lucina, better series representation, and Sigurd being a badass daddy as well. Unique character combo that represents more of the series' history. If there's enough fan-demand, they'll at least be more likely for FE: Fates, after they both got left out of Awakening's DLC for... some no reason.

Imagine if Ike was the one who was put in Melee to promote the FEN64 game instead of Roy and Roy's game was released on the Gamecube and was put in Brawl instead of Ike?

On top of that, what if it was Ike that got the flak from the FE fanbase for being a weak character and it was Roy that was a OHKO wrecking machine that fans adored? Man I gotta admit, I would love to have been in that parallel universe.
You do love that parallel universe, though. Because all of us are in it. Just not in this one :c

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
FE4/FE5 I kinda doubt will ever be trumped in terms of story.
Incest and gruesome death are the norm there.

Like, I got into Game of Thrones at some point and I just plainly was not ever surprised about anything that happened in there as a literary device. I could never not make mental comparisons with events while at the same time annoying people I watched it with as I would always be right about what's going to happen next.

Moral of the story: Game of Thrones; Fire Emblem4/5 for baka gaijins.
[There's quite a bit of lore/backstory of the games that were separate releases, many of which have been lost to time/never translated; plus completing the game like 50 times gives you hints of the horror between 1st and 2nd generation]

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Long post incoming.

I've seen speculation that 1.0.9 buffed or nerfed Roy in my Facebook newsfeed.

Replays are fine, so not even minor bug fixes on characters happened.

What would you guys like to see happen to Roy? I would like to see Double-Edge Dance link together better, similar to the fixes Marth and Lucina got to theirs, as well as more uthrow knockback on all of them, specifcally buffing Roy's to Marth and Lucina's level. Those are some small fixes that would go a really long way.

I also feel that Robin has about as much viability as Roy at the moment. People are sleeping on him, we'll see how she develops in the future.

--

I played a pretty cool guy on For Glory today.

I played Roy against his Red Robin (the MU isn't too bad for Roy like I speculated it'd be) and watched his offstage options and baited out an airdodge to spike him. He didn't seem to mind. The next match, he switched to Roy with the "(Binding)" tag while I switched to Marth to test Marth vs. Robin, but I got more data on Marth vs. Roy. Next match, I switched my tag to "I LOVE FE6" and he changed his tag to "SAME" and then he switched his tag to Mars and I switched to Roy for the ditto not thinking anything of the tag. Turns out he went Marth instead (duh tag) so I got more Marth vs. Roy experience. I've been speculating for a while that it's in Marth's favor. Won Marth vs. Roy in a two stock, then won Roy vs. Marth on my second stock with 50%, which is adding to my data that it might be 60-40 Marth's favor. Changed my tag to "GGS =D" and left. I hope he's either on the Facebook group or here in the Smashboards thread.

Today was a good day. Got an oil change, so now many of my plans and trip ideas are open again. Can't wait to go to the indoor pools across the county to swim when there's storms or when it's not hot enough to make my little backyard pool more than a painful ice cube, travel to tournaments, and just get out to the other towns and cities once again.

I used the lamest Robin against a :4feroy: and only took 20-30% because I punished him for pretty much breathing (landing, whiffs, recovery, ledge options, and any aggression were punished hard with huge spell combos or gimps) and baited out so much stuff. I was told to get better wifi despite no lag (Even tiny amounts are easily noticable to me) and being the only one using my family's connection with only smash open. People, man. I don't mind, I just thought it was hilarious.

My Robin is either hella good or garbage, depends on the player/character I face. They seem to contrast Roy well and I really do think people sleep on how good Robin is as a counterpick to so many things out there. I find it hilarious Robin was considered S-tier at some point when Japanese sm4sh for 3DS came out, only topped by Bowser, Duck Hunt Dog, Sheik and Zero Suit Samus. :chuckle:

Not considering it a real list, and I haven't seen any solid lists that use more than a tiny chunk of tournament data, any lists that are more than what eventscrubs can muster, or anything else besides personal lists or highly unreliable votes. I feel like each patch should have its own somewhat-reliable list and matchup spreads before transitioning into the next, as simply data to compare to and look back on later.

I did predict the rise of Ness, Peach, Fox, Pikachu, Luigi, Diddy, and Mario, and I predicted the fall of Duck Hunt, Bowser, Meta Knight, and Mac. I was wrong about Marth and Ike rising much higher, Falco being alongside Fox in viability when I still strongly believe it (especially with 1.0.8), Dark Pit being considered equally as viable as Pit when Pit is somehow always a level higher, and Lucina not being bottom which I still strongly believe. This is compared to the opinions and data spread around in the last year or so.

--

Playing New Super Mario Bros. (Wii) with my little brother. When we got to World 2, I was absolutely determined to give :4roy: hell. That was probably the fastest and/or most motivated I've been to beat a Mario boss, both fights.

--

Holy hell, talk about alternate timelines. For anyone in The Royvolution on Facebook, we're talking about parallel universes where FE gets different Smash representation (Sigurd/Seliph/Leif first, and FE64 succeeds and Ike is used for promotional purposes instead of Roy, Marth and/or an Elibe character comes to Brawl, then what Smash 4 could be) and FE64 doesn't get cancelled.

This stuff is getting too real.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/405593832915234/permalink/547821715359111/

--

Thank you to whichever mod deleted my double post for me. That post was super embarassing on my end, holy crap.

--

Why are you guys just saying it's good? That's an understatement. :laugh:

I miss Frigate. Hopefully they add some Melee and Brawl stages, or even some new stages like Venus Lighthouse (the Brawl mods for it are so based) or an Advance Wars stage. I could die happy if Fourside returned, my biggest hope is that the beautiful Fourside theme still isn't back. :sadeyes:

Holy crap, I wrote a lot.
tl;dr: I just rambled and copy+pasted a lot of stuff from the Facebook group, talked about a few small parts of my day, etc. Nothing too important if you don't want to read all of that.
Don't sleep on Robin's viability, they may be one of Roy's best secondaries. Robin is fun.
Bring back Fourside.
I used try out Robin in the early days (cuz Green Robin is best Robin), but the more I played as Robin the more I was like, "Eh, I don't think his gameplay suits me". I still think Robin's a pretty fun character.

I'm still soul searching for a secondary. I need to channel my spiritual energy and look deep into my heart to find who has been calling out to me this whole time. I might demote Shulk to a character I just like to play as, we'll see

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Is ace attorney a good series?
Yes. YES. Play it. There is a remastered version with the whole trilogy on the e-shop.
One case can take up to 1-6 hours. There are always 4-5 cases per part. There are 3 parts.
4x4x3=42 hours, excluding the tutorial cases, and excluding that insanely hard special case on the first part.
My reccomendation is to skip it till you really played through everything else before coming back at this part, it is till now the hardest case I ever played.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Is ace atorney a good series?
Yes. YES. Play it. There is a remastered version with the whole trilogy on the e-shop.
One case can take up to 1-6 hours. There are always 4-5 cases per part. There are 3 parts.
4x4x3=42 hours, excluding the tutorial cases, and excluding that insanely hard special case on the first part.
My reccomendation is to skip it till you really played through everything else before coming back at this part, it is till now the hardest case I ever played.
OK OK I will play it. Damn son.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Well, my brother had recently finished Japanese FE if Hoshido path... and now it's my turn for waiting to get the game...

And who knows how will Roy look like in FE if.
After I do some researches, I found Pieri from Nohr is really a cool character. She maybe sort of a bloodlust, but hey, seems to be a great character to be on your team.
This pic looks just amazing

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Well, my brother had recently finished Japanese FE if Hoshido path... and now it's my turn for waiting to get the game...

And who knows how will Roy look like in FE if.
After I do some researches, I found Pieri from Nohr is really a cool character. She maybe sort of a bloodlust, but hey, seems to be a great character to be on your team.
This pic looks just amazing
She reminds me of this Miku:

Must be the gradient hair and pigtails. :awesome:

If Roy's not going to be in FE: if, I'm going to be sooo disappointed. Heck, I'm already disappointed since I'm most likely not going to be able to pre-order his Amiibo. These things are going to sell out within 5 seconds!

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
She reminds me of this Miku:

Must be the gradient hair and pigtails. :awesome:

If Roy's not going to be in FE: if, I'm going to be sooo disappointed. Heck, I'm already disappointed since I'm most likely not going to be able to pre-order his Amiibo. These things are going to sell out within 5 seconds!
Whoa! Is this a official color palette of Miku? Never seen this Miku before.

Don't worry, he will as a amiibo. And why not? Just wait for his amiibo confirmation. Don't say it too soon.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I guess I'm kinda pessimistic when it comes to Roy appearing in FE: if. But yeah, there's no reason to exclude him.

It's a design taken from a Vocaloid composer's songs. Infinity Miku or Miku's Infinity design or Infinite Holic Miku or whatever the name is, also appears in the Project DIVA games. Yup, Miku has a ton of different costumes haha.

Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
@ Croph Croph @ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 I want your guys opinion on this. So my friend and i came up with a new tag for me since Knux is kinda bland for me since im not big into Knuckles as much as i used to. How does WoC| Archeis sound? i can use Arkis for short too. also my friend made me a basic photo for me so far. hes working on a better one too.
^BFCC1CBF28153F139062078CA28CA3E25DFFEB8DACA4A94D54^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman

Don't worry, he will as a amiibo. And why not? Just wait for his amiibo confirmation. Don't say it too soon.
The terror of amiibo is not to be underestimated. I've personally had many nightmares about them. Thirteen dollar plastic figures can ruin your life in weeks if you're not careful. If you ever buy one and only one, count yourself as one of the lucky ones.

EDIT: The quote screwed up and I have no clue how to fix it oops (I DID IT)

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I guess I'm kinda pessimistic when it comes to Roy appearing in FE: if. But yeah, there's no reason to exclude him.

It's a design taken from a Vocaloid composer's songs. Infinity Miku or Miku's Infinity design or Infinite Holic Miku or whatever the name is, also appears in the Project DIVA games. Yup, Miku has a ton of different costumes haha.
I see, I remember she has a pink palette too...
The terror of amiibo is not to be underestimated. I've personally had many nightmares about them. Thirteen dollar plastic figures can ruin your life in weeks if you're not careful. If you ever buy one and only one, count yourself as one of the lucky ones.

EDIT: The quote screwed up and I have no clue how to fix it oops (I DID IT)
Which amiibos are you referring to? If you are saying the rare ones like Shulk, yeah...
Glad I'm not in USA, so amiibos wouldn't really be a nightmare to me. So far I haven't got even a single penny, I hope I can get my money soon...

Top Bottom