• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Wait, who was announced for doing Big Boss's new voice?

Ryu Hayabusa would be a good wildcard choice if it weren't for the fact about how gory and violent the Ninja Gaiden games are. I am not sure a character from DOA would work well either. However, theoretically, the will is certainly there from Tecmo-Koei (they have allowed so many Nintendo character cameos in their games, and even worked on various Nintendo properties themselves).
I don't think there would be as much effort needed to fit him in as say Snake as they gore is mostly for show as well as the NES games to draw from. Not really betting on him myself nor am I am going to bring up him much myself but he's definitely an overlooked wildcard.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Again, pretty sure Kojima has confirmed that Solid Snake will be coming back in future instalments. In fact, I have a confirmation right here.
He's not relevant... That is the point, and the only one that matters in this case. Big Boss is the big man on campus right now, and we still don't know if either title will even hit the Wii U. I don't think Sakurai will go through the trouble of bowing to Konami's cash grab for a game that, as of now, may not even hit the Wii U. We'll see come E3.

Do you have a source for Sutherland being confirmed as Snakes VA? I mean, besides the internet rumor mill?
Besides the fact that it sounds like Sutherland? And I've watched enough seasons of 24 to have his voice ingrained into some compartment of my brain? None. However, Hayter is gone -- or temporarily relieved of his VA duties -- that much is true.

Well, you're kind of right.

But anyway, suppose that Snake is included in Smash 4. Who would hire the English actors for Smash? I think it would be Nintendo of America, who could hire David Hayter to do his voice.

And I also think that in the voice acting department, Nintendo has hired more known (to the video game and anime communities) VAs for KIU and FEA, two heavily promoted games. Considering Nintendo's story with voice acting, I think this is a positive aspect.

It would be foolish if Nintendo didn't advertise SSB4 like they did with KIU and FEA.
Konami will dictate who Nintendo hires as VA. Sakurai and Nintendo oblige out of good will and legality, and knowing the basket case that Sutherland can become after a few good bourbons... Yeah... Don't see that happening.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Nothing confirmed:

I know the actor very well and I can bet my balls that's him. Strange though that both characters seem voiced by him.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Depends on what you mean by changes. Link and the rest of Hyrule Tier need a lot of changes. Link's attacks in particular need to be faster and just sync together over all.
Well the game mechanics may change dramatically from Brawl so their current speed and tier level could be irrelevant even with the same moveset. However, I expect with the differences between Link's abilities in Skyward Sword and Link's abilities in WW there will be a couple of moves changed. Perhaps a move will replace the boomerang since it is not in SS for example. I am not sure what will be the change but there will likely be one that helps distinguish the two a little more and most likely the move change will relate to the new games.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Nothing confirmed:

I know the actor very well and I can bet my balls that's him. Strange though that both characters seem voiced by him.
I think the character is a figment of his imagination. Might have a lot to do with Psycho Mantis or some other plot device.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
1. I think both Snake and Sonic will return, but I would not be surprised to see them placed low on the totem pole in term of priority characters, much like Jigglypuff, Toon Link and Wolf in Brawl. I do feel like people exaggerate their chances of leaving, capitalizing on the fact that they are third party to state that they are definitely at-risk characters, when really, it's more of a toss-up.

2. No, I do not think we will see any Namco characters. Even that one Tales guy basically said the decision rests in Sakurai's hands, and he's not exactly itching to "expand universes" with more third parties. I'm not going to beat around the bush here and claim half a dozen unimportant Namco third parties "might happen," because, if anything, Sakurai's third party quote was a not-so-subtle hint that, no, they won't.

3. I do see Megaman as a near lock at this point, since Sakurai began development knowing he was a fan favorite, whereas a last minute poll revealed as much about Sonic pre-Brawl and he became a late priority addition. Snake and Sonic ought to return alongside him, keeping the game at a healthy third party count of three characters.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
1. I think that Snake and Sonic will return.
2. I give Pac-Man a really good chance, considering he's a video game all-star, and he fits in pretty well.
3. Megaman (although I'd prefer X).

yani

Smash Lord
I am curious where people here stand in regards to third-parties.

1. Do you think Snake and Sonic will return?
2. Do you think Namco will have a playable character?
3. What third-party newcomers do you see happening?
1. I think so. But if I had to bet I'd say Snakes cut and Sonic stays.
2. 100% yes.
3. Pacman, Mega Man, Bayonetta (if Sonic is cut)

peeup

Smash Lord
Bayonetta
No.

There are about a billion third party characters that are about a billion times more likely to be in Smash than Bayonetta.

But dude, Bayonetta 2 was a Wii U exclusive!

Well gee golly you're right. Just like how Sonic's and Snake's most recent game were Nintendo exclusives!

But dude, it would appeal to older gamers!

Well gee golly you're right again. All those games that teach spelling and counting should also put in hyper sexualized female characters that slice people apart and blow people's brains out, that would appeal to older gamers as well.

But dude, she's hugely popular!

Well gee golly when you're right you're right. Her popularity puts to shame the popularity of such nobodies as Pac-Man, MegaMan, Geno, Simon Belmont, Rayman, Bomberman, Sora, Token Final Fantasy character, Second Sonic character, Agumon(??)

Basically Bayonetta won't be in Smash.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I saw Simon Belmont mentioned. Truthfully, I would LOVE to see a Castlevania character in Smash 4 (either Simon Belmont or Alucard), however, considering that series will likely go back into cold storage once Lord of Shadows 2 is released, this is nothing more than a pipe dream.

The same goes for Crono. Square would like us all to forget that they made games that great.

peeup

Smash Lord
I was pretty much just tossing out names and I've seen Simon Belmont's come up. Point is, there are others that are much more deserving if we're looking at popularity.

And Psycho, yeah, same, and yeah, me neither.

D

Deleted member

ChronoBound said:

Yes. There's a chance they could be cut simply due to third-party status (if Sakurai feels as guests should be a one-time thing, but given Sakurai's positive comments on them, I think Sakurai would want them to return.
ChronoBound said:
I strongly doubt that Namco will be getting a character this game for quite a few reasons, but if we were to get one, Pac-Man is definitely it. Willing to bet lots of money that any other Namco rep isn't getting in.

I see many reasons to keep a Namco rep out and very few to add one in and what reasons there might be to add one just isn't enough for me to say a Namco rep is worth it.
ChronoBound said:
Mega Man I think is the most likely third-party addition. Layton is also a possibility due to Sakurai and Hino (president of Level-5) being friends and Hino wanting Layton in Smash, although much more questionable. Geno may also have a chance, but that's only if the rumor that Sakurai tried to get him for Brawl is true (which can't be proven). That said, I think Mega Man will be the only third-party addition made to the roster.

Also in regards to Ryu Hayabusa, why couldn't they use him from the NES/SNES games? They're not nearly as gory and I'm sure if Ryu Hayabusa were to be added (which I don't see happening) that they would take from the NES games, not from the much more violent games.

peeup

Smash Lord
Agumon is actually like at the top of my wanted third party characters list. Right behind Sora.

Cause let's face it, Pikachu vs Agumon would be ****ing dope.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Now if Bayonetta was younger, blonde and in a mini skirt we'd have something

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ok, so Snake will get cut cause he'll get a different voice actor?

Considering his voice is just about the best thing from his apperance in Brawl, I'd be down for it.

However, I'll likely be dissapointed.

Snake should be Link and C.Falcon's weight though at heaviest. Not rivalling Donkey Kong. :facepalm:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Considering 3rd parties, though I'd like them to return, I wouldn't really care if they are cut.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly, the only time I played as Sonic was through Classic and All Star I think. And even that felt like a burden.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I played him for fun a lot. Matches against Mario and such

peeup

Smash Lord
Now if Bayonetta was younger, blonde and in a mini skirt we'd have something
Also if she was a fox and an Awing pilot :troll:

Honestly, the only time I played as Sonic was through Classic and All Star I think. And even that felt like a burden.
Anybody could say that about any character, its 100% subjective. For example, I feel the same way about Wolf. Doesn't mean anything about whether or not he should stay or anything.

D

Deleted member

1. I don't think they'll return. They're guests after all.
2. It's very possible
3. Megaman, Bayonetta and Lloyd are my personal gamble.

Also, I'm bothered when people say Snake will go but Sonic will come back. Both are on EQUAL ground, it's either both come back or both leave... There are no halfsies. Sonic isn't special, and thus doesn't take any priority over anyone else.

peeup

Smash Lord
Care to explain?
The reason for their appearances in Smash are completely different.

Snake was included as a favor to one of Sakurai's close friends who had been pushing him since Melee.

Sonic was included due to massive fan request.

One was a favor for a friend, one was a favor for the masses.

If Snake gets cut, there is one person who originally wanted him in that will be disappointed.

If Sonic gets cut, there are thousands (hundreds? millions? I dunno, a lot) of people who originally wanted him in that will be disappointed.

The rivalry between Sonic and Mario is iconic. Iconic. Snake has no such claim to stake.

Snake has a higher chance of leaving than Sonic because it will upset fewer people.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Tired of these double standards when it comes to guest characters/relevancy.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Sonic is the higher priority third party of the two for sure, but why is Snake made out to be so at-risk for a cut? Because Sakurai -might- not want back the character he explicitly deemed a well-received success, just because he "doesn't fit" NOW? Because Kojima -might- say "Nah, he doesn't need to appear this time" if Sakurai goes to him requesting?

D

Deleted member

Snake was included as a favor to one of Sakurai's close friends who had been pushing him since Melee.

If Snake gets cut, there is one person who originally wanted him in that will be disappointed.

If Sonic gets cut, there are thousands (hundreds? millions? I dunno, a lot) of people who originally wanted him in that will be disappointed.

The rivalry between Sonic and Mario is iconic. Iconic. Snake has no such claim to stake.

Snake has a higher chance of leaving than Sonic because it will upset fewer people.
Yeah, and the thousands that wanted Sonic, got him. Now lets move on. Both are guests and are disposable. If Snake goes, so does Sonic. End of Story, there is nothing else for Sonic to do in Smash, he's not a Nintendo character and thus doesn't deserve a permanent spot on the roster for that reason alone.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Never let a good friend down man. Even though the whole world is against you.

BROS TILL THE END!

Yeah I'd rather keep Snake than Sonic.

D

Deleted member

Also, have people considered the possiblity that we might not have ANY 3rd parties at all?

It seems like a very possible outcome to me as well.

Megaman is the only on who has a solid chance of getting in really and even he's very hard to pin down because of how Capcom hates him.

bobadz

Smash Ace
You know Manly, your right, if Megaman doesn't get in I want it to return to just being 'Nintendo all-stars'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom