• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Link's attacks need to 'link' better. :link2:

And he could be more agile to. And his Skyward Sword self is just like that.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Reminds me of the situation whenever I jump from Marth to Roy every blue moon. Why the hell I do this is beyond me, maybe I get bored of Marth or something.

Also slightly unrelated, but I've been playing Captain Falcon a lot lately.
It's funny you say that. I'm kinda the opposite, whereas I play Marth from time to time. Though, recently I've picked up on Marth (in Brawl), trying to learn the ins and outs. But sometimes I still do habits that I would with Roy...especially with Marth's B, but I keep forgetting it's altered in Brawl. I've been playing Brawl for like, how many years, and I still forget. Old habits die hard I guess.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Link also needs to be a Midweight, never liked how heavy he was in Brawl

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Link has always kept the same weight throughout the series. Which is exactly the same as C.Falcon. And I'm glad he's rather heavy, cause he can't jump for ****. Makes him live longer you know.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Link needs to have that Stamina Gauge like in Skyward Sword. jk

But seriously, having moves that sync well together will definitely be a good thing for me...I do like that he has so many projectiles to spam as well. Or at least that's what I usually do when I'm playing the Links.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Preferably I hope SS Link uses Skyward Strike instead of a Boomerang. It could be a stronger version of the Boomerang easily.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Make the Bow good please. Please Sakurai please.

Skyward Strike beats Boomerangs for me though. Sword beams look far more satisfying than throwing a children's toy.

Sorrrryyyy. But it's truth.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I was thinking the Skyward Strike could be like a mini projectile for his Smash Attacks. And yeah, the Bow needs to be good, how about giving it some good knockback.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am curious where people here stand in regards to third-parties.

1. Do you think Snake and Sonic will return?
2. Do you think Namco will have a playable character?
3. What third-party newcomers do you see happening?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Boomerang should stay. skyward strike is cool, but it's not nearly as much of a constant in Links arsenal as the boomerang is. I think the legions of Brawl mods show that you can make Link good without replacing any of his moves or cannibalizing Toon Links moveset properties.

1. Yes. Don't see why not.
2. Possibly, if they push for it.
3. Megaman. Possibly Pac-Man or Lloyd.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

1. I tend to lean that way but I know it's very possible that they won't, and I don't really mind.
2. Nope.
3. Can only really see Mega Man happening.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

1. I think it's more likely for them to return.
2.Could go either way.
3. Megaman and Pac-man/Lloyd.

bobadz

Smash Ace

1. It could go ether way
2. It's likely
3. Mega Man, and PAC Man

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

1. No, as much as I would like them to return.
2. Can't deny that possibility.
3. Possibly Megaman and, if Namco's involvement means something, Pac-Man, Lloyd or Heihachi.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Snake's not coming back. Not sure what Sakurai will do with his unused playstyle, but knowing him he'll probably rework another character to fit that mold. Personally speaking, I hope Wolf receives grenade, mine and remote missile specials ala Star Fox: Assault; but that is about as realistic as wishing Ganondorf fights with a sword. Sonic the Hedgehog will probably return, on the one hand because he remains popular, and I don't see Sega really putting up too much a fuss about him being recycled for another game (company's too broke not to take the advertisement). Most people only wished for Sonic the Hedgehog and Megaman to start with. His advantage is it's just a matter of renewal if Sakurai wishes too, yet therein lies the caveat: if he wants. Considering he went out of his way to include him in Brawl (delays, Mewtwo/Roy absence anyone?), and has spoken positively on Sonic in the Smash universe every time the topic has come up, I'm even more inclined to believe he'd sooner bring him back over Solid Snake.

Namco is a funny situation. I can see a Snake situation happening -- having a character forced on us -- but I still think we'll get a retro Pacman stage and that will probably be the extent of contribution Namco provides besides development.

For what I can see happening? Sonic the Hedgehog and Megaman are about it, really. Of course with Megaman there is also the perceived hatred on the part of Capcom, but that has more to do with perception than reality. Capcom of America has done all they can to try and kickstart some communication going between Capjapan and Nintendo, so hopefully something has come of that initiative. There certainly isn't a lack of demand.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord

1. Snake might. Sonic I think will return. If he doesn't I don't think we'll have any third party characters.
2. Its possible but I don't think so.
3. Megaman, Sonic and Snake. I listed bomberman on my roster but I'm planning on taking him off. Being a third party character, I think he needs better reasons to join the game.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Snake's not coming back. Not sure what Sakurai will do with his unused playstyle, but knowing him he'll probably rework another character to fit that mold..
Personally, I would want Pico to take Snake's moveset, but that would never ever happen. I can't really think of any other Nintendo characters that could aside from your example of Wolf taking some of Snake's specials.

The main reason why I think Snake's future is iffy is how uninterested Kojima sounded when asked about Snake's inclusion in Brawl, he pretty much gave an answer where he said the only reason he wanted him in was because he wanted his son to be able to play a game with a character created by him.

As for Sonic, I am inclined to believe Sega would want Sonic back due to what you said, free advertising. However, if Sakurai shows no initiative, and Sega forgets/doesn't care about Smash 4, then I could see Sonic missing the boat this time as well.

You're also right on Mega Man. I think if Capcom USA had any say, Mega Man would definitely already be confirmed for Smash 4. Considering the Japanese demand for Mega Man is strong as well, I am inclined to think that Capcom Japan has followed through on Capcom USA's request for them to talk to Sakurai.

Namco character is tricky. You're right it would be another "Snake situation" where the character is basically forced upon the Smash Bros. fanbase. While is strong demand for a Tales character in Japan, there is no stand out character for the series (its like FE but worse), and no one can really agree on who it should be (at least in Japan). Pac-Man is kind of boring as a prospective addition, though far more iconic and appropriate that most other Namco additions. I think if a Namco character were to happen, we will see it at E3 2013.

I really don't get Sakurai's answer about "third-party characters are difficult to work in due to making sure they don't clash with the rest of Nintendo's characters". Characters like Mega Man and Sonic (and I guess Pac-Man as well) don't clash with most of the cast for Smash Bros. and are basically similar to most Nintendo characters in feel. I think that statement applied to Snake more than anything else.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Personally, I would want Pico to take Snake's moveset, but that would never ever happen. I can't really think of any other Nintendo characters that could aside from your example of Wolf taking some of Snake's specials.
Would it be possible for someone from Advance Wars to take his moveset? IDK much about that series, but it seems like there might be someone from that series who could use some of Snakes weaponry.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
My gut is telling me that Namco wants a Tales character in order for the series to become more popular internationally (hoping for dat FE effect). However, the prospect of a Tales character is almost as boring as Pac-Man. There are a lot of characters already on the roster (Marth, Ike), and as potential newcomers (Isaac, Shulk, Roy, Chrom, Saki) who give off the typical JRPG protagonist feel. Also, any Tales character they would choose would be someone from a previous Tales game, and unlike FE, they usually never revisit their universes except for "crossover" games.

I think Pac-Man could potentially work as a more interesting character addition (note, I said potentially) if they gave his moveset references to a lot of classic 1980's arcade Namco games (possibly references to Tales or Tekken as well). I think as a character Pac-Man would certainly bring more starpower than any other character in their stable. The cartoon and toyline that will be launching later this year (in September) makes me think E3 2013 will be the best time for them to announce Pac-Man as a character for Smash 4.

Pretty much I am expecting a Tales character or Pac-Man as Namco's rep, and that we will find out who it is (and whether it will even happen) at E3 2013. Just another two months to go I guess.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

1. Sonic's a good bet through and through. Sega needs the money, has been on good terms with Nintendo, and I can see Sakurai wanting another attempt at implementing him as Sonic stuff in general in Brawl felt underwhelming due to the lack of time.

Snake's up in the air. It'd be easier to guess WTF Kojima has going on with MGS5. With MGS3 3DS and fair Nintendo support I think he's a better bet than he probably was Pre-Brawl. Also can't help but wonder about Raiden over Snake in PSASBR. Am really just betting on him at the moment just because he takes up roster space.

2. At the moment I can see it happening, but am not betting on it. Both sides seem way too iffy based on those interviews and repeatedly saying Sakurai's in charge not them, they don't seem all that willing to make large suggestions to him. If it was casual or upfront it'd be more believable. Don't really see anyone being a good fit, Pac-Man doesn't seem like he'd fit the criteria and in general he's aged pretty bad bar Championship Edition. Can see both sides being iffy on Tekken and Soul. Tales is a tad too obscure and like Square Enix characters there's no really good rep. Not sure about the Monolith Xenosaga stuff, can see Kos-mos being obscure. Digimon are WTF.

3. Really just Mega Man, mostly because all the cards are in place for him. The normally vocal Capcom keeping their mouth shut for the past year or so, "big" E3 plans, 25th anniversary, World's Collide & Project X Zone, that one Sakurai interview, Ono.

Can see Ryu Hayabusa as a Snake-like Dark Horse due to Temco Koei's heavy Nintendo support (Other M, Samuari Warriors, DoA 3DS, Pokemon Conquest, NG3 Wii U). Not betting on him, but I can see it. As a side note, I find it BS that Bayonetta gets a bandwagon only after one game announcement in comparison to TKs Nintendo support.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Will.

He would make so much freaking sense... Too bad he is nowhere near A-Star quality...

The main reason why I think Snake's future is iffy is how uninterested Kojima sounded when asked about Snake's inclusion in Brawl, he pretty much gave an answer where he said the only reason he wanted him in was because he wanted his son to be able to play a game with a character created by him.
When you also take into consideration that David Hayter has pretty much been given the boot as the voice of Big Boss for Metal Gear Solid 5 in favor of, speculatively, Keifer Sutherland (*complimentary Jack Bauer joke*); the writing is on the wall that Solid Snake is not coming back.

As for Sonic, I am inclined to believe Sega would want Sonic back due to what you said, free advertising. However, if Sakurai shows no initiative, and Sega forgets/doesn't care about Smash 4, then I could see Sonic missing the boat this time as well.
If Sonic is removed, it won't be because of apathy or poor memory.

You're also right on Mega Man. I think if Capcom USA had any say, Mega Man would definitely already be confirmed for Smash 4. Considering the Japanese demand for Mega Man is strong as well, I am inclined to think that Capcom Japan has followed through on Capcom USA's request for them to talk to Sakurai.
Talking isn't the problem, it's the subject that concerns me.

Namco character is tricky. You're right it would be another "Snake situation" where the character is basically forced upon the Smash Bros. fanbase. While is strong demand for a Tales character in Japan, there is no stand out character for the series (its like FE but worse), and no one can really agree on who it should be (at least in Japan). Pac-Man is kind of boring as a prospective addition, though far more iconic and appropriate that most other Namco additions. I think if a Namco character were to happen, we will see it at E3 2013.
Let's lay out their more prominent franchises:

Pac-Man
Tekken
Tales of
Soul Calibur
Klonoa (sort of)

Do any of those series really offer anyone that scream "add me?" Not really. Of course there is also the Dragon Ball and Digimon games, but we all know why they don't qualify.

I really don't get Sakurai's answer about "third-party characters are difficult to work in due to making sure they don't clash with the rest of Nintendo's characters". Characters like Mega Man and Sonic (and I guess Pac-Man as well) don't clash with most of the cast for Smash Bros. and are basically similar to most Nintendo characters in feel. I think that statement applied to Snake more than anything else.
Pretty much. Plus I think Sakurai was also throwing that little comment out there for the random Resident Evil requests.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think if any third-party character aside from Mega Man is going to happen, E3 2013 is their best and probably only shot. Mega Man might also happen for E3 2013 as well because Capcom seemed to want to atone for the shoddy 25th-anniverary treatment they gave Mega Man.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
When you also take into consideration that David Hayter has pretty much been given the boot as the voice of Big Boss for Metal Gear Solid 5 in favor of, speculatively, Keifer Sutherland (*complimentary Jack Bauer joke*); the writing is on the wall that Solid Snake is not coming back.
Not sure why a different VA would prevent Snake from coming back. Also, I believe that Kojima confirmed that Solid Snake would be coming back in future games.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
A character changing VA is nothing new. By that logic, Pit won't return to Smash because he changed voice actor between Brawl and Uprising.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Not sure why a different VA would prevent Snake from coming back. Also, I believe that Kojima confirmed that Solid Snake would be coming back in future games.
The fact that Solid Snake has been completely removed from the Metal Gear Solid scene and is not relevant (the only time when it matters). It's all about Big Boss, and there is no way Nintendo can afford Keifer Sutherland. Trust me, those little things do matter.

A character changing VA is nothing new. By that logic, Pit won't return to Smash because he changed voice actor between Brawl and Uprising.
You're comparing apples to oranges. When it comes to third party franchises, these "small things" do matter. Which is why Sakurai has talked about the difficulty of including guest franchises into the series.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Can see Ryu Hayabusa as a Snake-like Dark Horse due to Temco Koei's heavy Nintendo support (Other M, Samuari Warriors, DoA 3DS, Pokemon Conquest, NG3 Wii U). Not betting on him, but I can see it. As a side note, I find it BS that Bayonetta gets a bandwagon only after one game announcement in comparison to TKs Nintendo support.
Ryu Hayabusa would be a good wildcard choice if it weren't for the fact about how gory and violent the Ninja Gaiden games are. I am not sure a character from DOA would work well either. However, theoretically, the will is certainly there from Tecmo-Koei (they have allowed so many Nintendo character cameos in their games, and even worked on various Nintendo properties themselves).

Will.

He would make so much freaking sense... Too bad he is nowhere near A-Star quality...
Will would be a good choice to take Snake's moveset as well. However, I doubt it would happen considering I doubt Sakurai even knows he exists considering Days of Ruin was never even released in Japan. The funny thing is that artwork for Days of Ruin was done by the character designer for King of Fighters.

Interesting point. It would be weird for Snake to come back for Smash 4 and not have him voiced by Hayter.

Let's lay out their more prominent franchises:

Pac-Man
Tekken
Tales of
Soul Calibur
Klonoa (sort of)

Do any of those series really offer anyone that scream "add me?" Not really. Of course there is also the Dragon Ball and Digimon games, but we all know why they don't qualify
Yeah I get that feeling too (that none of them look really appealing).

Pretty much. Plus I think Sakurai was also throwing that little comment out there for the random Resident Evil requests.
Truth be told, I think Leon's cheesiness would be kind of amusing in Smash Bros., however, I think any RE character would be even more out of place than Snake even due to how much more violent that series is compared to MGS (even though some titles like RE4 are synonymous with Nintendo consoles).

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The fact that Solid Snake has been completely removed from the Metal Gear Solid scene and is not relevant (the only time when it matters).
Again, pretty sure Kojima has confirmed that Solid Snake will be coming back in future instalments. In fact, I have a confirmation right here.

It's all about Big Boss, and there is no way Nintendo can afford Keifer Sutherland. Trust me, those little things do matter.
Do you have a source for Sutherland being confirmed as Snakes VA? I mean, besides the internet rumor mill?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Would be ****ing rad to have Jack Bauer in Sm4sh though.

I don't know if the videos floating around are fake or not, but if they're true, that's definitely Kiefer.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You're comparing apples to oranges. When it comes to third party franchises, these "small things" do matter. Which is why Sakurai has talked about the difficulty of including guest franchises into the series.
Well, you're kind of right.

But anyway, suppose that Snake is included in Smash 4. Who would hire the English actors for Smash? I think it would be Nintendo of America, who could hire David Hayter to do his voice.

And I also think that in the voice acting department, Nintendo has hired more known (to the video game and anime communities) VAs for KIU and FEA, two heavily promoted games. Considering Nintendo's story with voice acting, I think this is a positive aspect.

It would be foolish if Nintendo didn't advertise SSB4 like they did with KIU and FEA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom