• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
In terms of actually predicting what the playable characters will be, no.
Well that is bearable, but actual discussion itself is pretty stupid. I mean, there is a reason why people complain about Fire Emblem discussions around here.

Did you play FIre Emblem Awakening ? if you didn't make sure that Chrom has more personality and playstyle than Marth and Roy do....
That's a pretty subjective matter. I mean, I don't mind Chrom like most people, but I wouldn't exactly call him a unique snowflake.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Well that is bearable, but actual discussion itself is pretty stupid. I mean, there is a reason why people complain about Fire Emblem discussions around here.

That's a pretty subjective matter. I mean, I don't mind Chrom like most people, but I wouldn't exactly call him a unique snowflake.
Well my point is he is more unique then Marth and Roy, so for all those people who actually want Roy over Chrom and than they **** on Chrom for not being unique those are the people who we call "Hypocrites".....

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@Ike-Sama
You want to know why Chrom gets hate? It's primarily because people are afraid that his inclusion can lead to Ike and/or Roy not returning.
LOL Kinda like why some people feel threatened by new characters who are too similar to old characters?

Pre-Brawl
Ness > Lucas (because Sakurai originally planned to cut Ness for Lucas in Melee)
Young Link > Toon Link (because Wind Waker Link was the newest version of child Link)
Jigglypuff > any other Pokemon (since she's always on the cutting board)

Pre-SSB4
Ike > Chrom (because Ike replaced Roy)
Falco or Wolf > Krystal (because Landmasters!!!!)
Lucario > Zoroark (because Lucario replaced Mewtwo)
Marth > Lucina (since she's basically Marth with breasts and vagina; also because we apparently need more females)
Mewtwo > Mewthree (because it is now a plausible possibility :troll:)
Red > any other Pokemon Trainers (since we have the mentality that one trainer is enough and having two would be overrepping the franchise and cutting is frowned upon around here)
Sheik > Impa (because she has no concept art in Skyward Sword like she did in Twilight Princess)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well my point is he is more unique then Marth and Roy, so for all those people who actually want Roy over Chrom and than they **** on Chrom for not being unique those are the people who we call "Hypocrites".....
Chrom being more unique than Marth and Roy is pretty subjective.

Young Link > Toon Link (because Wind Waker Link was the newest version of child Link)
No way did Young Link have more support to return than Toon Link had support for being added in. A lot of Young Link fans were on the Toon Link bandwagon.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
No way did Young Link have more support to return than Toon Link had support for being added in. A lot of Young Link fans were on the Toon Link bandwagon.
I distinctly remember some people saying Toon Link won't get in Brawl because his art style clashed with Twilight Princess characters. Also some people were supporting the Princess of Furries Midna or Zant because they wouldn't be clones.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I distinctly remember some people saying Toon Link won't get in Brawl because his art style clashed with Twilight Princess characters. Also some people were supporting the Princess of Furries Midna or Zant because they wouldn't be clones.
Those were Midna (and sometimes Zant) supporters saying that. Otherwise, Toon Link made perfect sense to most people as the successor of Young Link. Midna supporters bashed Toon Link for this very reason as well (because they said he would only serve as a successor to Young Link, and thus be another clone, so he wouldn't get in). Well, looks like they were only half right. :troll:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think Ninten is a likely newcomer for Smash 4, since he's the only Mother character who hasn't got a playability status despite him being the first protagonist of the Mother series.

D

Deleted member

I can't understand the hate Chrom gets, his character is quite nice, he owns an awesome weapon, if you have any bit of brain in you (Of course Sakurai has a brain that's why he is developing the game not you) you will definitely put Chrom before Roy (hell I'm the ultimate Ike fan, I even think Chrom has the prio over Ike but still we are assuming 3 FE reps).

People will argue that Roy has immense popularity and all that ****, but he only garnered this popularity from SSBM (don't stop reading here continue). Now we are talking about Chrom the main character of the most popular Fire Emblem to date, what if he had a chance just like Roy and got put in SSB4 ? I'm pretty sure he will equally have the same popularity as Roy (maybe even more) after all we all know Ike is now more popular than Roy, why is that ? because people actually played his game, till now the only people who played Roy's game are only hardcore Fire Emblem fans and the Japan crowd.

So what are the most Logical and probable reps?

Marth and Chrom (2 reps)

Marth, Ike and Chrom (3 reps)

Marth, Ike, Chrom and Roy/(2nd Awakening rep) ( 4 reps)
Many people don't hate Chrom so much as they don't find him an interesting addition (due to him being relatively bland and sharing similarities with Marth and Ike).

It doesn't matter where Roy garnered his popularity from. What matters is that Roy is a popular character and that people like him.

Also, going by your logic, people could argue that Ike only got his popularity from Brawl considering that FE9 didn't sell well.

As for Chrom, we can't say for sure whenever or not Sakurai is interested in adding him. From what we've seen, he's not all that unique and Sakurai's four criteria does take into account uniqueness. Unless Sakurai sees something in him that makes him stand out (which is Chrom's main issue), Sakurai is not going to want to add Chrom.

But like I said, Chrom is more of a 50/50 character, although I have a hard time seeing him getting prioritized over Ike.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It wasn't just the art style clashing with the Twilight Princess characters, but the art style of Brawl as a whole. Which was stupid eitherway since we've gotten plenty of cartoony looking characters in smash before. Heck the likes of Lucas where just sprite characters before Brawl. At least Toon Link had a 3D model. Oh well, it seems that the Skyward Sword cast is suffering the same mentality as Toon Link did pre Brawl where people are super certain their going to stick with the Twilight Princess cast just because Skyward Sword's art style will "clash" with Smash's overall art style... >_>

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Those were Midna (and sometimes Zant) supporters saying that. Otherwise, Toon Link made perfect sense to most people as the successor of Young Link. Midna supporters bashed Toon Link for this very reason as well (because they said he would only serve as a successor to Young Link, and thus be another clone, so he wouldn't get in). Well, looks like they were only half right. :troll:
You know who else were half right?

Krystal fans and Sonic haters.

Krystal supporters said Wolf wouldn't get in because he would be a clone of Fox. Sonic detractors said Sonic shouldn't get in because all he does is spin. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Then we might as well say Wolf and Lucas are unique. After all, they do meet Sakurai's four criteria and they barley share any similarities with Fox and Ness respectively. They're nothing worse than slight clones.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
IMO, Toon Link plays a lot different from regular Link even though they have mostly similar movesets.

My favorite clones throughout Smash games are Toon Link, Lucas, Wolf, and Melee Ganondorf (but I love Brawl Ganondorf's side special). These are the kind of clones I like... Similar movesets but plays very differently.

If there are more clones in SSB4 and I have a strong feeling there will be more (whether I want them or not), then I hope they at least play very different from the original characters.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The pre-Brawl era was such a long time ago. Especially if we are talking about the time from 2002-2006 (up until the Brawl unveil). I think that era was a closer analogue to the situation we are in now than the pre-Brawl are from the time of the unveil to its Japanese release. However, unlike now, there were so many obvious characters to add. At this point, while there is definitely some characters we are excited for, most of them don't reach the level that Wario, Sonic, Meta Knight, King Dedede, and Diddy Kong had.

Each Smash Bros. game released so far has been an escalation over the previous one in both sales and hype. Seeing as how much discussion there has been for Smash 4 despite barely any details being known about it, I think the kind of craziness we will see after Smash 4's unveil and the first newcomers confirmed will be unprecedented. I think the reason why there is so much hype for a new Smash Bros. versus many other franchises, is that Smash Bros., for a franchise that sells as well as it does, only has one release per generation.

I am not just anxious for a likely Ridley confirmation, but also to see the new direction Sakurai will be taking Smash Bros. in light of less "all-star" newcomers this time around.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Ike-Sama
You want to know why Chrom gets hate? It's primarily because people are afraid that his inclusion can lead to Ike and/or Roy not returning.
Wouldn't say it's primarily because of that, Chrom himself was just plain dull as a character overall. His playstyle in game wasn't anything special either.

Marth was in multiple games so there was several more options for a moveset with him. Both Roy and Ike are incredibly flashy with their Flame Swords, Aether, and whatnot. The former characters themselves also had much better in-game stories and actual character development. FE13 was more about My Unit/Avatar than Chrom/Lucina/Lords in general, which resulted in a neutering of a lot of character development. Best Chrom's moveset ever gets his a spinning slash attack during a cut-scene or two.

That's not to say Chrom doesn't have his moments in the spotlight (eating bears and DLC Old Hubba conversations are pure gold :laugh:), that his popularity on things such as that Facebook poll doesn't exist, that his moveset couldn't be interesting, or that he wouldn't gain popularity from an appearance in Smash. There's just a lot of wasted potential coming from him and that he has yet to live up to his predecessors (though Lucina maybe could, back-story/boobs and whatnot).

Yeah I just read about that. THANK GOD it didn't get made, Bomberman: Act Zero maybe even Sonic 06 instantly pop in my head as well.

Should have just gotten behind Mega Man 8-Bit Deathmatch like they did with SFxMM instead.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think Ike-Sama dislikes anything that is Japan only.

Marth is still incredibly popular over here. Just look at all of the people who main Marth.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Oh no, another Fire Emblem discussion!!!!
I must find a way to change the topic before it gets out of hand.
Um.......
Er.......
Well.......
If SaP were to get a playable character in SSB4, would you guys prefer Saki or Isa.
(Close Save) :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Toon Link returns, he'll be Luigified a lot. And seeing as we will have Wind Waker HD, it's very likely they won't cut him.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i dont see any good reason for Toon Link to be cut esp with the HD remake coming. i personally wouldnt mind if he came back virtually unchanged cause he was still a great character. but it would be nice.

peeup

Smash Lord
Toon Link plays soooo differently from Link, I don't think its an issue.

Now its probably because I'm not well acquainted with the spacies or the spy (psy) kids, but all the spacies play very similar to me and the spy kids play very similar to me.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think the people bringing up Toon Link's art style were unsure of whether or not cel-shading could be done in Smash. Or maybe it was just a general complaint of it, I don't remember. Just pretty sure it was not necessarily so much the art style as it was the cel-shading. I DO REMEMBER HAVING TO POINT OUT IT HAD ALREADY BEEN DONE BEFORE IN SMASH.

Also, Toon Link got a lot of support from people wanting Young Link replaced. INTERESTINGLY, that kind of mindset is also where Paper Mario got a lot of support, as a replacement for Doc.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I supported both Midna and Wolf Link and Toon Link back in the day. But always felt Toon Link was more likely.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't see Young Link as likely at all. Toon Link stands a much better chance imo.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I play Toon Link a lot. I rarely play Link, but when I do, I unconsciously do techniques/habits that I would use on Toon Link...and it doesn't translate well on Link haha.

Back in the day I didn't really support anyone. But now I'm srs!

volbound1700

Smash Master
There maybe some minor move chances but I don't expect much to change with either Links and we will still get both. Adult Link may get SS makeover.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I play Toon Link a lot. I rarely play Link, but when I do, I unconsciously do techniques/habits that I would use on Toon Link...and it doesn't translate well on Link haha.
Reminds me of the situation whenever I jump from Marth to Roy every blue moon. Why the hell I do this is beyond me, maybe I get bored of Marth or something.

Also slightly unrelated, but I've been playing Captain Falcon a lot lately.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
There maybe some minor move chances but I don't expect much to change with either Links and we will still get both. Adult Link may get SS makeover.
Depends on what you mean by changes. Link and the rest of Hyrule Tier need a lot of changes. Link's attacks in particular need to be faster and just sync together over all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom