• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

@ManlySpirit: Most of us are aware that third-parties might not happen. I don't think we will lose them this game, but I am prepared for the possibility.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
I don't see how they're equal, since they both came indifferent ways

The only way in which both can be removed for the same reason is if Sakurai decides not to put both in is because they're guest characters.

yani

Smash Lord
No.

There are about a billion third party characters that are about a billion times more likely to be in Smash than Bayonetta.

But dude, Bayonetta 2 was a Wii U exclusive!

Well gee golly you're right. Just like how Sonic's and Snake's most recent game were Nintendo exclusives!

But dude, it would appeal to older gamers!

Well gee golly you're right again. All those games that teach spelling and counting should also put in hyper sexualized female characters that slice people apart and blow people's brains out, that would appeal to older gamers as well.

But dude, she's hugely popular!

Well gee golly when you're right you're right. Her popularity puts to shame the popularity of such nobodies as Pac-Man, MegaMan, Geno, Simon Belmont, Rayman, Bomberman, Sora, Token Final Fantasy character, Second Sonic character, Agumon(??)

Basically Bayonetta won't be in Smash.
This is probably one of the worst posts I've ever seen in this thread.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If Snake goes, Sonic goes.

Snake was added in as a favor to a friend. If Sakurai removed Snake and kept the other guest character (Sonic), Kojima would be deeply hurt. Sakurai would destroy the friendship if he pulled a **** move like that.

This is assuming that Kojima still wants Snake in smash. I assume he does. There is no evidence to support otherwise.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Snake was added in as a favor to a friend. If Sakurai removed Snake and kept the other guest character (Sonic), Kojima would be deeply hurt. Sakurai would destroy the friendship if he pulled a **** move like that.

This is assuming that Kojima still wants Snake in smash. I assume he does. There is no evidence to support otherwise.
I don't see any reason to believe they are mutually exclusive

D

Deleted member

Not if Kojima would be fine with the removal. I'd imagine that both Sakurai and Kojima would want Snake back as well, but we can't be sure whenever or not both want Snake back in Smash. For all we know, Kojima may not care anymore and Sakurai may feel as Snake doesn't need to come back.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't see any reason to believe they are mutually exclusive
Say what now?

Not if Kojima would be fine with the removal. I'd imagine that both Sakurai and Kojima would want Snake back as well, but we can't be sure whenever or not both want Snake back in Smash. For all we know, Kojima may not care anymore and Sakurai may feel as Snake doesn't need to come back.
I addressed that....

D

Deleted member

I don't see how they're equal, since they both came indifferent ways

The only way in which both can be removed for the same reason is if Sakurai decides not to put both in is because they're guest characters.
They're equal because both are guests and not Nintendo characters.

It doesn't matter if they got in differently, in the end, both stand on the same ground.

People like to give Sonic special treatment because he's a fan-favorite, and got in by popular request, but those people need to take off their rose colored glasses and see that Sonic is no different from Snake. If Sega played a huge role in the development of this game, then yeah, but they don't and thus, Sonic has no special rights to return, regardless of what fans may want or not.'

Hell, even IF Sega helped make the game, keep in mind that he's nowhere to be seen in other crossover titles where Sega helped the development such as Project X Zone.

Despite the fact that fans have helped shape the game, the fact remains that the fans don't make the game, the devs do. If this wasn't true, then we'd be seeing the likes of Naruto in Smash...

shudders*

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Say what now?

I addressed that....
mutually exclusive means their appearance in the next game is dependent on each other...which is what you said.

Which there is no reason to assume that

D

Deleted member

@ManlySpirit: There has been only one game in which we have had third-parties. We don't know what's going to happen with previous guests and we can't say for sure that because they are guest that they will get removed.

Not that I would throw a fit over their removal, but we shouldn't rule them out for returning yet.

D

Deleted member

@ManlySpirit: There has been only one game in which we have had third-parties. We don't know what's going to happen with previous guests and we can't say for sure that because they are guest that they will get removed.

Not that I would throw a fit over their removal, but we shouldn't rule them out for returning yet.
I agree, there is a possibility they may return, we don't know what Nintendo may be thinking. But lets be realistic here, that possibility is very slim.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
We don't know if they're guests yet, that's my point, and based on sakurai's comments about them, I say it's a little more likely.

D

Deleted member

We don't know if they're guests yet, that's my point.
How do you not know?

They aren't Nintendo characters, they don't deserve a permanent spot.

Unless you wanna argue that they will show up in every Smash game since Brawl, which I highly doubt.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I think Soul Calibur is enough of an example of how to handle Sonic & Snake.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Even if Snake and Sonic reappear in Smash 4, who's to say they are here to stay? They could be removed for an eventual Smash 5.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I think Soul Calibur is enough of an indication of how to handle Guest characters.
Well now though Soul Calibur's guests don't mean anything to the franchise. Obviously Darth Vader or Ezio are a one shot, but Sonic in Smash makes perfect sense to stay as long as he can. And even Snake, a little bit less though imho.

D

Deleted member

Even if Snake and Sonic reappear in Smash 4, who's to say they are here to stay? They could be removed for an eventual Smash 5.
But why should Smash 4 be any different from Smash 5?

In fact, if you keep them in 4, people are more likely to expect them to return for 5.

If they're gonna go, they're gonna go now. Most people accept that they aren't part of the official Smash Bros roster, but for some reason wanna argue that they should return for this next game. It IS possible, as anything is possible, but like I said, the chance is VERY slim. Cutting them in 4 and cutting them in 5 makes no difference at all if you think about it. Cutting them in 4 is more logical than in 5.

Well now though Soul Calibur's guests don't mean anything to the franchise. Obviously Darth Vader or Ezio are a one shot, but Sonic in Smash makes perfect sense to stay as long as he can. And even Snake, a little bit less though imho.
But why?

Because of Nintendo's history with Sega? Because of their current allegiance with them?

Lemme break it to you, but there is no "allegience" it's just business. If Nintendo doesn't want Sonic back for whatever reason, he ain't coming back, and considering they previous reception toward 3rd party characters it seems likely to me.

2nd, if Sega were to choose, there is no guarantee they'd go with Sonic every time. Before you argue against this, go look at the roster for Project X Zone.

3rd, a lot of the deals Namco made with other companies for their characters, aren't that different from the ones Nintendo did with Sega and Konami. Really, tell me how Link in SC2 is different from Snake or Sonic?

Sonic got in by popular demand, but that doesn't guarantee his return. In fact, fans should be thankful that Nintendo fullfilled their wish of having Sonic in Smash, not many companies listen to their fans as much...

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I don't think Sonic and Snake'll be cut entirely from the game. If I had to guess, my money'll be on those characters being Assist Trophies, or referenced in miscellaneous sticker/trophy unlocks.

Who knows?

Smooth Criminal

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't say the chances of them returning are slim, more like 50/50

It could easily go either way
I used to think 50/50 a couple months back, but the more I think about it, the more it feels like 80/20 or even 95/5 for their exclusion.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't think Sonic and Snake'll be cut entirely from the game. If I had to guess, my money'll be on those characters being Assist Trophies, or referenced in miscellaneous sticker/trophy unlocks.
It seems extremely foolish for them to go through all the legal troubles only for an assist trophy or sticker.

bobadz

Smash Ace

Who knows?

Smooth Criminal
Why include them at all then.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep

Who knows?

Smooth Criminal
Out of all the theories though this is the one which makes less sense.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You know Manly you're right, if Megaman doesn't get in I want it to return to just being 'Nintendo all-stars'.
And then people will whine and complain about who qualifies as a Nintendo All-Star.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, have people considered the possiblity that we might not have ANY 3rd parties at all?
I am one of those people that would see this possibility, considering the whole concept of Super Smash Bros. being a Nintendo crossover by heart. But of course we have no idea on what's going on, so who knows. Personally as much as I do like Snake and Sonic, I wouldn't mind them leaving and we don't get "substitutes".

And then people will whine and complain about who qualifies as a Nintendo All-Star.
That has been happening since Smash 64 with Ness, so it's a generally subjective topic.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I recall Snake's codec about Mario where the colonel mentioned to him that "this is a once in a lifetime chance" where he could battle with Mario in the same game. Maybe it means nothing, but maybe it means that Sakurai isn't intending to keep third party reps for more than one game perhaps? :/

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I recall Snake's codec about Mario where the colonel mentioned to him that "this is a once in a lifetime chance" where he could battle with Mario in the same game. Maybe it means nothing, but maybe it means that Sakurai isn't intending to keep third party reps for more than one game perhaps? :/
We're really starving of new infos, aren't we?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Don't turn this into an "until now" or "DEH CLOUDS" type of thing.

I think you're over analyzing that line.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I think you're reading too much into it.

Snake/Sonic being cut is definitely a possibility. How much of a possibility is impossible to tell, because we don't know what Sakurai's thoughts on them are.ne for me

Don't turn this into [a] ... "DEH CLOUDS" type of thing.
You're gonna have to explain that one to me.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Nah, let's over analyze every mundane statement and use it as proof that something is going to happen. It will surely work, I swear to crack!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well despite that codec was also in the "Snake joins the Brawl" trailer I wouldnt find it too far fetched if Sakurai was trying to give us a message but okay. I think I'm kinda causing a little stirr now... My apologies. :/

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Couldn't care less of Batman.
The crossover looks cool though.

Well despite that codec was also in the "Snake joins the Brawl" trailer I wouldnt find it too far fetched if Sakurai was trying to give us a message but okay. I think I'm kinda causing a little stirr now... My apologies. :/
I was just joking, but I don't really think that means anything. And even if it did, it's been 6 years. People change their mind, a lot. I think the only meaningful things Sakurai said are from two months ago tops. Who knows maybe Kojima hated tripping and now he doesn't want to see Snake in Sm4sh at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom