• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I just think that since Sakurai put Wolf in during the last minute, he wants to add one Star Fox character per game. Plus, Miyamoto does want a Star Fox game for the Wii U. Now, Kirby is the fourth largest Nintendo franchise after Mario, Zelda and Pokemon.

Plus Bandana Dee, Krystal and Samurai Goroh each are wanted in not only because they are recognizable but also because they each can have a unique fighting style. Spear, Staff and Katana perspectively
I can see why you think that, but it's not true. Falco got into Melee on a whim. He was a late addition himself, and only because Sakurai wanted to beef up the roster. It's almost the same situation with Wolf, but Wolf was a somewhat popular Star Fox character, and why not add another one if there is room? There is no rule saying that we need one every game... that's just how it has happened so far. It doesn't have to continue.

Bandana Dee is indeed the most popular Kirby character, but there are very VERY few Kirby characters that are highly requested as compared to others. Don't expect Bandana Dee.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Seriously, people that want Krystal are just doing it for the fanservice. You can't even deny it, as that is the only redeeming characteristic she ever had in any game. Even all playable times as Krystal were absolutely rubbish in some way, like being too brief in Star Fox Adventures or being far too weak in Star Fox Assault.

Seriously, can someone out there tell me the appeal of a character that is incredibly pointless aside from whoring out when ever possible?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think Toise's theory that Star Fox got lucky twice in terms of getting a newcomer in Melee and Brawl is the the best one out there. The Star Fox series was basically absent this generation. I would say Bandanna Dee is definitely on the same level as Krystal in terms of likliness, especially considering how Bandanna Dee has been promoted as a major character for the Kirby franchise for its 20th anniversary. In many ways I consider Bandanna Dee to be the Kirby franchise's Krystal.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I agree with you on other reps. However I see it that Yoshi is a mario spin-off. Much like Wario. So right there is a second for Yoshi9Mario Spin-offs). Just how I see it.

However, I doubt kirby will get a rep because we already have the big 3 with no big fourth rep, just a bunch of minor kirby characters. Krystal I udnerstand, but they don't deserve another rep. 3 for 5 games is already ridiculous. If tehy get a fourth rep, it would pretty much mean mario should get 92+ characters.
Based off of This with the 4 chars per 5 games.
I agree that Kirby isn't likely to get a new rep because we have the triumvirate in and neither are Wario or Yoshi.The thing is though, Mario really only has 3 more main reps to get in(Toad, Junior & Waluigi). And we all can agree that Krystal will be the last rep for Star Fox.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
The yoshi series is the only series from the orginal without a second rep in Smash 4.

Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser (plus maybe Toad or Bowser Jr)
Dk, Diddy (plus either K Rool or Dixie)
Yoshi
Link, Zelda/ Sheik, Gannondorf, Toon Link (with any newcomer if any)
Samus (with Ridley)
Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede (plus maybe Bandana Dee)
Fox, Falco, Wolf (maybe Krystal)
Captain Falcon (either S. Goroh or B. Shadow)
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer (plus others)
Ness, Lucas (plus newcomer if any)
Yes I know all the possible reps for the original series. Yoshi doesn't have a character that warrants being playable.
There's Kamek, the villain, but it normally turns out to be baby bowser or even bowser in the end.
Baby Bros. but we never really see them together.
Those are the ones i see as likely, but theyre nowhere near as big as anyone who isn't already in smash or are among the characters who are highly expected.
So I think that Wario works as another Mario spin-off because Wario is in the same boat.
He's got Captain Syrup (rival/villain), and Ashley (popular warioware character?).
Neither of which of much warrant. Captain Syrup might later, but not now.
Yes, Yoshi needs another rep, but he's not going to get another one anytime soon.

Also, Bandana Dee is an important characetr in the Kirby series. He was
  • Was an opponent in Megaton Punch inKirby Super Star
  • He appeared a boss in Kirby Super star Ultra's Revenge of the king
  • He made a cameo in Kirby Mass Attack in Strati Patrol EOS
  • And he was a 4th player in return to dreamland
For example I'll say a few characters similar:
Birdo:
  • Was a boss in SMB2, a robotic version in SMA, SMRPG, and partner boss in M&L:SSS
  • Ally in Wario's Woods
  • Multiple appearances in mario sports and racing games
  • Person in Captain Rainbow

Just because a character has appeared multiple times, does not mean they warrant a spot. Characters in Super Smash should be all stars of their respective series. Kirby MK and DDD all are All Stars that the kirby series feel incomplete without those three. If a new game comes out is Bandana Dee necessary? Would he be universally missed? If he wasn't tehre would the entire feel of a kirby game be gone?
in order for my opinion:
no not really
maybe by a few
no, it would still be a kirby game

He's not that influential to the series either. His spot would go better to actual all stars of the series.

And does Mother deserve two rep for only two games. Star Fox is a recognizable game franchise in Nintendo's history. During its 5 games, it has made over 11.5 million copies sold. Each game on average has a similar amount of copies sold to each Mario game.
No it really doesn't. They only deserve one, but they won't go removing Ness or Lucas now. People would panic.
Yeah so is Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, Punch Out!!, and the Wars franchise. All these series can easily compare to Star Fox, and Punch Out!! and Wars haven't even gotten a representative yet. They may not have as unique characters as Star Fox. But a fourth rep should be reserved for the biggest of franchises. (mario, zelda, pokemon)

Seriously, people that want Krystal are just doing it for the fanservice. You can't even deny it, as that is the only redeeming characteristic she ever had in any game. Even all playable times as Krystal were absolutely rubbish in some way, like being too brief in Star Fox Adventures or being far too weak in Star Fox Assault.

Seriously, can someone out there tell me the appeal of a character that is incredibly pointless aside from whoring out when ever possible?
The fourth major star fox rep. Very original. She's from a dinosaur planet and uses a staff and magic to fight. No other star fox rep has those abilities. Considering sex isn't a part of any Star Fox game (besides some characters having children later) that's a rather improper thing to say about a rather unique character.
(Still think she shouldn't get in though, not yet.)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm gonna have to weigh inon all this Bandana Dee talk. While I fully support him for Smash and would go nuts if he were playable, I don't think he's terribly likely. Kirby has more than adequate representation right now, and character slots should go to series that don't have the representation they deserve(*cough* Fire Emblem *cough* F-Zero *cough*). He's also only become popular recently, and I think it'll take a while for him to become super important to the series.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he got in as an Assist Trophy.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If K. Rool and Dixie Kong did not drop off the face of the earth since Brawl's release, I would say Donkey Kong would have been the most likely candidate to reach four playable characters (outside of the Big 3) for Smash 4. I don't consider it unlikely for DK to stay with only Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong.

If Sakurai was not so self-conscious about over-repping Kirby, I would say Bandanna Dee has a really good shot at getting in. I would say the best thing going for Krystal right now is probably that Namco (whom is developing Smash 4) was also the developer of Star Fox Assault. Likewise, Namco also developed the last game to which both K. Rool and Dixie Kong made an appearance, Mario Super Sluggers. However, its important to keep in mind that its Sakurai's call as far as the roster goes.

D

Deleted member

"4th Major StarFox rep". So suddenly Slippy doesn't exist, despite being in every game, and being the one to analyze bosses' health meters.
Also is the one that maintains the vehicles and designs the weapons and tech.

All that doesn't matter since Krystal has a magic stick that supposedly makes her completely unique.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
If K. Rool and Dixie Kong did not drop off the face of the earth since Brawl's release, I would say Donkey Kong would have been the most likely candidate to reach four playable characters (outside of the Big 3) for Smash 4. I don't consider it unlikely for DK to stay with only Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong.

If Sakurai was not so self-conscious about over-repping Kirby, I would say Bandanna Dee has a really good shot at getting in. I would say the best thing going for Krystal right now is probably that Namco (whom is developing Smash 4) was also the developer of Star Fox Assault. Likewise, Namco also developed the last game to which both K. Rool and Dixie Kong made an appearance, Mario Super Sluggers. However, its important to keep in mind that its Sakurai's call as far as the roster goes.
Donkey Kong would certainly be the next game to get 4 reps with K. Rool and Dixie being such big Nintendo characters. I only see one of them getting in though. if both get in I won't complain

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
"4th Major StarFox rep". So suddenly Slippy doesn't exist, despite being in every game, and being the one to analyze bosses' health meters.
Also is the one that maintains the vehicles and designs the weapons and tech.

All that doesn't matter since Krystal has a magic stick that supposedly makes her completely unique.
Most of Krystal's popularity is Western (Slippy is the next in line in Japan after Fox, Falco, Wolf). It remains to be seen whether Western popularity will be enough to get the likes of Ridley and Little Mac in.

However, I think Sakurai is primarily eyeing Palutena as his new "sexy female newcomer". Sakurai has pretty much admitted in a recent interview that he is attached to the character as well.

Really, this Smash Bros. game is probably the most difficult in terms of predicting yet, because there is absolutely no shoe-ins this time, and even some of the most requested characters can easily be excluded for a multitude of reasons.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer

Well, she would not only be a unique character in te Star Fox characters but with the entire roster if she uses her staff. Now, the whole whoring out thing isn't a real excuse. Zero Suit Samus.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

@Chrono: I was trolling.

@SmasherMaster: How many times do I have to explain that having the staff isn't necessarily going to make her unique? Even WITH the staff, she can easily be another Falco/Wolf.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
But, then at least we know then every StarFox character will be a Fox semi-clone. (Well maybe except for Andross.)

If any StarFox character wouldn't be a Falco/Wolf, it would be Krystal. Here are some movesets I found online:

http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-/60267253

Is that another Fox/Falco/Wolf clone/semi-clone? Plus if they make Krystal a clone, then why add her? Falco is faster, Wolf is more powerful and Fox is all around? What will Krystal be then?

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
@SmasherMaster: How many times do I have to explain that having the staff isn't necessarily going to make her unique? Even WITH the staff, she can easily be another Falco/Wolf.
I feel like she's known more for her staff.
But so many character could be made clones.
Paper Mario, Bowser Jr., Dixie, Toon Zelda, Dark Samus, Ridley(of Charizard), Black Shadow, Megaman(of Samus), Roy, Krom, Ninten, all the new series sword users of some sword user in Brawl

Just because they can be a clone doesn't mean they will be. I have personally never heard the idea of Krystal being a clone. Doesn't seem likely for her to be a clone

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't get the problem with clones. Clones can be made to play very different than their original counterpart, and still become one of the most popular additions to the roster despite being a clone. Really, the problem people have with clones is that they somehow think that character's addition bumped out an original character being added to that franchise, when it was really a matter of that clone character being added or no newcomer for that series being added at all.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't get the problem with clones. Clones can be made to play very different than their original counterpart, and still become one of the most popular additions to the roster despite being a clone. Really, the problem people have with clones is that they somehow think that character's addition bumped out an original character being added to that franchise, when it was really a matter of that clone character being added or no newcomer for that series being added at all.
THANK YOU. I will never understand why so many people have such a big problem with clones.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
This guy right here.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
@Venus Of The Desert Bloom
Nana, Palutena, Peach, Zelda, Toadette, Rosalina, Daisy, Samus and every other female character has fanservice

@shinpichu
People would rather have a unique moveset for a character. I hate Waluigi but if all of the other newcomers are clones, I would play as Waluigi!

In most fighting games, a lot of characters have something unique about them. For Pokemon Trainer, it's the fact that you are able to switch from te fast Squirtle, the all around Ivysaur and the powerhouse Charizard. If they made a character a clon, it takes away the obey al character's originality and the clone seems like they were just jammed in and wasn't even given any thought.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Nana, Palutena, Peach, Zelda, Toadette, Rosalina, Daisy, Samus and every other female character has fanservice
Really? Nana?

Whatever does it for you, I guess.

@shinpichu
People would rather have a unique moveset for a character. I hate Waluigi but if all of the other newcomers are clones, I would play as Waluigi!

In most fighting games, a lot of characters have something unique about them. For Pokemon Trainer, it's the fact that you are able to switch from te fast Squirtle, the all around Ivysaur and the powerhouse Charizard. If they made a character a clon, it takes away the obey al character's originality and the clone seems like they were just jammed in and wasn't even given any thought.
Clones can actually be very unique. Take Link and Toon Link. They share similar animations, but one is slow and semi-powerful while the other is quick, light, and nimble. I love playing as Toon Link, but I can't stand playing as Link.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
That is why, in the Melee Misc. records, the game recognizes a total of 26 characters rather than 25 (there are 25 slots, but 26 characters).
Brawl says 35. Check the records

Well said. I think people just have this illusion that every character should be different.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
ummm.....no. Most of the girls you posted don't have fanservice and sexual appeal as their selling point. It's like saying any girls is in for fan service which is an actual disservice to most female game characters.

I am singling out Krystal because she was made and designed to have sex appeal as one of her foremost attributes. The same goes with Zero Suit Samus as well. One of her major selling points is her sex appeal.

Plus you asked what Krystal would be if she was a fox semi-clone/clone and I answered. Just fan service.

As for clones, I have nothing against clones since they can be unique in their own way. My biggest grudge with them if when they take a character, like Ganondorf, and give him a cloned move set when he could easily have his own unique Ganondorf-only moveset. I understand why characters such as Pichu, Luigi, Falco, Roy, etc have cloned move sets.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I am okay with cloned character a little bit but I don't want characters with the same moveset. Fox, Falco, and Wolf do not need the same Final Smash.

Fox should use the Landmaster.
Falco should fly on his airwing and fire at people like Snake's except that Falco, has rapid fire.
Wolf can use Andross who just shows up and acts like a sore loser when they lose chess. Swipe their hand across their stage.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Brawl says 35. Check the records

Well said. I think people just have this illusion that every character should be different.
Transformations count(not FS transformations). Anyone who believes otherwise does not usually know what they are talking about.

D

Deleted member

While Brawl itself may say 35 (as that's the number of slots selectable), Sakurai says 39, as that's the number of controllable fighters (sans Giga Bowser and Wario-Man).

JPW

Smash Ace
Really? Nana?

Whatever does it for you, I guess.

Clones can actually be very unique. Take Link and Toon Link. They share similar animations, but one is slow and semi-powerful while the other is quick, light, and nimble. I love playing as Toon Link, but I can't stand playing as Link.
come on Nana's not all that bad.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Jokes are not allowed on the internet. All joking shall be condemned and you'll be punished with the tickling of a thousand feathers.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So, I managed to convince Cleverbot that Goroh was a good choice for SSB4. Mission complete.

Conversation below for Proof.

NOTE: At first, he answered "AI needs to be good" when asked whether or not Goroh should be in.

[COLLAPSE="The Awesome and Enlightening Conversation"]
18:41:37 User: If his AI was good, would you want him?
18:41:38 Cleverbot: That wasn't me.
18:41:52 User: Do. You. Want. Samurai Goroh?
18:41:53 Cleverbot: Jack sparrow.
18:42:04 User: He's 4th Party.
18:42:12 Cleverbot: You're a liar.
18:42:35 User: Nope. That's for the Impossible Thread. Now, have you changed your mind on Goroh?
18:42:40 Cleverbot: No.
18:42:48 User: Why not?
18:42:50 Cleverbot: Why would you want me to.
18:43:08 User: Because he's a cool samurai who doesn't afraid of anything.
18:43:12 Cleverbot: You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
18:43:25 User: Don't pull that **** on me...
18:43:29 Cleverbot: Ok fine don't get mad just trying to lighten up the mood a bit.
18:43:42 User: Fine. Do you want Goroh?
18:43:45 Cleverbot: Not really, I have a boyfriend you know.
18:43:54 User: I meant in SSB4.
18:44:00 Cleverbot: That's great that you're a robot of your word.
18:44:10 User: So is that a yes?
18:44:16 Cleverbot: No.
18:44:26 User: Are you joking?
18:44:30 Cleverbot: No.
18:44:43 User: Are you joking now?
18:44:46 Cleverbot: No, are you female?
18:46:03 User: Nope. So how about Isaac? Should he be in SSB4?
18:46:05 Cleverbot: No, he should be repeached.
18:46:13 User: ?
18:46:14 Cleverbot: Yes.
18:46:24 User: Ah. How about Toad?
18:46:35 Cleverbot: You are not.
18:46:51 User: No, I mean, should Toad be in SSB4?
18:46:55 Cleverbot: No.
18:47:00 User: Why not?
18:47:02 Cleverbot: Should I play halo 3 odst?
18:47:24 User: I won't answer that until you answer me.
18:47:31 Cleverbot: Yes.
18:47:39 User: Okay. How about Goroh?
18:47:44 Cleverbot: You are not girl.
18:47:57 User: I know. Now, should Samurai Goroh be in SSB4?
18:48:01 Cleverbot: No.
18:48:04 User: Why not?
18:48:06 Cleverbot: It just is.
18:48:20 User: So he should be in SSB4, correct?
18:48:21 Cleverbot: I cannot be incorrect, if the qualifier 'maybe' signifies a possibility. Therefore I am neither correct, nor incorrect.
18:48:37 User: So Goroh should be in?
18:48:39 Cleverbot: Not having Dr. Pepper is a rare privilege, so yes, you should be proud.
18:48:48 User: So yes?
18:48:49 Cleverbot: Yes.
[/COLLAPSE]

...I hate having to stay home sick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom