• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Just imagine the reaction of non-EarthBound fans if they see this guy in the roster:

Is it just me, or are his pants lopsided?

And I agree, a 3rd Mother character is extremely unlikely. Though I think Ninten's scarf could be an alt. costume for Ness.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
You mean 2 weeks? The "reveal" or whatever is supposed to happen on the 31st, right?
Thought it was the 21st, the 14th anniversary of Smash. Either way I'm too lazy to dig something BS like that up, even if I'm teasing.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I can guarantee that this place will go down the crap hole once we finally learn about stuff. Like so many users appear on this very site and it causes the servers to commit suicide.
I'm guessing it will be at least a day before we can actually return to the site to discuss Ridley/Little Mac/Megaman's reveals, since the site will just be swirling around the toilet bowl for at least that long due to the flood of new users.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I can guarantee that this place will go down the crap hole once we finally learn about stuff. Like so many users appear on this very site to the point of causing the servers to commit suicide.
I'd say it already started to go that way back when the this forum opened up, I pray we get some more good and active mods like Mario_Sonic when that day comes.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Smash bros pipe dream edition: Eevee and Sora. Who would you guys pick?
Eevee would be a good Pokeball Pokemon, especially if when we get that new Eeveelution. It would appear and evolve into one of its evolution and do some elemental attack. I'm sure I'm not the first that's thought of that, but I'm surprised it hasn't been implemented yet, considering Eevee has always been fairly popular.

Sora would be interesting to play as I guess. He's not my pipe dream though.

[COLLAPSE="My pipe dream."]
[/COLLAPSE]
:awesome:

And yeah, the site will be basically swamped and inaccessible after the trailer. It won't bother me though, I'll still be too busy watching it over and over and freaking out each time. ;):laugh:

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I was a member here before, atleast 3 times, but I kept losing my login. I was a member when brawl came out I remember that;

:phone:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'll just take a vacation if or when that many new users come up.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
As long as the noob users aren't completely stupid and start coming up with ridiculous conclusions, it might not be that bad. However, the amount of dumb*** threads that are going to pop up will be...frightening.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The users will migrate from Gamespot, IGN, and GameFAQs.

...Alright, now let that sink in for a second and take a deep breath.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

The boards merged for Gamespot and GameFAQs a long time ago. That is how GameFAQs got even dumber. However, IGN is probably the worst of all. I am not sure if even a dedicated Smash Bros. board still exists for IGN. SmashBoards and GameFAQs are pretty much the only active Smash Bros. speculation communities left.

During pre-Brawl, in addition to GameFAQs and SmashBoards, you had NSider and IGN. I kind of miss Nsider.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The boards merged for Gamespot and GameFAQs a long time ago. That is how GameFAQs got even dumber. However, IGN is probably the worst of all. I am not sure if even a dedicated Smash Bros. board still exists for IGN. SmashBoards and GameFAQs are pretty much the only active Smash Bros. speculation communities left.

During pre-Brawl, in addition to GameFAQs and SmashBoards, you had NSider and IGN. I kind of miss Nsider.
Nsider was at least better than the ****hole Nsider 2 became after the numerous power struggles and whatnot.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I honestly paid more attention to Nsider pre-Brawl than I did here, I can't remember why I ended up getting an account here rather than there. lol

However, the amount of dumb*** threads that are going to pop up will be...frightening.
Oops too late... :/

Anyone else think it would be a good idea to make a thread that acts as a repository for all the existing character supposrt threads? Seems it might help cut down on the duplicate threads a little bit.
Hasn't worked so far.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I never said the Mario content was devoid of representation from the non-platformer series, just that the platformer series content made up the majority of it. You're right in that Smash never made a distinction between Mario sub-series (except with the music), but the fact that excluding collectible stuff such as trophies and stickers (which I should've mentioned before), the vast majority of content is from the "Super Mario" series, not Mario Party, not the RPGs, not Mario Kart (though some is from Mario Kart). Look at the Mario stages in Smash: one from the "Mario Kart" sub-series, one from the Mario arcade games, one from the "Luigi's Mansion" sub-series, and eight from the "platformer" series. 2/3 of the ATs are from the "platformer" series while the other is Waluigi. 14/23 Mario songs in Brawl are from the "platformer" series while the others are divided between other sub-series, with only three not from the platformer or Mario Kart series. Again, I'm not saying there isn't any content from the other Mario sub-series (I'm not quite sure where you inferred that from), just that in Smash, the "Super Mario" series has made up, and will almost guaranteed continue to make up, the majority of the Mario content.
Ah, now I get ya. Although we did get a MK course recently, so...

So... yeah, Waluigi made it in over Daisy most likely because he is more popular and possibly because Sakurai thought either he had more to work with, or Daisy didn't have enough to work with, or because Daisy is already one of Peach's colours. As for Kamek... in Smash he'd probably be part of the Yoshi series... so those two aren't really as comparable. Again, I never said Sakurai didn't use content from non-platforming Mario series, just that the platforming content makes up the majority.
Eh, Waluigi has more personality, so Sakurai probably finds him cooler. Really, Daisy started off as a literal expy of Peach, and hasn't done anything noteworthy since her one and only appearance. Not that Waluigi is very noteworthy, of course, but his two key appearances are a bit better than that.

Yeah, Sakurai takes from any source he finds merit in, I never said anything in opposition to that, but as the Mario platformers are the most prominent and by and large the most popular aspect of the series, he primarily takes from that. I never said he didn't, or couldn't, or hasn't taken from other Mario sub-series, just that that content is the comparative minority, which it is.
Actually, just the most prominent. I wouldn't say most popular at all. I know quite a few people who only like the Kart/Party games and hate the main series.

I'd agree they have around the same level of importance, though Daisy has appeared in more of the Mario series than Waluigi has (if only due to SML), and was chosen as the Double Dash character for Mario Kart 7 over Waluigi. They also both regularly appear in most spin-offs (or I guess Mario spin-offs don't exist, because there isn't a main Mario series :rolleyes:). In reality, neither is too important, but Waluigi does have a great deal more popularity than Daisy. And again, you've taken me out of context. I only gave Waluigi a 1/10 based solely on his role in the storyline of the collective Mario series (all of them), which I also said was a poor way to measure importance. I never said or thought that his actual importance was 1/10. I actually agreed with the score Frostwraith gave him (I think it was a 5?), I just disagreed with Frostwraith's apparent logic behind how he scored him, and said by that logic he should've been much lower.
At most, their important appearances are about equal. Numbers of appearances doesn't spell out importance to me. I consider Ganondorf barely important to Twilight Princess at all, for instance. However, Wind Waker and OOT, he was beyond key.

Being a major villain in two games doesn't equate to a major villain in the entire series though.
Actually, considering no other villains beyond Kamek, Bowser, and Bowser Jr. span multiple games, he's up there as one of the major villains. Everybody else has one game max. He is a major villain in two games, which nobody beyond those can even brag about it. So he does have some importance.

Yeah, although I don't really support him and wouldn't really advocate for him either, unlike most westerners I don't hate Tingle, and would be fine with his inclusion in Smash. I think he merits it more than any other currently non-playable Zelda character.
I'd like to see Waluigi in, but I actually do agree with this. Toad should be in well before Waluigi, same with Dr. Mario coming back and Paper Mario. Then him(for regular Mario characters, or Mario himself) Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario(with or without the Shadow part) is hard to say. I guess he could go before Paper Mario, though.

Tingle definitely has the most merits that barely any characters not called Ganon(dorf), Link, and Zelda/Sheik can muster. He's also the first character to star in his own game that isn't Link and that is actually made by Nintendo/official sources.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
The best thing about Jan 31st is that even though the Nintendo Direct is most likly fake. We will have only 4 more months left

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am curious whether IGN's Smash Bros. board still exists. Its interesting how GameFAQs and SmashBoards are the only two active Smash Bros. speculation communities left.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It may or may not, but if IGN's forums are as bad as their reviews are, then not many would dare go there to find out.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Thought it was the 21st, the 14th anniversary of Smash. Either way I'm too lazy to dig something BS like that up, even if I'm teasing.
Actually, fake leaker said 31th because it will be 5 years anniversary of SSBB's Japanese release.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Making it more noticeable will not work. It's like trying to make people read the video descriptions on Youtube.
Or read a sign that clearly says that the door is not an exit. People hate reading.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm honestly surprised that there aren't any support threads for anime characters once in awhile. Those always give me a good chuckle. As far as clutter threads are concerned anyway

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Actually, fake leaker said 31th because it will be 5 years anniversary of SSBB's Japanese release.
Not the date I would have chosen but whatever. Anyway I'd bet the speculation community here on SWF could come with a better "leak" than these nobodies on these other sites.

Dem damn goku supporters
They've migrated to Screwattack in recent days.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This also occurred to me in the Gen 6 Pokemon thread.

If Mewtwo was planned for SSB64, and intended for Brawl (alongside Lucario) then there really isn't any reason to not expect him in SSB4.

This also piqued my interest. Considering Roy was another planned character for Brawl, and was already in Melee, do you think Sakurai will keep his interest in him and add him?

One last thought, about Dr. Mario. Considering he hasn't really been relevant or had much going for him, do you think (because he was planned for Brawl), that they may add more characters to the Mario series because of that? I would be fine if they just added Paper Mario if they want another version of Mario. Much more interesting and unique.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
This also occurred to me in the Gen 6 Pokemon thread.

If Mewtwo was planned for SSB64, and intended for Brawl (alongside Lucario) then there really isn't any reason to not expect him in SSB4.

This also piqued my interest. Considering Roy was another planned character for Brawl, and was already in Melee, do you think Sakurai will keep his interest in him and add him?

One last thought, about Dr. Mario. Considering he hasn't really been relevant or had much going for him, do you think (because he was planned for Brawl), that they may add more characters to the Mario series because of that? I would be fine if they just added Paper Mario if they want another version of Mario. Much more interesting and unique.
This has been my reasoning exactly. Roy I believe will return to get his due from brawl, because of that, an because of his return for FE:A.
Also, I am fully expecting Paper Mario as well for that reason involving Dr. Mario you mentioned.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Mewtwo and Roy being massively popular requests, combined with the absence of similarly popular new characters within their franchises, gives them an excellent shot to return, hampered only by the possibility of their slots being given to advertisement characters instead, and even then, they're not ruled out.

D

Deleted member

As of now, I think a 3rd EarthBound character is not probable. EarthBound only has 3 games in the entire series (not counting the Mother 1+2 GBA port), and having 3 characters for a franchise with only 3 games is pushing it too far. Though the Mother 1 protagonist, Ninten, is the only EarthBound character I think has real chances because of the popularity of his game in Japan, he is probably not going to be added because he looks TOO MUCH like Ness, the creator has even said that they could be the same person. Just imagine the reaction of non-EarthBound fans if they see this guy in the roster:

Hard to believe that they'd be the same exact person.
But as for the "he looks too much like Ness" thing, just make him look different. I mean, characters get redesigns throughout Smash, so why not make Ninten look as he's commonly portrayed in fan art, using the shirt and scarf from the original commercial for his game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Eh, Waluigi has more personality, so Sakurai probably finds him cooler. Really, Daisy started off as a literal expy of Peach, and hasn't done anything noteworthy since her one and only appearance. Not that Waluigi is very noteworthy, of course, but his two key appearances are a bit better than that.
Yeah, Waluigi is more unique in comparison to Wario than Daisy is to Peach, I'll agree with you there. Kinda makes you wonder what the point of creating Daisy for SML was at all. I guess because it technically didn't take place in the Mushroom Kingdom, but still...

Actually, just the most prominent. I wouldn't say most popular at all. I know quite a few people who only like the Kart/Party games and hate the main series.
I know many people like this as well, but I'd say this one is debatable. The Kart games come close, but overall (ofc there are a few exceptions) the platformers are usually the best selling Mario games, meaning they have the widest audience and the most popularity.

At most, their important appearances are about equal. Numbers of appearances doesn't spell out importance to me. I consider Ganondorf barely important to Twilight Princess at all, for instance. However, Wind Waker and OOT, he was beyond key.
Yeah, they're about equal, though SML and MK7 did do better and had a wider audience than MP3 and the Dance Dance game. I'd agree, in a series like Mario, number of appearances doesn't mean too much (as long as you still show up every once and a while), but it does carry a bit more weight in other series (with much fewer games).

Actually, considering no other villains beyond Kamek, Bowser, and Bowser Jr. span multiple games, he's up there as one of the major villains. Everybody else has one game max. He is a major villain in two games, which nobody beyond those can even brag about it. So he does have some importance.
Right, he's been a villain more than someone like Wart (though in less-prolific titles), and I guess he's been the main villain both times, unlike someone like Fawful or Tatanga, but in the total scope of the series, with its like 250+ games, being the villain twice still doesn't amount to much, even if it's more than some other villains. It's not really enough to be classified a "main villain" if you are the main villain less than 1% of the time.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, Waluigi is more unique in comparison to Wario than Daisy is to Peach, I'll agree with you there. Kinda makes you wonder what the point of creating Daisy for SML was at all. I guess because it technically didn't take place in the Mushroom Kingdom, but still...
That was the point. Unfortunately, Shigeru doesn't like much personality for Mario characters, so...(he likes that stuff in Zelda only)

I know many people like this as well, but I'd say this one is debatable. The Kart games come close, but overall (ofc there are a few exceptions) the platformers are usually the best selling Mario games, meaning they have the widest audience and the most popularity.
I pretty much disagree. Unless you can show proof, the spin-offs(as in not-platformers) combined do pretty much outweigh the platformers overall in power. Sheer number does this more or less.

Yeah, they're about equal, though SML and MK7 did do better and had a wider audience than MP3 and the Dance Dance game. I'd agree, in a series like Mario, number of appearances doesn't mean too much (as long as you still show up every once and a while), but it does carry a bit more weight in other series (with much fewer games).
I put little weight into amount of appearances, only if it matters.

Right, he's been a villain more than someone like Wart (though in less-prolific titles), and I guess he's been the main villain both times, unlike someone like Fawful or Tatanga, but in the total scope of the series, with its like 250+ games, being the villain twice still doesn't amount to much, even if it's more than some other villains. It's not really enough to be classified a "main villain" if you are the main villain less than 1% of the time.
Fawful is the main one in one, and an ordinary bad guy in another. As for Tatanga, he may have had more(I never really went through the SML games). But Waluigi is up there among the most appeared "as a villain". In fact, in the non-platformers, he's the king of villains. In the platformers, he's far outweighed... and you know, not there.

Nobody has more villain appearances(that didn't already from the platformer series) in the Party/Karty/etc. (save rpg) games than Waluigi, so he outweighs all of them by default. So 1% would be different if you removed the Platformers and games where Bowser/Bowser Jr./Kamek are taken out. Considering all the rest of the villains in the non-platformers show up ONCE, well.... it's obvious who the main villain of the non-platformers is. Waluigi by default. He's still presented as a bad guy throughout most of the games, still.(not pure evil, but nor is Bowser every time, except Waluigi is never shown in any heroic light, heh)

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I for the life of me can't see the hype about Paper Mario... I mean I love the games and all, but I don't get why??? And on top of that people what Dr. Mario too? I don't know why people want 3 to 4( for those people that want bowser jr./shadow mario) Marios filling up the roster...

D

Deleted member

Egh... Not looking forward to that. If /v/ is any indication, this place will go to **** rather quickly once that happens.

Guess, I'll just stick to my subscribed threads and mind my own business and stuff...

A bit late, but here's the "50 characters, double the stages" Sakurai interview that really ought to have deterred rumors that we're getting only 39 characters by now.

He does say that's not -all- that he wants to do, as he has in the past, but he's definitely not going to limit his roster aspirations, just because.

http://andriasang.com/comw97/iwata_asks_smash_bros/

Nice find!

Sakurai had actually begun thinking about what he'd do with the next Smash Bros. while he worked on Kid Icarus. He felt that it would be wrong to make a mere extension of Super Smash Bros. Melee (GameCube) and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. He did not feel that it would be right to just increase the volume, adding 50 characters or doubling the stages for instance. He also felt it would be wrong to just improve the visuals. This is why he felt that selecting to make the game for the console just because it would have greater performance would be wrong.
It's good to see he has his priorities set right. I'm at least relieved that this simply won't be Brawl 2.0 as many people want.

For those who are confused, him mentioning 50 characters doesn't imply he'll be adding 50 characters.

Also, I wonder if this interview here coincides with that other one where he mentions "working on new moves for old faces." I heard that was mistranslated, can anyone confirm?

This little bit here is also interesting:

What Sakurai hopes to do is have the 3DS version of Smash Bros. allow players to build up their character through battle and rewards, then take their custom character to the Wii U version to face off against everyone. He feels it could be nice if they can make the "personal" portable space and the stadium-like "public" console space mesh together.

Iwata summed it the basic idea nicely: players would spend time on the 3DS version, building up their character and collecting stuff, then show off their skills on the Wii U version.
This is basically what I expected him to do with the 3DS version.

Why can't the roster be gigantic like MvC?

Because balancing would then be a tremendous task.

Oh, on that previous topic...

I expect around 45-48 characters with 3-5 cuts from Brawl. 42-44 Slots.
>Palutena
>Takamaru
>Chrom
>Little Mac

Are all pretty much guaranteed afaik.
>Gen 6 Pokemon
>K.Rool
>Ridley

Are all very likely.

@N3ON
My pipe dream. Show

And yeah, the site will be basically swamped and inaccessible after the trailer. It won't bother me though, I'll still be too busy watching it over and over and freaking out each time.
Likewise, on both accounts actually. Btw, I loved that picture of Banjo. Where did you find it? You got any more? Good Banjo pictures outside the official art are rather hard to come by.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd bet my *** on those 4 characters entering Smash as well Manly. Palutena, Takamaru, Chrom and Little Mac, that is. All are characters that seem extremely likely, and are worthy additions for Smash.

D

Deleted member

I'd bet my *** on those 4 characters entering Smash as well Manly. Palutena, Takamaru, Chrom and Little Mac, that is. All are characters that seem extremely likely, and are worthy additions for Smash.
I used to be very against getting Chrom, but the more thought I give him, the more I could see him being unique. However, if Sakurai is willing to break walls and get very creative with him is another thing, that we'll have to see. That being said, with some of the ideas I've got cooking up for him I could very well see him alongside Marth and Ike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom