• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The misconceptions flown around being why people are expecting stuff is flawed. It's looking into stuff that doesn't exist or is misread as something else entirely, which leads to flat joy in general. Granted some can be expected AND wanted like Palutena, in general only expecting things is very boring and controversial.

Chrom, Zoroark, and Pac-man are examples of expected but not wanted.
The only reason Chrom is largely not wanted is because most people haven't played his game and he stands in the way of other possible more wanted candidates, this may change once FE13 is released in the West though.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think it's more along the lines of what makes him standout from Marth, Ike, Roy etc. then regional barriers. I do expect Fire Emblem: Awakening to clear up the gap a little when it does become released in western territories, but nothing game changing.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
You really know what I perdict to be playable? Klonoa.
In case you guys do not know, he is an unheard of character in namco's platformer named klonoa, doors of phantomile. The reason why I think he will be added is because of what I saw done to pit. He was relatively unheard of untill SSBB made him popular. Judging by this action by nintendo, I think klonoa is a consideration.
So, anyone agree with me?

D

Deleted member

Response to Arcade Logic:

Well then, why don't we just cut everyone and replace them all?
It's boring playing as the same stupid characters every frigging game.

I want to play as someone like Monita from a newer Nintendo IP, but I can't because Smash has a set cast of IPs that no one gives two flying ones about like F-Zero and Mother?

If Smash denies me that opportunity, I will be upset.

After all, a game isn't a true sequel in a fighting game series unless there are DRASTIC CHANGES to its line-up. Look at Street Fighter 3. That cut near all the cast of Street Fighter 2. That's a true sequel.
Street Fighter 4? Just an expansion to Street Fighter 2, not a true sequel. It's only called "Street Fighter 4" to give a false sense of it being a sequel, when it really is only an expansion.

Now to be serious, your example on Ruby and Sapphire sucks Yoshi Eggs. For one, YOU CAN STILL OBTAIN THE POKEMON. You'd have to trade them over or hack, but it's not like THEY DO NOT EXIST WITHIN THE GAME as would replacing characters for the sake to make you "happy" over new Pokemon that you probably wouldn't care about otherwise.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Arcade, just because people think not every Pokemon gen needs a playable rep doesn't mean they're against the latest gen (in this case 6) having one. Gen 3 didn't get a playable, so don't be telling me now that every gen needs one, in addition to poke-ball appearances. If every gen did get one in addition to poke-balls then I think that would be a cop-out, and SSB4 may as well be called Super Smash Pokemon since it'll have more reps than even ****ing Mario.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
all Pokémon gens being represented as playable characters is like having a FE character per FE world/saga. not gonna happen: only the most popular and recognizable characters will be in. and everyone knows that Gen I Pokémon are the most iconic of them.

I don't have anything against the other Gens - in fact, I admire the creativity behind the many Pokémon species' designs - but I recognize that Gen I is the one most people are familiar with.

D

Deleted member

Arcade, just because people think not every Pokemon gen needs a playable rep doesn't mean they're against the latest gen (in this case 6) having one. Gen 3 didn't get a playable, so don't be telling me now that every gen needs one, in addition to poke-ball appearances. If every gen did get one in addition to poke-balls then I think that would be a cop-out, and SSB4 may as well be called Super Smash Pokemon since it'll have more reps than even ****ing Mario.
Quoted for truth.

Adding a 2nd Gen and a 3rd Gen now for the sake of adding one is stupid.
Adding a 6th Gen (or 5th Gen) that certainly would be worth it (like Lucario was for 4th) on top of bringing back Mewtwo as keeping the rest as is? Perfect.
If a new one doesn't get in, it would be because none of the decent options would be well worth it. Adding a new Pokemon for the sake of adding a new Pokemon is also quite stupid.

D

Deleted member

Response to Arcade Logic:

Well then, why don't we just cut everyone and replace them all?
It's boring playing as the same stupid characters every frigging game.
Uhh, there's actually nothing wrong with that... Cutting 70% of the roster and only keeping the leads like in Pic related and adding a bunch of new characters isn't as bad an idea os you make it sound. Especially since Nintendo is an evolving company it also has many IPs which are either dead (Mother) or dying (F-Zero and StarFox).

We've been over this before, there really is nothing wrong with wanting new faces over characters we've already played as before. Likewise with revamping old staple characters so they play differently.

After all, a game isn't a true sequel in a fighting game series unless there are DRASTIC CHANGES to its line-up. Look at Street Fighter 3. That cut near all the cast of Street Fighter 2. That's a true sequel.
Street Fighter 4? Just an expansion to Street Fighter 2, not a true sequel. It's only called "Street Fighter 4" to give a false sense of it being a sequel, when it really is only an expansion.
It's funny you should say that because many people consider Alpha 3 and Third Strike to be much better games than any of the SF4 iterations (and I agree), one of the reasons being the roster, and despite the initial disapproval against cutting most of the classics, many people grew to like the SF3 characters and their styles. Also, your argument at comparing Smash to SF4 and the like is very weak, as there are many differences among all the SF installments to make them all play very differently from each other, and no SF sequel ever felt like an "expansion to the last game," not to mention SF4 has many cut characters as well, and is by no means an expansion as you (ironically) claim. It is actually more like what people want for Smash Bros. I can guarantee you when SF5 rolls around, many of the characters from SSF4AE won't be in the roster.

Now to be serious, your example on Ruby and Sapphire sucks Yoshi Eggs. For one, YOU CAN STILL OBTAIN THE POKEMON. You'd have to trade them over or hack, but it's not like THEY DO NOT EXIST WITHIN THE GAME as would replacing characters for the sake to make you "happy" over new Pokemon that you probably wouldn't care about otherwise.
You couldn't trade Pokemon from Gens 1 and 2 into 3, and hacking doesn't count as we can Hack Smash Bros as well.

all Pokémon gens being represented as playable characters is like having a FE character per FE world/saga. not gonna happen: only the most popular and recognizable characters will be in. and everyone knows that Gen I Pokémon are the most iconic of them.

I don't have anything against the other Gens - in fact, I admire the creativity behind the many Pokémon species' designs - but I recognize that Gen I is the one most people are familiar with.
That still doesn't discredit the fact that a Gen 6 rep is likely just like Chrom is likely.

Quoted for truth.

Adding a 2nd Gen and a 3rd Gen now for the sake of adding one is stupid.
Adding a 6th Gen (or 5th Gen) that certainly would be worth it (like Lucario was for 4th) on top of bringing back Mewtwo as keeping the rest as is? Perfect.
If a new one doesn't get in, it would be because none of the decent options would be well worth it. Adding a new Pokemon for the sake of adding a new Pokemon is also quite stupid.
What if we get Lucario and Gen 6 but no Mewtwo?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
While people will disagree with cuts in general, cuts do have the benefit of making more leg room to bring in some new faces and concepts to the table. It's a cycle among many games to remove and return content to make each game have something unique to brag about.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
*insert comment on how DLC can bring old characters back*

@ManlySpirit, I never said it wouldn't be possible to have Chrom or a Gen VI Pokémon as playable characters in SSB4. I was stating that it was a ridiculous idea to have a playable Pokémon per Generation, while also presenting a valid reason for the fact that majority of the playable Pokémon characters are from Gen I.

D

Deleted member

*insert comment on how DLC can bring old characters back*

@ManlySpirit, I never said it wouldn't be possible to have Chrom or a Gen VI Pokémon as playable characters in SSB4. I was stating that it was a ridiculous idea to have a playable Pokémon per Generation, while also presenting a valid reason for the fact that majority of the playable Pokémon characters are from Gen I.
Well yeah, of course representing every Gen with playables is absurd. I guess I misinterpreted your post man, my bad.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@ManlySpirit: no problem!

anyway, I believe that the Pokémon roster next game might be something like this:
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Pokémon Trainer and, Gen VI Pokémon or Lucario, depending on the popularity of the latter two.

a Gen V rep seems unlikely now, since we'll be getting X/Y late year and we hadn't got yet much info on SSB4.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Personally I wouldn't mind if Platinum Games becomes a first party company for Nintendo in the future and start developing for both existing and new stuff, but at the same time I could see the concerns to being restricted to only one brand.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
BTW, unattached to the current topic, but I saw this neat little video that argues that some of the weird characterization of Samus in Other M- which we've discussed every now and then in this long and winding thread- was the result of bad localization, and that basically the localization team of Other M turned Samus from a sort of Samurai-like figure who hides refuses to show emotions like some sort of badass Vulcan into the more... emotional... type of character that showed up in the English version.

Okay, just was throwing that in. Back to the topic at hand.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
On a slightly different topic to avoid Other M from popping up and causing everyone to have a hernia.

Okay so for those that like to speculate on how characters could work out, I have pretty good tips to get a general idea on how any character can work even if they are regulated to an NPC role.

1: The first thing to always remember is the general archtype of whatever the character establishes in their canon games. As you know an arch type is how a character plays, typical examples being jack of all trades, fast but weak, powerful and resilient but slow, glass cannons, and defensive but weak. TvTropes does a good time explaining varies arch types if you want to know more.For example sake, Bowser is slow but powerful, Mario is balanced, and Pikachu is fast, similar to how they are in the games they come from.
The arch type influences the strengths and weaknesses of the character, but characters can mix and match different types to create different styles of play.

However keep in mind that every character can still follow an arch type if you observe carefully everything that is around the character, even if they don't physically fight or have playable character roles. For example, Captain Falcon is fast and powerful because of the emphasis of speed from F-Zero games and Captain Falcon's muscular build suggesting above normal strength.

2: Every character has an arsenal of techniques from their games. Fundamentally every character (barring justified examples) can punch and kick at the most basic levels, but at the same time you got to incorporate elements that come from their games and what would make sense within the context of the character. Sometimes you might even have to make up moves if there is a missing placement you cannot fill out with something already established, or in extreme cases like Pit make the made up stuff extensive to the point of becoming an established character trait right back into canon works.

3: Balance is a very key thing when blending together the moves and arch type. You don't want a character that has very few setbacks compared to everyone else, so as such you need to give the character setbacks in order to make it feel reasonably strong but with complications preventing the character from becoming too centralizing. Sometimes you may even have to take a detour from arch types or moves for the sake of balance, like Bowser being way too powerful if he used the NPC variant that was not only strong but also very fast and athletic.

4: Never shy away from trying out gimmicks, since they can really spice up a character when correctly implemented. This can simple like giving a move a unique trait, to something more complex like rotating to several different characters or changing how it fights. Just remember to not make any gimmick too complicated, since it will become more of a complicated mess then something interesting.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Im just glad that these guys look like the best legendaries since Groudon and Kyorgre.

I hated Gen4 Legends the most Giratina was ok..Darkrai was probly the best/coolest but none of them have nothing on Rayquaza.

Also all Gen5 legends are meh..dont care for them at all they all suck the same as Gen4.

http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/G4FfOM8_RXE/mqdefault.jpg

Also suprised no one brought this up but obviously isnt it upto GameFreak what pokes gen into Sm4sh?

Tbh i doubt mewtwo will return even though hes 1 of my top 3 most wanted.

I mean any of you thought that what if Sakurai wants mewtwo to return but GameFreak says no.. we want a 5/6 Gen in instead.. or they say sure Mewtwo can return but this Gen5/6 pokes has to be in.

And Sakurai wouldnt put.

Pika
Jiggs
Lucario
PT
5/6 Gen
Mewtwo

or

Pika
Jiggs
5/6 Gen
PT
Mewtwo.

Im almost certain that Lucario would take priority over Mewtwo and Pika is stuck like glue ofc he aint going no where and ofc Jiggs is pretty much the same and Gen5/6 has to get in and PT Will return So it might just be a true battle of scrap Lucario vs Mewtwo..

And if that does happen..Sakurai would get all the backlash or it could even happen but we wouldnt even know..

If Roy comes back and Mewtwo doesnt?!? You damn sure know that ****! Went down..Something Happened for sure!

:phone:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Chrom will most likely still take priority over Roy though, as well as keeping Ike over Roy. He has literaly no advantages over those two.

Mewtwo vs Lucario is a tough one though...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Chrom will most likely still take priority over Roy though, as well as keeping Ike over Roy. He has literaly no advantages over those two.

Mewtwo vs Lucario is a tough one though...

Mewtwo vs Lucario is proberly the best example of the war of.

Fanbase/Popular Vs. Revelancy/New...

How would you lot feel about.

Pika
Mewtwo
Lucario
PT
5/6 Gen?

(no jiggs basicly...)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo vs Lucario is proberly the best example of the war of.

Fanbase/Popular Vs. Revelancy/New...

How would you lot feel about.

Pika
Mewtwo
Lucario
PT
5/6 Gen?

(no jiggs basicly...)

Lucario is a lot less relevant now though, so both would now be popular / fanbase choices, which complicates stuff even more.

If removing Jiggz was an option, I'd take it to have both Mewtwo and Lucario, but this seems unlikely. And I doubt the trainer will leave either.

However, if they DO decide to take out the Puff, I never wanna see Sheik again either. There's a slight chance it'll happen, seeing as Ness was even supposed to be replaced with Lucas in Melee. So it's not that ALL veterans are 100% safe either. And Jiggz was unlocked strangely late in Brawl (very unusual seeing she was pretty much always the first character you unlocked in 64 / Melee).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The only character who isn't relevant in Brawl was Sheik though. Outside the retros of coarse. And even Sheik was planned for Twilight Princess, but was likely scrapped from the story after they decided on using her again. So yes, relevance imo does count. You cannot rule it out at least. It'll always be a major point outside of popularity, moveset potential ect ect.

D

Deleted member

4: Never shy away from trying out gimmicks, since they can really spice up a character when correctly implemented. This can simple like giving a move a unique trait, to something more complex like rotating to several different characters or changing how it fights. Just remember to not make any gimmick too complicated, since it will become more of a complicated mess then something interesting.
I agree, in fact adding gimmicks to characters is a great way to make them all play very uniquely even if they have some similar moves here and there. BlazBlue does a great job at demonstrating this with the unique Drives each character has, no two characters are anything alike:

Ragna steals health
Jin freezes opponents
Noel changes and links her combos
Tsubaki charges her specials
Hazama uses that chain thing to pull himself/opponents closer
Bullet has auto-grapple combos
Azrael finds and exploits weakpoints
Mu-12 deploys auto-fire guns at a distance
etc...

Anyway, on a slightly different topic, I know we've talked about this before, and I may be a bit slowpoke here, but I've heard this rumor that I just can't seem to ignore.

You want an unexpected left field character that would be as surprising for most to see as Snake? There is only ONE character that can do that at this point:

[COLLAPSE="Yep..."]
[/COLLAPSE]

Anyway, I keep hearing rumors that Nintendo was negotiating with Microsoft to try and buy Rare just for the sake of earning rights to the Banjo IP. Well, I did some digging up and this is what I came up with:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...-japanese-video-game-market-one-ip-at-a-time/
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/c...negotiate-its-way-into-ownership-of-banjo-and

According to the tipster, Nintendo is in direct negotiations with Microsoft to buy RARE, though the purpose of buying them seems to be all based around getting the rights to Banjo and Kazooie. Of course, we can’t forget the other key franchises Nintendo gets with the acquisition. Conker’s Bad Fur Day may have been shunned by Nintendo, but a sequel to that game should be embraced by the Nintendo brass if they want the Wii U to really be for everyone. Of course, this rumor doesn’t stop there - it goes as far as to suggest that Retro Studios is actually deep into development on a Banjo and Kazooie title, and that the talks with Microsoft have been ongoing for some time.
Now, as much as I want this to be true, it seems somewhat unlikely, however, if you think about a few things for a little, there is chance this MIGHT be true after all.

First and foremost, there's the fact that Retro is supposedly working on a game that "everyone wants them to work on." Now I find it unlikely that it's Banjo Kazooie, but nowdays, people do consider Retro Studios the spiritual successor to Rare, and with how Nintendo treats them, there certainly is a resemblace. In fact many old Rare devs are working at Retro now supposedly. There is also this little tidbit about the old Banjo team wanting to make a spiritual successor for the series: http://gamerant.com/spiritual-successor-banjo-kazooie/. So, what if? What if Retro was working on a 3D platformer similar to Banjo, and Nintendo just decided to try and buy rights to the game in hopes of having a stronger name to stand on?

There's more though, a couple pages back, we talked about that supposed Diddy Kong Racing game supposed to be in development for the WiiU. We talked about how Monster Games would have to find ways to replace beloved Rare characters like Banjo and Conker and Tiptup with other IPs. But, if Retro was working on a title like what I suggested, then Nintendo would now have TWO reasons to try and make those Rare IPs 1st party Nintendo IPs.

Now, with Rare being M$'s Kinnect team, it's very unlikely they would sell the studio to Nintendo and tbh, Nintendo's better of without them, as they're Rare only in name nowdays. However, considering how poorly Rare did with the past generations, and how M$ doesn't seem to have any interest in either working with the Rare IPs, nor letting Rare make any more games. It is possible they might sell the rights to "dead" IPs for some quick cash. Think about it, as far as M$ cares, Banjo Kazooie was a failed project, and even Rare voiced their opinion on how "modern gamers only wanna shoot stuff." So what if negotiations DID indeed happen and Nintendo earned the rights to the Rare IPs and may even bought a couple employees? As mentioned in the forbes article, Nintendo DID buy Monolith Soft, and they've been very focused on getting their hands on exclusive IPs for their WiiU, so it's not too much of a stretch really.

Maybe I'm just grasping at straws because I REALLY want this to be true, but picture this:

@E3 2013
-Nintendo showcases a new trailer and demos for Pokemon "Coldplay."
-People are excited, but it's expected.
-Then a trailer for the new DKR, the trailer has many of the expected faces, and it's similar to how we remember it, suddenly, we catch a glimpse of a notorious Bear with a pesky Bird nagging him about his poor piloting skills, then we see Conker and even Tiptup.
-Fans cheer at this unexpected reveal and figure M$ allowed them in, or something.
-Then, Reggie comes on stage and talks about how "WiiU won't only let you race with familiar faces, but also fight with them."
-And fans cheer at the announcement of the new Smash 4 trailer.
-The trailer comes up, and we see the expected stuff, Mario, Link, Pika, Samus, some new faces, maybe Saki, and Ridley, and the Gen 6 Pokemon. Finally, when things begin to slow down in the trailer we see a glimpse of our new Namco 3rd party be it Lloyd or Pacman.
-People cheer as the screen goes dark.... but WAIT!
-Suddenly we hear the sound of wind... Followed by the squawking of some bird as words appear on screen beside the face of a familiar Breegull, telling her partner how he got them lost again. Then, "Gu-gugu-gu-gu-gugu" as the bear replies "it's better to be late than never." All of this as the strings of a Banjo begin to intensify in a familiar Jingle as the screen begins to pan to the ground and the music speeds up, then we see a bear's foot leave a Blue Footprint on the ground followed by the classic "Gu-huh!"
-Only on WiiU Summer 2014
-Throughout all of this fans are dead silent as they cannot BELIEVE what they've just seen. "How?" "What?" "There's no way!!" " A rival 1st Party IP in Smash Bros?" And then, people begin to cheer, it echoes so loud that cheer can be heard across the planet.
-"But wait, there's more!" Reggie says as he comes on stage.
-"The promise of an old enemy, 'Just you wait until Banjo-Threeie.' That's right our very own Retro studios and the old banjo Team have come together to bring you the game you've always wanted. Banjo-Threeie, exclusive to WiiU."
-And the titles to the game appears behind him with the WiiU logo.

And then, at that moment, thousands of fans die due to increased blood pressure caused by the excitement of that day. E3 2013, the day the internet imploded.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Relevancy doesn't mean anything, and for those that think otherwise are being manipulated over nothing.
I really think there are several more factors contributing to a character's inclusion or exclusion... and relevancy is just one of them. There's recentness, anatomy, who developed their games, and so on.

I agree, in fact adding gimmicks to characters is a great way to make them all play very uniquely even if they have some similar moves here and there. BlazBlue does a great job at demonstrating this with the unique Drives each character has, no two characters are anything alike:

Anyway, on a slightly different topic, I know we've talked about this before, and I may be a bit slowpoke here, but I've heard this rumor that I just can't seem to ignore.

You want an unexpected left field character that would be as surprising for most to see as Snake? There is only ONE character that can do that at this point:

And then, at that moment, thousands of fans die due to increased blood pressure caused by the excitement of that day. E3 2013, the day the internet imploded.
My gimmick for Duck Hunt Dog involves breaking the fourth wall. The dog points in one way, the hunter (the person playing Duck Hunt) shoots from the fourth wall at wherever the dog is pointing at. Sure, it would look like a magic explosion but it's really a cartoony gunfire explosion. My reasoning for this is that the dog always seem to break the fourth wall by laughing at you (the person playing Duck Hunt) whenever you miss a shot. It's like the dog is aware that he is in a video game and he's trolling us just by being on the roster instead of another popular character. :troll:

Banjo & Kazooie in Smash would be amazing. He's pretty much my #1 most wanted Rare character. Another way to surprise the fans with something truly unbelievable is if Captain N gets in Smash. Yes, he didn't originate in a video game but I believe he is still owned by Nintendo and that's good enough for Captain N. Smash is a Nintendo All-Star game and I think Captain N is a well-known Nintendo character despite not being a video game character (yet) among the older fans. It would give Nintendo an excuse to make a new game series around him if he gets in Smash.

Nintendo needs to buy Conker, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, Snake Rattle 'n' Roll, and Battletoads in addition to Banjo-Kazooie... SSB5 would be amazing if it got some characters from those Rare IPs. :awesome:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There are no former Rare developers at Retro (I follow Retro pretty closely, I do know they picked up some Naughty Dog people though).

I strongly doubt that Microsoft would sell off Rare's IPs to Nintendo or that Nintendo is even interested in buying them. Heck, Microsoft is not even allowing Nintendo to have the DKC trilogy on the Virtual Console anymore.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
[...] Heck, Microsoft is not even allowing Nintendo to have the DKC trilogy on the Virtual Console anymore.
I thought that Nintendo had all the rights for everything DK related that Rare created... I don't think Microsoft is in position to stop Nintendo from releasing games that are owned 100% by Nintendo themselves. Could be wrong, though...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Problem is... while Nintendo may own the IP rights to Donkey Kong franchise... Rare owns the rights to the coding in DKC trilogy... since they were, you know, the ones who developed DKC trilogy. At least that's how I see it.

yani

Smash Lord
Personally I wouldn't mind if Platinum Games becomes a first party company for Nintendo in the future and start developing for both existing and new stuff, but at the same time I could see the concerns to being restricted to only one brand.
I would love to see it happen. I want Kamiya to make a Star Fox and Takamaru game :bee:

I think that Rare rumor is fake, since Zelda Informer often posts any rumors they get emailed for hits. But if the one about Monster Games making Diddy Kong Racing is true, and Nintendo did buy back the DKR cast (excluding Conker and Banjo) than that would at least give me hope for them considering to get Banjo back one day.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Problem is... while Nintendo may own the IP rights to Donkey Kong franchise... Rare owns the rights to the coding in DKC trilogy... since they were, you know, the ones who developed DKC trilogy. At least that's how I see it.
well, if that's true, that should explain it then.

but even so, I would think the DKC trilogy's coding is still something related to the DK franchise, since well... it IS the coding of a Donkey Kong game after all. so yeah, it's kinda weird.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Ragna steals health
Jin freezes opponents
etc...

[COLLAPSE="Yep..."]
[/COLLAPSE]

Anyway, I keep hearing rumors that Nintendo was negotiating with Microsoft to try and buy Rare just for the sake of earning rights to the Banjo IP. Well, I did some digging up and this is what I came up with:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...-japanese-video-game-market-one-ip-at-a-time/
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/c...negotiate-its-way-into-ownership-of-banjo-and

Now, as much as I want this to be true, it seems somewhat unlikely, however, if you think about a few things for a little, there is chance this MIGHT be true after all.

First and foremost, there's the fact that Retro is supposedly working on a game that "everyone wants them to work on." Now I find it unlikely that it's Banjo Kazooie, but nowdays, people do consider Retro Studios the spiritual successor to Rare, and with how Nintendo treats them, there certainly is a resemblace. In fact many old Rare devs are working at Retro now supposedly. There is also this little tidbit about the old Banjo team wanting to make a spiritual successor for the series: http://gamerant.com/spiritual-successor-banjo-kazooie/. So, what if? What if Retro was working on a 3D platformer similar to Banjo, and Nintendo just decided to try and buy rights to the game in hopes of having a stronger name to stand on?

There's more though, a couple pages back, we talked about that supposed Diddy Kong Racing game supposed to be in development for the WiiU. We talked about how Monster Games would have to find ways to replace beloved Rare characters like Banjo and Conker and Tiptup with other IPs. But, if Retro was working on a title like what I suggested, then Nintendo would now have TWO reasons to try and make those Rare IPs 1st party Nintendo IPs.

Now, with Rare being M$'s Kinnect team, it's very unlikely they would sell the studio to Nintendo and tbh, Nintendo's better of without them, as they're Rare only in name nowdays. However, considering how poorly Rare did with the past generations, and how M$ doesn't seem to have any interest in either working with the Rare IPs, nor letting Rare make any more games. It is possible they might sell the rights to "dead" IPs for some quick cash. Think about it, as far as M$ cares, Banjo Kazooie was a failed project, and even Rare voiced their opinion on how "modern gamers only wanna shoot stuff." So what if negotiations DID indeed happen and Nintendo earned the rights to the Rare IPs and may even bought a couple employees? As mentioned in the forbes article, Nintendo DID buy Monolith Soft, and they've been very focused on getting their hands on exclusive IPs for their WiiU, so it's not too much of a stretch really.

Maybe I'm just grasping at straws because I REALLY want this to be true, but picture this:

@E3 2013
-Nintendo showcases a new trailer and demos for Pokemon "Coldplay."
-People are excited, but it's expected.
-Then a trailer for the new DKR, the trailer has many of the expected faces, and it's similar to how we remember it, suddenly, we catch a glimpse of a notorious Bear with a pesky Bird nagging him about his poor piloting skills, then we see Conker and even Tiptup.
-Fans cheer at this unexpected reveal and figure M$ allowed them in, or something.
-Then, Reggie comes on stage and talks about how "WiiU won't only let you race with familiar faces, but also fight with them."
-And fans cheer at the announcement of the new Smash 4 trailer.
-The trailer comes up, and we see the expected stuff, Mario, Link, Pika, Samus, some new faces, maybe Saki, and Ridley, and the Gen 6 Pokemon. Finally, when things begin to slow down in the trailer we see a glimpse of our new Namco 3rd party be it Lloyd or Pacman.
-People cheer as the screen goes dark.... but WAIT!
-Suddenly we hear the sound of wind... Followed by the squawking of some bird as words appear on screen beside the face of a familiar Breegull, telling her partner how he got them lost again. Then, "Gu-gugu-gu-gu-gugu" as the bear replies "it's better to be late than never." All of this as the strings of a Banjo begin to intensify in a familiar Jingle as the screen begins to pan to the ground and the music speeds up, then we see a bear's foot leave a Blue Footprint on the ground followed by the classic "Gu-huh!"
-Only on WiiU Summer 2014
-Throughout all of this fans are dead silent as they cannot BELIEVE what they've just seen. "How?" "What?" "There's no way!!" " A rival 1st Party IP in Smash Bros?" And then, people begin to cheer, it echoes so loud that cheer can be heard across the planet.
-"But wait, there's more!" Reggie says as he comes on stage.
-"The promise of an old enemy, 'Just you wait until Banjo-Threeie.' That's right our very own Retro studios and the old banjo Team have come together to bring you the game you've always wanted. Banjo-Threeie, exclusive to WiiU."
-And the titles to the game appears behind him with the WiiU logo.

You've earned your title as ManlySpirit in my eyes, as this would literally be the best case scenario. Or as I like to say, the best thing ever!
But this time for real :awesome:

DKR for Wii U alone would be more than awesome, and yes, reason alone for me to get a Wii U, but Banjo Kazooie in Smash and DKR plus Rare's return... Where the hell am I supposed to get this much money from? :scared:

Anyways, big respect for these ideas!

D

Deleted member

I would love to see it happen. I want Kamiya to make a Star Fox and Takamaru game :bee:

I think that Rare rumor is fake, since Zelda Informer often posts any rumors they get emailed for hits. But if the one about Monster Games making Diddy Kong Racing is true, and Nintendo did buy back the DKR cast (excluding Conker and Banjo) than that would at least give me hope for them considering to get Banjo back one day.
Well, I can't see why Nintendo wouldn't want such a deal really. It would greatly benefit them, and their current trends tend to imply that they would attempt such a move.

It all lies with whether Microsoft would be up for such negotiations. Now, I think the whole thing about Nintendo buying back Rare is completely untrue, but Nintendo buying some IPs from Microsoft isn't too far-fetched. I mean, I don't think Microsoft has any more use for those IPs and Nintendo certainly seems to want them (or at least, we want them to have them).

It all comes down to just how greedy Microsoft is... I understand it's a rival company, but perhaps at the time it seemed like a more "fruitfull/harmless" endeavor. Who knows, maybe there is something there for us to see. I can at least say one thing. This E3 at least won't be as disappointing as the last 3, with Microsoft set to unveil their new Xbox, Nintendo will also be putting out a lot of big guns. Sony is the interesting one... Did you guys hear about the PS4 at CNET...? Exactly, they said nothing of it, not even a mention.

well, if that's true, that should explain it then.

but even so, I would think the DKC trilogy's coding is still something related to the DK franchise, since well... it IS the coding of a Donkey Kong game after all. so yeah, it's kinda weird.
Well the rumors about Nintendo buying Rare came out around July of 2012, and the VC takedown was late 2012, so perhaps they're related somehow...

@Diddy
Thanks, yeah there's a reason I donned the name "ManlySpirit" as my online identity, pic very much related:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
[...]
It all comes down to just how greedy Microsoft is... I understand it's a rival company, but perhaps at the time it seemed like a more "fruitfull/harmless" endeavor. Who knows, maybe there is something there for us to see. I can at least say one thing. This E3 at least won't be as disappointing as the last 3, with Microsoft set to unveil their new Xbox, Nintendo will also be putting out a lot of big guns. Sony is the interesting one... Did you guys hear about the PS4 at CNET...? Exactly, they said nothing of it, not even a mention.

Well the rumors about Nintendo buying Rare came out around July of 2012, and the VC takedown was late 2012, so perhaps they're related somehow...

[...]
If that's the case, then I don't think Microsoft will sell those former Nintendo IPs. Come now, what benefit would they get from selling those to a competing company? Unless they think they haven't got anything to lose, I doubt they will sell the IPs.

On your second point... it's either a coincidence or there's more to it than we know. But I am tempted to think it's not a coincidence.

D

Deleted member

If that's the case, then I don't think Microsoft will sell those former Nintendo IPs. Come now, what benefit would they get from selling those to a competing company? Unless they think they haven't got anything to lose, I doubt they will sell the IPs.

On your second point... it's either a coincidence or there's more to it than we know. But I am tempted to think it's not a coincidence.
I'm tempted to think the same thing as well.

I was thinking along the lines that perhaps some people saw it as of "nothing to lose sort of situation." With Sony potentially dropping out of the race, M$ probably feels that they would now have a stronger hold on the "hardcore" market, as being the COD exclusive console or something, thus having no need for those "kiddy" IPs. Not to mention, they didn't expect the WiiU to have such potential, and Nintendo to suddenly start gaining so many exclusive IPs.

Then some of the higher ups got wind of the deal and situation and backlashed with the DKC deal?

Who knows man, I'm definitively grasping at straws here, one thing is certain, we'll know more about this by this year's E3.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Microsoft is bound to be greedy. They're basically the empire of modern day technology, and therefore modern day business. It's not so much that they want Rare for themselves, but more to keep them away from Nintendo, knowing they would profit more from them than they. :glare:

So yeah, perhaps they'd only sell Rare to Microsoft for huge amounts of money, maybe as much as the innitial deal if not more.

Yes, I do have a problem with the system...

yani

Smash Lord
Well, I can't see why Nintendo wouldn't want such a deal really. It would greatly benefit them, and their current trends tend to imply that they would attempt such a move.

It all lies with whether Microsoft would be up for such negotiations. Now, I think the whole thing about Nintendo buying back Rare is completely untrue, but Nintendo buying some IPs from Microsoft isn't too far-fetched. I mean, I don't think Microsoft has any more use for those IPs and Nintendo certainly seems to want them (or at least, we want them to have them).

It all comes down to just how greedy Microsoft is... I understand it's a rival company, but perhaps at the time it seemed like a more "fruitfull/harmless" endeavor. Who knows, maybe there is something there for us to see. I can at least say one thing. This E3 at least won't be as disappointing as the last 3, with Microsoft set to unveil their new Xbox, Nintendo will also be putting out a lot of big guns. Sony is the interesting one... Did you guys hear about the PS4 at CNET...? Exactly, they said nothing of it, not even a mention..
Personally, I think Microsoft would be more than willing to sell Rare's IP. I think Nintendo is reluctant to give money to Microsoft (my reasoning for this is that Microsoft,Rare,and Activision were all in an agreement for Goldeneye HD, and Nintendo was the one who wouldn't agree to it). But even so, I think purchasing Rare's IP would be worth it alone for the VC purposes. Nintendo fans love Rare's old work, and Microsoft would be getting free money through Rare (they'd be getting a cut since they were the developers) and it's essentially a win win.

In regards to the Diddy Kong Racing rumor, I think it's true that it is being developed by Monster Games. I don't really know much about the studio so I looked them up on Wikipedia and their specialty is racing games apparently. I think the DKR roster I posted a couple of days ago is fake (as SmashChu said, probably someone seeing a chance to troll and jumping on it). I'm hoping that Nintendo did get the old cast back though, I love those characters!

Fun fact: Yoshi's Island and Diddy Kong Racing DS were revealed at the same e3 a few years ago, so we'll see. :p

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

Ragna steals health
Jin freezes opponents
etc...

[COLLAPSE="Yep..."]
[/COLLAPSE]

You playing with my emotions right now my n!gga. :bee:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I would really love Banjo & Kazooie in a Super Smash Bros, but due to the massive copyright barrier between Nintendo, Rare, and Microsoft, it will probably never happen. It's one of those impossible desires, you know?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm tempted to think the same thing as well.

I was thinking along the lines that perhaps some people saw it as of "nothing to lose sort of situation." With Sony potentially dropping out of the race, M$ probably feels that they would now have a stronger hold on the "hardcore" market, as being the COD exclusive console or something, thus having no need for those "kiddy" IPs. Not to mention, they didn't expect the WiiU to have such potential, and Nintendo to suddenly start gaining so many exclusive IPs.

Then some of the higher ups got wind of the deal and situation and backlashed with the DKC deal?

Who knows man, I'm definitively grasping at straws here, one thing is certain, we'll know more about this by this year's E3.
Sony dropping out of the console making business is a reality getting close, unless Sony puts a trump card into play and blows the competition, which is very unlikely. The PS Vita should be more than proof to how Sony isn't being able to keep up with Nintendo in the handheld market.

On your second point, I can agree with you, specially when considering the rumors about Microsoft's acquisition of Activision-Blizzard, which has the rights to many titles like Call of Duty and Warcraft, both big names in PC gaming, which would benefit Microsoft.

I think Microsoft may sell out Rare back to Nintendo, profit from it and consequently acquire Activision Blizzard. Of course, this is just speculation.

We're bound to know more as the year advances, specially during E3, in which I predict big bombs being dropped.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Microsoft won't stop till the whole world burns though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom