• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I really can't picture that happening. The fighting types are usually based on some actual fighting style or something fighting related (Blaziken). I can't think of any that are associated with a fox or would be suitable for one.

If it's going to be another dual type, I'm expecting Fire and either Psychic or Dark, preferably psychic as I don't think that's been done yet.
What if the final evolution was a Pokemon that looked like Fox Mccloud. Maybe it could be a steel type too. :o

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You know, I hope they just bring Mewtwo back and call it a day with Pokemon in Smash. Maybe revamp Lucario and the Trainer a bit to.

:phone:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well I'm going to have a hard time waiting until October. :awesome:

As for how this effects Smash, I think it's inevitable we get several sixth gen Pokeballs and trophies and stuff, but until we really get a singular feasible character with a good amount of popularity (which would probably have to be unveiled relatively soon), I'm not convinced they'll get a playable rep yet. Oh, and I don't think this effects Mewtwo's chances at all.

However if we do get a standout character, I could very easily see fifth gen getting passed over, just like 3rd gen. Until then... I'd say Zoroark still shouldn't be discounted as a possibility, but I believe his chances have been firmly shaken. As for a different fifth gen? I very much doubt it.

@Kuma
Victini is a Fire/Psychic ;)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit TOO soon?
I wouldn't have expected a new Gen this early either, but Gen 2 only lasted three years as well, so it's not like it's without precedent.

Personally I hope, like Gen 2, this is more of an expansive gen, that has some new evolutions of previous Pokemon, so some can be elevated from the useless status they've settled into.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit TOO soon?
Yeah, I'm a bit worried that Pokemon will turn into Nintendo's CoD or Madden, as in there will be a new version every year. Though maybe they're just making up for the fact that we've had 4 main series games on one system.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hope everyone gets revamped.
Same here actually, but felt Lucario and PT needed it more.

Jiggz just needs buffs, or her F Air and B Air from Melee. An actual usable Sing would be mad though.

Pikachu was fine in Brawl, but could have a new Side B, a 3-jump Up B, be a little lighter and smaller (also faster) but otherwise should imo not be changed too much from his Brawl self. Perhaps add Pichu and Raichu to? :awesome:

PT needs to look at how Project M did the characters. And remove the stamina. Lucario imo also was done much better in Project M. All represent the types of Pokemon they are much better, especially Charizard and Lucario.

As for a 5th gen rep vs a 6th gen rep, I don't really care. :smirk:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Was betting on no playable Gen 6 before and from what we know now I'm even more firm on that stance, at least until we maybe see a Gen 6 costar being hinted at for Genesect's movie (which could go either way (a Munchlax or a Lucario), though with Gen 6 being based on genes...).

I'm more interested to see what will happen to the Gen 5 fanbases more than anything.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
The board is going down soon for a time. Just thought I should mention that.

That said, looking at the fact this new region seems to be based in Europe and has some type of Eiffel Tower in it, could that be a neat stage or what?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Pokemon 6 Gen talk already, yeah!

I feel soo mixed. Pokemon in 3D! Yess!

Scared that they will not do much innovations and show signs of losing ideas. SCARED

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Wow I LOVE that grass starter. It's so cute. :D That fire fox (lol?) is pretty cool too. The froggy is funny. :p

I didn't expect a 6th gen this soon but then again I did.

I highly doubt we won't be seeing "any" 5th gen rep in Smash 4. To be honest I always considered Rayquaza to be the third gen rep of Brawl (since it was a boss and all) So we might get a 5th gen boss in Smash 4 (My money goes to Kyurem) But I'm sure the likely candidate of playable rep will be a sixth gen pokemon. Shame, because I actually did genuinely liked Zoroark a lot and not because he was a flavor of the month or expected or whatever. Oh well's.

Can't wait for these games. ^_^

D

Deleted member

Alright, we're finally getting a 6th Gen. Now I need to look at how it is because it may just convince me to buy a 3DS.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Never got the 5th gen, and didnt bother too much with 4th. But this might turn out to be cool. If I ever get the money for a 3DS, I might get this to. Probably the Y version though. Always pick red over blue, unless it's pink and ugly (yes Palkia, your ugly as ****).

D

Deleted member

Interesting that the 6th Generation is not only this early in comparison to previous ones, but that it will be getting a worldwide release.
I was not expecting that.

Seems I've underestimated the chance for a 6th Gen, after all, Sakurai would likely have known before we did...in fact, he may know a certain Pokemon that heavily interests him that we don't....
Then again, he might not. :p

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Just because there is something new going on, it doesn't guarantee anything whatsoever. There is absolutely no rules that state we are forced to get whatever is new.

There is no guarantee whatsoever that anything from Gen VI will be on the roster whether you people like it or not.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm really liking Froakie. Poor guy. According to a Bulbapedia poll, he is the leas liked new starter...I love him to death though.

Funny. I've picked the Water Starter ever since Gen III.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
-Pikachu
-Jigglypuff
-Pokemon Trainer (Brawl Version)
-Mewtwo
-Lucario

May be "boring," but it's in my opinion the most plausible, given today's events.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yes, because as everyone has said time and time again, not every generation needs a playable representative. Why can't you seem to understand that?

most people want that type of roster though
But it is the same thing. A mix of Melee and Brawl. Nothing new.

That doesn't sound like an SSB4. That sounds like a collection game. Just saying.

Edit: I could understand if SOME was the same, but not all of it. Maybe Gold coming in but Lucario staying. Or Zoroark comes in while Red stays. Something like that.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
personally i dont want Mewtwo back at all. id rather have Zoroark and keep everything else the same. but the polls say he's probably coming back

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's just that overall, people would be happier knowing that those characters returned, and less would be mad if a new character didn't make it. Otherwise, backlash can happen, and given enough popularity, they'll just be added in the next game anyway. This way avoids backlash and cutting. Therefore, the option is generally more favorable.

Anyway, the Gen VI news really shot down Zoroark's and especially Genesect's chances of making the game, in my opinion. Not that a Gen VI rep is likely at all. That's why I advocate Brawl roster + Mewtwo as far as Pokemon is concerned.

D

Deleted member

All of the Pokemon in Brawl and Mewtwo have withstood the test of time. Well, except Ivysaur, but he's part of a package deal. He was never really all that popular, even AFTER Brawl...

To even think that any would be replaced for one that was only "popular" for a limited time frame like Zoroark (and even then, was more expected than wanted due to the concept of Zoroark replacing Lucario because of the false belief that Lucario replaced Mewtwo) is crazy.
And also replacing Red, the first main character of the series who has appeared as a NPC in other titles with a different Trainer for the sake of giving each Generation a character, a concept that doesn't matter to Sakurai. That's crazy too.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Golden, I couldn't have said it better myself.

...and at least I like Ivysaur. My first Pokemon was a Bulbasaur, so it was nice to see Ivysaur playable. :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes, because as everyone has said time and time again, not every generation needs a playable representative. Why can't you seem to understand that?
I think saying "not every generation needs a playable representative" is such a cop-out. It's worse than boring. It's stagnant. Why do we have to play with the same Pokemon from 64/Melee/Brawl in SSB4? Why can't we get new Pokemon to play with in SSB4? You mean to tell me that we are denied the opportunity to play as brand-new, never-before-playable-in-Smash Pokemon just to play with the old Pokemon that we have already experienced with in 64/Melee/Brawl? Pokemon is a franchise where there is a constant influx of characters. Why cannot Smash reflect this in the playable roster, not just the Pokeball roster?

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. If the Smash conservatives are happy with keeping all the Pokemon from Brawl plus Mewtwo, there will be a backlash from Smash liberals who are upset that they didn't get any new Pokemon for SSB4 at all. Oh, but they should shut up because they did get new Pokemon popping out from Pokeballs, right? :rolleyes: And it is also unfair to the new Pokemon because they are denied the chance to get in the roster. At least the old Pokemon did have a chance in 64/Melee/Brawl, why cannot the new ones take SSB4 as an opportunity to shine?

I want to play as new Pokemon. If SSB4 denies me that opportunity, I will be upset. Oh, and what if there is a SSB5? Can I have new Pokemon then? Or do I have to keep playing with the same ones from 64/Melee/Brawl who were all in SSB4 just to ensure there's no backlash over cutting in SSB5? And by new Pokemon, I don't mean revamping the old Pokemon just so they can "feel" new. Sakurai might as well not add any new characters at all and simply revamp everyone from Brawl plus Mewtwo and Roy just so they all "feel" new in SSB4. :rolleyes:

When I buy SSB4, I expect a sequel not an expansion. For example, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire cut hundreds of Pokemon from Pokemon Red/Blue/Gold/Silver and added over a hundred of new Pokemon on top of several new features not in previous games. Pokemon Emerald kept nearly everyone from Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire and added a few new features and brought back dozens of old Pokemon from past games. Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire is a sequel. Pokemon Emerald is an expansion. That's what I want. A true sequel, not Melee: Special Edition or Brawl: Director's Cut.

All of the Pokemon in Brawl and Mewtwo have withstood the test of time. Well, except Ivysaur, but he's part of a package deal. He was never really all that popular, even AFTER Brawl...

To even think that any would be replaced for one that was only "popular" for a limited time frame like Zoroark (and even then, was more expected than wanted due to the concept of Zoroark replacing Lucario because of the false belief that Lucario replaced Mewtwo) is crazy.
And also replacing Red, the first main character of the series who has appeared as a NPC in other titles with a different Trainer for the sake of giving each Generation a character, a concept that doesn't matter to Sakurai. That's crazy too.
I mean it more to Lucario than anything, and the possibility of having a mostly Gen 1 roster.

Keep Red, sure, but that is it for Gen 1. Replace Lucario with a Gen 5 and use the other spot for something else.

At least try to be different.

D

Deleted member

-Pikachu
-Jigglypuff
-Pokemon Trainer (Brawl Version)
-Mewtwo
-Lucario

May be "boring," but it's in my opinion the most plausible, given today's events.
What makes you say that?

Today's events were certainly interesting, the most notable thing was that Nintendo announced a worldwide launch for Gen 6. You can bet they're gonna hype it to hell and back now. Not to mention, there are still several unanswered rumors floating around. Such as, who is the still unrevealed Pokemon from the Genesect Movie and what's with the possible new Eeveelution?

It very likely we'll see Gen 6 Pokemon in the new movie, reason being that now they're gonna hype the movie with the excuse that it has more info on the coveted Gen 6, I think that's were we'll see the new "posterchild" Pokemon for this Generation. Furthermore, with such an early launch for the Pokemon games, Nintendo's gonna put a lot of money and thought into the marketing for these games, they are Nintendo's biggest franchise after all. Also, they need to do something to hype these games up since the usual word of mouth of the internet from having them released in Japan first is no longer there, and the fact that they are still the first entries for a new console that not everyone owns still, and that is still (for some reason) putting some people off.

I feel it's likely we'll see another trailer for these games at this year's E3 for the sake of creating more hype for them, possibly even playable demos, which brings me to my next point, E3 will also be the best time to have a new Smash Bros trailer showcasing some newcomers. It's possible we'll see the movie's posterchild revealed during that trailer to create more hype for the games, however, if we DON'T see it during the E3 Smash Bros trailer, then it's very clear that there won't be a Gen 6 rep in Smash as a playable character.

From a marketing standpoint, that's the most likely way they'll handle this. However, that doesn't guarantee that a Gen 6 rep will be in Smash, from my point of view it's a 50/50 chance, there's a possibility we'll see it happen, but it's not guaranteed. Likewise, to assume at this point that it's not going to happen is absurd. You can only have a surefire answer by this year's E3.

All other arguments against a Gen 6 rep such as "Sakurai doesn't have time to program it in," or "It's not popular enough," are largely null and void. If GameFreak and Nintendo are working together to make sure the launch of these games is a worldwide success, then I can guarantee you they've pushed the idea of having the still unrevealed Gen 6 posterchild playable and ready to be showcased at E3. Whether Sakurai decides on it or not, is up to him. Still, this could very well end up being a similar scenario to that of Roy with Melee.

Like I said, it's not guaranteed, but it's possible, and in my opinion, likely. We'll find out by this E3 though.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The misconceptions flown around being why people are expecting stuff is flawed. It's looking into stuff that doesn't exist or is misread as something else entirely, which leads to flat joy in general. Granted some can be expected AND wanted like Palutena, in general only expecting things is very boring and controversial.

Chrom, Zoroark, and Pac-man are examples of expected but not wanted.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
The misconceptions flown around being why people are expecting stuff is flawed. It's looking into stuff that doesn't exist or is misread as something else entirely, which leads to flat joy in general. Granted some can be expected AND wanted like Palutena, in general only expecting things is very boring and controversial.

Chrom, Zoroark, and Pac-man are examples of expected but not wanted
but i want all of those characters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom