• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
i hope Hoenn trainer doesnt replace Kanto trainer. 1st gen starters are far more superior and that's barely an opinionated response. polls tend to agree with me.
I agree with you on that much! I hope Red returns! Brendan is alright i guess but nowhere near as iconic as Red!

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
It would be the Johto Trainer, not the Hoenn one.

If anything, Red could stay and Gold would be included alongside a Zoroark replacing Lucario.

Good battle for multiplayer and the story mode at Mt. Silver.
that'll never happen but yeah it would be kinda cool. but i highly doubt Red is getting replaced. like i said its more about popularity than anything else when dealing with Pokemon and Reds pokemon are still way more popular than the other gens. gen representation dont mean anything.

that'll never happen but yeah it would be kinda cool. but i highly doubt Red is getting replaced. like i said its more about popularity than anything else when dealing with Pokemon and Reds pokemon are still way more popular than the other gens. gen representation dont mean anything.
If so, change his Pokemon to Bulbasaur, Charmeleon, and Blastoise

No reason to keep it the same

However Gold/Ethan should be in instead with Chikorita, Quilava, and Feraligatr.

And if Gen representation meant nothing, we should not have got a 2nd Gen in Melee, the return of Gen 1 in Brawl, and Gen 4 in Brawl. :awesome:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion

However Gold/Ethan should be in instead with Chikorita, Quilava, and Feraligatr.

And if Gen representation meant nothing, we should not have got a 2nd Gen in Melee, the return of Gen 1 in Brawl, and Gen 4 in Brawl. :awesome:
Pichu was added to fill up the roster. he wasnt gonna be in the game at first but it was an easy clone material. Lucario got in because he was popular due to being one of the first pokemon revealed that gen and of course the movie. Red was added because like i said earlier those pokemon are more popular than the other gens

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
If a "Hoenn trainer" shows up, it won't be as a replacement for the Kanto PT. It'll probably be as a "Female PT" to add some gender balance and more types of Pokemon.

Pichu was added to fill up the roster. he wasnt gonna be in the game at first but it was an easy clone material. Lucario got in because he was popular due to being one of the first pokemon revealed that gen and of course the movie. Red was added because like i said earlier those pokemon are more popular than the other gens
Even so, they were there still representing THEIR gens.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yes I know there is all of the other things like stages and music but that doesn't mean the roster can't be in there either. Besides Pikachu and Jigglypuff we have never had the same Pokemon roster.

Mewtwo was just a very popular 1st Gen while Pichu was there for the 2nd Gen.

Red was there for the remakes of Gen 1 and Lucario was there for the 4th Gen.

What is going to make SSB4 so different? Especially with another remake and another gen?

Just wondering :awesome:
Mewtwo was cut for time in both 64 and Brawl. Is currently the most popular character for the next game beating out all newcomers, was also the only complaint people/reviewers had with Brawl's roster as a whole.

Pichu was added as a last minute filler character in order to buff up Melee's roster. Was the only cut character never planned for Brawl.

Red (as Satoshi) and the Pokemon he uses each placed high on the Melee Poll, Sakurai also mentioned that he wouldn't mind seeing Charizard becoming playable on the Melee Dojo. Red himself is the main character of the series while Charizard is unquestionably the most well known and popular Pokemon besides Pikachu.

Lucario is a very popular Pokemon due to it's character and has had significant roles in the series even after it's movie. Is one of the few, if not only Pokemon, since Gen 1 to stand out on it's own besides Legendaries and those with direct relations to Gen 1 (Pichu/Togepi). Was very well received for it's addition in Brawl.

If Sakurai cared about Generations the roster would be a lot different than what is already is (Ex. Pichu wouldn't have been cut, no Jigglypuff/Mewtwo/Red, would have a Gen 3 Pokemon playable).

All of the Pokemon in right now, like all of Brawl's roster, each have their own legitimate reasons for being in, that's not to say no Gen 5 Pokemon (which could be argued against for different reasons). Like Assist Trophies, Pokeballs are there to help represent what couldn't be included as playable to meet fan demand to some extent. Ex. All of the popularly demanded Pokemon from both Pre-Melee and Brawl were all added as either Trophies or Pokeballs.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Other than saving Sakurai from having to create three new movesets (I suppose Bulba and Ivy could be mostly the same) when he could be focusing on other newcomers especially since the Trainer's Pokemon are already fine as they are.

Plus Charizard is Charizard, he's ridiculously popular and replacing him with one of his pre-evos doesn't make much sense.

We got a 2nd Gen in Melee because Sakurai thought Pichu would make a better clone than Raichu, not because of Gen representation. Gen 1 newcomers got in Brawl because Gen 1 is far away the most iconic and popular Gen, the Pokemon Trainer is the protagonist of the Pokemon series, and the starters because they are clearly the most popular and iconic set of starters, not due to Gen representation. People seem to forget Lucario was the most popular and most requested feasible Pokemon for Brawl, so while his inclusion might in part be due to representing the most recent Gen, it's not like he didn't have many other merits as well. If representing every Gen was really important to Sakurai, he would've included a 3rd Gen in Brawl over a third (and potentially fourth) 1st Gen.

EDIT: I'm late, but what else is new? :rolleyes::laugh:

Other than saving Sakurai from having to create three new movesets (I suppose Bulba and Ivy could be mostly the same) when he could be focusing on other newcomers especially since the Trainer's Pokemon are already fine as they are.

Plus Charizard is Charizard, he's ridiculously popular and replacing him with one of his pre-evos doesn't make much sense.

We got a 2nd Gen in Melee because Sakurai thought Pichu would make a better clone than Raichu, not because of Gen representation. Gen 1 newcomers got in Brawl because Gen 1 is far away the most iconic and popular Gen, the Pokemon Trainer is the protagonist of the Pokemon series, and the starters because they are clearly the most popular and iconic set of starters, not due to Gen representation. People seem to forget Lucario was the most popular and most requested feasible Pokemon for Brawl, so while his inclusion might in part be due to representing the most recent Gen, it's not like he didn't have many other merits as well. If representing every Gen was really important to Sakurai, he would've included a 3rd Gen in Brawl over a third (and potentially fourth) 1st Gen.

I understand but it still looks like it, besides the lack of a 3rd gen (which could eventually be fixed if a remake is coming)

Also Gold shouldn't be totally counted out since 2nd Gen is a really liked gen too. :bee:

Mewtwo was cut for time in both 64 and Brawl. Is currently the most popular character for the next game beating out all newcomers, was also the only complaint people/reviewers had with Brawl's roster as a whole.

Pichu was added as a last minute filler character in order to buff up Melee's roster. Was the only cut character never planned for Brawl.

Red (as Satoshi) and the Pokemon he uses each placed high on the Melee Poll, Sakurai also mentioned that he wouldn't mind seeing Charizard becoming playable on the Melee Dojo. Red himself is the main character of the series while Charizard is unquestionably the most well known and popular Pokemon besides Pikachu.

Lucario is a very popular Pokemon due to it's character and has had significant roles in the series even after it's movie. Is one of the few, if not only Pokemon, since Gen 1 to stand out on it's own besides Legendaries and those with direct relations to Gen 1 (Pichu/Togepi). Was very well received for it's addition in Brawl.

If Sakurai cared about Generations the roster would be a lot different than what is already is (Ex. Pichu wouldn't have been cut, no Jigglypuff/Mewtwo/Red, would have a Gen 3 Pokemon playable).

All of the Pokemon in right now, like all of Brawl's roster, each have their own legitimate reasons for being in, that's not to say no Gen 5 Pokemon (which could be argued against for different reasons). Like Assist Trophies, Pokeballs are there to help represent what couldn't be included as playable to meet fan demand to some extent. Ex. All of the popularly demanded Pokemon from both Pre-Melee and Brawl were all added as either Trophies or Pokeballs.
I understand the whole point that the Pokeballs are there to rep the unrepped of the roster, but that doesn't mean the roster can't rep some of that too. Just saying.

ESPECIALLY GEN 5 XD

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I understand but it still looks like it, besides the lack of a 3rd gen (which could eventually be fixed if a remake is coming)
At this point a 3rd gen would only be added once Mewtwo and a rep from the newest gen are added, and Game Freak for some reason decides to stop making new gens, but still remakes the 3rd gen. Face it, the 3rd gen has missed its chance. It's very possible the 5th gen will too.

Also Gold shouldn't be totally counted out since 2nd Gen is a really liked gen too. :bee:
As liked as the 1st Gen starters? No. As liked as Mewtwo? No. As liked as Lucario? No. As liked as Zoroark? Maybe, but not requested nearly as much.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Oops sorry. :laugh:

Anyway if none of this starts getting through or people start getting curious I'll start digging up some of the links in the Directory thread, but until then we only have 20 minutes before the site shuts down and then goes read only for a couple hours. Hopefully we can start discussing whatever the new Pokemon news is in the morning.

[COLLAPSE="Anyway to end on a fun note:"]
ToiseOfChoice said:
Pokemon in general: This is a big series with a lot of good-but-not-mandatory choices all over. Frankly, Sakurai could pick a bunch of popular Pokemon out of a hat and still do good here, so long as he included Pikachu and PT. It's certainly been the most flexible series thus far.

So yeah, expect whatever the hell you feel like, you might be right anyway. This is really more of a hunch thread.

*** Regarding cuts ***

First, I endorse the idea that Mewtwo was cut out of necessity and Pichu because meh. Also that Jiggs would've been one of the next out of the door if there were more cuts, though not THE next. Pretty sure most of us have gone over the reasons why, so inquire within if you're still curious.

At this point, any future cuts would be due to time, and Pokemon characters tend to be good choices for cuts on the basis of volume.

Whatever, I'm an Ivysaur fan.

*** Mewtwo ***

The only character to be planned for all three games and miss two of them due to time, as far as we know anyway. Also overwhelmingly popular, kind of a dying breed by this point.

*** Lucario ***

He's been well-received, I think Sakurai would prefer to have him stay.

*** Jiggs ***

Sure, why not. Now whar's me toothpick?

*** Pokemon Trainer ***

Lots of people suggest changing either the Trainer, the Pokemon, or both. I can't recall a time when someone suggested this without the claim that we need more stuff from anything other than the first generation. I also can't recall a more shallow argument for such a significant change, but maybe I've been ignoring ****** City for too long. Who knows.

*** 5th Gen Pokemon ***

The only reason I don't have one listed is because I'm not seeing any strong standouts compared to any Brawl characters or Mewtwo. Try to imagine a scenario where Sakurai feels it'd be better to simply bring back those guys and focus on other series. That's what I'm leaning toward, though it's also probably the most likely prediction I'm making about Smash that I'd be wrong about. Meh.

As for which ones... well sorry, I don't care. I'm guessing Sakurai will ask TPC for an idea if he's interested. Actually, something that isn't large and ferocious or small and cute would be nice. More Ivysaurs, yeah.

**** Everything Else ****

Another Trainer: I'd like to think people here realize why a second individual trainer (more or less the same as Red) would be a bad idea. Now a female PT alt costume, THAT'S a keeper.

Previous Gen Pokemon: No indication of interest from Sakurai or TPC, and who would they pick anyway? Your personal favorite, right?

6+ Gen Pokemon: Betting all of my hair in a beautiful Toise wig on the roster being decided well before a new generation shows up.

Pichu: I like him as an alt costume (and yes, he DOES fit). No sign of interest in bringing him back for Brawl, so I'm more than willing to bet against him showing up.

Plusle & Minun: a-hyuck
[/COLLAPSE]

I'm out. :cool:

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Yeah, the PT's pokemon were chosen because they sort of each had their own popularity individuality:

Charizard was Charizard, the favorite Pokemon of people who were once 8 year-olds who got into Pokemon through the TCG.
Squirtle was popular from the Anime.
And while Ivysaur wasn't particularly popular on it's own, the Bulbasaur line is pretty popular, and since the other two were a Stage 1 and a final evolution, having the middle evolution was a sensible move.

Similarly, if a Hoenn trainer went in, their roster would probably be Mudkip, Grovyle and Blaziken. Blaziken and Mudkip are/were popular Pokemon in their own right, and Grovyle would be a sensible step in between.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Yeah, the PT's pokemon were chosen because they sort of each had their own popularity individuality:

Charizard was Charizard, the favorite Pokemon of 8 year-olds who got into Pokemon through the TCG.
Squirtle was popular from the Anime.
And while Ivysaur wasn't particularly popular on it's own, the Bulbasaur line is pretty popular, and since the other two were a Stage 1 and a final evolution, having the middle evolution was a sensible move.

Similarly, if a Hoenn trainer went in, their roster would probably be Mudkip, Grovyle and Blaziken. Blaziken and Mudkip are/were popular Pokemon in their own right, and Grovyle would be a sensible step in between.
but i hate Mudkips. i'd rather have Treeko

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I haven't interacted with Toise on here, but from what I've seen, he knows his stuff very well. That sums up Pokemon for ssb4 rather simply.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Anyway if none of this starts getting through or people start getting curious I'll start digging up some of the links in the Directory thread, but until then we only have 20 minutes before the site shuts down and then goes read only for a couple hours. Hopefully we can start discussing whatever the new Pokemon news is in the morning.

I'm out. :cool:
I'm pretty sure we still have a ways to go before 1PM ET. :smirk::p

ToiseOfChoice said:
6+ Gen Pokemon: Betting all of my hair in a beautiful Toise wig on the roster being decided well before a new generation shows up.
There's a chance we might get to call Toise on this. :awesome:

But why not have gens II-IV serve as Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon? Piplup, Bayleef, and Blaziken. The biggest issue I can see with this is to actually select a Pokemon Trainer to span three generations.
Maybe just a Pokemon Trainer that has alt characters for all 5 (6) generations?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But why not have gens II-IV serve as Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon? Piplup, Bayleef, and Blaziken. The biggest issue I can see with this is to actually select a Pokemon Trainer to span three generations.
Well, it's a good selection of Pokemon, and it would be a good way of representing three generations. That said, it's clear that Sakurai does not much care about having every generation represented, it would either replace much more iconic and popular Pokemon (1st gen starters) or would copy the existing Trainer's gimmick (depending on if you envisioned this trainer replacing the current one or in addition to the current one), and it would be a fairly time-consuming character, when other potential Pokemon additions (like Mewtwo, Zoroark, or keeping Lucario) would be much easier to implement, and are much more popular.

However, if we hypothetically did get a second trainer (which I'm personally against), those three would be a pretty good choice.

Maybe just a Pokemon Trainer that has alt characters for all 5 (6) generations?
Like a character where you could switch between 5 or 6 characters? Any more than three seems like overkill. Especially if Sakurai refuses to ditch the fatigue mechanic. :glare:

Plus the character would be a disaster competitively.

EDIT: If you just mean alt. costumes for the Trainer from every Gen, I could get behind that idea.

Well, it's a good selection of Pokemon, and it would be a good way of representing three generations. That said, it's clear that Sakurai does not much care about having every generation represented, it would either replace much more iconic and popular Pokemon (1st gen starters) or would copy the existing Trainer's gimmick (depending on if you envisioned this trainer replacing the current one or in addition to the current one), and it would be a fairly time-consuming character, when other potential Pokemon additions (like Mewtwo, Zoroark, or keeping Lucario) would be much easier to implement, and are much more popular.

However, if we hypothetically did get a second trainer (which I'm personally against), those three would be a pretty good choice.

Like a character where you could switch between 5 or 6 characters? Any more than three seems like overkill. Especially if Sakurai refuses to ditch the fatigue mechanic. :glare:

Plus the character would be a disaster competitively.

EDIT: If you just mean alt. costumes for the Trainer from every Gen, I could get behind that idea.
Yep, alt costumes/characters where you switch out the trainer and the Pokemon will switch too. If this happened, they would need universal move-sets for the same move-set could work for Blaziken and Charizard or others.

And different costumes based off the trainer. Like Gold would have normal Gen 2 while Silver would have dark or Crystal would have ones with accessories. Red would have normal Gen 1s and Blue would have ones with accessories. May would have normal Gen 3 while Brendon has ones accessories. Etc.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Yep, alt costumes/characters where you switch out the trainer and the Pokemon will switch too. If this happened, they would need universal move-sets for the same move-set could work for Blaziken and Charizard or others.

And different costumes based off the trainer. Like Gold would have normal Gen 2 while Silver would have dark or Crystal would have ones with accessories. Red would have normal Gen 1s and Blue would have ones with accessories. May would have normal Gen 3 while Brendon has ones accessories. Etc.
that seems like way more work than its worth.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
As far as a second Pokemon Trainer goes I too am against the idea, however, the main argument is whether or not Sakurai believes it is important to have generation representation on the roster where Pokeballs/stickers/trophies might be good enough.

If generation representation would be considered important I would like the suggested three to replace the current three. If not, then oh wells.

matter of opinion. but speaking from an animation standpoint characters like Ivysaur and Grovyle can not be interchanged via costume swaps due to their body shapes.
Either limit to universal grass/water/fire type moves or limit to a few gens

The first can be done, the fire type would be the main challenge to face.

The second one could give us 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Either limit to universal grass/water/fire type moves and limit to a few gens

The first can be done, the fire type would be the main challenge to face.

The second one could give us 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen
your only thinking in moveset. think in animations. Grovyle, Bayleaf and Ivysaur do not have the same body shapes and cannot be interchangeable in such a fashion. likewise neither can Charizard, Typhlosion or Blazikin. the waters are the only ones who can maybe pull it off and thats even pushing it.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
your only thinking in moveset. think in animations. Grovyle, Bayleaf and Ivysaur do not have the same body shapes and cannot be interchangeable in such a fashion. likewise neither can Charizard, Typhlosion or Blazikin. the waters are the only ones who can maybe pull it off and thats even pushing it.
Well technically you could end up with things like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZDgjjDnWLM

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

And different costumes based off the trainer. Like Gold would have normal Gen 2 while Silver would have dark or Crystal would have ones with accessories. Red would have normal and Blue would have accessories. May would have normal while Brendon has accessories. Etc.
So... you're asking for a Trainer, with... what seems to be at least 13 different models (Blue, Silver, Barry, Hugh etc. aren't the Pokemon Trainer) with Pokemon who have a total of at least 5 different models and 60 different colour/outfit options (3 Pokemon from each Gen with at least 4 alt. colour/outfits each)... in one character.

[COLLAPSE="Seriously?"]
[/COLLAPSE]
kikaru said:
As far as a second Pokemon Trainer goes I too am against the idea, however, the main argument is whether or not Sakurai believes it is important to have generation representation on the roster where Pokeballs/stickers/trophies might be good enough.

If generation representation would be considered important I would like the suggested three to replace the current three. If not, then oh wells.
Like I said before, if Sakurai thought it was important to have a rep from every gen, he wouldn't have prioritized adding a third (and hypothetically fourth) 1st gen before even one 3rd gen.

So... you're asking for a Trainer, with... what seems to be at least 13 different models (Blue, Silver, Barry, Hugh etc. aren't the Pokemon Trainer) with Pokemon who have a total of at least 5 different models and 60 different colour/outfit options (3 Pokemon from each Gen with at least 4 alt. colour/outfits each)... in one character.

[COLLAPSE="Seriously?"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Like I said before, if Sakurai thought it was important to have a rep from every gen, he wouldn't have prioritized adding a third (and hypothetically fourth) 1st gen before even one 3rd gen.
I think it is possible, if even they had to limit to the first three gens.

Changing the trainer would be cool and all, but if they are all using the Gen 1 or Gen 2 starters, what is the point? To see May using Charizard or Ethan using Squirtle.

When the trainer changes, so should the Pokemon. At least somewhat.

It is not like it is impossible.

Edit: If the Pokemon did have to stay one Gen, at least costumes should affect the Pokemon too. Like Ethan having accessories or May using shinies. Stuff like that. At least make the Pokemon look different for each instead of just seeing a different trainer in the background.

D

Deleted member

When I wake up, I hope that we get some exciting announcements out of Pokémon and not just a Black & White 3.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think it is possible, if even they had to limit to the first three gens.
Can you really see Bayleef and Grovyle being able to have the same moveset?

Changing the trainer would be cool and all, but if they are all using the Gen 1 or Gen 2 starters, what is the point? To see May using Charizard or Ethan using Squirtle.
Because despite what you think, we won't be getting model swaps for other Pokemon, but model swaps for other protagonists is possible, so it's better than nothing. And it's not like Trainers can't use Pokemon from a generation different than theirs.

It is not like it is impossible.
No, it's not impossible (though some of those Pokemon model swaps really wouldn't work well), very little is actually impossible in Smash, but it's not going to happen.

Anyway, you seem to think that just because something isn't impossible it should be presented as a perfectly possible option, when in reality, it is far from likely and far from a good idea (the characters would be severely limited if they all had to be made to fit multiple characters with totally different proportions), so I don't really have much left to add. You can keep holding on to your idea if you want, but again, it's not going to happen.

Can you really see Bayleef and Grovyle being able to have the same moveset?

Because despite what you think, we won't be getting model swaps for other Pokemon, but model swaps for other protagonists is possible, so it's better than nothing. And it's not like Trainers can't use Pokemon from a generation different than theirs.

No, it's not impossible (though some of those Pokemon model swaps really wouldn't work well), very little is actually impossible in Smash, but it's not going to happen.

Anyway, you seem to think that just because something isn't impossible it should be presented as a perfectly possible option, when in reality, it is far from likely and far from a good idea (the characters would be severely limited if they all had to be made to fit multiple characters with totally different proportions), so I don't really have much left to add. You can keep holding on to your idea if you want, but again, it's not going to happen.
I did do an edit saying maybe cutting down a little or at least change the costume of the Pokemon.

Like this, lets say the trainer is still Gen 1 Pokemon. Alt character costumes would do this:

-Red (Standard Look)
-Green ("Girly" Accessories, like Ivysaur with a bow)
-Gold ("Cool" Accessories, like Squirtle with sunglasses)
-Crystal ("Tomboy" Accessories, like Charizard with a hat)
-May (Shiny Pokemon)
-Brendon (Dark Pokemon)

Stuff like that. Not different Pokemon, but they all have their own looks.

Edit: Also I don't want that multiple trainer and Pokemon idea either, I was just throwing it out there. Maybe we should just have 2 trainers (1st and 2nd Gens).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom