• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Whether or not any new Gen. VI mascot becomes playable depends on a number of factors, including character slots, Mewtwo/Lucario being more popular, and the Pokemon Company.

However, now, anyone arguing against the new mascot can't simply dismiss it because it won't be current when SSB4 is released, as was the case with Zoroark.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Ideally, this would be our trailer:
Ridley
King K. Rool
Mewtwo's Return
Mega Man
Little Mac

The first four are the most popular requests for SSB4. Little Mac would represent a new series. It would bring hype up to the roof.

@DragonSniperNintendo: I am confident that we are not going to see less than seven Pokémons (transformation included) and I don't see Pokémon getting four or five newcomers this game. What I especially don't see is a complete overhaul of the Pokémon roster.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ridley
King K. Rool
Mewtwo's Return
Mega Man
Little Mac

The first four are the most popular requests for SSB4. Little Mac would represent a new series. It would bring hype up to the roof.
That would be predictable unfortunately, since people have been booming everywhere for those characters, it would be exciting. But it wouldn't bring my hype up.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i dont see the Pokemon Trainer getting changed at all even if a Ruby/Saphire remake comes. gens obviously havent mattered in the past and the Kanto trainers Pokemon are way more popular than the Hoenn trainers.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
That trailer would single-handedly convince me to purchase a Wii U for Smash. But I don't know...at least a few of those characters ought to be saved for later, just to space the hype out a little more. We're still two or more years away from an actual release, remember.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
i dont see the Pokemon Trainer getting changed at all even if a Ruby/Saphire remake comes. gens obviously havent mattered in the past and the Kanto trainers Pokemon are way more popular than the Hoenn trainers.
I sure hope that's true, Red is awesome! Probably one of the most popular trainers as far as the series goes. (Not including anime)

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I sure hope that's true, Red is awesome! Probably one of the most popular trainers as far as the series goes. (Not including anime)

In the Pokemon World Tournament portion of BW2, only Red appears out of the past Player Characters. A testament to his popularity and iconicness. He's basically Ash Ketchum without the stupidity.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Not sure if this hints anything but yet its interesting:

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/287940481814523905
There's gotta been an Eeveelution tomorrow now, otherwise they're just being mean. :laugh:

That trailer would single-handedly convince me to purchase a Wii U for Smash. But I don't know...at least a few of those characters ought to be saved for later, just to space the hype out a little more. We're still two or more years away from an actual release, remember.
Agreed. While it's probably pretty likely we get all those characters that SSBF mentioned, I doubt they'll all be in the reveal trailer, especially Mewtwo. That would be showing all of the most requested characters too soon, so my guess is we'll probably see ~3 of them in the trailer (Ridley, Little Mac, and Mega Man seem the more likely options), and the other two will be revealed later, though I suspect Mewtwo would be unlockable. K. Rool might be as well, I think he could go either way (though they would lose out on the promotion he would bring if they choose to keep him locked).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
These are who I think might show up on the trailer.

Toad - to appeal kids who played New Super Mario Bros. games, Mario fans, casual gamers who knows a bit about Mario games on the surface

Little Mac - to appeal the older fans (in the West) of the NES game, Nintendo nerds, boxing fans in general, and old-fashioned Americans

Takamaru - to appeal the older fans (in Japan) of the NES game, Nintendo nerds, fans of samurais and martial arts, and Wapanese Americans

Palutena - to entice teen boys, provide cheesecake for adult men, and give little girls another "Nintendo Princess" to go with Peach and Zelda

Mega Man - to appease the Mega Man fanbase, to generate hype

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I still like my idea for a trailer:

It's a day on the Golf Links, and all the luminaries of the Mushroom World are there: MARIO! LUIGI! PEACH! BOWSER! YOSHI! DONKEY KONG! KIRBY! PIKACHU! LINK!

Wait, Kirby, Pikachu and Link? OMG, this isn't Mario Golf U, it's SUPER SMASH BROTHERS 4 (WORKING TITLE)!!!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
These are who I think might show up on the trailer.

Toad - to appeal kids who played New Super Mario Bros. games, Mario fans, casual gamers who knows a bit about Mario games on the surface

Little Mac - to appeal the older fans (in the West) of the NES game, Nintendo nerds, boxing fans in general, and old-fashioned Americans

Takamaru - to appeal the older fans (in Japan) of the NES game, Nintendo nerds, fans of samurais and martial arts, and Wapanese Americans

Palutena - to entice teen boys, provide cheesecake for adult men, and give little girls another "Nintendo Princess" to go with Peach and Zelda

Mega Man - to appease the Mega Man fanbase, to generate hype
It also helps that Melee and Brawl's first four newcomers revealed had one girl in the bunch. In fact, that's pretty much the norm.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Ok caught up in this thread again andd i gotta couple questions for ya'll YES! Its the infamous ''Phazon question game'' That i always do and you live to participate in.

Only 2 Question this time though..

Do you think they will turn the whole Roy and Mewtwo basicly Melee or possibly if it happens brawl scrapped/cut chars as a story in the campaign? Like After Melee but Before Brawl in the Smash world i dunno master hand banished those chars from the smash world to never return for whatever reason you find out in the story and they come back for vengance? I know its increibly cheesy but a weired unique plot none of the less.

1.Do you think this is a good idea

2. Do you think it will happen if those Scrapped/Cut chars return?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Also although by E3 2013 Sm4sh will indeed be in longer develoment then the past installments but dont forget that there making two new Smashes at once.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think the reason why the story mode in Brawl failed is the same reason why Link shouldn't talk. Fans have their own headcanon.

D

Deleted member

Ok caught up in this thread again andd i gotta couple questions for ya'll YES! Its the infamous ''Phazon question game'' That i always do and you live to participate in.

Only 2 Question this time though..

Do you think they will turn the whole Roy and Mewtwo basicly Melee or possibly if it happens brawl scrapped/cut chars as a story in the campaign? Like After Melee but Before Brawl in the Smash world i dunno master hand banished those chars from the smash world to never return for whatever reason you find out in the story and they come back for vengance? I know its increibly cheesy but a weired unique plot none of the less.

1.Do you think this is a good idea

2. Do you think it will happen if those Scrapped/Cut chars return?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Also although by E3 2013 Sm4sh will indeed be in longer develoment then the past installments but dont forget that there making two new Smashes at once.

Cut characters shouldn't be added into any form of canon, teasing fans about characters getting banished will only make them more vocal.

Not to mention Story mode a ****. I'd like something more like an expanded version of Melee's Adventure mode, with rival battles and the like.

Anyway, as far as trailers go, I think we'll get something more like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP_4gYkGYlQ

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think the reason why the story mode in Brawl failed is the same reason why Link shouldn't talk. Fans have their own headcanon.

Headcannon got nothing to do with it. The plot was devastatingly generic with OC villains and mooks that no one cares about. Replace the characters with OC ones and it would be spit on harder than Sonic '06. The story mode could've been a great way of exploring the characters' personalities, especially in how they interact with other characters, but we got nothing more than stupid miming. And let's not forget that the levels were so boring and painfully simple. No strategy in beating many monsters or bosses aside from avoiding this or that attack on occasion.

If we get story mode though, it needs to be like a mix of Melee's Adventure Mode and BlazBlue's wonderful story mode.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Headcannon got nothing to do with it. The plot was devastatingly generic with OC villains and mooks that no one cares about. Replace the characters with OC ones and it would be spit on harder than Sonic '06. The story mode could've been a great way of exploring the characters' personalities, especially in how they interact with other characters, but we got nothing more than stupid miming. And let's not forget that the levels were so boring and painfully simple. No strategy in beating many monsters or bosses aside from avoiding this or that attack on occasion.

If we get story mode though, it needs to be like a mix of Melee's Adventure Mode and BlazBlue's wonderful story mode.
tl;dr Subspace Emissary didn't match with what I had in mind (headcanon)

D

Deleted member

The story is one of the best parts of BlazBlue, thing is, I don't think it would work for Smash. It works with BB since all the characters are original and have unique personalities that blend very well with each other, this is not so much the case in Smash where you have at least 5 villains that are just evil for the sake of being evil.

Not to mention BB borrows a lot from folklore and the like to make its story and they also have a lot of stuff dealing with Time Travel, I don't think Smash could work well with that.

However, the "story mode" should be more character specific like BB and every other fighter out there, rather than a general story mode.

I feel that would be the best, just expand on the adventure mode and give them all some general coherence. Borrow from both, just don't make all the platforming a clone of Kirby, that was ****ing lame and uninspired.

Oh, and I agree on the "ORIGINAL CONTENT DO NOT STEAL" characters, Tabuu was the only decent one. Instead give us enemies from the canon.

If they're gonna do it, they should do something more like the DC Universe crossovers, where the different Universes are colliding with each other, and characters from other games are having to venture through unfamiliar places. Like Link fighting hoards of Metroids, Ike saving Hyrule, so on and so forth. Maybe once you clear all the story modes, you get a Final Story mode where you fight Tabuu or some ****. But it should be short and concise like the Melee Adventure mode and stuff.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Plus its soo much easier to just go with Adventure Mode 2.0
Tryna perfect a story mode of 40+ chars and
make it good is like tryna make a roster that no one would get butthurt over.. ''It's Impossible'

They even said before Smash doesnt need a story and no they have gone down that route its not gonna lead anywhere good...

Also **** Tabuu im pretty sure more people dislike him then like him.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Both Adventure modes sucked, Melee's was repetitive while SSE was uninspired.

The Story is going to be "out there" even if set in the Mushroom Kingdom, like some sort of bad fan fiction.

To save it, and the mode itself, the story will need to rely on clever nods to the characters pasts to keep things fresh (Make us laugh!/Feel the Nostalgia). Honestly the best part of SSE was watching all the Sci-Fi characters use their ships to take down that Giant Subspace Cannon, that's what we need more of, heck throughout the whole mode in general.

Take the iconic Nintendo locations that Melee had, use the variety of stages (which I mean loosely, it definitely needs some better platforming which Nintendo Locations could provide), the generic enemies (cause not every series can provide enemies and it offers more flexibility and variety, not that we shouldn't have stomping on Koopas), a final boss that represents the coming together of all these iconic franchises (something bigger than any one series, like Master Hand or Tabuu if SSE had a better story), and the fabulous cut-scenes of SSE and we'll be golden.

tldr: Look at what I highlighted.

EDIT: We also need more Palutena-like cameos. Also having Assist Trophies and Pokeballs as items for use.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
EDIT:
The original article:
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=193851
The announcement is, more or less, a love letter to the franchise. It's being called Pokemon Rainbow, a 3DS game that encompasses the settings and Pokemon from generations 1-4: Red and Blue, Gold and Silver, Ruby and Sapphire, and Diamond and Pearl. You can take my word for it that the graphics are done up very nicely. The perspective is similar to what you'd expect from Pokemon games, but the camera is much more dynamic. The graphical style is characterized by very clean, dark lines. Almost cartoonish, but not quite. Battles look radically different, and move away from the use of pixel art. Though it seems that the interface is still made of pixels. The battle that it shown is between a totally new trainer and a wild Weedle. The trainer uses a Pikachu.

I'm not privy to any story details, as I only know what will be announced tomorrow. The story is concurrent with Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2 in terms of timeline. There are over 20 new Pokemon, and two will be revealed tomorrow. One is an evolution of an older Pokemon Eevee, called Draconeon. The other is a totally new Pokemon, called Verbill. It looks like a rodent, much like the Pokemon Patrat, but has a sort of pirate theme going on.

A Wii U app will be launched along with the game, which will be announced tomorrow. However, all that will be said is that the app will be addressed "at a later date". The logo for the app features a globe with Pikachu, Munna, Treeko, Cyndaquil, and Piplup popping out from various countries.
Anyways, the story mode should be solely for each character to bring out more nostalgia.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
To be fair, the only way to have a story mode is to either have it be like SSE where everyone is basically a "Smash" version of themselves or some type of Crisis on Infinite Earths-style story.

And I'm reasonably sure that we've dismissed the "Pokemon Rainbow" as being almost certainly false.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The story is one of the best parts of BlazBlue, thing is, I don't think it would work for Smash. It works with BB since all the characters are original and have unique personalities that blend very well with each other, this is not so much the case in Smash where you have at least 5 villains that are just evil for the sake of being evil.

Not to mention BB borrows a lot from folklore and the like to make its story and they also have a lot of stuff dealing with Time Travel, I don't think Smash could work well with that.

However, the "story mode" should be more character specific like BB and every other fighter out there, rather than a general story mode.

I feel that would be the best, just expand on the adventure mode and give them all some general coherence. Borrow from both, just don't make all the platforming a clone of Kirby, that was ****ing lame and uninspired.

Oh, and I agree on the "ORIGINAL CONTENT DO NOT STEAL" characters, Tabuu was the only decent one. Instead give us enemies from the canon.

If they're gonna do it, they should do something more like the DC Universe crossovers, where the different Universes are colliding with each other, and characters from other games are having to venture through unfamiliar places. Like Link fighting hoards of Metroids, Ike saving Hyrule, so on and so forth. Maybe once you clear all the story modes, you get a Final Story mode where you fight Tabuu or some ****. But it should be short and concise like the Melee Adventure mode and stuff.
Oh no, I'm not saying that there'd be a BlazBlue story with Smash characters. Rather, I'm talking about how it was presented. Going with a visual novel approach would be really good for something like this.

D

Deleted member

EDIT:
The original article:
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=193851

Anyways, the story mode should be solely for each character to bring out more nostalgia.
Oh God, that sounds awful and I certainly hope it's not true. It sounds like the dream game on paper, but it would be an absolutely terrible game. 5 regions in one game? All the Pokemon? No thanks. When will Pokemon fans get it through their head that a Pokemon game with all the regions in it would be incredibly long, boring, and bad?

To be fair, the only way to have a story mode is to either have it be like SSE where everyone is basically a "Smash" version of themselves or some type of Crisis on Infinite Earths-style story.

And I'm reasonably sure that we've dismissed the "Pokemon Rainbow" as being almost certainly false.
I think that having the characters take on a different personality from their canon one in Smash Bros, ruins the concept of having them be in the game in the first place as it's really not them, it just looks like them.

One thing I particularly hated about SSE is how pissed off Mario always seemed to be.

Oh no, I'm not saying that there'd be a BlazBlue story with Smash characters. Rather, I'm talking about how it was presented. Going with a visual novel approach would be really good for something like this.
I could go for a visual novel approach as well, just as long as it isn't as text heavy as BlazBlue. Cutscenes are overrated imo, pictures and artwork can get the job done as far as the in between stuff goes just fine, and sometimes even better than lame cut-scenes can. In fact, I'd like it if the story played out as you played the game. Like, you could find small things to read and other similar clues, or see events happen in the background that described what was going on when you weren't there to witness it. Then when you put it all together, you get some sort of story. That sort of game design is much more intuitive and clever than having a boring movie shoved down your throat.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I would like a visual novel style, since it could be a great opportunity for interactions between characters. I mean from the prospective of "what if x interacted with y", which could lead to some memorable moments.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
wouldn't be a bad idea... hmm... kinda remembers me of Fire Emblem.

maybe having something reminiscent of FE's support conversation system.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I could go for a visual novel approach as well, just as long as it isn't as text heavy as BlazBlue. Cutscenes are overrated imo, pictures and artwork can get the job done as far as the in between stuff goes just fine, and sometimes even better than lame cut-scenes can. In fact, I'd like it if the story played out as you played the game. Like, you could find small things to read and other similar clues, or see events happen in the background that described what was going on when you weren't there to witness it. Then when you put it all together, you get some sort of story. That sort of game design is much more intuitive and clever than having a boring movie shoved down your throat.
Sounds an awful lot like how Metroid Prime's story played out. One idea I've had is that all the worlds are all blended together and you've got a hunter (with Duck Hunt Dog) looking to make trophies out of all the characters just like in The Most Dangerous Game.

D

Deleted member

Well Metroid Prime is certainly an example. But there are a number if RPGs that do it as well. Since we're citing visual novels as an example how about adding branching paths and multiple endings? Well, on second thought, with a roster of about 50 it's a bit of a stretch.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The multiple ending and branch path thing might be a bad idea; I'd be like Shadow the Hedgehog but at least about 32 times more tedious (which is saying a lot actually).

But I think the potential of a visual novel style could give some characters some personality.

D

Deleted member

The multiple ending and branch path thing might be a bad idea; I'd be like Shadow the Hedgehog but at least about 32 times more tedious (which is saying a lot actually).

But I think the potential of a visual novel style could give some characters some personality.
Oh God, Shadow the Hedgehog... I can't even remember how that game handled the branching paths. Anyway, adding branches just means extra thought and programming and it isn't necessary, unless it was done for gags. Which would be cool actually, Brawl's SSE was a bit too serious.

Visual novel style would be great the more I think about it, this way they don't need to focus too much on Voice acting, and can still allow speech capable characters to talk, thus fleshing out their personalities more, and characters that don't talk like Mario and Link can remain silent (well Mario can talk with his usual "Let'sa Go" and "Okey-dokey") Like if we go for the DC Crisis type story, having Marth get transported to Takamaru's world and seeing them interact with each other, that would be cool. Then they hop over to another world and meet other characters. But it's all played through the perspective of the character you chose. The end of the story mode ends on a cliffhanger and when you clear all the story modes you get the True Ending, where it's like SSE minus the ****ty maze. I'd like it more if it was like MegaMan/Zelda where you get a Boss Rush Mode and a difficult stage leading to the final boss or something similar.

Anyone here ever watch Kamen Rider Decade? That whole thing where he hops to different worlds helping other Riders, and fighting others and seeing some riders form alliances and others form Rivalries, that could work for Smash. Some sort of story where Master Hand/Tabuu/Final Boss Sakurai is making all the worlds clash to create chaos or something would be cool.

Ike could the thrown into a Link-less Hyrule forced to help Zelda defeat Ganondorf, who then gets away to try and gain the power of whatever is causing this for himself, etc...

Samus could get tossed into Snake's World, and they both meet Kirby and Falcon later on.

Mario into Sonic's, so on and so forth.

On the other hand, they could make it so that the ending to each story mode is character specific. So if you for example fight Ganon with Ike and win, well then according to Ike's story Ganon is defeated, if you are playing as Ganondorf, and win, then Ike and Zelda are defeated and he continues his path.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That reminds me. I'd like to see a Tekken type approach to the Classic endings this time around. They don't necessarily have to be connected to the storyline or there may be smaller storylines with smaller ones here and there for various reasons. Just as an example with Tekken Tag 2, some characters are grouped with similar endings. For example:

1. Michelle, Jaycee (Julia), King, Marduk, Armor King, and Ganryu
2. Alisa, Kuma, Miharu, Panda, and Xiaoyu.
3. Jin, Kazuya, Devil Jin, Unknown
4. Leo and Steve

Also, I'd like them to be in GOOD CG and be willing to try different approaches for telling the stories.

Ridley
King K. Rool
Mewtwo's Return
Mega Man
Little Mac

@DragonSniperNintendo: I am confident that we are not going to see less than seven Pokémons (transformation included) and I don't see Pokémon getting four or five newcomers this game. What I especially don't see is a complete overhaul of the Pokémon roster.
We do need a roster to represent the return of 2nd Gen and the 5th Gen though. If not, it doesn't represent where the series is currently at.

D

Deleted member

We do need a roster to represent the return of 2nd Gen and the 5th Gen though. If not, it doesn't represent where the series is currently at.
There are other ways to represent 2nd Gen and 5th Gen other than playable characters. Stages, music, Pokéball, trophies, etc. All of these can represent both gen well without the need for a playable character.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Oh jeez, where are you people getting this 'we must add more playable Pokèmon to represent the unaccounted-for generations' mentality?

Like I said before: There is a reason for the pokèball item.

There are other ways to represent 2nd Gen and 5th Gen other than playable characters. Stages, music, Pokéball, trophies, etc. All of these can represent both gen well without the need for a playable character.
Yes I know there is all of the other things like stages and music but that doesn't mean the roster can't be in there either. Besides Pikachu and Jigglypuff we have never had the same Pokemon roster.

Mewtwo was just a very popular 1st Gen while Pichu was there for the 2nd Gen.

Red was there for the remakes of Gen 1 and Lucario was there for the 4th Gen.

What is going to make SSB4 so different? Especially with another remake and another gen?

Just wondering :awesome:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i hope Hoenn trainer doesnt replace Kanto trainer. 1st gen starters are far more superior and that's barely an opinionated response. polls tend to agree with me.

i hope Hoenn trainer doesnt replace Kanto trainer. 1st gen starters are far more superior and that's barely an opinionated response. polls tend to agree with me.
It would be the Johto Trainer, not the Hoenn one.

If anything, Red could stay and Gold would be included alongside a Zoroark replacing Lucario.

Good battle for multiplayer and the story mode at Mt. Silver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom