• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm sure we'll get something at E3 this year. Smash 4 has been in development for longer than Brawl has correct?

Also, if anybody feels like it, I've recently typed up a blog on Snake and Sonic's inclusion in Smash 4. Just a lot of ideas going through my mind about that subject:awesome:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm sure we'll get something at E3 this year. Smash 4 has been in development for longer than Brawl has correct?

Also, if anybody feels like it, I've recently typed up a blog on Snake and Sonic's inclusion in Smash 4. Just a lot of ideas going through my mind about that subject:awesome:
Well, when you stop and think about it... wasn't Brawl already in development for over a year before it was shown at E3 2006? If Sakurai started working on SSB4 since April 2012 (about a month after Uprising came out), then I think we MIGHT see something at E3 2013 because it will have been over a year by then.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
By the time E3 2013 comes around, the new game would of been in development for roughly 1 year and 4 months. This is a very good amount of time to at least show something off. For comparison, we got our first trailer for Super Smash Bros. Brawl after 10 months of development.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well, when you stop and think about it... wasn't Brawl already in development for over a year before it was shown at E3 2006? If Sakurai started working on SSB4 since April 2012 (about a month after Uprising came out), then I think we MIGHT see something at E3 2013 because it will have been over a year by then.
If thats the case, then it would be roughly the same amount of time for both games. Plus, the unveil will likely only be a trailer, meaning the game shouldn't have to be too far along to announce it. They won't even necessarily need a release date with it.

I can only hope they show something this year

D

Deleted member

I like it.

You make a decent argument for Snake and Sonic staying with the reference to Sony Smash. So there is hope after all.

Personally, I'm set on the idea that they WON'T come back, simply because I want Snake to come back, and that way, I won't be disappointed if he doesn't come back. On the other hand, if Snake were to be replaced with Simon Belmont, I'd be fine with his exclusion. Simon is the only 3rd party who's a bad enough dude to replace Snake (dude killed Dracula of all people, then brought him back to life, only to kill him again, that's a hardass if I ever saw one).

As for Simon's moves and playstyle, well that's pretty simple, I think he'd be a heavyweight like Snake with many tools, but more pokes. He could even be the flamboyant Simon for all I care.

But Snake and Sonic still have plnety of untapped potential, I'd love to see them return.

As a side note, weren't both Snake and Simon playable characters in that one Japanese-only fighting game (I forget the name)?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
As a side note, weren't both Snake and Simon playable characters in that one Japanese-only fighting game (I forget the name)?
I presume you're talking about Dream Mix TV World Fighters, which was basically a collaboration between Konami, Hudson Soft, and Takara.

The roster in the game was so bizarre it was awesome. It's the only video game where Optimus Prime, Bomberman, Tyson Granger, and Simon Belmont can beat the crap out of each other.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I like it.

You make a decent argument for Snake and Sonic staying with the reference to Sony Smash. So there is hope after all.

Personally, I'm set on the idea that they WON'T come back, simply because I want Snake to come back, and that way, I won't be disappointed if he doesn't come back. On the other hand, if Snake were to be replaced with Simon Belmont, I'd be fine with his exclusion. Simon is the only 3rd party who's a bad enough dude to replace Snake (dude killed Dracula of all people, then brought him back to life, only to kill him again, that's a hardass if I ever saw one).

As for Simon's moves and playstyle, well that's pretty simple, I think he'd be a heavyweight like Snake with many tools, but more pokes. He could even be the flamboyant Simon for all I care.

But Snake and Sonic still have plnety of untapped potential, I'd love to see them return.

Thank you! I'm glad someone agrees with what I've been thinking. It helps so I don't start thinking i'm crazy.

The game you're thinking of is called DreamMix TV World Fighters, Simon and Snake were both in. So was Bomberman.

And Megatron :awesome:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
-snip-

Look no further.

regarding Snake and Sonic, I agree with you. They should return in SSB4, since they have potential and were recieved positively in Brawl, but I'll understand if they don't.

EDIT: haha... ninja'd. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Dream Mix Fighters, that's the one. I remember hearing about it back in the days of Brawl speculation, then I watched the Game Grumps play it.

The roster is awesome (and very bizarre), but I heard the game plays very poorly. Like a very glitchy/blocky Jump Super Stars.

I think that's a good example of why rosters alone don't make the game.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Oh yea, I saw actual game play from that game the first time on Game Grumps too.

From what I've seen, the game mechanics are very weird. It's like some sort of bizarre take on tug-of-war.

D

Deleted member

Oh yea, I saw actual game play from that game the first time on Game Grumps too.

From what I've seen, the game mechanics are very weird. It's like some sort of bizarre take on tug-of-war.
I was reminded of the Coin Battle in Smash Bros.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Dream Mix TV World fighters:
>Coin Battle from Smash on crack
>Beat people till their souls fly out of their bodies
>claim the soul to kill your opponents.

Well **** Bomberman was on a field day.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Last year, before E3, we were discussing ways we could -possibly- see a Smash trailer despite its development just beginning (such as that the Melee trailer was made in a few months, so this one could be too). Now, a year later, I think we'd be hard-pressed to find reasons a Smash trailer -wouldn't- be shown.

:phone:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The trailer is pretty necessary, since there has to be something that will convince people to actually buy a Wii U. It has worked before with Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, so I don't see why they wouldn't go for that route again. Well besides suddenly hating money for some reason.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The trailer is pretty necessary, since there has to be something that will convince people to actually buy a Wii U. It has worked before with Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, so I don't see why they wouldn't go for that route again. Well besides suddenly hating money for some reason.
This. While I am interested in getting a Wii U along with New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin 3... I will be convinced to get a Wii U if/when Gamecube/Dreamcast/Saturn games on Wii U's Virtual Console AND the SSB4 trailer are shown.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Of course, Nintendo has increasingly just said "screw it" to E3s and done big announcements on those Nintendo Directs. I think it's all part of the whole Miyamoto-inspired "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever" philosophy. There's a long-running rumor, for example, that the reason that the Nintendo Land thing was so loooong during this past E3 was because they initially had something else they wanted to show (it's usually said to be something from Retro), but at the last minute they took a look at it and decided it wasn't up to the standards quite yet.

D

Deleted member

Of course, Nintendo has increasingly just said "screw it" to E3s and done big announcements on those Nintendo Directs. I think it's all part of the whole Miyamoto-inspired "A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever" philosophy. There's a long-running rumor, for example, that the reason that the Nintendo Land thing was so loooong during this past E3 was because they initially had something else they wanted to show (it's usually said to be something from Retro), but at the last minute they took a look at it and decided it wasn't up to the standards quite yet.
That sort of mentality is really good and it ensures quality games. More companies should follow suit (Activision ,EA, Sony, I'm looking at all of you). Hell, Smash 4 could come out 2016 if it means a much better game, and I'd be OK with it (as long as they give us some info on it that is...).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
2018 is also good, gives me more time to safe money for it lolz. :teeth:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Hey now, we don't want to end up with another Duke Nukem Forever situation. The last thing we need is for a game to take over 10+ years to develop and to turn out mediocre.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
BTW, taking a look at the upcoming anniversaries... note especially 2014:

2013: Uhhhhmmmm... uhh... Star Fox's 20th? Wow, it's gonna be a crappy anniversary, Fox.
2014: 125th Anniversary of Nintendo (say, what better reason to release a SSB game?), 25th Anniversary of the Game Boy (Say, what better reason to release a SSB game on a handheld?), 15th anniversary of SSB (say, what better reason to release a SSB game), 25th anniversary of Mother (say, what better reason to release an omnibus to the WHOLE DAMN WORLD, NINTENDO!!!)
2015: 30th Anniversary of SMB and the NES
2016: 30th Anniversary of Zelda and Metroid, 20th anniversary of Pokemon, 35th anniversary of Donkey Kong

D

Deleted member

2013: Uhhhhmmmm... uhh... Star Fox's 20th? Wow, it's gonna be a crappy anniversary, Fox.
2013--

Fox: Hey guys, guess what? It's my birthday!
Iwata: Can't let you do that StarFox.
Fox:;_;

It's ok, he can hang out with Samus...

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
2013--

At least Samus' crappy birthday can be partially blamed/excused on the fact that it was also Zelda's anniversary. Again, it's like being born on Christmas.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Fox and Samus are at least going to be together, and get fat on cake and ice cream while crying till their eyes bleed.

But hey, at least everyone is invited to the Nintendo and Super Smash Bros. anniversary.

D

Deleted member

That video was pretty cool, I was wondering why I had never come across it before, then I realized it's rather new.

Anyway, poor Samus has it rough being in Link's Shadow all the time. Maybe Ninty will give Zelda a break for a while and give us a GOOD Metroid game for her Anniversary. There is still a lot that could be done with Metroid and considering how Lackluster Squidward Sword was... Just don't let Sakamoto touch Samus' character anymore.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK got the worst of the worst for his birthday though, it was before Zelda's, and just AFTER Zelda's they suddenly became important. :rolleyes:

Think Samus got it bad in Link's shadow? Try standing in Mario's shadow while basically sharing the same damn game as roots of both series? Even people calling that same series a SUB-SERIES to Mario now?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Luigi has it a lot easier than Donkey Kong though my man.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
DK got the worst of the worst for his birthday though, it was before Zelda's, and just AFTER Zelda's they suddenly became important. :rolleyes:

Think Samus got it bad in Link's shadow? Try standing in Mario's shadow while basically sharing the same damn game as roots of both series? Even people calling that same series a SUB-SERIES to Mario now?
The victors write the history, Diddy. As soon as Jumpman got to the top of the Rivet stage, old Cranky Kong was doomed.

Oh, and Manlyspirit, Luigi didn't show up until 1983. So, hang on... it's Luigi's 30th birthday this year! Maybe they can mention that in Dark Moon.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Unfortunately, Luigi is still going to second bananas regardless of what happens. Which is a shame because he is easily the better of the Mario Bros.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
SMB2 is one of my favorite Mario games. It allowed Luigi, Toad, and Peach to shine and stand out on their own apart from Mario. Luigi's high jumps, Toad's superhuman strength (it's what enabled him to pick up vegetables/enemies/objects the fastest), Peach's floating jumps. I think Nintendo really needs to make a new Mario 2D game like Kirby's Return to Dream Land where all four characters are playable at the same time and they play differently.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
2013--

Well, Samus got some consolation. There's the beautifully done doujin album, Harmony of a Hunter. Seriously, I didn't know doujin albums could have this level of production values.

They also released the 101% Run album to coincide with Metroid Prime and Fusion's 10th anniversary.
That video was pretty cool, I was wondering why I had never come across it before, then I realized it's rather new.

Anyway, poor Samus has it rough being in Link's Shadow all the time. Maybe Ninty will give Zelda a break for a while and give us a GOOD Metroid game for her Anniversary. There is still a lot that could be done with Metroid and considering how Lackluster Squidward Sword was... Just don't let Sakamoto touch Samus' character anymore.
I had no problems with Samus actually having a personality. It just wasn't executed well, but I'd like to see more of this Samus. To be honest, how she is in Other M wasn't far off from my interpretation of her (namely her actions in RoS and Super) - and there wasn't much to go off of save for the manga and a few lines of dialogue in Fusion, Zero Mission, and Super.

@Arc
Going back to SMB2 would be a most welcoming change. We kind of had that with Super Paper Mario though.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
SM64DS had Mario, Luigi, Yoshi and Wario.

But, yeah, I miss SMB2. And apparently Miyamoto liked it better than Japan's SMB2 (AKA the Lost Levels), since it was something different.

The other problem Metroid has is that it's generally more of a Western franchise. It's never been that popular in Japan. Compare to Zelda, which is popular in both (although MORE popular in the west, especially recently).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I dunno why everyone hated Samus being so scared of Ridley in Other M. You ever noticed how BUFF that ******* became since his last appearance? It'd scream out loud to if my arch-nenemis would suddenly be buff as **** as oppossed to skinny as a twig. :troll:

Seriously though, Other M was OKAY. Sure, it's no Prime, no Super Metroid, and yes, Adam is a ***** for having that authority over Samus, but I liked the way it played. Simple and fast, and a good mix between 2D and 3D Metroids, at least, at base. I also LOVED the physical attacks, added a lot of debt into the combat. Hope they'll try and make another game based on how Other M was.

D

Deleted member

I downloaded the Harmony of a Hunter 101% album a while back, it was pretty good, the production value was incredible though, especially for a fan-project.

On Other M, we'll just have to agree to disagree Kuma, I hated Other M, mostly because of how emotional Samus was, I always pictured her as more of a courageous, stoic and coldblooded character.

I will admit, the gameplay was good, it wasn't Metroid, in fact it was poor for Metroid (too linear, not enough exploration), but that style could work well for other franchises.

My biggest gripe with Other M (and Prime 3) was all the extra side-characters. If they took those out of Other M, it would be a much better game. To me Metroid is about a lonely hunter venturing into hazardous and strange environments in the depths of space.

He puts up a great argument........Sagat is just too awesome.....

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=332123
No way, if there's any SF character I hate fighting against its ****ing Sagat (and T-Hawk, Oh God T-Hawk).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom