• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

splat

Smash Lord
I did do an edit saying maybe cutting down a little or at least change the costume of the Pokemon.

Like this, lets say the trainer is still Gen 1 Pokemon. Alt character costumes would do this:

-Red (Standard Look)
-Green ("Girly" Accessories, like Ivysaur with a bow)
-Gold ("Cool" Accessories, like Squirtle with sunglasses)
-Crystal ("Tomboy" Accessories, like Charizard with a hat)
-May (Shiny Pokemon)
-Brendon (Dark Pokemon)

Stuff like that. Not different Pokemon, but they all have their own looks.

Edit: Also I don't want that multiple trainer and Pokemon idea either, I was just throwing it out there. Maybe we should just have 2 trainers (1st and 2nd Gens).
Wes would fit so much better for Dark Pokémon.

Also, I don't understand why so many people want a second PT. PT is an awesome and original concept, getting a second one just sounds.. uninspired and, frankly, lame.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
Well......i wasnt sure they were gonna release gen 6....but they did! cool i guess. no poster pokemon yet? who thinks this is gonna make it into smash 4? im sure it will as atleast pokeball pkmn now

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Well......i wasnt sure they were gonna release gen 6....but they did! cool i guess. no poster pokemon yet? who thinks this is gonna make it into smash 4? im sure it will as atleast pokeball pkmn now

There were legendaries near the end that looked like Xs and Ys, so they might have been the "poster" Pokemon.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
ohhh no i meant like ONE specific pkmn like Lucario, or Zoroark or someone, not legendaries, my bad

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
true that! so what were your thoughs on X and Y? as a long time fan of the series, im kinda excited...but not as much as i want to be lol

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
true that! so what were your thoughs on X and Y? as a long time fan of the series, im kinda excited...but not as much as i want to be lol

I'm excited. It'll be cool to see a fully 3D pokemon game on a handheld, and it's awesome that it'll be a simultaneous nearly worldwide release, so I won't have to worry about spoilers during the half-year after the Japanese version is released.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
As you are probably waking up to hear right now, Pokemon X and Y was just announced. Its going to be for the Nintendo 3DS, and will have a worldwide release in October 2013. This game will also be the first fully 3D game in the series with both the human characters and Pokemon (and Pokemon battles) being in full 3D and no longer sprites.

However, contrary to what most of us were speculating, while the main legendaries for X and Y were shown off, there was no "generation mascot" shown off.

I think we will be seeing two major 6th-generation Pokemon in February (or maybe even the coming days/weeks):
1. A new evolution of Eevee (the Pikachu short for the 2013 movie is about Eevee's and they have been hinting a new Eevee evolution form)

2. The first major sixth-generation Pokemon that will likely co-star the movie alongside Genesect.

Since this new Pokemon generation game will be released in October 2013, there is a very good chance we will see Generation 6 Pokemon in Pokeballs for Smash 4. For comparison, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl was released in September 2006 in Japan.

However, with Black/White being old news, this effectively makes all the legendaries/promotional Pokemon for Black/White pretty obsolete. Zoroark is the only one left who is plausible for Smash 4 as a playable character. Genesect's chances are likely shot seeing as he most likely will be sharing his movie with the first major Pokemon of Generation 6.

It could very well be that the only new Pokemon added to Smash 4 is Mewtwo. However, it depends on what kind of impression the first major Pokemon of Generation 6 leaves on people. However, even then, its very likely that the roster will have been finalized by the time 2013 movie is released in theatres in Japan (July 2013), so a reaction from the fanbase would not be able to impact inclusion, but rather inclusion for such a Pokemon would either be through Game Freak/The Pokemon Company forcing Sakurai to include him/her/it or Sakurai thinking the new Pokemon would be someone Smash fans would like to play as (Sakurai likely has already seen it).

Overall, I hope this offers a lesson to Smash Bros. fans. Many of these people INSISTED that we would definitely getting a fifth-generation Pokemon, and yet many of them simply did not have staying power (the closest one to this was Zoroark, but even his popularity was but a mere shadow of Lucario's).

There is only one 6th generation Pokemon that will have a shot for playable status in Smash 4, and that will be the Pokemon starring alongside Genesect in the 2013 movie. We will likely find out the identity to this new Pokemon in February.

On a sidenote, looks like a Toise wig is going to be on the market soon. :troll:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
New generation, worldwide release, trailer showed Golurk and Litwick (two of my favorite Pokémon), will feature all gens in the new region, 3D battles. I noticed that the game was cel-shaded, which isn't bad at all.

3DS just keeps getting better.

And I don't think there will be a Gen V rep in SSB4 anymore... =P

Hmm... and I also think that Gen V didn't last as long as the other Gens... starting at 2010's end and finishing in 2013... Gen IV lasted for more time, starting in late 2005 and ending in 2010...

Gen VI haters will arrive soon... :troll:

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
It's possible, Chrono, that Nintendo/Game Freak would have given Sakurai a heads-up about Gen VI and a spot was left open or given to whatever the Lucario/Zoroark designed for Gen VI is.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Nicely put, Chronobound! Time to play one more waiting game... Though to me, a Gen 6 Pokemon starring alongside Genesect is extremely likely at this point. The mystery merchandise related to the movie will likely be watches displaying the new Pokemon.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
That said, I do agree that whatever is alongside Genesect will be it, if there is one. Remember that Lucario and Zoroark made their debuts in movies that came out "before" their generation.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Okay, I will admit that I was partially wrong. I was wrong about there being no Gen VI, but I was right about there being no generation mascot reveal.

In other news, Chespin is adorable and Pokemon X and Y are weird names.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So 6th gen is announced... X and Y, huh? Let me guess, the third game will be Z.

:phone:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Okay, I will admit that I was partially wrong. I was wrong about there being no Gen VI, but I was right about there being no generation mascot reveal.

the Japanese logos feature a rainbow double helix. considering that is the shape of the DNA and there are X and Y chromosomes... I think it will be a theme of the new games... perhaps Mew or Deoxys will feature again?

maybe the villain team's plans will involve genetic manipulation?

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I heard a good theory that X and Y (and eventually Z) could stand for the axes of the 3DS, with Z being depth.

D

Deleted member

Look at that, a new Pokemon Generation was revealed after all...

I hate to tell you "I told you so," but I did.

Anyway, just a bit of speculation on that. X and Y are dimensional planes, expect that to be the big deal with these games, especially since they're on the 3DS, the 3rd game will obviously be Z.

All that aside, I didn't expect to find myself excited for these games, but they look pretty sweet. The Legends look cool, and it looks like they even previewed the starters, something I did not expect. As for our new posterchild, he'll be known in time for the movie as he'll likely show up in it.

Oh, and "Y" Dragon Legend>>>>> "X" Elk thing.

EDIT: ****, I got beat to the punch on the dimensional thing, well I'll say this, notice how the trailer starts with then MC looking into a mirror?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
-snip-
Anyway, just a bit of speculation on that. X and Y are dimensional planes, expect that to be the big deal with these games, especially since they're on the 3DS, the 3rd game will obviously be Z.

All that aside, I didn't expect to find myself excited for these games, but they look pretty sweet. The Legends look cool, and it looks like they even previewed the starters, something I did not expect. As for our new posterchild, he'll be known in time for the movie as he'll likely show up in it.

Oh, and "Y" Dragon Legend>>>>> "X" Elk thing.

EDIT: ****, I got beat to the punch on the dimensional thing, well I'll say this, notice how the trailer starts with then MC looking into a mirror?
also @Gamingboy: that's also another possibility... but it still makes me wonder why do the Japanese logos have the double helix shape...

about the mirror: I think there will be a Dark Pokémon Trainer (à la Dark Link in FSA and Dark Pit in KI:U) at long last. :troll:

now seriously, maybe it could be for trainer customization?

even more insane theory that combines both: XY are both symbolism for DNA and dimensions, as in the main character will be cloned by the evil team who wants to TAKE OVER THE WORLD with clones and the game is in 3D, meaning it works on x, y and z-axes.

also, if you want to speculate about Pokémon X / Y, take it to this thread.
or pay me $5000...

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Other than that I could see Game Freak/Nintendo making Pokemon Z in the future.

Anyways, I do get a feeling that there is a chance that a Gen VI pokemon could be playable in SSB4 depending on which one Game Freak and Sakurai decided.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Those two new legendaries may actually be the unofficial mascots when you take into account that one of them is actually shaped like the letter Y when angled just right.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Agreed, looked pretty good. Considering development/release periods between generations III-V as well as Brawl it seems like Gen VI might have enough time to make appearances in the next Smash. The biggest question would be which Pokemon is/are able to garner enough popularity to make it on the roster if one or several were to make it? (Could be a single Pokemon, a Pokemon with transformations, or usable for Pokemon Trainer)

Lucario was given two and a half years to rack up popularity before Brawl was released in Japan. Generation VI Pokemon at this point will not have such a generous time frame, furthermore (Correct me if I'm wrong) I also believe that Lucario and the Mystery of Mew was the segue to introduce Gen IV. With that being said Extremespeed Genesect might also be the first to introduce Gen VI in the form of a film with the release of Gen IV over fall, it is definitely a little late in the running if we expect even a late 2014 release of Smash.

If it is the case we see a 2014 release of Smash without the initial release of Gen VI then I'm sure they will add them in as some sort of DLC along with stages, Pokeballs, trophies, and possibly even as playable characters.

We might also see Gen VI content without a playable character at first or we could even see the entire package and be surprised by (a) Gen VI Pokemon appearing on the roster.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I still think we aren't getting a 6th gen Pokemon as a playable character. But a bunch of them could show up in Pokeballs. I think Zoroark still has a chance.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
It will definitely be interesting to see how it all plays out. It's certainly early enough that a gen 6 rep could be chosen, but with a mostly chosen roster it may be difficult to find the right gen 6 rep, if he really wants one.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Not sure how i feel about Pokemon Chromosomes yet ...
Only the water starter looks decent.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I still think we aren't getting a 6th gen Pokemon as a playable character. But a bunch of them could show up in Pokeballs. I think Zoroark still has a chance.

While I honestly don't care for Zoroark either way, we will probably see some Gen VI pokeballs. If not in the initial release, then in an update.

@Moon Monkey
Lol, I was thinking of chromosomes too.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Haha, You know there is going to the inevitable Pokemon Z
which sounds like a Pokemon and Dragonball Z cross over: PokeBall Z

I agree though most of these additions will be Pokeball.

Wes would fit so much better for Dark Pokémon.

Also, I don't understand why so many people want a second PT. PT is an awesome and original concept, getting a second one just sounds.. uninspired and, frankly, lame.
Because then the trainers could be different in terms of evolutions.

And also to have Red vs Gold :awesome:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Why not just have the different gen trainers as alternate costumers for the trainer?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Which is what we were talking about, and I could see that.

The only thing is it doesn't change the Pokemon unless you want universal move-sets.
It would be impossible to do universal movesets. Just looking at the fire starters should tell you that. Three end up with being a fighting type, one purely fire, and Charizard with fire and flying.

What I think could be neat is if you give Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard "patterns" based on the other Pokemon. Like, Squirtle could have colors and markings on him that are based off of Totodile.

It would be impossible to do universal movesets. Just looking at the fire starters should tell you that. Three end up with being a fighting type, one purely fire, and Charizard with fire and flying.

What I think could be neat is if you give Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard "patterns" based on the other Pokemon. Like, Squirtle could have colors and markings on him that are based off of Totodile.
I see that working as well

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Gamefreak, I swear to Arceus if that fox gets a fighting secondary type...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Gamefreak, I swear to Arceus if that fox gets a fighting secondary type...
I really can't picture that happening. The fighting types are usually based on some actual fighting style or something fighting related (Blaziken). I can't think of any that are associated with a fox or would be suitable for one.

If it's going to be another dual type, I'm expecting Fire and either Psychic or Dark, preferably psychic as I don't think that's been done yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom