• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

What I hope is that if he decides to revisit the duo idea, he does it with Kiddy partnered to Dixie, not Diddy.
That way is also represents Dixie's time in the limelight when both DK and Diddy were captured.

D

Deleted member

He didn't exactly say WHAT the problems were; just that there were problems.
He mentions this in an older issue of Famitsu.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=144627&
Judging by the Japanese text, they supposedly were to switch off attacks. I can see how that might be difficult to implement.
Hmm, interesting. He doesn't say what sort of problems, but time problems could also be problems, and he seems to imply that...

Also, to anyone who knows some Japanese, my Moonspeak is a little rust-
very bad
. When he says, "iro iro," toward the end, what is he referring to? It is right before he uses the adjective "muzukashi" (difficult).

Rikai-Kun tells me the most likely option is "various colors" but that doesn't make too much sense. Is that some sort of Japanese expression?

He says:
"iro iro to muzukashi bunbun ga atte sou sou to kattoshima****a."
various colors difficult portion(subject) to meet early had to be cut.
(if you reorder it, it makes a bit more sense).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
To be fair, we do need more baby users on the roster. We also need more bad babysitters too, so Dixie Kong would work out in the end after all! :troll:

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
We got more Pokemon news:

Pokémon ‏@Pokemon

Pokémon fans, mark your calendars! Check http://Pokemon.com on January 8th for some big news!
This is from the ENGLISH LANGUAGE Pokemon twitter feed. If it was just going to be a Japanese promotion or something (like if Japan was getting a special download or something), I doubt that the English Pokemon feed be trumpetting it.

So, yeah, some type of GAME announcement is coming the 8th. Probably a main-line series, either a whole new generation or a remake of some kind.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If we have to have Zelda/Sheik clones, I hope it's Tetra, not Toon Sheik. She would go well with a possible Toon Ganondorf clone (since Nintendo apparently likes the TWW version of Ganondorf enough to have him in Scribblenauts).

As for Diddy & Dixie team, I wish we had gotten that in Brawl... but I don't know what to expect in SSB4. I hope that Dixie Kong gets in SSB4 whether it is as a standalone character, or as a tag team partner for Diddy Kong as planned for Brawl, or even better, a Dixie & Kiddy team like in DKC3... now that's killing two birds with one stone (popular character and out from the left field character as one). :awesome:

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
If we have to have Zelda/Sheik clones, I hope it's Tetra, not Toon Sheik. She would go well with a possible Toon Ganondorf clone (since Nintendo apparently likes the TWW version of Ganondorf enough to have him in Scribblenauts).

To be fair, putting in a "realistic" Ganon probably wouldn't work so well in Scribblenauts.

D

Deleted member

...And yet TP Ganon is summonable as well, when they could have made "Ganon" summon WW's Puppet Ganon.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
So NoA is also hyping up January 8th for the Pokemon announcement. Wii-U game? Gen 6? Gen 3 remake? Yellow remake?

If Gen 6 is revealed this early, what would you guys think as far as Pokemon reps?
looool A remake of a remake FR/LG on 3DS>B/W3...(-_-)

:phone:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So NoA is also hyping up January 8th for the Pokemon announcement. Wii-U game? Gen 6? Gen 3 remake? Yellow remake?

If Gen 6 is revealed this early, what would you guys think as far as Pokemon reps?
Not sure what the odds are, but I'm guessing its either Gen 6 or a Wii-U game.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Calling it from now PassionRuby SorrowSaphire for 3DS using a new 3D engine. I'm guessing they are swapping out the sprites for the models they made in the 3D Pokedex app for 3DS and iOS

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Another reason why it's probably safe to think it's some type of major game: It was said earlier that Shigeki Morimoto will be there, and he's only been involved with the main series (save for an advisory position with Pokemon Colosseum).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Two guesses:

- Wii U Pokemon Stadium-like game for Gen 5th

- Another major 3DS Pokemon announcement (spinoff, maybe?) (I know also there's Pokemon Mystery Dungeon coming to 3DS)

- Gen 3rd remake for 3DS

D

Deleted member

Me: "State three things about you, Horsetail."
Horse: "I have a great personality, and I'm bad at math."

:laugh:

Anyways, I'm personally hoping for a console adventure game like Colosseum/XD, but without the Shadow Pokemon gimmick. Like one of the handhelds, but for console.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yuui: You certainly nailed me there. (Though I think I was just being hasty) Ah well, won't even go edit the post. (-=[]=-);;;

But yeah, new Colosseum would be cool (Battle Revolution was, despite it's graphical superiority in any 3D-Pokemons, pretty shallow game to me.)

D

Deleted member

I hope you know that I don't mean any malice out of that.
Just thought it was hilarious.

D

Deleted member

Two guesses:

- Wii U Pokemon Stadium-like game for Gen 5th

- Another major 3DS Pokemon announcement (spinoff, maybe?) (I know also there's Pokemon Mystery Dungeon coming to 3DS)

- Gen 3rd remake for 3DS
My money is still on an announcement for Gen 6. The 3DS is dying for a new Pokemon game, and 2013 slows down in 3DS games a bit, so the only way to keep the 3DS money machine going is by announcing a Pokemon game for that console for late this year. Calling it now, Gen 6 reveal, with a J release in Winter 2013, and a Western Release Summer 2014. The hype and Famitsu reveals from here till the release will be enough to keep the attention on the 3DS.

I don't think it'll be a Stadium game, those are more like Spinoffs and not important enough, unless it's a Colosseum reboot, but the WiiU has many pending releases this year so it'll be ok. Spinoff COULD work, but remember the rumors of a new Eevee form, and Gen 3 remake would be a poor way to start Gen 6, and it can't be a Gen 5 game as we've never had a cross platform Gen. Also, there's no need to remake those game as you can trade all the Pokemon from Hoenn RSE over into B2/W2 no problem.

Gens 1 and 2 were remade because of the new EV mechanics introduced in Gen 3, which prevented cross platform trade.

All signs point to a new Pokemon Generation. Someone over on /vp/ noted that we've had a new Pokemon Generation every 1300 or so days. Gen 5 has currently been going for 850 days, so at the very latest expect Gen 6 to be out in Japan by January 2014.

Just to clarify:
Pokemon Black and White release dates in Japan:
September 18, 2010

That's when Gen 5 began.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I feel like it will be a 3DS something, and I feel like it'll be Gen 6. The whole Eevee thing is what makes me think that.

Second most likely is a R/S remake, but with the acknowledgement that Gen 6 is in active development (the Eeveelution, for example, could be revealed as the early sneak peek).

Another possibility: A "5.5" generation, that doesn't add as many new Pokemon (maybe, say, 50 or so), but DOES make the jump to 3D. This could maybe be a "Black and White 3" or something.

D

Deleted member

I feel like it will be a 3DS something, and I feel like it'll be Gen 6. The whole Eevee thing is what makes me think that.

Second most likely is a R/S remake, but with the acknowledgement that Gen 6 is in active development.
An Emerald Remake or something is possible if they're trying to buy time for the full release of Gen 6, but need something fill a gap.

It could even be Emerald, with some hidden Gen 6 Pokemon, that way you ensure the fans that Gen 6 games are on the way.

If we follow the 1300 days rule Gen 6 should be out in Japan by mid March 2014.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
It could even be Emerald, with some hidden Gen 6 Pokemon, that way you ensure the fans that Gen 6 games are on the way.

That's sort of what I'm thinking as far as "5.5" (you might not have seen it, since I edited it in). Old game, but in a new graphics system (3D), and with a sprinkling of new Pokemon (the Eeveelution, for example, would be relatively easy to put in).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I though still think Gen 6 announcement is bit too sudden (and even if anything, new Gen-announcements are always done in Japan first and this one will be a worldwide one.)

D

Deleted member

That's sort of what I'm thinking as far as "5.5" (you might not have seen it, since I edited it in). Old game, but in a new graphics system (3D), and with a sprinkling of new Pokemon (the Eeveelution, for example, would be relatively easy to put in).
Personally, I'm one of the people who think Pokemon is in dire need of a rehaul.

Stuff like omnidirectional movement, and the removal of random encounters NEED to be implemented, not only that, but something to make battles and raising Pokemon a little more exciting.

At least with the encounters, they could make it like SMRPG and Earthbound where you see the different Pokemon roaming about before a battle, this way you have an option of avoiding them. Likewise, something like MonHun's roaming, tagging, and Ecosystem mechanics would be neat.

But of course, GameFreak is lazy, Pokemon will sell no matter what, so they'll never go all out.

This is why I wish they didn't do a Gen 5.5, but they probably will, which means Gen 6 will likely be somewhat lazy as well.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The difference between then and now is that Sakurai had a wealth of characters to choose from. He could afford to pass over some characters because, well, he could get around to add them in the future. We don't have that option now.

The problem is that cutting characters does not mean we can suddenly have more characters, that is to assume there are, what, eight more characters worth adding. That is a fallacy built upon a presupposition. If you disregard most of the B-tier series like Golden Sun, Legendary Starfy, Sin and Punishment, as Sakurai pretty much did, that does not leave you with many series to pick from. Unless of course you want three Mario characters just so we call all say we have more, but I have a feeling a lot of people would not welcome that warmly. Most of the main line series have already been picked through, and what options exist most fans don't want since "that series is complete and does not deserve another character."
Yeah. Basically if you look at things in terms of veteran franchises, many of the series there is basically no interest for a new character (or a very strong divide on whether one should be added). Mario, DK, Metroid, and Kid Icarus are the only series that come to mind with characters left to add that are not Melee veterans or current posterboys.

You also have the fact that several of Nintendo's franchises represented with a playable character within Smash Bros. received no new game after Brawl's release (Yoshi, Star Fox, F-Zero, Mother, Pikmin). Though Pikmin will have a new release in a few months, and Yoshi is rumored to have a new game in development, both of those series there does not exist any interest for a newcomer (Pikmin 3's release may change that, but we shall see).

And even amongst franchises that had a major prominent character within them that is not yet playable in Smash Bros. (Ghirahim and Waddle Dee). However, while both characters are certainly the most wanted possible newcomers for their respective series, demand is rather tepid for both of them compared to their predecessors, there is also a large sentiment that both of their series have all the characters they need.

For those asking to cut characters, outside of Sonic and Snake (who are guests) and Lucario and Ike (who were faces of their series at a particular time), every other character in Smash Bros. is still important and iconic to their series (or Smash Bros. in general like Jigglypuff/Sheik). Sure you could make an argument that two Links are not needed (Toon Link), or that a finished series that is mostly Japan-only does not need two characters (Lucas), but other than that you are only looking at six cuts at best.

However, amongst the rest of Nintendo's veteran franchises cuts would be impractical. Krystal is not more well known or more popular than Wolf or Falco (especially in an age where a new generation of Star Fox fans was raised only on Virtual Console Star Fox 64 and Star Fox 64 3D), and Waddle Dee is not more well known or more popular than King Dedede or Meta Knight.

There are no obvious cuts this time like there was for Melee, and it was really time constraints that at least two of Melee's cut characters were cut (Dr. Mario may or may not have also been a victim to time constraints). There are no characters this time people are clamoring to be cut (the closest would probably be Toon Link "due to being too cloney" and "we don't need two Links").

Heck, Mewtwo is probably the most wanted character for Smash 4 taking into account worldwide requests and Roy in the Top 5 overall worldwide (probably #5). Its really a testament to how well he makes his characters in Smash Bros.

Sakurai has stated before that there is only so many characters that he thinks are actually worthy enough to become playable characters within Smash Bros. I think while there are a few gems left at the bottom of the barrel, Sakurai is correct on wanting to focus on something other than beefing up the roster.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
if he adds all the most worthy/pratical chars and some of his own wt* chars ofc..

Then its fine everyones just abit worried because although theres a less amount of worth chars to add it seems as its simple more easy for them to be picked but the roster is not gonna add as much to so it should be best to do it right.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
So you would want.
DK
Diddy
Dixie & Kiddy Duo

And kick K.Rool to the curb...(@_0!)

I see no reason why DK can't have four reps.
I hope Dixie/Dixie&Kiddy and King K. Rool get added along with DK and Diddy.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
At least with the encounters, they could make it like SMRPG and Earthbound where you see the different Pokemon roaming about before a battle, this way you have an option of avoiding them. Likewise, something like MonHun's roaming, tagging, and Ecosystem mechanics would be neat.
Given the fact that Pokemon is in many ways the successor to Earthbound (a lot of Mother 2 personnel ended up working on Pokemon), I am sort of surprised that there isn't a "see the pokemon moving" thing. I think it has to do with the fact the Gameboy didn't have the tech to do that very well, or something, and since walking in tall grass became such a tradition they've kept with it.

Of course, it may also have to deal with the fact that SEEING ALL OF THE ZUBATS IN A CAVE WOULD BE TOO MUCH EVEN FOR THE WORLD'S STRONGEST SUPER COMPUTERS

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So you would want.
DK
Diddy
Dixie & Kiddy Duo

And kick K.Rool to the curb...(@_0!)

I cannot speak up for Golden, but I definitely want my cake and eat it! I want Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie & Kiddy (team), AND King K. Rool to be playable in SSB4. This would complete the original DKC trilogy before it went on a hiatus for 10 years before the Wii reboot. Let's just hope that Sakurai does not put my dreams of recreating the boss fight between Dixie & Kiddy against King K. Rool a la DKC3 in Smash up in smoke. :troll:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Kiddy Kong dropped off the face of the earth after Donkey Kong Land 3 (which was released back in 1997/1998). I doubt he is ever coming back.

D

Deleted member

Given the fact that Pokemon is in many ways the successor to Earthbound (a lot of Mother 2 personnel ended up working on Pokemon), I am sort of surprised that there isn't a "see the pokemon moving" thing. I think it has to do with the fact the Gameboy didn't have the tech to do that very well, or something, and since walking in tall grass became such a tradition they've kept with it.

Of course, it may also have to deal with the fact that SEEING ALL OF THE ZUBATS IN A CAVE WOULD BE TOO MUCH EVEN FOR THE WORLD'S STRONGEST SUPER COMPUTERS
Well, they could just... you know... DROP the encounter rate for those damned bats and dudes...

On a serious note, they could do something a la Monster Hunter and have them move in packs, this would be a neat mechanic for many Pokemon in fact, and it would make "hunting" Pokemon a bit more of an exciting challenge and less "grindy," Pokemon in general is just too damn grindy to be fun for me anymore. Gen 5 was basically the pinnacle of Pokemon imo, especially B2/W2 (even moreso if you count the ROMhacks for those games that increase the difficulty dramatically), but at the end of the day, I didn't find myself enjoying them as much as I thought I would, and it's simply because the games are very basic RPGs that need to add new flair.

Problem is, a lot of the competitive Pokemon fanbase is so BENT on keeping things the same, that there likely won't be much change... One can always hope I guess.

Let's just hope that Sakurai does not put my dreams of recreating the boss fight between Dixie & Kiddy against King K. Rool a la DKC3 in Smash up in smoke. :troll:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I see no reason why DK can't have four reps.
I hope Dixie/Dixie&Kiddy and King K. Rool get added along with DK and Diddy.
I love D.K Series but i think 3 reps is enough and respect ammount of reps..

Cant say the same for F-Zero/Earthbound/Starfox and Metroid though... imo in all honesty biases aside it should go like this.

Earthbound & F-Zero 2 reps in total

Starfox 2/3
.Metroid 2/3
D.K 3
Pokemon & Zelda - 4
Kid Icarus - 2
Kirby - 3
Fire emblem 2/3

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Kiddy Kong dropped off the face of the earth after Donkey Kong Land 3 (which was released back in 1997/1998). I doubt he is ever coming back.
This is kinda a cruel twist of fate since he was going to appear in the cancelled Donkey Kong Racing, if the teaser trailer has anything to go by.

D

Deleted member

I love D.K Series but i think 3 reps is enough and respect ammount of reps..

Cant say the same for F-Zero/Earthbound/Starfox and Metroid though... imo in all honesty biases aside it should go like this.

Earthbound & F-Zero 2 reps in total

Starfox 2/3
.Metroid 2/3
D.K 3
Pokemon & Zelda - 4
Kid Icarus - 2
Kirby - 3
Fire emblem 2/3
You know how the Doc was cut and not replaced in Brawl, bringing us down from 5 Mario reps to 4. Many people SWORE that Mario would not just lose a rep like that back in Brawl speculation days, as it is "Nintendo's flagship franchise and it deserves 5 reps," but in the end, that's exactly what happened. Doc was cut and no-one took his place.

What about this happening to the Zelda franchise with Toon-Link; simply cutting him and not replacing him with anyone, as there are not suitable substitutes at the moment? I can certainly see this happening to be honest.

I know "Young" Link is the REAL Link, but tell that to the Zelda Team and get them on bringing back the True Link to the franchise. Toon Link, as I've said before is largely irrelevant now, I feel Zelda should just be Link, Zelda/Sheik and Ganon/dorf. The Triforce Trio, and that's it. At least for the time being, when Smash 5 rolls around we can have more Zelda reps.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
ManlySpirit, Wario took Dr. Mario's place in Brawl. Sakurai originally considered adding Wario in Melee as a last-minute clone of Mario but decided against it because he realized that Wario deserved better than being a copy... so Dr. Mario got in instead.

And Kiddy Kong resurfaced in the GBA remake in 2005 and in the Virtual Console port in 2007 (2008 in Japan, and it was AFTER Brawl came out :smirk:) and he was planned to be in Donkey Kong Racing for the Gamecube way back in 2001. Before anyone says that those games don't count, then Ocarina of Time 3D shouldn't be counted as well when it comes to Sheik.
Impa for SSB4

Anyway, we have some characters who dropped off the face of the earth after their one and only appearances (Ness, Lucas, Sheik, Ice Climbers) already in Smash. But that's why I call him an out from the left field character if he ever shows up tagging along with one of the most wanted characters as a team. It's like what I said before about killing two birds with one stone. ;)

Do I expect it to happen? Not really but I know I would be overjoyed if it actually happened. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

ManlySpirit, Wario took Dr. Mario's place in Brawl. Sakurai originally considered adding Wario in Melee as a last-minute clone of Mario but decided against it because he realized that Wario deserved better than being a copy... so Dr. Mario got in instead.
Yeah, but what I mean is, people thought Doc would be replaced by Bowser Jr. or Toad, or Paper Mario, but in the end, it didn't happen, and in "Smash Bros. Canon" (whatever that is...), Wario is under his WarioWare franchise, not as a Mushroom Kingdom rep.

I feel no-one took Doc's place back then because there were more important reps to fill the roster like Toon Link and Ike (which was my argument), and none of the new Mario reps really stood out. However, now it's the opposite, none of the Zelda reps really stand out, and some of the new Mario reps are better additions this time around.

I predict that Toon Link will get cut getting replaced by no-one and we'll go back to 5 Mario reps with either Toad or Paper Mario taking the 5th spot.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
oww my gawwdd seriously..(0-0) tryna keep my cool.

D.K
Diddy & Dixie Duo or just Diddy by himself.
& K.Rool!

Enough ! D.K will neverr get 4 Reps in Smash no way just stating the truth.

Event Match
D.K & Diddy
Vs.
King K.Rool on his ship.

Enough said!

Dixie was only in DKC 2 & 3

K.Rool has been in the country trilogy! and in DK64! Why Dixie wasnt in DK64 Now i think of it is beyond me...

Sorry to go nuts i understand things are debatable but this isnt! its just pure sense!

You know what this is more of a Hero & Sidekick Vs Villain thing.

Ofc in a game the main char you play as the hero is the most important char in the game and most heros have Sidekicks them being tied to the hero alone is alot of importance.

It depends if Sakurai Sees Villians as essential as in completing the series in terms of Reputation.

Think of it this way a Book has
The beginning (Hero)
The Middle (Sidekick)
The End (K.Rool)
= Complete !

We cant have a Beginning and two middles..
If anything no matter how hard Sakurai tries to differ Dixie from Diddy in which i think wont be alot..

People gonna *****! About them being clones of each other..

Its just all depends on how Sakurai sees it even if he
Keeps it

D.K/Diddy
D.K/Diddy/Dixie
D.K/K.Rool

I wont agree or respect his descison.

D.K/Diddy/K.Rool = Completion!

Think how stupid this next example is gonna be.

Imagine if
Smash64 Had mario/luigi/yoshi like it did
Then Melee had mario/luigi/peach/yoshi only no bowser

Then Brawl had mario/luigi/peach/yoshi/toad...

Oww but gives a damn about Bowser hes not important to the mario series..as long as
the hero and his helpfull recurring Sidekicks get in all is good.

Maybe Bowser will be added in Sm4sh.

Sakurai seems to not care or not acknowledge Villians to be
Hero>Sidekick>Villian

But rather
Hero>Sidekick>Sidekicks Sidekick>Everthing in between..>Villian.

So who cares!! you lot probly get your wish too.

It Should go Samus/ZSS>Anothony (What ever his name is..)>Whole GF Army>Ridley.

What ever..

F**K Sakurai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom