• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So you would want.
DK
Diddy
Dixie & Kiddy Duo

And kick K.Rool to the curb...(@_0!)

:phone:
So saying I would like a certain way for an idea if it happens to be revisited means I don't want something unrelated to the idea?
Where is the logic in that?

I said IF the concept was revisited, I would want it to be Dixie/Kiddy, not Diddy/Dixie.
Doesn't mean I don't want K. Rool.

If it were my way, I would have it
DK
Diddy
Dixie/Kiddy
K. Rool

And if there were only 3 slots available, then
DK
Diddy
K. Rool

D

Deleted member

SPECULATIONNNSSSSTUFFF....
I understood about 60% of that...

Anyway, if we don't get Diddy+Dixie, Dixie+Kiddy would be good enough. Much better than Dixie Solo in my opinion. I love gimmick characters (hence why I love BlazBlue).

On a more light hearted note: http://youtu.be/blaX_eMz3Qw

Kratos, Banjo, Morrigan and Yami Yugi (yes, the one from Yu-Gi-Oh!) confirmed for Smash Bros.

EDIT: Oh, and Anthony or any one of those other losers from Prime 3 or Other M need to be erased from the Metroid Canon.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Lol come to think of it the same **** probly happend to ganon in melee it explains his bad moveset.

i imagine Zelda/Young Link/Link was planned for melee and Ganon shoved in at last minute now imagine that!

Link
Zelda/Sheik
Young Link

Thats fine representation for LoZ in Melee for sure!

And i dont know why they didnt give Ganon a original moveset in brawl..one of the stupidest things they done in that game imo..

D

Deleted member

Lol come to think of it the same **** probly happend to ganon in melee it explains his bad moveset.

i imagine Zelda/Young Link/Link was planned for melee and Ganon shoved in at last minute now imagine that!

Link
Zelda/Sheik
Young Link

Thats fine representation for LoZ in Melee for sure!

But that's exactly what happened... Ganondorf was added only because he could be a clone of the Capt.

Young Link we don't know for sure, but it's likely the same story.

Personally I liked Ganondorf back in Melee, he was a very fun character to use, all he lacked was a bit of originallity, Shame he was ruined in Brawl. Here's to him donning an M. Bison-esque moveset in Kerfuffle.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ganondorf's main problem was severely limited mobility and large size, which essentially was a big giant sign saying "HEY BEAT ME UP TO A BLOODY PULP I SUCK EGGS". I mean having a some of the most powerful attacks is fine and dandy, but it's worthless if it cannot be taken advantage of in any form.

To fix poor Mr. King of Evil's problems, make some of his attacks faster or give him better range. You know, traits so he can actually take advantage of that raw power.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Kiddy wasn't even referenced in Brawl...neither was DKC3 as a whole, except for a single label on Squitter's trophy (and arguably a reference to Krumple on Kludge's trophy). Kind of sad, since DKC3 is a hidden gem in the franchise. It's probably the worst of the originals, but still awesome.

Nowadays, even factions of the DK fanbase hate Kiddy. Other than Candy, he's the most universally shunned character within it.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
But that's exactly what happened... Ganondorf was added only because he could be a clone of the Capt.

Young Link we don't know for sure, but it's likely the same story.

Personally I liked Ganondorf back in Melee, he was a very fun character to use, all he lacked was a bit of originallity, Shame he was ruined in Brawl. Here's to him donning an M. Bison-esque moveset in Kerfuffle.
Ow no doubt i agree meleedorf was fun and a trillion times better then ultra superslow grandadorf.

Thats is absoulty disgusting imo..

We should all Consider bowser very lucky to be the only proper planned succesfull Villian in all of Smash History..

Well Dedede too but ofc Sakurai wouldnt make a Kirby char suck/clone would he...now...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think Ganondorf going from a Captain Falcon clone to a M. Bison clone might be better. It's not like M. Bison himself would actually get in Smash despite what that Street Fighter producer/supervisor/whatever said because Capcom fans specifically want Mega Man the most... and this is probably the best possible compromise between M. Bison getting in Smash and Ganondorf getting decloned.

D

Deleted member

I am now envisioning Ganondorf doing Psycho Crusher.

EDIT: Welp, there's the replacement of Wizard's Foot. :troll:

D

Deleted member

I think Ganondorf going from a Captain Falcon clone to a M. Bison clone might be better. It's not like M. Bison himself would actually get in Smash despite what that Street Fighter producer/supervisor/whatever said because Capcom fans specifically want Mega Man the most... and this is probably the best possible compromise between M. Bison getting in Smash and Ganondorf getting decloned.
I am now envisioning Ganondorf doing Psycho Crusher.
We have some Ganondorf movesets over at the "Character Archetypes" thread, check them out. I wrote one based off of M.Bison.

EDIT:
"Wizard's Head"

My sides.

We should all Consider bowser very lucky to be the only proper planned succesfull Villian in all of Smash History..

Well Dedede too but ofc Sakurai wouldnt make a Kirby char suck/clone would he...now...

>Bowser
>properly planned
>successful

Ehhh...

Not quite, the Koopa King has been in dire need of some buffs since Melee, Brawl took him in the right direction making him more grapple focused, but he still needs some work. Bowser was simply a giant greet target back in Melee.

Ganondorf's main problem was severely limited mobility and large size, which essentially was a big giant sign saying "HEY BEAT ME UP TO A BLOODY PULP I SUCK EGGS". I mean having a some of the most powerful attacks is fine and dandy, but it's worthless if it cannot be taken advantage of in any form.

To fix poor Mr. King of Evil's problems, make some of his attacks faster or give him better range. You know, traits so he can actually take advantage of that raw power.
Hahaha, exactly. He needs more range and speed on his attacks. Some powerful pokes would do him well. He can be slow moving, but don't make his attacks slow as well.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

And that sign was only supersized for him in brawl..the only lee-way breathing move he had was his lightning jab but even that was soo slow in Brawl..

Man they seriouslyyy need to sort out the Heavyweights in Sm4sh its one of my biggest concerns..

Slow Movement is expected but ultra slow every moves-short slow jumps/roll dodge everything! its just all way to much..

Even though i add everyone else loves Melee its still as bad in that game too.

Heres something i like to do in melee time to time i advise you try it and see for yourself.

I main bowser in melee and on of my favirote practice thingys is beating a Lvl9 Fox or Falco with Bowser no items.

Trust me you will be suprised at how challenging it is despite stupid predictable AI...

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
You know how the Doc was cut and not replaced in Brawl, bringing us down from 5 Mario reps to 4. Many people SWORE that Mario would not just lose a rep like that back in Brawl speculation days, as it is "Nintendo's flagship franchise and it deserves 5 reps," but in the end, that's exactly what happened. Doc was cut and no-one took his place.
Wario was a semi-Mario rep. So was Diddy, in a manner of speaking (in that they share the same universe, even if they are different franchises).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Personally, I think SSB4 needs more heavyweights. King K. Rool, Ridley, and hopefully King Hippo, too, would be great.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Heavyweight characters in general suffer from the hands of fast characters, because of their large size and weight making them very vulnerable to combos. Because of how slowly they move, getting the upperhand on the fast characters is a challenge since they easily get overwhelmed by speed, preventing them from countering. Bowser and Ganondorf are very good examples of what I mean.

Heavyweight characters that can solve this problem are generally better then the ones that cannot.

D

Deleted member

And that sign was only supersized for him in brawl..the only lee-way breathing move he had was his lightning jab but even that was soo slow in Brawl..

Man they seriouslyyy need to sort out the Heavyweights in Sm4sh its one of my biggest concerns..

Slow Movement is expected but ultra slow every moves-short slow jumps/roll dodge everything! its just all way to much..

Even though i add everyone else loves Melee its still as bad in that game too.

Heres something i like to do in melee time to time i advise you try it and see for yourself.

I main bowser in melee and on of my favirote practice thingys is beating a Lvl9 Fox or Falco with Bowser no items.

Trust me you will be suprised at how challenging it is despite stupid predictable AI...

Ganondorf was High-tier in Melee. A good Ganon player would put many lightweight users in their place. Hell, as a Marth main I had the most trouble with Falcos and Ganondorfs. Falco's Airs were GODLY, and Dorf's power was a threat to be weary of.

Wario was a semi-Mario rep. So was Diddy, in a manner of speaking (in that they share the same universe, even if they are different franchises).
Yeah, but no one considered him that during speculation. Wario was revealed with the trailer, and due to his WW outfit, many considered him his own franchise, thus the 5th Mario rep to replace Doc in everyone's eyes had to be someone other than Wario.

Most of the speculation I engaged in during the Brawl days was after the trailer (Now that I think about it, I can't remember what my old account was to be honest...).

All I'm saying is that history may repeat itself again with the Zelda franchise this time around.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, but what I mean is, people thought Doc would be replaced by Bowser Jr. or Toad, or Paper Mario, but in the end, it didn't happen, and in "Smash Bros. Canon" (whatever that is...), Wario is under his WarioWare franchise, not as a Mushroom Kingdom rep.

I feel no-one took Doc's place back then because there were more important reps to fill the roster like Toon Link and Ike (which was my argument), and none of the new Mario reps really stood out. However, now it's the opposite, none of the Zelda reps really stand out, and some of the new Mario reps are better additions this time around.

I predict that Toon Link will get cut getting replaced by no-one and we'll go back to 5 Mario reps with either Toad or Paper Mario taking the 5th spot.
If Zelda and Mario lose a character, I won't be surprised if the Pokemon cast would also stay completely the same. I think it's likely that Mario and Zelda at least get a new character, only for the fact they didn't get one in Brawl. Especially Mario. Really, really wanna see Toad make it. Impa as well.

They make sence, as they're both kinda like the protectors of their princesses. I don't think any other franchises besides Mario and Zelda would have the right to have supporting characters as them in Smash. If Impa is separate from Zelda, we'd still have 5 Zelda characters on the roster. And with Toad's inclusion, Mario and Zelda are even again, like in Melee.

Overall I want the Mario and Zelda franchises with 5 characters, so that any other franchise can get more characters to compensate for that. Like Donkey Kong, which wouldn't then be so bad having 4 DKC characters next to 5 Mario characters for example. If they leave Mario at 4, even King K.Rool would be hard pressed perhaps...

Diddy also wasn't even a semi-Mario rep... :glare:

Heavy weights need more poking like attacks, to keep the faster characters at bay. Donkey Kong can semi-effectively do this sometimes due to his long range, but he suffers from predictablity, as the only move on par with most fast characters is his very predictable Back Aerial. Still, loved the hell out of Brawl's DK though! In Melee, DK and Ganondorf are also beasts. I think I enjoy them more than any other character that isn't Mewtwo.

D

Deleted member

Heavyweight characters in general suffer from the hands of fast characters, because of their large size and weight making them very vulnerable to combos. Because of how slowly they move, getting the upperhand on the fast characters is a challenge since they easily get overwhelmed by speed, preventing them from countering. Bowser and Ganondorf are very good examples of what I mean.

Heavyweight characters that can solve this problem are generally better then the ones that cannot.
Most of it comes down to Smash Bros' mechanics to be honest. The fact that the game has a huge disregard for traditional strings and combos is very detrimental for characters with slow mobility. The only way they stand any chance is if you slow the engine down and give them the broken ability to chain grab by making them very grapple heavy. I can guarantee that Dedede would become absolute garbage if the game engine is speed up to just halfway between Brawl and Melee.

I talked about this over in the General Thread, but Ike is a perfect example of a character who lacks the ability to use his power to full potential because most of his strong hits break down into getting lucky when landing powerful blows, thus he remains as a very mediocre character who needs an awkward playstyle to be any good. If characters were allowed to chain among their tilts (e.g. for Ike: 5A>5A>2A>8A>8Smash), heavy characters would have much more of an edge. This combined with good defenses (less knockback, less damage, less hitstun), some fast pokes, and some good Anti-Air, and suddenly you balance out the roster.

Anyway, I get more in-depth about it over at the General Thread, mentioning a bunch of desired mechanics. Of course a lot of those would require Sakurai to take a very competitive mindset with Smash 4, or the Smash franchise getting a reboot (hence my question last page), but maybe Namco can at least throw us a bone here.

EDIT:
@Diddy
Zelda DID get a new rep in Brawl: What is Toon Link?

Mario can get the new rep this time around, and Zelda can lose one character.

With the Big 3, it'll be this imo:
Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Paper Mario/Toad

Zelda:
Link
Zelda/Shiek
Ganon/dorf

Pokemon:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Red
Lucario
Gen 6 Pkmn

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
They should expand on super armor moves as well. That was a welcome addition in Brawl though, but I hope they improve on it.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
If Zelda and Mario lose a character, I won't be surprised if the Pokemon cast would also stay completely the same. I think it's likely that Mario and Zelda at least get a new character, only for the fact they didn't get one in Brawl. Especially Mario. Really, really wanna see Toad make it. Impa as well.

They make sence, as they're both kinda like the protectors of their princesses. I don't think any other franchises besides Mario and Zelda would have the right to have supporting characters as them in Smash. If Impa is separate from Zelda, we'd still have 5 Zelda characters on the roster. And with Toad's inclusion, Mario and Zelda are even again, like in Melee.

Overall I want the Mario and Zelda franchises with 5 characters, so that any other franchise can get more characters to compensate for that. Like Donkey Kong, which wouldn't then be so bad having 4 DKC characters next to 5 Mario characters for example. If they leave Mario at 4, even King K.Rool would be hard pressed perhaps...

Diddy also wasn't even a semi-Mario rep... :glare:

Heavy weights need more poking like attacks, to keep the faster characters at bay. Donkey Kong can semi-effectively do this sometimes due to his long range, but he suffers from predictablity, as the only move on par with most fast characters is his very predictable Back Aerial. Still, loved the hell out of Brawl's DK though!

Imo heavyweights standard combo Triple (A) should remain as fast as lightweights or Just something like that needs to be done. Every heavy chars needs a breathing move to punish lightweights Ganon lightning jab and bowsers ground whirling fortress etc.

But them moves get stale quick action needs to be taken Lightweights need to think twice about ''Oww a fat bowser let me just go combo the crap outta him then space animal sidekick him out..''

Instead of heavys..just relying on them missing a movd or predicting a dodge to smash attach them in the other direction..you cant even get out of a combo from fox/falco when bowser untill your damage percent gets like about 30-60 percent..when the knockback starts kicking in and forces you out not like you escaped you were pushed out..

So much for heavys being harder to knockout when yoy can rack up to 50 damage on them from 0 in like 15 Seconds...

Its ''Shown'' As lightweights do little damage and knock back but attack very fast and can combo easier to rack up damage fast to high level to then K.O

Heavyweights are meant to KO guys in fewer moves there moves have more knockback but are slow. But there movement is slow to and there time to jump and there jump and recovery suck compared to lightweights and there roll dodge is slow too..

Making lightweights fill out there role i mentioned above before Heavys get started..

D

Deleted member

Imo heavyweights standard combo Triple (A) should remain as fast as lightweights or Just something like that needs to be done.

Its ''Shown'' As lightweights do little damage and knock back but attack very fast and can combo easier to rack up damage fast to high level to then K.O

Heavyweights are meant to KO guys in fewer moves there moves have more knockback but are slow. But there movement is slow to and there time to jump and there jump and recovery suck compared to lightweights and there roll dodge is slow too..

Making lightweights fill out there role i mentioned above before Heavys get started..

The problem with that is that trying to find the right balance between giving the heavyweights just the right amount of Power and Speed must be a HUGE balancing pain in the ***. Make their attacks too good, and suddenly they're Broken. Try taking on a Heavyweight Metalized foe with a light-weight, it's no easy task. Your best bet it to push them off the edge, but their attacks ****ING HURT. I believe making heavy characters too strong is precisely what Sakurai has been wanting to avoid all along, and why he's been nerfing them so much. In a game where you earn kills by playing King of the Hill, obviously heavyweights have a natural edge, we all saw how easily Ganondorf becomes a High-Tier character in Melee.

This can all simply be solved by allowing ALL characters to chain and string attacks. Sure at high damages close range combos are useless thanks to the added knockback, but thats the beauty of it, it adds a very nice degree of fluidity and diversity in regard to combat. Heavy characters are not meant to chase down opponents. They're meant to defend, giving them faster attacks alone isn't likely to fix much of the problem, they need a number of things to balance things out, don't forget Smash's fixation on aerial prowess. Heavy to Lightweight, Air to Ground, Offense to Defense and all the in-betweens these are all diverse aspects of combat in this game, and ALL need to be balanced. You can't have a game where the heavyweights need to be modified into awkward Offensive characters because it won't work. That's not what they're supposed to specialize in.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
The problem with that is that trying to find the right balance between giving the heavyweights just the right amount of Power and Speed must be a HUGE balancing pain in the ***. Make their attacks too good, and suddenly they're Broken. Try taking on a Heavyweight Metalized foe with a light-weight, it's no easy task. Your best bet it to push them off the edge, but their attacks ****ING HURT. I believe making heavy characters too strong is precisely what Sakurai has been wanting to avoid all along, and why he's been nerfing them so much. In a game where you earn kills by playing King of the Hill, obviously heavyweights have a natural edge, we all saw how easily Ganondorf becomes a High-Tier character in Melee.

This can all simply be solved by allowing ALL characters to chain and string attacks. Sure at high damages close range combos are useless thanks to the added knockback, but thats the beauty of it, it adds a very nice degree of fluidity and diversity in regard to combat. Heavy characters are not meant to chase down opponents. They're meant to defend, giving them faster attacks alone isn't likely to fix much of the problem, they need a number of things to balance things out, don't forget Smash's fixation on aerial prowess. Heavy to Lightweight, Air to Ground, Offense to Defense and all the in-betweens these are all diverse aspects of combat in this game, and ALL need to be balanced. You can't have a game where the heavyweights need to be modified into awkward Offensive characters because it won't work. That's not what they're supposed to specialize in.

Good point and i know it would be hard and ofc Sakurai wouldnt go through the Nightmare of doing that because its a competetive chore which is a no no...

But do you think Namco will attempt at it on behalf of Sakurai? or will he be such a scumbag that even though hes not doing it he excludes namco to add the depth tp the game because him being scared it might turn into Melee 2.0 and not Mario Party 10 like he wants?

D

Deleted member

Good point and i know it would be hard and ofc Sakurai wouldnt go through the Nightmare of doing that because its a competetive chore which is a no no...

But do you think Namco will attempt at it on behalf of Sakurai? or will he be such a scumbag that even though hes not doing it he excludes namco to add the depth tp the game because him being scared it might turn into Melee 2.0 and not Mario Party 10 like he wants?

I think the fact that Namco was hired to work on balancing is a good sign we may get some new "more competitive" mechanics to play with.

Leaving Sakurai to worry simply about dealing with the creative ideas of Smash Bros.

This I think, is a nice balance in regard to development, and may bring fruition to many other things as well.

Personally, I think that Smash 4 being Melee 2.0 is a bad thing. As much as I love Melee, the game has its flaws and Smash 4 would be better off finding its own identity, than trying to copy it like Zelda copies OoT and Mario SMB3. When you try to do this, the games begin to lack soul and simply become empty shells. Sure they may be THE BEST EVAR in appearance, but many of the fundamental things that made the original good, are now missing. Perfect examples of what I mean are Skyward Sword and New Super Mario Bros Wii/Super Mario 3D Land.

A more competitive focus wouldn't hurt though. The casuals will eat up just about anything you throw at them if it's hyped enough, so Sakurai shouldn't worry about "making the game too hard" or other crap like that. Hopefully with Namco on board the game will take the direction it needs to take. I'm certainly hopeful for that.

My dream game would have been if Aksys and Arc System Works were brought on board to work on mechanics and balance instead of Namco, though Tekken 6, TTT2 and SC are all great games so we'll see what we get.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Manly Spirit hit it right on the head. As good as something gets, that game is done. Let's get something new.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Since there is a team handling the balance instead of only one guy, I feel confident that we will have a more balanced roster then any other Super Smash Bros. game out there. Of course it wouldn't be perfect since that would be impossible, but at least be fair across the board.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
you can never achieve perfection when balancing the roster, but you can make it as balanced as possible. I think Namco Bandai are experient with the game genre and I think it was a good choice on Sakurai's part.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Since there is a team handling the balance instead of only one guy, I feel confident that we will have a more balanced roster then any other Super Smash Bros. game out there. Of course it wouldn't be perfect since that would be impossible, but at least be fair across the board.
Like i said many times before as long as its gameplay is better then brawls im happy.

Chepe

Smash Lord
The Pokemon announcement set for the 8th is now being recognized by English Pokemon websites (US and UK/Ireland as far as I know) and are even counting down to it themselves. The last time a major Pokemon announcement was touted internationally was for the joint revelation of Black/White and Reshiram/Zekrom to the whole world:

http://pokebeach.com/2013/01/offici...also-posts-about-the-january-8th-announcement

Even if it's not a full-blown announcement of Gen 6 games, it could very well be a silhouette or teaser that hints or confirms a new Pokemon for the Genesect movie (which could allow them to reveal the full title of the movie, as expected by many). Either way, this is looking less and less likely to be a mere spinoff as many seem to predict.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
interesting... what kind of surprise are we going to get on that day...?

just a matter of waiting 4 days, I guess...

anyhoo, we'd better prepare to be mind blown.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
The Pokemon announcement set for the 8th is now being recognized by English Pokemon websites (US and UK/Ireland as far as I know) and are even counting down to it themselves. The last time a major Pokemon announcement was touted internationally was for the joint revelation of Black/White and Reshiram/Zekrom to the whole world:

http://pokebeach.com/2013/01/offici...also-posts-about-the-january-8th-announcement

Even if it's not a full-blown announcement of Gen 6 games, it could very well be a silhouette or teaser that hints or confirms a new Pokemon for the Genesect movie (which could allow them to reveal the full title of the movie, as expected by many). Either way, this is looking less and less likely to be a mere spinoff as many seem to predict.

All aboard the hype train is very to depart? xD theres still that bogus Jan31st Sm4sg nintendo direct thinga ma jig...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
People all over the world. Join hands. Join the Hype Train, the Hype Train....
Do you know whats really sad..and something i cant beilieve i was suckerd into again..

I was waiting this long for Brawl too..

When Brawl was like first announced and them first images of giga bowser in action on delfino level.. i was super pumped up hype from then all the way to release..

And then hugely happy then hugley dissapointed..I promised myself after that i would never go over hyped for a game that hard and that far along ever again..

And here i am..waiting even longer! (-_-)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
you can never achieve perfection when balancing the roster, but you can make it as balanced as possible. I think Namco Bandai are experient with the game genre and I think it was a good choice on Sakurai's part.
I'm confident they'll be an improvement too, but just don't put Namco on a pedestal when it comes to balancing, as they've had broken characters/unbalanced games themselves in the past.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
More like the train that is about to make Pokémon a loathsome topic around this board again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom