• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I feel the Pokemon gens have been going by too fast since after the 3rd one or so.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Pokemon being a loathsome topic can't happen again since it was always loathsome. It's pretty much deader then disco at this point.

D

Deleted member

you can never achieve perfection when balancing the roster, but you can make it as balanced as possible. I think Namco Bandai are experient with the game genre and I think it was a good choice on Sakurai's part.
This. I agree, not even Arksys and Capcom can achieve perfect balance in a roster. The only way to this is by having nothing but clones. But a degree of imbalance is what makes subsequent entries in fighters so exciting. Getting to see all the new tricks characters get, and where your favorite characters stand on the tier list.

The Pokemon announcement set for the 8th is now being recognized by English Pokemon websites (US and UK/Ireland as far as I know) and are even counting down to it themselves. The last time a major Pokemon announcement was touted internationally was for the joint revelation of Black/White and Reshiram/Zekrom to the whole world:

http://pokebeach.com/2013/01/offici...also-posts-about-the-january-8th-announcement

Even if it's not a full-blown announcement of Gen 6 games, it could very well be a silhouette or teaser that hints or confirms a new Pokemon for the Genesect movie (which could allow them to reveal the full title of the movie, as expected by many). Either way, this is looking less and less likely to be a mere spinoff as many seem to predict.
People all over the world. Join hands. Join the Hype Train, the Hype Train....

I'M TELLING YOU DUDE, IT GENERATION SIX, DUUUUDE, GEN SIX MAN!!! NEW POKEMANS AND STUFFFFF!

Anyway, slightly offtopic, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfvY1S-j67k needs to be in Smash 4. I don't care how. Maybe a more gloomy, emotional Fire Emblem stage a la Fountain of Dreams, but it's GOTTA be in.

D

Deleted member

I feel the Pokemon gens have been going by too fast since after the 3rd one or so.
Actually, they've all been coming out every 1300 days or so. Count them out yourself.

The only difference now is that you're older and thus your perception of time has sped up.

On year when you were a kid was like.... foreeeeever. Now, one year goes by in the blink of an eye.

On the subject of Pokemon, it'll be interesting to see the new Mons, but I don't plan on picking it up, unless it's truly revolutionary. I haven't bought a single Pokemon Game since Diamond, and I don't plan on doing so ever again.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Pokemon being a loathsome topic can't happen again since it was always loathsome. It's pretty much deader then disco at this point.
It's been agreeable lately since I haven't had to hear about how Zoroark, or some other random Pokémon is a "lock" for the next Super Smash Bros. If this news is a new set of games, then this cycle is going to repeat all over again! Then I'll have to hear about why Kokomonju is now a lock for Super Smash Bros, and a myriad of other discussions that will spawn...

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
It's been agreeable lately since I haven't had to hear about how Zoroark, or some other random Pokémon is a "lock" for the next Super Smash Bros. If this news is a new set of games, then this cycle is going to repeat all over again! Then I'll have to hear about why Kokomonju is now a lock for Super Smash Bros, and a myriad of other discussions that will spawn...

Kokomonju: The Kokomo Pokemon. It likes Beach Boys music.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Actually, they've all been coming out every 1300 days or so. Count them out yourself.

The only difference now is that you're older and thus your perception of time has sped up.

On year when you were a kid was like.... foreeeeever. Now, one year goes by in the blink of an eye.

On the subject of Pokemon, it'll be interesting to see the new Mons, but I don't plan on picking it up, unless it's truly revolutionary. I haven't bought a single Pokemon Game since Diamond, and I don't plan on doing so ever again.
I know that feel. I truly know it...

I would suggest you to buy Black / White, alongside the sequels since these games have more storyline than the previous games.

But yeah, it's always fun to see what kind of new ideas they can make with the franchise, since they base the designs from ranging from common animals to objects to mythological creatures.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm going to cry and laugh at the same time when the new Pokemon is revealed, and it turns out to be lamer then lame like Cherubi, and people will still hype it to hell and back because "it's NEW GUIZE".

D

Deleted member

I know that feel. I truly know it...

I would suggest you to buy Black / White, alongside the sequels since these games have more storyline than the previous games.

But yeah, it's always fun to see what kind of new ideas they can make with the franchise, since they base the designs from ranging from common animals to objects to mythological creatures.
Oh, I've played and beaten Black and White and Black2 and White2 both in English and Japanese, the best Pokemon games by far, I just never BOUGHT them. :troll:

D

Deleted member

Ahem... HG/SS Wants a word with you mister and so does FR/LG After that!

:phone:
Sorry, but Gen 5 ****s all over the previous Generations. That's as good as any Pokemon game is ever gonna get with the current formula imo.

HG/SS had the same problems Gen 2 had, incredibly easy early game, and super-inbalanced postgame where your Pokemon would sweep across the Kanto Gyms without as much of a sneeze. Not to mention the awful level scale. You can blast through all of HG/SS/GSC with nothing but your starter if you really wanted (unless you picked the Grass Starter).

FR/LG are great remakes though. I loved the Sevii Islands. Gen 5 is still better though.

@Gamingboy
B/W where better than the sequels imo. Unless you count the romhacks. The higher difficulty in B/W makes them superior to B2/W2. That was the only flaw in the sequel, I'm still waiting for a decent difficult romhack on the sequels to come out before giving them a go in English.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Oh, I've played and beaten Black and White and Black2 and White2 both in English and Japanese, the best Pokemon games by far, I just never BOUGHT them. :troll:
oh, I see! (o.o)

by the way, Chandelure is the best Pokémon ever, hands down. now let's see what will be revealed on Jan 8th...

Habanero, watch those comments, or someone might call you a genwunner... :troll:

EDIT: Once again, I agree with ManlySpirit. Gen V was the best generation.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Sorry, but Gen 5 ****s all over the previous Generations. That's as good as any Pokemon game is ever gonna get with the current formula imo.

HG/SS had the same problems Gen 2 had, incredibly easy early game, and super-inbalanced postgame where your Pokemon would sweep across the Kanto Gyms without as much of a sneeze. Not to mention the awful level scale. You can blast through all of HG/SS/GSC with nothing but your starter if you really wanted (unless you picked the Grass Starter).

FR/LG are great remakes though. I loved the Sevii Islands. Gen 5 is still better though,
Sigh..cant deny thats true..

I dunno maybe im just a suckker for nostalgia..

B/W1 was better then gen 3 & 4 ugh..i hated gen4 the most..the music was annoying...

I'm going to cry and laugh at the same time when the new Pokemon is revealed, and it turns out to be lamer then lame like Cherubi, and people will still hype it to hell and back because "it's NEW GUIZE".
Loool i like how you always say whats in my head! Well..not alwayzzz.

D

Deleted member

Sigh..cant deny thats true..

I dunno maybe im just a suckker for nostalgia..

B/W1 was better then gen 3 & 4 ugh..i hated gen4 the most..the music was annoying...

Agreed, I hated Gen 4. Something about it just struck me wrong. I have a soft spot for Gen 3 for some reason. Emerald is still one of my favorite in the franchise.

Though, Gens 3, 4 and 1 have the best starters.

Gen 1 in 3rd place because Charizard a ****. But Blastoice and the rest of that line make up for it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I do admit that Gen 3 and Gen 4 did a really nice job with the starters, mainly because all of them were worth the time and effort to train. They had that sense of power that made them viable options from being an offensive powerhouse like Blaziken to an effective tank like Empoleon. Even in the competitive side of the fanbase they still felt worth using because of whatever they offered to the table.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Agreed, I hated Gen 4. Something about it just struck me wrong. I have a soft spot for Gen 3 for some reason. Emerald is still one of my favorite in the franchise.

Though, Gens 3, 4 and 1 have the best starters.

Gen 1 in 3rd place because Charizard a ****. But Blastoice and the rest of that line make up for it.
Gen 3 was scariest...

Although that house in B/W2 was a good one..i like how in each gen theres a place that makes you crap your pants xD. Sealed chamber devastated me..still does..

Its above R/B Lavender tower in creepy...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Watching my cousin's daughters (6 and 4) going nuts with Peach and Zelda in Melee right now, I think they are going to love Palutena in SSB4. I guess they are Nintendo's answer to Disney Princess. :awesome:

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I'd say it goes about like this:

Gen 2
Gen 5
Gen 1
Gen 3
Gen 4

I'm just talking main-series games here, not counting the remake waves or spin-offs. There's a pretty big gap between Gen 3 and Gen 4, although I did find Diamond and Pearl fun, just not, y'know, up to standards previously set.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Gen 2
Gen 5
Gen 1
Gen 3
Gen 4

I'm just talking main-series games here, not counting the remake waves or spin-offs.
Its Hard to say..different gens are better in diffo ways like spirit said.

Gen3 Was very emotional imo.. the starting music in littleroot is very depressing..

Although Gen 3 was the shortest and easiest it was full of magical juice in a small container.

XD like Capri Sun.

Chepe

Smash Lord
I'd rather be called that then be a sucker for false hype.
It seems that you're not exactly fond of Pokemon, or at least think that expecting Gen 6 is foolhardy. But really, this expectation of a new gen announcement is not unwarranted. Many of those who follow Pokemon and its happenings across various media (this includes the games and the anime) can give you various reasons why Gen 5 has all the signs of a generation being rushed to move on to the next.

The only reason it's relevant to this thread is for speculation regarding the Pokemon roster in Smash 4. Should Gen 6 become a real thing for this year, it will completely change the discussion about Pokemon. And with Pokemon being such a massively successful franchise for Nintendo, it stands to reason that GameFreak/tPC would get a generally bigger say in what gets into Smash regarding their properties (and indeed, Sakurai has said that they're particularly harder to please than other companies).

Gen 2
Gen 5
Gen 1
Gen 3
Gen 4

I'm just talking main-series games here, not counting the remake waves or spin-offs. There's a pretty big gap between Gen 3 and Gen 4, although I did find Diamond and Pearl fun, just not, y'know, up to standards previously set.
Gen 1 above Gen 3?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

I guess getting older might've had to do with it then, and the increased lack of Pokemon content on consoles after the 3rd gen (I don't count Battle Revolution with how shallow and soulless it was). Like others, I want another Stadium or some kind of sequel to Colosseum/XD (with or without Shadow Pokemon), but doubt it'll happen at this point too. :(

FR/LG are great remakes though. I loved the Sevii Islands. Gen 5 is still better though.
Being able to sweep through the game with just your starter is something that can be said for any Pokemon games though really, not just gen II ones. At least from my experience. The easiness (for lack of better word) of gen II and HG/SS didn't really take away from the enjoyment of it for me, but I agree about the quality of gen 5 still.

If you ever want a real challenge from gen II though, try round 2 on Pokemon Stadium 2 with rentals only and see how far you get. :troll:

D

Deleted member

Gen 2
Gen 5
Gen 1
Gen 3
Gen 4

For me it's:

Gen 5>Gen 3>Gen 2>>>Gen 4>Gen 1

Nostalgia aside, Gen 1 was all kinds of broken. Speed based critical hits, poison loops, cluttered bag, glitches, etc... I can hardly call Gen 1 a good Gen in retrospect, it began the craze, but really Red/Blue/Green/Yellow are only good because of the remakes in Gen 3. If you compare them to the rest of the series you become aware of how awful they are. Not awful as in "oh they aged bad" no awful is in poorly designed games. The only reason we liked them is because we were kids and didn't know any better. As a kid I somehow endured Rugrats in Paris, and actually LIKED Sonic Adventure 2, which is arguably as bad as 06 (ok, maybe not that bad, but it's still a poorly designed game).

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Yes, without nostalgia-factor, Gen 1 JUST above Gen 4 and below Gen 3. I'm not sure why, but Gen 4 always struck me the wrong way.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well I guess no gen can please everyone.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The only reason it's relevant to this thread is for speculation regarding the Pokemon roster in Smash 4. Should Gen 6 become a real thing for this year, it will completely change the discussion about Pokemon. And with Pokemon being such a massively successful franchise for Nintendo, it stands to reason that GameFreak/tPC would get a generally bigger say in what gets into Smash regarding their properties (and indeed, Sakurai has said that they're particularly harder to please than other companies).
That is the problem, people are just going to expect whatever happens and it's not going to generate any form of excitement. Super Smash Bros. is not a game designed to advertise whatever franchise out there, it's a game where the biggest names from Nintendo come together and beat the hell of each other. A character that is entered solely to advertise some sort of new game is probably the shallowest thing ever and should not be promoted.

(Also I am aware of Roy, but that doesn't make him any less shallow.)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't really care about seeing the new Pokemon from 6th gen games (except when it's about Smash). I'm only interested in seeing new bara art of the new human male characters from the 6th gen games. :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom