• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I have a hard time picturing how Diskun would work as a plausible fighter in Smash considering he doesn't even have limbs and is merely a logo slapped on the side of a Famicom Disk System. Maybe he could work as a NPC in the story mode where he is the god/creator of the Nintendo multiverse and he is revealed to be the one behind Master Hand (order) and Crazy Hand (chaos) or something.

D

Deleted member

Don't give me that crap. After all, wasn't it YOU that was trying to pull the "Pac-Man support isn't real" card on GameFaqs? Stating that "the only reason people care about him now is because Namco is helping with Smash"?

If anything, the Lloyd "bashing" you see is justified after all the Pac-Bashing you've been doing.

And your latest point on GameFaqs is especially irritating.

"Only good argument people have for Pacman: "He's well-known than Lloyd, boosts the sales".

Aside from all this, he's just beyond generic. I doubt he'd even create as much oomph as Sonic's or even Snake's reveal."

You have yet to make any good arguments for Lloyd or a Tales character in general.
And "beyond generic"? How is one of gaming's largest icons any more generic than yet another swordsman from a niche series?
If it's by what his moveset would probably be like, how is that any different from Sonic, who has most of his moves involve spinning in a ball or other generic attacks? At least Pac-Man would have more variety than that.

And if you think Lloyd would make the same amount of "oomph" as Snake and Sonic, then there's a problem.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Don't give me that crap. After all, wasn't it YOU that was trying to pull the "Pac-Man support isn't real" card on GameFaqs? Stating that "the only reason people care about him now is because Namco is helping with Smash"?

If anything, the Lloyd "bashing" you see is justified after all the Pac-Bashing you've been doing.
I would admit that. But I hadn't done it actively (I don't even visit GameFAQs often) and besides, I brought it out because I found it intriguing that Pac's support went way up after Namco was told to develop Smash 4. Questionable way to do it, you can say. But I had my motives. And it wasn't to bash Pac-Man. Most of the time I say that he's generic (and I mean it). But I haven't said anything else. I acknowledge his fame and all, but I find him very generic and I'm not very blown away by his games after the core arcade titles he's been known for.

But now you put the blame on me for Lloyd getting bashed, and in general say that Lloyd's bashing is justified because the one's supporting him tend to loathe or not want Pac-Man over him. I dunno would things change if one's supporting Pac-Man would have seen supporters of Tales Of not bashing Pac-Man, they would have still labeled them generic or similar otherwise.

D

Deleted member

Generic is a horrible argument, as it can be applied to Lloyd more heavily than Pac-Man, and it can even apply to Smash's OTHER popular requests.
Ridley? Just a dragon.
Little Mac? A boxer. How interesting.
Takamaru? Another swordsman. Oh, he's a samurai? Too bad. Just another swordsman.
Toad? A little mushroom kid that is mostly assosiated with Mario's and Luigi's abilities? Generic.
Waluigi? Another Italian in overalls.
Mega Man? A small blue Samus.

The list goes ON and ON.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe Pac-Man does have many more fans than Tales and Tekken characters but they were in the closet, feeling demoralized because most people online are always raving about Tales and Tekken characters, and then when Namco was revealed to be making SSB4, they felt confident to come out as Pac-Man fans and express their support for Pac-Man because 1) Pac-Man is THE mascot of Namco and 2) Namco is making SSB4.

Kinda like how most Toad fans were somewhat quiet during pre-Brawl days when most people were going nuts over Geno and Bowser Jr. and then when Toad started getting more major roles in main Mario games, not just spin-off Mario games, they came out and started getting vocal about it. Maybe?

D

Deleted member

I want to make an obligatory "in the closet" joke, but now's not the time. :laugh:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Maybe Pac-Man does have many more fans than Tales and Tekken characters but they were in the closet, feeling demoralized because most people online are always raving about Tales and Tekken characters, and then when Namco was revealed to be making SSB4, they felt confident to come out as Pac-Man fans and express their support for Pac-Man because 1) Pac-Man is THE mascot of Namco and 2) Namco is making SSB4.
So I can't even mention that one of Tales Of-makers are working on the game and he even mentioned Lloyd (something even put up as news in Smashboards). Why all this has to be now made insignificant because of Pac-Man's support? I don't want to feel like a hated minority in Smash-fandom because I don't find Pac-Man an interesting choice to Smash Bros aside from his popularity and relevancy in videogaming.

And Yuui, it's not like I hadn't heard enough of Lloyd being labeled as generic either. In anycase, I find Pac-Man generic and don't find him a better inclusion over Lloyd (or hell, any other Namco-rep).

D

Deleted member

Anything can happen at this point.
It could be Pac-Man.
It could be Lloyd.
Hell, it could even be Heihachi.

However, bashing over flawed reasoning (opinion or not) is unacceptable while trying to glorify someone else over flawed reasoning is even more unacceptable.

Acceptable:
"I feel Lloyd is the best choice due to the director of the Tales series working on Smash 4 and mentioning Lloyd as a possible character choice for the series."

"I feel Pac-Man is the best choice due to being the mascot of Namco, like Mario is to Nintendo, and Namco is working on Smash 4."

Unacceptable:
"Lloyd is better than Pac-Man because Pac-Man is so generic because I don't care for the games where he did stuff and only care about the games that he did little!"

"Pac-Man is better than Lloyd becuase Lloyd is so generic because all he is is a swordsman and I don't care about the Tales series!"

EDIT: And if being a mascot and gaming icon makes them a poor choice just for being "generic", then why did we get Sonic instead of say, NiGHTS?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Anything can happen at this point.
It could be Pac-Man.
It could be Lloyd.
Hell, it could even be Heihachi.

However, bashing over flawed reasoning (opinion or not) is unacceptable while trying to glorify someone else over flawed reasoning is even more unacceptable.

Acceptable:
"I feel Lloyd is the best choice due to the director of the Tales series working on Smash 4 and mentioning Lloyd as a possible character choice for the series."

Unacceptable:
"Lloyd is better than Pac-Man because Pac-Man is so generic because I don't care for the games where he did stuff and only care about the games that he did little!"
Now that's just saying that I should have never brought up Pac-Man's support and why I think he's not that all of a "great candidate". If people would have bashed Lloyd for whatever reason and show why Pac-Man's better to support instead, I can only say this? Why can't I say "I find Pac-Man boring." for them instead? (And I looked through Pac-Man World-stuff. And like before, I acknowledge his fame. ) I'll admit, I had offended people with what I had said, but it doesn't mean I should eat my words on what I think about Pac-Man or not try to provoke anything with them if they would be prone to do so themselves.

Simply put from my opinion, he's popular, but otherwise underwhelming character for me.

EDIT: Sonic's cool. That's why everyone likes him. I hadn't though labeled Pac-Man as generic because of his mascot icon status and popularity. It's just that as a character, he's boring and seems bland. (Yes, he bites stuff, he eats ghosts, he runs around mazes. And then in World he has to use moves which seem take from other VG-characters: Butt Bounce = Ground Pound and Rev Roll = Spin Dash.)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Christmas comes late this year for Young Horsetail, here is the Lip moveset that I made all those years ago (N30N was also asking about it):

Lip is a character who uses a disjointed hitbox as her primary means of attack. Swords and hammers have generally been the only disjointed hitbox weapons in the Smash series. The Lip’s Stick offers a variety of new attacks because its properties differ from that of a sword or a hammer. The stick will be twirled and spinned a lot, as opposed to slashing, stabbing, and clobbering that is associated with swords and hammers. Also, while the flower sprouting from an opponent’s head is a famous attribute of Lip’s Stick thanks to the Smash Bros. series, it never actually happened in the Panel de Pon games. However, since this attribute has become famous due to the Smash series, I have decided to incorporate it with the moveset, though the flower sprouting only happens when Lip does a smash-a attack.

However, there is more Lip’s moveset than the use of Lip’s Stick. Obviously, when you attack your opponents in Puzzle League, you use something called “Garbage Blocks”. Expect “Garbage Blocks” and a regular Panels to make up a bulk of Lip’s special moves and Final Smash. However, some new original attributes will be given to Lip’s moveset as have been for other characters for the Smash roster. I am really hoping to make Lip a very interesting character addition.

Lip regular moves:
A: Lip smacks her opponent with the flower-baton.
AA: Lip smacks her opponent again with the flower-baton.
AAA: Lip twirls the flower-baton continuously.
Running-A: Lip does a forward flip, and opponents are harmed if they come into contact with her while she is doing the flip.
Side-A: Lip twirls the flower-baton in front of her, this move can also deflect projectile attacks (but not reflect).
Down-A: Lip does a double-roundhouse kick (meaning she roundhouse kicks with both of her legs, she stands on her hands while doing it)
Up-A: Lip jumps up and spins with her flower-baton raised up high.
A-Air: Lip spins around and smacks any nearby opponents with the flower-baton.
Forward-air: Lip somersaults in the air with the flower-baton.
Backward-air: Lip smacks in back of her with the flower-baton.
Up-Air: This move does not damage, it simply make the petals to the flower-baton grow in size until it is like a parasol and makes Lip fall down slowly.
Forward-Smash: Lip smacks her opponent with the flower-baton two times, before doing one final smack in which she jumps up ands smacks her opponent with baton. Depending on how long you charged up the smash attack, a flower of corresponding size will sprout on the head of the opponent you attacked.
Down-Smash: Lip spins on one foot multiple times. This moves does not knock your opponent back, it instead traps them, inside the whirling attack where they will be hit by the flower-baton multiple times which will make a larger flower grow on your opponent’s head with each consecutive hit.
Up-Smash: Lip will do a flip into the air, and somersault while in the air (any opponents who get hit while Lip is somersaulting down will be get hit multiple times with the flower-baton, which will result in a large flower sprouting from the opponent’s head). If you hit A, before she hits the ground, she will block her fall by doing a leaping handstand in which she repeats the Up-Smash over again. While this can result in a lot of damage, however, there is a bit of lag time after the second leap, which will make yourself vulnerable to attack.

Grabs:
Grab-A: Lip hits her grabbed opponent with the flower-baton.
Forward-Grab: Lip smacks her opponent forward with the flower-baton.
Backward-Grab: Lip kicks her opponent to the back of her (very weak).
Down-Grab: Lip smacks her opponent downward with the flower-baton.
Up-Grab: Lip will toss her opponent up (again it is a weak throw).

Lip special moves:

Regular-B: Junk Block: Lip’s flower-baton will glow and she will throw it a bit into the air, and then a junk block will appear over a nearby opponent’s head and land. A regular junk-block does 15% damage. However, Lip can summon bigger, and even multiple junk blocks as she gets more damaged.

Down-B: Petal Barrier: Lip will use the flower-baton in front of her, and the petals to it will temporarily grow. It will appear that Lip is using the flower-baton as a protective parasol. If opponent attacks her while in the stance, the flower-baton will shoot out seeds which will cause a flower to sprout on the attacking opponent’s head (the size of the flower though depends on how powerful the attempted move was going to be).

Side-B: Panel Toss: Lip tosses a random panel from the Puzzle League series at her opponents. The power and effect of the panel depends upon the symbol. Triangles do 10% damage but have a shocking effect to them and little more knock back. Hearts do 15% damage, and have a fire effect to them, but have less knockback than the triangle panels. Circles do 15% damage, but have no knockback. Star panels do 20% damage but have no knockback. Exclamation blocks are the rarest but getting hit by one does 40% damage, and result in a KO if your opponent has more than 50% damage done to him or her. If you get three of the same type of panel in a row, your opponent will get instantly KO’d, though this circumstance only has a 10% chance of happening.

Up-B: Watabou: The floating balloon-like creature in which Lip is holding onto on the Panel de Pon title screen. Lip will hold onto Watabou's string for a while, and then eventually let go of it (think Snake's recovery move)

Final Smash: Combos and Chains: The combo and chain fanfare plays, and Lip will spin her flower-baton around quickly like she does when she does a combo or chain in Panel de Pon. Lots and lots of junk blocks fall all across the arena. It is quite likely that your opponents will be KO’d if the arena happens to be small, and your opponents are not proficient at dodging.

Lip’s taunts are as follows:
1. Lip will spin around and wink at the screen, and giggle a bit.
2. Lip will throw the flower-baton up in the air, and make a ^_^ expression.
3. Lip will sit down, and then a ring of flowers will grow around her, when she gets back up the flowers disappear.

Lip’s victory animations are as follows:
1. Lip will do some flips and laugh with happiness.
2. Lip will be sitting down and have a whole bunch of flowers around her, and she will appear to be dowsing off.
3. Lip will stretch and then wink at the camera, and spin the flower-baton.

Running animation:
Lip will sort of have skipping aspect to her running animation, however, she has a determined “I must win this” cute look on her face while doing so.

Idle animation:
Lip will either be twirling the flower-baton or throwing it up in the air a bit. She will also hop a bit in place, all the while smiling (while sometimes her smile will turn to an arrogant smirk). Truly, Smash is not a stressful place for Lip.

Costumes:
1. Lip’s dress will be blue.
2. Lip’s dress will be green.
3. Lip’s dress be white.
4. Lip’s dress will be red.
5. Lip’s dress black and she will have white hair and red eyes (creepy).

Kirby Hat:
Kirby will gain Lip’s hairstyle upon absorbing her. He will also gain Junk-Block special move, however, the attributes about the move related to damage will not be carried over to Kirby.

Lip-Snake Codec Conversation:
Snake: Uh, colonel there looks to be some cute-looking girl with a flower stick as my opponent.
Campbell: Careful Snake, your opponent is Lip, the fairy of flowers.
Snake: *laughs*
Campbell: What’s so funny?
Snake: How do you expect me to fight a flower fairy, she is just a defenseless girl.
Campbell: Snake, that flower-baton she uses has a strange power. It can makes a vampiric flower sprout from the heads of the opponent’s she hits it with. If this flower is not removed, it slowly drains the life energy of its opponents.
Snake: Whaaaaat?! You got to be kidding me colonel. A cute girl like that would not harm even a bug.
Campbell: Not only that, she has ability to summon massive heavy blocks above the heads of her opponents which she uses to devastate and eliminate them, as well, as throw these mystical objects called panels. There seems to be a correlation between the symbol on them and their power, and I will say avoid the ones that have exclamation points on them at all costs.
Snake: This is the most absurd thing I ever heard, I think you are describing someone else to me.
Campbell: Snake remember, not everything is what it seems in Smash Bros. Things that would go against common sense and logic are the norm here. Lip is not an opponent you should underestimate, she has uncanny determination and power. Please don’t let her outward appearance fool you.
Snake: *sigh* I guess you are right, everything here is bizarre, would it be so hard to ask for a normal opponent in Smash Bros.
End of codec.

End of moveset.

Feel free to use it for your Lip support topic Young Horsetail.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Thanks a lot there! I think I actually had seen this back in GameFAQs before, since I tended to model my moveset a bit from this. Hum.

I'll do it soon.
I did some slight edits to my moveset due to grammar and wording errors, so this should be the version you should copy/paste if you decide to post it in your Lip support topic.

Here is some more Lip stuff I found btw while looking for my moveset:

Panel de Pon series sales:
Nintendo Puzzle Collection: 110K
Dr. Mario & Panel de Pon (Dr.Mario/Puzzle League): 89K
Panel de Pon DS (Planet Puzzle League): 143K

Source for Nintendo Puzzle Collection sales: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Famitsu_2003_video_game_sales
Source for Dr. Mario & Panel de Pon sales: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Famitsu_2005_video_game_sales
Source for Panel de Pon DS sales: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Famitsu_2007_video_game_sales

Here are some re-design sketches someone made of Lip:

Here is where Sakurai talks about Lip:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostReturn009.html

Translation of Sakurai's response for someone asking for Lip:
“Lip. What percentage of players know who she is?

But personally, I feel Panel de Pon is a true masterpiece. Those who’ve never played it, I highly recommend it if you get the chance."

Humurous fan-animated video of the Panel de Pon cast going to war against the Yoshi's Island (Tetris Attack) cast:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwyG2SbsSt0

Some observations on how the latest Panel de Pon (Planet Puzzle League/Panel de Pon DS) was received in Japan:
Apparently, the Japanese were very bitter (and some furious) about Panel de Pon DS.

They all asked: "Where's the cute?" (no literally, many of them said this). With one even saying the game had "no ounce of cuteness".

Most Panel de Pon fans were angry with the removal of the fairies and game having "no soul no feelings." Another reviewer called it "boring."

Since the developers at Intelligent Systems can actually read these reviews, perhaps they will contemplate making Lip and the fairies the stars of the next Panel de Pon they make.

If Intelligent Systems does plan to re-introduce Lip to the series (as what most of the Japanese fans want), then what better way to make her comeback than through Smash Bros. =) A brand new Lip would easily become one of the most popular newcomers despite very few outside Japan knowing who she is.

Here is the link to the Japanese reviews of Panel de Pon DS:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/任天堂-13306191-パネルでポンDS/dp/B000NOLWDC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316900515&sr=8-1

Credit goes to Snakey for finding this and highlighting the most noteworthy points in the reviews.

This goes to show that Lip and the fairies truly are loved and appreciated in Japan.

Another thing is that although the Panel de Pon stickers in Brawl are of the fairies from Nintendo Puzzle Collection, they have the names of their Panel de Pon counterparts (for example, Furil's artwork is named Lip). The funny thing is that this was true of even the Japanese version of Brawl.

That is all the Lip stuff I have.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Another thing is that although the Panel de Pon stickers in Brawl are of the fairies from Nintendo Puzzle Collection, they have the names of their Panel de Pon counterparts (for example, Furil's artwork is named Lio). The funny thing is that this was true of even the Japanese version of Brawl.

That is all the Lip stuff I have.
I remember all of this, hahah. I would have wished to show these around when doing my support topic. So yeah.

But this is an intriguing fact. Why would they label Furil as Lip? And other fairies too? Was this an oversight from their part? Weird.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I find the statement of Pac-man being generic kinda odd considering the character is pretty diverse in a vein to Mario. He has appeared in platform, racing, puzzle, party, and fighting games over the past 30 years or so and has done just about everything from riding giant mechs to shooting out lightening out of his hands.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The funny thing is that the latest Panel de Pon sold better than the latest Golden Sun and Starfy game in Japan. Of all the C-list series the only one whose latest installment sold better than Panel de Pon's was Custom Robo (which I think sold 10K more). Xenoblade is at around 185K in Japan though.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Habanero: Of course, but due this I think Pac's rather bland. Mario's also overlooked on Smash Bros for more interesting characters. (Might even apply to other spinoff games. Jack Of All Stats Guy.)

That is to say, I find Lloyd more interesting than Pac-Man in means of a Namco-rep. (And if anyone suddenly says that he's a sword user, then be my quest.).

Chrono: Well this is rather interesting (again.) Lip's bit in the strong grounds in Japan as it seems. Not calling her a glass cannon character for nothing.

D

Deleted member

The funny thing is that the latest Panel de Pon sold better than the latest Golden Sun and Starfy game in Japan. Of all the C-list series the only one whose latest installment sold better than Panel de Pon's was Custom Robo (which I think sold 10K more). Xenoblade is at around 185K in Japan though.
Could I see those sales data? I remember you posting them around June, 2011 on GameFAQs and I'd like to refresh my memory.

Mainly asking because I honestly think Custom Robo has a good chance of getting a new installment this generation (not that it'd help Ray's already grim chances of getting in Smash 4) since Noise did express interest in making a new game for the franchise back in February of this year.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I was remembering incorrectly about how Custom Robo DS sold (I was confusing it with an earlier installment),

Here is the last Custom Robo game's sales in Japan:

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Famitsu_2006_video_game_sales

So basically of all the most recent C-list series installments, Panel de Pon's latest installment sold the best in Japan.

The sad thing is that both Golden Sun and Starfy used to be 300K+ selling series in Japan. By comparison, not even Xenoblade broke 200K in Japan, and of the rest of the C-listers, only Panel de Pon's latest installment came close to 150K.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
^That data is from a while ago, before the latest installments of Starfy or Golden Sun even came out.

According to VGChartz (so take that for what it's worth), Starfy's latest game sold 200k in Japan, Xenoblade 180k, Puzzle League 160k, Golden Sun 130k, Custom Robo 120k, and S&P 60k.

I do agree that, for the most part, the C-List series all do seem to be slipping, which is quite unfortunate, as the majority of them are quite fun and quality games.

And I know it doesn't mean too much (and doesn't effect Japanese sales anyway), but counting all the pirated copies of Xenoblade would put it on a much higher level than most recent C-List Nintendo series. Shame it didn't get announced for outside Japan sooner, though Rainfall did more publicity for it than Nintendo themselves would ever even attempt to do. Balances out, I guess. :ohwell:
Especially since, unlike Nintendo says, Rainfall probably was what indeed ended up causing the localization. :smirk:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
^That data is from a while ago, before the latest installments of Starfy or Golden Sun even came out.

According to VGChartz (so take that for what it's worth), Starfy's latest game sold 200k in Japan, Xenoblade 180k, Puzzle League 160k, Golden Sun 130k, Custom Robo 120k, and S&P 60k.

I do agree that, for the most part, the C-Listquite unfortunate, as the majority of them are quite fun and quality games.
Throw out anything you hear from VGChartz. You get banned at NeoGAF for using them as a source, and even GameFAQs laughs at people who cite them. The guy who is behind that site pretty much admitted that half of his numbers are his own estimates.

Whenever I cite sales, I either use Media Create or Famitsu, which are professional Japanese video games sales recording outlets.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn sold less than 100K (I believe 80K) according to Media Create, which should show you just how far off VGChartz is.

Sin & Punishment 2 did not even break 25K according to Media Create.

Again, throw out the Chartz. :laugh:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
What ya think this means for Lip's chances though? PdP hadn't had a game since 2007 (though Lip's cameo in Captain Rainbow counts but I dunno if it's significant compared to Mac and Takamaru).

I tend to think Lip as a glass cannon character, she seems to have some higher sticks compared to other characters, but on the other hand she's has the factors driving against her (japan-only, obscure)
I bet if Tetris Attack would have been released in it's original form featuring Lip, she might have been much more likely to be playable (or even been playable this point). Who knows.

D

Deleted member

Now that's just saying that I should have never brought up Pac-Man's support and why I think he's not that all of a "great candidate". If people would have bashed Lloyd for whatever reason and show why Pac-Man's better to support instead, I can only say this? Why can't I say "I find Pac-Man boring." for them instead? (And I looked through Pac-Man World-stuff. And like before, I acknowledge his fame. ) I'll admit, I had offended people with what I had said, but it doesn't mean I should eat my words on what I think about Pac-Man or not try to provoke anything with them if they would be prone to do so themselves.
In all honesty, no. You should not have tried to claim that Pac-Man support isn't real. It was an unwarranted attack on the fanbase that happens to be more vocal now that their character actually has a decent chance now.

And I didn't say you can't say "I find Pac-Man boring". I said you couldn't say something on the order of "Every other Namco character is better than Pac-Man because he's generic just because I don't care for his abilities in games where he did them." Which essentially is what you just recently said.

As for the "others" in which you're trying to justify your actions, there is no justification.
People are allowed to believe whatever the Hell they want about a character. But when they use it in a deragatory manner against the fanbase, like you did, that's not good. And if for example, the Pac-Man fans did the same thing you did but against Lloyd instead, then yeah, that's not acceptable either.
But that's not what's going on, now is it? It's just people saying that they don't want Lloyd because he's not Pac-Man. So all it is right now is a conflict of interest. You want Lloyd, you don't want Pac-Man, and it makes you angry that people don't want Lloyd because they want Pac-Man.

EDIT: Sonic's cool. That's why everyone likes him. I hadn't though labeled Pac-Man as generic because of his mascot icon status and popularity. It's just that as a character, he's boring and seems bland. (Yes, he bites stuff, he eats ghosts, he runs around mazes. And then in World he has to use moves which seem take from other VG-characters: Butt Bounce = Ground Pound and Rev Roll = Spin Dash.)
Sonic being "cool" is irrelevant and subjective, as it implies that Pac-Man isn't "cool" to people and again, implying once again that Pac-Man support isn't real.

As for all his techniques, plenty of characters in existance "borrow" similar abilities, though bear in mind, they are only similar.
You compare the Butt Bounce to Ground Pound, however, outside of the moves both involving butt stomping, there's a reason why it's called the Butt Bounce. He bounces into the air after doing so, making him able to do it again. This makes it more comparable to Sonic's Bounce Bracelet from SA2, which debuted AFTER the Butt Bounce.
It's also possible to power up the move and cause shockwaves, something Ground Pound has never done.
Rev Roll, while similar to the Spin Dash, is much faster, and can be stopped on a dime.
Pac-Dot Shoot, I have yet to see other notable money throwing techniques (Pac-Dots are currency in Pac-Man World).
Flip Kick, a rather generic move, is still from what I see a Pac-Man exclusive in platformers.
Steel Body, yes is like Metal Mario, but it is used more by Pac-Man than Mario. (Unnecessary due to Metal Box)
In platformers, Tiny Pac is arguably the first where the user has to temporarily shrink themselves in order to continue through the level. (Unnecessary due to Poison Mushroom)
Fly Dots, while similar to Sonic's Light Speed Dash, is more similar to Sonic Adventure 2's version, which debuted after Pac-Man World.
Electro Shock from Pac-Man World 3, is not similar to any other VG electric user I know of.

Red Ribbon Power from the same game also seems to be a Pac-Man exclusive.

And I can easily say Mega Man is boring, given that he is "Jump and Shoot Man" and he rips off Samus with the whole arm cannon shtick.
Even if he's able to shoot different things from his cannon, so is Samus.
Them having different repitoires of weapons doesn't make a difference.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
-Stuff that renders my stuff useless-
Fair enough, I never thought they were too accurate anyway, but I was mostly using it as an example of how the majority of the C-List series are indeed slipping (which it still shows even if the results weren't very accurate). Turns out the situation was even more dire than I thought. :laugh::urg:

What ya think this means for Lip's chances though? PdP hadn't had a game since 2007 (though Lip's cameo in Captain Rainbow counts but I dunno if it's significant compared to Mac and Takamaru).

I bet if Tetris Attack would have been released in it's original form featuring Lip, she might have been much more likely to be playable (or even been playable this point). Who knows.
I personally still wouldn't classify Lip and anything more than a dark horse candidate. Her series, while not as obscure as others, isn't too predominant in this day and age, especially outside Japan, and her popularity has never been too noteworthy either. Plus, Nintendo really has been hesitant to use Lip, and she hasn't appeared outside re-releases for a long time (excluding Captain Rainbow - which I personally don't think affects the chance of any character who had a cameo in it). It's true that it would still come down to Sakurai, and it seems that he has an affinity for her or at least her series, but I don't think his possible bias will outweigh all the points she has against her. Sakurai also doesn't like using too many Japanese-only characters, and frankly she is quite outclassed by ones such as Takamaru.

I'd say she's unlikely at best. All that being said, I wouldn't mind her inclusion and playing as her in Smash.

And it's probable that if Tetris Attack was released as PdP outside Japan she probably would've been seen in the follow-up games as well (unless PdP bombed horribly), which would result in better chances, though honestly I still don't think she would be at the same level as some of the other potential candidates. It's not like she would cause the series to become much more successful with her inclusion though, including Yoshi and Pokemon instead was probably the smartest thing to do to ensure sales, though personally I prefer the original game as well.

Here is how Golden Sun: Dark Dawn sold in Japan:
152. [NDS] Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (Nintendo) {2010.10.28} - 74.657 / 74.657

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428423

The previous two games easily sold well over 300K in Japan alone. This was a flop.
Yup. :(
I guess I can take comfort in knowing that at least it wasn't the only C-list series to have their latest game flop. Out of sheer stubbornness and bias, I'm going to carry on believing it sold 80k, like Media Create says. ;):laugh::awesome:

Thanks for finding the sales though, even if they are disappointing (though not particularly surprising).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yup. :(
I guess I can take comfort in knowing that at least it wasn't the only C-list series to have their latest game flop. Out of sheer stubbornness and bias, I'm going to carry on believing it sold 80k, like Media Create says. ;):laugh::awesome:

Thanks for finding the sales though, even if they are disappointing (though not particularly surprising).
Yeah, most of Nintendo's long-time C-list series are very much in danger of dying.

The latest installments for Panel de Pon, Starfy, and Custom Robo all sold better than Dark Dawn did in Japan, and have been on hiatus for far longer (six years for Custom Robo, 5.5 years for Panel de Pon, 4.5 years for Starfy).

The last two GBA F-Zero games (GP Legend and Climax) sold dismally in Japan (below 40K). The Advance Wars games also sold very horribly (again below 40K), so poorly that Days of Ruin ended up never being released in Japan, despite being developed by Intelligent Systems.

This generation was basically a graveyard for a lot of Nintendo's smaller series.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
High. They are popular, they bring in the moneys, and Sakurai enjoyed their inclusion.
Ah I see. I could definitely see Sonic making a return for SSB4 and maybe we could also expect to see Snake in there. Does anyone think that there will be or expect anymore 3rd party characters?

I'm also predicting the roster number for SSB4 to be within/around 45-50 characters. What are your final roster number predictions?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Gosh. I bet this would just mean Nintendo might go somewhere as to reboot their company and maybe kill off IPs because they don't sell anymore compared to the ones they use now? Though I'm afraid.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
True, but we did at least see several series return: Kid Icarus, Sin & Punishment, Punch Out, Excitebike, Game & Watch. There was also some new IPs thanks to the eShop, though the only one worth mentioning right now is Pushmo/Crashmo. And off the top of my head there was also Fossil Fighters.

Either way I doubt any of those series are truly dead, KI came back after a 20 year halt didn't it? Murasame Castle is nearing a reboot as well.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well the fact is that they're first party (KI and Mysterious Murasame Castle).

Most C-list games aside from PdP second party.So if they're dead, the 2nd parties can either try to profit from doing spinoff games for more selling franchises or I guess, wait for some kind of a doom awaiting them (IOr they can move away from Nintendo or some other company buys them.)

EDIT: Posting my response for Yuui but I'll stop speaking about Pac-Man because even if I admitted I must have provoked the fanbase, it's not enough: now you end it as saying I was being angry for people on supporting Pac-Man over Lloyd. Sheesh.

[COLLAPSE="Pac-Man"]
In all honesty, no. You should not have tried to claim that Pac-Man support isn't real. It was an unwarranted attack on the fanbase that happens to be more vocal now that their character actually has a decent chance now.

And I didn't say you can't say "I find Pac-Man boring". I said you couldn't say something on the order of "Every other Namco character is better than Pac-Man because he's generic just because I don't care for his abilities in games where he did them." Which essentially is what you just recently said.

As for the "others" in which you're trying to justify your actions, there is no justification.
People are allowed to believe whatever the Hell they want about a character. But when they use it in a deragatory manner against the fanbase, like you did, that's not good. And if for example, the Pac-Man fans did the same thing you did but against Lloyd instead, then yeah, that's not acceptable either.
But that's not what's going on, now is it? It's just people saying that they don't want Lloyd because he's not Pac-Man. So all it is right now is a conflict of interest. You want Lloyd, you don't want Pac-Man, and it makes you angry that people don't want Lloyd because they want Pac-Man.

To tell ya something, it's not that I wish for people to support Lloyd instead. It's just that Pac-Man's support irks me a lot since him being popular and a videogaming icon seems to merit only on his as while he should be included. Moveset potential seems to come always later after that (and mostly it's looking to World-games). And lastly, the fact that people now bash characters like Lloyd.

At the end, I just said that he's popular and an icon, but otherwise, he's bland and generic. What made me angry is that people seem to label Lloyd in the same vein (He's debatable on this aspect), and call him nobody and all that stuff compared to Pac-Man.
And you then said it's all justified because I had provoked the people in GameFAQs.
Considering that they'd actually bash Lloyd despite me even not posting out long time ago that Pac-Man's support is a bandwagon, it's wierd that you side with them. I admitted what I had done, but then you say I'm angry that people don't support Lloyd over Pac-Man. GameFAQs to me is a site where one can't really deserve respect from the other and it means even that I'd be all lost if I had to think always about others if they don't do the same. (Hence why I think it doesn't matter if I had said Pac-Man's fanbase is a bandwagon: they would have done the bashing anyway. None says that Lloyd's generic and is from a "terrible Tales Of"-series because I had said Pac-Man's support is a bandwagon.)

Sonic being "cool" is irrelevant and subjective, as it implies that Pac-Man isn't "cool" to people and again, implying once again that Pac-Man support isn't real.
You just labeled Sonic's most defining trait as irrelevant and subjective. How can I take you seriously with this? Sonic wasn't made to be like Mario in mind, he was made to be a mascot with an attitude. This has defined him for years to come, and has made him the challenge for Mario to overcome in his career. Needless to say Mario succeeded, but Sonic actually got up and now strives on. If you seriously think his coolness is actually irrelevant and subjective, then explain why Sonic's in Brawl. I bet it's not only because he was just wished to be able on beating Mario's ***.

As for all his techniques, plenty of characters in existance "borrow" similar abilities, though bear in mind, they are only similar.
You compare the Butt Bounce to Ground Pound, however, outside of the moves both involving butt stomping, there's a reason why it's called the Butt Bounce. He bounces into the air after doing so, making him able to do it again. This makes it more comparable to Sonic's Bounce Bracelet from SA2, which debuted AFTER the Butt Bounce.
It's also possible to power up the move and cause shockwaves, something Ground Pound has never done.
Rev Roll, while similar to the Spin Dash, is much faster, and can be stopped on a dime.
Pac-Dot Shoot, I have yet to see other notable money throwing techniques (Pac-Dots are currency in Pac-Man World). (Goemon from Mystical Ninja-series)
Flip Kick, a rather generic move, is still from what I see a Pac-Man exclusive in platformers.
Steel Body, yes is like Metal Mario, but it is used more by Pac-Man than Mario. (Unnecessary due to Metal Box)
In platformers, Tiny Pac is arguably the first where the user has to temporarily shrink themselves in order to continue through the level. (Unnecessary due to Poison Mushroom)
Fly Dots, while similar to Sonic's Light Speed Dash, is more similar to Sonic Adventure 2's version, which debuted after Pac-Man World.
Electro Shock from Pac-Man World 3, is not similar to any other VG electric user I know of.
Red Ribbon Power from the same game also seems to be a Pac-Man exclusive.
He has plenty of moves. But gosh, the fact that he's inter-changeable character is what makes me lose interest on him quick. He has no defined style to me. Yes, he bites. But aside from that people have to actually look at his World-games for moveset potential. And even then it seems like they don't know how he'd play like.

Many characters in Smash Bros (and in fighting games) are crafted with some kind of a playstyle or "feel" to them.. Mario's Jack-Of-All-Stats character. DK is a burly powerhouse. Link's all-arounded in close combat and long-range combat. Captain Falcon is Kamen Rider-styled and is speedy character with powerful moves. Kirby's a small but versatile character with many options to choose from. Wario's a trickster in his movement and attacks unpredictably.

For Pac-Man, I can't think any way of him having some kind of a style. He has to be given some extra merit as a character so he wouldn't feel like a bland character with moves cluttered here and there from World. (if Sakurai even goes so far as to even look at those games for putting his moveset...)

Really, so far I see Pac-Man as rather bland because he has no defining style. World seems to give lots of moves (but can I say they are rather random at times? Shooting lightning, really?)
But they don't seem to compliment to form some kind of a feel or playstyle to Pac-Man. I guess you could start from his shape and his biting traits and what he feels like being a retro character, but I can't see Sakurai trying to go this way unless he really wishes to give some kind of a playstyle for Pac-Man.

And I can easily say Mega Man is boring, given that he is "Jump and Shoot Man" and he rips off Samus with the whole arm cannon shtick.
Even if he's able to shoot different things from his cannon, so is Samus.
Them having different repitoires of weapons doesn't make a difference.

It does. Not every of the weapons he has received in his games are projectile weapons (Top Man, Charge Man, and could be even molded to different attacks that would work on close combat. This moveset would give an idea (though it's for Marvel VS Capcom-series).

But anyway, I rather stop here. Dunno how long this should go on, but I have said my point.[/COLLAPSE]

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
True, but we did at least see several series return: Kid Icarus, Sin & Punishment, Punch Out, Excitebike, Game & Watch. There was also some new IPs thanks to the eShop, though the only one worth mentioning right now is Pushmo/Crashmo. And off the top of my head there was also Fossil Fighters.

Either way I doubt any of those series are truly dead, KI came back after a 20 year halt didn't it? Murasame Castle is nearing a reboot as well.
Game & Watch did not get any new installments this generation, unless you are counting that limited release Game & Watch Collection from Club Nintendo (which was a collection of straight ports of three Game & Watch games as opposed to the port & remake concept of the Game & Watch Gallery series). As far as I am concerned, Game & Watch has been on hiatus since 2002 (which was when Game & Watch Gallery 4 was released).

D

Deleted member

The only franchise we can say for sure is dead (if counting new games and not just remakes) is Earthbound since Itoi said there isn't going to be a Mother 4. Anyone else could be revived if there is interest.

In regards to C franchises, I'd say that Punch-Out!!, Xenoblade, Starfy, and Custom Robo all have a good chance of receiving a sequel. Sin & Punishment probably won't ever get another game even if Saki gets in Smash and Golden Sun & Advance Wars could go either way.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, most of Nintendo's long-time C-list series are very much in danger of dying.

The latest installments for Panel de Pon, Starfy, and Custom Robo all sold better than Dark Dawn did in Japan, and have been on hiatus for far longer (six years for Custom Robo, 5.5 years for Panel de Pon, 4.5 years for Starfy).

The last two GBA F-Zero games (GP Legend and Climax) sold dismally in Japan (below 40K). The Advance Wars games also sold very horribly (again below 40K), so poorly that Days of Ruin ended up never being released in Japan, despite being developed by Intelligent Systems.

This generation was basically a graveyard for a lot of Nintendo's smaller series.
Yeah, having actually played all these series makes it especially sad to see them falter and decline, IMO while not every installment has done great, overall they all deserve a much larger audience than they are getting nowadays. In general it's very disheartening to see the current state of IPs in gaming. Many of the larger companies are focusing primarily or solely on one or two single IPs that prove the most profitable and are having minor less-profitable ones constantly fall by the wayside. Many smaller companies or development teams are being absorbed or disbanded because their content didn't manage to be fiscally successful enough, even if it was a legitimately decent game. New IPs have to fight and struggle to become profitable enough to even be considered for a follow up, and even then after a few sequels the series often starts to decline commercially anyway.

As someone who, for the most part, enjoys the smaller series more often than the larger ones, I'm fearful for the fate of a lot of series I'm fond of. :(

I'm definitely not going to take any sequels we might get in the future from C-list Nintendo series for granted.

Ah I see. I could definitely see Sonic making a return for SSB4 and maybe we could also expect to see Snake in there. Does anyone think that there will be or expect anymore 3rd party characters?

I'm also predicting the roster number for SSB4 to be within/around 45-50 characters. What are your final roster number predictions?
Chances of a new third party character or two are also pretty good. Sakurai still seems to be interested in including them, even speaking specifically about the possibility of a Capcom character, and as they would still generate hype and revenue, it's pretty much the general thought (though not the unanimous thought) that we will continue to get at least one new third party character. Most likely Mega Man.

Personally I'm predicting the roster will be between 46-50 characters (excluding transformations), on my roster I currently have 48 characters.

Gosh. I bet this would just mean Nintendo might go somewhere as to reboot their company and maybe kill off IPs because they don't sell anymore compared to the ones they use now? Though I'm afraid.
I doubt a full on reboot, especially now that the Wii U and 3DS are just starting, but a shift away from all C-List series to focus mostly on the A-List with occasional B-List games seems pretty probable. Like I said above, that's the way gaming in general seems to be headed (at least with major companies), and as Nintendo is still in it mostly for the profit, I expect they won't be any different, which is a shame, but makes sense.

Most of the series will probably end with a whimper rather than a bang as well, I very much doubt most of the C-List series that received a game this gen will get a follow up, and the last game will forever be comparatively inferior in some regard.

Well the fact is that they're first party (KI and Mysterious Murasame Castle).

Most C-list games aside from PdP second party.So if they're dead, the 2nd parties can either try to profit from doing spinoff games for more selling franchises or I guess, wait for some kind of a doom awaiting them (IOr they can move away from Nintendo or some other company buys them.)
I'm not particularly worried about TOSE or Treasure, as they're third parties that can rely on other IPs and companies for a profit, and Camelot because they have Mario sports games to rely on that always do at least decently commercially. NOISE I could see eventually being in trouble, as they really don't have much other than Custom Robo, and certainly haven't had any wildly successful games in a while.

Most of Nintendo's other 2nd parties primarily work on established first-party IPs (or Pokemon games), so for the most part they're probably safe as well.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Nintendo could just try to find big budget projects to kinda like "revive" these series or give them a new oomph on their life. But nah. Profit's the thing they're now wanting.

All I can wish is to see people taking stance themselves and maybe do fan movements in order to revive some series (There's Operation Sunrise for Golden Sun at the moment)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Chrono: There hasn't been a new Game & Watch game since the 80s, so whether or not the Gallaries/Collections/re-releases matter is open to opinion. I'd also add Mr. Game & Watch somewhere in there.

Either way with all the doom and gloom you guys are giving off my only point is never say never.

Custom Robo is a decent series, I can see Nintendo pulling for another game after a couple years, it's one of the few series that's a nature fit for the Wii U or the eShop. Golden Sun will definitely go on hiatus, but one day fans will more than likely rally for another game, only one game in the series did bad anyway. It's only a matter of time before Starfy gets a new game.

Honestly the only series that is looking bleak is Sin & Punishment, to which I can't remember, is it 1st or 2nd party. Nintendo owns the rights but Treasure develops it?

@SSBF: Yeah agree. I also forgot about Advance Wars and Xenoblade, and the Mother series is dead, though I am very much interested in the re-releases. I think the Art Style series can also be counted as another IP. I also just remembered that Pilotwings also got some new games.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Which is going to be a kick in the teeth once Nintendo realizes that relying on only the big names all the time will lead to their downfall.

There is only so much Mario we can tolerate, you know what I mean?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Honestly the only series that is looking bleak is Sin & Punishment, to which I can't remember, is it 1st or 2nd party. Nintendo owns the rights but Treasure develops it?
S&P is developed by Treasure, who isn't really into making franchises, so we wouldn't likely see a sequel even if sales had been good.

I'm not sure who owns the S&P IP.

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom