• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
But I think it's fun. Also, didn't he indicate it was Sm4sh related? 'Course, I don't understand Japanese, so I could be wrong.
It's well known everywhere that Sakurai uses Micromen for creating new frames/poses for potential characters. In the tweets, he's flat out said he's using it for the new Smash bros. That said, the focus on his tweets wasn't that; but how delicate his figures (especially the one on the right) are.

@SSBF: What he told people not to speculate on was any speculation brought up with other individuals. Those being, if you snoop in his twitter followers/following lists; you see individuals linked to big name companies (Platinum, Capcom, Square, etc). People are thinking just cause he talks/tweets to a former MOTHER employee; that there's a new MOTHER character. Or if he's talking to a singer/VA; she'll be doing the vocals for smash. If Ono comments about a Nintendo X Capcom cross over; there'd be a Capcom character in Smash. It's that kind of unnecessary BS that annoys him to no end

As said, Micromen are free game for fair speculation

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Nice find!

Right figure:
First things that come into mind are magic user or someone shooting something out of his palm, Isaac and Ganondorf come first into mind. If you switched one of the arms for a hand cannon I can definitely see Megaman haha.

Left figure:
As for the figure on the left the only two characters I can immediately think off are Chun-Li and Sheik.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So 17 hours ago, Sakurai recently made a reference of him forming specific frames for un-named characters for the new Smash bros; however he was really vague about it. He lightly touched upon it, then started talking about how rare the figures are considering they're officially out of print (and how delicate he had to take the picture)

Any idea who these would be?
Don't you dare say a Smash bros veteran, try to think of a newcomer

I don't know who that stylish girl would be on the right, neither the classy guy on the left

Any ideas :awesome:

Micromen are free game for speculation; so don't throw the whole red card on the recent article :smirk:
Sakurai said the word "rare". The figures appear to be female. OMG! Dixie Kong and/or Krystal confirmed! :troll:

:phone:

D

Deleted member

@MasterMushroom: Makes sense. Could someone post all the Micromen figures? Not that I think it'll mean anything, but it'd be interesting to look at them.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Says we shouldn't look into his twitter posts. Wants to keep a low profile. Makes twitter posts that refer directly to Smash and frames. :troll:

Either way it's some interesting stuff. The left looks like Megaman to me, outside of it most likely being female (he used a female one for ZSS in the NP article) I'm stumped on the right. Probably best not to look too far into this though.

D

Deleted member

The left one has too much of a broad chest to be female.
If it is meant to be female, I can see it being Palutena in a way, shooting possibly a ball or beam of light with one hand, while the the other is holding her staff.

D

Deleted member

Says we shouldn't look into his twitter posts. Wants to keep a low profile. Makes twitter posts that refer directly to Smash and frames. :troll:

Either way it's some interesting stuff. The left looks like Megaman to me, outside of it most likely being female (he used a female one for ZSS in the NP article) I'm stumped on the right. Probably best not to look too far into this though.
I think the one on the left is a male if you look at how the body structure differ from the one on the right. And I was trying to figure out who the left would be, but looking at the structure, Mega Man makes a lot of sense. It could be a jumping 'n' gunning stance that Mega Man is doing (assuming that is Mega Man). The right seems a lot like Sheik.

I'll say this again, has Sakurai posted other Micro Men? Not that I think they mean anything, but still would be nice to see them.

D

Deleted member

On Twitter? There was one shown in a crouching position and one in a running position a few months ago, though I'm not sure if those were intended to be for Smash as nothing has been said about them.

http://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/209663391772577792/photo/1
http://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/status/209679521719402497/photo/1

Other than that, there was an example picture he gave on his usage of Micro Men years back with a frame for Diddy Kong's jump and the first hit of ZSS' combo. Though this was outside Twitter.

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
I am going to add my two cents.

Left one could be Takamaru. he would held great katana up in the air and shoot fireball. I recalled that he had fireball in the game.

Right one might be Shiek, Zelda or Palutena. I really hope it's Palutena. lol

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The left one has his palm out (as if casting something) and could very well be holding something with his other hand. Isaac confirmed! :awesome:

Seriously though, Sakurai uses these figures for pretty much every character with a humanoid shape, even if not of regular proportions, so it could be almost anybody. No idea about the right either. Definitely an interesting post though.

Also, great job on complaining about Smash speculation through Twitter then directly tweeting something to do with SSB4 characters Sakurai. :rolleyes::laugh:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
What, Sakurai actually puts out tweets related to Smash Bros 4? :troll:

(Now where's Oasis when you need him)

Anyway, checking the left one gives me makes me think of Matthew or even Isaac (like N3ON) said. Him casting magic while holding a sword seems somewhat what the figure shows to do.

[collapse= the pose matches]

[/collapse]

[collapse= inverted hand positions?]
[/collapse]

While it doesn't count, someone once sprited Isaac in similar pose as well:

The right one is more hard bite. I can at least say it's a female. (Maybe Sheik or... Impa?)

But of course, it could be just anyone and it could for anything. New Adventure Mode enemy confirmed, hahyuck. :awesome:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I find the statement of Pac-man being generic kinda odd considering the character is pretty diverse in a vein to Mario. He has appeared in platform, racing, puzzle, party, and fighting games over the past 30 years or so and has done just about everything from riding giant mechs to shooting out lightening out of his hands.
While this is true, he's really only identifiable because of his original game. Mario is known for several different platformers, RPGs, etc. Basically, while Pacman may be in vein of Mario, he was never as successful as Mario (though who could be?).

And we know that from the beginning that Mario was deliberately designed as a flexible character. I can't say for certain the same applies to Pacman.
Which is going to be a kick in the teeth once Nintendo realizes that relying on only the big names all the time will lead to their downfall.

There is only so much Mario we can tolerate, you know what I mean?
I think Nintendo pushing digital releases for disc-sized games could change this greatly. This would allow smaller franchises like Sin and Punishment to thrive better since you toss out all the physical manufacturing costs unless they do like Elektroplankton (sp?) where it's also available on certain websites.

So 17 hours ago, Sakurai recently made a reference of him forming specific frames for un-named characters for the new Smash bros; however he was really vague about it. He lightly touched upon it, then started talking about how rare the figures are considering they're officially out of print (and how delicate he had to take the picture)

The guy's hand is too downward to be Isaac or Matthew's pose. The poses appear very martial arts esque. The guy is very tough to tell who it could be other than possiblly Lucario. The girl's pose appears defensive, but I think it might be Krystal depending on how thick the staff is for her hands. It appears to be a crouch block though.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If either Isaac or Matthew, I don't care which, gets in... I will be very happy. But at the same time, I'm not holding my breath for a Golden Sun character. Objectively, I think that if a Golden Sun character gets in, I think it is going to be Matthew because I can see Camelot suggesting Sakurai to put Matthew in just like how I suspect Intelligent Systems and Pokemon Company might have suggested Sakurai to add Ike and Lucario in Brawl.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No but seriously, if this is Impa... I'm gonna **** myself.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know what? I think I would rather see Matthew get a palette swap based on Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia. Black coat, red shirt, black pants, white scarf, red boots, red gloves, brown hair. :awesome:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You know what? I think I would rather see Matthew get a palette swap based on Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia. Black coat, red shirt, black pants, white scarf, red boots, red gloves, brown hair. :awesome:
I dunno if I'd like that... would feel more than out of character than Daisy already is when being Peach's palette swap.

Also Lloyd suddenly can use earthly powers and summon huge knights of doom. (-=<>=-);

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I dunno if I'd like that... would feel more than out of character than Daisy already is when being Peach's palette swap.

Also Lloyd suddenly can use earthly powers and summon huge knights of doom. (-=<>=-);
And Fuel suddenly can use PSI and PK powers like Ness. :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Anyways, about that model, has Sakurai said anything specific about it? Is he just messing around with those figure poses or what? Cause seriously, if this does not hint at a character, what else would be? It has been said figures (wooden ones iirc) where used for the characters in Brawl. Even saw an article about them, showing it for newcomers as ZSS and Diddy. Especially considering the 'vagueness' of the text as someone else said earlier, and him not wanting people to speculate (which hasn't stopped at all) I don't see it's unlikely that this hints on a new playable character. As this pose resembles nothing like any current character in Smash.

But SERIOUSLY, this might be Impa. Why? Cause Sakurai likes to include surpising characters, especially female ones. Like Sheik in Melee, and Zero Suit Samus in Brawl. And honestly, outside of a revamped Ganondorf, what else is to be expected from the Zelda franchise regarding new characters? Out of all, Impa could be revealed as 'that character the figurine was supposed to be' in a new trailer of sorts, amongst other, more popular newcomers.

D

Deleted member

[COLLAPSE=image"]
[/COLLAPSE]

I don't know who that stylish girl would be on the right, neither the classy guy on the left

Any ideas :awesome:

Micromen are free game for speculation; so don't throw the whole red card on the recent article :smirk:
Isaac comes to mind, as does Akuma, but I doubt it's him. Akuma without Ryu is like Bowser without Mario. If you look at his feet, he COULD be levitating, so if we really stretch it, it could even be Mewtwo. His pose does seem to hint psyonich powers. So it could be him, or Isaac, or the Earthbounders.

As for the girl on the right, She's too crouched to be Palutena in my opinion. I get a strong Sheik/ZSSamus vibe from it. If we think newcomers...
Lyndis?

Ho, he always fires his Hadoukens straight forward, even in the air. The only Shoto who angles their fireballs down is Gouki/Akuma. Ryu also doesn't whoot his one handed, either.

Actually, you know who fires their fireballs one-handed and fires them downward in midair? Ryo Sakazaki, the main character of the Art of Fighting series. Though I doubt it's him.
I know he said no vets but... It could be Mario's new pose for aerial fireballs.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I know he said no vets but... It could be Mario's new pose for aerial fireballs.
Yeah, actually, it does look a bit like Mario. But I think, as far as newcomers go, it's likely Issac or Matthew.

Actually, I wanted to say Lyn for the one on the rigth as well, but I just wasn't sure.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Haha, I wish.

@Diddy

What makes you so sure it's Impa and not Sheik?
The pose looks extremely similar to fighting styles used the way Impa casted that barrier against Ghirahim in that one cutscene. It's also much likelier that this figurine is used for a newcomer, than a veteran. Impa's style seems to me as a more 'defensive' style of fighting, as she is the protector of Zelda after all. And especially that left figurine looks like a more defensive stance.

Besides, I don't think Sheik's moveset would change even the slightest if she was to return. Same with Zero Suit Samus. Also, Sakurai seems to love adding in female unexpected characters as... Sheik and Zero Suit Samus. Impa seems to fit this category as well.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
How do you guys know it is even a human character? It could even be Duck Hunt Dog after he throws a duck in mid-air for all we know. :troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't think would use figurines for characters as the Duck Hunt Dog, much like they wouldn't use it for say, Meta Knight or Jigglypuff.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I was gonna say that the figurines were used for Diddy but he's humanoid in the first place.

Nonhumanoid characters probably use them as well for reference.

D

Deleted member

I don't think would use figurines for characters as the Duck Hunt Dog, much like they wouldn't use it for say, Meta Knight or Jigglypuff.
He uses the figures for EVERYONE.
He said as much during presentation when he revealed he uses the figures.
I especially remember an image where one was in Diddy's jump pose.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Non-Specific Action Figure confirmed? :troll:

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
I think it's still Takamaru. I really sincerely wish that it's Isaac.

Edited: I don't see anythinga about SSB4 in twitters. Are you sure that those poses are from SSB4? I meant they were talking about how valuable micromans were because it were out of prints.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The left model is not Issac.

Just warning all of you before you get disappointed over false hope.
Prove it. :troll:

I never seriously thought it absolutely had to be Isaac, like I said it really could be almost anybody, but that also includes Isaac. Even if you don't think his chances are great, he still has a chance, so it could be him just as much as it could be any other humanoid at this point.

I think it's still Takamaru. I really sincerely wish that it's Isaac.

Edited: I don't see anythinga about SSB4 in twitters. Are you sure that those poses are from SSB4? I meant they were talking about how valuable micromans were because it were out of prints.
In the second tweet (the one without the pictures) Sakurai mentions how these figures are used to come up with frames for Smash Bros games, but since after Brawl the figures have been out of production, so now he has to be very careful with the figures when creating frames, which sort of subtly (but not too subtly :awesome:) hints that he is creating new frames for the new Smash. He didn't say the characters in the picture were newcomers though, we're just over-analyzing his twitter like he hates. ;)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't think Issac is not likely, I know Issac is not likely. Golden Sun was not one of the franchises worth a character inclusion on the roster back in the days of Brawl, and judging by the mediocre reception of Golden Sun: Dark Dawn and how the series fell off the map, it doesn't seem to have changed much in that regard.

D

Deleted member

I don't see why Sakurai didn't just keep the ones he used for Brawl's characters.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here is a new poll I did with just the big four (Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, and Waluigi) in regards to a Mario newcomer:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/65021647

As was the case before, it was still very close. There is no favorite in regards to a Mario newcomer, which means that there a Mario newcomer will get in on merits aside from fan-favoritism.

On a side note, I think Waluigi has the loudest fanbase of all the Mario newcomers this time. There are some people that think he is the most wanted Mario newcomer, when in actuality he is pretty much on par with other characters. Its amazing how making a lot of noise can make your character's popularity seem a lot bigger than it actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom