• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Is anyone else looking forward Smash 4 3DS more than Smash 4 Wii U?

Assuming both games have the same roster, I think Smash 4 3DS would be a more refreshing experience due to a full-blown empahsis on single-player, than Smash 4 Wii U which may be just more of the same of Melee and Brawl.

For someone who only really wants four characters that were not in Brawl, there has to be something else to look forward to in regards to Smash 4 besides characters, and a fresh new Smash Bros. experience on a handheld is something that excites me.

However, I do hope Smash 4 3DS does have some multiplayer features (even if it is not on the same level as Smash Bros. Wii U), because Smash 4 3DS would probably be the version I would play more of. Heck, if Smash 4 3DS ends up having its multiplayer features be as robust as Melee and Brawl's were, then I might even skip out on Smash 4 Wii U.

I wrote really detailed plans for a Smash Bros. DS back in 2004. I might share what I wrote some time if there is enough interest in it.
I'm excited for both. I'd be nice to play the 3DS one by my self and the Wii U one with friends.

I figure multiplayer will be co-op mostly.

yani

Smash Lord
I'm definitely more excited for the Wii-U one. I don't think the 3DS will have all of the characters the Wii-U will have (assuming no cuts and a 50+ roster) but I most definitely am looking forward to Smash on the go.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Is anyone else looking forward Smash 4 3DS more than Smash 4 Wii U?

Assuming both games have the same roster, I think Smash 4 3DS would be a more refreshing experience due to a full-blown empahsis on single-player, than Smash 4 Wii U which may be just more of the same of Melee and Brawl.

For someone who only really wants four characters that were not in Brawl, there has to be something else to look forward to in regards to Smash 4 besides characters, and a fresh new Smash Bros. experience on a handheld is something that excites me.

However, I do hope Smash 4 3DS does have some multiplayer features (even if it is not on the same level as Smash Bros. Wii U), because Smash 4 3DS would probably be the version I would play more of. Heck, if Smash 4 3DS ends up having its multiplayer features be as robust as Melee and Brawl's were, then I might even skip out on Smash 4 Wii U.

I wrote really detailed plans for a Smash Bros. DS back in 2004. I might share what I wrote some time if there is enough interest in it.
I don't(and won't for a long time) have a Wii U, so I'm hopeful the 3DS version won't be super different be super different from the Wii U version.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I feel extremely unenthusiastic about the 3DS game. If it's really going to focus on a single player experience and dumb down the multiplayer, it's not going to be worth the $40. Super Smash Bros. is a series far more praised for the multiplayer experience then the single player, so embracing the weaker side of things is not going to be exactly a good thing. Seriously if they couldn't get it right the three times previously, why would it be different this time?

But who knows, maybe I'll be surprised.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
does anyone think the 3ds game might have exclusive characters that can be uploaded to the wii u, basically forcing you to buy it? (similar to how mario golf had exclusive characters from the gba version).

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
does anyone think the 3ds game might have exclusive characters that can be uploaded to the wii u, basically forcing you to buy it? (similar to how mario golf had exclusive characters from the gba version).
Oh god, I hope not.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i wouldn't mind if it was like one or two differences like let's say Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western was a 3DS exclusive while Shulk from Xenoblade was on the Wii U. but if there is a huge difference between the 2 rosters i would be a little peeved.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
i wouldn't mind if it was like one or two differences like let's say Dillon from Dillon's Rolling Western was a 3DS exclusive while Shulk from Xenoblade was on the Wii U. but if there is a huge difference between the 2 rosters i would be a little peeved.
I would mind, since i won't likely be able to get the Wii U version and I prefer Shulk to Dillon. The roster should be the same for both versions.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
There shouldn't be any differences from the roster. They are the same game, just split up (least, that's what i think it is).

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i just used that as an example. honestly there are gonna be differences between the 2 and if the roster is one, oh well it happens.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
i just used that as an example. honestly there are gonna be differences between the 2 and if the roster is one, oh well it happens.
Again, I disagree. Unless these were two games with different purposes, then they'd have the same roster. I think a lot of us think that these are two sides of the same coin. The games are meant as one. So, the modes are what separates it. Although, it all remains to be seen.

D

Deleted member

One difference in a character I'm willing to bet is that the 3DS version has customizable characters you can make, while the Wii U version does not, but you can send the character over by connecting them.
Sakurai said something on the order of that, didn't he?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
One difference in a character I'm willing to bet is that the 3DS version has customizable characters you can make, while the Wii U version does not, but you can send the character over by connecting them.
That would be acceptable to me. I also wouldn't mind if there was some aesthetic content(like costumes, or even music) that differed depending on the version. I would even be okay if certain game modes were version exclusives.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Red will be replaced by either N or Hilbert/Hilda
Problem is either all three of PT Pokemon will get cut (which charizard alone will cause so much backlash), or we get six slots and we either get two of lucario or a 5th gen or charizard, or we get 5 and just get one, so cutting red makes every thing worse IMO

and this is assuming mewtwo is a lock

:phone:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i still find it very likely that there will be system exclusives. otherwise theres little reason to create it on both platforms. think of Pokemon for example, theres 2 versions released with each gen. each version is pretty much the same game but certain different Pokemon. the point of this was to get you to buy both versions (or force you to get friends lol). using that frame of mind, it makes sense to have a few differences between the 2 games whether it be the story, gameplay or more importantly the roster. so they can make more money off of us

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
i still find it very likely that there will be system exclusives. otherwise theres little reason to create it on both platforms. think of Pokemon for example, theres 2 versions released with each gen. each version is pretty much the same game but certain different Pokemon. the point of this was to get you to buy both versions (or force you to get friends lol). using that frame of mind, it makes sense to have a few differences between the 2 games whether it be the story or more importantly the roster.
The reason to release it on both platforms is because not everyone owns both a 3DS and a Wii U. And this isn't Pokemon, I don't see any reason why they would try and force you to buy both versions.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
money. short and sweet. Nintendo is still a business. Realistically they could just sell it for the Wii U. it would instantly be one the systems highest selling games and make people want to buy the system much like what Melee did for the Gamecube. releasing it on both a handheld and a home system effectively eliminates any reason for a person to own both systems or at least own both versions of the game. more likely people would buy the cheaper system being the 3DS. however, that problem is solved by there being distinct differences between both games. since the roster is the part most people notice about Smash it makes sense that that is what is one of the distinct differences.

D

Deleted member

Problem is either all three of PT Pokemon will get cut (which charizard alone will cause so much backlash), or we get six slots and we either get two of lucario or a 5th gen or charizard, or we get 5 and just get one, so cutting red makes every thing worse IMO

and this is assuming mewtwo is a lock

Well, we're getting a backlash somehow. Either the Lucario fans, or the Charizard fans, etc are gonna get pissed. Either way, we're getting a cut there somehow. I can't picture Pokemon getting more than 5 slots in any way, and like I've said, Red could also be featured as a powerful in-game boss. Personally, I'd much rather fight Red's team in Smash a la Pokemon 2nd Gen, than get to play as him again, but that's just me.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pikachu the mascot of the franchise
Jigglypuff as a last minute addition (again)
Mewtwo due to fan demand
Pokemon Trainer Gold from HesrtGold/SoulSilver (was considered for Melee)
Zoroark from Black/White

I guess I could live with that. Just wish that Meowth or Team Rocket with Meowth/Arbok/Weezing would be on the roster.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I don't understand why people think Red is going to be cut when he was in black and white 2.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
on the subject of 3DS version vs. Wii U version, I think it's possible that both versions have the same roster. don't underestimate the 3DS.

I was thinking that they might pull something like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (in that game, you can transfer your save data to one version to another).

besides, a 3DS card can handle a lot of memory (around 8GB, if I am not mistaken), and a reason that the Wii U version will need more memory is because of the HD graphics.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't understand why people think Red is going to be cut when he was in black and white 2.
Yeah but you don't play as Red in Black/White 2. Anyway, I guess I am one of the few people here who doesn't mind cutting some characters to make room for new characters. I had fun playing as Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Lucario, and Jigglypuff in Brawl but I would like to play as never-before-playable-in-Smash Pokemon characters in SSB4. If there's only five slots for Pokemon characters, I'd rather get to play as brand-new Pokemon characters instead of replaying the same ones from Brawl plus Mewtwo which I already played with in Melee.

I also like the idea of each Smash game having their own identities. Like how one game has these playable characters but the others don't and how one game has these stages but the others don't. It gives me a reason to go back and replay the older games instead of sticking to SSB4 just because it has everything from the last three games that there's no point of playing SSB64, Melee, and Brawl again. Kinda like how it is with Mario Kart games... I have certain favorite courses and characters but they aren't all in Mario Kart 7 so I replay the older games.

D

Deleted member

Because Red isn't the Main Character in B2/W2 and you don't play as him. He only makes a cameo as a boss character in the World Tournament. If anything, his cameo as a boss makes him more suitable as a boss for Smash as well.

I was thinking that they might pull something like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (in that game, you can transfer your save data to one version to another).
I was thinking the same thing. I recall reading something about Smash 4 having a sort of connectivity between both versions. I'm interested in seeing how it'll play out.

Yeah but you don't play as Red in Black/White 2. Anyway, I guess I am one of the few people here who doesn't mind cutting some characters to make room for new characters. I had fun playing as Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Lucario, and Jigglypuff in Brawl but I would like to play as never-before-playable-in-Smash Pokemon characters in SSB4. If there's only five slots for Pokemon characters, I'd rather get to play as brand-new Pokemon characters instead of replaying the same ones from Brawl plus Mewtwo which I already played with in Melee.

I also like the idea of each Smash game having their own identities. Like how one game has these playable characters but the others don't and how one game has these stages but the others don't. It gives me a reason to go back and replay the older games instead of sticking to SSB4 just because it has everything from the last three games that there's no point of playing SSB64, Melee, and Brawl again. Kinda like how it is with Mario Kart games... I have certain favorite courses and characters but they aren't all in Mario Kart 7 so I replay the older games.
We're in the same boat buddy. I feel the same exact way about everything. This is also the reason why I don't see Smash 4 being the last of the Smash Bros games.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, probably this. A better upgrade system would be nice.

As for Pokemon, I think the series ca have six slots. What I'be been wondering about is Zoroark. Mewtwo and Lucario both got in for being popular Pokemon. But Zoroark hasn't caught on in the same way. I figure there will be another Pokemon character. Will it be Zoroark, or someone else?

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu the mascot of the franchise
Jigglypuff as a last minute addition (again)
Mewtwo due to fan demand
Pokemon Trainer Gold from HesrtGold/SoulSilver (was considered for Melee)
Zoroark from Black/White

I guess I could live with that. Just wish that Meowth or Team Rocket with Meowth/Arbok/Weezing would be on the roster.

I can see Lucario getting added in again as well, granted he's incredibly debatable. As for your Team Rocket suggestion, I'd love to see them make Wobbuffet work in there somehow

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I personally wish that we'd get much more new Pokemon-characters than in the last games. Mostly we've had always some 1st Gen pokemon and now some people expect to see only one new Poke-rep, while rest would be returners. I think it'd be pretty underwhelming, considering how huge of a reboot Gen 5 was.

Anyway, one question for ya guys:

From what I've noticed, Smash Bros has so far only included 1st Party characters of Nintendo (with Pokemon being an exception).

This made me think would this mean that 2nd parties can't be in Smash? Or can they be? Just curious because usually many speculate it has something to do with getting rights which is (presumably) very difficult and time-taking. Also the fact that Sakurai doesn't consider 2nd parties important to Smash?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I can see Lucario getting added in again as well, granted he's incredibly debatable. As for your Team Rocket suggestion, I'd love to see them make Wobbuffet work in there somehow
How? I mean, Wobbuffet would be awesome and he's one of my favorite Pokemon of all time because of the anime but how would he work in Smash? It literally cannot throw the first punch. It only fights by countering.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Still, the fact that Nintendo made a Charizard 3DS tells me that he is not going anywhere

@Acr I got a Wobbuffet move set on the TR thread

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Because Red isn't the Main Character in B2/W2 and you don't play as him. He only makes a cameo as a boss character in the World Tournament. If anything, his cameo as a boss makes him more suitable as a boss for Smash as well.
Sorry. By this logic, PT should be modeled after Dawn/male guy from DP. While I would like to see some new pokemon (give us Johto!), I just don't see it likely. Same reason why Link won't be seen with a slingshot or hammer, his bow, boomerang, and bombs are much more iconic. Pretty soon, the BW starters will be just another set of starters and people will ask "Why did they replace Charizard with that ugly sumo pig thingey?" The original starters have staying power by virtue of being the original. Not the third, not the fourth, not the most recent, but the original. I'm not saying we need to keep everything the same from Smash game to Smash game, but the last time we went with "Because their recent" to put a pokemon in, we got Pichu.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Sorry. By this logic, PT should be modeled after Dawn/male guy from DP. While I would like to see some new pokemon (give us Johto!), I just don't see it likely. Same reason why Link won't be seen with a slingshot or hammer, his bow, boomerang, and bombs are much more iconic. Pretty soon, the BW starters will be just another set of starters and people will ask "Why did they replace Charizard with that ugly sumo pig thingey?" The original starters have staying power by virtue of being the original. Not the third, not the fourth, not the most recent, but the original. I'm not saying we need to keep everything the same from Smash game to Smash game, but the last time we went with "Because their recent" to put a pokemon in, we got Pichu.
Pichu got in because he was a last minute clone and because he was a joke character, not because he was most recent

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Game Freak is second-party but the Pokemon franchise is a massive cash cow for Nintendo. Of course, there are going to be playable Pokemon in Smash. Are there any other second-party series that are cash cows for Nintendo? Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, Legendary Starfy, and Custom Robo come to mind but they aren't cash cows like Pokemon is.

Oh, and HAL Laboratory WAS second-party at the time Smash 64 was made. HAL Laboratory is responsible for Kirby and Mother games so of course Kirby and Ness got in Smash 64 then. Rare WAS second-party at the time Smash 64 and it was responsible for the Donkey Kong Country trilogy. But the Donkey Kong character himself is 100% owned by Nintendo so Donkey Kong got in Smash 64.

If HAL Laboratory (then a second-party) made Kirby and Mother games before they made Smash 64, then Sakurai (a then-employee of HAL Laboratory) was biased to add Kirby and Ness plus it was probably easier to get the rights to add Kirby and Ness in Smash 64 for the same reason it is easier to just add first-party characters. And now Sakurai runs his own company Project Sora and his company was responsible for Kid Icarus: Uprising, I can totally see Sakurai adding at least one (or better yet, two) new Kid Icarus character(s) in SSB4 even though the Kid Icarus IP is 100% owned by Nintendo.

Characters from first-party Nintendo games tend to have priority over characters from second-party Nintendo games. As a general rule of thumb, I just look at who developed the game instead of looking at who owns the IP. If I see a game that is said to be owned by Nintendo, great, but that doesn't mean the character is likely to get in Smash unless I know which development team developed the game. Grade-A choices are probably from post-Brawl games developed by Nintendo EAD, Intelligent Systems, Retro Studios, Monolith Soft, HAL Laboratory, and of course Project Sora. It also helps if Shigeru Miyamoto worked on the games regardless of being a first- or second-party.

Nintendo EAD: Toad, Bowser Jr., Mii, Zelda characters, Animal Crossing characters, Balloon Fighter and Takamaru (Nintendo Land), Pikmin characters
Intelligent Systems: Paper Mario, Mallo (Pushmo), Chrom, other Fire Emblem characters
Monolith Soft: Shulk
HAL Laboratory: Waddle Dee
Project Sora: Palutena, Medusa, Magnus, other Kid Icarus characters
Nintendo SPD: Ridley (Metroid: Other M), Little Mac (Punch-Out!! Wii)

What about retro characters? It's usually the ones from Nintendo R&D1. It was responsible for Ice Climber, Kid Icarus, R.O.B. games (Gyromite and Stack Up), and the entire Game & Watch line. It's also responsible for NES classics such as Balloon Fight, Clu Clu Land, Excitebike, Urban Champion (the same characters rejected by Sakurai before selecting Ice Climbers) and of course Duck Hunt :troll:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here is a poll I did for the most wanted female newcomer if Palutena was not in the picture:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/64975822/728386230

It was basically a four-way tie between Dixie Kong, Krystal, Lyn, and Captain Syrup.

By comparison, when I did a poll for most wanted female newcomer with Palutena, she got by far the most votes of any candidate.

Palutena was basically the perfect storm of all lot of things people wanted for a female newcomer.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Pichu got in because he was a last minute clone and because he was a joke character, not because he was most recent

Ah, but what if Melee was released a few years later? During Gen 3? Pichu would haven't even been considered as a clone. Say what you may, but none of the melee clones looked out of place in Smash. Sure, they didn't earn their spot, but none of them really looked hideously out of place at the time. But now? Pichu sticks out as that one character who shouldn't have been added. There's also Jigglypuff to think about. 64, including one of the most popular pokemon made sense. Now? The only reason it doesn't stick out is because it's been around for so long.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's sort of funny. I was just looking back at the last few pages of this forum. Naturally, most of them are age-old locked threads, locked duplicates, or joke threads that never caught on. And then I saw Little Mac back there. Just sort of funny, I guess. We seem to never talk about Little Mac anymore.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It's sort of funny. I was just looking back at the last few pages of this forum. Naturally, most of them are age-old locked threads, locked duplicates, or joke threads that never caught on. And then I saw Little Mac back there. Just sort of funny, I guess. We seem to never talk about Little Mac anymore.
Yeah, I am curious about him and Isaac. They are 5th/6th place in terms of support on this site (according to that character poll), yet both characters have very inactive support threads.

I think Little Mac is not the shoe-in we think he is, and I have already mentioned that I think Isaac missed his chance to get in with Brawl.

However, recently there has been a lot of activity for for Palutena and Takamaru threads.

I think if the Mewtwo and Roy threads were on the main forum (and not in the veterans sub-forum) those two topics would be seeing more activity than they are now (since barely anyone visits the veterans forum).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom