• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
This Smash Bros. has a sense of finality to me too. It seems as though this Smash Bros. game will be the peak for the series. After this game, I can't think of any other good well-known Nintendo newcomers they could add. Even if this game does not add any of the characters I personally want in, it will still be the last Smash Bros. game I buy and follow.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
If it makes money, it'll keep going, Chrono. That said, I would not be shocked AT ALL if this is the final one where Sakurai plays an active role.

Anyway, I had a dream last night about the first SSB4 trailer. You know how weird dreams can be and how you can't remember everything, but, hey, why not, here's what little I can remember:

• It was kind of hazy, as if I was watching a video of somebody who had taken footage of it being shown on a bigger screen.
  • It had Mario and Kirby fighting in what looked like some type of Kirby-related stage. Mario threw a bob-omb item at Kirby and sent him flying.
  • There was an image of Ness kind of standing around with his hands to his head, like he had an ice cream headache or something.
  • It had Miis in funny hats showing up at the end.

Yeah, not much help. Stupid dreams.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was thinking that in order to keep the Smash Bros. franchise alive beyond SSB4, maybe Nintendo might pull a Capcom and make games like Nintendo vs. Sega, Nintendo vs. Capcom, Nintendo vs. Konami, etc. and maybe even Smash spin-off games featuring nothing but Marioverse characters or Zeldaverse characters or Pokemon characters or Kirby characters or even Mother/EarthBound characters. :awesome:

:phone:

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I was thinking that in order to keep the Smash Bros. franchise alive beyond SSB4, maybe Nintendo might pull a Capcom and make games like Nintendo vs. Sega, Nintendo vs. Capcom, Nintendo vs. Konami, etc. and maybe even Smash spin-off games featuring nothing but Marioverse characters or Zeldaverse characters or Pokemon characters or Kirby characters.

Or Nintendo could buy Sega or something, instantly giving more characters they could have as 1st party. I mean, for all the talk of how dire straits Nintendo is in, that is FAR more a case of armchair-investor perception, not reality. Rumors still pop up now and then that Nintendo will either buy Sega or buy the rights of some of it's more notable characters.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If there is a Nintendo vs. Sega game, I would be disappointed if the only Sega characters are Sonic characters. I expect characters from Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Shining Force, Ristar, Comix Zone, Phantasy Star, Skies of Arcadia, etc.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
If there is a Nintendo vs. Sega game, I would be disappointed if the only Sega characters are Sonic characters. I expect characters from Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Shining Force, Ristar, Comix Zone, Phantasy Star, Skies of Arcadia, etc.

Well, yeah. But I'd have to think that Sonic would have the most characters, just like how Mario and his spin-offs have the most characters in SSB.

D

Deleted member

I have lost interest in Little Mac being a playable character for Smash 4. The same happened with K. Rool for me a few months ago. To explain this, its not that I don't think Little Mac or K. Rool deserve to be in (they are amongst the most deserving newcomers), but rather if they were confirmed I would not be excited about it. Little Mac and K. Rool I always wanted less than the other six characters on my wishlist though.

This basically leaves only six characters left that were not in Brawl that I would still be happy about if they were included in Smash 4.

Has this happened with anyone else (as in you used to want a character in Smash Bros., but now are just neutral about their inclusion even though you still think they deserve to be in).
This pretty much happened to me with Little Mac as well. I don't see what makes Little Mac interesting.
I feel more excited this time around because of that looming feeling of the series being finished, and as such I believe the series would try to leave with a bang.

Personally I felt more neutral during the days of Brawl speculation.
Pretty much how I feel as well. Back during Brawl, I didn't care who got in as I had just figured out about Brawl in mid-2007. I was pretty confident that there would be a Smash 4 as well, so I waited until near announcement and then jumped in into the scene.

Smash 4 will be the last game I follow and I really do feel as there's a good chance it'll be the last Smash series developed by Sakurai if not ever, so there this excitement that Smash 4 will be the best game yet.

This is it. Smash 4 will be worth the wait.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I have lost interest in Little Mac being a playable character for Smash 4. The same happened with K. Rool for me a few months ago. To explain this, its not that I don't think Little Mac or K. Rool deserve to be in (they are amongst the most deserving newcomers), but rather if they were confirmed I would not be excited about it. Little Mac and K. Rool I always wanted less than the other six characters on my wishlist though.

This basically leaves only six characters left that were not in Brawl that I would still be happy about if they were included in Smash 4.

Has this happened with anyone else (as in you used to want a character in Smash Bros., but now are just neutral about their inclusion even though you still think they deserve to be in).
The closest I can think is Pacman. Maybe because I started to find other Namco-reps like Lloyd Irving more deserving and synonymous with Nintendo's history. Pacman's just to be thrown because. And also that he feels bit impotent in means of a good moveset as I've seen nowadays.

But to sum it, I tend to still support the deserving characters, but on the other hand I'm more lamenting on how they seem much higher priority than C-list series which are.

Though to be honest, Takamaru's nearing to become something like this to me because the huge amounts of hinting on his "grand return" due increasing cameos or quest appearances (Samurai Warriors 3, NintendoLand). If he made it in, I'd be more feeling like they were just pushing for it pretty blatantly. Not a suprise at all, you know?

About SSB4, I'm kinda on the neutral side now on would I wish this series to be done for after this upcoming installment, but on the other hand I just wish it wouldn't be the factor which affects certain franchises negatively and gives priority to others because they're in the spotlight.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If it does turn out to be the last of the series, then I would see it fitting to include every character included across the series. Such as Pichu and Dr. Mario even. Keeping Snake and Sonic (which I hope happens anyway). Probably more of a DLC type thing rather than taking away from the roster if they ended up doing that.

This is merely if it is the last one. It would be a celebration of the series and a farewell at the same time. I don't even care for Pichu and i'd want him included.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think the main appeal of Little Mac is being a very potent boxer despite being very small. Seriously, the guy can beat the hell out of Mike Tyson.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think the main appeal of Little Mac is being a very potent boxer despite being very small. Seriously, the guy can beat the hell out of Mike Tyson.
Well maybe if they add Little Mac, they can add Mike Tyson too. His final smash could involve biting everyones ears :troll:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If it does turn out to be the last of the series, then I would see it fitting to include every character included across the series. Such as Pichu and Dr. Mario even. Keeping Snake and Sonic (which I hope happens anyway). Probably more of a DLC type thing rather than taking away from the roster if they ended up doing that.

This is merely if it is the last one. It would be a celebration of the series and a farewell at the same time. I don't even care for Pichu and i'd want him included.
That is how I feel too. Since this is the last Smash Bros. game for me, I want everyone to return back, or at the very least everyone from Brawl plus Mewtwo and Roy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Well as much as I know he deserves it, and would be fine with his inclusion, I've never personally cared one way or another if Little Mac makes it in, nothing about the character really interests me. (I've also never had any real interest in seeing K. Rool - or Dixie for that matter- either, though I know K. Rool is a very likely and warranted inclusion)

As for losing character interest this time around, I can't actually say I've lost interest in any of the ones I support. If somehow a 6th gen does get revealed beforehand, I probably will pack up and move on from Zoroark support, if just to not be disappointed when he's excluded. During Brawl though, I was quite a fervent Sukapon supporter (who was also unaware of Sakurai's statements about him), though over time and closer to release I did end up losing interest in him, and this time around, while he'd still be nice to hypothetically see, I haven't really gone out of my way to support him (which would be fruitless anyway).

In fact, between Brawl and now I've really only increased the number of characters I have interest in and support (Palutena, Shulk, Zoroark).

If it makes money, it'll keep going, Chrono. That said, I would not be shocked AT ALL if this is the final one where Sakurai plays an active role.
Yeah, considering it's a major cash cow, I doubt the series will end with SSB4, but I do think that there's a very good chance SSB4 will be the last Smash made in the more "standard" way (the addition of several newcomers, very few -if any- cuts, for the most part a new batch of stages, one or two new third-parties). After this one, I feel like Smash will be taken from a whole new angle, no matter if Sakurai works on it or not, whether it be a reboot, a crossover with another company (Nintendo x somebody), or a Smash for an individual Nintendo series, or maybe even something else.

I suppose maybe a SSB5 could be squeezed out in the same style the previous games have been before reaching the bottom-of-the-barrel character-wise, but eventually the series is going to need to change itself up.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Anyway, I had a dream last night about the first SSB4 trailer. You know how weird dreams can be and how you can't remember everything, but, hey, why not, here's what little I can remember:

• It was kind of hazy, as if I was watching a video of somebody who had taken footage of it being shown on a bigger screen.
  • It had Mario and Kirby fighting in what looked like some type of Kirby-related stage. Mario threw a bob-omb item at Kirby and sent him flying.
  • There was an image of Ness kind of standing around with his hands to his head, like he had an ice cream headache or something.
  • It had Miis in funny hats showing up at the end.

Yeah, not much help. Stupid dreams.
Lol, imagine if the ice cream gives you brain freeze if you eat it...Maybe your dream's foreshadowing that. O.o

It's weird because I just had a recent dream about Smash 4 too. It's nothing amazing, but, whatever:

I was on a city bus near the back when a man came on. The guy was short, had dark hair, and wore glasses but I knew that he was a newcomer for Smash 4 (I'm not sure who would fit the role). The back of the bus was on a higher level, so there were about 10 stairs to get up. The man walked up the stairs, but when he got to the top, he fell backwards and rolled down them, while everyone was gasping. I knew that the man was supposed to be a strong and mighty character (like top tier), but when he got to the bottom, he exploded. I ran out of the bus trying not to look at the mess. Yeah...all I could remember...really weird.

Anyway, I don't know if Smash 4 is going to be the last game of the series that I'll get. I have a feeling it could, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
SSB5 is going to be the point at which the series will start from scratch again. Squeezing in new content only works to an extent, so having a reboot might be the best option to make the games fresh again. People might not like it, but it will work out in the end.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Lol, imagine if the ice cream gives you brain freeze if you eat it...Maybe your dream's foreshadowing that. O.o

It's weird because I just had a recent dream about Smash 4 too. It's nothing amazing, but, whatever:

I was on a city bus near the back when a man came on. The guy was short, had dark hair, and wore glasses but I knew that he was a newcomer for Smash 4 (I'm not sure who would fit the role). The back of the bus was on a higher level, so there were about 10 stairs to get up. The man walked up the stairs, but when he got to the top, he fell backwards and rolled down them, while everyone was gasping. I knew that the man was supposed to be a strong and mighty character (like top tier), but when he got to the bottom, he exploded. I ran out of the bus trying not to look at the mess. Yeah...all I could remember...really weird.

Anyway, I don't know if Smash 4 is going to be the last game of the series that I'll get. I have a feeling it could, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Could be a recolered character, but the only character I could think of is Jeff

Either tha or you watch too much Gangnam Style :troll:

peeup

Smash Lord
Wasn't Brawl supposed to be the last one? Like I swear I remember Sakurai saying he didn't want to/wouldn't/couldn't be a part of it any more. Could just be crazy tho.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, considering it's a major cash cow, I doubt the series will end with SSB4, but I do think that there's a very good chance SSB4 will be the last Smash made in the more "standard" way (the addition of several newcomers, very few -if any- cuts, for the most part a new batch of stages, one or two new third-parties). After this one, I feel like Smash will be taken from a whole new angle, no matter if Sakurai works on it or not, whether it be a reboot, a crossover with another company (Nintendo x somebody), or a Smash for an individual Nintendo series, or maybe even something else.

I suppose maybe a SSB5 could be squeezed out in the same style the previous games have been before reaching the bottom-of-the-barrel character-wise, but eventually the series is going to need to change itself up.
SSB5 is going to be the point at which the series will start from scratch again. Squeezing in new content only works to an extent, so having a reboot might be the best option to make the games fresh again. People might not like it, but it will work out in the end.

Glad to see I'm not the only one around here who feels this way.

If you honestly think this will be the LAST Smash Bros. game, you're delusional. While this game is unlikely to go full reboot, expecting it to act as the FINAL Smash Bros. to end all SSB games, with tons of content that fills every fanboy's desire is absurd. There is still a multitude of directions the game could take, and as Habanero said, it could even get a reboot in the future.

The same things were said back in Brawl, people expected it to be the last Smash Bros game, or a least the last one where Sakurai played a role, yet look at us now, once again we're here discussing possible entries for the roster, and Sakurai is once again at the wheel leading the design. Nothing has changed. Now while Sakurai won't be leading the development for Smash Bros forever, I doubt he'll be leaving anytime soon. He's Nintendo's new starchild, and a renowned developer, he'll be put to work on Smash Bros entries in the future as long as he works for Nintendo. Super Smash Bros is too good a franchise for Nintendo to just shelve it, it IS a console seller after all.

Take a look at Hideo Kojima for example, he said he would leave the MGS franchise at MGS2, then he reclaimed that statement with MGS4, but still we got Peace Walker, and now he's recently working on Ground Zeroes, leaving fans to wonder, "wasn't Kojima done with the Metal Gear franchise 4 years ago?"

One more thing, since when has there ever been a game that quells all fan desires the way most people ask? Pokemon fans have been asking for an all region Pokemon MMO game for ages and everyone with half a brain knows GameFreak would never do that.

Mark my words, SSB4 will NOT have all the characters from Brawl, it will NOT include all the desired entries, and it WILL find the right balance between having enough content to satisfy fans, yet taking out other stuff to leave fans wanting for more. Nintendo is running a business after all, they aren't going to have one of their most successful IPs "go out with a bang" any time soon.

I also doubt SSB4 will be the best Smash Bros game in the series. That's putting WAY too much blind faith on a game we know NOTHING about. As it stands today, the best Smash in terms of gameplay is Melee (in my opinion) hands down.

I would honestly like to know where the sentiment that this will be the last Smash Bros game is coming from? Is it because Roster predictions are becoming more and more obscure? Or is it a looming feeling because the series is running a risk of getting stale? I agree with the latter, but I think that's the case with a lot of Nintendo IPs as we've already previously talked about (Mario 2D, Zelda, Pokemon, etc...). Not to mention creativity in the gaming industry is stagnating, and many people predict a second 'crash' (which I personally doubt). However, this will all eventually see a rebirth
(ironically, yet not surprisingly) as will the world economy
when new social attitudes are adopted alongside new technologies. Likewise, I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of Nintendo IP's get rebooted in the near future when the company stops hiding the dirt under the rug, and begins to buckle down and make wise decisions.

Anyway, I think I said all I needed to say. And if this is gonna be your last Smash Bros game then,
See you once again in 2017

peeup

Smash Lord
Perhaps SSB4 will be the last entry with Sakurai spearheading it, and Namco/Bandai's involvement is kind of like a passing of the reins, and they'll be in charge of future installments. But I think it unlikely that Sakurai will be completely removed from the equation.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Perhaps SSB4 will be the last entry with Sakurai spearheading it, and Namco/Bandai's involvement is kind of like a passing of the reins, and they'll be in charge of future installments. But I think it unlikely that Sakurai will be completely removed from the equation.

Oh, I'm sure he'll still play something of a role, but it'll be more like an adviser or mentor than the driving force to it.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Manly, try collapse tags for images. Place "collapse" in brackets, then place "/collapse" in brackets again after whatever you wanna conceal.

Smooth Criminal

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
For last few pages, I totally agreed with most of people based on SSB4 and excitement surrounding around characters.

I can't be excited for many characters because I fear that it would backfire on me like it did for me last time. I was too overhyped for Brawl because of amazing selection of new characters for starter which would led me to assume that there would be awesome characters to unlock, but it was just slap to my face that most of characters were returning characters.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
For those doubting Smash 5, keep in mind that Nintendo would come up with a few IPs in the next six years.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
For those doubting Smash 5, keep in mind that Nintendo would come up with a few IPs in the next six years.

Yeah. There would probably be like a dozen new IP's and only one or two of them will get a playable character. Kinda like what happened in Brawl when apparently the only new IP's that were worthy of having playable characters were Animal Crossing and Pikmin and only Pikmin got Olimar. :rolleyes:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Arcadenik nails it. What's the point mentioning the new IPs if they might never reach the same success as Mario or are not 1st party? (Or have Miyamoto somehow involved)?

This is why I can't see a new standard Smash Bros coming unless Sakurai would stop being picky about some IPs or characters. And also if the 2nd party ones would be easier to put in someway.

I more of predict that we'd get spinoffs or even a reboot decreasing amount of IPs.

peeup

Smash Lord
Anyways, back to the actual roster discussion... There's obviously a ton of hype surrounding Mewtwo, enough that I think it's fair to say we'll see him again. But people are also asking for Lucario to come back, Genesect, and maybe even another Pokemon Trainer. Also, there's the slight possibility of Pluse+Minun making a revival for SSB4 (maybe even Pichu :troll:). That's like a whole lot of Pokemon reps. I personally think it would be blasphemous to have more Pokemon reps than Mario reps. I like Pokemon games more than I like Mario games, but it seems pretty fair that the biggest Nintendo franchise would get the most characters. Thoughts? Possible new Mario reps? Paper Mario?

D

Deleted member

So the "end of the world has arrived". Apparently, it's just like another day. OMG, IT MUST TOTALLY BE THE BEGINNING OF THE END!

@peeup: Considering that Pokémon got more reps in Brawl than Mario or Zelda, I'd say eight Pokémon reps, five Zelda reps, and four or five Mario reps would be fair (transformation included).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
8 reps? Pikachu, Jigglypuff, a certain gen Trainer with 3 Pokemon, random 5th/6th gen Pokemon, Mewtwo, & Rucario Lucario.

Seems acceptable.

@Arcadenik You're right. Probably they should focus mostly on the already repped franchises and take few characters several notable IPs from the 1980s-2010s range. There are tons of classic/obscure characters to choose from who I'd think might not making it until the 5th title (Muddy, ect). The only IPs in can think of that could be repped in the near future since I'm afraid they might not make it this time around (SSB4) are Last Story (since Xenoblade's more likely for SSB4), Sin & Punishment, and Golden Sun.

D

Deleted member

I think we can bet on Mewtwo coming back. If not on the official Roster, definitely as DLC. As far as how many Pokemon reps we'll see. I say 5 slots. With Lucario probably getting replaced by Zoroark. Mario on the other hand... The only rep that seems likely/interesting to me is Paper Mario as the "RPG Mario" (meaning he has the Jumps and Hammer as moves as opposed to Mario's homage to classic platformers).

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
^To be honest, I still wonder if Lucario is as likely as getting axed as we all think. It's not like Zoroark was a successful replacement to Lucario as the latter is still as popular as ever. Add that to the fact that Zoroark is less known than Lucario as well (considering its rarity in the games). Even in the latest games (BW2), Lucario and Riolu are available very early in the game and their popularity shows right through their comeback in Unova.

Indeed, Zoroark's major points are that it's a popular Pokemon from the latest generation and that it's a humanoid like Pokemon that resembles Lucario. However, Lucario still remains quite well known and iconic to the series even at this time. It's even being featured in the anime once again (from what I've seen). Just the more exposure of Lucario to the fanbase lately has led me to some doubts about whether Brawl will be the last time we'll be seeing the Aura Pokemon.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Pretty much what Propeller Toad said is how I feel about the whole "Lucario v Zoroark" thing.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Is anyone else looking forward Smash 4 3DS more than Smash 4 Wii U?

Assuming both games have the same roster, I think Smash 4 3DS would be a more refreshing experience due to a full-blown empahsis on single-player, than Smash 4 Wii U which may be just more of the same of Melee and Brawl.

For someone who only really wants four characters that were not in Brawl, there has to be something else to look forward to in regards to Smash 4 besides characters, and a fresh new Smash Bros. experience on a handheld is something that excites me.

However, I do hope Smash 4 3DS does have some multiplayer features (even if it is not on the same level as Smash Bros. Wii U), because Smash 4 3DS would probably be the version I would play more of. Heck, if Smash 4 3DS ends up having its multiplayer features be as robust as Melee and Brawl's were, then I might even skip out on Smash 4 Wii U.

I wrote really detailed plans for a Smash Bros. DS back in 2004. I might share what I wrote some time if there is enough interest in it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Sakurai ceased making Kirby games because he hated the process of making sequel after sequel, correct? I can't imagine him viewing Smash any differently if that is indeed the case, and Iwata was very clear that, had Sakurai not returned to direct Brawl, Nintendo would not have made a new Smash, but given Melee an online mode and called it a day instead. The notion that Smash games are guaranteed after SSB4 ignores this precedent.

EDIT: And if he decides to go that route, I say more power to him. I can live without SSB5 flopping due to its entire newcomer roster being restricted to one-shot nobody protagonists.

D

Deleted member

^To be honest, I still wonder if Lucario is as likely as getting axed as we all think. It's not like Zoroark was a successful replacement to Lucario as the latter is still as popular as ever. Add that to the fact that Zoroark is less known than Lucario as well (considering its rarity in the games). Even in the latest games (BW2), Lucario and Riolu are available very early in the game and their popularity shows right through their comeback in Unova.

Indeed, Zoroark's major points are that it's a popular Pokemon from the latest generation and that it's a humanoid like Pokemon that resembles Lucario. However, Lucario still remains quite well known and iconic to the series even at this time. It's even being featured in the anime once again (from what I've seen). Just the more exposure of Lucario to the fanbase lately has led me to some doubts about whether Brawl will be the last time we'll be seeing the Aura Pokemon.
I don't disagree with you in the least to be honest. I'm actually quite split on the issue. However, I think Pokemon will be getting a new rep someway I think. Either Zoroark will replace Lucario, or Red will be replaced by either N or Hilbert/Hilda. Either way is fine to be honest, I like Pokemon, but their representation in Smash is not something exciting to me.

@Chrono

Well, I already play Blazblue CS2 and Guilty Gear XXAC+ on my PSP on a daily basis. So the novelty of a portable fighter is kinda gone. I'm personally looking forward to the console version because as a fighter the only thing I really care about in Smash, is the fighting. The idea of a 1p mode in a crossover game like Smash makes be think of Dissidia012 and to be honest I hated that game and its campy story. I'd much rather Sakurai focus on the meat of the game rather than shove a story down our throats again.

@SoulPech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9O1TMJyhmw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom