• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Discussion Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Perhaps I'll give ol' Mac a bump. It worked well for Palutena. Eh, what's one double post when it's for a good cause. :awesome:

But yeah, it's not even just here. From what I've seen, Little Mac talk is going through a proverbial dust bowl.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There is far less interest in Saki now too. It seems like it was only a few months ago everyone was saying he was a shoe-in, but now barely anyone talks about him.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In all honesty? I've lately been thinking that Saki has more going against him than people initially realize. I could elaborate, but it's mainly the same things we've heard over and over, usually in regards to Isaac.

I just don't feel so great on his chances anymore. Then again, I feel pessimistic now more than ever on the chances of a lot of characters.

That being said, I brought back the Mac thread to get some discussion going on his debatable waning in popularity.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There is far less interest in Saki now too. It seems like it was only a few months ago everyone was saying he was a shoe-in, but now barely anyone talks about him.
Maybe it has something to do with Shulk absorbing Isaac and Saki's support?

:phone:

D

Deleted member

Sorry. By this logic, PT should be modeled after Dawn/male guy from DP. While I would like to see some new pokemon (give us Johto!), I just don't see it likely. Same reason why Link won't be seen with a slingshot or hammer, his bow, boomerang, and bombs are much more iconic. Pretty soon, the BW starters will be just another set of starters and people will ask "Why did they replace Charizard with that ugly sumo pig thingey?" The original starters have staying power by virtue of being the original. Not the third, not the fourth, not the most recent, but the original. I'm not saying we need to keep everything the same from Smash game to Smash game, but the last time we went with "Because their recent" to put a pokemon in, we got Pichu.
I don't quite understand your logic behind this? Why the DP heroes? With first introduction of the Pokemon Trainer in Smash, it would make the most sense to use Red over anyone else, it is a means of paying tribute. But now that that bridge has been crossed you can easily model him after anyone else. The same way the Pokemon franchise replaces its hero each generation. Also, using the DP heroes now is absurd. Gen 4 is long past us and Gen 5 is ending and the most recent. It makes the most sense to model him after a Gen 5 hero if you're gonna replace him.

I do agree on the new starters being rather bland though. Still this is why I say perhaps having N replace Red as the new entry makes the most sense. He could have Zoroark in his team and you kill two birds with one stone. Not to mention Zekrom/Reshiram as a Final Smash.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't see why it would. Saki is the protagonist of an action game, and Shulk is an RPG protagonist. Beyond both of them kinda using a sword.
If people think having more blue-haired swordsmen are redundant, maybe they think having many blond swordsmen are redundant too.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If people think having more blue-haired swordsmen are redundant, maybe they think having many blond swordsmen are redundant too.

Perhaps there is a dimension to that too. Shulk, Isaac, and Saki are all anime inspired blonde sword-wielders.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Well, Saki isn't really a swordsman(he uses a gun/blade hybrid thing), so I don't think that's valid either.

D

Deleted member

Well personally Saki seems the most interesting to me out of the 3 blondies (Isaac, Shulk and Saki). I like the idea of a Sword/Gun user. That variety in abilities is why I support KOS-MOS's character. But with Saki, the idea of him using stylized gun techniques certainly piqued my interest.

Shulk comes in second, simply because I have NO idea of what he's capable of, but from what I've heard he doesn't quite strike me as a generic swordsman.

D

Deleted member

I haven't noticed a decline for Saki support. It seems to hover around the same level for awhile. It's just that discussion for Saki has always been relatively quiet.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
I don't quite understand your logic behind this? Why the DP heroes? With first introduction of the Pokemon Trainer in Smash, it would make the most sense to use Red over anyone else, it is a means of paying tribute. But now that that bridge has been crossed you can easily model him after anyone else. The same way the Pokemon franchise replaces its hero each generation. Also, using the DP heroes now is absurd. Gen 4 is long past us and Gen 5 is ending and the most recent. It makes the most sense to model him after a Gen 5 hero if you're gonna replace him.
But, why replace him? I'm not adverse to change, but I'd like to use the Link example again. In brawl, why wasn't he using stuff like the Spinner, and doing something with the dual clawshots and Dominion Rod? And I wasn't suggesting the DP heroes now, I was suggesting them for Brawl. And, I'd like to point out that it frankly isn't worth it to replace them. Here's what would happen.

1. The backlash of removing three original movesets and playstyles.
2. The backlash of removing Charizard, one of the most iconic pokemon in history.
3. The backlash from replacing them with the fairly unpopular 5th gen reps.

The only reason to add them is "Because they're new". Once the new feeling passes, there will be a chorus of "What the hell did we ask for?"

I do agree on the new starters being rather bland though. Still this is why I say perhaps having N replace Red as the new entry makes the most sense. He could have Zoroark in his team and you kill two birds with one stone. Not to mention Zekrom/Reshiram as a Final Smash.
This was actually discussed a few pages back. I remember there was a suggestion to have him actually use Zekrom/Reshiram for his whole moveset, in PT spirit. They're only about 10 ft. each, so them being downgraded to Bowser height wouldn't be so out of place (think what happened to Olimar). Personally, I love it, since otherwise he'd be using random normal pokemon. I feel N has done a fair amount to earn a spot, being Pokemon's first fleshed out villian (in-game). Although, there's Silver to think about it, but he's more of a general antagonist then a full out villian. What are your thoughts on N using Zekrom/Reshiram to fight?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I haven't noticed a decline for Saki support. It seems to hover around the same level for awhile. It's just that discussion for Saki has always been relatively quiet.
That is one thing I noticed this time is the lack of "loud" support compared to that of pre-Brawl. Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo have some loud supporters, and Shulk is getting some as well. However, the first three listed are within the Top 5 most wanted characters for Smash 4. Waluigi is probably the closest analogue to a "loud fanbase" this time, and that's it.

I am not really seeing a fanbase that reminds me of what I saw of Geno and Krystal during pre-Brawl. A really aggressive fanbase that overrates that character's prospects for Smash Bros. and aggressively attacks other characters competing for a spot with that character., I mean even GameFAQs does not see Waluigi as likely (whereas the Geno fanbase managed to convince a lot of people that Geno was).

This might change when Smash 4 is formally unveiled, but I think if Sakurai does not say/do something crazy or radical in regards to the roster (putting in non-video game characters or allowing far more third-party characters) we won't be seeing the same level of craziness that we saw during pre-Brawl.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think the loudness died down once people started to do the research and open their eyes to the truth, or just history out prioritizing everything else out of the way. It's probably why Geno had a massive collapse in popularity and why Krystal support is much more debatable.

(Why was Geno even a popular choice anyway?)

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
That is one thing I noticed this time is the lack of "loud" support compared to that of pre-Brawl. Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo have some loud supporters, and Shulk is getting some as well. However, the first three listed are within the Top 5 most wanted characters for Smash 4. Waluigi is probably the closest analogue to a "loud fanbase" this time, and that's it.

I am not really seeing a fanbase that reminds me of what I saw of Geno and Krystal during pre-Brawl. A really aggressive fanbase that overrates that character's prospects for Smash Bros. and aggressively attacks other characters competing for a spot with that character., I mean even GameFAQs does not see Waluigi as likely (whereas the Geno fanbase managed to convince a lot of people that Geno was).

This might change when Smash 4 is formally unveiled, but I think if Sakurai does not say/do something crazy or radical in regards to the roster (putting in non-video game characters or allowing far more third-party characters) we won't be seeing the same level of craziness that we saw during pre-Brawl.
Weird to because it's much harder to get a slot now then it was in brawl

It seams like we got a lot more ips from brawl to ssb4 then melee to brawl

Off topic: any one know how to turnoff auto correct on an iPad

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The only non-video game character I want is Captain N. Even the Nintendo World store in New York City has some Captain N comic books on display! See 3:15 in this video.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

I think you said it: We're quote now because there isn't a game to get excited about. It will changed when it is revealed. People will get crazy. I do think what characters are being talked about now is more of who will get in. After the game is revealed we'll see everyone's crazy idea. From looking at 4chan, I expect Ashley will be one of them.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well it is 4chan, so you can't be surprised by that. You know, waifu central with some sort of preference to flat chests.
The Ashley fanbase is going to be eaten alive if it crawls out of the cesspool that is 4ch. I did a poll on female newcomers (with Palutena out of the picture), and Ashley (and Lip) did poorly.

There are far more cynics and speculation veterans this time around that would put a damper on any unrealistic character choices.

Ashley has nothing going for her that distinguishes her from the rest of the WarioWare cast aside from being more popular among a bunch of sexual deviants due to her being a gothic loli.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Personally if we had to get to get a character from WarioWare, the arguable choice would be Mona. Mona is one of the few characters that have appeared in every installment and idolizes Wario to the point of hinting implied adventures with him.

But at the same time I am not expecting or hoping for anything from the Wario games in general. Wario by himself is perfectly fine for now.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The Ashley fanbase is going to be eaten alive if it crawls out of the cesspool that is 4ch. I did a poll on female newcomers (with Palutena out of the picture), and Ashley (and Lip) did poorly.

There are far more cynics and speculation veterans this time around that would put a damper on any unrealistic character choices.

Ashley has nothing going for her that distinguishes her from the rest of the WarioWare cast aside from being more popular among a bunch of sexual deviants due to her being a gothic loli.
Basically, people got Smart after Brawl. Makes sense. I know the same has happened to be,

4Chan has a lot of weird opinions that seem to be against the norm. They also love Waluigi, but he is liked at other places too. They also don't think Palutena will get in for some reason.

Personally if we had to get to get a character from WarioWare, the arguable choice would be Mona. Mona is one of the few characters that have appeared in every installment and idolizes Wario to the point of hinting implied adventures with him.

But at the same time I am not expecting or hoping for anything from the Wario games in general. Wario by himself is perfectly fine for now.
I think Kat and Ana could happen as well. I think, eventually, the WW characters will be Wario, Mona and Kat and Ana and will likely end there. Maybe not this Smash, but down the road perhaps.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
4Chan has a lot of weird opinions that seem to be against the norm. They also love Waluigi, but he is liked at other places too. They also don't think Palutena will get in for some reason.
Waluigi is kinda of a meme in the Super Smash Bros. threads. Every time one shows up, it's almost guaranteed to get a flood of pictures of Waluigi because of WALUIGI TIME and all that. He's kind of a mascot for those threads at this point.

Palutena is probably less liked there because, again, the "flat chest" thing I mentioned. In fact every time Palutena pictures come up, usually a Viridi picture comes up to counter that.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Basically, people got Smart after Brawl. Makes sense. I know the same has happened to be,

I think Kat and Ana could happen as well. I think, eventually, the WW characters will be Wario, Mona and Kat and Ana and will likely end there. Maybe not this Smash, but down the road perhaps.
Considering the massive popularity of WarioWare in Japan and how many titles it spawned compared to Wario Land, I'd say there's a 50/50 chance of a Wario newcomer happening.

D

Deleted member

I see plenty of supporters overstating Waluigi's odds of getting in. I mean seriously, some of them think he's a near shoo-in.

I think our Geno of SSB4 will be a third-party character again and I'm placing my bet on Travis Touchdown or (more likely) Bayonetta. And once again, the Geno of SSB4 will miss the boat.
Habanero said:
(Why was Geno even a popular choice anyway?)
Because Fatmanonice wanted him in pre-Brawl and made a large campaign to get him in. No seriously, that's what happened.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I was quite confused by Ashley's support. A gothic loli and that's mostly all what she has going for her. Lip again I think is loathed because she's obscure and loli as well.

Geno's support, oh man. It's an meme on itself. (-=<>=);; Supposed missing track from Brawl lists a remix of Forest Maze from SMRPG.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I was quite confused by Ashley's support. A gothic loli and that's mostly all what she has going for her. Lip again I think is loathed because she's obscure and loli as well.
Lip is not loathed so much as Sakurai put it, "how many people actually know who she is?".

I have not seen a character get hate for being a loli.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Lip is arguably more ignored because she's not a character like Ridley of King K. Rool. You know, something cool that makes you want to play as the character. Lip is at this point is adorable to the point of diabetes, which is something most people don't want (at least in the west).

Personally I wouldn't mind Lip that much if she was reasonably fun to play as and can humiliate friends akin to Jigglypuff.

D

Deleted member

Geno's support, oh man. It's an meme on itself. (-=<>=);; Supposed missing track from Brawl lists a remix of Forest Maze from SMRPG, but I digress that it's really true. Could it be just a fan remix?
I think it's been confirmed to be a fan remix, but it did fool a lot of people into thinking that it was real.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Chrono: Well in GameFAQs I've seen people tend to label her as this another loli people seem to support because she seems yet another japanese loli girl. (Harvestmoonmike for example runs on this...)

Habanero: Diabetes incarnate, huh? Lip's character draws style from games like Puyo Puyo and Sailor Moon, kinda looks more bishoujo than diabetes cute shoujo to me:

I guess Lip needs to get a sex appeal makeover and then people will definitely flock around her like there's no tomorrow.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think our Geno of SSB4 will be a third-party character again and I'm placing my bet on Travis Touchdown or (more likely) Bayonetta. And once again, the Geno of SSB4 will miss the boat.
I doubt Travis Touchdown will be noteworthy in support. Suda51 said the next No More Heroes games will not have Travis Touchdown as the main protagonist. The NMH games were also very niche as well.

Bayonetta has far more potential though due to develop a nutty fanbase though. However, there will be a lot of people against her due to the violent and overtly sexual nature of the character and her games.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Bayonetta probably got a kick start due to the "Sakurai sneaking around Platinum Games" statement and the Bayonetta 2 game being published and funded by Nintendo.

Of course the reason for exclusion is pretty justified. Bayonetta is pretty much a sex god in a sense of flaunting her butt and strutting her legs every single second. Hell her suit is made of her hair, which means she's technically naked.

Aipom

Smash Journeyman
How? I mean, Wobbuffet would be awesome and he's one of my favorite Pokemon of all time because of the anime but how would he work in Smash? It literally cannot throw the first punch. It only fights by countering.
Still, the fact that Nintendo made a Charizard 3DS tells me that he is not going anywhere

@Acr I got a Wobbuffet move set on the TR thread
Yeah, I thought that moveset was pretty cool. People would definitely attack him, otherwise every match would end in stalemate.

To play devil's advocate, Wobbuffet's some of Wobbuffet's Pokedex entries mention a hostile side. "Usually docile, a Wobbuffet strikes back ferociously if its black tail is attacked. It makes its lair in caves where it waits for nightfall."

The Brawl trophy also mentions something about this nature. "A Patient Pokémon. A nocturnal, cave-dwelling creature, Wobbuffet is calm and collected, but it will fight back viciously if its black tail is attacked--this hints at something secretive about its tail. If Wobbuffet is put into battle, the opponent cannot run away or switch. Females have lipsticklike markings around their mouths."

This is all stretching it REALLY far I know, but I'm just throwing it out there.

But, why replace him? I'm not adverse to change, but I'd like to use the Link example again. In brawl, why wasn't he using stuff like the Spinner, and doing something with the dual clawshots and Dominion Rod? And I wasn't suggesting the DP heroes now, I was suggesting them for Brawl. And, I'd like to point out that it frankly isn't worth it to replace them. Here's what would happen.

2. The backlash of removing Charizard, one of the most iconic pokemon in history.

The only reason to add them is "Because they're new". Once the new feeling passes, there will be a chorus of "What the hell did we ask for?"

This was actually discussed a few pages back. I remember there was a suggestion to have him actually use Zekrom/Reshiram for his whole moveset, in PT spirit. They're only about 10 ft. each, so them being downgraded to Bowser height wouldn't be so out of place (think what happened to Olimar). Personally, I love it, since otherwise he'd be using random normal pokemon. I feel N has done a fair amount to earn a spot, being Pokemon's first fleshed out villian (in-game). Although, there's Silver to think about it, but he's more of a general antagonist then a full out villian. What are your thoughts on N using Zekrom/Reshiram to fight?
I know Sakurai doesn't care about generation representation at all, but I'll still cling on to the hope of getting some. I wouldn't mind a multi-generational trainer using Pokemon from generations 1, 2, and 3; or if Lucario gets cut, 2, 3, and 4.

As for N, I'm not as big a fan of him as everyone else seems to be. In terms of Super Smash Bros, I feel like he would be a strange addition for a character since his main goal was to initially release all Pokemon from their trainers; feeling as though they were better than humans. I just don't see how that would translate to the Smash universe, so I feel there are better choices.

I wouldn't mind Mona, even if it is an unpopular opinion :)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Panel de Pon's only new release since Brawl being a watered-down port of Planet Puzzle League for DSiWare also hurt Lip a lot. That seems to be the narrative for a lot of C-list series though.

If Intelligent Systems made another Panel de Pon with the fairy-theme, I think interest in Lip would grow again.

D

Deleted member

Well, the biggest differences between Link and PT are the one PT is a new character and Link isn't. Second, Link and his moveset are a staple of the Smash Bros series already. It would be the same as changing Pika's moves radically. This isn't the case with PT, it's still a new character, so you can do plenty with it still. You can very much replace Charizard and the like and not really cause too much of a big deal or not. He was already feature as a character in Smash Bros. Does he really deserve to comeback that badly, especially on such a cramped roster position?

People already complain that Pokemon is over-represented, adding more slots to their roster will only increase the complaints. Especially if characters that are more unique get cut.

As far as N goes. At first glance him fighting with one of the Tao Dragons seems odd, as I always pictured it as a FS. However, it could work. N replaces Red with Zoroark and a Tao-Dragon where you can swap between the two. FS is a Pokemon Specific Ultra move or something (I say Reshiram suits him better), this way Lucario stays and everyone wins.

Oh, and for the record, N isn't a villain. IN B2/W2 he comes back as a hero.

Well it is 4chan, so you can't be surprised by that. You know, waifu central with some sort of preference to flat chests.
Not really flat chests as much as it is to her being a Loli. A lot of people on /v/ also browse /a/, and /a/ has favored Loli females since it's creation.

Gahahahaha, this is hilarious. Half of what is /v/ isn't meant to be taken seriously. You should never go to /v/ and expect a serious thread. Especially on such a dry and treaded topic. They've had dozens of threads about speculation and a large majority of the people are tired of talking about something there is little to talk about.

Also, 4chan is a sort of counter-culture, so there's that. Don't expect mainstream ideas there anytime soon.

That being said, the site has a knack for being right about many things (just sift through the troll answers). It curious but it's true. Also, their taste in anime, manga and videogames is certainly respectable.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Chrono: Well I can't see that happening very easily. NOA still hates Lip and I think it's one of the reasons IS opted to make a game without any theme for Planet Puzzle League so the localization wouldn't come in the way again.

But yeah, I'm sad that IS is now leaving this deep and hardcore puzzle series behind due having to invest more easily selling games which they can put more love and effort on without it getting hampered by tastes of audiences. (Paper Mario and Fire Emblem). It might even tell that Panel De Pon has turned into a flop for them in means of series if it is kept abandoned for next years. The 20nth anniversary's nearing though. (2015)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Gahahahaha, this is hilarious. Half of what is /v/ isn't meant to be taken seriously. You should never go to /v/ and expect a serious thread. Especially on such a dry and treaded topic. They've had dozens of threads about speculation and a large majority of the people are tired of talking about something there is little to talk about.
I certainly don't take /v/ seriously (I never even visit 4ch). How can you respect people for whom a large minority of them find pre-pubescent girls sexually attractive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom