• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROM 5 !! November 17-18 ! Road to Apex! NEW VENUE! Streamed by VGBootCamp!!

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
A tournament isn't good when the matches that matter the most literally lose all meaning, are you brain dead?

In case you're actually too stupid to understand, imagine the entire regular season of the NFL is played and then all the teams that made it to the playoffs just decide "eh, whatever." That doesn't make it a good season because it "overall went smoothly"
This guy!!

#10LordThisGuy

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Honestly, you can't really blame the TO for what happened here. The ruling on replaying game 5 for Winner's Semis may have been questionable, but that's ultimately a small issue compared to the other crap that went on here.

Anyway, M2K was hardly a shining representative of smash here, but ultimately it wasn't his actions that truly murdered the tourney. I believe M2K thought it was a different version of DSR (his series of counterpicks would have been perfectly fine at Zeinth, for instance), and I'm inclined to believe that he was just playing badly in the game 5 reboot (which I rather expected, to be honest.) The near-forfeit was pretty sad, but he eventually did play, and played well from that point on.

The people I'm most disappointed in here are KirbyKaze and Unknown. Seriously, seeing Canada throw WF's and GF's (at least LF's looked legitimate) pretty much killed any remaining hype this tourney had, and there was no reason for it. After the debacle that was WF's, I personally was for rooting M2K to severely disrespect both of them in LF's and GF's. I don't personally mind if people split, but at least play the sets seriously!

JTsm

Smash Master
At first I thought Unknown was throwing set 1 of GF to cancel out the strange ending of his winner's set of M2K so he could win set 2 and tell haters to gtfo.
And then he went ****ing Sheik, Falco and Marth.

"Yeah uh, I was just tired and needed the money."

Yeah, **** you too, Unknown and the rest of the top 3.

Might as well give the money to DJ, Hax, and Eggm. They actually tried to be competitive.

Also, when people say,"Don't blame the TO." : He switched Winner Semi's to make it "Fair" That's fine if you manipulate the bracket BEFORE the bracket starts, but not when it gets to WINNER SEMI's. All of this could have been avoided from that one switch.

JustBlind

Smash Rookie
Here's a summary of what happened for people who didn't watch:

- Was m2k vs. eggm and kk vs. unkown and players were asked if they want to switch semis cause it would've been regional semis and the players agreed

- kk beat eggm no drama

- m2k vs unkown, unkown wins first match, m2k wins second match on FD, wins 3rd match on FoD, unkown wins 4th match on FoD. m2k tells unkown he has to let him pick FD, thinking it was DMSR not standard DSR, he wins the game on FD (after unknown almost makes 4-stock comeback) Then people tell unkown that it's standard DSR (both are written in the rules but standard takes precendece I'm guessing since it bans more stages), unkown talks to TO and TO said since m2k lied to unkown they have to replay 5th match on another stage. <-- that was what was said on stream, no actual evidence of the TO saying this exact phrasing

- (again, on stream) they said m2k has been doing this (i.e. "cheating") all tournament, though looking at bracket he 2-0'd his way through the bracket so I don't know how that's even possible since he never had to counterpick, maybe he dropped a pools game? Dunno about that

- Before replaying the 5th match m2k wants a button check and just practices tech skill while delaying tournament (note, there was a decently long pause between the last game and the redo 5th match)

- m2k loses the 5th redo match on yoshis

- in kk vs. unkown finals kk is up 2 stocks sheik vs fox game 1 then unkown wants to forfeit, gets up to shake kk's hand

- someone talks unkown into not forfeiting but kk vs. unknown then go into unkown's falco vs. kk's fox which kk loses

- m2k, waiting in losers talks to unkown asking for a 3 way split, which was reported as unkown saying no (whether there was a 2 way split between Canada was never mentioned)

- m2k beats kk in sheik dittos that looked decently real

- m2k plays fox vs. unkown's sheik game 1 grand finals, then m2k goes main vs. unkown's falco and marth for the rest of grand finals which unkown loses

That's the superficial story.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Honestly, you can't really blame the TO for what happened here. The ruling on replaying game 5 for Winner's Semis may have been questionable, but that's ultimately a small issue compared to the other crap that went on here.

Anyway, M2K was hardly a shining representative of smash here, but ultimately it wasn't his actions that truly murdered the tourney. I believe M2K thought it was a different version of DSR (his series of counterpicks would have been perfectly fine at Zeinth, for instance), and I'm inclined to believe that he was just playing badly in the game 5 reboot (which I rather expected, to be honest.) The near-forfeit was pretty sad, but he eventually did play, and played well from that point on.

The people I'm most disappointed in here are KirbyKaze and Unknown. Seriously, seeing Canada throw WF's and GF's (at least LF's looked legitimate) pretty much killed any remaining hype this tourney had, and there was no reason for it. After the debacle that was WF's, I personally was for rooting M2K to severely disrespect both of them in LF's and GF's. I don't personally mind if people split, but at least play the sets seriously!
yep. 10 yeps

JKJ

Smash Ace

Might as well give the money to DJ, Hax, and Eggm. They actually tried to be competitive.
DID HE ACTUALLY SAY THAT?
F*** him then. I really liked Unknown before this. And KK. I never liked M2K, though. The three of them should be DQ'd, the money should be given to 4th, 5th, and 6th place, and the three of them should be banned from all subsequent majors.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman

Unknown didn't go all three in the second set.

randomsaint

Smash Rookie
- (not from to or m2k but from stream) they said m2k has been doing this (i.e. "cheating") all tournament, though looking at bracket he 2-0'd his way through the bracket so I don't know how that's even possible since he never had to counterpick, maybe he dropped a pools game? Dunno about that
I heard he was doing this in doubles

reslived

Smash Apprentice
I am a big e-sports fan. Not the biggest follower of smash but I know what I am talking about when it comes to game tournaments.

To be honest, if ANY top starcraft player or league of legends team was caught splitting winnings it would be contribute to a complete fall from grace for those people. Starcraft pros have been caught throwing games and then banned from every tournament for months.

@Unknown: the last time a player threw a match in starcraft for "being tired," he was banned from the world tournament.

Part of playing in tournaments is learning to push on and play to the bitter end. Endurance plays a role in performance and it is an important role. If Smash ever wants to grow as a competitive game then this kind of **** needs to stop happening.

Papero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paperio
The sad thing is how all of this will overshadow all the amazing sets that happened beforehand.

DJ Nintendo and Eggm pulled off some amazing feats with their sets, and Hax vs Scar was definitely a crowd pleaser. Doubles was pretty solid, and the Bowser Team MM was amazing, but now this will be the thing that everyone remembers the most.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I like how someone could say that APEX GF was ruined because the hype was killed by Puff/YL. That can be argued. This tournament's conclusion could not. 3/10, this left a bad taste in my mouth.
Though not visually entertaining, it is awesome to see what lengths players will go to to win. Apex 2012 GFs were mad boring, but to see how far Armada and Hungrybox were willing to go is healthy for competition.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
The actions of a few can ruin an entire endeavor, Wretched. Don't be daft.

(not referring to you) I like how someone could say that APEX GF was ruined because the hype was killed by Puff/YL. That can be argued. This tournament's conclusion could not. 3/10, this left a bad taste in my mouth.
I'd prefer a set like that where two people try their heart out than an obvious fake.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I am a big e-sports fan. Not the biggest follower of smash but I know what I am talking about when it comes to game tournaments.

To be honest, if ANY top starcraft player or league of legends team was caught splitting winnings it would be contribute to a complete fall from grace for those people. Starcraft pros have been caught throwing games and then banned from every tournament for months.

@Unknown: the last time a player threw a match in starcraft for "being tired," he was banned from the world tournament.

Part of playing in tournaments is learning to push on and play to the bitter end. Endurance plays a role in performance and it is an important role. If Smash ever wants to grow as a competitive game then this kind of **** needs to stop happening.
This, so much.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

AlienAllen

Smash Ace

This is real talk.

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
wouldn't it be cool if Chibo dropped m2k
and alex banned m2k from apex

canadians aren't even people

Lol @ melee @ EVO
being naive and stuff is cool

JustBlind

Smash Rookie

To be honest, if ANY top starcraft player or league of legends team was caught splitting winnings it would be contribute to a complete fall from grace for those people.
That's not true at all, during the spades scandal there was a general consensus Koreans stream cheated during online events including admissions from members of Korean teams that they did it against foreigners. Former Slayer's member Golden/Dragon admitted to stream cheating (at the very least not better than match fixing though imo it's worse) and he's doing fine, still getting contracts. LoL players were pictured sneaking looks at the big screen during their grand finals and pinging exact spots where the opponent were on the minimap. Don't act like this is just a smash problem.

The only scene that did it well was SCBW, but they had a government agency and there was still match fixing (granted those people went to jail...) Other fighting game communities have the same problems, granted usually not at nationals.

randomsaint

Smash Rookie
Also, was chillin trying to that ridiculous up-tilt bull**** to Eggm in loser's the same way he did to tec0? I'm surprised no one's brought that up at all

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
heres the thing. NO PP. NO HBOX. NO MANGG0. These guys had a chance to step up and show their **** with a slightly easier tourney and they pull this.

please ban them.

alukard should've given them their entry fee back and dq'ed them and give the cash to the next in line for placing who actually wanted to battle it out.

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
heres the thing. NO PP. NO HBOX. NO MANGG0. These guys had a chance to step up and show their **** with a slightly easier tourney and they pull this.

please ban them.

alukard should've given them their entry fee back and dq'ed them and give the cash to the next in line for placing who actually wanted to battle it out.
Nah, they got up to that point fair and square. Alukard should have warned them of consequences during the sets that were thrown.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
Also, was chillin trying to that ridiculous up-tilt bull**** to Eggm in loser's the same way he did to tec0? I'm surprised no one's brought that up at all
i would like to know more about this please?

JustBlind

Smash Rookie
Not sure if there was enough time between m2k vs. unkown game 5 to stop and check the rules (though a TO should've been called over), but as soon as fox vs. falco started in winner's final someone should've said something.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
So is there any governing body of smash... that actually does stuff about cheating and poor sportsmanship?

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
that button checking **** has also got to go. our biggest tournament is apex its in alexstrife's hands how to handle it. although m2k should probably still b allowed for brawl as a lot of international players would wanna play him.

he quit and gave the win to hax. if we again didn't have to baby this kid, (oh please m2k play your match) hax would've been in top 4 and could have also prevented this year.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
"Holy **** a Melee stream with over 3,000 viewers? This is like a dream com- Oh... drama"

Suddenly I remember why I had left this community.

Top Bottom