• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROM 5 !! November 17-18 ! Road to Apex! NEW VENUE! Streamed by VGBootCamp!!

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
Id actually like to be in the MBR to discuss this, because its out of hand

After talking to alex strife and chibosempai too im very dissapointed

Wo1f

Smash Apprentice
So M2K did a button check, they wanted to split the pot 3 ways, and daves STUPID rule came into play for the first time like ever.

Something else must have happened, or else Im very confused about why people are flipping out over this. Can someone inform me? :/

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
So M2K did a button check, they wanted to split the pot 3 ways, and daves STUPID rule came into play for the first time like ever.

Something else must have happened, or else Im very confused about why people are flipping out over this. Can someone inform me? :/
They staged the final matches.

edit: More or less.

gandlebot

Smash Rookie
Here's a summary of what happened for people who didn't watch:

- Was m2k vs. eggm and kk vs. unkown and players were asked if they want to switch semis cause it would've been regional semis and the players agreed

- kk beat eggm no drama

- m2k vs unkown, unkown wins first match, m2k wins second match on FD, wins 3rd match on FoD, unkown wins 4th match on FoD. m2k tells unkown he has to let him pick FD, thinking it was DMSR not standard DSR, he wins the game on FD (after unknown almost makes 4-stock comeback) Then people tell unkown that it's standard DSR (both are written in the rules but standard takes precendece I'm guessing since it bans more stages), unkown talks to TO and TO said since m2k lied to unkown they have to replay 5th match on another stage. <-- that was what was said on stream, no actual evidence of the TO saying this exact phrasing

- (again, on stream) they said m2k has been doing this (i.e. "cheating") all tournament, though looking at bracket he 2-0'd his way through the bracket so I don't know how that's even possible since he never had to counterpick, maybe he dropped a pools game? Dunno about that

- Before replaying the 5th match m2k wants a button check and just practices tech skill while delaying tournament (note, there was a decently long pause between the last game and the redo 5th match)

- m2k loses the 5th redo match on yoshis

- in kk vs. unkown finals kk is up 2 stocks sheik vs fox game 1 then unkown wants to forfeit, gets up to shake kk's hand

- someone talks unkown into not forfeiting but kk vs. unknown then go into unkown's falco vs. kk's fox which kk loses

- m2k, waiting in losers talks to unkown asking for a 3 way split, which was reported as unkown saying no (whether there was a 2 way split between Canada was never mentioned)

- m2k beats kk in sheik dittos that looked decently real

- m2k plays fox vs. unkown's sheik game 1 grand finals, then m2k goes main vs. unkown's falco and marth for the rest of grand finals which unkown loses

That's the superficial story.
This seemed like a good summary.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Haven't played smash for 4 years, used to love it so much.
Now an avid 360 Halo 4 player.

Went on twitch.tv saw a melee stream with 3000+ viewers.
Got so excited.
Watched a lil bit.

Disappointment.
:urg:

dkuo

Smash Lord
Haven't played smash for 4 years, used to love it so much.
Now an avid 360 Halo 4 player.

Went on twitch.tv saw a melee stream with 3000+ viewers.
Got so excited.
Watched a lil bit.

Disappointment.
:urg:
Reading comments like this is really disappointing.

:/

edit - someone quoteninja'd me

Hax

Smash Champion
What a lame ending to one of the most fun weekends I've ever had. Too much fun teaming with scar.

With melee being a candidate for Evo this is the opposite of what we needed :(

GGs everyone. Lets get past this disaster asap

:phone:

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
Possible solutions to this problem

To help deter pot-splitting:

Establish are rule that states the TO can DQ any player who is not playing to win. (This is obviously subjective, but TO's want good tournaments and don't want their name corrupted. So if a TO was abusing this rule the players/smashboards/etc could disgrace the TO and hopefully it would never happen again)

If you don't really care about pot-splitting but want to stop *******es from pot-splitting so openly:

Establish a rule that if you are caught pot-splitting, you are disqualified and receive no prize money.

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
So have like any of our great esteemed "leaders" of the Smash community ever thought of taking initiative (and having a back bone of some sort) and banning Mr. Zimms from events?

Or are we all cool with him constantly making us look like ****?
Cause you know, mediocrity is all the craze.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
So have like any of our great esteemed "leaders" of the Smash community ever thought of taking initiative (and having a back bone of some sort) and banning Mr. Zimms from events?

Or are we all cool with him constantly making us look like ****?
Cause you know, mediocrity is all the craze.
when the Unity Ruleset Commitee existed for brawl, they had this "Yellow/Red Card" system which handled pot splitting, rule breaking etc etc for individual players at tournaments that used the Unity Ruleset. Yellow card = warning, Red Card = not allowed to enter tournaments using the URC. IIRC, M2k split and bracket manipulated or something at a tournament that used the Unity Ruleset, they gave him a red card and the brawl community basically told the URC to choke on ****s and to stop being babies, then started talking about how much they love M2k and would start doing tournaments without the Unity Ruleset so he could play

i wish i was kidding about the last part, but yes that basically happened

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I have a better idea. How about everyone who's complaining just steps their game up so they're the ones playing in WFs, LFs, and GFs instead of ppl that split?

VideoKidHEERO

Smash Champion
It's the manner in which the URC handled business that made them so bloody unappealing and why the Brawl community basically told them to "**** off"

Twas a KTAR that happened at.
I was there myself.

Also, not everyone ran Unity, so M2K wasn't necessarily banned nor discouraged from showing up to other events

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
you're so smart nintendude, no1 has ever said that before. you're probably right, if some1 breaks the rules....**** it, who cares.

unknown522

Some guy
Lol. People don't even understand ****. I was not in it for the money. Splitting versus getting second place actually makes no difference in the money I won.

Anyways, I'll explain myself later

reslived

Smash Apprentice
Lol. People don't even understand ****. I was not in it for the money. Splitting versus getting second place actually makes no difference in the money I won.

Anyways, I'll explain myself later

That is the wrong attitude of a professional and will keep smash in the underworld of e-sports forever.

Being a professional means always doing your best and aiming to win no matter the costs, thus giving the fans (in this case 3K people O_O) a good show. In an ideal world money wouldn't even play a factor to that, but as humans and capitalists, the money gives us a reason to practice harder between each tournament.

I look forward to your explanation unknown

M@v

Subarashii!
You don't split unless you care about money. The only time you split and not care about money is if the venue is dragging you out the door due to running late and there is no time to play the rest of the tourney.

But yeah, saying you split and not caring about money is the same as saying you go to college and not care about your gpa.

D

Deleted member

You don't split unless you care about money.
Hope you got some Nike Airs for those leaps of logic. Splitting is a complex behavior performed by complex beings in a complex system. For all we know, they could have split because they wanted to go to a strip club 10 minutes earlier. Keep your misinformation to yourself.

M@v

Subarashii!
Way to not read the whole post umbreon. Anyway, lets move the discussion to the new thread as fuzzyness wants.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Hope you got some Nike Airs for those leaps of logic. Splitting is a complex behavior performed by complex beings in a complex system. For all we know, they could have split because they wanted to go to a strip club 10 minutes earlier. Keep your misinformation to yourself.
Lol you're like the definition of a dumb mother****er trying his very hardest to seem smart

"A complex behavior performed by complex beings in a complex system"? Do I really need to explain why that's a stupid ****ing thing to say?

GOTM

Smash Champion
Good tournament. I'll do shout outs later. I had a lot of fun watching "Jungle Gold". Perch at me.

Scar blows. Chillin, get quad-shined by "Drive Alive" son.

Awstintacious

Smash Apprentice
i dont really blame m2k for THIS as much as i blame uknown tbh
I look forward to this.

I too hope that this is good, I had 6 other people in my dorm who I'm trying to get into melee all watching this and I had to try to explain to them what was happening. Plus I was really hoping we'd have a really good push with KoC, ROM, NEC, and APEX leading up to EVO.

Basically just sad that people so good don't want to give it their all when I'm trying to get melee big in every way I can.

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
alex strife, whatre you thinking about doing to prevent this at apex?

oh and how about that doubles game on jungle japes lol

Top Bottom