• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROM 5 !! November 17-18 ! Road to Apex! NEW VENUE! Streamed by VGBootCamp!!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
hax requested it, m2k agreed to it
So I can request a best-of-999 set and if my opponent agrees to it, we can hold up the tourney by ten hours?

It should be common sense that the gentleman clause only applies to rules that don't deliberately extend the running time of the tournament.

Scar

#HarveyDent
So I can request a best-of-999 set and if my opponent agrees to it, we can hold up the tourney by ten hours?

It should be common sense that the gentleman clause only applies to rules that don't deliberately extend the running time of the tournament.
this is definitely an interesting topic - of course there need to be limits but i don't see a problem (and in fact would advocate) 3/5 in certain non-finals situations.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ideally if there were no time constraints, I'd rather just have the final day bracket all 3/5. That's the way MLG used to do it.

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
Ideally if there were no time constraints, I'd rather just have the final day bracket all 3/5. That's the way MLG used to do it.
I feel with the current stagelist, A Bo5 with no bans really proves who the better player is. Anytime you add more matches the better player will win. A Bo3 will advance the better player more often the a Bo1. A Bo5 advances the better player more often then a Bo3. Obviously we cant be playing Best of 15 matches because of time, but I think Bo5 in these situations is a happy medium, and I think that far into the tourny it was acceptable for hax to ask.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i figured the whole "last stage you won on" thing made sense just to avoid people winning full 3/5 sets on one stage (the one you struck to, persay). i feel like if the form of DSR to never go back to a stage you won on is enforced, then the stagelist should be opened up just a little bit.

or just battlefield only lol.

Boat Mode

Smash Journeyman
This was SUCH a fun tournament until all this bs drama started. I used to be a pretty big M2k fan, but after sitting in the second row for the latter half of the stream matches, I'm disgusted.

Say what you want about who did wrong by the rules, he acted like a child through the whole thing. Cactuar walked up and told them the rules as soon as it was questioned. M2k pushed anyway and got what he wanted. He pushed for constant button checks. And he **** all over hax by trying to forfiet. I just wish Alu hadn't convinced him to play. You forfiet, you're out move on. I'd really advocate barring him from future tournaments, hes loosing his edge anyway. He pulled similar **** at Zenith.

Side note, I really like unknown. But dude you're a top player, know the rules and buy a new controller and break it in from sratch. PLEASE GET YOUR **** TOGETHER.

TL;DR, m2k is not worth the hassle and as an eye witness I was offended by his behavior, gtfo.

:phone:

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
Jason is my favorite player. even if he doesn't enter, I would stalk him around the venue because he's just so damn funny.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
jw if this guy has any clue what he's talking about in any capacity whatsoever lol

p.s. i just watched the skulls

more entertaining than RoM5 GFs

but RoM in general was an incredibly fun tourney, definitely reminded me that the homies are equally important to me as the game itself is. i love melee but it's nothing without the community (read: my friends). i feel bad for alu for all the drama =/ and i'm pretty excited for dat shoutouts thread

tope you should have been there
It's tournament 101. You don't mess with a bracket late in the tournament, ESPECIALLY a) when it is the finals, and b) at a player's request.

If you want to call me out for not attending ROM, that is okay, but don't call me out for lack of tournament knowledge because I do have plenty.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
As an aside, I believe that Melee is a game that could benefit from a switch from Bo3 to Bo5 in last day bracket sets.

Just like Marvel, go figure.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I'm on my phone so I cant really explain it thoroughly, but if you were at the venue you'd know the bracket float was a necessary decision. If you guys want to blame anyone for it, it ought to be me cause I was part of the group that suggested it.

Niko45

Smash Master
The thing that I don't get is the super hard backlash and salt from this. Top players have been disappointing their fans/the community for years. This isn't new at all.

Maybe expectations are set too high. Maybe this **** just wasn't that hype?

GOTM

Smash Champion
The fact that M2K and Unknown did not take their tournament sets seriously is discouraging, however, you shouldn't ban or turn away from a player for doing it. Some players are just less competitive than others, and if someone is (for lack of a better term), "sandbagging" just for the hell of it, they may not approach the game the same way as you, or respect it as much, but they are still playing it, and playing it how they would like. That is fine.

The fact that a player(s) split tournament winnings is once again, somewhat depreciative of the bracket, but none the less a players right. People do this at final tables in poker all the time. You have 9 guys sitting at a table after playing for hours straight, and they decide they'd rather reward everyone a little instead of fighting for the pot themselves. It takes every bit of competitiveness out of the game, but there's nothing inherently wrong with it. There can't be a rule against that. They'd just split the cash outside the venue if they couldn't officially say they were doing it inside, and then **** around with the sets anyway.

The one thing you can ban for (and should), is bracket fixing. If a player forfeits, that's fine, but he/she should then forfeit the tournament, not just that match. If you attend a tournament, and are set to play someone in bracket, the only way you should not have to play that set is if you are physically unable to. It's the opponents right to play you as well, not just your own, remember that. They paid and played their *** off to get there and play you as well.

If someone came to my tournament and forfeited a set just to get into losers, or to get their friend into the next round, they'd be gone, and wouldn't take any cash at all. Yeah maybe someone would give them a cut but it comes down to principal. You have to at least stand for something. If you want to play your set and let someone win, fine. That goes back to point #1. There's absolutely no way to guard against this.

I think it's kind of ridiculous that people are thinking taking certain measures would stop these things from happening. They won't. There's always a way around it (albeit longer), but at the very least they will be less common, and that's what we should aim for.

Scar

#HarveyDent
It's tournament 101. You don't mess with a bracket late in the tournament, ESPECIALLY a) when it is the finals, and b) at a player's request.

If you want to call me out for not attending ROM, that is okay, but don't call me out for lack of tournament knowledge because I do have plenty.
wasn't sure if you would reply but allow me to clarify my confusion as to whether you're fully aware of the facts

I may piss you off, but since when do you care about having a harder bracket? That is the fault of the TO for not seeding properly, and if you beat eggm all the time, tough ****. You don't have the right to rearrange the entire bracket just because you beat eggm all the time.
This makes no sense bc M2K didn't request to switch the bracket - he allowed the switch per requests from Canada. So you can't have beef with M2K on this, period. Pretty sure you missed something here.

It appears to me that you got pissy at GF because Unknown used characters that he normally doesn't use, and enter your typical ranting and raving.
M2K isn't complaining about unknown's choice of characters - the community is complaining about it because it's entirely unclear why Unknown would do that, considering his situation. It seems (or seemed), to us, that he threw 2 sets for no real reason when 3k viewers were on stream. Again your beef is misdirected.

So yeah if you can clarify what exactly you're talking about I'd appreciate that.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Great to see everyone. Shoutouts and more to come, but really, this was my favorite tournament ever. Soooo much respect for the Melee greats. So much respect.

Alukard

Smash Hero
Results thread?
results thread is in the works ... ****ing tio is balls and now apparently is a corrupt file ... but me and chain ace both took precautions because we both know how things can happen we are getting the entrants from pools sheets lol... sorry its not up yet guys i'm doing my best along with all these conference calls with people in the other communites and potential sponsors who are now really mad or backing out because they dont see things as competitive as they should be with us ....

i will continue to fight for this community and i wont let what happened at this tournament stop me from getting us all what we deserve !

i love you guys and i love this community ... we can do this

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
In case you're actually too stupid to understand, imagine the entire regular season of the NFL is played and then all the teams that made it to the playoffs just decide "eh, whatever." That doesn't make it a good season because it "overall went smoothly"
Your example is lol

Your example is an entire bracket not finishing the tournament. A better example would be an entire regular season of the NFL is played and then the superbowl isn't played.

And in case you're actually too stupid to understand, the superbowl not happening doesn't mean that the entire season was bad and pointless and it doesn't devalue the efforts of all of the other players. That is what I was saying because Ally was calling the tournament terrible and telling Alukard that his reputation was being tarnished.

idea

Smash Master
results thread is in the works ... ****ing tio is balls and now apparently is a corrupt file ... but me and chain ace both took precautions because we both know how things can happen we are getting the entrants from pools sheets lol... sorry its not up yet guys i'm doing my best along with all these conference calls with people in the other communites and potential sponsors who are now really mad or backing out because they dont see things as competitive as they should be with us ....

i will continue to fight for this community and i wont let what happened at this tournament stop me from getting us all what we deserve !

i love you guys and i love this community ... we can do this
dude just use the challonge!

http://challonge.com/rom5singles
http://challonge.com/rom5doubles

Aber

Smash Journeyman
So guys, which part of me not gaining money out of the split do you not understand?

Anyways. I will definitely write something up with my honest feelings/opinions.

If the chance comes up again at a major, I will definitely not do this again! I promise all of you!

I did not feel good and I feel I let everyone down including myself for not playing it out. I felt so bad that I offered to run back the set and not split, but I was told not to.

Like I really tried to make amends and I really promise that I am actually sorry and will never let it happen again if it comes up again.

zero respect....You had just defeated MEW2KING (Illegitimate or Legitimate that was the situation. I personally think once the match was allowed to be played, which it should not have, that was it, no replays) and were on the verge of winning your first major/national.....

edit: with like 4k ppl watching....

JTsm

Smash Master
lol oh yeah

but then, tio might have lost the bracket too.

edit: maybe people should start saving copies of the tio file at regular intervals...
That's too responsible IMO.

R3N0

Smash Lord
That's too responsible IMO.
Hey, just want you to know, we did save it at regular intervals.

We work with what we had. Sometimes things happen. No need to be snarky.. Have some more faith, thanks.

Things happen.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Those last few matches were painful to watch. You guys really went out of your way to make it painfully obvious that it was a split. smh.

Any open discussion about splitting aside from emergencies/venue closing should be punished in tournaments. I don't care if you have a death pool or bracket switch or whatever rule or condition "ruined your mindset." Adapt and use what endurance you still have to play to the ****ing end. If you are planning to split, go outside (and be sure that absolutely noone else is there) and discuss it or even better...offer to do it after the results are played out. Keep everyone but the parties involved out of it. The crowd and the other competitors don't need or want to hear that ****. You've seen the response from many people in this thread.

With that aside, amazing stream quality. Enjoyed the matches before the top 3. Good ****, VGBootCamp.

My 2 pesos. Done.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I really think this point has been beaten to death but I'm pretty damn sure it wasn't about splitting. Neither cared to play, they looked bored and the money had nothing to do with it. If anything it seems more like controller johns from two people who have made controller johns in the past. It wasn't "let's split the money and gtfo"

And no one should be implicating KK, they've played Falco-Fox/Kirby-Pichu. It wasn't "lol we already got the money we came for let's troll with low tiers".

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I am going to say that controller johns are actually legit. Hate me with all your might if you must, for this is the statement I stand by. It DOES matter. When you are at our level/tech level and already know what to do for situations and it comes down to your execution, controller really does matter. In melee, they vary GREATLY. We currently don't have the controllers in our possession that allow us to play at our best. We also both borrowed them from people and had to return it after the tourney. I am standing by this statement because it is the truth. I'm not going to lie about it just to say what people "want to hear" if I don't think it's the truth.

LLDL

Smash Hero
If there was anyone who did NOT sandbag at this tournament, it was mew2king. Just look at his matches.

Top Bottom