• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rolls seem problematic in this game

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Hey, just wanted to talk about something that I don't really see many people talking about. I've been playing smash competitively for a while, since '09 roughly. Been to tons of Brawl tournaments, plenty of Melee tournaments, I'm pretty comfortable with the series, and I'm, at least, pretty knowledgeable. Not that it's an accomplishment, but out of some 250 games, I have roughly an 85-90% winrate in smash 4, at least last I checked.

In that vein, I hope that the following isn't written off immediately for being a bad player; perhaps I am just bad, and I'll explore that as I see the metagame develop. In the mean time, rolls in this game are absurdly powerful. Not all of them, but a good chunk of them. Little Mac's, Sheik's, D3's, etc. They are so fast, with more than enough invincibility, that you cannot punish them on reaction. Very few characters have the frame data to even punish it on expectation (where you're waiting to see it, and then you attack afterwards,) most punishes will be powershielded, normal shielded, or miss due to a buffered roll/spotdodge.

Many characters can't even punish a roll on a completely hard read. For instance, Jigglypuff literally can't catch most characters as they're rolling away, she can't get there in time. Of course Jigglypuff is one of the slowest moving characters, but it isn't really an outlier of a situation. It would seem that many, if not most, characters arem't capable of it in the cases of the better rollers. I'm not as versed as with the middish rollers, nor have I made a list on which rolls are most effective.

Cross-up rolls can generally be punished, but many of them, especially in many matchups, require a read of both the roll, the direction of the roll, and the exact time the roll is done, because otherwise, the frame data is simply too fast for reaction time+punish-move-startup to hit. There's a very relevant analogue to Brawl here. In Brawl, Meta Knight has a very fast forward roll. I believe it has the fastest frame data (I think it was it or ZSS'? Someone here probably remembers better than I do.) It was fast enough to cross the opponent up with them actually not being able to punish on reaction.

People did punish MK's forward roll, with things like preemptive pivot grabs, charged smashes (think MK's stutterstep fsmash in the ditto,) etc, and it was largely enough to make the risk:reward not as favorable as other options, at least enough to make it a super common option. It was still a good mixup when you where in the range to do it, and it often baited the opponent to roll or spotdodge themselves.

In this game, some characters have rolls which are faster than MKs, and seem to have options out of those rolls which are quicker than MKs. As well, MK could never really use his roll repeatedly, because his backroll was ass. In smash 4, back rolls and forward rolls appear to be similar in speed. The metagame never developed, over 6 years, to the point where people could spot the forward roll and turn around and punish on reaction.

What I'm getting at is that when excessive rolling isn't completely mindless, the terrible kind you'll see on For Glory, for instance, it's completely unreasonable to punish, and the inability to punish will not improve if Brawl's metagame development is anything to go by. It looks, to me, like this is the direction of the game, with nothing really to prevent it.

Big wall of text later. tl;dr, rolls appear to be legitimately very powerful in this game, but because of how weak it is in prior games, it's associated with weaker play, and good players trend toward not abusing it. What is the community at large's opinion?

Last edited:

Bufu_Man

Smash Ace
As a rob and D3 player who both have lingering down smashes, esp the former, some rolls are really hard to punish! Ive had multiple people roll back and forth around my down smashes UNTOUCHED. Very annoying esp DHD roll, who i feel is one of the fastest and safest so far.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
What aspects of rolls specifically do you think are stronger than they were in Brawl?

Because the way I see it, rolling backwards and forwards in Smash is roughly comparable to jumping backwards and forwards in Street Fighter, in terms of both being high risk but potentially very rewarding situations.

With the Jigglypuff example you mentioned, you can very frequently catch backrolls due to her fast air speed. Pound works very well due to its very long-lasting hitbox, and you could also use Fair or Bair (depending on which way you're facing) or Dair. Hell, if you read them really well, you could even Rest. Jigglypuff has so many options for dealing with reckless rolling.

I'm sorry, but I'm genuinely not seeing a problem with roll dodges as they exist currently.

JediLink

Smash Ace
It'd be great if we could somehow mine the frame data so we can analyze this issue objectively rather than simply going from observation.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
I find that pivot tilts and smashes deal with roll spamming quite effectively. Just my experience, though maybe I'm not fighting the right people...

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
I haven't had too much trouble with rolling, but I haven't fought anyone decent who uses them effectively I guess, just noobs who roll constantly. I fought a Villager a while ago who rolled around like an infant for most of the match, throwing out Down Smashes now and then, but it didn't really do much, it's just annoying. Could rolling really be that abusable? I find short dashes much better for maneuvering.

Leebee

Smash Cadet
What aspects of rolls specifically do you think are stronger than they were in Brawl?

Because the way I see it, rolling backwards and forwards in Smash is roughly comparable to jumping backwards and forwards in Street Fighter, in terms of both being high risk but potentially very rewarding situations.

With the Jigglypuff example you mentioned, you can very frequently catch backrolls due to her fast air speed. Pound works very well due to its very long-lasting hitbox, and you could also use Fair or Bair (depending on which way you're facing) or Dair. Hell, if you read them really well, you could even Rest. Jigglypuff has so many options for dealing with reckless rolling.

I'm sorry, but I'm genuinely not seeing a problem with roll dodges as they exist currently.

it's really not like jumping in or away in SF. there's much less risk and even with a read you aren't guaranteed a punish considering how fast rolls execute and recover.

Untouch

Smash Master
I think people who don't want to learn frame data so they can punish better is problematic.
I read that the rolls have less I frames than in brawl, they just move further.

Wild Woody

Smash Rookie
NNID
YuriKoigakubo
3DS FC
2707-1621-8891
Its gonna be a real pain in the ass to get used to, but i think eventually we will all start looking out for the m and punishing as needed.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
I don't think you've played the right person yet. I hope you end up playing the duck hunt player I played 2 matches from last night. Twice it came down to under 30 seconds left of me doing nothing but chasing after a dog rolling from side to side on the screen spamming clay/can. I left after two matches because I can't stand spending 15 minutes to play out 4 stocks.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
As a Zelda main, I can ay that I ****ing hate Little Mac and his rolls.
My .02, anyway.

Bonren

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bonren
3DS FC
1564-2345-5130
I feel the exact same way! Rolling seems to be wayyy less risky in this game.

Now I have no frame data to back the up, but I feel like characters have wayyyy less invincibility frames DURING the roll as opposed to Brawl and Melee. I was having trouble down smashing opponents who would roll a lot, if I would wiff it would be super punished.

Instead I learned to just follow the roll with a short hop and aerials. I would hit them during the rolls and they were a LOT less risky to use then downsmashes and pivot smashes/tilts.

I could be completely wrong, but after playing my friend who just spams rolling all day long with DH this is what I've come up with.

Last edited:

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I'm a Sheik main, and I've had the same problem at first. I figured out one solution, but it requires tons of patience. Punish rolls with dash canceled forward tilts (dash and then do a forward tilt in the opposite direction) or with a quick long lasting move like Mario's nair. The reason why this requires patience is because you're likely not getting kills with this method.

DarkDream

Smash Apprentice
The rolls can definitely be a problem. I fought a few characters vs Marth who were able to roll through my preemptive reverse forward smash. They started from in front of me, I started charging a forward smash in the opposite direction, I saw his roll animation, I let go of the forward smash and he still rolled away from it.

As Gannon one of his only redeeming qualities in brawl was his ability to choke loop people who continuously roll after the choke. Not only does this straight not work on some characters, he can't even get the choke on reaction to standard rolls. People have just straight rolled again out of the range of his choke.

The only characters I was able to punish roll with was mega man, and even then that's only sometimes.

The roll needs a cool down time just like grabs have for another roll or shield, or make the shield weaker with each roll or something. I'm down with acting out of rolls quickly but not into more defensive movements like rolling and dodging. It makes some matches just painful.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Be patient, punish rolls with dash attack and launching projectiles (I think almost everyone has one of these things) and get your finishers out of the juggle. Rolling is much stronger in this game, but landing isn't as safe.

I would LOVE to see dimishing returns on rolls. I know its something thats in almost every beat-em-up from platinum. However, competitively, it didn't really help, because the rolls were too good anyway. In Anarchy Reigns (a multiplayer beat-em-up) your 3rd consecutive rolls would have massive end lag, but delaying a small amount would cause it to register as a 1st roll again.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I think people who don't want to learn frame data so they can punish better is problematic.
I frames seem to generally be much earlier in the roll than in previous titles, so you don't want to wait until the roll ends or comes close to ending before attacking. Little Mac's rolls are legit amazing for intangibility duration, though.

Same with Lucario. He can roll all day.
What are you talking about? Lucario's rolls got nerfed hard, both compared to Brawl and compared to the rest of the cast. He can't act out of a roll until the animation is almost entirely over (there's a few interruptable frames as Lucario adjusts his arm posture very slightly, but it's such a short duration it's pathetic). It does have some pretty great intangibility duration though, being intangible throughout the entire move, but again that endlag is definitely noticeable and as a result they're very much not useful as a punishment tool. They're only remotely good for evasion spam because they have good distance, but they're still slower than most characters' dashes, especially with that pretty heavy endlag.

As for how to punish rolls? Raptor Boost works wonders if you're Falcon, or Onslaught or a perfectly-timed Burning Dropkick if you're Mii Brawler. For Ganondorf, while the Flame Choke is too slow Wizard's Foot often works. For the minimum-size Mii Brawler I use, I can often just run at the opponent and wait for them to back-roll, then throw a dash attack. If I predict a forward roll, Feint Jump backwards out of run and hit them with the dive kick. You actually have to predict for that, though.

Last edited:

Darkman.exe213

Smash Apprentice
I barely touched the game and I have no problems with rolls yet. I think a lot of players here are still stuck with a casual mindset and have trouble transitioning and learning to read/react and punish.

Rolls were a much bigger problem in Brawl and even then they weren't way abusable at competitive levels.

If you seem to never be able to punish rolls fast enough, then you should also change up your attack pattern. You shouldn't ALWAYS be trying to throw out an attack or doing stuff, sometimes you want to just move around a bit and anticipate your opponent's next move instead, so you leave yourself time to punish when you see your opponent trying to roll, approach, etc. Also keep in mind you don't always have to use a smash attack or something super strong to punish rolls, sometimes a basic jab combo works wonders because they come out quickly and you're not betting everything on a single hit.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I barely touched the game and I have no problems with rolls yet. I think a lot of players here are still stuck with a casual mindset and have trouble transitioning and learning to read/react and punish.

Rolls were a much bigger problem in Brawl and even then they weren't way abusable at competitive levels.

If you seem to never be able to punish rolls fast enough, then you should also change up your attack pattern. You shouldn't ALWAYS be trying to throw out an attack or doing stuff, sometimes you want to just move around a bit and anticipate your opponent's next move instead, so you leave yourself time to punish when you see your opponent trying to roll, approach, etc. Also keep in mind you don't always have to use a smash attack or something super strong to punish rolls, sometimes a basic jab combo works wonders because they come out quickly and you're not betting everything on a single hit.
Definitely I find myself doing empty movement a lot more now than I did before, even when I was playing Brawl (casually of course, was never a competitive player at Brawl). And yeah, jab combos are great for punishing rolls if the opponent is doing stupid things like empty forward rolls behind you, or if you're dashing and predict the opponent to roll behind you, you can throw a pivot-cancelled FTilt at them if your character has decent range on their FTilt.

Last edited:

Sliq

Smash Master
I agree that rolling is ridiculously good, but the thing you have to remember is that rolling cause no damage and knockback.

They can't roll around like ***holes the whole match and win, they'll have to attack eventually. So don't react to the roll, react to the follow up.

Last edited:

Darkman.exe213

Smash Apprentice
Forgot to mention, in terms of rolling back, maybe it can be hard to punish if you're playing a slow character (because I can guarantee you Sheik has no problem with it :p) but you also have to keep in mind they can't roll back forever, sooner or later they're going to reach a ledge and put themselves in a bad position. That's when you punish them.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Untouch said:
I mean everyone has a different roll lol, they aren't universally 1 frame less than rolls were in Brawl. I don't know where you heard that, and I'm completely skeptical of any statement like that.

mountain_tiger said:
Rolls that cross her up, yeah, you can rest them on expectation, but no, you can't rest back rolls away from you. Some of them maybe, but Little Mac for instance, you do not have the speed to catch up to him if he's rolling away.

Darkman.exe213 said:
Forgot to mention, in terms of rolling back, maybe it can be hard to punish if you're playing a slow character (because I can guarantee you Sheik has no problem with it :p) but you also have to keep in mind they can't roll back forever, sooner or later they're going to reach a ledge and put themselves in a bad position. That's when you punish them.
Absolutely. The problem is, with most characters, (some characters with fast ground speeds and good dash attacks, like Sheik and Little Mac have real punishes) that's the best you can do. They have an escape-pressure-at-any-moment-that-they're-grounded- option, and your compensation is that you might get a bit more stage control.

Sliq said:
I agree that rolling is ridiculously good, but the thing you have to remember is that rolling cause no damage and knockback.

They can't roll around like ***holes the whole match and win, they'll have to attack eventually. So don't react to the roll, react to the follow up.
Totally true, for the most part. It just makes timing out a stronger option after you already have a lead.

mountain_tiger said:
Want to play some games on wifi? My connection is good, most games have very, very little lag. If rolls aren't that great, I'm curious to see how you're dealing with them. I want to test it out against people who are apparently good against it.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
I mean everyone has a different roll lol, they aren't universally 1 frame less than rolls were in Brawl. I don't know where you heard that, and I'm completely skeptical of any statement like that.

Rolls that cross her up, yeah, you can rest them on expectation, but no, you can't rest back rolls away from you. Some of them maybe, but Little Mac for instance, you do not have the speed to catch up to him if he's rolling away.

Absolutely. The problem is, with most characters, (some characters with fast ground speeds and good dash attacks, like Sheik and Little Mac have real punishes) that's the best you can do. They have an escape-pressure-at-any-moment-that-they're-grounded- option, and your compensation is that you might get a bit more stage control.

Totally true, for the most part. It just makes timing out a stronger option after you already have a lead.

Want to play some games on wifi? My connection is good, most games have very, very little lag. If rolls aren't that great, I'm curious to see how you're dealing with them. I want to test it out against people who are apparently good against it.
record that match and upload it please. I wanna see how he deals with said matches haha

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
You don't need to have played smash competitively for ~5 years to come to that conclusion. There are characters with roll speed/distance that beat out some characters' running speed. The fact that rolling can replace running in some situations, and the fact that the invincibility has increased across the board, makes this extremely clear.

Does that make it impossible to punish? **** no.

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
You don't need to have played smash competitively for ~5 years to come to that conclusion. There are characters with roll speed/distance that beat out some characters' running speed. The fact that rolling can replace running in some situations, and the fact that the invincibility has increased across the board, makes this extremely clear.

as a Ganondorf main, I can say that some characters are near impossible to punish for anything when rolling.
Some characters, like Little Mac, Greninja and Sheik (if played competently mind you) can literally keep me in the air at all times. I can't punish rolls, smash attacks, specials or anything because I am too slow in movement, attack speed and also lack any ranged moves or any proper dash chase side B (Dark Pit and Pit seem to have super armor on their dash chase side B but the king of evil doesn't? wtf)

once I switch to Sheik or Robin myself, suddenly the game becomes playable.

Last edited:

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Takebacker said:

I never said they were impossible to punish at all, and admitted many instances where it's perfectly normal, I said they were unreasonable to punish. The punishes are weaker, stricter, and in many cases, impossible without a read on both the timing and the roll itself. Brawl's metagame never developing to the point where people could punish Meta Knight's crossup forward roll without a read is an important case study, considering rolls are faster now than his in that game.

As well, that was only one point, enumerating one issue with rolls that's much more common in this game. It definitely isn't the core of the entire argument, and it's a strawman to say my argument was that it's impossible to punish.

Want to play some wifi, punish my rolls some? I generally have a good connection, but you can even have the preemptive wifi-johns.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
As well, that was only one point, enumerating one issue with rolls that's much more common in this game. It definitely isn't the core of the entire argument, and it's a strawman to say my argument was that it's impossible to punish.
Exaggeration =/= strawman though.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I mean it's a complete misrepresentation of what I'm saying lol. Unless you weren't actually responding to me, it's not just an exaggeration of my point.

I can't even tell what you're getting at. What is your opinion on:

"The punishes are weaker, stricter, and in many cases, impossible without a read on both the timing and the roll itself. Brawl's metagame never developing to the point where people could punish Meta Knight's crossup forward roll without a read is an important case study, considering rolls are faster now than his in that game."

and not just that I accused you of strawmanning

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
I mean it's a complete misrepresentation of what I'm saying lol. Unless you weren't actually responding to me, it's not just an exaggeration of my point.

I can't even tell what you're getting at. What is your opinion on:

"The punishes are weaker, stricter, and in many cases, impossible without a read on both the timing and the roll itself. Brawl's metagame never developing to the point where people could punish Meta Knight's crossup forward roll without a read is an important case study, considering rolls are faster now than his in that game."

and not just that I accused you of strawmanning
cat's got his tongue.
Bowser seems to have used side B on that ***** hahahahaha
I think that rolling is unreasonable to punish now.
A nerf would be welcome

RedEyesKirby

Smash Rookie
I agree with the topic. Roll is too safe. If roll has the same reward punishment value as dodge. It would make the meta game much better. Right now I see a lot of whiff rolls go unpunished especially with little mac and shiek. I literally would hold down smash see the character roll in my face and let go and they'd still somehow be able to shield.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Rolls are just dumb for characters that can't kill with a dash attack type of move.

Ganondorf got his dash attack and side B nerfed (i cant imagine why) and wizkick does not kill with the late hitbox.

Megaman is a bit bad at killing out of rolls. His Fsmash looked like it would be the trick, but its just too slow.

Alot of characters do have a very commited kill move with the range to punish though. The problem is that often, that move is still too slow to punish someone who rolled then shielded.

Hopefully on Wii U, with more technical dash cancels, we can have some universal options to put a stop to that problem.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
I think it comes down to counter picking, characters with fast rolls like Little Mac and Shiek are easy pickings for characters with a tether grab like Link or less effectively ZSS.

Darkman.exe213

Smash Apprentice
Megaman is a bit bad at killing out of rolls. His Fsmash looked like it would be the trick, but its just too slow.
Megaman has a really good dash attack for punishing rolls. You can approach with his nair too. Again it's not a matter of killing out of rolls all the time, it's about pressuring out the opponent so they don't keep doing them. Getting those small hits also helps you set up for easier kills too.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Along with rolls, neutral getup from ledge (pressing forward) seems literally impossible to punish, even with sticking out active, multi-hitting moves. Is there any reason not to just neutral getup from ledge?

DarkDream

Smash Apprentice
I personally feel that the petite who don't have problems with the roll either never experienced someone who utilized them to the full extent of their effectiveness or uses a character that just does well against rolls.

And guys stop suggesting to just switch characters. That ain't cool. It's way too early to be jumping on specific characters, and the mere suggestion just overall shortens the roster. When the game first came out I saw variety online. Now all I see is little Mac.

Last edited:

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
"Keep rollin rollin rollin rollin"

Magicrider

Smash Rookie
Oh, thanks. When I created a thread for rolls, I got some messages like "stop playing against CPUs" but come on, rolls are way too safe. Yeah, I agrée, they're ont unpunishable but they are in réaction.. They go way too far, they crossup like 1/2 and they are faster than ever. I'm really curious about the frame data of some rolls; you just can't deal with some of them.. And even if you can punish, what can you do ? Oh, f-tilt, Nice, 10% damage and he was able to go away from the pressure. I really feel like it can be pretty much gamebreaker if overused..

DarkDream

Smash Apprentice
Update on this: just played against a little Mac as MegaMan. His strategy was dash punch, and back roll forward smash. I could not punish a whiffed or a blocked back roll forward smash. There was nothing I could do. If I went for forward smash he was out of range. Slide, he was out of range. Ftilt he had armor and dash punched after the roll. Fair, armor on the f smash. Dash and grab was out of range. Run and grab got caught by the f smash. Metal blades got dash and punched. Side b got shielded. Top spin got beat by armor.

The two matches that were fought was nothing but that. Combine little Macs roll with armor and this is what happens.

Top Bottom