• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
How do you play ROB in doubles. I can hold my self fine in singles but fail to accomplish much in doubles. Any general strategies?
Don't focus so much on following up on things. If you hit someone once or twice, let them fly away and then focus on helping your teammate.

Also, go for gimps. When your opponent knocks someone off the stage, as long as you see it coming you have an opportunity to gimp them. So when they get that grab, be prepared and fly off the stage to edgeguard that opponent at low %.

You should try to use your u-air as often as possible. It deals a lot of damage, is very safe, and can be followed up with a multitude of things.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
NACKKKER is ****** at CH3
TOASTYYY did better ^_^ [barely. I don't know if the players I beat were better than the ones you beat, but I was knocked out by PC Chris and Plank. **** you for playing Plank all the time because I don't know how to beat him and he knows how to destroy ROB :(]

Where the robs at?
17th =D

D

Deleted member

OS, i have tons of trouble with my yoshi beating defensive robs. Not really campy, just wait for me to approach and then lots of shield grabbing my bairs. I know the key is juggling, but starting the juggle is difficult, and one grab from rob and i get fthowed which puts yoshi in a very bad position =/

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS, i have tons of trouble with my yoshi beating defensive robs. Not really campy, just wait for me to approach and then lots of shield grabbing my bairs. I know the key is juggling, but starting the juggle is difficult, and one grab from rob and i get fthowed which puts yoshi in a very bad position =/
Full hop bair THROUGH ROB's shield and then he shouldn't be able to grab you since you are above and behind him. You can then nair if need be. It's about spacing to where you can't be grabbed OOS.

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
TOASTYYY did better ^_^ [barely. I don't know if the players I beat were better than the ones you beat, but I was knocked out by PC Chris and Plank. **** you for playing Plank all the time because I don't know how to beat him and he knows how to destroy ROB :(]

17th =D
LOL i can kill his MK its pretty even but when he switches to wario he always gets that fart bull**** and or Fsmash **** and kills me >.> .H e was telling me how he would go wario against my rob and i was like wow im going to catch a break then he beat me like 3 times in a row xD .

Edit: i squandered and picked mario and MK against D1 and Chu ..... his kirby is tooo good lol

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Toon Link, Samus or ZZS are using tether recovery on Final Destination/Battlefield/Smashville. I'm dashing towards the edge wanting to spike them. Do I run off and D-air, run off and B-air hoping for a stage-spike or stay on the stage and stop being so cocky? Psy.

null55

Smash Master
Toon Link, Samus or ZZS are using tether recovery on Final Destination/Battlefield/Smashville. I'm dashing towards the edge wanting to spike them. Do I run off and D-air, run off and B-air hoping for a stage-spike or stay on the stage and stop being so cocky? Psy.
Kinda depends on the percent for stage spiking, but dairing tetherers is pretty easy.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Stay on the stage. It's generally a better option.

If you can, running off and nairing or bairing can work... but it is unlikely unless you have just the right timing.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
OS just because u always do the most passive thing doesnt mean its the best thing. from watching ur vids i honestly think nacker is a better rob, even though its obviously hard from videos to tell. you dont do anything impressive and you camp even when you're losing, you don't know how to approach. it seems like the people you fight just get impatient and come to you. that wont happen here, the timer will run out :D

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS just because u always do the most passive thing doesnt mean its the best thing. from watching ur vids i honestly think nacker is a better rob, even though its obviously hard from videos to tell. you dont do anything impressive and you camp even when you're losing, you don't know how to approach. it seems like the people you fight just get impatient and come to you. that wont happen here, the timer will run out :D
I know how to approach; more importantly, I know when I don't need to. The timer running out wouldn't surprise me... Has happened here a couple of times already ^_^

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Haha is plank seriously complaining about someone else's playstyle? You saw it here first folks

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Cut him a little bit of slack. The entire EC linked to my Overswarm vs. Jiano vid on Jungle Japes simply because of my playstyle, I'm an exception.

Sudai

Stuff here
Rolling and throwing an item at the same time resulting in a free-standing "glide" type motion.

ROB's is long, so the best time to use it is as a rapid approach or as a rapid retreat.

NilliX

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, Sudai. I've given it some practice and it's fairly efficiant now.

Is it possible to roll backwards, during a retreat, and throw the Gyro/item in the other direction towards the opponent? I thought it might just take some quick use of the control stick but after trying it seems that I can only throw it in the direction i'm travelling.

*EDIT* - Remembered that you can throw with the C-stick. Awesome.

Unrelated question. Mapping grab to Y - any use for R.O.B?

Sudai

Stuff here
It's personal preference. Why have grab at Y though? Grab at Z means you get to use a different finger for grab which means you can get to it faster.

NilliX

Smash Apprentice
Good point. I just overheard my mate saying he'd re-mapped his Grab to Y, but then again he's a D3 main. So it's effective for chain-grabs, apparently.

R.O.B dittos, what's the stategy for them?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I love ROB dittos.

You have to know what moves beat what. Fair and bair both beat a forward facing nair for instance, but you have to be careful if they nair facing away from you. You also have to anticipate what moves they're gonna use in certain situations, but I guess that applies to every matchup. It's just easier for ROB dittos since you should know ROB's options better than anyone else's.

Bait the nair, shieldgrab the fair, etc.

Another little tip, a lot of ROBs like to ledgecamp, but ROB also happens to be very good at stopping ledgecamping with the gyro. However, in this particular matchup, you don't want to sit a gyro on the edge, because ROBs also like to grab them and use your own gyro against you. The best thing to do is fire a weak gyro so that it just drops off the edge. This will make it much harder to grab, and it will force them to do something other than just sitting there. Not to mention it's perfectly safe for you, so even if they don't get hit or put themselves in a bad position, you can keep doing it.

Also, if you guys are just shooting each other from across the stage, laser always beats gyro, pushes it back in fact. Don't bother with side-B unless you can anticipate well ahead of time, and even then it's unlikely any of their reflected projectiles will hit them.

Get good at grabbing enemy gyros, very important.

toasty

Smash Hero
don't play against Nackers or JCaesar and you have a good chance of winning ;____;

Since NO one I play uses him, I have very limited understanding of what ROBs do. I usually play on instinct unless there's a specific style for a specific matchup. Thus, I'm not quite sure what I do :( For real, in Melee I was one of the better Ness players and a good player who barely uses Ness could use Ness in a ditto and DESTROY me. It's happened, too :( :( :(

Tip: get your friends to play endless ROB dittos haha

JCaez: I will post those dittos to google video as a couple large files since there are a LOT and I don't have the time to watch all of them and decide which ones I get ***** the least in. And I can't just post the ones I win haha =D

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I also hate ROB dittos :(

I'm not necessarily bad at them... I just hate them.

chckn

Smash Ace
It really is just practice. Alot of ROB mainers lack practice against competitive ROBs so they choke in dittos. At least for me, I use GW just for ROB dittos, against other GW, and against MK

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Ya'll just need Nacker training.

toasty: Just the ones you won? That's like, what, 3 or 4 out of the 20 or so we played? haha j/k

toasty

Smash Hero
*cries*
why JCaesar...why would you do that???

I'm going to force the old amazing ROB main near me to pick up the **** sticks again so i won't lose to YOU again...sheeeeit

also: we need to do more double G&W in Melee teams! haha, **** was toooo good.

EDIT: daaaayummmm Chozen, now I regret not playing you before you left CH3 [though, I had NO idea you were leaving...so YOU ****ed up and didn't play ME "sir" haha]
NEXT TIIIIMEEEE

Top Bottom