• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
ROB powerrankings would be silly.. and we already know who the top ROB players in the US are.. i refuse to rate them [though i do have my own ideas of who is the best] but it could be done.

[in no order]

ec- nacker, karn, owm, chozen, toasty, jcaesar, chibo.

mw- os, kishprime?

wc- hugs, shadow, [i am NOT putting t0mmy on here]

without a doubt those are the most notorious ROBs in the country.. then going by pure touney placings.. [regions aside]

OS, HugS, Nacker, Shadow, Chibo, Toasty, OWM

and actual skill level based on competition.. well Chozen is going to bite his tongue on this one...

noodles

Smash Champion
maybe if i was more known id be on that list >_>. i dont place well in tournies but ive beaten chibo in tourny play (extremely close matches). in that tourny i place 33rd. but i was up against cort my second match, then knocked out by HBK. i think chibo placed 5th there though im not sure.

lord karn

Smash Master
ROB powerrankings would be silly.. and we already know who the top ROB players in the US are.. i refuse to rate them [though i do have my own ideas of who is the best] but it could be done.

[in no order]

ec- nacker, karn, owm, chozen, toasty, jcaesar, chibo.

mw- os, kishprime?

wc- hugs, shadow, [i am NOT putting t0mmy on here]

without a doubt those are the most notorious ROBs in the country.. then going by pure touney placings.. [regions aside]

OS, HugS, Nacker, Shadow, Chibo, Toasty, OWM

and actual skill level based on competition.. well Chozen is going to bite his tongue on this one...
Actually, CH3 was the first tourney where I placed badly. I placed same or better than Nacker at the 3 C3s I've been to.

Sudai

Stuff here
Sudai and Manko for South! But no one cares about South. : (

Manko, we need to get together and go show these *****es what da fux up. Who cares if we get our ***** beat badly??

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm the only ROB in the midwest, really.... KirkQ is coming up, but I haven't seen him in top 5 at tournaments yet.

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
I live in the midwest and main our robotic overlord but im not very good
Even though you haven't been to a tourney yet, I'd still say that you can state that you're amazing, I've faced you enough to know that. I haven't been to a tourney either, but...

J SQUARED WILL DESTROY YOU ALL!!!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Even though you haven't been to a tourney yet, I'd still say that you can state that you're amazing, I've faced you enough to know that. I haven't been to a tourney either, but...

J SQUARED WILL DESTROY YOU ALL!!!
Please take a screen shot of you saying this, then come back after 4 years of competitive smash.

You'll get a good laugh, trust me.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
ok back on subject. Falcos. i have a hard time approaching, cant really camp that well those lasers are too darn fast, even if i do begin to shorthop or full hop my projectiles, they'll get the hang of it after a while.
once theyre offstage, killing them is easy. for me, by the time i get them off stage, im already behind a stock or two.

basically, my groundgame against falcos is cruddy. i just need help gettin around those lasers so i can get that gay space animals and into the air

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I believe you're looking for the match-up thread which has kinda died off right now, but this topic no longer has a regular subject so hey whatever.

After a solid, oh, three-hour jam session against a Falco played by probably the best player *I* correspond with regularly, I feel like reprising my impressions of this match-up. :p

Ledgehopping projectiles is too telegraphed and easily defended by the reflector or you simply risk getting hit by blaster fire before your projectile comes out, so there's no incentive for Falco to approach ROB on the ledge unless you're ahead with time low. Ledgecamp ONLY with the lead.

Ipitydatfu... I found double jumping an okay approach from long ranges. You avoid Blaster fire by sticking high and Falco can't really take advantage of ROB's blind spot so you're not too vulnerable. Beyond that, only other advice I have is to SHAD a lot. :/ Once you're close enough to get him to stop spamming, it gets much easier since the Reflector is stupidly punishable on miss and ROB otherwise destroys Falco up close. If he insists on firing even in close range, just eat the 2% laser and tilt him in the face for 10% afterward.

Side-B isn't even good at shield poking because it can be grabbed straight out of the no-stun strings. Piece of garbage. :(

Don't get cute if Falco grabs you at low damage, DI back and double jump (or Up-B) to avoid the DThrow chain. Attempts to FAir (or AD) will get you spiked or regrabbed like any other character, just jump out and try again.

Flat-out gimping Falco is surprisingly difficult against a non-bad opponent who doesn't double-jump straight into FAirs. Don't jump OUT at Falco or he'll probably land on-stage safely behind you. Stay grounded to punish attempts to stage land and stand right on the edge so you can walkoff FAir and/or have max range on FTilt. FAir gimps better but it's more risky in allowing Falco back on-stage, you get spiked if you're too slow but let him over your head if you commit early. Since he can't do **** on the ledge anyway and ROB can just keep him there all day until you either CAN carry him out or pop him your chubby (laser *ahem*), I don't mind letting him have it. *shrug*

The most pro thing you can do is lob a gyro over the shine. $$

That totally deserved its own line. At any rate, the Gyro is good bait at long range. You don't really want to fire it at Falco or he'll just throw it back in your face, just land it in front of him to bait a Reflector for you to punish as you approach. If he doesn't bite, then you can pick it up. Just don't throw it forward if you glide toss...

Mansion is the best stage CP against Falco, period. You can time the laser between shines and his Blaster is useless there, so he has no choice but to approach you STANDING AT THE EDGE. You can't do any better than that. Other stages I liked include Norfair, Halberd/Delfino, and Rainbow Cruise. Norfair completely kills his Blaster spam and you can camp under him all day with UTilt and UAir. Halberd and Delfino allow you to come under and assault him with nigh unpunishable rising UAirs. Rainbow Cruise forces Falco into the air frequently where ROB beats him soundly, uneven terrain to protect from Blaster spam and gives you the DTilt infinite on the ship. Skyworld probably works well too, but I don't usually play on it so iono...

Yoshi's Island, despite being small, is kinda meh. Falco can walljump the side of the stage and camping the ledge is useless because there's no lip to abuse UAir. FD is just too big, giving him the best chance of playing keepaway and racking up steady damage with the Blaster. PictoChat combines the flat size of FD with the no-lip of YI. ;[ The chainthrow DOES work on upward slopes, such as on Distant Planet or "Pipes," both of which you'll want to avoid anyway due to lack of gimping on those stages.

Oh, and I played him on Big Blue once. I lost by landing on the road and tripping before I jumped off. -_-

To avoid being edgeguarded, simply fully charge a gyro and shoot it across the stage so that it lands near the other edge. Then, go underneath the stage and onto the ledge.
Oh it works alright. Listen to this man!

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Only if your fuel is drained or you're at something like 150%. :/ Don't stall down there, just ledgedrop and go after them so if you are spiked you have fuel to recover. The speed at which you rise and the range of UAir makes it a sketchy proposition still, but if it really worries you then rise with NAir or space to the side and FAir instead. NAir is disjointed so it's 100% safe, I just prefer UAir because the hitbox lingers up top longer and it's still difficult to punish (though not impossible). Better risk-reward, if you will.

Rising NAir is a good way to bully yourself onto Norfair's bottom platform too since it's pretty small and he can't space you with lasers there at all. Then win King of the Hill (more like valley) with your superior short-range game and camp under him all day.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Short Hop Air Dodge. It's what happens when you forget that they took wavedashing out of brawl.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Actually, in Melee a short hop air dodge was generally called a triangle jump; the purpose was to jump forward for momentum, air dodge for invincibility, and DI towards your opponent so you made a kind of triangle formation, the bottom line being the floor beneath you. Characters with fast attacks (especially those that can be easily buffered) benefit from this in Brawl a lot. Especially Bowser! Triangle jump to up+b or jab is 222 good.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
It's not really a triangle jump any more, though, because you can't angle yourself into the ground with your air dodge. ;( More like a semicircle...

lol you don't need to approach MK

Overswarm

is laughing at you
lol... ROB mains should take the old Indian ritual.

Some tribe used to sneak into an enemy camp, hit one of them with a stick, then run back home. That was part of their "manhood" ritual. We should have ROB players hit someone with a controller then go home, then they get a circuit tattoo.

Top Bottom