• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
so whats your opinion on those no "brand" gamecube controllers sold at ebay?

i really wanted to have a friendly with NOJ today, but never got a chance to ask him so T_T. i wanted to find out how hard good G&W are.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
so whats your opinion on those no "brand" gamecube controllers sold at ebay?

i really wanted to have a friendly with NOJ today, but never got a chance to ask him so T_T. i wanted to find out how hard good G&W are.
Dude, just MM him. Say "MM $1?" and he'll quit out of the middle of his game and play you.

You could also say "I heard Overswarm trashes you in tournament" and he'll go nuts and start talking to you, and then you can ask him to play you. We haven't played since like, early April, but he's probably the hardest opponent I've had.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
Dude, just MM him. Say "MM $1?" and he'll quit out of the middle of his game and play you.

You could also say "I heard Overswarm trashes you in tournament" and he'll go nuts and start talking to you, and then you can ask him to play you. We haven't played since like, early April, but he's probably the hardest opponent I've had.
my double friendlies with him went horribly, the best thing i did against him was reverse upB bair edgeguard for a kill, and spiked his teammate. with my gimped controller, my neutral B's were registered as side B's. but my friend's DDD kept the match close.

i didnt get participate in singles (sorry guys), well this is my first tourney and i really liked the experience, i will definitely come back for seconds once i get a new controller, and somehow to get my friends to join me in the action. I will definitely get some matches with NOJ if he comes back to Florida.

P.S. teaming with DDD is really hard. but thats what i get for not practicing for the tourney XD.

I'mThinkingArby's

Smash Rookie
Alright guys, so I was just at a tournament where you have to pick your character before the tournament and stick with him for the entire duration. I chose my main, ROB. The problem is whenever I play a Zelda, no matter how bad the Zelda may be, I lose. I can't get past the Din's Fire, and most of the time I can't WOP like I can on others. How does a ROB beat a spamming Zelda?

I'mThinkingArby's

Smash Rookie
I tried it, but it only has a short window of time when it reflects, and a Zelda can just detonate it before or after that window. Either that or I couldn't time it properly against the Zelda in the tournament.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
why would you want it reflected anyway? not like it's going to be anywhere near Zelda to hit her.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You couldn't time it properly. You can also air dodge, which is pretty easy to do. Just pay attention; she can't harm you with anything other than Din's fire while it is out because she's in the animation. It's like fighting against a stage hazard with no opponents.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Just shoot her *** with the laser, you should be able to hit her with it from almost anywhere unless she's aiming at your very high recovery. :/ In that case you can fall through it and air dodge, a late detonation won't be in range.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It's painfully easy to airdodge din's fire, I don't know why it's even an issue. Just don't get caught in your up-B. Always cancel it with fairs and bairs.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
I'm kind of convinced that the ROB boards don't have to face extremely good Olimars..or at least Olis who are good against ROB (except Karn, but NC Echo is very very different from Whodat)...I can't believe I will have to rely on Marth against Whodat :(

Toon Link still gives me problems......gahhh I suck :(

I'll report back after next week's tourney

game_tip

Smash Cadet
watch the range of Olimar's attacks
Only thing he has on you is that throw! The pikmin on your body can easily be knocked up with a Fair

Otherwise it's all in favor for ROB! Throw that GYRO!

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
that seemed to be the only thing I didn't do: weaken his shield...but even then in the process I eat ******** dmg...though Whodat later told me "how to beat Olimar"...seems to simply be an abuse of the Olimar's grap-interruption-property [as a reminder: as the Pikmin pulls you, if you were doing an attack, the attack still comes out and can hit Olimar out of the grab]...but that sounds like a ******** strategy...so ********...IT MIGHT JUST WORK!

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have a question. What do you do against a really good Gameandwatch?
Play really defensive, when he is turtling don't let go of your sheild until the turtle is gone or you'll get hit by the last hitbox. Try and avoid getting above him, if the GW is good they'll combo you with nair into up-air and you'll be off the edge. If you're recovering high, make sure it's off the top of the screen, otherwise they'll up-b into you and send you back out. Nothing you have can hit him out of his up-b if he is below you. If recovering low, take advantage of the fact that your up-b will auto-lock to the edge, even if the GW is down-tilting. Use your glide toss to approach, glide-toss into grabs is great. There's really no good way to edgeguard GW if they're smart, so take the time to charge your gyro if you can.

Counterpicking Lylat makes their recovery difficult because of the stage and unless they're careful they can get stuck underneath it. Try to avoid playing them on Battlefield, that stage is too good fo GW. The platforms are great for him so avoid it if you can. Frigate is another good counter stage. Keep the GW on the right side of the first transformation and it's a bit easier to get kills.

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
Roll behind him when he starts to do his back air approach. That will help you in so many ways your eye ******* are exploding right now. If you time it right you sir just dodged some grade A bull**** and you get a free ftilt , gyro , laser or w.e move will reach . You can totally thank me for that later when it works.

10knackers

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The roll behind him thing is amazing and I agree with Nacker on this.

Also, this thread is amazing and I have a zillion views and posts in my honor here

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Quick question, is it impossible or just extremely hard to perform the 'hugging' technique with R.O.B. because edgeguarding is like ecstacy when you have a laser, a hot F-air and a spike but when you can edgehog instead, you feel your right thumb deserves a good rest. Psy.

Sudai

Stuff here
It is possible with ROB. The timing is just kind of funky compared to characters like MK who have a ******** hug.

The best way to do it is by rolling your thumb from right to down to left or vice versa depending on witch way you're going. This will make you fast fall and grab so it goes really fast.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Whenever something is hard to do, I just say "man up and do it". I can hug with Bowser and was able to hug with ROB on my first actual game, so you can do it after some practice for sure. Just find what works for you.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Whenever something is hard to do, I just say "man up and do it". I can hug with Bowser and was able to hug with ROB on my first actual game, so you can do it after some practice for sure. Just find what works for you.
nothing in brawl is hard to do

Top Bottom