• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Try impossible to gimp.

Your best bet is to just play it safe and work on racking up damage until you can get a u-air or f-smash kill.

Unfortunately, your u-air and f-smash are your two best attacks in two very common situations. When ROB is above you, you want to u-air, and when you land in front of ROB you want to f-smash for your super armor. Get off dairs when you cna, and be aware of when your moves are getting stale.

jobcrackerbah

Smash Rookie
I was wondering how rob players carry momentum at a 45 degree angle upwards and throw another attack after using n air, f air, or up air. Used for edge guarding mainly. Is it jus up b after initial attack or using up b before atk? Thanks for the peach info you gave me. It was a no dir but thought u might know the ultimate strategy Xp.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
How to get back to the stage no matter what

ROB is edgeguarded near the stage pretty easily. Scary, but true. If he can't grab the ledge, he's VERY open from below. This puts him in a bad position that most ROB players want to avoid.

To avoid being edgeguarded, simply fully charge a gyro and shoot it across the stage so that it lands near the other edge. Then, go underneath the stage and onto the ledge.

The same thing can be done on Luigi's mansion simply by shooting a gyro into the pillar; it bounces off and sits in front of the ledge.

It can be possible to simply place a gyro in front of the ledge you are going for, but it is much more liekly to be shielded.

Nothing is more infuriating to your opponent than you shooting a gyro across the stage, obviously missing him, and he doesn't realize you did it on purpose until he's dashed across the stage to follow you only to be hit two or three times by a spinning gyro.

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
Yea im pretty sure theres going to be like 10-15 Rob mains there and i must defeat them all and place higher than them(sounds hella cocky but a goal is a goal) . Im looking forward to some dittos i play these guys down here to much i need some OOS talent.

noodles

Smash Champion
lol im like the only
rob main in ct >_<. youll see like 30 snakes and maybe a metaknight or two.
theres OWM around here though. but yea looking forward to matches

Overswarm

is laughing at you
?!

30 snakes?

when is this

I couldn't win because there would be too many ROB dittos though :(

Hate those things. I heard Nacker was good at them though, so maybe he can show me a thing or two about them XD

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
OH **** OS you comming to this ?? lol Snakes are so easy for me now well not easy but 1 stock low % against the ones i usually play cept greg he makes it to close but besides that i own them . Sorry people i will refuse to play anywhwere near a rob main because they will learn my style lol finally we can settle who best rob is well except for Hugs maxx and solo .

10knackers
^----that guys pro sauce

Overswarm

is laughing at you
We could maybe decide who is best at ROB dittos save for the west coast, but not really "who is the best ROB" in concrete terms...

We need to get all the ROBs together to have a round robin against some really good collection of other character mains. Have a D3, a MK, a Snake, a G&W, etc., etc., and then see how we all do.

It depends on when it is and if I can get people to go with me, but it'd be nice to go.

Hey_Its_Nacker

Smash Lord
yea dittos are good and all but only shows your better at the matchup . Cant wait to see the tournament results for this though Snake and robs xD well not if those Gdubs and Mks get in the way . Also get down here for this shizz it would be a true ROB fest with you lol

Overswarm

is laughing at you
It'd be amazing for all the snake players to get destroyed by all the ROBs infesting the tournament.

Plus, ROB vs. MK is my favorite matchup so I'd be good to go except for ROB dittos XD

But I got me some secondaries, so whatever

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
the dittos with JCaesar that I had made me look like I'm just a horrible ROB player...somehow it effected me so bad mentally that I wasn't even doing what I normally would...like, I would land a dash attack..................and then do nothing. no follow up. but that's one small example of many. I'm really bad against ROB :(

there was one cool thing that I did to JCaes that made him say "wtf?? MD ROBs don't do that!"
under 50%, the pummel-grab-release-dtilt-regrab can work.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I wasn't ready dammit

But really, the best way to win ROB dittos, and trust me on this one, is Nacker training!

toasty

Smash Hero
1) how is this not stickied yet?
2) I looked at my match vs. PC to see just how stale the nair was at the end. These are all the attacks I actually hit him with during my last stock, in this order:

nair- 11%, this one and the last nair are the only %s I looked at...
dtilt
nair
laser
nair
fair
fthrow
dsmash
gyro
laser
fthrow
laser
bthrow
nair
throw
jab
fair
laser
laser
laser
nair - 10%

now...here's the question: was it actually too stale to kill him? or does he just have amazing DI?

chckn

Smash Ace
1) how is this not stickied yet?
2) I looked at my match vs. PC to see just how stale the nair was at the end. These are all the attacks I actually hit him with during my last stock, in this order:

nair- 11%, this one and the last nair are the only %s I looked at...
dtilt
nair
laser
nair
fair
fthrow
dsmash
gyro
laser
fthrow
laser
bthrow
nair
throw
jab
fair
laser
laser
laser
nair - 10%

now...here's the question: was it actually too stale to kill him? or does he just have amazing DI?
toasty post the link for the vid

Overswarm

is laughing at you
hmmmmm........ i dunno o_O

We don't really know how stale moves work yet. I still think there is more to learn. I'm wondering if the "max effeciency" of the move is slowly lowered each time you use it as well. The first attack always seems to be the most powerful. When you spawn and hit your opponent, you launch him hardcore.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
hmmmmm........ i dunno o_O

We don't really know how stale moves work yet. I still think there is more to learn. I'm wondering if the "max effeciency" of the move is slowly lowered each time you use it as well. The first attack always seems to be the most powerful. When you spawn and hit your opponent, you launch him hardcore.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
i got wrecked by mk's at the tourney i went to, my only losses pretty much (besides a rob ditto, urgh).

where should i look for advice (in this thread or others)? 20% tornado to upb+glide attack with no end lag was hard to punish with my mostly slow aerials =/.

toasty

Smash Hero
We don't really know how stale moves work yet.
hah, I'm so spoiled by coming into Melee so late that there were few things you could think of that might not have an answer. Every other crazy *** thing [esp concerning DI] was researched/explained in depth with intense frame data...

but I pretty much expected that. You might be on to something though....wonder if it's just PC's DI skills. then again, that same day I survived a G&W fsmash at 150 from the middle of Smashville and whether I spot dodged the initial hit or not escapes my memory. He did NOT, however, use this move once before during that stock. If he did, it was very very early on. And though I changed my DI throughout the knockback period, I have no idea how I survived. **** was in tournament too! [in pools vs. some guy named Steck? iunno]

ACTUALLY that brings me to something horribly annoying about G&W. It was probably due to my lack of experience initially. Either way, be on the lookout for this scrubby faux-advanced tactic. This is how Steck approached me (The ENTIRE match.).
*match starts*
G&W does upB and floats down on parachute waiting for me to move and then chooses his aerial accordingly.

He never ONCE approached me from the ground. I still 2-0ed him so it's okay, but STILL wtf?!?!

toasty post the link for the vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM3V7eI_GBM

EDIT: ROB power rankings are tough to do. There's only so much that can be said about tournament results (or dittos for that matter).

Honestly: I feel that Nackers and Karn are better ROBs than I am and yet I placed a good deal higher in a MAJOR East Coast tournament. ****, I placed higher than G-Reg and I'm sure a ton of other good players who are, by many standards, better than me. IMO, anyway.

And then you have speculation from random people through vids, opinions that are usually biased, and observations from other players you've fought (usually a more weighted measure than others).

Example [and I'll leave real names out]:
James came to Critical Hit from out of state. He places top 5 in his region all the time, and this is a HUGELY competitive state. Massively. We played a bunch. Some ROB player was talking to James about the region he's from and then mentioned Henry, a very well known ROB "great" from a nearby region. James says "pfff...I mean...Henry's alriiiight...but *points to me* he's way better." the ROB player is like ".........toasty?! really?" and James says "oh, most definitely!"

****'s tough.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
yea dittos are good and all but only shows your better at the matchup . Cant wait to see the tournament results for this though Snake and robs xD well not if those Gdubs and Mks get in the way . Also get down here for this shizz it would be a true ROB fest with you lol
So glad I'll never lose to a GW that isn't Blackmage.

Snake is madd eazy, and MK is kinda tough but do-able.

But yeah, esticle will be tizzight. Can't wait to play the other ROBOT mains.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, blackmage mentioned that he played you. You're probably better than me anyway, but who knows, maybe we can learn from each other. ;)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
AiB makes me lawl. It's a website devoted to the same community that already goes to smashboards... all it does is divide things; even if you go there, you just see the same people from smashboards! It was fine when smashboards was crashboards, but that is over and done with :p

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
You know, it could have been a great resource for the community if they actually had a good tournament search engine... but they don't. So it's pretty lame.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Remember when there were only 2 smash communities, smashboards and gamefaqs? And the friendly rivalries even though everyone knew smashboards was superior? Ahh, I miss the good ole days...

Top Bottom