• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Road to Apex: Phoenix Saga: Part 6

Xatic

Smash Lord
@Ori: Bdubs ALWAYS

Also, I've always been neutral on the MK ban, so whether he's banned or not will not affect me in the least. I do however feel that SOMETHING needs to be changed whether it be stages, banning mk in teams, etc.

Kel

Smash Master
But you're banning the character to cater to people that dont play the game anyway. OS was the flagship pro-ban person, but he wont play regardless of ban. Why are we doing what he wants when he doesn't play?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I'm just unsure of a few things right now. Apex changed my views on so much. For now things stay the way there are. Well the stagelist will be normal (that will be edited as well) if MK stays banned. I figure I may just keep things the way they are but keep discussing stuff with the URC for the future. For now assume we're using regular Unity 2.0 post ban ruleset with $10 entry.

ZTD | TECHnology

I have thinking to do I suppose. At the same time though, I'll do what I feel is best. And if people disgaree that's cool. I cannot please everyone. I do/will cater to my people in MI first though. I do also want us to improve too. So I may have to compromise as well. I'll consult a few people and then make my final decision.

I'm referring to everything not just the entry.

LOE1

Smash Lord
$5 entry
i want my money, even though im gonna win dubz and get 1st seat in pools
:yeahboi:

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
I'm just unsure of a few things right now. Apex changed my views on so much. For now things stay the way there are. Well the stagelist will be normal (that will be edited as well) if MK stays banned. I figure I may just keep things the way they are but keep discussing stuff with the URC for the future. For now assume we're using regular Unity 2.0 post ban ruleset with $10 entry.
I think this would be a great time to test the 2 stage ban system. Keep MK ban two stages suddenly MK cant take everyone to Rainbow Cruise or Brinstar or Delphino depending on stage list

Roller

Smash Legend
2 stage bans is dumb, just use the ****ing japanese list. Clearly you can get good as **** with just about any viable character by using it...

The hell is the point of these BS gimmicky counterpicks anyway? Makes the game less pvp, and more pvpvc.

If the Japanese changed your mind and impressed you, Tech. Why not just practice/play the way that they do? Who the hell needs ****ing Delfino Plaza?

ZTD | TECHnology

:dedede: needs it. Stop trying to take my CPs away *******.

No, but you make a good point. Definitely worth considering. I mean 10 minutes is eh..but I do want to try what they try. Just for once. I'm just debating on doing it NOW or trying to for a later (like my March tournament) event.

Roller

Smash Legend
How is 10 minutes "eh?"

10 minutes is way better than people just running away for 8. Anyone who actually requires the clock to win on anything close to a regular basis is just not that great of a player.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
It's just a matter of time before Brawl stagelists become more conservative.

It took Melee years before people finally had enough with awful stages like Corneria, Green Greens, and Mute City... and nobody has looked back since then.

ZTD | TECHnology

How is 10 minutes "eh?"

10 minutes is way better than people just running away for 8. Anyone who actually requires the clock to win on anything close to a regular basis is just not that great of a player.
10 minutes will not stop me from timing you all out.

But no, I mean I guess it has it ups and its down like a lot of aspects of ruleset alteration. It's something I would try at least once though. Like I said, I have a few things to contemplate before I make a clear cut decision. It will be done by this Saturday at the latest. Just because, I wanna advertise more and I don't want to do so when I am being tentative about certain aspects. Anyway, off to bed.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
I kind of like CPing because it adds a sense of cleverness to the game. Using stage knowledge to your advantage allows for more creative thinking; however, the stage list is kinda crazy (RC, Brinstar, and the like). But I'm down for anything, hype for this :yeahboi:

TOPIX

Smash Apprentice
I have thinking to do I suppose. At the same time though, I'll do what I feel is best. And if people disgaree that's cool. I cannot please everyone. I do/will cater to my people in MI first though. I do also want us to improve too. So I may have to compromise as well. I'll consult a few people and then make my final decision.

I'm referring to everything not just the entry.
Will this be decided in the next...week or so?

LOE1

Smash Lord
How is 10 minutes "eh?"

is that so?
thats kinda what some ice climbers are supposed to do against some mu's
aka :wario:

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
All apex showed was that the japanese went harder then everyone else in their training.

It has never been doubted that if your a better player then your opponent them using MK will not make a difference. The fact everyone says their metagame is so much further is silly they just practiced a lot more. If I went MK against Mikey or roller guess what I still lose its never been doubted because they play smarter then I do and they are on a higher skill level then me.

MK WON APEX and took over half the top 8 spots. The fact our MKs lost to an oli or rob just means our MKs weren't playing as smart.

None of this matters to me because I'm not doing brawl tourneys but the URC should just be disbanded if they can't even stick to their decisions immediatly after they start them or are so influenced by a single tourney.

2 stage bans is good as long as everyone remembers to use them

Kel

Smash Master
The better/ more practiced player still wins on stages like Rainbow and Brinstar. However, I still believe the Japanese ruleset can be a good metagame- even if ICs, Falco, Dedede and Diddy become super stupid better.

I don't like increasing the timer so much. Some people force time outs, and this is just adding two more minutes to the tournament every time they play. Can you guys imagine Blue Rogue with two more minutes, AND two more farts? Two more minutes actually helps Wario's camping game.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
All apex showed was that the japanese went harder then everyone else in their training.

It has never been doubted that if your a better player then your opponent them using MK will not make a difference. The fact everyone says their metagame is so much further is silly they just practiced a lot more. If I went MK against Mikey or roller guess what I still lose its never been doubted because they play smarter then I do and they are on a higher skill level then me.

MK WON APEX and took over half the top 8 spots. The fact our MKs lost to an oli or rob just means our MKs weren't playing as smart.

None of this matters to me because I'm not doing brawl tourneys but the URC should just be disbanded if they can't even stick to their decisions immediatly after they start them or are so influenced by a single tourney.

2 stage bans is good as long as everyone remembers to use them
What is the 2 stage bans rule, I've never heard of it.

Also, idk, if character doesn't matter Roller is just godlike since he beat me in a couple games using *unnamed character* after picking him up 2 days prior. :salt: :salt: :salt: :salt:

If we're in the same pool it's gonna be crazy Roller lol.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
Instead of 1 stage ban when you win you get 2

Givng you the option of getting rid of your two worst stages, their two best stages, or one of each

The main problem I see with it is getting rid of someones 2 best stages may make them weaker on their own cp because they are only used to playing on 2-3 stages

As in Game 1 strikes to SV and I win and ban FD and BF. If my opponent only plays the main neutrals they will feel like they are on a disadvantage wherever they go

ZTD | TECHnology

Updating attendance list.

Also looking like Pittsburgh may come as well. Currently working on NEOH again. Illinois looks likely as well. I have a few more tricks up my sleeve for this one...:)

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I'll do my best to get here again.

I'll also do my best to get Chirp (IL) here. lordhelmet/Chirp meet in grand finals and also win dubz? Hype.

Sparta Kick

Smash Ace
I'm for the 10 minute timer as well. It's like Roller said, more often than not it will make games actually progress faster since they can't look to the timeout for a win. When you see 1 minute left on the clock, what do people do? They run away lmao. When there's 3 minutes left, they still have to fight you.

I'm not really in favor of the Japanese stagelist because there isn't too much wrong with Frigate and Delfino when you can ban one of them, but we might want to try it at some point.

ZTD | TECHnology

I feel like the Japanese stage list is soooo conservative. I'd try it at least once though just to see what would happen. Not my ideal ruleset though. I feel like Delfino and Frigate are fine stages. But either way there's no rush in me trying something new this event or switching everything up because well..I'm not going anywhere lol

Oh:

I still need a teammate. A sexy one.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
I think its less of sin to restrict stages than it is to restrict the usage of a character. However, I also like the diversity our stage list gives us but some stages are pretty one sided in a few matchups and those should be thrown out for sure.

But time for a new topic that attendance is hype

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I wanna go.
I'll see how classes are going...and if parents are okay with me traveling to Michigan (because they were very upset last time I decided to travel from Pittsburgh to Michigan for smash).
Plus, I'm dependent on Pittsburgh at the moment xD

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Put me in as (tentative).

My attendance isn't 100% comfirmed yet.

Looking for a teammate just in case I can make this.

:phone:

Roller

Smash Legend
Apex ruleset is ok with me as well, and I would love it if this tourney used it. But I still want to see us try the Japanese rules at an upcoming tourney.

If this uses Unity tho, can we try one of the other 2 lists for GTS?

Also, I might add that we used a more conservative list for last Phoenix Saga and the tourney was a LOT more hype as a result (imo).

Alsoalso. Hot_ArmS, I accept. $2 :random: vs :snake:

Top Bottom