• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remaking the Smash Bros. series from the ground-up!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I’ll nominate Great Bay as Link’s home stage.
GTBAY-NRML-SSBM.jpg
I‘ll use the same songs
Main Song: Great Bay
Alternate Song: Saria’s Song
Kinda funny that I was going to choose that but went with a new stage not seen before which is better for me.

Edit: Also, I downloaded the Roster Builder thing which I could make a roster for Brawl soon, maybe?
Edit 2: Never mind, I deleted it since extracting files is too much

Last edited:

ShadicMCGS

Smash Apprentice
Kinda funny that I was going to choose that but went with a new stage not seen before which is better for me.

Edit: Also, I downloaded the Roster Builder thing which I could make a roster for Brawl soon, maybe?
Edit 2: Never mind, I deleted it since extracting files is too much
On top of that, you need a image editor like GIMP or Photoshop (mainly the former) to make a roster.

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I've looked over the feedback given regarding stages, and here's what I've decided:

Past Stages: Like ShadicMCGS ShadicMCGS suggested, we should avoid having past stages that have clashing themes with newer stages whenever possible. So deciding which past stages return will most likely come after we've settled on everyone's home stage.

Music: Most of us seem to be in agreement that 2 music tracks per stage is a fair arrangement, so that's what we're going with.

Stage/Fighter/Series Ratio: I went with Pupp135 Pupp135 's suggestion on how many new stages each series would get based on the number of fighters per series:
  • 3 Super Mario stages
  • 3 Legend of Zelda stages
  • 3 Pokémon stages
  • 2 Donkey Kong Country stages
  • 2 Metroid stages
  • 2 Star Fox stages
  • 2 Kirby stages
  • 1 Yoshi's Island stage
  • 1 Earthbound stage
  • 1 F-Zero stage
  • 1 Fire Emblem stage
  • 1 Wario Land stage
  • 1 Ice Climber stage
  • 1 Famicom Detective Club stage
  • 1 Game & Watch stage
  • 2 "wildcard" stages (can be from any Nintendo series, even those that don't have a fighter)
With that taken care of, here is our first stage submission job!

Job #16: Submit a stage from the Legend of Zelda series
When submitting stages for Melee, be sure to include:
  • The fighter that the home stage is for
  • The location of the stage
  • The stage's layout and gimmicks/hazards
  • The stage's two music tracks (implicitly remixed for Melee - if your track is not a remix, please signify it)
To give an example, let's use one of Melee's most iconic stages (and yes, this is my submission):
View attachment 374944
Temple (Hyrule)
Home stage of Zelda/Sheik. Uses the exact same layout it did in Melee (so no hazards).

Zelda Stage Type A: Temple Theme (Zelda II: The Adventure of Link)
Zelda Stage Type B: Dark World (The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past)
Okay, I feel that I should expand on my decisions regarding past stages, since I felt that I didn't really provide as much detail as I should've:
Speaking of StrawPoll, the results of the StrawPoll to determine whether we'd use the "stages per series = fighters per series" system or the "front stage and back stage" system are in favor of the former in a 3 to 1 vote.

Anyways, here are the Zelda stages submitted for Job #16. We'll be voting home stages by their character, so Temple will be added by default since we didn't get another Zelda/Sheik stage submitted. That just leaves us with:

Link's Stage:
  • Clock Town
  • Great Bay
Ganondorf's Stage:
  • Ganon's Tower
  • Gerudo Valley
My votes are for Great Bay and Gerudo Valley.

Job #17: Submit a stage from the Kirby series
Going with another Melee classic for this one: Fountain of Dreams (Planet Popstar).
1690002633861.png

I could see this being a fitting home stage for either Kirby or King Dedede, though for this job I'm going with it being Kirby's home stage.

ShadicMCGS

Smash Apprentice
Voting for Job #16:
  • Link's Stage - Clock Town
  • Ganon's Stage - Gerudo Valley (but only if the "no-voting for your own" rule is not in place)
Job #17:
1690022143782.png

Again, me trying to give a more unique/different choice: Dedede Arena/Stadium (Mt. Dedede) from Kirby Super Star.

The layout is similar to Boxing Ring from Smash 4, but without the falling lamps and with a shorter ramp at the sides.

Music 1: King Dedede's Theme (from Kirby Super Star)
Music 2: Checker Board Chase (from Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards)

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Okay, time to tally up the votes for the next two Zelda stages!

Link's Stage:
  • Clock Town - 2
  • Great Bay - 4
Ganondorf's Stage:
  • Ganon's Tower - 1
  • Gerudo Valley - 5
Great Bay and Gerudo Valley are our next stages!

On to the Kirby stages...

Kirby's Stage
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Butter Building
Since we didn't seem to get another home stage for King Dedede, Dedede Arena will be added by default.

The poll to decide whether or not the past stages will be updated is currently tied, so I'll leave it open for the time being: Should the Past Stages receive an upgrade to make ... - Online Poll - StrawPoll.com

Job #18: Submit a stage from the Mother/Earthbound, F-Zero, or Fire Emblem series
Decided to go with a more open-ended stage submission job this time; we'll be submitting stages for the three series whose sole fighters were unlockable in Smash 64!

Since Onett was already chosen as one of Smash 64's stages (and still has a chance to return as a Past Stage), my submission will be the other stage from the Mother series that appeared in the original Melee: Fourside (Eagleland). Naturally, it's the home stage of Ness.
1690079064348.png

ShadicMCGS

Smash Apprentice
Vote for Job #17:
Seeing as though we only have two stages for the Kirby series, I can fit a sneaky reference to a front and back stage. So as much as iconic Fountain of Dreams is, I'm going for Butter Building.

Job #18:
1690080963733.png

I'm going to go with Castle Siege (Akaneia), it's already in Brawl, and unless the stage transitions are going to come in (I think we can only sneak in the lava room), we can sneak this one in.

Music 1: Together, We Ride! (from Fire Emblem)
Music 2: Fire Emblem Theme (from Fire Emblem) - Would've preferred the Heroic Origins version for variety, but we can't time travel.

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Here are the votes for Kirby's stage:
  • Fountain of Dreams - 4
  • Butter Building - 1
Fountain of Dreams has been decided as Kirby's stage!

Also, it has been decided through the StrawPoll that the Past Stages will be updated graphically and mechanically to match the other Melee stages!

Since Mute City and Castle Siege were the only F-Zero and Fire Emblem stages to be submitted, they'll be in by default. Thus, our vote this time will be for the Mother/Earthbound stage:

Ness' Stage:
  • Fourside
  • Onett
  • Magicant
Job #18: Submit a stage from the Metroid series
Job #19: Submit a stage from the Star Fox series

Continuing the trend of pulling stages from the original Melee, I'm going with Brinstar Depths, though here it'll be renamed to Kraid's Lair (Planet Zebes). Similar to Fountain of Dreams with Kirby and King Dedede, this could be a potential home stage for either Samus or Ridley, though I'll go with Samus for the time being.
1690139274582.png

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
How many votes do we get for the Mother stage?

1. Onett (reduced it to this one)

Norfair1.jpg
I’ll nominate Norfair, which would function like Brawl’s without the lava wave. This can be Ridley’s stage.

Songs
Norfair
Vs. Ridley (Super Metroid)

Last edited:

ShadicMCGS

Smash Apprentice
Fourside has my vote, since Onett can also be a returning stage, and I don't want to have a lot of returning stages steal slots for newer ones.

Job #19:
1690154454690.png

Speaking of which, I'll have Corneria return, as the home stage for Fox. Being the same as Melee, it probably means that Sector Z will NOT return.

Music 1: Corneria (from Star Fox)
Music 2: Space Armada (from Star Fox) - Alternatively, we get a song from an obscure Nintendo franchise.

P.S. How are we going to make a Famicom Detective Club stage?

Last edited:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
We've got quite a few new stages to add! First, the results of the vote for Ness's stage:
  • Fourside - 4
  • Onett - 1
  • Magicant - 1
Fourside has been chosen as Ness's stage!

Next, the stages added via Job #18:
  • Kraid's Lair (Planet Zebes) - Samus's stage
  • Norfair (Planet Zebes) - Ridley's stage
Since we haven't gotten a submission for Falco's stage yet, I've decided to split the Star Fox portion of Job #18 off into its own separate job (Job #19), which will remain open for the time being.

Job #20: Submit a home stage for one of the retro Nintendo fighters
Since there's recently been a bit of discussion regarding Ayumi's stage, I figured now would be a good time to open up submissions for it, as well as for the home stages of the other retro Nintendo fighters (Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch).

Of course, I think we all know what Mr. Game & Watch's stage will be...
1690190767872.png

Flat Zone (Superflat World)
Depending on how much dev time we have left, we could potentially merge this with Flat Zone 2 like Sm4sh would eventually do with Flat Zone X, otherwise it remains the same as in Melee.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Job #20: Retro stage so retro please give me clout

Famicom.jpg

Disk System
Famicom

This would be Ayumi's home stage. It cycles between a dialogue scene in Famicom Detective Club and a level in the Mysterious Murasame Castle (a loose nod to Takamaru being considered for Smash at some point).

Music

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
stage_concept__ushimitsu_high_school_by_curioususerx90_dese47a-375w-2x.jpg

Ushimitsu High School (Japan)
Home stage of Ayumi herself.

The stage is set out in the a similar fashion to the Luigi's Mansion stage from Brawl where the building becomes see through as the fighters move through it.

Each floor of the school can be passed through, all to the point where they'd eventually end up on the roof, and as the fighters battle it out through the school hallways, they'd be able to see certain classes taking place by students at the school.

As for how else the stage is structured, it's a walk on walk off type, albeit on the right, the left has a dead end to the point where fighters will only get to be KO'd from up on the roof.

In some of the classrooms, you should be able to see some easter eggs, of which be items that can be used in the Famicom Detective Club games, in addition to a chalkboard that has familiar names from those games written on it, and you should be able to see the city where the school takes place at in the distant background whilst up on the roof.

Music 1: Title Screen (The Girl Who Stands Behind)
Music 2: Ayashiro Family (The Missing Heir)

(Currently typing all of this on a mobile device AKA tablet since my computer has crashed and won't work, it'll get fixed soon and I'll be back on)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I think for fun, I’ll whip up some special moves for the cast. I’m going to do 3 special moves per character because that’s how it was in 64.
  • Mario
    • Neutral: Fire Ball
    • Up: Super Jump Punch
    • Down: Raccoon Tail (works like Mario Tornado)
  • Donkey Kong
    • Neutral: Barrel Toss (DK tosses an empty barrel forward)
    • Up: Barrel Cannon (DK shoots upward, hitting anyone in the way)
    • Down: Spinning Kong
  • Link
    • Neutral: Bow & Arrow
    • Up: Spin Attack
    • Down: Bomb
  • Samus
    • Neutral: Missile
    • Up: Speed Booster (Samus travels straight upward but doesn’t deal damage)
    • Down: Morph Ball / Bomb (Samus curls into her Morph Ball form and can leave bombs by pressing A. Pressing B or getting hit causes Samus to exit this form)
  • Yoshi
    • Neutral: Egg Toss (Yoshi aims at the nearest opponent, then throws an egg that deals relatively minor damage)
    • Up: Hip Drop (Yoshi jumps up and then slams down with a shockwave. In the air, it has more horizonal distance than vertical distance.)
    • Down: Egg Roll
  • Kirby
    • Neutral: Inhale
    • Up: High Jump (Kirby jumps high into the air and hits any opponent in the way; of course, once that happens, it counts as a footstool and Kirby is sent into freefall)
    • Down: Stone
  • Fox
    • Neutral: Blaster
    • Up: Fire Fox
    • Down: Reflector
  • Pikachu
    • Neutral: Thunder Shock (basically Thunder Jolt but using the name of one of Pikachu’s canonical attacks)
    • Up: Quick Attack
    • Down: Thunder
  • Luigi
    • Down: Racoon Tail
  • Bowser
    • Neutral: Fire Shot (Bowser shoots fireballs that get smaller and weaker with successive use)
    • Up: Koopa Clown Car (Bowser floats upward in his Clown Car; he can be interrupted by an attack and pressing any other button ends it early)
    • Down: Whirling Fortrewss
  • Marth
    • Neutral: Shield Breaker
    • Up: Dolphin Slash
    • Down: Counter
  • Mewtwo
    • Neutral: Swift (functionality closer to Shadow Ball but fires as a volley of stars instead)
    • Up: Teleport
    • Down: Disable
  • King Dedede
    • Neutral: Gordo Toss
    • Up: Dedede Jump
    • Down: Hammer Flip
  • Ness
    • Neutral: PK Freeze
    • Up: PK Thunder
    • Down: PSI Magnet
  • Captain Falcon
    • Neutral: Falcon Punch
    • Up: Falcon Dive
    • Down: Falcon Kick
  • Meowth
    • Neutral: Pay Day (Meowth tosses a coin forward. The damage and knockback it deals depends on how far behind Meowth is compared to the opponents.)
    • Up: Blast Off (Meowth gets launched by a comical explosion; he doesn’t take recoil damage, but how high he’s launched depends on how much damage he has)
    • Down: Scratch (Meowth backflips forward and grabs an opponent; if successful, he scratches the opponent multiple times, which he can finish by pressing B. Pressing B before Meowth grabs anyone has him instead slash in a frontflip.)
Think I'll do it again but throw side specials into the mix.
  • Mario
    • Side: Cape
    • Down: Raccoon Tail
  • Donkey Kong
    • Neutral: Giant Punch
    • Side: Spinning Kong
    • Up: Barrel Cannon
    • Down: Barrel Toss
  • Link
    • Neutral: Bow & Arrow
    • Side: Boomerang
    • Up: Spin Attack
    • Down: Bomb
  • Samus
    • Neutral: Charge Beam
    • Side: Missile
    • Up: Speed Booster
    • Down: Morph Ball / Bomb
  • Yoshi
    • Neutral: Egg Lay
    • Side: Egg Roll
    • Up: Egg Toss
    • Down: Hip Drop
  • Kirby
    • Side: Burning
    • Up: High Jump
    • Down: Stone
  • Fox
    • Side: Fox Illusion
    • Up: Fire Fox
  • Pikachu
    • Neutral: Thunder Shock
    • Side: Skull Bash
    • Up: Quick Attack
    • Down: Thunder
  • Luigi
    • Side; Green Missile
    • Down: Racoon Tail
  • Bowser
    • Neutral: Fire Shot
    • Side: Whirling Fortress
    • Up: Koopa Clown Car
    • Down: Bowser Bomb
  • Marth
    • Neutral: Shield Breaker
    • Side: Dancing Blade
    • Up: Dolphin Slash
    • Down: Counter
  • Mewtwo
    • Neutral: Shadow Ball
    • Side: Confusion (works how it does in Sm4sh)
    • Up: Teleport
    • Down: Disable
  • King Dedede
    • Side: Jet Hammer (Dedede spins around while moving in the direction tilted on the control stick)
    • Up: Dedede Jump
    • Down: Gordo Toss
  • Ness
    • Neutral: PK Freeze
    • Side: PK Fire (hits once, pushes opponents forward, only one can be out at a time, and there's cooldown between uses)
    • Up: PK Thunder
    • Down: PSI Magnet
  • Captain Falcon
    • Neutral: Falcon Punch
    • Side: Raptor Boost
    • Up: Falcon Dive
    • Down: Falcon Kick
  • Meowth
    • Neutral: Pay Day (Meowth scatters a flurry of coins that gets smaller and weaker the longer B is held.)
    • Side: Thief (Meowth backflips forward and grabs an opponent; if successful, he scratches the opponent and steals whatever item they are holding. Pressing B before Meowth grabs anyone has him instead slash in a frontflip.)
    • Up: Blast Off
    • Down: Fake Out (Meowth fools the opponent with cute eyes, which prevents them from attacking if they are further away. If Meowth is hit during the attack, he will instead slap the opponent twice.)
  • Peach
    • Neutral: Toad
    • Side: Peach Bomber
    • Up: Parasol
    • Down: Vegetable
  • Wario
    • Neutral: Wario Throw (picks up an opponent and can hold them for a bit before throwing them)
    • Side: Shoulder Tackle (barges forward and stops as soon as he hits something)
    • Up: Springy Wario (pauses for a bit before springing in the direction tilted
    • Down: Ground Pound (sacrifices vertical distance for a shockwave)
  • Diddy Kong
    • Neutral: Peanut Popgun (clone of Meowth’s Pay Day)
    • Side: Monkey Flip (clone of Meowth’s Thief, except Diddy hits multiple times when he grabs someone at the cost of not being able to steal items)
    • Up: Rocketbarrel Boost (clone of Meowth’s Blast Off, except there’s no damage-based recovery height and Diddy can angle his ascent in the direction tilted on the control stick)
    • Down: Banana Peel (the only special move of Diddy’s that isn’t a clone of one of Meowth’s; Diddy simply drops a banana peel behind himself)
  • Zelda / Sheik
    • Neutral: Nayru’s Love / Needle Storm
    • Side: Din’s Fire / Burst Grenade
    • Up: Farore’s Wind / Vanish
    • Down: Transform
  • Ganondorf
    • Neutral: Dead Man’s Volley (throws a projectile that gets stronger and faster every time it’s reflected)
    • Side: Flame Chain (thrusts his trident forward and hits multiple times
    • Up: Dark Dive (jumps up and crashes back down with his trident)
    • Down: Dark Wave (charges a wave of darkness that doesn’t deal damage but pushes opponents back)
  • Ridley
    • Neutral: Plasma Breath (shoots up to five fireballs)
    • Side: Predator (lunges forward to grab an opponent. If successful, Ridley flies up a short distance and slams the opponent on the ground.)
    • Up: Wing Blitz (performs a loop-de-loop before dashing off in the direction tilted. The first part of the attack deals considerable damage, while the second part deals no damage.)
    • Down: Tail Strike (uses his tail as a pogo stick when on the ground. In the air, it can spike at the tip and has a footstool effect.
  • Falco
    • Side: Falco Phantasm
    • Up: Aero Falco (uses wind instead of fire; goes further and faster than Fox but doesn’t deal damage)
  • Scizor
    • Neutral: Bullet Punch (rapidly punches depending on how long B is held)
    • Side: Metal Claw (flashes forward and can break a shield)
    • Up: Razor Wind (charges a sharp gust of wind and can press B again to dash in the direction tilted and attack)
    • Down: Fury Cutter (gets stronger and gains more range with each successful hit, but reverts with every whiff. Can also reflect projectiles.)
  • Ice Climbers
    • Neutral: Blizzard
    • Side: Squall Hammer
    • Up: Belay
    • Down: Ice Shot (tosses ice chunks on both sides of the Ice Climbers)
  • Ayumi
    • Neutral: Flashlight (clone of Peach’s Toad; if Ayumi is hit, the opponent is spotted by the flashlight and paralyzed for a bit, but doesn’t take damage)
    • Side: Solar Rays (clone of Zelda’s Din’s Fire; uses the magnifying glass to guide a solar ray that shines upon contact with an enemy)
    • Up: Umbrella (clone of Peach’s Parasol, except you can only move forward)
    • Down: Inspect (clone of Peach’s Vegetable; inspects the ground with her magnifying glass and has a 50/50 chance of picking up either a throwing item or a Bob-Omb that explodes immediately)
  • Mr. Game & Watch
    • Neutral: Chef
    • Side: Judge
    • Up: Fire
    • Down: Oil Panic

Last edited:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Okay, it's time to begin voting for the retro Nintendo characters' stages! Since Flat Zone was the only home stage for Mr. Game & Watch to be submitted, it'll be added by default, so the vote will be for the home stages of Ice Climbers and Ayumi!

Ice Climbers' Stage
  • Summit
  • Bonus Stage
Ayumi's Stage
  • Disk System
  • Ushimitsh High School
My votes are for Summit and Ushimitsu High School.

Moving on to Job #19, we still haven't gotten a submission for Falco's stage yet, so I'm just going to go with Venom like in the real-life Melee.
1690229246602.png

Of course, Corneria has been submitted as Fox's stage, so it will be added as well.

Job #21: Submit a stage from the Donkey Kong Country series
Will submit my own stage a bit later this time.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Screenshot_20230725-100845_YouTube.jpg

Monkey Mines (Donkey Kong Island)
Taking place in the caves of DK Island, the fighters find themselves throwing hands with each other on a train consisting of minecarts barrelling down the unstable tracks at high speed.

Going through the mines, you would see Kremlings working and doing mining jobs as well enemies roaming in the background.

Music 1: Mine Cart Madness (Donkey Kong Country)
Music 2: Bad Boss Boogie (Donkey Kong Country)

Last edited:

ShadicMCGS

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Here are the voting results for Job #20!

Ice Climbers' Stage
  • Summit - 5
  • Bonus Stage - 0
Ayumi's Stage
  • Disk System - 2
  • Ushimitsu High School - 3
Summit has been decided as the Ice Climbers' stage and Ushimitsu High School has been decided as Ayumi's stage!

Now, onto the voting for the Donkey Kong Country stages. But before we start, I'll make my own submission for Donkey Kong's stage: Jungle Japes, which functions as it does in Melee.
1690285683344.png

Donkey Kong's stage:
  • Jungle Hijinx
  • Kongo Falls
  • Jungle Japes
Diddy Kong's stage:
  • Gang-Plank Galleon
  • Monkey Mines
I'll vote for Kongo Falls as Donkey Kong's stage and Monkey Mines as Diddy Kong's stage.

Job #22: Submit a stage from the Yoshi's Island series (including Super Mario World)
Job #23: Submit a stage from the Wario Land series (including Super Mario Land and Super Mario Land 2)

Keeping my trend of submitting stages from the original Melee going, I'll go with Yoshi's Island as Yoshi's stage.
1690286002926.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom