• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remaking the Smash Bros. series from the ground-up!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Gonna go with Lugia.

Job 12: Excitebiker
excite.jpg

They were cut due to having problems with how to make them jump, but having a fighter that fights with a vehicle is a fun concept.

ShadicMCGS

Smash Apprentice
Since I can't vote my own, I'll say Wobbuffet.

I was originally going to say G&W but someone already took it...
So I'll just say Little Mac before someone else takes it.
1689325939544.png

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Honestly, I'm loving this thread since it gives the opportunity to add in content that got cut from the Smash games.

Edit: For Brawl, we could maybe submit Assist Trophies and maybe do Subspace which sounds bit hard and would take long
With Subspace if we do it I think the best way might be just working out a general plot outline and who the villains \ bosses are, rather than chapter by chapter

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Since there seems to be some confusion over whether or not you can vote for your own submissions, I should clarify that yes, you can vote for them in cases where you can only vote for one submission. The reason why that's the case for this job is because I like to keep the number of votes consistent with the number of submissions that will be added (though I'll admit there were situations where I was tempted to break that consistency, like when Ganondorf just barely lost the vote for Job #10's fighter additions).

Speaking of votes, I think now's a good time to tally up the ones for which Pokémon will be added as a fighter:
  • Heracross - 0
  • Blaziken - 0
  • Lugia - 3
  • Quagsire - 0
  • Scizor - 4
  • Wobbuffet - 1
1689373861980.png

Scizor is our next fighter added!

Now, for the retro Nintendo fighter nominations:
  • Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
  • Excitebiker (Excitebike)
  • Mr. Game & Watch (Game & Watch)
  • Little Mac (Punch-Out!!)
  • Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)
  • Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
  • Pit (Kid Icarus)
  • Duck Hunt (Duck Hunt)
  • Lip (Panel de Pon)
Vote for your top 3, with yours below 1st:
  1. Ayumi
  2. Mach Rider
  3. Mr. Game & Watch
Job #13: Submit a selection of Stadium game modes
This refers to the group of bonus modes covered under the "Stadium" section of Melee's 1P Mode, which in the original Melee were Break the Targets, Home-Run Contest, and Multi-Man Melee.

I'll go with that same selection, with the addition of Race to the Finish (it always kind of baffled me that that mode was limited to being a late-stage Classic Mode bonus stage).

Last edited:

ShadicMCGS

Smash Apprentice
  1. Mr. Game & Watch
  2. Little Mac
  3. Takamaru
For the Stadium job, I would suggest the same selection along with Race to the Finish and maybe Crystal Smash (from Super Smash Flash 2).

EDIT: Surprised Peach isn't in the roster yet, even though she's one of the core Mario characters and one of the only Melee newcomers to have a unique moveset. Wario got in before her!

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
1. Pit
2. Ayumi
3. G&W

For stadium modes, I’ll go with GamingFan1997 GamingFan1997 and make the Trophy Snag mode available outside of Classic Mode as I’m not sure that Board the platforms could be finished with the extra development time

Last edited:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Here are the votes for the retro Nintendo fighters to be added:
  • Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) - 1
  • Excitebiker (Excitebike) - 1
  • Mr. Game & Watch (Game & Watch) - 22
  • Little Mac (Punch-Out!!) - 4
  • Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club) - 15
  • Mach Rider (Mach Rider) - 3
  • Pit (Kid Icarus) - 13
  • Duck Hunt (Duck Hunt) - 2
  • Lip (Panel de Pon) - 6
1689447342311.png
1689447436045.png
1689447518662.png

Mr. Game & Watch, Ayumi, and Pit have been added to the roster!

As for the Stadium game modes, it seems like everyone's in agreement to keep the three that were already in Melee (Break the Targets, Home-Run Contest, Multi-Man Melee), and to make Race to the Finish available outside of Classic Mode, so that's what we'll be doing. As for the other two Stadium games suggested, since only one of them (Crystal Smash, suggested by ShadicMCGS ShadicMCGS ) is a mode not originally in Melee while the other (Trophy Snag, suggested by Pupp135 Pupp135 ) was already in Melee as a Classic Mode-exclusive bonus stage, we can probably afford to include both, though I'll still leave a vote open for those who'd prefer to only have one of the two:
  • Crystal Smash
  • Trophy Snag
  • Both
My own vote's for both, obviously.

Back to the roster, we only have 2 fighters left to include, so our next job will be...

Job #14: Submit a pair of newcomers to complete Melee's roster
Basically, this job is where you provide your ideas for how to best complete this version of Melee's roster given the fighters already added so far.
  1. Mario (Super Mario Bros.)
  2. Luigi (Super Mario Bros.)
  3. Bowser (Super Mario Bros.)
  4. Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
  5. Diddy Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
  6. Link (Legend of Zelda)
  7. Zelda/Sheik (Legend of Zelda)
  8. Samus (Metroid)
  9. Ridley (Metroid)
  10. Yoshi (Yoshi's Island)
  11. Kirby (Kirby)
  12. King Dedede (Kirby)
  13. Fox (Star Fox)
  14. Pikachu (Pokémon)
  15. Mewtwo (Pokémon)
  16. Meowth (Pokémon)
  17. Scizor (Pokémon)
  18. Marth (Fire Emblem)
  19. Ness (MOTHER/Earthbound)
  20. Captain Falcon (F-Zero)
  21. Wario (Wario Land)
  22. Ice Climbers (Ice Climber)
  23. Pit (Kid Icarus)
  24. Ayumi (Famicom Detective Club)
  25. Mr. Game & Watch (Game & Watch)
Bold indicates unlockable fighters.
Italics indicate newcomers.

For my own choices, I'm going with:
  • Peach (Super Mario Bros.): She's the only one of both the core seven Mario characters (the others being Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Wario) and the original Melee's non-clone newcomers (the others being Bowser, Ice Climbers, Zelda/Sheik, Marth, Mewtwo, and Mr. Game & Watch) who hasn't been added in yet.
  • Wolf (Star Fox): I figured that it would be practical to have at least one of the remaining newcomers be a clone or semi-clone, so I decided to take this opportunity to include some more representation for the Star Fox series (I was also considering Roy from the Fire Emblem series for this spot, but I decided it might be better to start with more representation for series whose fighters were on Smash 64's base roster).

Last edited:

ShadicMCGS

Smash Apprentice
Job 14:
  1. Peach (Super Mario) - As I said before, it's wild to think that Peach is the most obvious character who is not in the game yet. She definitely needs to be in by now!
  2. Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda) - Ironic how we tried to go for quality over quantity, yet we haven't included Ganondorf in yet. Again (ironically), because of how late he is, he'd still probably be a clone of Captain Falcon, but with a few more moves to differentiate him.
Honorable Mentions:
  • Falco and Wolf from Star Fox - If people still don't want to include Ganondorf (we already have Ridley for a new villain rep), sure, but I think Ganondorf is more important.
  • Aside from Jigglypuff, any character that was already in Melee, but didn't make our roster. Mostly Roy, since he would've been a character to represent recent games.
  • Sonic/Snake/any third-party character - As cool as it would've been, since all of you voted for 27/28, and not 30/31, yeah I chose not to include them.

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
Joanna Dark, as a substitute for James Bond (one of the most wanted characters at the time, but a no-go for obvious reasons) and coming from Rare’s highest rated game.

Pig Ganon is more prominent than his Gerudo counterpart and the extra dev time would certainly allow for a unique moveset.

Last edited:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Isn't it the other way around?

When have we seen a new version of Pig Ganon?
(His Gerudo version seems more popular)
I'm pretty sure that TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter is referring to Pig Ganon's prominence within the Zelda franchise in comparison to Ganondorf at the time of Melee's release (2001-2002), as at that point in time Ganondorf had only really appeared in Ocarina of Time (his debut game), while Pig Ganon had been a prominent fixture of the Zelda series since the very first game (even serving as the final phase of Ganondorf's boss fight in Ocarina of Time itself).

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure that TheLastMaverickHunter TheLastMaverickHunter is referring to Pig Ganon's prominence within the Zelda franchise in comparison to Ganondorf at the time of Melee's release (2001-2002), as at that point in time Ganondorf had only really appeared in Ocarina of Time (his debut game), while Pig Ganon had been a prominent fixture of the Zelda series since the very first game (even serving as the final phase of Ganondorf's boss fight in Ocarina of Time itself).
Oh yeah, thanks for letting me know!

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Pre-release artwork of Roy from The Binding Blade.
I’ll nominate Peach and Roy as Peach is probably the most prominent fighter not on the roster, and Roy is easier to create and promotes Binding Blade. I thought about Doriyah too.

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Ill go Peach and Falco. Personally I think adding all three of those retros was a bit much

Peach makes sense as the last big Mario pick. A second star fox rep would make sense since it would be fairly easy to do. I'd have liked ganon but iirc he was a fairly last minute addition anyway

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Ill go Peach and Falco. Personally I think adding all three of those retros was a bit much
Honestly, I agree with you in regard to the three retros. I only added all three because I wanted to keep the results consistent with the number of votes each user had for that job, and even then I originally had that number at two.

I'm actually considering delaying the inclusion of Pit until Brawl's roster (it helps that his new design for Brawl would provide the basis for Kid Icarus: Uprising), and I have set up a StrawPoll to determine if everyone else in this thread would be okay with that decision:
Should Pit debut in Melee's roster or Brawl's rost... - Online Poll - StrawPoll.com

As for the pairs of newcomers submitted for Melee's last roster spots:
  • Peach (Super Mario Bros.) and Wolf (Star Fox)
  • Ganondorf (Legend of Zelda) and Meta Knight (Kirby)
  • Lyn (Fire Emblem) and Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie)
  • Peach (Super Mario Bros.) and Ganondorf (Legend of Zelda)
  • Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark) and Ganon (Legend of Zelda)
  • Peach (Super Mario Bros.) and Roy (Fire Emblem)
  • Peach (Super Mario Bros.) and Falco (Star Fox)
Vote for your top 2, with yours below 1st:
  1. Peach and Roy
  2. Peach and Wolf
As for the vote to determine whether to add Crystal Smash, Trophy Snag, or both, the lack of votes from anyone other than myself (who voted for both) indicates something that I suspected from the very beginning: that there never needed to be a vote between those options to begin with, and that everyone was in favor of just adding both.

Job #15: Submit a Classic Mode format for Melee
My own proposed format is:
1v1 > 2v2 > 1v1 > Break the Targets/Crystal Smash > 1v1 > 3vGiant > Home-Run Contest/Trophy Snag > 1vTeam (1v10) > 1v1 > 1vMetal > Race to the Finish > Multi-Man Melee (1v30) > Master Hand (depending on the difficulty setting of Classic Mode and how quickly you get through it, you can also fight Crazy Hand, or Master Hand and Crazy Hand together)

Of course, fighters would be added to the CPU pool as they are unlocked.

darkvortex

Smash Champion
1. Peach and Ganon
2. Peach and Falco

I considered Banjo since we have full access here. But I'd rather keep him for Brawl

Last edited:
Top Bottom