• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remaking the Smash Bros. series from the ground-up!

ShadicMCGS

Smash Apprentice
Job #8: Vote 3 of Smash 64's unlockable fighters to be moved to the base roster
  1. Ness
  2. Captain Falcon
  3. Bowser
Job #9: Submit a new game mode for Melee that wasn't in 64
I agree with Mamboo, just go with Event matches.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
1. Ness
2. Luigi
3. Bowser

For the game mode, I’ll nominate Tag Team, which is more or less Project M/+’s All-Star Smash where you switch characters after each death.

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Okay, to start with, here are the results of the vote for Smash 64's unlockable fighters that will be moved to the base roster:
  • Luigi - 1
  • Bowser - 18
  • Marth - 8
  • Mewtwo - 0
  • King Dedede - 2
  • Ness - 18
  • Captain Falcon - 9
  • Meowth - 3
Bowser, Ness, and Captain Falcon will be on Melee's base roster, just like in the original timeline!

Now, onto the results of the vote to determine whether or not Rare is acquired by Nintendo instead of Microsoft in this timeline:
  • Yes - 7 votes
  • No - 1 vote
The votes are in favor of Rare becoming a first-party developer for Nintendo in this timeline!
As for what a Rare buyout would entail, there is an interesting Reddit post that delves into this.
Here are the new Melee modes submitted for Job #9:
  • Home-Run Contest
  • Event Match
  • Volleyball Mode
  • Snag the Trophies (Classic Mode bonus stage)
  • Smash Party
  • Tag Team
Vote for your top 2, with yours below 1st:
  1. Event Match
  2. Home-Run Contest
Job #10: Submit a fighter from a Nintendo series that only had 1 fighter in Smash 64
When submitting a fighter for this job, be sure to specify:
  • Whether they'd be in the base roster or unlockable.
  • Whether they're a clone, a semi-clone, or an original fighter.
1689072819892.png

For my submission, I'm going with Ganondorf from the Legend of Zelda series, who'd be an original fighter as opposed to a Captain Falcon clone this time around. He'd be one of harder fighters to unlock.

darkvortex

Smash Lord

Ridley
Metroid was fairly big at this time and he'd go on to become a really popular request. He'd be unlockable

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Event Match
Tag Team

Dont think this will be allowed since this is technically 2 fighters but will at least throw the idea out here now & change the nominee if need be.

Goron Link/Zora Link (artwork by CamiloArts1)

Really like the idea of a transforming character like Zelda/Shiek & later Pyra/Mythra but really like the potential of this idea implementing movesets for 2 of the most popular & recurring races of the Zelda series, Young Link & Deku Link would be taunts &/or victory animations at some point & Fierce Deity would be final Smash.

Last edited:

ShadicMCGS

Smash Apprentice
Melee Mode Vote
  1. Event Matches
  2. Volleyball
Job #10: Submit a fighter from a Nintendo series that only had 1 fighter in Smash 64
There were a few choices I had: Ganondorf, Zelda/Sheik, Diddy Kong, Falco and Wolf. But in the end: I chose Zelda/Sheik.
1689115882646.png

Couldn't find an image that's their OoT renders together, and didn't wanna bother making an original image.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
1. Event Match
2. Volleyball
Brawl Sticker Blood Falcon (F-Zero GX).png
I’ll nominate Blood Falcon as a Captain Falcon clone, and he’d be unlockable

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
We've got a pretty solid selection of newcomer nominations! For those that weren't specified as default or unlockable, I'm assuming they maintain the same status they or their equivalents had in Melee:
  • Ganondorf (Legend of Zelda, original, unlockable)
  • Diddy Kong (Donkey Kong Country, original, default)
  • Ridley (Metroid, original, unlockable)
  • Falco (Star Fox, clone, unlockable)
  • Wolf (Star Fox, semi-clone, unlockable)
  • Goron Link/Zora Link (Legend of Zelda, original, unlockable)
  • Zelda/Sheik (Legend of Zelda, original, default)
  • Roy (Fire Emblem, semi-clone, unlockable)
  • Blood Falcon (F-Zero, clone, unlockable)
Vote for your top 3, with yours before 1st:
  1. Zelda/Sheik
  2. Ridley
  3. Wolf
Now, for the new modes that will be added:
  • Home-Run Contest - 3
  • Event Match - 11
  • Volleyball Mode - 4
  • Snag the Trophies - 0
  • Smash Party - 0
  • Tag Team - 3
Event Match and Volleyball Mode will be the new modes added.

Discussion #2: Melee's Stages
1689165438895.png

How should we handle the selection of Melee's stages? Personally, I'm in favor of doing a "each character has their own home stage" sort of thing (aside from Battlefield, Final Destination, and the Past Stages), especially in light of All-Star Mode being a thing from Melee onward, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter, as well as on which stages from the real-life Melee should appear in this game!

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Ridley
Zora Link/Goron Link
Wolf

I agree that homestages would be fun

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
1. Zelda/Sheik
2. Falco
3. Diddy

For stages, I don’t have a preference, and I’ll go with the home stage idea as this seems to be the most popular.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
On the topic of home stages, I actually had some recent ideas for those in regards to the canon roster.
  1. Rainbow Cruise (Mario Stage)
  2. Subcon (Luigi Stage)
  3. Princess Peach’s Castle (Peach Stage)
  4. Bowser’s Castle (Bowser Stage)
  5. Dr. Mario (Dr. Mario Stage)
  6. Kongo Falls (DK Stage)
  7. Lost Woods (Link Stage)
  8. Temple (Zelda / Sheik Stage)
  9. Ganon’s Tower (Ganondorf Stage)
  10. Great Bay (Young Link Stage)
  11. Brinstar (Samus Stage)
  12. Yoshi’s Story (Yoshi Stage)
  13. Fountain of Dreams (Kirby Stage)
  14. Corneria (Fox Stage)
  15. Venom (Falco Stage)
  16. Pokémon Stadium (Pikachu Stage)
  17. Pokémon Center (Jigglypuff Stage)
  18. Sprout Tower (Pichu Stage)
  19. Poké Floats (Mewtwo Stage)
  20. Onett (Ness Stage)
  21. Big Blue (Captain Falcon Stage)
  22. Icicle Mountain (Ice Climber Stage)
  23. Castle Siege (Marth Stage)
  24. Secret Cave (Roy Stage)
  25. Flat Zone (Game & Watch Stage)
  26. Battlefield (Secret Stage)
  27. Final Destination (Secret Stage)
  28. Peach’s Castle (Past Stage)
  29. Kongo Jungle (Past Stage)
  30. Hyrule Castle (Past Stage)
  31. Planet Zebes (Past Stage)
  32. Super Happy Tree (Past Stage)
  33. Dream Land (Past Stage)
  34. Sector Z (Past Stage)
  35. Saffron City (Past Stage)
  36. Mushroom Kingdom (Past Stage)

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Here are the results of
  • Ganondorf - 10
  • Diddy Kong - 12
  • Ridley - 11
  • Falco - 6
  • Wolf - 3
  • Goron Link/Zora Link - 2
  • Zelda/Sheik - 20
  • Roy - 0
  • Blood Falcon - 0

1689217040444.png
1689217052840.png
1689217064948.png

Diddy Kong, Zelda/Sheik, and Ridley are our next newcomers! With that, all 15 (technically 16 now) fighters for Melee's base roster have been decided!
Italics indicate newcomers
  • Mario (Super Mario Bros.)
  • Bowser (Super Mario Bros.)
  • Donkey Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
  • Diddy Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
  • Link (Legend of Zelda)
  • Zelda/Sheik (Legend of Zelda)
  • Samus Aran (Metroid)
  • Yoshi (Yoshi's Island)
  • Kirby (Kirby)
  • Fox McCloud (Star Fox)
  • Pikachu (Pokémon)
  • Ness (Mother/Earthbound)
  • Captain Falcon (F-Zero)
  • Wario (Wario Land)
  • Ice Climbers (Ice Climber)

Also, it looks like everyone's on board with the idea of every fighter having their own home stage, so that's what we'll be doing! Though as Perkilator Perkilator suggested, we'll wait until after the roster has been finalized before we decide on stages. Depending on how the roster turns out, we might also be able to implement the "front" and "back" stage concept that the original Melee had as well. Speaking of the roster...

Job #11: Submit a non-Kanto Pokémon as a fighter
The reason I specified "non-Kanto" instead of "Johto" is because with the extra dev time going into this thread's versions of Smash 64 and Melee, Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire are likely to be released relatively close to this version of Melee, so I wanted to leave the door open for potential Hoenn representation under the assumption that this thread's version of Nintendo would want to promote the newest (at the time) Pokémon games (considering that Roy from Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade debuted in the real-world Melee before his own game even released, there's certainly precedent for this sort of promotional stunt).

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Job 11: Heracross
0214Heracross.png

Going to go with the big old beetle from Generation 2.

One thing about the Pokémon roster in Smash that I felt like lacked were type variety.
(Most of the reps being Starters and Grass, Water, Fire types)

This guy is Bug/Fighting which I think would fit well in a fighting game.

ShadicMCGS

Smash Apprentice
Ok two things:

First, did we ever say Wario is a starter or an unlockable?

And secondly, as for the Pokémon, this was tough. My choices were either keep Pichu, add a Gen 3 starter like Blaziken or Sceptile or go for something completely random. I was originally dead-set on saying Blaziken, because it can either go with a full original moveset to being a clone based on Ganondorf or something in-between. However, considering Ganondorf was NOT chosen as one of the five base roster characters, it's likely we're going to resort him to clone status again. Besides, Charizard might eventually get in during our Brawl jobs or something.

I know some have said that with 27 (or 28) characters is a good roster for our Melee since some would like to try and prefer quality over quantity. Because of that, it's why I didn't have Pichu for long in my roster. I do like Mamboo's choice for Heracross, but I also want to try and submit my own.
1689230530001.png

In the end, I did choose Blaziken again, simply because of its moveset potential. If you think about it:
  • There can be a few martial arts-based moves created for the moveset, even if it doesn't resemble a Pokémon move.
  • It's representing the newest generation, so there's the new blood of characters.
  • If there's not enough time to flesh out a full moveset, he can just clone a few moves from Captain Falcon (this depends if Ganondorf will be original or not).
EDIT: Another honorable mention is Suicune, mainly because of Pokken and the fact that it's a quadruped Pokémon, which is fairly unique at this point, since Ivysaur isn't in yet.

EDIT #2: Currently making visuals for fighter, stage and item rosters, so it's easier for new people to have some sort of visual cue to where we are at.

Last edited:

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
First, did we ever say Wario is a starter or an unlockable?
Wario was one of the two winning nominations for Job #6, which was for fighters from series without representation in Smash 64 that would be added to the base roster (he represented the Wario Land series).

GamingFan1997 GamingFan1997
I'm guessing the fighters coloured in Bold for the Melee roster means unlockable, right?
Yes, Bold does signify unlockable fighters.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Job 11: Lugia

One of Johto’s legendary Pokémon, Lugia has quite a bit of potential.

Its moves include Areoblast, Wing Attack, Extrasensory and Dragon Rush.

Lugia would use Side and Up Smash similar to Donkey Kong’s, but has a tail strike as a down smash.

And Lugia as Psychic/Flying giving Lugia some variety of moves for smash.

Lugia has for jumps, due to said pokémon being part flying type and is one of the heavier characters (same weight as Donkey Kong, but lighter then Bowser)

GamingFan1997

Smash Journeyman
Here are the nominations for the new Pokémon fighter to be added to Melee:
  • Heracross
  • Blaziken
  • Lugia
  • Quagsire
  • Scizor
  • Wobbufet
My own vote's for Scizor.

Job #12: Submit a fighter from a retro Nintendo series
This refers to games published by Nintendo during the 80s and early 90s (excluding series who already have fighters in this version of Melee, of course).

For my own submission, I'll go with Takamaru from The Mysterious Murasame Castle.
1689304130506.png

Top Bottom