• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Regarding NYTE and the MK Ban (DECISION FINALIZED! PLEASE READ 1st POST!)

I am ANTIBAN

The potential for our country to improve has decreased without new changes to the ruleset and mk's ban and I am sure Japan will continue to improve more than us now. It seems that later on Japan will be able to take top 8 as opposed to top 2 by the time of the next world tournament. Actually I am sure that will happen.

If our community cared about the growth of our country, then MK shouldn't be banned and the stage list should be changed. Artificially making MK stronger because of stages screwed us over at Apex.

This was Otori's first tournament win obviously meaning, he has never won a tournament before. They have to deal with multiple MKs of that caliber (him, Kakera, Masashi) at pretty much every tournament, and they beat them to the point where banning MK seems unthinkable to them. The best people in our country who don't use metaknight just suck compared to theirs.

Otori completely wrecked everyone except Nairo, who almost went even but still lost. Nietono essentially destroyed the loser bracket. Japan wrecked us. This is clearly visible in the sets with them completely outclassing many of our very best players. Ally got his *** handed to him! and M2K lost to a Japanese Rob.

The main difference is that Japan doesn't have a **** attitude towards losing and won't make excuses like thinking a character is bannable. And now they are on a much higher level than us. And it's funny because the last 2 nationals had an olimar win, which suggests he is the best character in the game now. (cough also a Falco and a Snake have won APEX before). In addition, Now many of our smartest players are also going to quit because of this ban.

In Japan, the best player uses IC's and the second best uses Olimar. Japan proved a more evolved metagame can develop with MK being legal. That is the argument.. This ban is silly now, and supporting it is just being ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuen

Did anyone else find it curious that Japan managed to adjust to stages that they do not see regularly in tournament? Oh sure they probably put some practice in on each, but we've got years on them, so going to Frigate should be the best idea ever, right? Right? (Not against Olimar it's not... lol purples).

If you guys didn't already know, I do a bit of education research and that involves some cognitive psychology. I'll probably mix up my terms here and there, but the point that follows still stands:

We should adapt Japan's stage list. If we do so, our skill on stages outside the big 3 will improve.

Wait... so not playing on the stages will make us better... right? Yes. People learn better under truncated (simplified) conditions. In chemistry, you learn the Bohr model of the atom (electrons like planets) before you learn about proper orbitals. In Smash, a smaller stage set will allow players to concentrate more on the skills required to control your character as opposed to the gimmicks present on a moving stage. When the movement, damage, and gimmick factors are removed, we will be forced to face the problems that we try to avoid via these stage traits. They will be slowly overcome through perseverance and training.

This will work because with less factors to consider, you will be within the zone of proximital development. This is a term that is used to describe the range of cognitive stress one can survive under when learning. If I play a set with M2K (and I have. And I got whopped), I won't learn much because everything is going WAY TOO FAST. This means that the match itself is outside my zone of proximital development.

The concept works with stage gimicks too. If I have to consider whatever it is M2K is doing to me AND all the funny tricks that are present in playing a match on Brinstar or Rainbow Cruise, then I have even less of a chance of learning something significant. So I have to reduce the 'stress' on my brain.

The correct response to this problem is a simplified system

In the end, I believe that the implementation a Japanese stage set (BF, FD, SV) will greatly benefit our community via the simplification of our competitive system. Do this, and our character control and knowledge will rise to the challenge when the Japanese decide to fly their very best over to hand us our egos on a silver platter once again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD11l3omQzM

^ Mikehaze's anti-ban video

Mike2

Smash Ace
I was pro-ban but now I would be ok with either choice as long as the ruleset is changed up if he stays.
Like changed a lot...

Mr.Jaskolski

Smash Ace
Elvis your still pretending like you know what your talking bout? lol Heres my personal opinion, ahem....why should it matter if they banned a **** character Elvis you suck at every game u play, so ban or not u lose anywayyyy i dont even play brawl and i own u , that is all

KiraFlax

Smash Lord
I dont think MK should be banned. We want to be at our best to show out of stae people that we ****. Our BEST playe mains mk and we have darkshifter and some others that pocket metaknight. I want to play out of state at our best and not limit ourselves for the sake of limiting them. I want complete fairness and beat these ni`ggas. No more excuses we can take on the world without limits and without excuses it all depends on our training from here on out. me and kyle dont really have that many problems with metaknight as opposed to the rest of AZ scene because we have trained and we see the things about meta knight that others dont that make us win more often because we have practiced the match up time and time again. I feel kinda responsible that the rest of AZ feels this way I havent done my best with going to people houses and training them as often as I used to or should and show them the things i know about meta knight. TRUST ME when we show you these things and we all train harder and harder. It wont be as bad. Yes metaknight is very very very hard, but i believe hes only border line bannable. Meta knight is gay but We can do it dont give up. And also lets kik out of state ***.

Napos

Smash Ace
NM is coming! As for the ban...anti. Apex proved it for us, get better.

Cassio

Smash Master
Not sure if socal counts for this, but a poll I did at a regional in october 60% prefer MK legal with the unity ruleset and even more with variations (RC/Brinstar banned, etc.). Most of our top ranked players are also training for the japanese tournament with MK legal and I know most of Vegas' big players are against the ban as well.

Im interested in bringing a carpool myself and am against the ban. Its too far ahead for me to say for sure, but him being banned will definitely weigh in on my decision.

Jane

Smash Hero
^i am 99% sure MK will be legal at this event. the only reason i dont say 100% is because nicknyte hasnt made an official announcement. but trust, he will be legal.

with that said, please bring socal!

Cassio

Smash Master
Yeah for some reason socal and West Coast either hasnt heard of or advertised this. This is a rare chance for us to play players that arent WC so Id think several people would come.

Also WC brawlers use aib way more than here, so itd be good to advertise on AIB. I can help, I have a group that sends out PM's to most of socal, so if someone were to write a short blurb about the tournament Id be able to send out a mass message to everyone. You should also make a tournament page on AIB so people can talk about carpools,teammates,etc there.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I thought MK was officially banned in the new unity rule set?

I mainly support the ban because of the results we are seeing at tournaments, MK nearly always wins.
Characters in Melee like Sheik and Fox have no bad-match ups, yet we don't see them always winning tournaments.

I'll throw another example out there, Toon Link is considered borderline high tier because of his overall match-ups, but he does have one bad match-up, MK.
As a result, none of the best TL players even made it out of pools at Apex.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Ultimate Decision

After consideration of Apex results, and the overall consensus of the Arizona, Southwest, and West Coast smash communities, NYTE WILL be held in DIRECT defiance of UNITY.

This was a decision that was not thought of lightly, and proposed a serious debate, but I feel that the metagame cannot develop being crutch upon by a poll that the country is split upon. Likewise, by banning Metaknight, we cater of course to the American crowd, but destroys our skill against international opponents, and bring a new surge of characters that people will play in lieu of MK (Olimar, Diddy). Many of you will disagree with me, and I understand this, but as I am the tournament organizer, this is my final decision.

With this in mind, I suggest all those who are still willing to go to NYTE to attend and pre-register early, before I increase the prices of pre-reg. Please go to the tournament page and sign up ASAP. Thank you.

Pre-reg link = https://www.wepay.com/xcbikc

~Elvis "Nicknyte" Thompson

Top Bottom