• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rebanning stages

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I think that many stages that are currently considered banned at tournaments are unjustly so, regardless of them being "gay" or "noob".

Stages that I think need to be looked at again:

• Corneria
  • Onett
  • Poke Floats
  • Mute City
  • Jungle Japes
  • Peach's Castle (Teams)

I'm simply looking for a reasonable answer to why these stages should be illegal for tournament use.

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
Because they give an "unreasonable advantage" to the person who loses and is counter-picking! lol!

For real, though, I think this is what I've heard about the stages:
- Corneria: Easy for camping and easy to kill off the top on the fin. Perfect for Fox. (you know, even though EVERYONE is given the same advantage)
- Onett: I think this is reasonably banned. It's seriously ridiculous how long you can stay alive without dying from a horizontal kill inside the little area. Especially against, say C. Falcon, a random knee won't get the kill like it usually will.
- PokeFloats: It's just messed up how some characters fall through Seel and stuff. :( 25% of your game lost because of a stage hazard? That's kinda messed up. Plus, I hear it's easy for Fox to camp. I mean, I get the stage hazard makes up for that a bit, but still.
- Mute City: I haven't really heard too much about this except that it's a "mini-FD with no ledges" and is really good for Jiggs and Peach.
- Jungle Japes: Klaptrap gets off sometimes, and I hear Fox can camp well here.
- Peach's Castle: Can't say much on this because I rarely play teams, and, if I do, it's usually a friendly at FD, lol.

This is all just what I've heard/believe with what I know (hence the lots of "I heard" stuffs) so yeah. Personally, I'm fine with Corneria and Mute City and maybe even Japes. I mean, I am a Fox main so having advantageous stages like that is good for me (lol), but they're not bad stages. Well, maybe Japes is. Onett just seems too easy to stay alive a long time if your opponent gets horizontal kills, and I personally lack EXP with Floats and Japes so I don't really want them that much.

I don't like the idea of banning stages because certain characters play too well on them. It takes away two good stages that would be perfectly legal enough for counter pick. Mute City changes the edgeguard/recovery game by taking away edges. Why not embrace this feature? If your character's recovery sucks so much, and your opponent relies on the edge to recover, that could be your ideal counter pick.

soju

SD God
Onett: Aka Headbutt City, Pikachu can **** you almost anywhere with his jab :3
Bthrow kills are way too easy here too. :D

Jungle Japes: Old Man Kong magically cursed this stage, anyone who is not Pikachu
will get butthurt by the water, Klaptraps, and yellow tails.

Peach's Castle: Mr. Bullet Bill likes to randomly say hello, he's kind and courteous
since he lets you know hes there. Pikachu likes to respond back by Usmashing and
Fsmashing people to greet him.

Corneria, PokeFloats, Mute City: The three stages making up Pikaland, Chu can camp, gimp,
flee, and just overall EFF you up with ease on these stages.

Too contain Pikachu's awesomeness, my friend, is the reason they banned the stages :D

Ben-Teezee

Smash Apprentice
I actually have had long talks about this with many of NYC's smashers and have debated this topic ALOT on these boards, the general consensus is that ppl think fox is such a strong character that their should be no stages that further enhance how strong he is.

IMO this is a dumb consensus as fox is strong on ANY stage regardless of the type of stage it is either by having enough space to run circles around u or it being too small and him being able to kill u as early as 85% from uair or upsmash.

Its ridiculous that are current stage structure was not only created by one person with no input from others but also by someone who has an extreme character bias and therefore banned a bunch of stages strictly because he felt like it.

The whole point of counter pick stages is to give characters stages that are in THEIR advantage to fight other characters on. the only stages left are those that are deemed fair ENOUGH but no stage is 100% fair anyways.

many players are too lazy to learn the counterpick stages and therefore dont support them in anyway shape or form, however ill enjoy watching ppl continue to lose to mango and hbox cuz all the have do is ban yoshis and there never at a disadvantage :p.

ill comment on the initial stages u listed and explain why they should be on and why the reason for them being off is in my opinion minor or doesnt matter. im gonna preface this by saying Fox should not be enough of a reason to ban so many stages (like dedede was in brawl). also gonna preface by saying chars i list may or may not be good on the stages listed but many ppl have different styles and Im just listing chars to kinda give u a visual of what i mean.

Corneria: this stage should be on to counter characters that have very strong horizontal kill moves but not very strong vertical kill moves (Marth, Shiek, Capt, Jiggs) as well as those that dont manuver around as well without platforms. as of right now theres no other stage wit a short ceiling to enable kills on floaty chars early except yoshis which most floaties ban anyways.
-reasons its banned: camping..... any char that gets camped gets camped just as hard on dreamland or PS by fox. low ceiling is similiar in comparison to yoshis, the top of the fin can be compared to the top platform on yoshis and is prob harder to get ppl into that position than it is on yoshis.
- was banned by plank for pound4 cuz hes a shiek main lolduh.

onett: was actually banned a while ago and is one of the few counterpick stages i support being banned because of the cars. unlike klaptrap in jungle japes the cars actually go through the playing field and they are extremely dangerous unlike the acid in brinstar which only can kill u well close to 200%.

pokefloats: i think this stage should be on as another low ceiling alternative.the small blast zones emphasize quick kills but the constant moving of the stage also helps those that like to keep space in between themselves and their opponents. the stage is good for chars with good air mobility and is a good counter for stationary chars or grab happy chars that need to stay grounded for an extended amount of time.
-reason stage is banned: prob fox again. this stage is in no way different from rainbow cruise, everything from the small blast zones to the stage always following a set path. rainbowcruise only has ledges during the boat phase and so I guess they decided to leave it. more ppl have probably fallen through the pendulum in rainbow cruise not knowing its a platform that u can fall through than they have through seel. I think spam timed someone out a long time ago here and ppl will never let it go ( as if that peach player from west coast didnt time out a ganon on kongo but hey guys CAMPING! /end sarcasm sry)
- banned for pound4 again lolshiekmains.

mute city: this stage is one that u wont find much support in convincing others. this stage alone has been the subject of much debate. I think the stage should be on simply so peach and jiggs mains have options. as of right now IMO they get brinstar banned against them and now they have to play on stages that dont necessarily give them the benefits they want (stages wit big blast zones are nice but i think the general consensus is theyll get camped to death on anything thats not FoD.) unfortunately the advantage mutecity gives to these chars would make it an auto ban against them and nothing that is autobanned always should be legal from a competitive point of view so again its hard to argue. armada further buried the argument by always cp mute at genesis and winning everytime eventually getting 2nd place, sure the argument is weaker now since he placed 4th at pound without it but its still a point to consider. I think there should be stages without ledges to punish chars that have excellent on stage game but very weak recovering moves (shiek, marth, capt, and many others) but mute city can be potentially too strong of a stage against them.
- banned for pound 4, but was hugely under debate prior to pound4 and was one of the few stages generally agreed upon to be banned b4.

Jungle Japes: 100% biased here as this is by far my favorite stage in the game. without a high platform its much harder to camp here than ppl believe as its not so easy to get off a side platform and the gaps in between make it risky to waste ur double jump. This stage is great for punishing chars with strong vertical recoveries (marth, g&w, any tether character) and has HUGE blast zones for chars who need more survivability.
-reason its banned: klaptrap. unfortunately hes a 1shot killer though at the points where he hits its hard to argue that ur not dead already. He can be teched which is a point for the stage but requires smash DI and seeing him coming the first of which can be learned but the 2nd is luck based cuz of the river and just unfortunate. However i will argue that for as many ppl who have been bitten by klaptrap ppl have prob UNINTENTIONALLY landed in the barrel in Kongo 64 and shot themselves to their death, or died from getting hit by the lava while its not visually above the stage and getting combo'd after on brinstar.
-banned for pound4 with no reasons given, i think he just wanted to get rid of everything similiar to how scar did for spoc, without creating major controversy so he left rainbow kongo and brinstar (idk i dont get his thinking)

peach's castle: hasnt been around for a while, not sure why. there should be more stages with walls but i guess fox scares ppl away from everything. bullet bill is 100% techable with no smash DI so idk this one just kinda fell off the map.

i hope this helps u understand some of the thinking for and against the stages. unfortunately unless someone like MLG comes back and brings back all the stages, theyre most likely not gonna come back. Only TO's have the strength to bring the stages back and I wish Apex would be bringing them back to sorta counter the strength pound4 took them away with but oh wells.

Hey if u host tournaments u can always put whatever stages you like :p

TL;DR - Fox should not be enough of a reason to ban every stage, bring some of them back :p

my solution: go back to old MLG format and enable two bans one for neutrals and one for counterpicks, this allows players to have some defense against stages but also allows for tons of options for char/stage/ and playstyle.

my solution: go back to old MLG format and enable two bans one for neutrals and one for counterpicks, this allows players to have some defense against stages but also allows for tons of options for char/stage/ and playstyle.
I love the double ban rule, but I think it should be for any combination of neutrals and sounterpicks (2 neutrals, 1 each, or both counter picks). It can allow you to counter pick the player. Like if they love neutral stages, you can take away 2 of their neutral stages. You'll be fighting against your opponent's preferences. The same thing can happen against people you know who love counter picks.

And having two counter picks solves the brokenness issue. Fox is really good on Pokemon Stadium and Corneria. Ban them both. Peach/Jigglypuff are really good on Mute City and Brinstar. Ban them both. Now that their two guaranteed best stages are gone, their third best stages are more up for debate and now counter picking against the opponent's character becomes much more of an option. (This applies more to non Fox/Jigglypuff/Peach)

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Onett...I think the biggest issue with that was the walk-off edges. (Waveshine, DK Throw, etc.)

Corneria- No reason it shouldn't be a cp

Mute City- It's not an auto-win, quite honestly

Japes- Practice hard enough and you'll do damage on this stage

Poke'floats- ugh....I hate this stage, but I don't see much reason to really ban it.

Peach's castle- not sure

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I agree the cars on onett are the worst part. The walk off edges and the walls aren't really an issue. My opinion is that both players have equal reaction to the warning and i've never seen a way to pin someone down so that they must get hit by the car or get hit by the opponent. If you can't avoid it, you can shield it.

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
me and many others believe that Mute City should be a legal counterpick.

the stage is mad legit.

sure, its like auto jiggs ****. but i kind of find it pretty good for falcon. and fox.
samus is a debatable one.

and corneria.. that would be the next one i would say would be good.. but it gives an already ridiculously overpowered character more advantages

JPOBS

Smash Hero
"Plank banned the stages at pound 4 and we shouldnt let one sheik main decide our stage list" isnt really an arguement for unbanning the stages.

That fact that pretty much every TO thereafter used his ruleset, only proves how good of a ruleset it actually is.

"Plank banned the stages at pound 4 and we shouldnt let one sheik main decide our stage list" isnt really an arguement for unbanning the stages.

That fact that pretty much every TO thereafter used his ruleset, only proves how good of a ruleset it actually is.
I say social inertia. When Plank started it at a super big tournament, a lot of TO's just followed him and other TO's just followed the followers.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I say social inertia. When Plank started it at a super big tournament, a lot of TO's just followed him and other TO's just followed the followers.
Possibly

but you really think tourny mainstays like Alexstfire and the Cataclysm team, who've been hosting tournies for years before pound 4, are stuck in social inertias well?

that would only really apply to new TOs. If anything, social inertia for other TOs would imply that they refuse to change their rulesets to the pound 4 ruleset, after all, they've been successful in the past.

thats how i see it anyway.

pockyD

Smash Legend
of course they followed... because the stage set was very popular with the players, and they want to draw attendees

plenty of tournaments have tried their own gimmicks before; for example, at FCD, battlefield was not a neutral.

If anything's clearly a bad change, it won't catch on

Possibly

but you really think tourny mainstays like Alexstfire and the Cataclysm team, who've been hosting tournies for years before pound 4, are stuck in social inertias well?

that would only really apply to new TOs. If anything, social inertia for other TOs would imply that they refuse to change their rulesets to the pound 4 ruleset, after all, they've been successful in the past.

thats how i see it anyway.
I forgot to mention my new point is mainly directed at new TO's, so you're right on that point.

I just think tournament host should try a bit of experimenting once in a long while. I would if I could host tournaments. Like test a 6 minute time limit instead of 8, bring back Mute City and Corneria, give players 2 bans. But sadly, the cost of experimenting is the absence of attendance.

The problem with tournament Smash is that there is no clear perfect ruleset. There's pros and cons to every change you can make. What's best is partly up to personal preference.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
do you mean 'unbanning' stages?
I'm looking for why those stages are banned. Even though they are already banned, the burden of proof is still on the pro-ban side.

Because i'm re-evaluating the bans, it is called Rebanning.

edit- and since time limits came up, i'll address that cause i've been wanting to. In every other fighting game the time limit is a real objective. When a character has a lead they should be allowed to camp. What I find disgusting about today's metagame and ruleset is that 8 minutes is practically unlimited time seeing as the average game lasts 3 minutes. You get things like a fox racking 100% up on a puff then the puff ignoring the fact that he is behind and continues range camping indefinitely. I only watched a few matches of evo this year, but i saw a few time outs if both players set up trenches. Why doesn't melee have a reasonable time limit?

mastermoo420

Smash Ace
and corneria.. that would be the next one i would say would be good.. but it gives an already ridiculously overpowered character more advantages
Someone kinda pointed this out earlier, but if a Fox lost... They're going to counterpick to want to win. Say they sandbagged the first match to be able to counterpick; they still have that loss and are going to have to win their CP and the opponent's CP. Tiers are important, but if the Fox is worse than the other person on a neutral (which is, by definition, neutral LOL), then it's completely fair.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Sveet is pretty much asking why they were legalized and banned again. (Although I didn't know Peach's Castle had that fate)

Some stages (Mute City, Floats, Corneria) are a bit on the suspect side as far as being banned. That's just my personal opinion, though.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
A tier list is based around a ruleset. Don't base the ruleset around the tier list. Don't be biased to characters or tournament results. Just look at whats competitively fair* and judge.

*Competitively Fair- Game outcome is within players' control and no strategy is unbeatable.

Ben-Teezee

Smash Apprentice
I'm looking for why those stages are banned. Even though they are already banned, the burden of proof is still on the pro-ban side.

Because i'm re-evaluating the bans, it is called Rebanning.

edit- and since time limits came up, i'll address that cause i've been wanting to. In every other fighting game the time limit is a real objective. When a character has a lead they should be allowed to camp. What I find disgusting about today's metagame and ruleset is that 8 minutes is practically unlimited time seeing as the average game lasts 3 minutes. You get things like a fox racking 100% up on a puff then the puff ignoring the fact that he is behind and continues range camping indefinitely. I only watched a few matches of evo this year, but i saw a few time outs if both players set up trenches. Why doesn't melee have a reasonable time limit?
in reference to the time limit i agree i like the pressure u feel in games like SF4 when ur behind but its like comparing apples to oranges. in smash a stock is equivalent to a round in SF, however we cant put time limits on individual stocks, also the rounds go buy in SF much faster than stocks do in smash (usually) and stocks duration do not have a limit someone can get gimped and die at 40, as well as live forever cuz of their DI and die at 200%.

On subject of Social inertias i do think theyre just following pound4. not because it works but because it was the biggest tourney in melee history. b4 pound 4 MLG rules were always used even though MLG dropped melee years ago because it was the biggest tournament and that was the ruleset used. PPL want to be prepared to play in the BIGGEST tournaments and therefore will attend tourneys wit the same rulesets. Its not necessarily what works, If plank had decided he wanted mushroom kingdom 2 to be a neutral for pound4 it would still be in the ruleset just because HE DECIDED. just because what u think he decided is fair doesnt change how the ruleset came to be.

Genny

Smash Rookie
Honestly it makes zero sense to have any of these stages banned besides Onett. Poke Floats follows a strict formula, Seel doesn't come at a random time and mess up your match, same with the Unowns. Onett is the only one that makes reasonable sense to ban since the cars deal a ton of knock-back (though it does give you plenty of warning). I have zero knowledge of doubles, so I can't speak for Peach's Castle, but the Bullet Bill might cause problems.

Anyway besides Onett and Peach's Castle (which I say because I have no clue about doubles) these should be valid counter-picks.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Possibly

Honestly it's gotten to the point with Melee where 90% of the people only want to play on maybe 10 stages and trying to add more than that just leaves you with a PM box full of complaints. If it were personally up to me I'd have many more stages on for Cat5 and any other tournament I run but if people aren't going to show up then what's the point. So while these stages may not be game breaking or even worthy of a ban in some cases, the majority wants them gone and that's how it's likely to stay.

what's the goal of lowering the time limit? are you hoping to encourage players to play campier?
My goal is actually to limit how much time two campers can out camp each other. 8 minutes is ridiculous. divide that by 4 and you get 2 minutes per stock. And if the game lasts that long, characters are probably living to about 200%. In a single minute, 100% is being dealt to an individual player. That means for every second, only about 2% of damage is dealt to a player. Most moves do about 10% damage so at the full 8 minute camping potential, a player gets hit at about the rate of 1 hit per 5 seconds. Double the previous numbers if you want to factor in the opponent.

An 8 minute campfest is so boring. People who play gay are going to play just as gay whether it's 8 minutes or 6 minutes. It's their style and strategy for how to win and they're going to use it in tournament sets. The problem with 8 minutes is that it allows super campers to camp up to too long of a time. It will slow down tournaments unnecessarily, especially if the campers are playing on recording set ups. There are players out there who want their youtube credit and if a pair of campers are playing on a recording set up, the waiting players are going to have to either skip the youtube credit for helping the tournament run well, or the can chose the opposite.

I haven't often played a game that lasted for more than 5 minutes, but I'm not sure if making the timer 5 minutes would be too extreme. Most games last for about 3 minutes if that means anything.

Maybe I take that last paragraph back?

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
My goal is actually to limit how much time two campers can out camp each other. 8 minutes is ridiculous. divide that by 4 and you get 2 minutes per stock. And if the game lasts that long, characters are probably living to about 200%. In a single minute, 100% is being dealt to an individual player. That means for every second, only about 2% of damage is dealt to a player. Most moves do about 10% damage so at the full 8 minute camping potential, a player gets hit at about the rate of 1 hit per 5 seconds. Double the previous numbers if you want to factor in the opponent.

An 8 minute campfest is so boring. People who play gay are going to play just as gay whether it's 8 minutes or 6 minutes. It's their style and strategy for how to win and they're going to use it in tournament sets. The problem with 8 minutes is that it allows super campers to camp up to too long of a time. It will slow down tournaments unnecessarily, especially if the campers are playing on recording set ups. There are players out there who want their youtube credit and if a pair of campers are playing on a recording set up, the waiting players are going to have to either skip the youtube credit for helping the tournament run well, or the can chose the opposite.

I haven't often played a game that lasted for more than 5 minutes, but I'm not sure if making the timer 5 minutes would be too extreme. Most games last for about 3 minutes if that means anything.

Being boring is not a reason to ban/change/do anything. If people want to play campy because of the fact that it's 'safer' or it's just their style then that's their right as long as it's within the rules of the tournament. Shortening the timer because you don't want to watch someone 'play gay' or because someone might not get time on a recording set-up is simply stupid. The timer being eight minutes has served everyone well for the last five years or so and there isn't any sort of justification for doing anything to it now. The timer isn't there as a deterrent, if I want to win all my matches by timing people out and can do so successfully then good for me. Regardless, this is Melee we're talking about here. Given the stage list that's currently being used it's pretty much impossible to use a strategy like that very well anyway.

Skler

Smash Master
Everyone in here is right, corneria being banned has nothing to do with how every game ends up becoming a campfest (with the camper winning) and the random ships that blow you up/carry you off stage.

Nothing to do with that, we just hate Fox. **** that guy, winning all those tournaments.

Codi

Smash Ace
Peach's Castle (Teams) only one i don't agree with

my reason a bomb comes and blows up in places and instant kills you. In teams there would be no chance of avoiding that lmao

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Everyone in here is right, corneria being banned has nothing to do with how every game ends up becoming a campfest (with the camper winning) and the random ships that blow you up/carry you off stage.

Nothing to do with that, we just hate Fox. **** that guy, winning all those tournaments.
Skler, I miss you!

kthxbye.

pockyD

Smash Legend

the thing is, 8 minute campfests very rarely exist because, since the timer seems so far away, players rarely attempt to approach it as a victory condition

if you shorten the timer, suddenly winning by time is closer to their grasp and it will become significantly more common to attempt to win by that condition

is that strictly a worse thing? no, not necessarily... but i personally definitely prefer victory by KOs to victory by time limit

to sum it up, somewhat counter-intuitively, the longer time limit helps matches stay shorter!

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Falling through Seel hasn't EVER happened to me.
Even when I tried to. Even in develop mode. I see how the devs missed it.
This is coming from a player who falls through Brinstar Depths 1 out of every 5 deaths.
Poke Floats follows the same patter every time despite it's lack of ledges and is easy to work around the lack of those ledges.
I don't see the purpose in banning it.

Jungle Japes in Melee has an audio cue when the Klaptrap spawns unlike Brawl to the right side of the screen and is easily avoidable if you are on the stage or higher.
The higher ceiling makes this a unique counterpick that should be used.

Mute City was banned unjustly. Peach and Jiggs having as much as an advantage as the Spacies on Corneria isn't ban worthy. That's CP worthy. If they had an advantage on par with say, Fox on YI Pipes, THAT would constitute a ban.

This is becoming as bad as the Tri-state Brawl players.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
the thing is, 8 minute campfests very rarely exist because, since the timer seems so far away, players rarely attempt to approach it as a victory condition

if you shorten the timer, suddenly winning by time is closer to their grasp and it will become significantly more common to attempt to win by that condition

is that strictly a worse thing? no, not necessarily... but i personally definitely prefer victory by KOs to victory by time limit

to sum it up, somewhat counter-intuitively, the longer time limit helps matches stay shorter!
I agreed with everything you said up to this point 100%.

But then you threw in some personal data and somewhere made the jump to that if you act this way then everyone will.

The fact of the matter is that the time limit in melee is almost pointless. When stocks last 30 seconds to a minute, giving a time limit of 2 minutes per stock is unreasonable. Personally i'm in favor of 1.25 or 1.5 minutes per stock time limit.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
I agreed with everything you said up to this point 100%.

But then you threw in some personal data and somewhere made the jump to that if you act this way then everyone will.

The fact of the matter is that the time limit in melee is almost pointless. When stocks last 30 seconds to a minute, giving a time limit of 2 minutes per stock is unreasonable. Personally i'm in favor of 1.25 or 1.5 minutes per stock time limit.
I guess all I have to say is why bother? The 8-minute limit isn't an issue so why are people trying to make it one? If most matches already end in 3-5 minutes shortening the timer to 6-minutes will do absolutely nothing except promote the exact type of game play you're trying to deter. If at the 5-minute mark it's tied with one stock each and I have a percent lead with a 6-minute timer I'm going straight into defense mode instead of trying to get the kill. That's going to likely end up making things take LONGER than they would have otherwise. With 8-minutes it's not even an option.

Seriously though why bother?

jugfingers

Smash Champion
I think that many stages that are currently considered banned at tournaments are unjustly so, regardless of them being "gay" or "noob".
you admit in your first post that these stages are both gay and/or noob

what other reason do you need.

look at other competitive fighting sports, ufc, boxing, sumo wrestling, martial arts

all flat rings that do not interfere with the fight.

look at the game of Chess
they play on the same stage everytime.

football,soccer,basketball,hockey all completely flat surfaces that don't interfere with the game.

the game of smash is 20,000 leagues under the sea deep.

playing on final d only wouldn't get boring.

final d and dreamland should be the only legal stages.

shoutouts to japan.

if you want other gay/noob stages to be legal because it adds more variety, then you are gay and or noob and should probably switch to brawl because they have lots of exciting stages with much better music and graphics.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I guess all I have to say is why bother? The 8-minute limit isn't an issue so why are people trying to make it one? If most matches already end in 3-5 minutes shortening the timer to 6-minutes will do absolutely nothing except promote the exact type of game play you're trying to deter. If at the 5-minute mark it's tied with one stock each and I have a percent lead with a 6-minute timer I'm going straight into defense mode instead of trying to get the kill. That's going to likely end up making things take LONGER than they would have otherwise. With 8-minutes it's not even an option.

Seriously though why bother?
Then why even have a time limit? Then there will never be a chance to time out a game.

toadturtle3

Smash Cadet
Peach's Castle is one of my favorite teams stages to play on. The two distinct sides promote a different dynamic from most other levels. often times two seperate 1v1 matches are taking place at the same time. Despite that, it's not difficult to hop over the center and help out or to escape the bullet bill if the situation calls for it. Infinites shouldn't happen because your teammate is there to help, the bullet bill is not hard to avoid, and if you're throw into it you still have a chance to tech and survive.

My one complaint about the level being added would be the buttons that can be hit on the stage. It causes a slight delay shortly after being pressed that can be annoying. Honestly though, I find that only a minor problem when compared to the good things the stage offers.

Onett, Japes, Pokefloats I don't find enjoyable at all. Corneria is enjoyable but my biggest gripe about the level is how much the fin area effects the gameplay. The camping potential doesn't bother me but I hate losing a stock and then being forced to descend into the wing area since I'm losing and my opponent won't fight me up top. I understand that there are certain skills for the wing, but sometimes it's ridiculous how much it can sway a match.

Pengie

Smash Lord
you admit in your first post that these stages are both gay and/or noob

what other reason do you need.
Because gay/noob are subjective terms and we shouldn't ban stages for subjective reasons

look at other competitive fighting sports, ufc, boxing, sumo wrestling, martial arts

all flat rings that do not interfere with the fight.

look at the game of Chess
they play on the same stage everytime.

football,soccer,basketball,hockey all completely flat surfaces that don't interfere with the game.
That's all well and good for those games and it works very well for them. Smash on the other hand isn't even close to those games so it is like comparing apples to oranges.

the game of smash is 20,000 leagues under the sea deep.
I agree 100 percent and stages are a large reason as to why it is so deep

playing on final d only wouldn't get boring.

final d and dreamland should be the only legal stages.
I don't see how people can't see that FD is probably one of the least balanced stages in the game. Of all the neutrals it's clearly the odd one out as far as characteristics go. I also don't understand why people hate camping so much and then go to the two stages that are the easiest to camp. What makes Dreamland and FD so much more neutral than say, Yoshi's and Battlefield?

shoutouts to japan.
sure why not

if you want other gay/noob stages to be legal because it adds more variety, then you are gay and or noob and should probably switch to brawl because they have lots of exciting stages with much better music and graphics.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Ironically, the stage list is just as bad(conservative/banhappy) in Brawl. Or Maybe it's because I live in Atlantic North.

WarriorKnight

Smash Ace
I actually have had long talks about this with many of NYC's smashers and have debated this topic ALOT on these boards, the general consensus is that ppl think fox is such a strong character that their should be no stages that further enhance how strong he is.

IMO this is a dumb consensus as fox is strong on ANY stage regardless of the type of stage it is either by having enough space to run circles around u or it being too small and him being able to kill u as early as 85% from uair or upsmash.

Its ridiculous that are current stage structure was not only created by one person with no input from others but also by someone who has an extreme character bias and therefore banned a bunch of stages strictly because he felt like it.

The whole point of counter pick stages is to give characters stages that are in THEIR advantage to fight other characters on. the only stages left are those that are deemed fair ENOUGH but no stage is 100% fair anyways.

many players are too lazy to learn the counterpick stages and therefore dont support them in anyway shape or form, however ill enjoy watching ppl continue to lose to mango and hbox cuz all the have do is ban yoshis and there never at a disadvantage :p.

ill comment on the initial stages u listed and explain why they should be on and why the reason for them being off is in my opinion minor or doesnt matter. im gonna preface this by saying Fox should not be enough of a reason to ban so many stages (like dedede was in brawl). also gonna preface by saying chars i list may or may not be good on the stages listed but many ppl have different styles and Im just listing chars to kinda give u a visual of what i mean.

Corneria: this stage should be on to counter characters that have very strong horizontal kill moves but not very strong vertical kill moves (Marth, Shiek, Capt, Jiggs) as well as those that dont manuver around as well without platforms. as of right now theres no other stage wit a short ceiling to enable kills on floaty chars early except yoshis which most floaties ban anyways.
-reasons its banned: camping..... any char that gets camped gets camped just as hard on dreamland or PS by fox. low ceiling is similiar in comparison to yoshis, the top of the fin can be compared to the top platform on yoshis and is prob harder to get ppl into that position than it is on yoshis.
- was banned by plank for pound4 cuz hes a shiek main lolduh.

onett: was actually banned a while ago and is one of the few counterpick stages i support being banned because of the cars. unlike klaptrap in jungle japes the cars actually go through the playing field and they are extremely dangerous unlike the acid in brinstar which only can kill u well close to 200%.

pokefloats: i think this stage should be on as another low ceiling alternative.the small blast zones emphasize quick kills but the constant moving of the stage also helps those that like to keep space in between themselves and their opponents. the stage is good for chars with good air mobility and is a good counter for stationary chars or grab happy chars that need to stay grounded for an extended amount of time.
-reason stage is banned: prob fox again. this stage is in no way different from rainbow cruise, everything from the small blast zones to the stage always following a set path. rainbowcruise only has ledges during the boat phase and so I guess they decided to leave it. more ppl have probably fallen through the pendulum in rainbow cruise not knowing its a platform that u can fall through than they have through seel. I think spam timed someone out a long time ago here and ppl will never let it go ( as if that peach player from west coast didnt time out a ganon on kongo but hey guys CAMPING! /end sarcasm sry)
- banned for pound4 again lolshiekmains.

mute city: this stage is one that u wont find much support in convincing others. this stage alone has been the subject of much debate. I think the stage should be on simply so peach and jiggs mains have options. as of right now IMO they get brinstar banned against them and now they have to play on stages that dont necessarily give them the benefits they want (stages wit big blast zones are nice but i think the general consensus is theyll get camped to death on anything thats not FoD.) unfortunately the advantage mutecity gives to these chars would make it an auto ban against them and nothing that is autobanned always should be legal from a competitive point of view so again its hard to argue. armada further buried the argument by always cp mute at genesis and winning everytime eventually getting 2nd place, sure the argument is weaker now since he placed 4th at pound without it but its still a point to consider. I think there should be stages without ledges to punish chars that have excellent on stage game but very weak recovering moves (shiek, marth, capt, and many others) but mute city can be potentially too strong of a stage against them.
- banned for pound 4, but was hugely under debate prior to pound4 and was one of the few stages generally agreed upon to be banned b4.

Jungle Japes: 100% biased here as this is by far my favorite stage in the game. without a high platform its much harder to camp here than ppl believe as its not so easy to get off a side platform and the gaps in between make it risky to waste ur double jump. This stage is great for punishing chars with strong vertical recoveries (marth, g&w, any tether character) and has HUGE blast zones for chars who need more survivability.
-reason its banned: klaptrap. unfortunately hes a 1shot killer though at the points where he hits its hard to argue that ur not dead already. He can be teched which is a point for the stage but requires smash DI and seeing him coming the first of which can be learned but the 2nd is luck based cuz of the river and just unfortunate. However i will argue that for as many ppl who have been bitten by klaptrap ppl have prob UNINTENTIONALLY landed in the barrel in Kongo 64 and shot themselves to their death, or died from getting hit by the lava while its not visually above the stage and getting combo'd after on brinstar.
-banned for pound4 with no reasons given, i think he just wanted to get rid of everything similiar to how scar did for spoc, without creating major controversy so he left rainbow kongo and brinstar (idk i dont get his thinking)

peach's castle: hasnt been around for a while, not sure why. there should be more stages with walls but i guess fox scares ppl away from everything. bullet bill is 100% techable with no smash DI so idk this one just kinda fell off the map.

i hope this helps u understand some of the thinking for and against the stages. unfortunately unless someone like MLG comes back and brings back all the stages, theyre most likely not gonna come back. Only TO's have the strength to bring the stages back and I wish Apex would be bringing them back to sorta counter the strength pound4 took them away with but oh wells.

Hey if u host tournaments u can always put whatever stages you like :p

TL;DR - Fox should not be enough of a reason to ban every stage, bring some of them back :p

^^ Compltely agrees*. The ones in red I wan't back the most. Seriously tho, i'm really disappointed with the current list of counterpick stages and I would really like it if a TO comes into this thread and takes all this into consideration (APEX). I'm also in favor of a lower time limit like 6 or 7 minutes. Definitely not in favor of the current ruleset since Pound 4.

Top Bottom