• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Real Men Use Items: Sakurai Explains the Friends List on Brawl

limitbreak

Smash Ace
<3

I enjoy these kinds of updates solely for the reactions of people here.

I treat the Dojo more as a "random facts about Brawl" site with some bonuses slapped in. Saves a lot of disappointment and caring.
Im gonna start viewing the dojo like you do. Im sick of waking up in the morning to find crap. Especially today, whata rippoff.

Rash

Smash Ace
As a December 3rd "potential MEGATON" update, this one fails.

However, looking at it without that expectation/bias, the update is actually one of the best in the last few weeks. Some of you just can't appreciate the little details that have gone into this feature.

The only downside to this online thing is the friend-code setup, and even that's bearable considering that this is Smash Brothers, which will probably be the most played game of the generation for Wii. Everything else gives me hope that the WiFi features in Brawl will not just be tacked on. While the setup and interface is simple, it's fully sufficient. The inclusion of a "connection-indicator" is just icing on the cake.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Translation

I'm whining and ungrateful because I was dumb enough to believe that today's update would be amazing because I, like most Americans, am too self-centered to know that the other countries' release dates wasn't December 3rd.
:D

Drake3

Smash Ace
*licks the tears of everyone whiner and person who expected a mind blowing update*
...That's pretty gross.

Everybody had a reason to expect something on this day, seeing as how NA is a huge potential market for this game. That's not to say I didn't expect anything on the old Japanese release date (and I don't think we got anything there either), but taking care of your customers is usually a good business strategy.

I guess he figured a playable demo was good enough. Oh well. And only the first part is directed at you, GrossKirby.

heytallman

CTALL
I was all excited, my heart was pounding as I walked into photoshop class. I walked in, booted up my Mac, and waited for it to start up. I opened up safari, typed in the URL with my mind racing. "What could it be," I thought. The page loads, and I find........friend codes. ****! I guess that's what I get for expecting something huge...

FerretStyle

Smash Apprentice
<3

I enjoy these kinds of updates solely for the reactions of people here.

I treat the Dojo more as a "random facts about Brawl" site with some bonuses slapped in. Saves a lot of disappointment and caring.
Agree 100%

How can people actually expect amazing updates at this point? You'd think they would learn...

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I don't know about you guys, but Sakurai gave me a little more in this update then he intended. Not only do I get a Brawl Update, I get a day off of school. I think it's an excellent trade-off.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I'm actually surprised nobody has commented on the name of one of the users.

Grit from Advance Wars confirmed. XD

Anth0ny

Smash Master
The day that we could have gotten Brawl...we are treated to this? And I stayed up until 2 A.M as well!

Thank God it's a snow day XP

Malificent

Smash Apprentice
i cried a little bit inside when I saw the update today. it could have atleast been a new stage or assist character.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
if real men use items, does that mean the females will be unable to use items?

so not only does this update suck, its also sexist. screw you, dec 3rd.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
...That's pretty gross.

Everybody had a reason to expect something on this day, seeing as how NA is a huge potential market for this game. That's not to say I didn't expect anything on the old Japanese release date (and I don't think we got anything there either), but taking care of your customers is usually a good business strategy.

I guess he figured a playable demo was good enough. Oh well. And only the first part is directed at you, GrossKirby.
LOL @ GrossKirby

Not everybody expected an amazing update. only AMERICANS expected it because most of them like to be spoon fed everything.

And the drinking tears comment came from Cartman when he made some guy eat parents. lol

Gill

Smash Journeyman
This is probably the worst update yet. At least the widescreen update was so ridiculous it was sorta funny. This is something we already knew. Then again we did get a new fad phrase. I giggle every time somebody screams REAL MEN USE ITEMS REAL MEN USE ITEMS.

Casual players are in a froth over their new 'ammunition.'

FalcoChamp

Smash Apprentice
we coulda had brawl today.......
I shall cry tonight.
I think the online will be good if you can invite friends who are just playing the game, not necessarily online. There also needs to be a way to get to the message board ingame

kaydon_esker

Smash Apprentice
Weirdly enough, this actually brightened up my day. When I saw the update I burst out laughing and still have a smile on my face because of everyone who'd expected a great update today (I know I hoped for one as well, but more because of the "first update of the month" than American release date).

Desh.

Smash Lord
lol i've been saying this from the start >.< sakurai wants to kill competitive smash.why? no clue.
he brings back like the worst banned stage evar. he makes one of the most vital differences based on items (wich are banned). a lot of stages he makes are probably going to be banned (norfair and the ic one).

and now he takes a shot at us with "real men use items"

coincidence? i think not.
but this is imho.

Rash

Smash Ace
Not everybody expected an amazing update. only AMERICANS expected it because most of them like to be spoon fed everything.
You're criticism of Americans seems a little unfounded, especially on this matter.

America is the biggest market for Smash Brothers, bar none. That's indisputable now. If you look at the Japanese and then look at sales of Wii games, especially in comparison to American sales, everything becomes clear. A great example is Mario Galaxy, which got the reception it deserved, sales-wise, in America, but remains not even in the top ten in Japan in favor of games like what, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics? With Nintendo games, it just seems like the Japanese haven't been buying up the heavy-hitters as much as Americans. In fact, I'm pretty sure Zelda, Mario, and Metroid have all sold better in America (but you can correct me if I'm wrong). At this point it's easier to think Smash will see more success in America than anywhere else because of it being the last of the heavy-hitters, thus a potential reason arises to please American gamers.

Yeah, maybe it was a bit much to want a MEGATON December 3rd update. But honestly, that was the original release date of the game, and the only release date given by Sakurai. You can't blame some of us for expecting something big because of that, especially after the long period of updates without new/returning characters, stages, etc.

Sieged Eagle

Smash Cadet
In a small, unobstrusive office hidden beneath Len
Ah God, I can think a lot of people (Including me) will turn this phrase online into a fad when everyone gets to play online. I hope Sakurai isn't too much of a prick and let us see the user mottos of the random people online.

And just so you guys know, these are some of the online mottos I will use...
"OBJECTION!" (It's going to be one of my taunts too)
"Real men use items!" (Read the beggining)
"Real men wear people!" (Please, for the sake of manness, don't ask me why I'll use it...)
"<Insert famous Portal reference here>"

By the way, I have returned after a week of absence. I've been too busy lately.

Youkai Master

Smash Apprentice
I really hope you can have all the options of a normal VS battle, not just 2 minute fights...

I'm guessing you can change stuff when you're creating a game and hosting it, but they didn't show anything so >_> ...

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Of course they didn't show how to change stuff when you're creating a game, they need that for another update :p

Seriously though, I rofl'd when I saw this update, I knew it wasn't gonna be big at all.
I enjoyed the update itself though, I liked the humor. And I think it's nice to see connection quality and all that.

Oh well, at least 15 December we'll know at least the starting roster :D

Sieged Eagle

Smash Cadet
I really hope you can have all the options of a normal VS battle, not just 2 minute fights...
We all know the online rooms will have more options besides timed fights. I know Sakurai, he's the man who always has something surprising under his sleve...
I'm guessing you can change stuff when you're creating a game and hosting it, but they didn't show anything so >_> ...
Oh, you bet we'll have item switch and such, my Venezolan friend...

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
*Sighs* Too many people are making too big of deal one random phrase in a update as usual, but this isn't even a phrase that Sakurai was using in a descirption this time. Now it's just a random meanless phrase in the screenshot itself.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
You're criticism of Americans seems a little unfounded, especially on this matter.
Too bad it holds true to most Americans. And yes, I'm an American myself

America is the biggest market for Smash Brothers, bar none. That's indisputable now. If you look at the Japanese and then look at sales of Wii games, especially in comparison to American sales, everything becomes clear. A great example is Mario Galaxy, which got the reception it deserved, sales-wise, in America, but remains not even in the top ten in Japan in favor of games like what, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics? With Nintendo games, it just seems like the Japanese haven't been buying up the heavy-hitters as much as Americans. In fact, I'm pretty sure Zelda, Mario, and Metroid have all sold better in America (but you can correct me if I'm wrong). At this point it's easier to think Smash will see more success in America than anywhere else because of it being the last of the heavy-hitters, thus a potential reason arises to please American gamers.
I think it's because America has a larger population than Japan so that's why games sell better in America.

Yeah, maybe it was a bit much to want a MEGATON December 3rd update. But honestly, that was the original release date of the game, and the only release date given by Sakurai. You can't blame some of us for expecting something big because of that, especially after the long period of updates without new/returning characters, stages, etc.
It was still based off assumption though. And we all know what happens when someone assumes.

Sieged Eagle

Smash Cadet
*Sighs* Too many people are making too big of deal one random phrase in a update as usual, but this isn't even a phrase that Sakurai was using in a descirption this time. Now it's just a random meanless phrase in the screenshot itself.
You should see the amount of people using the phrase on Gamefaqs. It won't surprise me if I see a Youtube of that phrase, or a YTMND, or even better (or worser), a 4chan meme.

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
The inclusion of a "connection-indicator" is just icing on the cake.

No, the connection indicator is headlights on the car. Every nintendo wifi game I have EVER SEEN has this feature.

Oh wait you mean seeing the FRIENDS' connections. I'm still not very impressed.

Rash

Smash Ace
Any update that makes people speculate about mundane details is big.

Oh wait, no. That can't be. Every update is like that. :p

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, if you look at the Dojo as basically an encyclopedia of Smash information and that they want to have everything you'd need to find your way around the game when it comes out, the updates like this and others start to make a lot more sense.

Sieged Eagle

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised the Drill Dozer assist trophy hasn't been posted yet. I recall seeing a Youtube with people playing the demo at E For All and she came out of one of the trophies. Maybe Sakurai thinks there is no need to post her on the AT list in the blog, as many people already know she is going to be one of them.

It might end up as a filler update though, but then again, stop the complains of people who want a new character in the game...

Top Bottom