• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rawful of Smash Winston-Salem NC 5/16-17 Smash, AH, MvC2, TvC!

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
We were trying to find something better than the ledge grab rule because it doesn't solve the problem. It just makes it ok to plank 69 times.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
More planking doesn't solve anything.
Planking by zero is what brought this issue up in the first place. Therefore I would say that more planking could make the issue more important and could lead to solution.

Unfortunately, I will admit, that it could lead to a problem such as that described by yayuhzz where the tournament scene dies.

Maybe more planking could be bad and will only make it worse but to say that it doesn't solve anything is too one sided and ignores the possible benefits.

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
Ledge grabbing rule solves the problem. You cannot camp the edge if you have a limit on how many times you can grab it per match. Brawl is a defensive game anyway, there's not much you can do to make someone approach you via the rules.
Plankers generally make sure they have the lead (no matter how small) before they start actually camping the edge.

Since the person planking has the lead, their opponent has to either put himself in a disadvantageous position by approaching or lose by letting time run out.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
I know how planking works, my friend, I mained Meta Knight when I played the game. The fact is, he can't sit on the ledge the entire match with that rule in place. But, he's not FORCED to approach you either, so it's basically you being in a disadvantageous situation either way, except the ledge one is a lot worse. You cannot make him come to you. Brawl is a defensive game at heart, so the MK, if he absolutely doesn't have to, will not approach you.

The only way to completely remedy the problem of defensive MKs pissing you off is to ban the character. You just cannot set an arbitrary rule and expect pleasant results, because everyone has their own opinion on the matter. I know I wouldn't go to a tournament if I was a defensive MK main if there was a chance I'd get DQ'd because someone THOUGHT what I was doing was planking, and I'm sure others feel the same way. You need a rule SET IN STONE that people can follow, or else there will be problems.

BEHR

Smash Hero
My Two Cents.

Be a Man and attack.

cant you just spam an Arrow if you are pit to stop planking or a stomp if you are Ganon?

a homing missile if you are Samus?

There must be at least one frame to interrupt planking.

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
has anyone ever seen camping or planking or release grabs or chaingrabs galore in a doubles match?

that **** does not happen because you cant do it... if metaknight planks in doubles you **** up his teammate

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
I know how planking works, my friend, I mained Meta Knight when I played the game. The fact is, he can't sit on the ledge the entire match with that rule in place. But, he's not FORCED to approach you either, so it's basically you being in a disadvantageous situation either way, except the ledge one is a lot worse. You cannot make him come to you. Brawl is a defensive game at heart, so the MK, if he absolutely doesn't have to, will not approach you.

The only way to completely remedy the problem of defensive MKs pissing you off is to ban the character. You just cannot set an arbitrary rule and expect pleasant results, because everyone has their own opinion on the matter. I know I wouldn't go to a tournament if I was a defensive MK main if there was a chance I'd get DQ'd because someone THOUGHT what I was doing was planking, and I'm sure others feel the same way. You need a rule SET IN STONE that people can follow, or else there will be problems.
I was focusing on how you said "there's not much you can do to make someone approach you via the rules."

In this new post though, you are pretty much saying that Meta will make you approach. Were you talking about the non-planker in that first comment, because it doesn't seem clear.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
has anyone ever seen camping or planking or release grabs or chaingrabs galore in a doubles match?

that **** does not happen because you cant do it... if metaknight planks in doubles you **** up his teammate
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

doubles>singles

ptown

Smash Ace
good stuff.

kids & other random tourney people-you're turning old.

pp-you are informed. if you give me information, my **** gauge will increase. just warning you, man. btw, i'm getting my copy of melee back for the rest of the summer! i'm probably going to play it some.

people i came with-thx 4 da ryde. we close. i luv teams.

mask-you're the best last-minute team mate. i needed some warm-up to move real fast and stuf. but you held it down real nice. and as boss hog, nc's finest trend setter/phrase-maker 3000 would say, you "stacked it up". you pick a real man's character. nc is proud of you. douglas j. falcon is proud of you. and nice hair, brere.

ace-thx 4 the ride. gg, falcon tourney man. i respect your character choice. ganon is falcon's father.

dolph lundgren-ben a long time, bruh. melee is pretty fun.

crio-you and your surprise visit brought me back a piece of dat suh-weet sc land. thank you and dream big.

tourney host-thx for opening your house.

rall-e people-good luck, knorr with capcom; i'ma play some king of fighters or somethin. karn and malk have hair growin' out they face. always a pleasure.

other people-i forgot you. memory sucks.

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
why does it seem like bill is the only person to get planked?

Notable Plankings (that i can remember)

1)Bill vs Flamingo
2)Bill vs Flamingo
3)Bill vs Flamingo
4)Rag vs Flamingo
5)Bill vs Zero
6)Bill vs Flamingo

lord karn

Smash Master
We should all just switch to to B+ and not get planked! J/k . . . Kind of

I think Pikachu is the only (viable) character that can definitely prevent MK from planking, because his jolts stick to the wall of the edge. Any other attempt to abuse MKs vulnerability frames can be countered purely reactively by an uair. However, if someone is planking for an entire match it's almost certain they will make at least a couple mistakes making them vulnerable for a few frames. With this in mind, Snake, ROB, Diddy and maybe a few others can at least do something if MK planks, which might be enough if he only has a few percent lead. However, there are still some characters that can do absolutely nothing about it even if MK messes up a little bit, like Olimar and Falco.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
My Two Cents.

Be a Man and attack.
You sir have secured a spot in the Bro Rankings in the near future.

ace-thx 4 the ride. gg, falcon tourney man. i respect your character choice. ganon is falcon's father.
Thanks, Peter. I shouldn't have said anything about my poor performance first round. You are the man and your Falcon OANS. And yea those falcon dittos were very intense haha. I hope you to play you again soon. Be sure to keep your eye on the Bro Rankings :chuckle:

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
Hmm, challenge accepted. PLUR said he wanted Brawl help.

PLUR, I shall teach you the ways of Brawl Falcon (or whoever else you want, but seriously, it's Falcon).

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
I do already.

I usually greet new smashers.
conversely, I'm an evil ******* who gives the Ganon death stare to anyone that I don't personally know on a first / last / home, cell, and emergency phone number basis.

edit: they censor the word bastard. gayyy.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
Sagemoon said:
So first off let me tell you about a tournament I once played; I entered both singles and doubles when I overheard a conversation. "Hey are you entering singles and doubles?" The other guy said he was planning on winning money from doubles to pay for his singles entry fee. The Tournament Director okay'd it and said he would DQ him if he didn't pay the money. Well after he didn't win doubles he realised he couldnt come up with the money to pay for singles. Since he didnt wanna get DQ'd he shouted out a challenge "Hey some noob money match me I need 5 dollars. You all want to get better right? So challenge me or else you won't". He eventually got a challenge from a less skilled player and wound up winning the match and earning what he needed to pay entry fee.

Okay now let me tell you a story about the last time I went to a Go tournament (strategy board game, if you don't know what it is, look it up). So I walk in, and look around. Now I'm not very great at this game, I'm still an amateur. However, almost immediately I was approached by a professional asking me if I wanted to play a match. During the match he coached me, pointing out key ideas in the game to help me improve. I make visits to the Seattle Go Center occasionally, but almost every time the visits are similar to the first. A better player is taking time out of his schedule to help me improve and spread Go to more communities. By the way, the Seattle Go Center lets people come play for free for the first 10 visits. Otherwise its only around 3.50 a day.

I feel like the smash community gives a somewhat negative aura to beginning players that drive them away from the tournament scene. Forums are starting to become elitist and dismissing new players questions by telling them to "use the search function". It really becomes detrimental to the community because it drives away new players. Same with using a bottom tier character (depending on your attitude about it) just to prove that you can beat them so badly with the worst character. It doesn't matter if you're good or not. No one really cares for people who go on and on about how they are the best at the game and whatnot. If you're truely good, people will talk about you. No need to shove it in peoples face.

So to the main point of the article. My challenge to the community is to help spread the culture of the community to new players. Take your time to coach a new player and teach him the game. If you're a tournament host, let new players join their first tournament for free (or a reduced price) to help bring them into the community. Chances are, a new face isnt going to win a tournament, so why not get them interested in the game and let them enjoy their first experience? If they find it enjoyable, they will return for a 2nd time. Learn new players by their name, don't just refer to them as a "random". Invite new players into carpools so they can get the experience of traveling. Maybe one of those "randoms" will contribute back the community by providing an additional carpool. I challenge you to invite players into rotations (a lot of new players are shy and don't know to call next match). Or even better, give up your spot in a rotation to allow for a newer player to get a match.

I'm kind of guilty of this sometimes when it comes to tournaments. I am normally to focused on the tournament to meet new faces and help people. It's something I'm going to be working on myself (if I go back into the tournament scene that is). On aim I normally try to help out everyone that messages me, giving them suggestions to help improve their game. My main focus is on tournaments though, I really think that by making the scene more noob friendly, it will grow and become better as a whole.

Any other comments, suggestions, or challenges are welcome, I'll try to update this blog with quotes from other people.

Uffe's challenge:If someone is willing to learn how to use their character properly, a person who also mains that character should try and help them out. Even if they don't main the same character, at least give them advice and point out their flaws in a more nicer manner than pointing out their flaws and telling them they suck.
For those of you who wont click on the link

I totally agree with this and actually Pac! was my first opponent and he did exactly what this blog talks about

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yea the Bro Rankings are a work in progress. I forgot about Pac, but I want to count tourney attendance somewhat. Like I said, the rankings panel is open to suggestions :chuckle:

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i use to.. pretty sure i taught you stuff about peach when you were a n00b:)
haha munk comes from nowhere to post again? nice seeing you back...I'm itching for another munkaid :laugh:.

and you definitely did, it was you that turned me into the smasher I am today :bee: even if I mainly play brawl now :dizzy: kudos munk. ^.^

Dublio

Smash Ace
Thanks for the matches Dr. Peepee, I'm glad to have finally met you too. I don't remember calling you cheap or gay though. I'm also glad that I recorded my three friendlies against you, now I can see why I was ***** so hard by you.

Thanks for playing friendlies/Tourny matches with me Philmaster, PIE, Crio, Vilt, Karn, Zerogamer, and anyone else I missed. It's nice to play all the different kinds of smashers and such.

Phil, thanks for the Pika dittos, they were massive loads of fun.

Crio, kudos for maining random in tourny, a rarely seen feat.

PIE! You main Ganondorf, thats epic enough in itself. Ganondorf + other dittos were even more awesome as well.

Zerogamer, thanks for the friendlies, keep up the massive delicious goodness.

Vilt, you're a bro, thanks for taking us out to eat and playing in tourny, yay for Diddy, learn to do that glide toss more consistantly mkay? Still thought that tripping kill on delfino was hilarious. xD

Karn, thanks again for the friendlies, I'm hopefully improving a little bit every time I play you. Always a pleasure. =3

Vilt

Smash Lord
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=20510

i think nc should follow this advice :x
I tell new players how to counter me in a match or some advice on their character. Like the "M2K" guy at Rawfulz. I saw that he didn't attack when he was hitting the ground and told him how you got no landing lag if he did that and he listened and thanked me. He ended up beating me cause of it. xD I dun care tho. It was good **** and I was working on Diddy.

Top Bottom