• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
sbeve

Chance: 65%. By all accounts, Steve is pretty much the single most deserving Smash Bros. character (at least out of third parties)... ever. A lot of people want him, a lot of people know what Minecraft is, it's been around for over a decade so it's had time to prove it was no mere flash in the pan. Minecraft is an international phenomenon, and in general will not just be a defining moment in gaming history, but it'll probably end up on the outright history books. And where would any Smash contender be without movesets? Friggin Master Chief, the Master Chief that defined first person shooters, is still only the second most likely Microsoft character, because he doesn't hold a candle to the crafting king. Steve is only 65% because while I did say a lot of people want him, he isn't an outright "fan-favorite" the way Banjo was, or Waluigi is. While there used to be a ****load of people who were opposed to him, most seemed to have cooled off (either through genuine acceptance or, if nothing else, not being able to remove Banjo from the running anymore). He's still western, but the bridge between Microsoft in particular has already slowed down the struggle. That being said, if he gets in it's not surprising, but if he doesn't get in it's also not too surprising. And nobody's saying he can't get secondary-content-ed.

Want: 55%. Minecraft in Smash is something I go hot-and-warm (seriously wanting to being alright with) all the time. Right now I'm in a warm phase, where I like the idea but Steve isn't somebody I'd outright root for. That being said, I'm down for it. There's bunches of moveset concepts, the stage potential is phenominal, and hey, even the usually unfitting tunes can be given a remix or two to become some of the best bops in Smash's time. The game's revolutionary for a reason.

Frisk x 5. Mostly First Party is far more likely than entirely, so I'm gonna go with a 68.59%.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
well as i dont play fps im not looking
Basically, Doom defined the shooters where you fight with medikits and ammo around the place. While resource management is always a good challenge, this can "softlock" players who end up with so little hp they almost can't feasibly progress anymore.

Halo introduced regenerating shields to solve this issue. After a few seconds without taking damage, your shields rapidly regenerated to full, allowing you to jump back into the fray. This inspired the infamous "hide, breathe a bit and all your wounds have magically healed" mechanic! While in Halo there's a perfectly valid reason for that, most modern shooters just shamelessly use it with no explanation. Regardless, with this mechanic in their toolbox, designers can now create levels, challenges and bosses around players at full HP instead of a player in a constantly unknown state.

Well, there's more stuff of course but to me, this is the most striking and impactful one. Enough I hope to explain why Master Chief is important.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Block Man

Chance: 25%
Oof. . . this rating is honestly tough to decide. One the one hand, it's pretty hard to understate the sheer popularity and success that Minecraft has had over the years. On the other hand, lack of Smash-specific support, particularly in Japan. I definitely do see the possibility, but I'm not entirely sure whether or not Nintendo or Sakurai and his team would go for Steve.

Want: Abstain.
I'm on of the (apparently) few people who's never played Minecraft, so I don't really have much of an opinion on the game. No want rating from me.

Nominating Concept: Person of colour x5.

Predicting the primarily first party pass to get a chance of around 17.63%.

Concerning the side quests and the gacha, I actually liked the few Blades you obtained through side quests. Those allowed some world building and the Blades felt much more "unique" rather than "oh welcome rare blade #11, sit there in the dust with the rest I'm just collecting you all". In that aspect, I felt like it was on par with if not better than XC1's sidequests. It's unfortunate this wasn't the norm. The gacha system made collecting the Blades a chore rather than something fun like in Pokémon or Shin Megami Tensei (and thus Persona).

But while this is true, XC2 did improve on other aspects. XC1 had you "cycle" through the skills to get what you wanted which doesn't feel as fluid and could get you into trouble if you really needed a certain skill at a certain time (like during a topple combo, or a heal). XC2's system improved on this by giving you access to them at any time. The elements in that chain system were like a mini-game to get the "finish" you wanted and you could actually dodge attacks this time around (you couldn't dodge most of them in XC1). Honestly, there was little room for boredom and iddleness in battle in XC2. Meanwhile, XC1 was more like "it's pointless to move, can't dodge anyway, so I'll just sit there and wait for the cds".

I understand some of your points and while I don't dislike Rex, I also don't like him. He's a kid so you can't expect him to be mature but him being a kid is a choice made by the dev team in the first place. They could've gone with a better MC. But I do disagree when you say XC2 didn't improve anything and is inferior in every way. Regardless, I'd rather the next XC rep be someone other than Rex, and I'm not sure "Blade duo" reps XC as a whole for some reason. It'd probably be cool to play in Smash but I'd rather have something else first before going into representing a specific aspect of one single game in the franchise.
You mean the likes of Vess, the one you have to pay 1.000.000 for, and whatever the name of that one with the fox mask was? I'll agree that those were marginally better than the vast majority of all the gacha Blades, but honestly not by much. The fundamental issue with Blades for me simply is that by their very nature their entire existance is solely defined and confined to the party, with them having no real life outside of that, which is making it incredibly hard for me to actually care about them. The slight exception to that are of course the non-random Blades you mentioned, but even then, their past serves as little more than window-dressing, like when Vess doesn't really react or care to her former family. After X, and especially the original featured such a detailed affinity chart with NPC relationships that could develop over the course of sidequests, it's just inarguably a huge step backwards.

I'll grant you that the entire "circling through arts" is not that well handled, though. If anything, I think that Monolith should take a look at how Shulk is handled in Smash Ultimate and introduce something like an art wheel, though I suppose that wouldn't work best with joy cons having no D-pad.
Generally though the problem for me isn't that there aren't improvements over the other two games - stuff like tombstones for unique monsters are fantastic, for example, it's just that these get overshadowed so much for me that they don't really make up for anything.
I'm not really sure what you mean by dodging attacks in 2's battle system, because I don't remember anything like that, despite putting over 150 hours into that game.

And being a kid doesn't absolve Rex of bad writing or any of his other issues, so I really don't see what were you getting at with that.

Anyway, there's no need for you to respond to this. This conversation really doesn't need to drag out any further into the current day.

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
Steve-Minecraft
Chance:50%
I can definitely see a toss up with this guy. Minecraft is basically a giant success story in every sense of the word often in the tops of many best-sellers despite being over a decade old. It's impact on the gaming landscape can't be understated. On the other hand with all the stuff involving the character rights it's probably going to take some work to get the thumbs-up
Want:75%
I'd definitely play as block man just for a Herobrine skin. Also I want to see the potential with his moveset given the vast amount of creativity involved in his adventure.

Nom: Nightmare(SoulCalibur)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Basically, Doom defined the shooters where you fight with medikits and ammo around the place. While resource management is always a good challenge, this can "softlock" players who end up with so little hp they almost can't feasibly progress anymore.

Halo introduced regenerating shields to solve this issue. After a few seconds without taking damage, your shields rapidly regenerated to full, allowing you to jump back into the fray. This inspired the infamous "hide, breathe a bit and all your wounds have magically healed" mechanic! While in Halo there's a perfectly valid reason for that, most modern shooters just shamelessly use it with no explanation. Regardless, with this mechanic in their toolbox, designers can now create levels, challenges and bosses around players at full HP instead of a player in a constantly unknown state.

Well, there's more stuff of course but to me, this is the most striking and impactful one. Enough I hope to explain why Master Chief is important.
i never asked for you to explain it nor did i say MC wasnt important

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
The Thing That Vergeben Was Wrong About
Chance: I'm too biased against character to properly rate him
Want: 0%
Banjo is in now, and Minecraft was one of the reasons Banjo was even able to make it in. Does that mean I think Steve should be in now? Heck no. I don't care how successful or popular or iconic or good Minecraft is, there's one thing that will keep this score at 0, the Steveposters.
For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, let's just say that going through a year of
"GOOD MOOOOOOOOOOOOOORNING, /v."
does not leave you with a positive opinion on the character.
Also, Minecraft doesn't really have a good music selection in terms of songs that would fit in Smash.

FP2M1P prediction: 50%
Noms: Upgraded Spirit x5

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
The Thing That Vergeben Was Wrong About
Chance: I'm too biased against character to properly rate him
Want: 0%
Banjo is in now, and Minecraft was one of the reasons Banjo was even able to make it in. Does that mean I think Steve should be in now? Heck no. I don't care how successful or popular or iconic or good Minecraft is, there's one thing that will keep this score at 0, the Steveposters.
For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, let's just say that going through a year of does not leave you with a positive opinion on the character.
Also, Minecraft doesn't really have a good music selection in terms of songs that would fit in Smash.

FP2M1P prediction: 50%
Noms: Upgraded Spirit x5
You sure that's not a Billy Hatcher fan you're quoting?

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
i never asked for you to explain it nor did i say MC wasnt important
Sorry if I offended you. Since you said you thought Doom defined FPS and saw little innovation in FPS since due to lack of interest, I simply figured I'd share my thoughts based on what you said.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Minecraft Steve

WANT: 90%, I tend to want characters who are legendary. And he is legendary. The thing is, he has a huge movepool potential, but does he 'need' to be a cahracter or could be be..

Mii Upgrade Change: 75%
This is a huge character, but I truly feel any character who can be passed off to a Mii Upgrade, will (sorry Geno).
Maybe we will see Mii Upgrades start to come with more- signature moves, or a stage themselves.

Chance as a Fighter: 20%
It could still happen, I just think it's much less likely if they actually name the Mii Upgrades (meaning, just have the names announced).

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I know I said I was gonna end the day Monday morning, but based on the thread activity as well as yet another possible Direct announcement tomorrow, I'm probably gonna end it Tuesday morning right after 11 am EST.

If some of you already rated Steve, remember that you start writing up your thoughts on Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is mostly first-party in advance and SmashBoards will save your draft to post later. Click the little save icon when typing text to save it, but don't post it until the next day starts.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I know I said I was gonna end the day Monday morning, but based on the thread activity as well as yet another possible Direct announcement tomorrow,
Do...

Do you know something I don't?

CAN I KNOW TOO??!? :4larry:

amageish

Smash Master
I truly feel any character who can be passed off to a Mii Upgrade, will (sorry Geno).
What do you mean by "Mii Upgrade"? Sorry, I haven't heard the term before...

Where do we find the nomination list?
i Have a few
Here! GoodGrief posts them daily-ish, so it should never be too far back to find. That said, Steve has been a weirdly busy day...

Dr. Eggman x111
Meowth x110
[Rerate] Kratos x100
[Rerate] Lip x100
D.Va x100
The Stretchers x100
Zelda (BotW sequel) x95

100 - 51

Concept: Upgraded Spirit x90
Concept: Pokémon Mystery Dungeon content x81
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Moogle x80
Proto Man x75
Nate Adams x75
Tidus x75
Red (Angry Birds) x70
Alex Mason x70
Fulgore x64
Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors) x60
[Rerate] Frisk x60
Boss: Ender Dragon x58
Shuichi Saihara x55
Concept: A person of color x55

50 - 25

Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x50
Mii Costume: Jill Stingray x50
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x50
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x45
Concept: Content from currently unreleased game (not Spirit Events) (as of May 17th 2020) x45
The Terrarian x45
[Rerate] Captain Toad x45
Echo: Dark Bowser (Bowser) x39
Echo: Lord Fredrik (King K. Rool) x35
Stage: Bowser's Castle x35
Echo: Xion (Sora) x35
Gooigi x32
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x31
[Rerate] Saki Amamiya x30
Urbosa x30
Sakura Shinguji x30
Giygas x28
Concept: Assist Trophies added in updates x27
Rival Pokémon Trainer x25

Under 25

Concept: Returning stages x21
[Rerate] Nightmare x20
Jin Sakai x20
Concept: More ATs as one new item x20
Diablo (Diablo) x20
Concept: Dark Souls rep x20
Zeraora x15
Black Shadow x15
[Rerate] Paper Mario x15
Concept: No Spirit promotions x15
Wolf Link x15
[Rerate] Ezio x15
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x10
[Rerate] Agumon x10
[Rerate] Monokuma x10
Gran/Djeeta x10
Lora and Jin x10
Otto Matic x10
The Avatar (Ultima) x10
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) x10
Concept: Bravely Default rep x10
Concept: Rocket League rep x10
[Rerate] Neku Sakuraba x10
Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is half Nintendo and half third party x10
Concept: FP2 character comes with an Echo Fighter x10
Boss: Rayquaza x9
Chell x8
[Rerate] Professor Layton x8
Magolor x7
Taranza x6
Concept: Darkstalkers rep x6
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Mii Costume: Hat Kid x5
Concept: Portal 2 rep x5
Breath of the Wild 2 Ganondorf x5
Tick (Brawl Stars) x5
King Graham x5
Concept: Fortnite character x5
[Rerate] Andy x5
Cooking Mama x5
[Rerate] Toxtricity x5
Jill (Drill Dozer) x5
[Rerate] Takamaru x5
Asuka (Senran Kagura) x5
Furret x5
Deku Scrub x5
Mii Costume: Edward Falcon x5
Concept: A LABO character x5
Cynthia x5
Concept: Bonus character x5
John Marston x5
Austin the Butler (Gardenscapes) x5
Concept: No AT promotions x5
[Rerate] Quote x5
[Rerate] Morrigan Aensland x5
Concept: Generic Zora x3
Three Mage Sisters x2
Concept: A Pokémon Trainer who fights x2
Concept: A fighter who uses all kicks x2
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x2
Concept: Generic Goron x2
Mii Costume: Jacket x2
Echo (Olimar) x1

Simnm

Smash Journeyman

Minecraft Steve

WANT: 90%, I tend to want characters who are legendary. And he is legendary. The thing is, he has a huge movepool potential, but does he 'need' to be a cahracter or could be be..

Mii Upgrade Change: 75%
This is a huge character, but I truly feel any character who can be passed off to a Mii Upgrade, will (sorry Geno).
Maybe we will see Mii Upgrades start to come with more- signature moves, or a stage themselves.

Chance as a Fighter: 20%
It could still happen, I just think it's much less likely if they actually name the Mii Upgrades (meaning, just have the names announced).
I mean by that logic crash is going to be a mii costume.(i just dont see steve being a mii costume at all)

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
HI GUYS.

Chance:50%

Probably the highest i can give to any character as of now. Minecraft isn't just the best selling game of all time, it isn't just the most popular game of the 21st century, it's a full-on cultural phenomenon that jumps over barriers all across the world. Japan isn't immune either.

Steve is also really popular among the more "Silent" crowd, Microsoft is now on board in Smash thanks to Banjo's inclusion so negotiations are easier, and the moveset potential of this guy is pretty big.

With that said, beign mainstream doesn't give you automatic entrance. Characters that are super recognizable like Toad are still not playable for whatever reason, and frachises like Monster Hunter and Resident Evil are represented with non-playable content and the second best selling game of all time is nothing but music (it doesn't even have a Stage) and i do see Steve's blocky look as possible Mii Costume material ala Sans, Cuphead with music included. Hell Akira has a similar blocky look to him

TL;DR I do think Minecraft (and by extention Steve) is inevitable to Smash, but im not sure if Steve as a newcomer is (at least, not in this game)

Want:5%

Do not misunderstand this as me disliking Steve in Smash. There are characters out there who i do not support, but firmly believe should be or should have been in Smash. Toad, Meowth, etc. This is now one of them. For me it would be foolish to deny Steve's potential in Smash and arguments like "he's generic and people don't play Minecraft for Steve" are meaningless to me.

The reason i put him this low is due to lack of interest in Minecraft as a whole. It's something that seems fun, but it's not a game series i ever had any major interest in getting into, and the character movesets i have seen him while unique and show his potential, aren't something that i wanna play as. I rate the Want score usually on the basis of my personal attachtment and me wanting to play as them. Steve is NOT one of them.

OM NOMS:
-Spirit Promotion X5

I know I said I was gonna end the day Monday morning, but based on the thread activity as well as yet another possible Direct announcement tomorrow, I'm probably gonna end it Tuesday morning right after 11 am EST.

If some of you already rated Steve, remember that you start writing up your thoughts on Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is mostly first-party in advance and SmashBoards will save your draft to post later. Click the little save icon when typing text to save it, but don't post it until the next day starts.
Don't do that.

Don't give us hope.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Do...

Do you know something I don't?

CAN I KNOW TOO??!? :4larry:
I really wish I did, but unfortunately I know just as much as everyone else here does. I thought we'd get the actual Direct tomorrow but today proved that wrong. Directs are generally announced before noon from Monday - Thursday so that's what I'm hoping for.

Plus Nintendo would have to be insane to pass on this week when the New Game+ Expo is next week.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Steve

Chance - 15% - Steve's in an interesting spot, as he's clearly popular in the general sense but is more mixed among Smash fans. The general overlap between the average Smash fan and Minecraft is difficult to track but leans towards low, I think. There was general resentment due to seen competition between Banjo and Steve, but ironically Minecraft can be said to allow Banjo to come back, which has cooled tensions. It's hard to say if that connection will cause Steve himself to appear, but it's certainly something to look out for.

Want - 40% - I've heard horror stories about Dedede being able to chain grab people infinitely on stages with walls. While thankfully that's no longer possible, stuff like that has soured me to any terraforming character into Smash. While it might be possible to balance that, I fear any such playable will have to be very careful if it is not going to be toxic.

Nominations

Lip X5

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
the most popular game of the 21st century,
is it? how do you tell

So who's gonna start nominating Jump rope bunny? Any takers?

maybe when im done with nate

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

...Yeah it's really gonna be June 30th isn't it?

Day over.

Rate Concept: Fighter Pass Volume 2 is mostly first-party.
  • In other words, at least 4 of the 6 characters in the pass have to be first-party. We've already got 1 first-party so for this concept to happen we need to get at least 3 more.
Predict Louie from the Pikmin series.

If there is no Direct announcement then the day will end Thursday at noon EST.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

sales dont equal people liking it, there could be many people who bought it and hated it
Minecraft has sold over 200 million copies... I think it's safe to assume most of those people liked it otherwise it wouldn't have sold that much to begin with.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Third-party oppression
Chance: 5%
"Mostly first party" would imply the first-party ratio being 4/6 or 5/6. I'm moreso expecting a healthy balance of 3 first and 3 third-parties each at best. The third-parties being outnumbered just doesn't sound likely to me after seeing how the first pass turned out, as well as Sakurai mentioning the pandemic restricting him from meeting up with certain companies.

Want: 30%
It would give a lot more room for BWD but on the other hand it would make put my most wanted third-parties in a tight situation. Personally, I'd prefer the scenario where it's perfectly balanced as all things should be.

Louie: 3.75%
Dr. Eggman x5

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
My kind of Mario Party

Chance: Unknown
We really gotta play it by ear for now. It ultimately (no pun intended) depends on who FP7 is.

Want: 50%
Half of me does want more Nintendo shine after Vol. 1 being mostly 3rd party. The other half wants at least half 3rd party for Vol. 2, mainly because we may never get a Smash game this big again.

Louie: 0%

Noms:
Xion as Sora's Echo Fighter ×2
Sakura Shinguji ×3

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Nintendo put mostly Nintendo characters in their Nintendo fighting game

Chance: 8%
There's a chance of it hapening, but I don't thin kthat it's high at all. For reminder, Nintendo chose the dlc for fighter pass 1, and they are doing the same for fighter pass 2, and well, for fighter pass 1 there's one Nintendo character, and 4 third party characters. Yeah. I even doubt that we will get another Nintendo character after Arms whoever, with the characters with the best shot being Rex and someone from Prime 4, at least in my opinion.

Want: 55%
There's many first party character that I would absolutely love see join Smash. Midna, Skull Kid, Vaati, Marx, Bandana Dee, Magolor, Akira Howard, there's many good picks, but there's also some first party characters that I do not want- actualy, it's only Waluigi. And if the pass is mostly first party, then Waluigi's chances will not only have sky rocketed, but also his fans would be the worst. I get that not every Waluigi fans are bad, but the bad ones are the worst of the entire fanbase, and no matter what happen, we all loose with them.

Louie: 1.2%, for pity.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Mostly 1st party

Chance 10 - I guess it could happen although I have no clue who they would fill it out with. Arms is a good start. Rex makes sense after that. Akira from Astral Chain feels missing I suppose. After that I got nothing. I guess they could go Dixie, BWD, Paper Mario, Pokemon etc or something but there's significantly more interesting picks from 3rd parties out there and I doubt Nintendo really wants to go this route anyways since most of the overall DLC we've gotten are 3rd parties. Not seeing anything saying it's suddenly going to flip. I guess they could go for AT promotions but we don't know if they actually want to do that or not yet so I'm not going to worry about it for now.

Want 10 - If they pick good characters then sure. Most of the exciting first parties are already in the game, as you'd expect from a roster that has almost 80 characters in it. If we hit something like Waluigi, Akira, Issac then sure, that's a good first party load but that still doesn't feel nearly as hype as getting a couple really good 3rd party reps. Overall a lot of the first party characters I see get pitched don't even seem that fun to play either(I'm looking at you BWD) so if their not hype and play is average at best I just don't want to see it. It's easier to slap a generic moveset onto a 3rd party because at least they'll likely have more hype around them coming in.

Predictions
Louie - .21

Noms
Stretchers x5

Top Bottom