• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Costume turned playable
Chance: 40%
Definitely among the likelier first-parties. It's hard to deny the inclusion of an Arms rep being the most beneficial to Rex with how both Arms and Xenoblade 2 were in pretty much the same situation. Still, I wouldn't say it guarantees Rex. Nintendo's sudden push for Arms gives me the feeling they have more plans for that IP than Xenoblade 2. We should remember that Nintendo chooses the lineup so Sakurai's fanboyism may not matter but the demand from the actual fanboys certainly does, especially with Rex being crazy popular in Japan.

Want 0%
I wouldn't be as mad at this inclusion compared to two years ago but I still wouldn't buy him. Rex and his game simply don't appealing to me and despite not having played a Xenoblade game, Elma would be my preferred. Being a first-party in general would likely mean he's competition to my most wanted.

Steve: 32.46%
Dr. Eggman x8
Captain Toad x7

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Rex

Chance 65%
Things look very good for Rex, The ARMS character shows a willingness to go back and add characters who were just poorly timed for the original. And Sakurai has already expressed interest in adding him (although as far we know it's Nintendo deciding) and ARMS has the added benefit of likely disproving base game content being worth anything. Also Xenoblade is bigger than ever, it should get another character already.
Want 99%
Yes please. Definitely up there with most wanted. And the things he's bring with him would be phenomenal. Just imagine the songs!!! We only have 3 at the moment from Xenoblade 2. But there's so much more they could add.

Giga Rosa
https://youtu.be/j_hbL5L8844

That sweet boss theme
https://youtu.be/pSkDqgTsUNw

Zeke, Bringer of CHAOS!!
https://youtu.be/zUoXO0lU6nQ

The Final Boss theme
https://youtu.be/LG_AYk4Fa38

Counterattack
https://youtu.be/aElM_uHL00E

The dlc battle theme
https://youtu.be/uRtAbX2-f3A

Mor Ardain!
https://youtu.be/Tx3AbguQZHU

And there's still more! And haven't even touched X or the first game.

Now imagine the stage! Uraya and the Letherian Archipelago are true sites to behold.

There's so many good choices that I really hope it happens.

Nominate person of colour x5

Prediction Steve 23%

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Gonna abstain since I've done a bigger write-up on Rex a few months back. However, Nintendo's willingness to look back on games that initially missed the cut (though it could just be a special case for ARMS since it needs the promotion), Sakurai's love for the game definitely gives it a big boost. Alongside a lot of fan demand and complete lack of competition from his own series, he's looking to be one of the most likely first parties. Now would I want him? depends. While I like him as a character (no issue with being a stock Shonen character here, I like Shonen characters. He's such a nice guy! How can anyone hate him? I'll gladly spend a day with him over stoic, boring Morag and b**** Brighid), I've put over 50 hours into his game and am about half way through. I like a lot of the characters and the story's alright, but the gameplay isn't really pulling me in and feels kinda tedious. Though I'm not much of a JRPG person so I understand it isn't for everyone. While I definitely have an attachment to characters like Rex, Nia, Dromarch, Tora, Poppi, Vandham, and the like, it isn't really making me more desiring to see them in Smash. Rex certainly has earned it, I completely agree with that, but there's other first party franchises I'd rather see reps for first, like Pikmin.

Nominations:
Austin the Butler x5

Predictions:
Steve - 26.43%

DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire Forgive the question, but why did you nominate Austin?
He's an inside joke with a few friends of mine, and while I nominated him mostly for silly purposes, his series has a lot of lore, nice art, surprisingly good music, and a 3DS game. So there's something there xP

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
rex you say?

chances: 50% as with most characters i can see this going either way. and as plenty of you have pointed out sakurai did suggest he would have included arms and rex had he the chances to with the base game so if we're getting arms now i think its perfectly reasonable to see rex as in the same position. and every argument against rex ive heard arent really ones you can prove until the end of the dlc cycle at which point its a bit redundant. also in the year and a half we've been at this i have yet to hear a good reason as to why spirits out right deconfirm.

want: 100% i loved xenoblade 2, best of the 3 i felt, despite of the vast number of daft looking characters. i have never been one of those people who think are too many swords and the idea you can only do so much with swords is depending on your imagination. rex has plenty to bring and theres no need to shoe horn in other weapons like they did with byleth. also it will be some what amusing to watch people complain about how much they change pyra's design. rex many not be the best character in xenoblade 2 but his bland protag syndrome isnt as bad as others and hed still be plenty fun to play as.

nominate nate adams x5

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Rex is back with a vengeance

Chance: 30%
I get it. Sakurai said that Rex and Springman would have joined if Ultimate had started development later. I get it that Sakurai likes Xenoblade 2. I get it that we will have an Arms character soon eventualy. But the thing is that Nintendo is choosing the dlc, not Sakurai. Of course, Rex has a chance, but he's nowhere near guaranteed. Does Nintendo want to promote Rex? Maybe. We will have a better view of the thing once Arms whoever is revealed.

Want: 65%
Xenoblade 2 is a good game, and while Rex is not the best protagonist, especilay compared to Shulk, he's fine. Pyra and Mythra would be cool, and they're the main reason Xenoblade fans want Rex, which I agree with.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Rex - abstain

Would it be just Rex? Rex & Pyra as a duo? Rex & Pyra but only one at a time (like Pokémon Trainer)? Would Rex be well received if all he ends up being is yet another anime swordsman? Byleth's trailer told us they're aware of this issue, so it'd definitely impact his (their?) design. What about Elma, Melia or Nia (who are all popular and would sport interesting concepts)? Does his mii costume mean anything? Does its "exclusivity" because you could only get it when buying the pass mean anything? Does ARMS indicate FP2 will be mostly 1st party-oriented? Or will it be like FE3H a one off?

There are so many unknowns here, I can't give a proper rating. Not even a want rating. Rex alone would be pretty "meh", but a Rex & Pyra duo could be nice. Keyword being could, so then again it'd be mixed. What about the different weapons you can wield? Now that could be great. Some would obviously just be visuals, but it'd still be better than anime boi swinging a sword slightly differently. Then there's also Mythra (and possibly Pneuma, though likely as a FS) to consider.

Thre's potential but it could go so right or so wrong that I'm quite on the fence. Though I must say, even if the design were top notch, I still wouldn't want it 100% because I'd rather have the 2nd XC rep give us something a bit more "exotic" than the MC. Melia and her elementals would be one of a kind in Smash, Nia, her weapons and her transformation would also be very distinct and the same applies to Elma.

Predictions: Steve - 8%
Nominations: D.Va x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Rex
95% Chance

Yes. I am pretty confident on this one.

At first, the idea of Rex coming seems...weird. Rex was once the most likely character to appear according to this game (though not the most popular, though at least part of that was raiding from Elma supporters...). When he was not in the box or grinch, most people thought he was a lock for DLC. And then the Mii Costume came.

So what has changed, that makes me think Rex needs a hard reevaluation? Simple. An AMRS character is coming. I am assuming rn we are getting Spring Man/ Spring Man and friends as the character, which basically throws a lot of Rex's hurdles out the window. DLC Pass 1 was planned out before the game launched. It was not until likely right before Banjo came out FP2 was even being fleshed out. If a character who was a Mii Costume and an Assist Trophy and a Spirit is DLC, all our past rules are kinda bunk.

So, what does Rex bring to the table. Well, the driver concept which would likely use Pyra and Mythra is certainly something that would have a lot of potential to make a unique fighter. Xenoblade 2 was also one of the early hyped up games for the system, similar to Arms. But most of you know this stuff, on why Rex stands a good chance.

So let me dismiss a few arguments against Rex.

1. Elma is more likely./Melia is more likely/Seven is more likely.

Call me when the XCX port comes out. Elma as of now is an arguably less popular overall choice from a game on a system that Nintendo wishes to forget. On japanese support polls, Rex usually is in the top ten. Elma... is not. So, we have a more relevant and more popular choice on our hands. Elma may have some unique moveset potential...but so does Rex. I fail to see how this is a point. If you like Elma more, more power to you. I think XCX is a decent game with a good soundtrack. But saying she is more likely than Rex right now, in 2020 is making a pretty big leap.

Gonna briefly talk about Seven to avoid spoiling XC for anyone. It is possible, but I think a promotion for XC Def is less likely, and I would argue that Seven would be the choice I think they would end up making.

Melia is the poster child for the new post game and is likely the biggest competition, but even then, they have to compete with Seven for the XC Def promotion. And you know who already promotes XC Def? Shulk.

2. Pyra/Mythra are too sexy for smash and that means they can't get in with Rex.

This is a stupid argument for a few reasons. For starters, Mythra and Pyra's spirits got into smash already, and they had minimal censorship if needed. Secondly, Bayonetta, an arguably as sexualized if not more so character has gotten into Smash and was censored. They will get slight design edits if they need to, like Mythra getting leggings.

3. Rex is a Mii Costume with FP1 so he can't be a character.

If we truly are getting Spring Man/ an ARMS character like Ribbon Girl or whatever, this rule kind of falls apart. Pre existing rules help, but when we are seeing something that if I am being honest will likely break most rules we have so far concerning first party characters, I think this is not gonna hold up well.

4. XC2 is a flop game/they have no reason to promote it.

Nintendo clearly has reason to promote the game, they have a lot of faith in the Xenoblade brand. They also if ARMS and Byelth are a trend to observe seem to want to cement Smash Ultimate as having a strong focus on the Switch as well. What else to push but an RPG that outsold all past installments in is series?

Overall, I would say looking objectively, Rex is probably the single most likely character in my eyes. There is only one other character I would put at above a 90% right now, and that is due to promotional reasons among a lot of other reasons. (Its Travis Touchdown)

100% Want

Most of this is just for more Xenoblade Music. Getting a lot of awesome tunes from 2, some more X music, and maybe some stuff from Def would be amazing.

As for Rex, I just think that it would be fun to play as him. I think the driver mechanic would be fun to implement in Smash. It really is that simple really.

nominating FP2 character comes with an echo fighter x 5

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
My two cents since I'm in the neighborhood

Rex

Chance: 50%
The mii costume does make me hesitate to be fully confident in his chances. Of course his costume was added in the previous fighters pass which probably doesn't mean anything for this pass. Especially with Arms content on the horizon. Which becomes even more of a moot point if Spring Man/Ribbon Girl end up being tge characters added to rep the game.

Xenoblade is a franchise on the rise, Rex has popularity amoung Smash fans as well as recognition from Sakurai himself regarding Smash, which puts him at quite an advantageous spot. He has a better shot thsn any other Xeno character so the likes of Elma or Melia or even KOS-MOS aren't going to be much of a hindrance methinks. Once again I'm hesitant to call him a lock since, that's the exact thing I said for the last fighters pass and we all know how that turned out.

Want: 40%
I've got nothing really against him. I've thoroughly enjoyed XC2 and I recognize the potential he could bring to the table. Especially if he's paired with Pyra/Mythra in some way. More XC2 music is a plus and a potential stage (Uraya please) would be a great addition.

That said, I've been a big supporter of Elma since I played XCX, so I can't help but feel disappointed in Rex overshadowing her, considering the unfortunate circumstances of X being on the Wii U. I'm glad to see Monolith is showing her some recognition but I'm still waiting for the game to get another shot instead of being just left behind on a dead console.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I thought I could take him, but I was done. I'll never forget him...

Chance: Blanket 40%. Purely for rating purposes. However...

If the ARMS rep is not at least a Spirit, I would move him to a 1%. That's a pretty big show of hands that he's not on the table if they're deliberately ignoring the most notable ARMS characters just to add a non-Spirit. I wouldn't put it past them entirely, but I think that's a clear cut sign he's not coming. If the ARMS rep is a Spirit, then yeah, it's a 40%. I think the circumstances are not quite equivalent, but he's definitely worth keeping an eye on (even if I think his chances are being at least a little overblown).

Now the big reason why is because he looks way too complex to develop for, given the whole blades thing seems like a nightmare when you only have so much manpower, time and money (I dunno how complex he'd actually be, and how many blades he'd have because I'm not intimately familiar, but I do know people are asking for at least Pyra). Coupled with the fact that it's not just Sakurai's selection, but Nintendo's too, and he also has to appeal to relevance and a new audience (which he kinda does, but I'd say nowhere near as well) cause in terms of fan demand, there are plenty of others that would make a big splash) meaning he has to appeal to Nintendo before Sakurai can give the A-OK. The hot new Xenoblade right now is still hot and new, but it's not his, and it's already represented with -who else but- Shulk. So there's a bunch of invisible walls that could keep him out. But, if his fans keep pushing, he may end up as a character a lot like Chrom: desired for Smash despite being past his "due date", and getting in anyway. This also relies on him surviving Xenoblade 3, or whatever the next individual Xenoblade game's protagonist is, cause he could get Girahim'd if people abandon him for the protagonist of the newest game.

Now if this next character is (or at least has) Spring Man, there are only 3 slots left, as Rex (alongside Waluigi) is pretty much guaranteed at that point. I'd outright go 100%. That'd basically solidify it as the pass of missed chances.

I'm also assuming his Mii Costume doesn't count as DLC from a developmental viewpoint, because you can only get it by purchasing Volume 1 as a whole. If it was designed as DLC then I think he's outright dead, since I don't think they'd sell us Rex twice.

Want: Meh, 30%. Apparently he's pretty popular, but this has nothing to do with the character and everything to do with his game, and while I can't say I don't understand it, I've yet to meet a genuine fan of Rex as a character... at all. Pretty much, it's less about "because I want to see Rex in Smash" and more "because Xenoblade 2 deserves a rep/more stuff". That's not to say it's invalid, but as somebody who doesn't care for Xenoblade that much, it means his appeal to me is pretty limited. Maybe his moveset or content would be cool? And that's fine, but if I don't care about a character then I don't really want them. He's inoffensive, which is good enough.

Frisk x 5. Steve is a candidate who also benefits from a new pass, and has the accolades and demand to get in. I don't... what is his weakness? 32.50%.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Now the big reason why is because he looks way too complex to develop for, given the whole blades thing seems like a nightmare when you only have so much manpower, time and money (I dunno how complex he'd actually be, and how many blades he'd have because I'm not intimately familiar, but I do know people are asking for at least Pyra).
I don't like commenting on other's rankings but I'll do it this time. :p

Isn't the complex design a good thing here? DLC characters get more focus in development allowing more complex systems to be added.

I mean compare Ultimate's base newcomers to the DLC ones.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Chance: 90%
I honestly can't see Sakurai and Nintendo going back and doing an ARMS rep yet skipping on Rex and another Xenoblade rep when they were both said to be considered but couldn't make it in time for the base roaster. I also think that the pass is going to be mostly first party characters unlike third parties. Spirits IMO don't matter because they can simply call it Rex & Aegis as well as the fact that Xenoblade 2 + Torna have a lot of missing spirits. Music is another aspect that can be a big sign. They have yet to add the most popular tracks in XC2 like Counterattack, Gormott and Roaming the wastes. I think if any character is likely to be in pass 2 it's Rex and I'm fairly certain it'll happen this time.

Want: 100%
Rex has been my most wanted since I played XC2 in 2017. Was pretty disappointed with the whole Mii costume but i'm not sure that matters at all now. Xenoblade reps are in dire need and as much as I also want Elma I'm just not sure it'll happen yet. I was already pretty happy with Joker and Byleth getting in but Rex would be so amazing to have in Smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I got tagged so therefore I must speak up. Sari Sari did this so don't get mad at me

Chance: 0%. Arms was something Nintendo deemed worthy of further promotion. XB2 came out then too, so shouldn't the same apply? Wrong, ARMS is a mere single game unlike XB2, the third installment of a franchise with a rotating cast, so Rex will at most be referenced in future installments judging by X, unless they want to connect everything in which he'd be playable DLC like Shulk, Fiora and Elma were in his game, Rex will never get to be relevant unless he gets a remake a decade from now. "But Nintendo may want to promote Xenoblade!" You say, to which I shall point at some obscure remake that came out 2 weeks ago, with not one, but two clear cut candidates, Fiora, who often gets emphasized in marketing and XB2 even choosing to bring her alongside Shulk. The other clear cut candidate is Melia, another beloved character who was given extra emphasis with a brand new epilogue that deals with her due to how much fans lamented that she tragically kept getting screwed over, she's even enphasized the most on a poster for the Collector's Edition of the game! If Nintendo feels Xenoblade needs further promotion, why go back to 2 years ago and not 2 weeks? We got Byleth instead of Alm or Celica, we got Greninja instead of a Gen V mon, unless Rex is seen as such a special little boy by Nintendo, chances are he'll suffer the same fate as every other protagonist from rotating casts with untimely releases.

Want: 0%. I considered writing a list of all the things I hate about XB2 and why Future Connected broke my ****ing heart when I realized it was written as if it belonged in 2, but then we'd just be here all day and people would ignore a good 80% of it to call me a prude as usual, so I don't think I should have to justify this rating. I really ****ing hate that game

Nominations: Morrigan Aensland x5

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Rex

Chance: 25%. His chance of being in the game is higher, since a character from Arms is going to be playable. The fact that he is considered also helps his chances, plus Xenoblade 2's surprising popularity would be a bonus. It appears things are looking promising for him.

Want: 50%. In all honesty, I prefer it if Elma got in instead, but He could be fun to play as. He could have some moveset potential, and I can see him and Shulk fight for the title for best Xenoblade Protagonist. Overall, he would be a decent fighter to play as.

Prediction: Steve (25%)

Noms: 2 for Concept: Pokeball Pokémon Promotion and 3 for Boss: Ender Dragon

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Why is everyone predicting steve to have a 25 to 35% average score,i feel like he should be higher

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Please no
abstain n chance
Want:0%: ....I don't like Xenoblade 2. It's just so....generic. Especially Rex's design and in general the game just is a lot less unique then the first two. Rex has a major part with that, as he's a lot less interesting of a protagonist the Shulk or Elma.. I don't really want it to get representation in Smash over Elma or Fiora. PLease, no.x
Nominations: Shuichi Saihara x5

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Rex

Chance: 85%
You know what? I'm going all in. Pretty much everything else has said is still true. While I will admit we probably should have waited until after we found out who the ARMS character is before rerating him, the fact we're getting an ARMS rep at all pretty much restored his chances, despite what the haters say. Honestly, if we are getting multiple first parties, he's (objectively) the most likely.
I still love XC2. In fact, despite currently playing XCDE, I've come to appreciate Rex even more as a character. Don't get me wrong, Shulk is a cool character, but I soon noticed that XC1... puts too much emphasis on him? Like, I get it, he's the main character, but it makes the other party members feel like they're just there (Riki is the biggest offender of this), while Shulk is there to help them develop. With Rex, it's the exact opposite. His party members all have at least one valid reason to be with him (yes, even Tora), and THEY'RE the ones to help Rex develop. I honestly find that more interesting than what Shulk's party was like. So yeah, I'm on the Rex train, and you can bet I'm staying on for quite some time.

Nominations: Meowth x5

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Rex
Chance: 50%
Not feeling as confident as some other members, but I do think Rex is the character that benefits the most from promotions and IP revisiting right now. It's hard to think of another franchise that's in the same spot as Xenoblade right now and it's even harder to think of a franchise that is in that same good spot and has been neglected Smash-wise as much as it has.

I mean, all we have in terms of playable content is like... one character, one stage and one AT - all of which come from the same game in the series.

Plus, Sakurai has expressed direct interest in making Rex playable, so that's always a good sign.

You know what? I'm going in. My Xenoblade experience might be mostly confined to the original, but I really want that whole series to get more love from Nintendo - not just the first game. I'd be fine with someone like Seven, Melia or Elma, but if we get Rex, then I'm fine with it too. I think Rex in particular can bring mechanics, songs and a stage that would represent the series' new direction.

Predictions
Steve: 32.8%

Nominations
Dark Souls rep x 5

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Oh god, not again.

I got tagged so therefore I must speak up. Sari Sari did this so don't get mad at me

Chance: 0%. Arms was something Nintendo deemed worthy of further promotion. XB2 came out then too, so shouldn't the same apply? Wrong, ARMS is a mere single game unlike XB2, the third installment of a franchise with a rotating cast, so Rex will at most be referenced in future installments judging by X, unless they want to connect everything in which he'd be playable DLC like Shulk, Fiora and Elma were in his game, Rex will never get to be relevant unless he gets a remake a decade from now. "But Nintendo may want to promote Xenoblade!" You say, to which I shall point at some obscure remake that came out 2 weeks ago, with not one, but two clear cut candidates, Fiora, who often gets emphasized in marketing and XB2 even choosing to bring her alongside Shulk. The other clear cut candidate is Melia, another beloved character who was given extra emphasis with a brand new epilogue that deals with her due to how much fans lamented that she tragically kept getting screwed over, she's even enphasized the most on a poster for the Collector's Edition of the game! If Nintendo feels Xenoblade needs further promotion, why go back to 2 years ago and not 2 weeks? We got Byleth instead of Alm or Celica, we got Greninja instead of a Gen V mon, unless Rex is seen as such a special little boy by Nintendo, chances are he'll suffer the same fate as every other protagonist from rotating casts with untimely releases.

Want: 0%. I considered writing a list of all the things I hate about XB2 and why Future Connected broke my ****ing heart when I realized it was written as if it belonged in 2, but then we'd just be here all day and people would ignore a good 80% of it to call me a prude as usual, so I don't think I should have to justify this rating. I really ****ing hate that game

Nominations: Morrigan Aensland x5
You are like little baby. Watch this.

Rexit, or "Why have a person-ally-tea when you can just recite the Salvager's Code every chapter?"

Chance: 0%
Nope. That ship has sailed. So, sure you may say, he has a lot of fan support, and apparently could have happened in the base game. But so what? Just look at Dixie Kong. She was going to happen in Brawl, has a Mii costume now, and the Donkey Kong series has received more attention now than it has received in any game since Brawl! And yet, Dixie Kong is nowhere to be seen. And beyond that, Bandana Waddle Dee and Geno also have yet to happen, despite the massive fan support (although the latter of course also has the issue Square Enix). Plus, unlike any of those three examples, here's what Rex is missing: Future relevance. Considering that Xenoblade as a series seems to be following the Final Fantasy model of sequels, it is a reasonably likely assumption to make that he isn't going to have the main character role in any future Xenoblade game, let alone make any kind of appearance. I would say that we're already seeing this with Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition, but considering that that game just came out, and patches with additional content are at least possible and could give him some role, I don't wanna don the clown outfit for making that statement.
And now, for the apparently more minor points: The Mii costume was specifically added in as DLC, and promoted along with the first fighter pass on multiple occasions. And so what if an ARMS character is coming? You wanna know what ARMS lacked that Rex' game already has? Music. And if you wanna talk about a Xenoblade game that has no music and that got snubbed pretty hard in Smash Ultimate, you need to look one entry further back.

Want: 0%
This is easily gonna be the longer paragraph here, I can already say without any hesitation. Let me make one thing clear: The first Xenoblade is one of my favourite games of all time, right up there with Majora's Mask and Okami. And as something that markets itself as a sequel to that, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 fails on just about every level to make something better, or even something anywhere near as good as the original.
The story is a mess that was clearly written in a rush, the main cast is absolutely bloated (depending on how you count it, your main party consists of twelve to fourteen characters, and there's six main villains of varying importance, even more if you count their Blades) and nowhere near as well developed as the main casts of any of the other games, the Blade gacha system is a horrible idea that, from what I can tell, not even fans of this game tend to enjoy, field skills constantly grind your exploration to a screeching halt, and, what is to me the biggest misstep, the side quests are nowhere near as plentiful or deep as they were in 1 and X. Oh, and most character designs are pretty bad, but there's no need to hammer that point down any further.
And at the center of all my problems with this game, all the things that I hate, sits Rex. He's incredibly bland in terms of his personality, his character arc is extremely understated to the point where I've seen multiple people argue that perhaps Pyra or Mythra are the actual protagonist (who wouldn't be much better protagonists, even if they were), constantly takes away the attention of the story and even side quests/stories from more interesting characters, and yet the game's narrative constantly worships the very ground that he walks on, and expects the player to do the same. And, sure, a character's writing has no bearing on how they'd appear in Smash, and we have plenty of badly written protagonist characters in the game, such as [insert Fire Emblem protagonist of your choice here]. But a character's writing in their home game is pretty important to actually make them likable in the first place, and Rex clearly doesn't manage that for me.
As for moveset potential and the like? I don't see it. Sure, he could switch between Blades, but. . . so what? What Blades do you even give him? Pyra and Mythra? The moveset he gets from is virtually identical, especially since I'm pretty sure that Blade specials would be reserved for a Final Smash. The Blades he canonicaly gets? The only ones there are both spoilers, and I doubt that Sakurai and his team would do that (though then again, they also pointlessly added Seven to Shulk's Final Smash in Ultimate. . .). Do the Byleth thing and give him the Blades of his party members? Also a spoiler, and it runs risk of giving him two weapons that are very similar to the ones he already has (Zeke/Pandora's sword is similar to Pyra/Mythra's swords, Nia/Dromarch and Mòrag/Brighid are very similar). Pick a buncha random Blades from the dozen or so rare ones? That would be way too random of an option. And really, both of the big things that get touted as unique mechanics that he could bring to the game can be done more interestingly by other characters. Switching movesets via weapon switch? Go for Elma. Puppet fighter? Astral Chain protagonist is right there.
And even in a more general sense, all that Rex would really add to the game in terms of Xenoblade representation is basically "more of the same but worse", when Xenoblade as a series has already done very different and more interesting things.
Bottom line, this is one of the very few characters that I'm actively against. You know, I generally try to be a positive person. But literally the only set of circumstances where I wouldn't be dead against Rex making it into this game were if by some bizarre set of choices by Sakurai and Nintendo, Elma makes it in before him. And I think I don't need to push for this concept to be rated in this thread to accurately make the statement that everyone agrees that the chance of that happening (especially in the confines of this current Fighter Pass) is 0%.

Nomating Concept: Person of colour x5.

Predicting Steve Minecraft to get around 37.56%.

Yer I'm dun.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Gonna abstain from the chance rating for Rex. It's legitimately kinda hard to place him.

I would just honestly prefer not to get Rex. I'm not a fan of his character design, his voice is pretty grating (though in fairness voice direction could fix this), and more importantly, even as a relative outsider to the Xenoblade series, there are several characters from it I'd want more, even just from the first game. Characters like Melia and Dunban could be really cool to see. So really, Rex just doesn't do anything for me. Plus we already have the XC2 battle theme which I really like, so, I think I'm good for Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh god, not again.

You are like little baby. Watch this.

Rexit, or "Why have a person-ally-tea when you can just recite the Salvager's Code every chapter?"

Chance: 0%
Nope. That ship has sailed. The Mii costume was specifically added in as DLC, and promoted along with the first fighter pass on multiple occasions. And so what if an ARMS character is coming? You wanna know what ARMS lacked that Rex' game already has? Music. And if you wanna talk about a Xenoblade game that has no music and that got snubbed pretty hard in Smash Ultimate, you need to look one entry further back.

This is easily gonna be the longer paragraph here, I can already say without any hesitation. Let me make one thing clear: The first Xenoblade is one of my favourite games of all time, right up there with Majora's Mask and Okami. And as something that markets itself as a sequel to that, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 fails on just about every level to make something better, or even something anywhere near as good as the original.
The story is a mess that was clearly written in a rush, the main cast is absolutely bloated (depending on how you count it, your main party consists of twelve to fourteen characters, and there's six main villains of varying importance, even more if you count their Blades) and nowhere near as well developed as the main casts of any of the other games, the Blade gacha system is a horrible idea that, from what I can tell, not even fans of this game tend to enjoy, field skills constantly grind your exploration to a screeching halt, and, what is to me the biggest misstep, the side quests are nowhere near as plentiful or deep as they were in 1 and X. Oh, and most character designs are pretty bad, but there's no need to hammer that point down any further.
And at the center of all my problems with this game, all the things that I hate, sits Rex. He's incredibly bland in terms of his personality, his character arc is extremely understated to the point where I've seen multiple people argue that perhaps Pyra or Mythra are the actual protagonist (who wouldn't be much better protagonists, even if they were), constantly takes away the attention of the story and even side quests/stories from more interesting characters, and yet the game's narrative constantly worships the very ground that he walks on, and expects the player to do the same. And, sure, a character's writing has no bearing on how they'd appear in Smash, and we have plenty of badly written protagonist characters in the game, such as [insert Fire Emblem protagonist of your choice here]. But a character's writing in their home game is pretty important to actually make them likable in the first place, and Rex clearly doesn't manage that for me.
As for moveset potential and the like? I don't see it. Sure, he could switch between Blades, but. . . so what? What Blades do you even give him? Pyra and Mythra? The moveset he gets from is virtually identical, especially since I'm pretty sure that Blade specials would be reserved for a Final Smash. The Blades he canonicaly gets? The only ones there are both spoilers, and I doubt that Sakurai and his team would do that (though then again, they also pointlessly added Seven to Shulk's Final Smash in Ultimate. . .). Do the Byleth thing and give him the Blades of his party members? Also a spoiler, and it runs risk of giving him two weapons that are very similar to the ones he already has (Zeke/Pandora's sword is similar to Pyra/Mythra's swords, Nia/Dromarch and Mòrag/Brighid are very similar). Pick a buncha random Blades from the dozen or so rare ones? That would be way too random of an option. And really, both of the big things that get touted as unique mechanics that he could bring to the game can be done more interestingly by other characters. Switching movesets via weapon switch? Go for Elma. Puppet fighter? Astral Chain protagonist is right there.
And even in a more general sense, all that Rex would really add to the game in terms of Xenoblade representation is basically "more of the same but worse", when Xenoblade as a series has already done very different and more interesting things.
Bottom line, this is one of the very few characters that I'm actively against. You know, I generally try to be a positive person. But literally the only set of circumstances where I wouldn't be dead against Rex making it into this game were if by some bizarre set of choices by Sakurai and Nintendo, Elma makes it in before him. And I think I don't need to push for this concept to be rated in this thread to accurately make the statement that everyone agrees that the chance of that happening (especially in the confines of this current Fighter Pass) is 0%.

Nomating Concept: Person of colour x5.

Predicting Steve Minecraft to get around 37.56%.

Yer I'm dun.
you think music is a strike against him?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
lmao, I'm the third person on this page that actually rates 0%, and that's the one y'all take issue with? 'kay.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nope. That ship has sailed. The Mii costume was specifically added in as DLC, and promoted along with the first fighter pass on multiple occasions. And so what if an ARMS character is coming? You wanna know what ARMS lacked that Rex' game already has? Music. And if you wanna talk about a Xenoblade game that has no music and that got snubbed pretty hard in Smash Ultimate,
I think having a Mii Costume (that's the only DLC Mii Costume guaranteed to have been decided in the original project plan) and 3 (non-remix) tracks is hardly strong enough evidence to support a 0%

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I think Rex is happening. Sakurai obviously wanted to put him in the base game but didn’t have time. Now with XC1 getting a remastered version it’s the perfect time to bring him in to give that series even more publicity.

Speaking of which I’m actually playing through XC1 for the first time ever and it’s such an amazing game. I LOVED XC2 and this game is even better in my opinion and I think I’m only like halfway through. I love this series.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I think having a Mii Costume (that's the only DLC Mii Costume guaranteed to have been decided in the original project plan) and 3 (non-remix) tracks is hardly strong enough evidence to support a 0%
And I don't think he warrants a 100% rating no matter how you look at it, and yet, here we both are. Just let it go and move on.

Edit: Although now that you mention it, I did remember some other points. I edited them into my post.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
And I don't think he warrants a 100% rating no matter how you look at it, and yet, here we both are. Just let it go and move on.

Edit: Although now that you mention it, I did remember some other points. I edited them into my post.
Fair enough. But it isn't the score itself I disagree with, just that I felt that the reasoning wasn't conclusive enough to support it. The new stuff you added is much more compelling imo.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Fair enough. But it isn't the score itself I disagree with, just that I felt that the reasoning wasn't conclusive enough to support it. The new stuff you added is much more compelling imo.
Also fair enough. Let's hope this thread moves on now.

. . .Although now I really feel like pushing for a Dixie Kong rerate. . .

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The original post was significantly more detailed and personal than mine, so is mine ok considering you said nothing on it despite having less substance?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The original post was significantly more detailed and personal than mine, so is mine ok considering you said nothing on it despite having less substance?
Idk, I thought yours was more substantiated, even if I don't agree with it. They're much stronger arguments so I think with that logic a 0% is more justified.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Rex

Chance: 60%
With ARMS confirmed, his chances have gone up dramatically. He's in an incredibly similar situation in terms of relevancy, and Sakurai personally apologized during the Nintendo Direct for not making him playable.

I would be ecstatic at a lot of the choices for a 2nd Xenoblade Rep, including Elma and Mecha-Fiora, and Rex is no exception. The series is one of my personal favorites in terms of already represented franchises to get another character alongside Zelda, and the character is liked by plenty in the Nintendo fanbase. And this is of course assuming he'd come with Pyra and Mythra as well, who would provide another cool dual character mechanic.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Let's show 'em a thing or three!:

Chance: 60%
I'm giving him just a little bit above a 50% chance purely because as others have mentioned, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was one of the two franchises singled out when Sakurai mentioned "I wanted to add them, but they came out too late into development", the other being ARMS. And look where we are now. The fact that Rex is clearly on Sakurai's radar makes me think we may well be seeing him soon.

Want: 90%
Honestly I really liked XBC2. It doesn't hold a candle to the first one, but it's still a great game in its own right. While some people find Rex's voice grating (which I can understand, voice direction in XBC2 left a lot to be desired), I find it charming in a very narmy sort of way.

Plus, he'd bring Pyra and Mythra with him, which is more than enough reason to want him.

I.D.

Smash Lord
I promised to myself not to post in this thread anymore after the entire basis of my predictions got BTFO by ARMS but since the usual suspects already came here for the sole purpose of sabotaging this silly prediction game I might as well do the same.

THE CHAD SALVAGER

Chance: 100%. The only prediction left I have confidence in is Monolith Soft getting a character in this pass thanks to their success and growth in recent years, and why would it be anyone other than Rex? Fiora? Xenoblade 1 already has tons of content in the game, Fiora is neither the main character nor the most popular. Melia? If 200$ figures were indicative of anything Kosmos would already be playable. Kosmos? Only if people like Tetsuya Takahashi and Katsuhiro Harada have a direct influence on DLC picks. Elma? lolno. The Baten Kaitos dude? Get out.

Want: 100%. Previously I would have felt conflicted about giving 100% to anyone other than my actual most wanted (Cloud) but after being thoroughly disappointed by the FFVII """Remake""" my opinion has soured somewhat, unfortunate as that is. I like his design, I like his fighting style and abilities, I like the salvager's code, I loved his scenes during the final boss of the game and I really enjoyed his voice acting.
"WAIT, YOU THINK XENOBLADE 2'S VOICE ACTING IS GOOD???"
tired of pretending.jpg

Go play some old dubbed JRPGs, you damn zoomers

Top Bottom