• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The Evil, Green One
Chance: 1%
Yeaaaah, Pikmin did receive a good amount of attention between the mobile game and Pikmin 3 Deluxe, but nothing about that promotion translates to something that would fit neatly in a Smash package. Star-of-the-show Alph is already playable-ish, Pikmin 3 has a stage and what I can only assume to be a fair bit of representation on the side. Louie is a relatively small part of Pikmin 3 compared to it, so I don’t see Pikmin as a franchise that would really benefit from a booster shot in representation to promote the latest game, especially since that game is a part of a pattern of Nintendo to chuck everything that was on the WiiU towards its more succesful platforms. Promotions with regards to remakes is also iffy, and Louie himself is (and do correct me if I’m wrong on this) best suited for a (semi)clone.

Want: 20%
Sure I like the fellow design-wise, but there’s just a lot of things that could be better than a chap I can dig the design of, especially since the reason of his inclusion is wonky at best.

Octoling: 8.88% (Yeah its low but I’m dedicated to the reference now)

Noms go to Off the Hook

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Louie

Chance: 10%

Louie's chances will largely depend on if you believe that Nintendo left the last slot alone to be decided later on. This does make sense considering that Nintendo knew it would take over a year to release all the fighters and they had a lot of games coming out in 2021 instead of 2020. Now the caveat with this is we can't be sure exactly how much Covid affected the development of their games, although it's clear it did to a certain degree.

The reason why this theory is important is because it fundamentally changes Louie's chances. If Nintendo chose all the characters in late 2019, I would give Louie a 1% because even if Pikmin 3 Deluxe was in development by then, they would not have foreseen how successful it would be and how much they would push the series later. Whereas if the last character was decided in late 2020 or early 2021, Louie would be in a pretty good position as Nintendo is actually giving a **** about Pikmin by producing more merchandise and even making a mobile game. If we knew for sure that this theory is correct, I would give him a 20%.

But how much do I personally believe in this theory? 50/50. And if this theory is true, I would lean toward a first party since Nintendo wouldn't have to worry about negotiations falling through, thus provoking panicking and picking a sloppy choice for the finale. But the fact that this theory relies heavily on conjecture means that I'm not a firm believer in it. Hence why I put my score in the middle of 1% and 20%.

Want: 55%

Usually I would abstain here since I haven't played pikmin but Drifloon has done such a good job selling this character that I'm on board. And if I remember correctly doesn't Louie control monsters or something? That sounds awesome.

Prediction: Octoling - 18%

Noms: Destroy All Humans content x10

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The main villain of Pikmin 2

Chance: 1% Usually I'd give a 0 for this but I feel like it's still very much possible as my doesn't really hold water, but my big gripe with this is the fact that Pikmin only has Olimar and an alt that was planned to be a clone, the way I feel here is that if we were going to get another Pikmin character, then it'd have been Alph or nothing. The next issue is why pick Louie of all characters? He's not particularly important in Pikmin 3 to the point of being an NPC iirc but he also has very little fan demand meaning I just can't see any reason beyond having a curveball for the sake of having one or a villain for the sake of more villains despite Louie not really being a villain but rather just an asshole coworker.

Want: Abstain, I don't know what you'd need to do for another Pikmin character so I can't particularly gauge my interest

Soma x10

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Louie

Chance: 10%. With one slot left, Louie’s chance is quite low. But given that’s Pikmin ha see quite a bit of popularity, Louie’s chance could rise in the future, but Alph as an Olimar Echo is more likely then Louie as a solo fighter.

Want: 80%. However, Louie would totally be fun to play as, and I can see him, Wario, King Dedede and King K.Rool fight each other in a food eating free for all. Overall, Louie would make a great Smash Bros rep.

Prediction: Octoling: 15%

Noms: 10 for Lugia, 5 for Echo: Bowser and 5 for Boss: Rayquaza

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Louie

Chance: 1%.
As much as I love Pikmin, I have to be realistic here. there are way more choices in the gaming landscape that Nintendo would consider before they settled on the idea of a second Pikmin character. Even then, they'd probably settle on a Bulborb or something because it's more recognizable. He's not entirely out of the picture, but I don't think he's on Nintendo's radar.

Want: 100%
It's not fair, man. Pikmin is such a fantastic franchise, and to see it get such a lackluster, surface-level representation in Smash is sad to see. I mean, I'm glad it's here, but it could be SO much more if they decided to tend to the issues it's had since Brawl (Olimar doesn't emote, his moveset encourages the sacrifice of Pikmin rather than preserving them [which is just backwards to Pikmin as a whole], Flowers don't do anything, attack animations that blend into one another, overall lack of representation). Even though the former issues can't really be remedied with a challenger pack, the last once certainly can.

Louie is a major character of the Pikmin series and it'd make sense to see him in Smash. I'm a major advocate for him riding a downsized/baby Titan Dweevil for the duration of the match. He could represent the enemies and obstacles of Pikmin as an inverse to how Olimar represents the heroes of Pikmin. Elemental hazards like Fire, Water, Electricity, and Poison could be incorporated as a cycling neutral special, while Bomb Rocks could occupy another special move slot. The Geyser from Pikmin 2 would work as an interesting recovery mechanic, and petrifying enemies with Ultra-Bitter spray and tossing them around could be pretty fun.

A slow-scrolling stage based on the Submerged Castle from Pikmin 2 would also be very distinguished from the two mellower grass stages Pikmin has gotten so far.The Waterwraith could appear after a certain amount of time and chase fighters on the edge of the screen in an attempt to run them over. And to top it off, it would also get remixes of boss themes and more sinister tracks from Pikmin. This should go without saying but I'm saying it anyway because we haven't gotten anything like those except for a couple of tracks from the exceedingly mediocre spin-off game. Overall, more Pikmin stuff in Smash would be a delight to see, but I'm not holding my breath for it to happen.

Noms: Nabbit x 10

EDIT: grammar, and smashboards deleted the last sentence of my last paragraph for some reason so I had to re-add it

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Abstaining on Louie.

Octoling chance prediction: 18.00%

Nominations:
Concept: Rhythm Heaven rep x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Louie

0.5% Chance

Pikmin would have gotten Alph first, and he got folded into just an alt. To me, that is already a terrible sign. You had the opportunity for an echo or even semi clone with Alph, and instead of promoting him in the game that embraced clones, you decide to keep him an alt. If I had to guess, that means that Nintendo and Sakurai are content with the Pikmin content we have in Smash already.

It does not help that Louie does not really fit the mold of a shill rep. Is he in Pikmin 3? Yes. But his role is not as central as the character who got folded into an alt. Even if we were going to squint and say Louie could shill Pikmin 3 on the Switch, that's last years news. Could he still be chosen as a shill rep? In theory, yes. But Nintendo has so many other choices to shill, I doubt Louie would be chosen.

10% Want

I have absolutely zero desire to see Louie in the game. The only reason this is not lower is that I do not hate Pikmin. I love Pikmin 2, and I would always love for more pikmin music to get a facelift for smash. But what I enjoy about Pikmin 2 Louie...would not be present in Smash Louie. I like Louie's journal entries and the implications behind them. I like Louie on the Titan Dweevil. Outside of maybe that as a final smash, most of what I would enjoy would not be present probably.

It also hurts Louie that this is the last character. If we were doing this months ago, I might have been more generous. But unless I like a character, my want scores are going to be more polarized going forward. Here we have a character that I would inevitably call a disappointment if they were the last character. So yeah, sorry Louie.

Kiryu x 10

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Quoting my old post because I don't see what would've changed for Louie between then and now.

insert the lyrics to Louie Louie

Chance: 2%
I don't really see it, Pikmin is not as big of an attention grabber as other Nintendo series. Maybe if Pikmin 4 really materializes down the line soon, he'd have a shot.

I assume that everyone who's calling him "the other Pikmin guy" hasn't played Pikmin. This guy isn't Olimar clone material, he'd be a freaking beast summoner. With Louie you get a guy who can fight using all of the cool Pikmin monsters. Louie's pretty much the closest thing to a human villain in Pikmin, he's a selfish, cowardly dunce, yet he's also incredibly relatable. I get it, Pikmin is more of a niche thing and people would rather get characters from elsewhere, but I'd be delighted to see more of that universe.

Noms: ****ing Tidus x5
Pokéball prediction: huh, this is a weird one. I'll go with 3.08%
Between that post and now, Pikmin 3 Deluxe was released. It sold really well (thank goodness) so hopefully that means Pikmin 4 can get out of development hell, but as Smash is concerned it happened too late. And honestly I doubt Nintendo thought it would sell anywhere near what it ended up selling. That means Louie's shill potential would hinge on advertising a remake for a game in which he isn't the main character, that would release over a year before he was announced as a fighter. Yeah, not likely.

Noms: Magolor
Octoling prediction: will this finally be the moment a character I nominate gets a good chance score? Here goes nothing... 17.93%

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
Louie

Chance: 0.1% Okay, seriously what does Louie have going for him?

Fan Demand? Moderate at best, both then and now.
Advertising? Pikmin 3 Deluxe sold well, but even then Louie doesn't have that prominent of a role in it, especially compared to someone like Alph.
Competition? So many likelier choices from Pikmin alone, let alone Nintendo.

He has no chance. The only reason I'm not giving him 0% is because nothing's technically impossible, and that's LITERALLY THE ONLY THING KEEPING HIS CHANCES FROM FLAT 0.

Want: 10% I have no desire to see another Pikmin character in the game, especially not as the final fighter. Even then, there are other characters I'd choose over Louie.

Predict Octoling: 15%

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Meat Boy x325
Corvo Attano x300
Tetra x260
Senator Armstrong x260
[Rerate] Bandana Dee x245
Ori x240
Gunvolt x225
[Rerate] Kiryu x225

250 - 201

Ratchet & Clank x215
Boss: Rayquaza x210
Stage: Bowser's Castle x207
Giygas x205

200 - 151

Sackboy x185
[Rerate] Tails x185
Kaede Akamatsu x185
Echo (Bowser) x153

150 - 101

Fulgore x147
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x138
Boss: Ender Dragon x138
Mii Costume: Monika x135
Concept: Spirit Events continue after the Fighter Pass x135
Soma Cruz x127
Stage: Tetris x120
D.Va x115
Concept: Destroy All Humans content x115
[Rerate] Gene x110
Concept: Crazy Taxi character x105
Magolor x105

100 - 51

DJ Octavio x100
Off The Hook x100
[Rerate] Eggman x95
Legends Trainer x90
Concept: Rhythm Heaven rep x90
Concept: Next game is not a reboot x85
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x75
[Rerate] Sora x70
Echo (Olimar) x66
[Rerate] Zhao Yun x65
Ghirahim x60
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Jin Sakai x55
[Rerate] Agumon x55

50 - 25

Plague Knight x50
Springtrap x50
Lugia x45
Mii Costume: Zagreus x40
E.M.M.I. x40
Filia (Skullgirls) x31
Captain Charlie (Pikmin) x30
Joe Random (MLB: The Show) x30
Concept: Large and Normal Final Destination made into separate stages x25

Under 25

Regigigas x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20
Concept: Bonus Fighter x20
Donbe and Hikari x20
[Rerate] Spyro x20
[Rerate] Earthworm Jim x16
Yarn Yoshi x15
[Rerate] Shovel Knight x15
Echo: Ms. Pac-Man x15
[Rerate] Ezio Auditore da Firenze x15
Concept: Bonus Stages to fill out the stage select screen x15
Tetris x10
Slash Kamei (Snowboard Kids) x10
Jesse Faden x10
Infernape x10
[Rerate] Gex x10
[Rerate] Concept: Echo Fighters Pass x10
[Rerate] Q*Bert x10
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x10
Omori x10
Mii Costume: Among Us x10
[Rerate] Brian x7
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5
Concept: KOS-MOS with T-elos alt x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
[Rerate] Elma x5
Siris (Infinity Blade) x5
Concept: Tsukihime rep x5
Concept: Challenger Pack with more than 15 spirits x5
Arcueid Brunestud (Tsukihime) x5
Firebrand x1

Bandana Dee walks past Ori and ends the day in fifth place. Kiryu joins the top seven, tied with Gunvolt for last.

Magolor and Destroy All Humans content travel past 100 noms.

Agumon evolves into 50 noms. (This pun makes no sense but I'm tired alright)

Laniv

Smash Champion
Louie? Gee...

Chance: 1%

Louie has a host of obstacles standing in his way. The most obvious is that Alph or the other two Pikmin 3 captains feel like they'd be next in line. Even a Bulborb could get in ala Piranha Plant, being a very recognizable enemy from the series. Of course, this relies on the assumption that a Pikmin character would be chosen, which brings me to my next point. People just... aren't really looking to Pikmin for a new character. Louie just doesn't have the demand to make waves in the speculation scene. There's really not a good reason to bring him in.

I will say this: Since Alph is an alt, there's nothing stopping Louie from getting in as an Olimar semi-clone.

Want: 12%

I'll admit, the "King of Bugs" summoner-type movesets I've seen for him are interesting enough for me to think "Oh, that'd be cool" for maybe 5 seconds. Other than that, I'd prefer Alph as an Olimar semi-clone/echo. And, I suppose, he'd technically be the first Pikmin villain in Smash Bros.

Also I'd get to beat him up for everything he did in 2 and 3, so that'd be a plus.

Predictions for Octoling: 22% Chance, 73% Want

Nominate Magolor x 5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Octoling from Splatoon.

Predict Mii Costume: 2B

-----

Splatoon Octoling music for today:

-----

Abstaining for today

2B Mii Costume prediction: 14.00%

Nominations:
Concept: Rhythm Heaven rep x5

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Octoling

Chance: 15%. Given Splatoon’s popularity and the franchise getting a new game next year, I could see Octoling get in, and a greater chance in later instalments. But I see Octoling as an Inkling Echo, so an echo fighter being DLC is at a low chance, due to certain news.

Want: 75%. Octoling would totally be fun to play as, and I can see them and the Inklings having a 4 v 4 match. Overall, Octolings would make great Smash Bros reps.

Prediction: 2B Mii Costume (5%)

Noms: 5 for Boss: Ender Dragon

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Octoling

Chance: 35%. Splatoon checks all the boxes for a promotional pick: The franchse is relevant, popular, and (most importantly) getting a new game. Splatoon has enough variety among its weapons for Octoling to be more than just an echo fighter.

Want: 30%. I mean, she'd be alright. Not my first pick, though. I'd prefer a more visually distinct character, or maybe even a villain like DJ Octavio.

Noms: Nabbit x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Octoling

Chance: 20%

They are in a good position, i'd wager. While there are 26 songs already in the game, to my knowledge the Octo expansion doesn't have any so there is still more room for splatoon content. Splatoon is one of Nintendo's modern darlings, that much is clear, and with Splatoon 3 being a thing it's clear that the series has a bright future. As for the third game being too late to be a factor, that is a good point and it will definitely miss the potential promotional window. But considering that the Octolings already exist and can draw their movesets from two games plus an expansion, I don't think it kills their chances either. Really, I think the only big obstacle is the substantial amount of first party promotion picks that Nintendo could have gone with instead. And no, I don't think the Marie and Callie costumes matter. Kazuya killed that argument in my eyes.

Want: 1%

To tell the truth, I don't care about Splatoon that much. I tried a bit of it but I just didn't really get into it and it doesn't help that I'm not much of a multiplayer guy. If the Octolings make it in, great. I know they will make a lot of people happy. But for me, they would garner the most "meh" reaction.

Prediction: 2B costume - 2%

Noms: Destroy All Humans content x10

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
About two days off here
Chance: 2.5%
Splatoon is very popular and the Octolings seem like they'll be a mainstay. If we're getting a promotional pick to end things off, they are a decent possibility. Since Splatoon 2 kinda got the short end of the stick in the base game, I could theoretically see an Octoling pack fixing that. It's hugely a gamble though, there's no guarantee they'd do it and Splatoon 3 might just started development too late to make an impact. Octolings may also have the same problem I see in Louie in that they may just scream echo-fighter too much for Nintendo to pick them. Octolings still have way more to work with and just giving the different weapons and gear is a more realistic concept than King of bugs but it's still something to consider imo.

Want: 8%
Eh, Octolings were one of my personal base game picks for an Inkling echoe, but I always felt hesitant on having them as DLC. I'd be a fan of the content they'd bring but I'm personally more focussed on first-parties like Bandana Dee and a RH rep at the moment.

2B Mii: 16.24%
Bandana Dee x5

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Jack Black Sesamestreetlings

Chance: 15% The chances aren't too bad all things considered, with Splatoon 2 still being a major success proving the franchise isn't a one hit wonder, Splatoon 3 on the horizon and as for the topic, a popular DLC expansion for 2. There are two key points in Octoling's favour here that are worth noting, for starters, Splatoon 2 fits Nintendo's MO when it comes to adding first party DLC as the game they're from is a recent title with no reason to doubt it'd fail, the other point is about Splatoon itself, or rather, how Inkling incorporates the game, Inkling only ever uses stuff from the first game meaning Octoling has a lot going for them in this regard.

Want: 0% I really don't like Splatoon and I while I was ok with Inklings, there's also a significant difference between those situations as Inkling was inevitable so I just accepted it would happen whereas Octolings aren't nearly as likely as Inklings, I'd just rather have something I like which isn't really asking much due to my wide taste in games, though now that I think about it this is more of a Nintendo thing as every first party Switch title I give a **** about is already in the game

Soma x10

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Meat Boy x325
Corvo Attano x300
Tetra x260
Senator Armstrong x260
[Rerate] Bandana Dee x255
Ori x240
[Rerate] Kiryu x235

250 - 201

Gunvolt x225
Ratchet & Clank x215
Boss: Rayquaza x215
Stage: Bowser's Castle x207
Giygas x205

200 - 151

Sackboy x185
[Rerate] Tails x185
Kaede Akamatsu x185
Echo (Bowser) x158

150 - 101

Fulgore x147
Concept: Spirit Events continue after the Fighter Pass x145
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x138
Boss: Ender Dragon x138
Mii Costume: Monika x135
Soma Cruz x132
Concept: Destroy All Humans content x125
Stage: Tetris x120
Magolor x120
D.Va x115
[Rerate] Gene x110
DJ Octavio x110
Off The Hook x105
Concept: Crazy Taxi character x105

100 - 51

[Rerate] Eggman x97
Concept: Rhythm Heaven rep x95
Legends Trainer x90
Concept: Next game is not a reboot x85
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x75
[Rerate] Sora x73
Echo (Olimar) x66
[Rerate] Zhao Yun x65
Ghirahim x60
[Rerate] Agumon x60
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Jin Sakai x55
Lugia x55

50 - 25

Plague Knight x50
Springtrap x50
Mii Costume: Zagreus x40
E.M.M.I. x40
Filia (Skullgirls) x31
Captain Charlie (Pikmin) x30
Joe Random (MLB: The Show) x30
Concept: Large and Normal Final Destination made into separate stages x25

Under 25

Regigigas x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20
Concept: Bonus Fighter x20
Donbe and Hikari x20
[Rerate] Spyro x20
[Rerate] Earthworm Jim x16
Yarn Yoshi x15
[Rerate] Shovel Knight x15
Echo: Ms. Pac-Man x15
[Rerate] Ezio Auditore da Firenze x15
Concept: Bonus Stages to fill out the stage select screen x15
Tetris x10
Slash Kamei (Snowboard Kids) x10
Jesse Faden x10
Infernape x10
[Rerate] Gex x10
[Rerate] Concept: Echo Fighters Pass x10
[Rerate] Q*Bert x10
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x10
Omori x10
Mii Costume: Among Us x10
Nabbit x10
[Rerate] Brian x7
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5
Concept: KOS-MOS with T-elos alt x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
[Rerate] Elma x5
Siris (Infinity Blade) x5
Concept: Tsukihime rep x5
Concept: Challenger Pack with more than 15 spirits x5
Arcueid Brunestud (Tsukihime) x5
Firebrand x1

Kiryu beats up Gunvolt and throws him out of the top seven.

DJ Octavio and Off The Hook dance past 100 noms.

Lugia soars past 50 noms.

A challenger approaches! It's Nabbit, with 10 noms in his bag.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
veemo

chances: 5% i really dont think we're gonna get them. the success of splatoon lead me to believe a second character is only a matter of time and since their upgrade with octo expansion and 3 and their popularity they are the best choice. however i dont think its gonna happen for this game, smash 6 maybe but not this time. thing about octolings is that theyre ideal echoes, granted an entirely unique moveset could work for them but they are functionally identical to inklings so i cant not think of them as echoes. of course that might not matter for smash, dark samus had plenty that could make her unique but that didnt happen and daisy who is functionally identical to peach in all the games theyre in together she ended up with moveset that uses moves shes never used, bar two things i think. well regardless of their potential as echoes there was something unceremonious about spaltoon's inclusion in the game, though that could be me, which make me thinks sakurai wont bother regardless of what nintendo say.

want: 100% i love them. at first i was neutral but octo expansion made me really like them. i wouldnt have taken over the support thread if i didnt. and now that theyre being put on the same level as the inklings it just makes sense to me that they should be in. i have no problems with clones, i play as all three links all the time, so id fine with having them as clones but im not against the idea of a unique moveset. over all itd just be really great to have them in smash.

noms go to spirit events continue after pass.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's like poetry, it rhymes

Chance: 30%
We all know Splatoon was a big hit. At the time the project plan for Ultimate was finalized in December 2015 it was already apparent, with Splatoon having sold 1.6M units. But now? That same game is at almost 5M with its sequel hitting a comfortable 12.5 million. It's one of Nintendo's biggest hit franchises. A second fighter is guaranteed and it's only a question of when they'll be added.

But how does the franchise fare in terms of getting its new fighter now? Here are the facts: Splatoon in Smash is mainly centered on Splatoon 1 content, with Splatoon 2 getting less songs and Octo Expansion just getting the Octoling Spirits. So there's plenty of room to make a pack centered around either of those games. Splatoon's situation reminds me of Xenoblade's at base game and lo and behold, they filled in the gaps with that one.

In fact, Splatoon 2 is eerily similar to Arms and Xenoblade 2, the games that gave us our first party newcomers for this Pass. A 2017 Switch game that didn't get much content on base game, only for it to get revisited with Fighter Pass 2? That'd be par for the course at this point. Or they could make the pack "Smash Bros. X Splatoon Octo Expansion" and theme it around that, it is Octoling we're talking about after all.

And then there's the elephant in the room: Splatoon 3. Obviously it's expected to be one of the Switch's biggest titles of 2022 (if not in general) and so if the timing is right it would be a no-brainer for a promotion. It's not going to be the end of the year game because that's clearly Zelda, but that leaves a lot of room on the calendar. Splatoon games have all released between May and July but for 3 I have a hunch that it could be a January-March release. It was announced pretty early so development is probably going well and I think Nintendo would like to replicate New Horizons' (and the first BotW's) massive March release with long legs for what is also a more casual-friendly release. If that's the case then we might as well give up because "Smash Bros. X Splatoon 3" is the kind of corporate synergy Nintendo wouldn't give up.

Basically Splatoon is in an amazing position no matter how you look at it but the question is would Octoling be chosen? Most people see Octoling as Echo material and unlike Isabelle, there's no technical reason that couldn't be the case. And there is competition for Splatoon, like main villain DJ Octavio or one of the pop duos that are such a big part of each game's identity. However in the era of Ultimate I think it's fair to say that Sakurai has drifted away from side characters and now aims mostly for the playable cast that can represent the game's gameplay. As the second playable characters (who also represent the enemy faction) Octolings are by far the frontrunner. And at the end of the day the question isn't "wouldn't they be an Echo instead?" but rather "if Nintendo pitched this to Sakurai, would be able to make it work?" And the answer to that is yes, he would. There are enough weapons in Splatoon to fill several unique movesets, and frankly it doesn't look like Sakurai says no to anything, even technical difficulties weren't enough for him to can the Xenoblade 2 rep.

I feel like Octoling is the first party equivalent of Phoenix Wright in that they have nearly everything in their favor. This doesn't mean they'll get in, but I have to consider them frontrunners. All it takes for a fighter to get added is for a franchise to catch Nintendo's attention, and they Splatoon definitely has that.

Octolings are better than Inklings. Now that we're clear on that basic and undisputed fact of life: I love Splatoon. I love the creativity of its gameplay, I love the mechanics, I love the level design, I love the lore, I love the music. Splatoon 3 is one of my most anticipated games. So yeah, Octolings in Smash would be awesome. Ideally the pack would be centered on Octo Expansion because the weird neon aesthetic of that game would make for a great stage and the songs. The songs. But if it has to be Splatoon 3 with that cool apocalyptic vibe then so be it. As long as they add Fly Octo Fly please I need it

Noms go to Magolor
2B Mii prediction: 0.5%

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Octoling Chance: 8.88%
Funny joke aside, I do think Splatoon is a sleeper pick for a second rep. With Splatoon 2 barely having its surface scratched when it comes to content, Splatoon 3 on the horizon as a big 2022 game (being probably what Nintendo believes we’ll be playing right after Smash is over) and the series being that sweetspot of big series and disappointing finale, Splatoon has the cards.

Who doesn’t have those cards are the Octolings. While Octolings are the second in line; the Luigi to Mario, it’s this relationship with the Inklings that makes them the perfect Echo pick, or at least semi-clones. A full moveset, while possible, doesn’t serve either the Octolings or the Inklings.

Want: 80%
Veemo

Yeah so I like Sploon.

Noms go to Off The Hook

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Hey so genuine question, there's a chance we get the final character annouced next week so what happens then?
Well, that entirely depends on if we do get someone soon. Which given Sakurai's own statements, I think we have until September at least.

In terms of what will happen to this thread, that depends entirely if Smashboards does support Newcomer Speculation after DLC is over. If the subform will stay active, there are a few options of what may occur. We would likely start to focus on a far off Ultimate DX or 6mash. The format likely will end up staying relatively similar to what it has been this time though.

I guess this is a good time to hijack this post to just talk about my thoughts on running RTC this time. One thing I think I would like to champion for this era of RTC was the shift from it just being a forum game of sorts to a thread of actual debate. Smash speculation will always be a bit of a crap shoot, but I think we as a collective did ok. The only real misses RTC had were Plant, Joker, and Kazuya imo. We were pretty high on SNK compared to the rest of the community, and while not everyone said Sephiroth was likely I would say that we did rate him better than most of the community. We did overrate some characters in the past, such as Geno, Decidueye, or Monster Hunter, but most of those cases were overrated beyond just in RTC in terms of chance. No one is perfect, but I do think that the format shift did help us. I do know that some people might not enjoy the fact that they have to write a bit more, but the current rules were written so that it would be less of a far departure. That way, people could just write something short and go on with their day, or do a larger write up to push whatever character or concept that they wanted to discuss.

If there is one thing that I would knock myself on, it is that I have had a difficult past few years and as a result I could have done significantly better as a host. There have been plenty of times where days went on for far too long. Granted, I am a big fan of letting days go fro around 48 hours. Speculation, especially during DLC, is not nearly as active. I like giving each day some room to breathe. But there are plenty of examples where a day has gone on for too long. I would say that running RTC as a team has been a strong step up, as it has made this process a lot easier. Making RTC a game that has a team running it has been a lifesaver for me. Running RTC vanilla is hard. Keeping track of the noms list, managing the thread, keeping a proper tally of votes, music posts, etc, its tough stuff. In the early days, back when I was still in college, I remember there were sometimes people would PM me asking to check my math, because a character did not make top ten in want due to me rounding off some decimals at some point. But transitioning RTC to a team based leadership structure has certainly made it a lot more manageable. Even in the nightmare scenarios where someone needs to be dealt with, it is much easier to act as a council rather than one person unilaterally deciding what is right or wrong.

Outreach outside of RTC has always been a bit of a difficult topic to look at. I know plenty of people do not like RTC because it inevitably ends up saying that their most wanted or a character they love is not likely or some people do not like the character. But honestly, I think that outreach is super important. I like it when people from other threads come in to give their argument. And while RTC might be a bit of an awkward piece of data to use, even controversial characters tend to rise in want as time goes on. KOS MOS is a great example. Despite her days being...difficult, the data shows that the more KOS MOS was discussed, the more likely people saw she was and the more open to her people were. RTC does a good job of helping people make the case for a character they think would be cool. Not every support thread has thousands of replies. Not every character gets to have a thread with millions of views discuss them, we cant all be Geno or Isaac. But that is part of the magic of RTC.

In terms of what I think could be done to help RTC grow in the future, I think the easiest thing would be to just keep reaching out to communities, maybe to some intra community events at some point. Maybe we could do a crew battle vs some other community on Smashboards, or we can hose mini tourneys. Who knows.

As for what role I will play in the future, I can say that at the very least for 6mash or Ult DX, I likely will be involved somewhat. I also expect to still be around for the post Ultimate discussion, where the RTC team and I will discuss what direction to push the thread. Perhaps we will do something else while the thread is in limbo, or we transition towards 6mash speculation. I honestly do not know completely yet, but I do think that this iteration of RTC has been a lot more fun that past iterations. It feels right now a lot more grounded due to the rules changes. A great example is Terry's day vs the SNK day we did after the rules change, the difference is night and day. I hope that in the future, even if I am not running 6mash rtc, the rule changes that we put in place will still be there.

Anywho, Octoling time

2% Chance

I guess you can make the case they can shill Splatoon 3 and the Octo Expansion, but I do not really think we need that. Splatoon 2 already got a lot of content in the base game. Could it have gotten more? Yes obviously, but it still got a good bit of content. We would essentially either have Octoling rep the Octo Expansion or Splatoon 3. Splatoon 3 I think is unlikely. With only a vague Early 2022 release date, I doubt that the dev team would choose it to be their promotional pick. As for the Octo Expansion, it would feel weird to me to shill DLC for a game that is five yeras old, when its sequel is literally coming out next year.

If we did get a second splatoon rep, Octolings are the obvious choice. They translate so much better into Smash than the DJ would. But right now, I am not confident that we will end up seeing Splatoon get any more content in Smash rn.

20% Want

Ok, this is one of my Nintendo confessions that I know I will get some flak for, but I never was the biggest splatoon fan. The controls just felt kind of obtsue for me and I never could get into it. I like the world in concept, and I like that it is a huge success (even if it means we will wait a long time for a new Mario Kart). But I just do not care for the series that much. At the very least, even if I do not care for Splatoon, I did like playing Inkling a lot. If we did get Octoling, I could easily see them being a ton of fun like Inkling is. But for the last character, I am gonna have to be a bit harsher for want. If this was just for the next smash, easy 50%, I would be neutral ish. But for last? Sorry.

Kiryu rerate x 10

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Octoling

Chance: 10% -
Controversial, but I'm gonna give her the same chance as Louie yesterday. Splatoon, while somewhat lacking in 2 content, is still in a very good spot as it is. Splatoon getting into Smash at all was a big deal and Sakurai might not see it as something that "missed the boat" as he did with ARMS and Xenoblade 2. Furthermore, Octoling could be a promotional pick, but for what? Splatoon 3 is coming out next year but we don't know what TIME next year. It'll likely be mid year like 1 and 2 were (if potentially May counts as "Early 2022"), and even if one can say "COVID DELAY!", even if Sakurai has to stretch FP11 all the way until the end of the year it'd release at least a good 5-6 months before we even get the game. Which would be extremely weird. Furthermore, some said yesterday "Why use Louie, who's better for Pikmin 2, to shill Pikmin 3?" You can say the same here, why use a Splatoon 2 character (the Octoling here is clearly the Octo Expansion protagonist rather than the generic ones you see in story mode) to shill Splatoon 3. Rep Octo Expansion? That came out three years ago, way too late for a shill rep. Plus even if Nintendo wants another Splatoon rep, they could easily pick someone like DJ Octavio (who's in 1 AND 2, and likely will be in 3, for an overarching Splatoon character) or one of the idol duos, character that will no doubt make a ton of money off of people's very unhealthy obsessions with them (trust me, I've seen the worst of it). There's a chance, but I'm really not putting any money on them. And if you WANT to put your money on an octopus in a fighting game, put it on Squidward instead!

Also (no counting Righter Belmont since he's an echo), this would be the first time we'd see a series get two characters in its' debut Smash since Melee.

Want: 0% - If this were base game next game it'd be a little higher, but right now this is not what I would want to see as the final pick, especially with all of the....bad experiences I've had with Splatoon and its' community. I was never a huge fan of Splatoon but some of the characters designs intrigued me since I love sea creatures, and I did enjoy the lore behind the franchise and speculating on that. But the gameplay, while fun for a bit, wasn't really my cup of tea, I don't even have my copy of Splatoon 2 anymore. Ranked was frustrating, Salmon Run, while fun, got way too chaotic and unmanagable, rolling for equipment sucks, and I honestly thought the single player content was underwhelming. I'm really not a fan of the effect this franchise's success had on Nintendo, not am I happy to see this franchise be pampered while other, more fun (at least in my eyes) franchises are ignored or left to die. And don't get me started on the community, people call it chill but all I ever experienced was extreme toxicity, especially in regards to Splatfests, Splatoon Twitter people, and those cursed idol duos. You have no idea how many fits I saw people throw over Callie's initial omission from the game, or arguing about Squid Sisters vs. Off the Hook, shaming people who liked a particular idol, all culminating in the GRAND SCHISM of a server I was on. It's calmed down since but the damage has already been done. Really, the Squid Sisters and Off the Hook have more baggage than an airport carousel. And if I have to pick another Splatoon rep, I'd happily pick DJ Octavio instead. Separated from all of the baggage, hilarious personality, isn't tied to a particular game, and has an incredibly unique way of fighting (the perfect floating mech character if we don't get Eggman). He'd be a blast! What's that? Desperate to hear Fly Octo Fly in Smash? Simple, have all of that Octo content come with him! It's still fitting! Really,long story short, ending off Smash for the foreseeable future with Octoling would be the epitome of disappointment for me, second to someone like Rean or another FE rep.

Nominations:
DJ Octavio x10

Predictions:
2B Mii - 0.54% - Square Enix costumes tend to only come with Square Enix characters, and unless Square Enix miraculously double-dips, this is basically impossible. So I'm not expecting high scores here.

Laniv

Smash Champion
What do you call an octopus that plays guitar? A rocktopus!

Chance: 15%

Splatoon, I feel, is in the same position as Animal Crossing was in Smash 4. They got a character in base game, which is great! But... that one character is all they're gonna get. Like, sure, they could've added another Animal Crossing character for Smash 4's DLC, but we ended up waiting till next game for Isabelle. That's what I think is going to happen with Octolings. If (big if) Sakurai decides to consider Splatoon for Smash 6, Octolings are first in line. There is still the small chance they could add them now to promote Splatoon 3, but I simply don't see it happening.

Want: 60%

Well, I liked Splatoon 1. Never did play Splatoon 2. I think Octolings would be okay. There's enough material not covered by the Inklings that I think could service a decent semi-clone Octoling moveset.

Predicitions for 2B Mii Costume: 10% Chance, 32% Want
Nominate Nabbit x 5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Furthermore, some said yesterday "Why use Louie, who's better for Pikmin 2, to shill Pikmin 3?" You can say the same here, why use a Splatoon 2 character (the Octoling here is clearly the Octo Expansion protagonist rather than the generic ones you see in story mode) to shill Splatoon 3.
One of the few things we know about Splatoon 3 is that Octolings are playable, being one of the first things revealed means that Nintendo considers it a selling point for that game. Plus there's a good chance that Octolings defecting from the Octarians will play a role in the storyline.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
octoling

Chance: 65%. I do feel like they’re being slept on, with Splatoon 3 on the horizon, little Splatoon 2 content in base, and the ONLY Octo Expansion content being the two spirits of Agent 8’s humanoid and octopus forms.

they’re my babies 🥺

no but really. They could come with Octo Expansion music (I’ve wanted Fly Octo Fly since forever), they could use different weapons than the Inklings (potentially having a high risk high reward playstyle)

and of course

THEYRE HECKIN ADORABLE UwU

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
You're an octopus, yet you don't have 8 arms. Curious...

Chance: 7%
While Splatoon has definitely become one of Nintendo's newest flagship franchises, I just don't see an Octoling making it as the last fighter. It doesn't feel like a series that "missed the boat" per say in base game, and is well represented. The only way I can see them getting in is as a promotional pick, and even then it doesn't make that much sense, both by being way too early for the promotional window for Splatoon 3, which comes out next year, and an Octoling just wouldn't make sense to promote the game imo. I definitely would not put money on them getting in.

Want: 0% As a base game pick they'd be a solid addition: they'd be a perfect echo fighter concept, and Splatoon definitely feels like it should get another rep given it's recent success. As the last fighter though? Yeah, no, there are better Nintendo options, and I'd especially rather see a new IP get some love then one that already has a ton of it.

Predict 2B (or not 2B) Mii Costume: 5%

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Mii Costume: 2B from the NieR/Drakengard series.

Predict Pyramid Head from Silent Hill.

-----

NieR Automata music for today:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Cause we're gonna shout from hyyyyype
Even if it's just a Mii costuuuume
I can't think of any more jokey lyriiiiics

Chance: 10% I'd put this lower but the last Sakurai Presents gave us a bunch of costumes for one reason: They were popular requests who couldn't make the cut for whatever reason and I feel 2B also applies to this and regardless of who the final character is, more often than not we get Mii costumes of unrelated characters which makes me feel this is a genuine possibility, especially as Automata made NieR go from niche cult classic to ridiculously successful and one of the faces of modern SE with the remake/remaster that I still need to get and an unbeliveably successful mobile game, I wondered if SE would be a bit protective now that 2B is so iconic but then I remembered that ****ing Fall Guys got a 2B costume lmao.

Want: 99% I ****ing loved NieR Automata when I played it about a year ago and the game left such an impact on me and I couldn't help but sob at the end of the game, something everyone should play at least once, with 2B being a cool character with her design and slow but interesting development. The only reason it's not 100% is because I'd prefer playable above all else but hey, any acknowledgement is still really cool, never got the people who saw Mii Costumes as insults after all

Soma x10

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
2B Mii
Chance: 8.95%
I dunno, plausible? Nier Automata is certainly big enough for the team to notice and last I heard, Sakurai is friends with Yoko Taro. Still, Mii costumes are pretty hard to predict and they may even end it on just another set of four. A 2B costume would make sense yet is still far from a guarantee.

Want: 46.93%

Sure? I'm all for the wacky cursed costume combinations and this would be neat just for that. That said, I have no attachment to the Nier franchise and I've never really pogged at any costume after Sans so it would still be a bit whatever to me. Don't have much to discuss regarding most potential Mii costumes if I'm being honest.

Pyramid Head: 7.52%
Bandana Dee x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Mii Costume: 2B

Chance: 40%
I think this actually has a pretty good shot at happening. We know that Sakurai is a gigantic fan of the Drakengard/NieR series as he's played every game in the series and loved Automata. We also know that Sakurai has met with Yoko Taro in the past and has even met up with several NieR producers during a Christmas event in 2019.

Now you're probably thinking "well that meeting was after FP2 was decided on so it'd be too late for Mii Costume talks to happen." But we know that the Cuphead dev said that he wanted Cuphead content to appear in Smash in early 2019, even saying quote: "just a piece of paper, we don’t need anything. You can have those characters make an appearance." Keep in mind that this was in early 2019 while FP1 was still going and we got the Cuphead costume later in the same pass alongside with Byleth. This to me shows that mii costumes aren't always planned so far in advance (unlike with characters), so a costume deal happening during FP2 may very well be possible.

From what I understand, Square/Yoko Taro don't seem too hesitant to put 2B in crossovers (don't quote me on this but I think Yoko once said something like "I don't care what she's in as long as I get paid"). She's been crossing over into a ton of games and recently just got put in Fall Guys. If they were willing to put 2B in a game like that then I see no reason why they'd be against a Smash appearance. All of this shows to me that if they ever met with Sakurai (which they did as described above) then they definitely asked for NieR content in Smash, which again would line up for a costume given the timing mentioned in the previous paragraph.

I don't think Sephiroth and his mii costume wave hurts the chances of this happening by that much. We've seen with other companies like Capcom, Namco, and Bethesda that you can have costumes spread throughout the pass and not just in one go.

The only real thing hurting this is the lack of 2B/NieR on Nintendo systems. Tbh though I doubt Sakurai cares about this too much when it comes to costumes and if you really want to stretch it then we have NieR Automata content in Phantasy Star Online 2 which is on Switch. So yeah while it's hard to predict costumes this is one that I can actually see becoming a reality.

Want: 80%
I don't see 2B happening as a fighter so I'd be alright with her getting a cool Deluxe costume. I still have to get into the series (planning on getting a new PC and Automata one of the games I have listed to buy for it), but from what I've heard and seen of it, it's definitely worthy of appearing in Smash even in the form of just a costume. Also we really need more Deluxe costumes, especially for swordfighter.

-----

Pyramid Head chance prediction: 8.00%

Nominations:
Concept: Rhythm Heaven rep x10

Top Bottom