• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Lyncario

Smash Ace
And yet she's the main character? How does this even happen?
Basicaly, in the bullet hell games, we have a 3rd person pov, and in the printworks, we have the pov of the featured character (Kasen in WaHH, Satori in CDS, Miyoi in LE, the 3 fairies of light and Clownpiece in Sangetsu...), but never Reimu's pov. ZUN even said that he himself doesn't know how she thinks, which is something that I don't think other writers can say of their characters, especialy not their protagonists.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Basicaly, in the bullet hell games, we have a 3rd person pov, and in the printworks, we have the pov of the featured character (Kasen in WaHH, Satori in CDS, Miyoi in LE, the 3 fairies of light and Clownpiece in Sangetsu...), but never Reimu's pov. ZUN even said that he himself doesn't know how she thinks, which is something that I don't think other writers can say of their characters, especialy not their protagonists.
Yeah, in general Touhou characters are pretty much up to interpretation. That's a major reason why there's so many fanworks; Extreme freedom. For minor characters you might as well be making an OC.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Indie duo? Indie duo. Probably our likeliest indies... which doesn't give much hope for the others.

Chance (Quote): 10%. That's like a 90% in indie terms, which goes to show how unlikely I think they are. The big thing that Quote has is his legacy, which compared to relevance or popularity I don't think helps in the case of third parties. Cave Story isn't a nothing game, by no means, but it never really hit the highs something like Shovel Knight did, let alone Undertale or Five Nights at Freddy's, and these days isn't talked about very often outside of the context of Smash. I'm personally a believer that Nintendo history is a footnote at best and doesn't help any candidate, but if Nicalis has a strong relationship that would help... well, that assumes Nicalis has that strong relationship. Odds are, that relationship is tenuous at best, if it exists at all. I don't think Nicalis would squander a SMASH FIGHTER of all things, or even a simple Mii Costume/Spirit Event. We're down to three more characters, but I think Quote only has one shot left (Challenger Pack 9, the upcoming one as of this rating), after that being technically possible but not reasonable. I feel like if we do see Quote, he's joining Sans, Cuphead, Vault Boy and Geno in the Gunner afterlife.

Chance (Reimu): 5%. At first glance, Reimu is a character in a similar boat to, say, SEGA's Arle and Shinguji as being characters who Japan would go gaga over even if the western world would be mostly confused. Reimu's western fan demand is considerably bigger than either's, albeit due to seniority more than anything else. She might have been in a better position in a bygone age, as there was a time where Touhou and the internet were very close together. Even if Touhou no longer has a stranglehold over the internet, its impact and legacy can be felt to this day in other indie games, though seldom past that. However today, I feel Reimu's situation is much worse than either of them. Firstly her indie status probably still holds her back from the same level of prominence and relationships with Nintendo through ZUN like SEGA has. Second, there is no major official push to promote the series in the west. It's all based on the efforts of fans, and that's fine, but I don't think it helps Reimu's case. But overall... it's just something telling me that Reimu is most likely not happening. I feel like it's simply because... I dunno, in this case it's a hunch, but I don't think Reimu has a chance after CP9. And, well, Swordfighter exists.

Want (Quote): 20%. The epitome of a pick that's not for me. I do not care for Cave Story. Didn't like it. Still haven't gotten around to giving it another shot. But, I think the difference here is that Quote has simply too much of a legacy to be ignored. At least acknowledge the character with a Mii Costume. I've heard really bad things about Nicalis, yeah, but to be honest, are they really THAT much worse than, say, Konami or even Nintendo? Good moveset potential, check. Fans want him? Check. Cave Story's soundtrack is great? Check. But the big reason why my indie scores are likely to be low is because if I want to see indie characters in a Smash environment, I'll check out Fraymakers or Indie Pogo, or anything on those lines.

Want (Reimu) 5%. While not SEGA-owned, she's Arle competition in the sense that Reimu hits much of the same beats when it comes to where Touhou is in the world. I can't see us getting both. Unlike most indies, she's probably not happening in any Indie platfighters anytime soon, so I do feel like Smash is where it happens or it doesn't. As a result, I'm willing to swallow my pride in her case, since I feel like this is Reimu's big shot to be in a platform fighter and reestablish Touhou's internet dominance. Hey down the line, in Smash Continuation or whatever, Arle will be likelier after Reimu got in Ultimate... although at that point, with no Joker or Bayonetta nobody who likes either will like her. But that's not the topic of discussion, it's Reimu, and I'm not very fond of that anymore.

TF2 rep x Max. Hayabusa typically does well, but I feel like with the limited slots remaining he's not going to perform as well as he has before. 39.85%. Adol hasn't had his stuff debunked, but hasn't really had any advancements either. 20.73%.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The King and Queen of Indies

I wanted to quote my previous ratings for these two since nothing has changed for them. Time has no bearing on the legacy of these two, and Touhou is probably still getting games. There was a scare that Nicalis was taking down Cave Story's free downloads, but that was a false alarm. There's a "leak" going around that has Reimu in it but it's blatantly fake so I'm not paying it any attention. Like I said, nothing has changed. But I do want them 20 noms and my old posts don't get me them, so I guess it's time to explain the odds of these two once again.

Touhou is probably the earliest example of what we now consider an indie game; it came out in a time where there were already enough developers to establish a norm of what a studio was, and bucked that norm by being made by one dude on home computers. And it kept going and going and going. Nowadays it's this major cult phenomenon with the huge conventions. And on the non-Japan side of things, it's this minor cult phenomenon with a dedicated following. And all over the world its influence in the shmup genre is impossible to overstate. But Touhou has been kinda like a slow burn, its success and influence just happening over time but to the layman, there isn't a moment where the series became big; no splashy, defining title that you can point to that condenses everything that Touhou has done. Which is a contrast to the indie phenomenon as we know it.

That's where I bring in Cave Story, and why we can have two wildly different yet equally important forerunners of indies. Cave Story is the moment when indies became Indies. It's the classic Cinderella story of the single developer making the little game that could, but instead of slowly building a franchise it just blows up. The acclaim, the success, the sheer scale of what Cave Story did, that inspired many others to try out game development because they could be the next Cave Story. 15 years later and there's a thriving indie scene, and we aren't even that surprised when one breaks out and sells 1, 2, 3 million copies.

So yeah, both Touhou and Cave Story have a similar claim to fame. If you compare them to every other game in existence, then yeah, maybe Quote and Reimu aren't the most iconic characters. And maybe their sales don't measure up. But, honestly, their impacts aren't too shabby even in a major scale. I mean, Touhou still kinda invented a genre, and if you just consider the bullet hell a variation of the shmup, then it's easily the most influential shmup this side of the golden age of arcades. As for Cave Story, it's usually credited with proving the relevance and commercial viability of the Metroidvania and the retro throwback. You see triple A studios making those nowadays. But there's no question that they stand out from the crowd of indies and either of them would make for appropriate representatives of the entire indie scene. So if any indies can make it into Smash it's these two. Oh, and they're the two big indies I can think about that are Japanese creations. That could make a difference honestly.

I'll give them both 19% chance and 90% want.

Noms: Marina x10 47 x10
Hayabusa prediction: 41.53%
Adol prediction: 30.5%

This, basically, is the biggest reason why Quote is unlikely. There would be no point negotiating with Cave Story's owners if the IP suddenly trades hands, forcing them to negotiate again.
Leaving aside the fact that there appear to be no actual legal disputes ongoing, that's not how licensing works. If the IP changes hands the new holder would still have to honor any agreements made by the previous owner. Rights are transferred with the obligations they generate.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Honestly I can't help but laugh whenever someone calls Reimu "moe" when this is basically her canonical personality.
(Note that there's a fairly major swear warning for this vid)

oh yeah and she just up and killed a guy once that happened too
View attachment 297705
You can still be "moe" in appearance despite being a little **** on the inside or despicable person, or serious character. It's quite common in Japanese media, especially nowadays as a subversion tactic ("oh did you expected this cute show to be harmless? TOO BAD GENOCIDE"). How many characters you can name that appeal to Japanese cuteness but are capable and scary combatants? Quite a few.

It isn't even a japanese-only thing, The Power Puff Girls for example are adorable, but everybody knows they are deadly as hell. Bubbles in particular is an example of this. Moe sometimes is just an aesthetic thing, doesn't mean they have to be inoffensive or can't get deadly, like that Pink Puffball who just killed another eldritch abomination on his way for lunch. Flandre's character design clearly evokes a cute appearance, but i am well aware she is a full-on psycho that should not be approached.

Laugh at me all you want, but despite Zun's artstyle being underdeveloped, it seems that is the style he is trying to go for. It's clear he's not going for a realistic style, or Gross style, or "cool" style like Shonen Heroes or Super Heroes (doesn't help he seemingly sucks at drawing males, though if your post is to be believed, he may not be able to draw females that well either)

It's even more clear in the fan works, where they put extra emphasis in making the characters more visually cute, i mean look at this fanwork for Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle:

Arstyles like these are the norm. Even those that have the characters in a more "realistic" style by making the characters taller to fit better with human anatomy, still try to make them cute, rather than plain.

Don't tell me "It's just a fangame and wasn't made by Zun, so this arstyle can't be used as an argument", as YOU clearly have stated that even if Zun has no involvement in most of these projects, he approves of them and encourages them, and play a huge part of Touhou's impact and Culture. A lot of people use these types of cute arstyles in Touhou projects, and exceptions are rare (like that one Touhou Casltevania fangame, which has an artystle that is meant to evoke Ayami Kojma's Gothic artwork, so there was a reason for the shift)

Do you really want to tell me Touhou's cuteness appeal, especially in the fanworks that help this franchise to prospoer, are NOT a factor of it's appeal, especially in a country where cute aesthetic rules over? If only by a little?

Also just because i don't like the arstyle doesn't it's bad, just that it appeals to different people, like how i know not everyone likes the Macho Designs of Simon and Bill Rizer, or the wacky artstyle of Ed Edd N Eddy, etc.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
You can still be "moe" in appearance despite being a little **** on the inside or despicable person, or serious character. It's quite common in Japanese media, especially nowadays as a subversion tactic ("oh did you expected this cute show to be harmless? TOO BAD GENOCIDE"). How many characters you can name that appeal to Japanese cuteness but are capable and scary combatants? Quite a few.

It isn't even a japanese-only thing, The Power Puff Girls for example are adorable, but everybody knows they are deadly as hell. Bubbles in particular is an example of this. Moe sometimes is just an aesthetic thing, doesn't mean they have to be inoffensive or can't get deadly, like that Pink Puffball who just killed another eldritch abomination on his way for lunch. Flandre's character design clearly evokes a cute appearance, but i am well aware she is a full-on psycho that should not be approached.

Laugh at me all you want, but despite Zun's artstyle being underdeveloped, it seems that is the style he is trying to go for. It's clear he's not going for a realistic style, or Gross style, or "cool" style like Shonen Heroes or Super Heroes (doesn't help he seemingly sucks at drawing males, though if your post is to be believed, he may not be able to draw females that well either)

It's even more clear in the fan works, where they put extra emphasis in making the characters more visually cute, i mean look at this fanwork for Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle:

Arstyles like these are the norm. Even those that have the characters in a more "realistic" style by making the characters taller to fit better with human anatomy, still try to make them cute, rather than plain.

Don't tell me "It's just a fangame and wasn't made by Zun, so this arstyle can't be used as an argument", as YOU clearly have stated that even if Zun has no involvement in most of these projects, he approves of them and encourages them, and play a huge part of Touhou's impact and Culture. A lot of people use these types of cute arstyles in Touhou projects, and exceptions are rare (like that one Touhou Casltevania fangame, which has an artystle that is meant to evoke Ayami Kojma's Gothic artwork, so there was a reason for the shift)

Do you really want to tell me Touhou's cuteness appeal, especially in the fanworks that help this franchise to prospoer, are NOT a factor of it's appeal, especially in a country where cute aesthetic rules over? If only by a little?

Also just because i don't like the arstyle doesn't it's bad, just that it appeals to different people, like how i know not everyone likes the Macho Designs of Simon and Bill Rizer, or the wacky artstyle of Ed Edd N Eddy, etc.
I feel like a big ky word in this is artstyle. If you look at, for example Hisoutensoku, a canon game, you see that the artstyle for the portrait is way more of a regular anime style than most of the time for the series, and way less cute/moe. And this is accentuated in the Touhou air fighters and most of the canon mangas.

And if you want to go with fangames to prove your point, then I answer your cute Kobuto V: burst battle with Touhouvania
Touhouvania.jpg

But in the end, artstyle is done to enance storytelling on top of apealing to nwcomers most of the time, so take that as you will.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I feel like a big ky word in this is artstyle. If you look at, for example Hisoutensoku, a canon game, you see that the artstyle for the portrait is way more of a regular anime style than most of the time for the series, and way less cute/moe. And this is accentuated in the Touhou air fighters and most of the canon mangas.

And if you want to go with fangames to prove your point, then I answer your cute Kobuto V: burst battle with Touhouvania
View attachment 297796

But in the end, artstyle is done to enance storytelling on top of apealing to nwcomers most of the time, so take that as you will.
Do did you read what i wrote?

Im not trying to be mean, i specifically mentioned THAT game, i just could not remember the name of it:

(like that one Touhou Casltevania fangame, which has an artystle that is meant to evoke Ayami Kojma's Gothic artwork, so there was a reason for the shift)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

View attachment 297796

I still can't get over the Touhouvania artstyle. It takes a special person to look at this...
1609370857934.png

And turn it into this:
1609370870728.png

Reimu Badguy Belmont, everyone

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Just for clarification, cute and moe are two different things, you can have one without the other. It's pretty clear ZUN designed the characters to be cute, and it's definitely part of the appeal, I think he even said it in an interview. But he definitely doesn't try to make them moe, moe is more about expression and behavior, even if ZUN art is underdeveloped, it's clear that he doesn't portray them as acting moe, with maybe a few exceptions with the more childish characters. As you said, he doesn't go for any of the more "manly styles", but characters do act manly all the time, and this pretty much as anti-moe as you can. Moe is a quite different appeal, the most clear example is idol stuff, which is most of the time 100% moe appeal. The other appeal that other "cute stuff" use, that is very present in things like Kancolle/Azurlane and in many animes, it's sex appeal, and Touhou doesn't have any sex appeal in canon works.

So even by japanese standard, Touhou is a hardly standard. Lots of fan works are more standard because that's what the doujin community is. ZUN approves most of it but that doesn't mean it fits his vision. Though he doesn't seem to mind much.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
5%

The biggest thing Quote has going for him is his legacy. The fact of the matter is Cave Story is one of those original iconic indie games. Nintendo made a big deal of pushing it back in the wii days when Cave Story was breaking through here in the west. While Cave Story might not be the first indie game, it is kind of the one that codified the indie scene. So, why am I not higher on Quote? Well, I am not that high on indies in general, so giving quote even 5% is a sign of some good faith. I just have a bit more confidence in a different indie character...

Abstain Want

Look, Cave Story is still on my backburner. I have the game, but as of now I have no interest in playing it. I know it is a good game. I love the artstyle. What I have heard of the soundtrack is really good. I just have no vested interest in playing through it yet. Maybe once I get around to it Quote will be higher. As of now though, I am just abstaining to avoid tilting the scores.

Reimu

20% Chance

I know for some people this might be on the high side, but I think Reimu has a decent case to be made. Let me start by saying I do believe if we end up getting an indie character at this point, Reimu has the best odds. I know some people in the thread are not nearly as high on this, but in terms of an indie rep, I think she makes a lot of sense.

Probably the biggest hurdle people are going to bring up is the fact that Touhou is still locked away a bit in Japan. Which is...technically true. Touhou at the very least in terms of the main games has made the jump overseas, with the 16th and 17th main games being on Steam. Combined with how Touhou spinoffs have gotten localized, it does not seem to be the same type of hurdle people are making it out to be. The franchise, while appealing mainly to Japanese fans, still is available worldwide, with plenty of spinoff games on the switch. While this criticism makes sense at first, once you dig a bit deeper it starts to weaken a bit. It also does not help that FP1 had three characters that could be said to appeal to certain regional markets much more than others. I know Hero, Banjo, and Terry all had global releases, but each of them clearly appealed to a different market than the others internationally. Overall, I think this criticism is weak.

Now in terms of negotiating with a third party, Reimu would be easy to get. I do not like to speak in hyperbole, but negotiating with Zun might be the easiest negotiations for a third party possible, if not among the easiest. ZUN supports so many Touhou fan games in the Doujin circle, I would struggel to see him being hard to work with in terms of Smash.

Touhou's positives have been sung so well by others in this thread, I will effectively do a tdlr. In Japan it is the og indie game that has had a huge cultural impact and has fan games, new games, and conventions to this day. Elsewhere, the influence of Touhou, while far from what it is in Japan, is clear. Touhou has a cult following and a strong place in internet culture.

My final tidbit on Reimu is that she would rep SHMUPS better than pretty much any other realizable rep. Shmups are a pretty big genre, and Reimu would help show them off. The idea of a shmups character in Smash is one that has plenty of potential to be very unique.

Overall, while far from the most likely character, one with a solid shot overall in my eyes.

100% Want
Touhou has an amazing soundtrack. Like, if we end up getting Reimu, I would expect Terry tier music with her. And Touhou has such an amazing soundtrack. While I am a little mad that no one in the Reimu thread never sent me a playlist of Touhou music to listen to >_>, I am happy that I was able to listen and discover tracks for myself. I also love shmups. While I have not played a Touhou game yet myself, I love plenty of other shmups like Radiant Silvergun, Ikaruga, and R Type Delta. I would love to have a shmup character in smash. The idea of having a lot of quick firepower while being so frail like in a shmup is something I would really like. For me, this is the closest I will get to an Ikaruga rep or another shmup rep, which I would love to see.

Neku x 10
Mike Haggar x 10

Today is a throwback to say the least, we got two old school characters. In one corner, we got Ryu Hayabusa, the protagonist of Ninja Gaiden. In the other, we got Adol Christin, the protagonist of Ys. Rate them in Chance and Want.

Tomorrow...we will be re rating KOS MOS from Xenosaga and Sakura Shunguji from Sakura Wars. Predict their scores.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Abstain. I've already talked about Adol before.

...Though I will say I've gotten into Ys after the first time we rated him, and now I want him in Smash (not as much as other characters, but still).

KOS-MOS: 20%
Sakura:
because SmashBoards hates obscure charcater suggestions 5%

Noms:
Crazy Dave x5

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
For Adol, barely anything's changed so I'm going to bring up my last rating of him while adding some extra notes
The virgin Link loser vs Chadol.

Chance: 20% A surprisingly high rating from me, but I truly see Adol as a darkhorse candidate who'll end up being a surprise. Falcom has been growing a lot in recent years with Ys especially growing due to fantastic word of mouth despite being from the 80's. For those who don't know, Falcom really hit it big back in the day with PC gaming, having gotten so much success that they formed bands to play songs from their games back then. While this doesn't apply to Ys specifically, Falcom invented action RPGs with Dragon Slayer in 1984. This was huge back in the day and ended up influencing countless titles, including Zelda. Sakurai sees Smash as a celebration of gaming as a whole and especially values third party characters that ended up changing the industry in some way, so Adol, being Falcom's mascot, would end up being the kind of character Sakurai would pick similar to the likes of Terry and Mega Man. Not the hardest hitters out there, but showed people what kind of new ideas one could bring to the table back in the day.

Want: 100% I've only played Chronicles and Oath of Felghana but holy ** Ys is so ***ing good. Adol may not be the most complex character in terms of moveset from what I've played but he's got a really fast and flashy swordstyle from the one game I played with an attack button and footage I saw of other games, which hey, Smash has already proven that a character like that can be fun to play and just mash buttons like mad. Most importantly? The music. Holy *, Ys' soundtracks are ridiculously good, my friends told me it was so good and when I first left Port Barbado and heard First Step Towards Wars, my jaw dropped. When I fought the first boss, I was absolutely floored when I heard the fantastic Holders of Power even if there's only 1 boss in the game that lets you hear the full track ingame. And there's no way to describe the feeling of determination when you're on the final stretch of Darm Tower and the song Tension starts up. And that's JUST the first game!
In terms of chances, not much has changed, however, next year is Falcom's 40th anniversary and while they've hyped up a new Trails game, they've also said that Kuro no Kiseki will use a new engine that Ys games will also use in the future, I believe they've also said that they're planning on expanding soon and while that can mean anything, who knows, maybe a certain redheaded hero appearing in a certain fighting game will give them a larger name which they'll especially want for this expansion to work out.

Only real differences in terms of personal bias is that I beat Oath in Felghana, a fantastic game that I highly recommend, especially with the sublime The Boy's Got Wings which made me feel like I could just run around forever and explore, Searing Struggle which felt perfect for heroically standing up after a near lethal fall and climbing back up to fight further and Sealed Time which had similar vibes to Tension as I kept getting closer and closer to the king who's to blame for all the tragedy in the game. I also got Ys 6, 7 and Origins for Christmas, meaning I own all the games outside of 8 and 9, though I have a preorder for the latter. Final difference would be that I've also been playing Trails in the Sky so I'd feel slightly bummed Estelle got shafted, but I prefer Ys to Trails so it's not too bad lmao.

BOKU NO NAMAE WA HAYABUSA-KUN

Chance: 10% Oh boy, perhaps the most speculated fighter outside of Crash. Let's get started on the negatives, strong Nintendo relationships have meant less and less over the past 5 years or so, meaning Ryu's not as special as people keep making him out to be, not to mention Warriors exists, which is a bigger IP for Koei so there's always the possibility it'd get prioritized.
Right, now the positives, Ninja Gaiden is a timeless classic, pretty much everyone who's even remotely aware of video game history would know this franchise well due to being a posterboy of difficult NES games and being one of, if not the first video game with cutscenes. The modern trilogy's also rather notworthy, being seen as up there with God of War and Devil May Cry when it comes to pushing the hack and slash genre back in the day, one issue people often cite is that Ninja Gaiden is currently dead, though a cameo in Nioh and the countless leaks for the Sigma Trilogy disprove that if you ask me.

Want: 70% I have absolutely zero experience with Ninja Gaiden nor do I have any with Dead or Alive, but I do respect the former's place in history, so I'd consider him ok at worst, though Hayabusa is a ninja, and I'm not sure you're aware of it, but ninjas are almost always what we in the business call 'the good ****'. While Ryu's mostly remembered for the classic NES trilogy, the gameplay I've seen of the modern trilogy looks like he'd make an excellent fighter with plenty of satisfying moves, especially with the most iconic move Hayabusa has, the Izuna Drop. Like, that's possibly the coolest **** I've seen in an action game, **** yeah I'd be down for that, another admittedly petty bonus to me is that Unbreakable Determination is guaranteed to be remixed, and one of the first results on youtube for the song is a fanmade Smash remix. I hate this video with a petty, burning passion as I know for a fact it's a repost of GaMetal's remix of the song but without the credit, I strongly dislike it when videos or songs from small creators get stolen and hopefully an actual Smash remix would knock that video down a few pegs.

Velvet Crowe x10
Zagreus x10

Sidenote, considering I wrote this up early, I wonder if Sari will use the songs I listed

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Gonna redo Ryu's post a bit because I passed on rating him last time and there's a little bit needed a buff up.

Ryu Hayabusa
Chance 45 - A logical pick that's had a lot of inflation due to fake/bad leaks at one point in time. Unlike some who have had that though, I can see why he'd get picked. Probably the biggest NES characters not selected for a role yet in Smash. Tecmo also has content in Smash but nothing playable. Could mean something but also might not at all as we keep finding out with Namco characters not named Pac Man. Overall I think he's a pretty safe choice, perfect middle of the pass character like Terry was this time should we get it.

Want 40 - Never played a game and no connection to the character. Seems like an inoffensive choice really. Leaning towards not wanting because I have more characters I want first and we do have a few ninjas already but there's likely something to set him apart. Gonna bump him up a little bit as Ive been more and more exposed to him but still leaning towards not wanting at the moment.

And since I abstained on Adol last time I'll rate him now

Adol
Chance 25 - I see some parallels with Terry here. While I wouldn't personally gamble on a ton of people in the west knowing a ton about him or Ys, his case more exists based on how Ys and Falcom are reguarded in the east. Falcom is one of the older developers in Japan, operating since the early 80s. Also much like King of Fighters, Ys is still an active series today. And it's not like Falcom is just dropping these games based on nostalgia on one console either and just making enough off them still produce(I'm not accusing Terry or KOF of this either btw). The most recent title is set to get a Switch and Windows release at some point in 2021 while already being on the PS4 for a few years, with the sales and reviews both being pretty solid. My point in bringing that up is that even though it hasn't really hit the heights of some games of the same genre, he certainly can't just be called a relic of the past. Also, much like Terry, the series has a long history with Nintendo. So yeah, while I don't expect it, it feels like there's a solid case here. The main deal knocking against him is that for RPG type characters in DLC so far we've gotten the likes of Joker, Cloud, Sephiroth, and Dragon Quest. That feels like enough to be considered a pattern of more well known characters are being selected from that genre, but it's far from set in stone. There's also the fact that companies close to Nintendo such as Level 5, Ubisoft, and Tecmo still have nobody playable even though they've had a number of chances that makes me feel Falcom could just join the club there too

Want 50 - Yeah, I wouldn't mind this. He's solidly in the I don't care section of want for me. After looking into him a little I'm solidly neutral. Never played Ys or heard of it until recently but after looking into things a little I don't think I'd mind. No connection to the character hurts him a bit as I'm starting to get a bit more biased towards characters I know or heard of a lot for the last couple of spots remaining. However, if I had to take someone well outside of my gaming bubble I'd be alright with Adol.

Predictions - ..... Oh boy this day is going to be something
Sakura - 19%
KOS MOS 12%

Noms
Bioshock Protag x10
Far Cry Rep x10

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Using the 1 hour rule to abstain from the indie characters.
Ryu prediction: 60%
Adol prediction: 15%
Noms: Senator Armstrong x10

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
The other Ryu

Chance: 20%. So far, he is still in the running for joining smash, and there has not been any discomformations yet. Besides that, there is also a possibility that he won’t get in the second fighter’s pass, but we could be right or wrong.

Want: 55%. He would be fun to play as, and I can see him face for against Sheik and Greninja in a free for all. Overall, Ryu Hayabusa could have some Pontiac o be a decent Smash Bros rep.

Adol

Chance: 10%. His series is popular in the East, which gives him a slight advantage. On the other hand, not much people are familiar with him in the west, but the same thing is once said for Fire Emblem, so you can’t quite rule much stuff out, unless your very sure.

Want: 50%. He would be fun to play as. But since I don’t know too much about Adol or his franchise (at least not recently), I’m on the fence.

Prediction: Sakura (10%) and KOS-MOS (15%)

Noms: 5 for Echo: Olimar and 5 for Giygas

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Unlimited continues means no game over!

Chance: 55%

Nothing much has changed for this guy so I will just go over the same points as usual for those noms. Ninja Gaiden is a classic series, one of the few remaining notable NES series not represented yet. Ninja Gaiden has gotten games over the years and while it hasn't gotten a new installment in a while, Ryu continues to appear in numerous Koei Tecmo games like Warriors Orochi and has been referenced in well known games like Nioh. While Dynasty Warriors gives him a run for his money in my opinion, Ryu remains Tecmo's frontrunner and you can argue he is their mascot in a way. Speaking of Tecmo, they just made Age of Calamity so they are certainly on Nintendo's radar and when it comes to brand new Japanese companies with no reps, I think they or Level 5 are next in line. I do get the skepticism that is forming around companies and characters that "just make sense" but that doesn't take away the merits that series like Ninja Gaiden have. With that said, I did drop his score down a bit from the usual 60% as I am feeling less confident in him due to there only being 3 more spots. But one thing for sure is that there is no stopping the unbreakable determination of this ninja.

Want: 75%

Like always this is where I gush about Ninja Gaiden. It's one of my favorite NES series. Ryu would be very cool and there is more than enough weapons and powerups to distinguish him from the other ninjas in the roster. I love Ninja Gaiden because for a NES game, it's very fluid and the gameplay is so addicting because you can get to that point where if you practice enough you can see when enemies are about to enter the screen and you can dispatch of them in a nanosecond without stopping. I would love to see how they incorporate that gameplay style into Smash. Oh yeah, and I need Unbreakable Determination in Smash.

Adol the Red

Chance: 30%

Nothing has changed since last time though the more I think about this the more confident I am. Putting aside leaks, Adol has enough credentials to make him a worthy addition to Smash. Falcom is one of the oldest companies in the industry and is responsible for making PC gaming a thing in Japan. They have worked with Nintendo a bit in the past to bring some of their PC games to the Famicom and nowadays they are supporting the Switch with putting a couple Ys games on the system. The series seems to be getting more attention here in the West with more localizations and Adol seems like the perfect Terry pick of this pass. It's far from the biggest series out there, but it certainly has it's fans and the fact that it created the action RPG genre is big, and it has been around for as long as many of the iconic RPG series like FF and Dragon Quest. While it's no guarantee, I really do think Adol has a good shot because of all his credentials and him being the de facto main character of his series. My only big concern is competition from Falcom's other series.

Want: 70%

Ys' credentials alone makes me appreciate it and I welcome it into Smash if it does happen. While I"ve only barely played Ys 8, I would be happy with Adol. His moveset from what I researched sounds fun. But the big reason why this score is so high is because of the music. Simply put, it's awesome. That's all.

Predictions:
Sakura - 18%
KOS-MOS - 14%

Noms:
Among Us character x10
Excitebiker x10

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Gonna abstain on Ryu Hayabusa. Despite everything that's happened in speculation his chances remain the same, so there's really nothing new for me to say in his regard. There's the factor of the slots slowly dwindling, and that fact that other "it just really makes sense" characters like a Level-5 rep never made it, and those are the only things that really hurt him. He's definitely a Sakurai pick but with Nintendo choosing the characters, they may see their relationship with Koei Tecmo already strong enough that they don't need to buttress it with a new character. It's really all up to Nintendo.

Adol

Chance: 10% -
Unlike a lot of similar, anime-esque, popularity is 99% in Japan franchises, this one has a unique advantage over its' peers. Falcom's franchises, while not showing up in Directs (as far as I can remember, feel free to correct me), appeared on the Switch's news page for awhile for new releases, along with his games actually being localized. So that shows that there is Nintendo interest in marketing the game along with a small Western presence! Alongside that, Adol's a historical pick for Japanese ARPGs, which definitely has Sakurai appeal. So if Nintendo decides to go for a Falcom character, he could very much push for Adol in the same way he pushed for Joker. Adol does have his disadvantages, though. First is his lack of any kind of real Western presence. His games are here, but typically don't get much attention, so Nintendo might not see him as profitable enough, even if it (he's not like Dragon Quest or Persona). Second is his major inter-company competition. The games in particular Nintendo chose to advertise are the newer ones, more specifically Trails of Cold Steel III, so characters like Estelle Bright may be a problem for him. And then people mention the Falcom leak, but I'm not putting any stock in a Smash character leak (given how tight lipped the last four characters were. If you still think characters are leaking months in advance in an era where Nintendo is making it more and more difficult for us to predict things - they catch on to a lot of the speculation scene's habits, then it's CacoMallow levels of delusional). So Adol's got the groundwork but still got some mountains to climb.

Want: 0% - Better than a new Fire Emblem rep, but I'm still going to have to pass. I just couldn't find anything I found interesting about the character. His design looks like a run-of-the-mill Fire Emblem character, there's really nothing too creative about it. His gameplay didn't really grab me, and I just think there are generally more interesting choices, along with a bunch of characters I prefer way more. Plus, if we're going to get an Action RPG rep, I'd much rather see one from the Western side of things, and if you look at my signature, you'll know exactly who that character is. The Western open and semi-open world models for RPGs click with me way more than Japanese-style ones like the aforementioned Ys or Xenoblade 2, I feel like it uses the formula to much more potential. So Adol is just not a character I'd be interested in seeing in any regard. Plus we already have lots of fast, flashy swordplay in Smash, how much does he really bring to the table?

Nominations:
4x Strategy Rep x5
Concept: Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's alt/echo x5

Predictions:
KOS-MOS - 25.93% - Her bandwagon mentality has died down heavily but her extremely vocal fans remain. Expecting a ton of overrates.
Sakura - 30.65% - That one poll SEGA held is gonna make for a LOT of overconfident fans, even if it means nothing for Smash chances.

God help us all...

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Yall sick of this character yet?
Chance: 20%
From being a NES classic to his parent company having good relations with Nintendo, Hayabusa is character that just makes sense although he is a bit overrated. If we're getting a new japanese third-party represented it will moest likely be Koei and Ryu is their frontrunner.

Want: 15%
I did beat the OG Ninja Gaiden... well I use beat kinda loosely since I did had to resort to using save states/rewind like many others did I assume. Not withstanding those frustrating moments it was a fine game. The 3d action games may be alot more interesting tho they're not yet on my radar. Regardless, they'd offer Hayabusa a pretty fun moveset. Still, there are third-party characters that peak my interest more.

Abstaining on Avdol since I don't know what a Falcom is

KOS-MOS: 11.53%
Sakura: 24.36%
Henry Stickmin x5

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Fixed schedule part 4: sword is unbreakabe

Ryu Hayabusa

Chances: 30%

So, what changed for our good friend mister ninja guy since last time? Well, Steve and Sephiroth both got inthe game, and nothing else really, I more or less lwoered his rating since last time because there's less possible characters and I really don't want to give high chance ratings since there's just so many options with very reasonable chances to get in. But otherwise? Koei Tecmo has a very good relationship with Nintendo, so good that they helped for 3 Houses and worked on a Zelda spin-of twice, but they still have no character in Smash and who better to be their first character in Smash than Ryu Hayabusa, the protagonist of the ninja gaiden series that pretty much is why they became as big as they are now, Hayabusa holds a lot of video game history in his series and is extremly important as he's from the first video game with cutscenes allowing for the storytelling in gaming to advance drasticaly as a result even if jrpg already were story heavy, their heavy storytelling became far more bearable thanks to the rise of cutscenes, and you can thank Ninja Gaiden for that. The series has a lot of Nintendo legacy with the original triloogy being one of the most known games on the NES, it's up there for sure, even if the reboot trilogy isn't on a Nintendo system, or at least not yet since there are leaks/rumors about it going around. And all of this were things that you already know about, because Ryu Hayabusa has been a frontrunner for a long time, and while I gave him the most of what I would give a character in term of chances right now (this may seem low but there's only 3 characters I would give a 30% chances rating to right now), and while some are understably tired of hearing his name over and ove, there's reasons as to why his name is thrown around so much, and they're good reasons for the mot part too.

Want: 60%

He's alright. Iconic, can bring great music to the table, and he also has an incredible moveset potential thanks to not only the Nes Ninjja Gaiden games, but also from the 3d Ninja Gaiden games where he use many weapons and has many moves, and also a lot to be pulled from his apearances in Dead or Alive, where he has I think the biggest moveset of any character in the game. The ratnig is not that high because I did not play Ninja Gaiden, but still he would be a perfectly fine, understandable, and deserving character to be added into Smash.

"Now, Adol the red! Prepare to witness a power greater than even the gods themselves!"

Chances: 30%

Yes, Adol Christin is a character who's likeliness I put on the same level as Ryu Hayabusa (and one other character at the moment). Why? Well, let's look at it. First of all, Adol is the protagonist of the Ys series, as series that has been going on for a very long time, ever since 1987, it's the fourth oldest jrpg series that is still on going behind only Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and Megami Tensei, and well, all of those 3 got a rep in the dlc for Ultimate, with those reps being Joker, Hero, and Sephiroth. Now, Adol isn't on the level of any of those 3, and Ys isn't on the level of any of the 3 above either, but it's still extremly important for video game history and also extremly influencial, it's basicaly the arpg that allowed for the genre to get to the state it currently is in today, and this can also extand to action-character games as a whole, including but not limited to Devil May Cry, Bayonneta, God of War, Metal Gear Rising, and many, many more. So yeah, Ys and by extention Adol are extremly important to the video game industry. But of course this is not enough, so what does Adol has going for him beyond that? Well, first of all, Falcom has a good relationship with Nintendo, with many Ys and Trails games being currently on Switch, even if some of them are region locked. Talking about region, Falcom are a popular company in Japan, and they are also extremly popular in China and Korea. And now, for a more unconventional arguments: while Adol is not that know outside of Asia despite his importance, I do not think that it even comes close to a death sentece for being dlc in Ultimate as some would think, not only because we already got characters who were more popular in a specific region rather than in the entire world, but also because we already have 2 very good characters with worldwide popularity in this fighter pass, Steve and Sephiroth, the player character of the most popular game on the planet and the definitive Sony vilain, I do not think that Nintendo needs another big character in the pass, and while one could still very well happen, with how big Steve and Sephiroth are, it's not really needed at all, which means that Adol could very well get in like Terry got in in fighter pass 1.

I like swordsman in Smash, and I'm not ashamed to admit it at all.I don't care that a character would be a generic anime swordman, if they're cool, thn they're still cool, and Adol is indeed very cool, or rather, he is the chad. While I'm not too into Ys, I did play a bit of it, and so I can say that Adol would have a really cool moveset, he even has a lot of movset potential considering how much stuff he had and got over the years. And also, Ys has an amazing soundtrack. While I don't think it's on the level of Touhou or Kingdom Hearts, it's still up there. So yeah, Adol would be extremly cool to have, despite how many "generic anime swordman" complains he would get.

Predictions

Sakura Shinguji: 15.6%

KOS-MOS: 17.4%

The next day will be fun for sure.

Nominations

Madeline mii x20

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Gonna have to abstain on Hayabusa mostly due to lack of familiarity. I really should get to that sometime. I recognize he's got a good shot though of course, and while sure, it has felt that way forever, sometimes priorities just don't cut it.

Adol
Chance: 25%
His chances are largely the same, I forget exactly how much I rated him last time but I'm only changing it a little due to the less spots. Falcom while remaining a relatively niche developer for some time has remained strong, and has pretty good popularity in Asia in general (not just Japan) due to being mainly a PC developer for most of its time. Recently that has also been spreaded elsewhere with its games being localized more and more, ported to more consoles, including even Nintendo, and very new releases at that. Ys itself is one of the oldest "action RPG" games to remain getting new ones to this day, so it does have a pretty good pedigree. It's really a matter of whether or not Nintendo goes for it. Adding to that is that there's a little in-company competition with the Trails series that's also fairly popular, and lately has been eclipsing Ys in certain places. This series has also been making its way into Nintendo, so it could very well happen too. Again, it's really just up to Nintendo. But I think both of those have a good shot as it is.

Want: 100%
Still would like this dude a lot. We could get a really fun fighter in our hands if they decide to incorporate mechanics from the games much like Hero did, who for all intents and purposes could've been really "generic", but actually ended up being really fun. In my opinion at least; even now I use Hero a lot. I could see something similar happening with Adol. Of course the content that'd come with him goes without saying, it'd be great to have any Falcom music in the game.

Nominations:
Worms x15

Predictions:
KOS-MOS: 7%
Sakura: 20%

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Ryu Hayabusa

Chance: 50%
Koei-Tecmo and Nintendo have a long history and have been really close to reach other lately. Whether it be Metroid in Dead or Alive or Hyrule/Fire Emblem Warriors, the two companies have been going together extremely well. Hayabusa is from one of the most acclaimed NES games not yet in Smash. Based on both Ninja Gaiden's history and the relation Koei-Tecmo has with Nintendo, I think Hayabusa has a pretty good shot. His only internal competition is with Kasumi and a Dynasty Warriors character, both of which I think Hayabusa would have priority over. Honestly it's hard to think of any truly bad things Hayabusa has going against him. Right now he's one of the characters I'm most expecting.

I've played a decent amount of the first Ninja Gaiden thanks to NSO. While I have yet to beat it (due to both its difficulty and having other games in my backlog), this is a character that I'd be down for happening. His game is a true classic and with how strong of a history Tecmo has with hits like Ninja Gaiden, DoA, and Tecmo Bowl, I think they more than deserve a rep at this point. Plus I've been interested in the idea of trying out a ninja fighter as Sheik and Greninja aren't my thing. A ninja fighter with a sword would be just up my alley.

-----

Adol

Not much has changed since we rated him in November so I'll just quote my rating from then:

Adol

Chance: 30%
Here's a really cool and big post that shows how long the history of Falcom goes.

Falcom is a company with a long history in the ARPG genre and PC games as a whole. They had some big hits in the 80's/90's and even now are still doing good as a company. While their history with Nintendo isn't the greatest (one or two Famicom/Super Famicom games amidst their large PC/Playstation library), the connection is at least present and has been growing with each year thanks to increasing Switch ports. With Ys and the Trails series being super popular in Japan, I think Falcom is definitely on Nintendo's radar. Others have already mentioned this but I'm getting SNK/Terry vibes in regards to Falcom/Adol. Granted we could just get a Mii Costume or spirit event but a character like Adol is also possible. Only downside to Adol is that while he is probably the most likely Falcom character, there is a chance he'd have to compete with Estelle Bright or Rean Schwarzer.

Want: 80%
I played a bit of the first Ys game but haven't really gotten into it yet. Although my experience with the series isn't too big, I'd be fine with Adol getting in. His games do look fun once you get into them. And there's also the fact that they'd be representing Falcom as a whole who has made a ton of great games aside from Ys. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is another fun Falcom game I've played a bit of, while Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure is one of the most underrated games out there that everyone should play (if it were up to personal preference then Parin would be my Falcom choice). A character representing a long running company while possibly also bringing in content from other Falcom games? Sign me up.

-----

KOS-MOS chance prediction: 21.00% (her hype has mostly died down but I'm still expecting overrates)
Sakura chance prediction: 25.00% (score will probably be lower than last time because of Eggman's recent talks but again I'm still expecting overrates)

-----

Nominations:
Curly as Quote's alt/echo x10
Trevor Philips x10

Sidenote, considering I wrote this up early, I wonder if Sari will use the songs I listed
Sooooo confession time: usually when we rerate characters, I'll just copy the music posts from the last rating and post them here. I was in a rush so that's exactly what I did today.

With that said... I think I'll post Holders of Powers here because holy crap this song is crazy.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I just realized yesterday was Wednesday and I didn't do calcs. Sorry about that! You kinda lose track of what day it is when they're all the same. I'll try to get them done tomorrow or Saturday at the latest.

[Rerate] Monokuma x265
Qbby x255
Concept: Characters that don't have games on Nintendo platforms x240
Beat (Jet Set Radio) x215
[Rerate] Neku x209
Worms x200
Crazy Dave x195
Concept: Among Us character x195

200 - 151

[Rerate] Concept: League of Legends rep x187
Marina Liteyears x175
Concept: A 4X strategy rep x165
[Rerate] Velvet Crowe x165

150 - 101

John Marston x150
Mii Costume: Monika x135
Henry Stickmin x135
Peppino (Pizza Tower) x122
Boss: Ender Dragon x118
D.Va x115
Mii Costume: 2B x110
Mii Costume: Madeline x110
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x108
Concept: Far Cry rep x107
Stage: Bowser's Castle x106

100 - 51

Riptor x95
Boss: Rayquaza x95
Tetra x95

Concept: A 3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass x85
Fulgore x84
Giygas x81
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75
Concept: Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's Alt/Echo x75
Echo (Bowser) x70
Concept: Curly as Quote's alt/Echo x70
Concept: A Challenger Pack with 2 Fighters x65
Zagreus x65
Mike Haggar x65
Junpei (Zero Escape) x63
Echo (Olimar) x56
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Magolor x55
Jin Sakai x55
Ghirahim x55

50 - 25

Excitebiker x50
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x40
Estelle Bright x40
Agent 47 x40
Concept: A BioShock protagonist x38

Senator Armstrong x35
Concept: Team Fortress 2 rep x30
Ryza (Atelier) x25
Mii Costume: Zagreus x25
Concept: Large and Normal Final Destination made into separate stages x25
[Rerate] Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x25
Kaede Akamatsu x25

Under 25

Regigigas x20
Stage: Tetris x20
[Rerate] Metal Sonic x20
Billy & Jimmy Lee x20
Filia (Skullgirls) x19
Yarn Yoshi x15
[Rerate] Shovel Knight x15
[Rerate] Agumon x15
Tetris x10
Slash Kamei (Snowboard Kids) x10
[Rerate] Yuri Lowell x10
Jesse (Control) x10
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5
Donbe and Hikari x5
Soma Cruz x5
Concept: KOS-MOS with T-elos alt x5
[Rerate] Master Hand x5
[Rerate] Arthur x5
Rallen (Spectrobes) x5
Infernape x5
Firebrand x1

Worms blast League of Legends rep away and jetpack past Crazy Dave, conquering sixth place. Among Us character sneaks into the top seven, tied with Crazy Dave for last place.

Mii Costume: Madeline and Far Cry rep climb past 100 noms.

Any new Xenoblade character, Kaede Akamatsu, and Team Fortress 2 rep reach 25 noms.

Jomosensual Jomosensual You gave Far Cry rep 13 noms and Bioshock rep 12 noms. But you had a total of 15. So, how would you like to allocate them?

(Did we do that one? I nominated it a while ago but I sat out of RTC for a good while too
No, we never rated the Lees unfortunately. They've been sitting in the same place since you last nominated them.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Ryu Hayabusa

95% Chance

Don't think anything has changed, so he still has a high chance of making it in. Plus, the recent leak about the reboot trilogy being re-released might help his chances but I'd rather wait and see first.

100% Want

He's still my most wanted character for Smash right now.

No, we never rated the Lees unfortunately. They've been sitting in the same place since you last nominated them.
Hmm...I'm surprised about that.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
RYU HAYABUSA

Chance - 70%

This is probably the highest rating I'm willing to give any character right now. As DLC closes in, things get a lot more uncertain for a lot of different characters. Despite this, Hayabusa remains someone who I am firmly confident in for reasons that go well beyond the various rumors that have kept him relevant in the community. I'll just say it outright, and it's not exactly a hot take or anything, but Hayabusa is the only character who I would genuinely be shocked not to see in the game.

FP1 saw us represent two new third party companies - Microsoft and SNK. Unless you count stuff like Atlus and Mojang as new companies, FP2 is currently at a grand total of zero... which is kinda weird right? I can't imagine that Nintendo wouldn't want to take the opportunity to collaborate with at least one new company and make Ultimate an even bigger crossover. No company is currently closer to Nintendo or more involved in Nintendo's own major IPs - and is also totally absent from the roster - than Koei Tecmo at the moment. They helped develop Fire Emblem Three Houses which was a major success, and have been trusted with Nintendo's characters on several occasions (Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors, even the Metroid stage in Dead or Alive on 3DS). They're also not exactly a huge company, so collaborating with them would be cheap and given how they're currently in bed with Nintendo I'm sure any Smash related talks would go quite smoothly.

Which makes it all the weirder that Koei Tecmo is almost entirely absent from Ultimate altogether. The only content they have is a Fatal Frame AT and an additional spirit - a series which is co-owned by Nintendo, so it's kind of a unique situation. Beyond this, despite KT's frequent collaborations with Nintendo and omnipresence as of late, we haven't gotten a single costume or spirit event in reference to them. Meanwhile, even the likes of Ubisoft and Bethesda have gotten fancy new Mii Costumes. Of course this doesn't mean it HAS to happen. It'd just be f**king weird if we didn't get ANYTHING else from them.

When digging into Koei Tecmo's character potential, there's honestly no other choice than Hayabusa. You could maybe argue for Lu Bu, but Hayabusa is effectively KT's Terry Bogard. He has his own deeply respected series in Ninja Gaiden, he's appeared in Dead or Alive consistently over the years and has made various cameos in games like Samurai Warriors as well. It certainly helps that Ninja Gaiden is a game that has always been synonymous with Nintendo itself, appearing on Virtual Console, NSO and the NES Classic and sporting a retro legacy not unlike Mega Man or Castlevania. He's a character who just continues to make sense. And we've yet to have a real 'retro' appeal character this pass either - which is arbitrary and doesn't exactly boost Hayabusa on its own, but playing into that classic NES demographic is something Nintendo and Sakurai like to do quite a bit.

I think people get hung up sometimes on this idea that yeah, we're thrown for a loop a lot of the time. But there are other times when we're not. During FP1 speculation there seemed to be this unspoken acceptance that we were totally going to get a Microsoft character. Granted we didn't know which one it would be - but in the end both of the most popular suggestions ended up playable. Koei Tecmo is just another no brainer, and Hayabusa doesn't really have any of that direct competition. I love surprises as much as the next guy, I think we're going to get at least a couple more, but there's still such thing as safe picks. Hayabusa is still that, nothing has changed.

But yes, there's always a chance it doesn't happen and there are no locks. There's also a real possibility that KT costumes could just drop sporadically with a random character like Ubisoft's batch, rendering that point completely void. And Hayabusa has been a popular suggestion since the very beginning of DLC, so having missed FP1 he could very well miss FP2 as well. But... I just think it's a matter of time. My confidence hasn't really waned very much aside from acknowledging that nothing is totally guaranteed and wilder things have happened.

Want - 80%
I think Hayabusa just works. Ideally he'd take a lot from his NES appearances, since I love the moveset design of Mega Man and the Belmonts in Smash and I feel Ninja Gaiden would lend itself very well to something similar. Beyond that though he's got loads of really neat attacks from the reboot series and DOA - he's a character with loads of potential and his inclusion would be satisfying and warranted.

ADOL CHRISTIN

Chance - 10%

As a disclaimer I don't know all that much about Ys or Adol, so I'll keep it short based on what I do... which I do feel is enough to give a proper rating but just not enough to pretend like I'm an expert lmao. We'll start with the positives - Ys is a pretty significant series that has been around for over 30 years and more or less defined the Action RPG as we know it. It's from another company without any representation in Smash and Ys has a presence on Switch.

To put it bluntly though, I think Adol solely rides heavy on Terry's coattails. This is a weird comparison at face value but hear me out. Major conversation about Adol began after SNK got representation, and people were considering what other commonly overlooked, smaller Japanese companies could see representation in Smash. Falcom came to mind and Adol was suitably relevant and significant to his genre in a comparable way to Terry and fighting games. I'm all for deeper cuts and people talking about new characters and expanding the "Smash bubble" as I often call it. I commend people for thinking outside of the box.

But I don't think Adol is likely just because we have another somewhat obscure, historical genre-defining character - there's a precedent for it, but it's not a pattern or a trend. I believe Adol is even a good deal more obscure than Terry, and also has to compete with various other solid competition within the JRPG genre (which I doubt we'll see take up all of the final slots, at least). Falcom doesn't really have the equivalent of SNK's extensive catalog of classic games on the eshop for Sakurai to point to either - but Ys does have a presence on Switch, so that isn't a death sentence either. I dunno, I think the possibility is there but I don't think it's a huge one.

Want - ABSTAIN
I don't really want Adol, but I'm not just gonna rate him low because I'm not familiar with his abilities or personality. I'm sure he's got cool stuff going on and I know Ys has some pretty great music at least. So if it did happen I'm certain that I'd come around to him fairly quickly.

----
PREDICTIONS:
KOS-MOS - 16.4%
Sakura - 12.7%

NOMINATIONS: BILLY AND JIMMY LEE x5

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not much has changed since we last rated Adol, so I'm just gonna quote my extremely large post from then
I LIVE AGAIN

Goodness, Adol's been booking it up here. Coincidentally, I'm just wrapping up Ys VIII, my first experience with the Ys series. 50+ hours, done all the sidequests, maxed out everyone's approval, 100% everything...

Yeah, it's pretty good.

"adol christin might be the strongest contender for 'most chadlike protagonist in jrpgs'"
-A helpful Steam reviewer

Thank you, helpful Steam person. Now to business.

First off, a brief explanation on the early years of Falcom.
Falcom is an old Japanese company, small but influential. Beginning in 1981, they started by selling hardware and software for the Apple II computer, before shifting gears to the PC-88 and PC-98 when they started making games. They truly broke out with the release of Dragon Slayer in 1984. While very primitive by our standards, Dragon Slayer was one of the very first Action RPGs. The following year, they released Dragon Slayer II: Xanadu, which codified the ARPG genre and was the first metroidvania game (Though it didn't quite solidify until Metroid released the following year).

Adol's series, Ys, started in 1987, with the release of Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished - Omen. The series follows the chronicles of Adol, a self-proclaimed "adventurer." Technically, that's not an actual occupation, and he's closer to a traveler or a cartographer. That being said, those terms are underselling his skills a little. The plot of Ys is pretty easy to understand, and generally follows something along the lines of this:
ADVENTURE! -> Demon/evil god suddenly appears -> Get the magic final god sword -> As per JRPG tradition, kill the god -> Board boat to go to another continent to explore -> Crash the beat and lose all your gear -> Rinse and repeat.

Ys, like most long-running series, has changed up it's gameplay quite a bit. Originally, it used an overhead perspective with a "Bump system," where Adol dealt damage by walking into any side of the enemy that wasn't the front. This was made with accessibility in mind, as PC RPGs were becoming more complex and difficult at the time. This gameplay style was retained for Ys II and both versions of Ys IV, while also implementing magical spells as well. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys, on the other hand, changed to a side-scrolling action game a la Zelda II. It was meant to be a spinoff, but was changed at the last second, hence the sudden shift in gameplay.

Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand marked a shift in gameplay, reimplementing the attack button from Ys III, as well as buttons for a jump and a guard. It was also deemed so easy that Falcom had to release a harder Ys V Expert only a couple months later. After that, Falcom suffered a major brain drain, leaving them stuck churning out countless remakes of Ys I & II, packaged together. This rut finally ended with Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim, which improved upon the formula of Ys V, refining the controls and introducing a "three weapons" system, allowing Adol to swap between three different magical swords. This new style was perfected by Ys: The Oath in Felghana, a remake of Ys III, followed by a prequel in the form of Ys Origin.

A third style of Ys began with Ys SEVEN, where Adol fights with an active party of allies, various skills from a skill gauge, three different types of damage in slashing, striking, and piercing, a powerful EXTRA Skill with a gauge that fills up over time, and a Flash Gard system, where blocking at the right time gives you a boost in power. Ys IV was remade in this style as Ys: Memories of Celceta, adding a Flash Move system that slows down time after a correctly-times dodge. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana changed to a behind-the-back gameplay style instead, as well as adding a Break status; When enemies are hit with an attack they are weak to, they become weak to all attacks. The most recent installment, Ys IX: Monstrum Nox, uses this gameplay style, while also introducing Monstrum powers for use in combat and exploration.

good golly I did not expect that part to take so long. I suppose this is what happens when you write about a 30-plus-year-old series. Anyways, onto Adol himself.

Born in a nameless mountain village in Garman (Re: Ys-verse Germany), Adol had surprisingly humble beginnings. He was born into a peasant family, but still lived a normal daily life. He was taught how to use a sword by his father, a skill he had a gift for and later honed on his own. His desire for adventure was sparked by the tales of an elderly travelling merchant, and he set off on his own at age 16. It should be noted that he began the cycle of adventure, god-slaying, and ship-wrecking in Ys I, where he was only 17.

At some point in his fifties, Adol returned to his village and wrote chronicles of his adventures, which is how the events of the game are told. Canonically, there are 100 travelogues, and we've only experienced eight so far (Counting Ys I & II together). Adol's last known adventure was at the North Pole at age 63, which he never returned from. It's believed he finally met his end there. Adol's adventures are so legendary that the chronology of the Ys timeline is marked as Before Christin and After Christin. Some wonder if such a man even existed, what with all the god-slaying. Nevertheless, Adol's adventures went on to inspire the travels of many other individuals, giving rise to an Age of Discovery.

Due to his travels, the cast and location of each Ys game is different. The only regularly recurring companion is Dogi, a giant but kindly man who travels alongside Adol. Originally, he was just a guy who busted Adol out of prison, but the fact that he busted through a wall to do so left quite a lasting impression, and now he's Adol's closest friend. Bearing the moniker The Wallcrusher, if Dogi appears in a game, chances are a wall's gonna be broken. His crowning moment was in Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys, where he crushes no less than six walls, some of which already have an unlocked door.

Besides that, Adol has amassed a large amount of love interests over his travels, to the point that the wiki has a list. However, Adol's one true love is adventure, and he always ends up leaving them to go on another quest. The only one Adol has explicitly returned the favor for is Feena, who's actually a goddess and had to ascend to heaven. Kinda out of his league there...

Of course, you simply can't bring up Falcom without mentioning the music. Due to the more powerful hardware of the PC-88 and PC-98, Falcom could manage more direct music than the bleeps and bloops of the NES, and by god, did they deliver. Falcom is one of the first companies to have a dedicated sound team, named Falcom Sound Team jdk (Or just JDK for short). They even have a separate group to play these songs live, JDK Band. Ys is also known for having way more rock songs than you'd expect from a fantasy RPG. They don't just break out the guitars for the boss themes, everything uses the guitars.

The usual three songs posted for RTC aren't doing it justice, so here's a list. A very long list. I can't pick just a couple, so instead I did 16.

Enjoy.

Something to note is that Ys used to have some issues with localization, but not anymore. With the help of XSEED, and now NIS America, Falcom's works are translated and released abroad. Ys VIII and Ys Origin are both on the Switch already, with YS IX being planned for a port next summer. If that's not enough for you, every Ys game is on Steam besides Ys V, which is one of the weaker entries anyways.

I'm gonna have to mention the Falcom leak, aren't I? Yeah, probably should.
Basically, there was a leak back in June that called for various Falcom ports and a Falcom character in Smash. Ys IX, Cold Steel 3 and 4, and recently Trails to Zero and Trails to Azure have been confirmed, so even if the leak's fake, they managed to get a fair bit right. I'm not usually one to bank on leaks and rumors, but it's still something worth noting.

And now, a brief rundown on what Adol could bring. There's a lot to pull from, what with how long the series has been going, so I'll just list off a few recurring elements.

• Bump System - The gameplay style used in the early games, also given a callback with an item in Ys VIII. Adol could deal damage via dashing, though I think it would work best in an important Spirit like Dogi gave you Impact Run.
  • Attack Momentum - Adol's attacks have generally pushed him forward somewhat. While not exactly a gimmick, Adol's normals could have him moving forward at the same time, allowing him to close the gap better.
  • Three Weapons - In the Ark-styled games, Adol could change between three different weapons, something that would evolve into the three damage type system in the party games. The weapons vary between games; Basing them off of Ys VI, which uses them most prominently, there's the single-edged wind sword Livart, the double-edged fire sword Brilliante, and the thrusting thunder sword Ericcil. In Smash, Adol could use these as a stance system, or just use them for specific attacks like Byleth.
  • Flash Guard and Flash Move - As mentioned above, the party games give you a boost in damage or slow time by guarding or didging at the right moment, respectively. This could be implemented as passive abilities in Adol's moveset, though the timing might be a bit precise for such a fast-paced game.
  • Fireball - A recurring spell from the earlier games, when Adol has access to magical weaponry. Would probably act like a weaker version of Hero's neutral special, with the tradeoff of being faster to charge and not needing any MP.
  • Spinning slash-type skill - A recurring attack, both as a wind-based spell in the Ark-styled games and as a skill in the party games. It has a bunch of different names that could be used; Maelstrom, Tornado Slash, Aerial Spin, etc.
  • Rising Slash - A recurring skill from the party games, it takes the form of an upwards slash, sometimes propelling Adol into the air. Could work with any upwards attack.
  • Running Slash/Sonic Slide - Another recurring skill from the part games, it's pretty self-expandatory. The amount of momentum Adol gets seems to vary between games, so it could work as a dash attack or side tilt
  • Rapid thrusting-type move - Yet another recurring skill, with various different names. Works as a flurry attack.
  • Sword beam-type skill - Also a recurring skill, has gone through a lot of different names (Scud Sword, Sonic Wave, Arc Shot). Faster than Cloud's Sword Beam, but smaller. Works as a neutral special or side special.
All in all, I give Adol a 45% chance. He's definitely a Terry-type situation; Not as well-known as some of his contemporaries. but incredibly influential. Not only that, but his company is smaller and has the potential to give an expansive tracklist from across their entire catalogue of works, not just Ys. He's got some serious darkhorse cred under his belt.

It should be noted, however, that Adol has some competition from the Trails series, most notably Estelle. I don't know too much to go in-depth on this topic, but Trails is a very popular and profitable work by Falcom's standards, and shouldn't be underestimated. It's hard to tell which of them has a better shot; I'm tempted to give Adol a little extra, but that might be bias speaking, because I'm giving him a full 100% want. The gameplay is a blast, I can't help but love his character of being a mostly average guy who wrecks divine beings on a regular basis anyways, and the music. The guitars. The music was the first thing I truly learned about Falcom-Specifically, the Ys III version of The Strongest Foe, via SmashBoards, and I was hooked after that.

Funny story, I've actually got a game idea going that I've been adding to for a while, and it's uncannily similar to Ys VIII. Behind the back action RPG with a lock-on, a dodge, a parry, access to skills by holding a shoulder button and pressing the face buttons, and an emphasis on exploration. There's definitely a lot of differences so it's not a 1:1 comparison, but I had been building on this since the summer of last year and had never heard about Ys until that point.

The similarities were just so close, and I ended up getting Ys VIII less than a week afterwards. Usually I spend a while contemplating getting a game or just offhandedly mention it in a wishlist and end up getting it as a gift. Best snap decision I've ever made.

And that concludes my longest SmashBoards post up to now. Thank you for reading.
In case it's too much to root through, 45% chance, 100% want. Too many roadblocks for him to be obvious, but still enough for me to be optimistic. He's still the most chadlike JRPG hero, the gameplay is still fast-paced action, and the soundtrack still rocks. That being said, there's still a couple Falcom-related things that have happened, so let's list them off:
  • Kuro No Kiseki has been announced for 2021, platforms TBA. This is the start of the second half of Trails, so it's a major event for the series. At the same time, this means Rean is no longer the most recent protagonist. Either way, it could push a Trails rep further in priority, though that's just speculation.
  • Kondo has stated that 2021, being the 40th anniversary of the company, is to be a turning point for the company.
    1609453450224.png
They intend to expand next year, and a Falcom rep in Smash would help bolster that growth. Again, just speculation, but it's still something to think about.

Abstain on Hayabusa.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
abstain, while i can believe ryu could get into smash i dont know enough to do a proper rating and i still have no idea what ys is. nom qbby x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
abstain, while i can believe ryu could get into smash i dont know enough to do a proper rating and i still have no idea what ys is. nom qbby x5
Since you apparently do not know enough about most of the characters in this thread, despite support threads being bumped, here are some helpful resources.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sooooo confession time: usually when we rerate characters, I'll just copy the music posts from the last rating and post them here. I was in a rush so that's exactly what I did today.

With that said... I think I'll post Holders of Powers here because holy crap this song is crazy.

Tut tut, not posting the superior versions known as Chronicles and the PCE versions.

For real though I cannot stress how good Ys' OST is, the entire franchise is currently on sale for Steam and so far I've only played good ****, though Ys 2 is a guide game. Worth spending a little on

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Since you apparently do not know enough about most of the characters in this thread, despite support threads being bumped, here are some helpful resources.

is it me or did you take that a little personally?

View attachment 297878
This is all you need to know
that does say a lot

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Once again, im compelled to just repost what i have stated before:
Chance: 60%

This is it!, The Third Party character that i see as THE most likely choice. Why? Many reasons.

One, Sakurai has made a big fuss of wanting to expand Smash's horizons. Because of this, it's no surprsie to me that during the course of the series, many Third Party companies have allowed their most popular and iconic and versatile characters in Smash. We have almost all the major japanese third party companies here. Capcom, Konami, Sega, SNK and Namco. The only other one i can name of the top of my head is Tecmo Koei, and while they have an Assist Trophy in Smash, i wouldn't be surprised if they wanted a bigger slice of tht Smash pie. Why Ryu out of all characters? Ninja Gaiden isn't the best selling Tecmo series (DOA and DW sell better) but neither was Mega Man for Capcom. Ryu isn't just Ninja Gaiden's main character, he is Mr. Tecmo, in the same way Terry is Mr. SNK.

-Ninja Gaiden is a long franchise with spawns way back from the 80's as an Arcade beat em up game, an era Sakurai is undobdebtly fond of. It made its way into the NES as a trilogy and is Tecmo's most well known work for the System, not to mention one of the most memorable games on the library next to Castlevania, Mega Man, Punch Out and so on. As shown above, it was even mentioned in the Wizard, a movie that's just a walking advertisement for Mario 3 in America, so it's clear that in the large gameshpere of old school games, Ryu and Ninja Gaiden are Extremely fondly remembered among gamers. The series also made appereances in almost any old school system like The Game Gear, the Amstrad, the Super Nintendo, the ZX Spectrum, Game Boy, PC Engine, etc. It wasn't just a NES Trilogy, it was one of the most memorable franchises to come from the Third Generation.

-You may think the appeal of this franchise would only apply to Nintendo boomers who laugh at game journalists who can't even pass a tutorial, but you're wrong on that. After taking a hiatus on the Fifth Generation of Systems, it came back with a vengance on the Sixth with the Ninja Gaiden Reboot. A full on hack and slash series featuring multiple weaponry for your character. It was released on the Xbox and later went on to appear on systems like the PS3 and Vita, and not to mention it became a trilogy once again showing up in the Xbox 360 and even the Wii U. It also had a spin-off in the Nintendo DS. This franchise also appeals to the non-Nintendo hardcore gamers of the 6th and 7th generations, which are becoming all the more nostalgic of these games as time passes.

Lastly, He is a recurring fighter in the Dead or Alive series. He isn't just a cameo for show, no. He's actually one of the most prominent characters in the franchise and the ONE male character that isn't overshadowed by the large female cast when it comes to beign recognizable to outsiders of the franchise (outside of maybe Hayate and Zack). He was the main narrative character in DOA2 beign the winner of the second tournament and the one who defeats the big bad of the game, Tengu. He even appears in the Koei Tecmo's Warrior games, albeit in Unplayable form in Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce and Warriors Orochi 3. He would however get his playable chance in Warriors All Stars.

So basically, not only his franchise is one of the most prominent old school series of the third and sixth generation, not only is he agruably the most prollific and iconic and popular "Video Game Ninja" in its purest form, but he's also made appereances in the other 2 of Tecmo Koei's most recognizable franchises outside of Ninja Gaiden.

He overlaps with certain types of characters that we have seen in Smash before, but he doesn't feel like a rehash since he caters to both types. An old school third party whose series was heavily feature in old school Nintendo systems for all ages? Mega Man, Simon and Hero. A M-Rated Third Party character who caters to gamers outside of usual Nintendo sphere? Snake and Joker.

Moveset? Please, this guy has a Katana, can climb walls and wall jump, can use Shurikens, Windmill Shuriken that works like a Boomerang, A Shield made out of Fire, Fire Ninjutsu, etc. And this is only his NES iteration. I haven't gotten into the full on combos Ryu can do in the Modern Games or his MASSIVE arsenal like a Scythe, a Bo, Nunchucks, Claws, and even Dual Wielding Katanas.

and before you say "MUH SHIEK" and "MUH GRENINJA" Im gonna go and repost what i said months ago:

I mean for christ sake, Sakurai considered NINJARA out of all people for the ARMS rep before setting on Min Min. Im pretty sure Sakurai has a thing for ninjas at this point.

Oh what? "MUH RELVEANCE"? Yeah sure, tell that to Banjo and Terry. and before anyone says "BUT BANJO WAS SUPER POPULAR AND THAT'S WHY RELEVANCE WAS IRRELEVANT" is a non-argument. Sakurai saw merit on the character and therefore he added him, despite his series beign dead since 2008. Terry's Smash reveal says "Smash X Fatal Fury" despite Fatal Fury beign dead since 1999, EVEN BEFORE MELEE CAME OUT, and that's because Terry has become SNK's number 1 mascot, which is why he appears in the KOF series despite his series beign dead (a case of Iconic Character, Forgotten Title).

When it comes to merit, moveset potential and legacy, Ryu is the only one who i have any major confidence outside of Geno and maaaaybe Crash. The only reason he is not rated any highter is because of me beign a pessimist in chances, the fact that Nintendo may suggest another guest that will play more to their interest, or Tecmo beign satisifed with their representation in Smash for whatever reason, etc

Outside of that, yeah, this is my pick when it comes to predictions.

Want:70%
I could go on and on about why i like Ryu Hayabusa in Smash, but you can see i already kind of did when it comes to his chances. I will say that i hope his moveset is mostly based on his NES outings, but im not against using modern or DOA elements at all either.

He's probably the only Third Party left that i want alongside Crash. I mean i like characters like Bomberman, Sophia and Quote, but those 2 are the ones that i actively would like to see.
Nothing has changed so far (except for Geno's death, poor guy). So i don't think i got too much to say. Now, onto the one that i never talked about:

Adol the Red (no, not that kind of red)

Chance: 20%

Adol is the main hero from the YS series, an action RPG franchise, and one of its oldest of its kind at that, predating Kingdom Hearts and Tales by decades and is as old as Mega Man. While the series was always niche and basically nonexistent in the west in late eighties and the entirety of the nineties, it has managed to slowly rise into popularity here in the rest of the world (but its still niche as ****) and managed to release their titles into worldwide audiences on the Switch plus some of the early games were on the NES and SNES, so i think he already has more merit than Reimu (who is not accissble to western markets aside from underground fanwork) or 2B (never has graced a Nintendo system, not even a random ass spin-off on the 3DS so that some guy can come in and say "ACHKTUALLEH")

One could also compare him to Terry. A niche fighting game icon that is not popular in the United States that represents a more unknown company and has a long history, versus a niche Action RPG icon that is not popular in the west that represents a more unknown company that has a long history.........but the comparison doesn't quite stand up. SNK and Terry are unkown in US sure, but they are known in basically the rest of the American continent: Brazil, Chile, Mexico, etc plus its popularity in China and other eastern countries, plus SNK in Japan being far more popular than Falcom, while YS is really only popular in Japan (and even then, while it's a significant franchise, it isn't one that you see being hailed as a pop culutre icon of gaming media over there either) and barely has a cult following in the west, and i can tell you as a Latin American from Chile that i see far more references to SNK than anything Falcom related, so i think this comparison only works in the "US doesn't know about them" scenario.

Honestly i think people relly too much on Terry in order to push Adol, in the same way 2B fans use Joker as a vehicle to support her, not seeing the differences between their merits and circumstances. Not only is Adol, YS, and Falcom smaller than SNK and Tecmo (another fellow Japanese developer that may want that share of the Smash pie) but is smaller than a lot of japanese gaming media franchises that could offer something that Adol already does. Tales may not be as old but it surely is more well known, is far more requested in Smash circles, has had a larger presence in general and would be easier to impelement in Smash due to the similarities between Tales and Smash gameplay, other comanies may also want that Smash pie such as the afromentioned Tecmo, and we may get another lesser well known Third Party company with a new character instead (which is the narrative as to why are talking about Adol in the first place, because we try to expect the unexpected) or maybe it's another western company that gets the shot such as Activision, or Third Parties already represented in Smash may want more and will be generous with their content, such as Capcom and Sega or you know................we may get more Nintendo characters.........i know, that sounds insane.

Still, despite the shortcomings of being a smaller series, never underestimate Sakurai's passion and his love for introducing gaming franchises into bigger audiences, nor his love for the more unkown and underground in gaming history as shown with Game and Watc and R.O.B, plus his general love of putting as much detail as possible into Guest characters and franchises, such as Sephiroth, The Belmonts and Castlevania, and just SNK general. I do think that Falcom would be more than willing to give anything Sakurai desires with no monkey's paw, so i don't see negiotiations being an issue here. All in all, a character that is possible, but not likely.

Want: 5%

I wish i could care more in terms of want, but i can't. I do have some curiosity in trying out YS games, plus last time i got introduced into a new franchise with Hero in ended up loving DQXI to death (too bad Hero sucks in Smash lol) so i want to keep an open mind, but it's hard to do so with a character as basic as Adol. I get it, Adol is an historical character, he was created in the eighties so i can't complain too much, that would be like saying Superman is boring without taking into account he was created as one of the first of his kind, so he only looks more average nowadays due "Seinfeld is Unfunny", but my lack of attachment to this franchise makes me hard to care.

To make matters worse, seeing how gimmicky DLC fighters are, Sakuai might try to overcompensate by giving him annoying gimmicks that will take away my enjoyment of the character.

Maybe it will be like Terry and he will be fun to play and introduce me to a new series, but for now, my interest doesn't go beyond curiosity.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Adol Christin

Chance: 25%
I could see this... possibly happening. I know everyone keeps conparing this to Terry, but it's not a bad comparison. Ys and Falcom both have a pretty big role in the history of Action RPGs, similar to Terry and SNK. Problem is, they're still a bit niche, so it's hard to say if that would hurt his chances. But again, we got Terry to the surprise of many, so who knows for sure.
Want: 50%
I got Ys VIII for Christmas, and I'm enjoying it so far. I'll admit, Adol is a bit basic, but I don't consider that a bad thing. He definetly earned a spot due to his history, though. Also, yeah, the music is great, as everyone else has said. I just want to actually finish Ys VIII before I go all in, make it more fair y'know?

Abstain on Ryu Hayabuse. I know nothing about Ninja Gaiden.

Nominations: [Rerate] Monokuma x10

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Abstaining on Adol

Ryu Hayabusha

Chance: 65%

Koei Tecmo has cooperated with a lot with Nintendo. On top of that, scarcity of contents from them is suspicious. This ninja has been consistently on everyone's prediction list. Relationship with Nintendo, NES legacy. He has almost everything needed to get in. Among TK rep, he's pretty much the company's mascot. No one comes close. Yes, there are cases that people's prediction came close to dead right. So, there is precedent for prediction coming true, but Nintendo/Sakurai have been good at messing with people's prediction, so you never know. Many people kept saying that another Sonic rep or Bandai Namco rep was due. Sure... they may happen in the last three slots, but it's still unpredictable. I feel Sakurai tends to avoid putting characters with similar/same looking weapon in the same pass. Although Ryu would definitely play differently from Sephiroth, his main weapon is his dragon blade which share similar aesthetic as Murasame. Hopefully, his variety of weapons, tools and fast pace gameplay should be enough to offset such similarity.

Want: 80%

I never got into NES games, so my only exposure is modern Ninja Gaiden. I thoroughly enjoyed those games. So, I would be hyped for his inclusion. I'm sorry that I'm familiar with his NES legacy. I prefer his modern outfit to his classic as the classic one looks generic. I think he can bring unique moveset apart from other sword users or ninja characters. And this would bring end to part of speculation scene. That's another reason I hope he gets in, so we can focus on other candidates.

Nom: Character that don't have their games on Nintendo platform x 10
3rd party company gets more than one fighter in the same pass x 5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nothing has changed for Adol and I wrote a super long and in-depth post for him so lemme just quote it

Captain Falcom

Alright y'all, it's time for another history lesson. Nihon Falcom is a Japanese game developer and publisher specializing mostly in RPGs. They've been at it since the 80s, so they're very much in the old school. It's understandable if you haven't heard about them, though, because most of their games are either old, unlocalized, on weird Japanese computers or kinda niche. If you're an NES geek, you're probably familiar with Xanadu and Faxanadu, and maybe Sorcerian and Dragon Slayer. If you're into deep cut JRPGs nowadays, chances are someone has recommended the Trails games to you, or maybe even Ys. So, yeah, Sonic this ain't.

With that frankly not very encouraging introduction, allow me to tell you why you should consider Falcom. Now, one game you probably do know is The Tower of Druaga. Either because of its status as a classic or because of its protagonist, Gil, showing up twice as a Mii Costume. What you might not know is that in Japan, it's considered one of the most influential games ever made. At the time considered a maze game (like Pac-Man, but with swords), it's regarded nowadays as the beginning of the action-adventure genre as we know it today, influencing Zelda, and leading to the creation of the Action RPG (for the sake of clarity we'll define ARPG as "Zelda, but with stats"). The first ARPGs are usually considered to be Dragon Slayer and Hydlide, which came out the same year. Dragon Slayer, the first of the two, was by Falcom. They followed up with Xanadu, and then Ys, refining the formula. Ys spawned a franchise that continues to this day, with 9 mainline titles all starring protagonist Adol Christin (took me quite a while to even mention him, huh?). Dragon Slayer spawned a ****-ton of spin-off franchises, with one of them, The Legend of Heroes, ditching the Action part in favor of being a straight JRPG. The Legend of Heroes itself spun-off into the aforementioned Trails series, which is also ongoing.

So, while most people have probably never heard of Falcom or even any of its games, its influence has rippled across the industry, starting out the genre that would lead to the likes of Secret of Mana. That's not a small feat. However, you might be thinking "okay, but there's many games in history that make their mark and are forgotten. Why should this Ys thing be any different?" You may also be wondering why, if I had to mention like 6 different game series, would Ys be the one chosen. Those are both valid questions, so I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

Why would Ys get a character and not, say, Dragon Slayer, or Trails, or Tower of Druaga, or Hydlide? Well, I think Ys has the perfect combination of attributes to be the ideal historical candidate. Simply put, I don't think either the modern Ys games or the Trails games would have much bearing on a Falcom character's inclusion. They're successful, sure, but they aren't a big deal. I think this is 100% a history pick and nothing else. So with that in mind I can't see them go for a Trails character like Estelle or Rean, because they don't represent the genre that gives Falcom its historical significance - they're from turn-based RPGs. At the same time, they can't exactly go for an old Dragon Slayer character because there isn't a recurring protagonist, nor is there one that is popular or recognizable to modern audiences to sell. In that aspect, Ys has the advantage, because Adol is the protagonist in every game and is still relevant nowadays. Hydlide is dead, aged poorly, has the disadvantage of coming second, is owned by a company that's no longer making games, and is most remembered as a pair of episodes of the Angry Video Game Nerd. And as for Tower of Druaga, aside from Gil being a Mii, it isn't technically an ARPG so I don't view it as competition.

"But GoodGrief, many games make an impact in gaming and don't get anything in Smash. What makes Ys different from, say, Ultima, or Joust, or Maniac Mansion, or Portopia Serial Murder Case?" Well, first off, I like the way you think, imaginary person. And, basically, the answer to that is basically relevance and ownership. Relevance because Ys is still getting games. As much as Sakurai might want to show off his gaming knowledge, you kinda have to sell the character to the masses. Rogue and Adventure and Tenchu are all influential games, but if people don't know who their reps are, Sakurai's explanation will only do so much. The second, ownership, is more pragmatic. Ultima is one of the most influential RPGs ever, but it's owned by EA. Do you really think they'd pick the Avatar when Commander Shepard is right there? And same with Maniac Mansion. As important as it might be, it's also owned by the people who brought you Sora. In contrast, even if you ignore the historical precedent, if you want to get a Falcom character, Adol will be one of the frontrunners.

I think that's all that needed to be said. Much will probably be made of the alleged leak that surfaced, which I don't really have any strong opinions on (though as DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire pointed out to me, Nintendo has been air-tight about leaks recently). My goal with this post was to illustrate why this character is different than others who have been carried by leaks alone (won't name names, but you know who I'm talking about). There is merit to be considered here, even if you err on the side of caution in regards to the leak.

I'm gonna give Adol a 15% chance, I think by the end of the day we could see him join the great fray.

Want: 90%
Confession time. I've only played old-school Falcom games. None of that new stuff, which is probably obvious given how fast I was to dismiss Trails' potential. So I've no connection to modern Ys, and therefore don't even know how Adol would play. I'm not even a huge fan of the games I did play (I had fun with them, but if you have a hard time adjusting to most retro games you definitely won't like them) and prefer the Xanadus. But I'm a sucker for history, so, yeah, that's a sheepish 90%. The only thing stronger than me liking a character is me thinking they should be in regardless of my opinion.

Noms: Scorpion x10
PMD content prediction: 12.64%
As for Mr. Gaiden himself

Chance: 55%
Still one of the few characters I'm confident in. An icon, the definitive videogame ninja. Star of a franchise so classic it defined two genres. Face of a company that's so close to Nintendo it's putting out big Nintendo titles yearly. And, with recent leaks and Team Ninja announcing that Nioh is currently on hiatus, it looks like it's also relevant, and trying for a Crash-style comeback. Ryu Hayabusa is the man who has everything. I'd be more surprised if he doesn't make it in than if he does.

Want: 100%
I adore Ninja Gaiden in every incarnation (well, not all of them - looking at you Yaiba). It's hard to choose the most exciting thing that would come from Ryu's addition. It could be the chance for a speedy but gimmickless weapon master moveset that feels ripped out of the NES game. It could be the Izuna Drop in all its glory. It could be the obligatory reference to the opening cutscene that you know his trailer would include. But the true answer is probably Unbreakable Determination, and however the madmen composers Ultimate employs would remix it.

Noms: Marina x10
47 x10

Alright, who are we rating tomorrow?
checks list

Predicting 10% for both, I don't know how the average looks for a ton of 0s and a handful of 100s

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I just started doing these RTC responses a week ago and even I know that Ryu Hayabusa has been done time and time again. Not that I mind, he's a sick character who I really want to be in.

Speaking of that

CHANCE - 80%
This is among the highest ratings I'll give any character, and i think everyone knows why at this point. Among fighters not in the game yet, Hayabusa has imo been the NUMBER ONE most consistently speculated character for SSBU over the past almost three years, only matched by some first-party picks like Rex. Yeah, number one, I remember his chances being considered high even in 2018. Other people have said the same thing about his chances so I'll keep it brief. He's an iconic retro character who's legacy has lasted even into the 21st century, he's from Koei Tecmo, company with very friendly relations to Nintendo, and he'd be exciting to a lot of fans of different demographics. I'm not gonna say he's a shoo-in for FP2, idk if anyone is, but dang if he ain't high on the list.

WANT - 80%
I just realized he's not in my "top newcomer wishes" section in my signature lol, I should change that. Yeah, Ninja Gaiden is dope. It's a classic series that codified "Nintendo Hard" tropes. I also just have a big bias towards classic NES games. They are cryptic, but in a way that's extremely fun to decipher. I've loved the recent localization of the first Fire Emblem game for that reason. Even today, Ninja Gaiden has tons of iconic moments like the cutscenes or the special moves. I know I know saying something "deserves" to be in Smash is pretty passé, but I'll take the pride hit here for my boy Ryu. He'd have a dope moveset with a dope stage and music. Unbreakable Determination in Smash! Who wouldn't want that? Plus imagine if it led to more Ninja Gaiden games.

I swear even the trailers pronounce "Ys" differently every time

CHANCE - 15%
Adol is a hard guy to rate here. Ys is definitely a series with a big legacy, including a lot of appearances on Nintendo. AND it's still active today! Adol himself has been part of the series since the beginning, and there's a lot to pull from for a moveset. The series's appearance in the west has been sketchy yes, but Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy were arguably worse in that regard. And yet despite all that... Ys is still so niche. I honestly feel bad for it cuz I feel like it deserves a bit more recognition heh. I even discovered it years ago not through the games themselves by through soundtracks on YouTube. I feel like I'm really lowballing it here with just a 15%, but I've just got this gut feeling that Ys doesn't have the clout that the "lesser-known" DLC fighters like KOF or Arms do.

WANT - 40%
Nihon Falcom is an underrated company. Remember when I mentioned I love old cryptic NES games? A spin-off of Falcom's Dragon Slayer series called Faxanadu was a big progenitor of side-scrolling RPGs, but pulled off even better than giant titles like Zelda II or Castlevania II. Great underrated game there, and my personal biggest exposure to anything Falcom. So yeah a part of this is just wanting to see Falcom get some love. But this is about Ys, which isn't even related to Dragon Slayer. Yeah i don't know much about Ys in the end sadly, but I know it's long lasting and has a lot of content it could bring to Smash. Plus I'm always excited for Smash to teach me more about games I don't know as well.

Nominations: Tetra x 10, A 4X strategy rep x 10

Predictions: KOS-MOS 35%, Sakura (I assume Shinguji) 15%

Top Bottom