• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Cloud also appears to have an updated Final Smash? It might have just been a special thing for the trailer.
It seemed to use the in-game models, so doubtful. My guess is, Omnislash Version 5 is a cosmetic variant of Cloud's Omnislash if he's using the Advent Children costume and SPECIFICALLY hits Sephiroth with it.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So yeah, unless we get significant outcry for it tomorrow, we will do it on the 17th.

Before I do my reactions (I plan on typing something big up), I will say we will do a small fixed schedule of ~10 days. Stay tuned.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I will say now though I'm excited for Sephiroth. He looks so fun. I think I already prefer this fighters pass over the last one.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So yeah, unless we get significant outcry for it tomorrow, we will do it on the 17th.

Before I do my reactions (I plan on typing something big up), I will say we will do a small fixed schedule of ~10 days. Stay tuned.
When will we know who those scheduled characters are? Has that been finalised yet?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ok gonna run through the awards themselves. Personally think while TLOU2 gets too much hate, I would not call it my GOTY. Heck I would not have put it in my top five. My GOTY was either Crash 4, Doom Eternal, or the FF7 Remake. Little disappointed that Crash did not win anything since that game is amazing. Glad that Among Us, Fall Guys, and Hades got some love in the awards at least.

Now lets go to the meat of this, the announcements. I won't lie, I was also looking at Disney's announcements for Star Wars at the time, which are pretty hype.

-Perfect Dark Reboot! I love the first Perfect Dark, it gives the same sense of fun that Goldeneye did, albeit a bit more polished. TBH it is one of the franchises in Microsoft's back pocket I am surprised they did not revive yet. Just make sure the multiplayer is good and you are making a strong case for me buying an Xbox Series X. Now, maybe can we get a new Banjo, or at least a remaster?

-Master Chief in fortnite. Ok i guess. I mean, I do not play Fortnite so cool. Glad Chief is getting love.

-Dragon Age 4 is a thing now. Hope its ok. Dragon Age has been on my backburner for ages.

-Speaking of Bioware, Mass Effect is back. After the disaster that was Andromeda, I hope that this one is handled well.

-Dead Space spiritual successor looks neat. Hope it has the same feel as the first Dead Space and is actually scary.

-Ark 2 interests me. I never played the first one (definitely not getting the switch version). It has an interesting trailer, and I do enjoy Vin Diesel.

-Gone Home devs are making a new game. Ok. Their games clearly have a lot of heart and soul, but I never got grabbed by them myself. Respect the product at least though. It looks interesting, I might try it out.

-Season had a cool trailer. Hope the game is fun, I will keep my eye on it.

-Road 96 seems very interesting. The concept is interesting and I dig the artstyle.

-Back 4 Blood looks awesome.

-Disco Elysium stuff, ehh...

-Among Us got a new map. Cool beans, love among us.

-Evil Dead Game! I love me some Evil Dead, so I am hype.

-Now Century: Ages of Ashes seems up my alley. So long as the game controls well I say watch this one, it looks so fun.

-Returnal release. TBH, this game seems ehh to me. Hope I am proven wrong, but I honestly have zero interest in it.

-Meat Boy Forever. TBH I do not like how you run all the time, I like having control over my movement. Who knows, it might be ok. The Demo I played at PAX was meh, at least it is still hard.

-Fall Guys stuff. Cool. Also Yakuza on PC, neat.

-FIST seems weird. I dig it.

-Evil West could be cool, but I want to see the game in action first. I need more gameplay.

-League Stuff ehh. TOS Online and Warframe bore me.

So, I like FIST, Route 96, Back 4 Blood, Perfect Dark, and Century: Ages of Ashes. Support for Fall Guys and Among Us is nice too. So overall, this would be a step up from last year even without the big guy.

:ultsephiroth:

Ok hot take, Sephiroth has an S Tier trailer. You see everyone on deaths door against Galeem, and suddenly you think they are saved. Galeem is taken down. And then the music cues. They are not saved, just under new management. Sephiroth then proceeds to beat down everyone in sight. His design is perfect, he seems just like what I would like. The only thing I could want would be a flame pillar attack. Other than that, he is perfect. I love the Wing, I love his alts.

I own the Sephiroth Support thread, You guys should know I find him hype as hell. Would I have preferred Neku? Probably. Am I happy that one of the biggest villains in gaming is in smash? Heck yeah. He looks so cool, I am hype.

Neku x10

Now for fixed schedule stuff. Right now the planning stages are in motion (PM me ideas if you want), but two characters seem set in stone right now: Eggman and Chun Li. Given who we just got, both make a ton of sense.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
VGAs reactions:

Overall not a bad show. Didn't really object to much on the awards side. The new map on Among Us looks interesting and I'm excited to play it on game night with all of you.

For award reactions, I loved Last of Us 2 so I was happy it won game of the year. I'm forgetting who won a lot of stuff already but I'm also happy Ghost of Tsushima won a bit too. Gonna be playing that soon enough. None of my predicted games were correct which sucks. Maybe next year NCAA Football. Kinda thought that if we started with Smash we'd end on something really big but the new stuff kinda just died off after that for me at least. Not saying it was bad, but not really a ton of stuff I was interested in. Oh well, that'll happen sometimes. Overall I think the show could probably be a bit shorter still because I found myself losing interest midway through but this was still a big, big step up from last year where nothing happened over 5 hours and we ended with Fast and Furious of all things.

Oh yeah, the Smash reveal happened too. Loved it. Easily the most hype I've been over a characters inclusion since the last VGA reveal had Joker. Guessing this was the plan all along too since Sephiroth makes a ton of sense for the VGAs. Finally completing the FF7 content after Smash 4 basically gave us nothing is pretty great too. I would have popped when I realized who it was if I didn't have someone working on ceiling during the VGAs and didn't want to freak him out.

So, does this reveal change everything we thought we knew about Smash though? A little bit, but also no in my opinion. I'll likely have plenty of chances to explain what I mean so for now I'll save it for then.

Character rankings based on personal hype only so far:
1. Joker
2. Sephiroth
3. Byleth
4. Min Min
5. Steve
6. Hero
7. Banjo
8. Terry

Overall I'm happy with what I watched and don't regret it one bit. Found myself feeling a bit sad that we're already half way through this pass. While I want Sakurai to finally get his break I really don't want this to end. Smash reveals, especially this year, have been pretty big highlights in the middle of boring and dull times. The day is going to come when Smash 6 is here and we lose so many characters but until that happens I just want as much fun with this game as possible.

Predictions:
Vectorman - 7.41

Noms:
John Marston x10

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Game Awards Reactions

Definitely better than last year's, but that's for sure. But I can't say I was too interested in this year's either. Monst of the trailers and reveals weren't relevant or were uninteresting for me, didn't enjoy the Smash reveal, and the Last of Us 2 winning every category it was nominated for screamed "SHILL!". It does have its' merits, but for such a controversial game I really didn't think it was Game of the Year material. Happy that Animal Crossing still got an award despite being kinda snubbed. As much as Among Us is a meme, I'm glad both it and even Fall Guys are pressing on with new content despite the waning popularity. It shows commitment and love for their games. Humankind had a cool trailer and I'm glad it finally has a release date. As a Civ fan who adored Civ 5 but really disliked Civ 6 this will definitely be a game I will be trying. The Master Chief stuff for Fortnite was cool, even if it ended up being leaked.

Now for Sephiroth, the big focus of this rating. I'll say I'm one of the few who was extremely disappointed by this reveal. I never cared much about Final Fantasy but even then I don't think it was time for Sephiroth. Square has so many franchises, and it was an opportunity for them once Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were in. Sephiroth completely took that away by not only double dipping on the same series, but also the same GAME. If we were going to get another Final Fantasy rep it should've been Terra or another SNES-era FF character rather than Square's endless fixation on 7. Not to mention advertising a remake that isn't even on the Switch. I get that Sephiroth is an iconic gaming villain and that he certainly has the pedigree for the position but I just don't think now was the time for him. I personally think we should've gotten representation for a Square Enix franchise not already in Smash before double dipping on Final Fantasy, let alone the same game in the franchise.

Overall, this image describes my feelings:

don.PNG

Nominations:
4x Strategy Rep x15
Concept: Miles Edgeworth as Phoenix Wright's alt/echo x15

Predictions:
Vectorman - 3.55%

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I don't have much to say about the awards. I find it odd that they weren't spread out a little better this year, it seems most awards went to select games, but eh, it's all a popularity contest in the end anyways.

Interesting how a lot of games that were popular earlier this year are getting more content. Among Us has a Henry Stickman map coming, and Fall Guys is adding a bunch of content. The trailers for the games were neat, but once again, Nintendo's trailers were severely lacking. They haven't had a direct in a while either, and a lot of people are worried directs are going the way of the dodo, and not the two dodos running New Horizon's Airport. I really hope some substantial Nintendo news is coming soon. Nice orchestral performance for a Mario medley though.

As for Sephiroth... I'm certainly in the minority. I'm... a little irked. It's not so much the character himself, I've never played Final Fantasy and at the end of the day don't feel strongly one way or the other for him. What does irritate me, is the idea of paying for content in the Final Fantasy universe that should have been included with Cloud. Music aside, since I know that's got it's own caveat of issues, you can't convince me that spirits were impossible to negotiate. Now, I don't necessarily think they held off on Final Fantasy spirits just to sell them back to us with Sephiroth, since Pass 2 wasn't official until after Pass 1, but that doesn't mean I want to pay for content Cloud should've had with him when he was on the base roster. On top of that, Sephiroth is more Final Fantasy 7. So sorry fans of Final Fantasy 1-6 or 8-15. You don't like the Final Fantasy game that Square likes. Granted, I can't be hard on this since Sephiroth might include spirits from other games, not just 7, but I'm a bit weary. As for his trailer, I know a lot of people were excited by him OHKOing Galeem, but I can't help but see that as laughable considering when you play as him he'll still have to fight Galeem the same way everyone else does, it's almost like Sonic in the Subspace Emissary in a way. Then there's the matter of what we do know about his moveset. Another counter character and insane range does not excite me...

I don't know, I'd probably feel more neutral towards him if it weren't for the fact that Cloud in base game gave us nothing. We may as well not even have Final Fantasy in this game until now. I guess at the end of the day, I've always felt Final Fantasy was incredibly mismanaged in Smash, and Sephiroth's inclusion is a huge spotlight on that issue. I will admit though, everything after the content issue was more a nitpick since I was venting, none of it was really a big deal in hindsight. I won't fully judge his moveset until we see him fully in action, but it'll take a lot to convince me he'll be a balanced fair fight.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Holy crap. Sephiroth. I never expected him and I couldn't believe that the thumbnail of those YouTube videos about Sephi in Smash were real, and after watching the trailer, I still can't believe it, and I'm so hyped that he's in. I am 100% satisfied that he's in, I really wanted another FF rep in Smash, and Sephiroth was one of the hightest on my wishlist, behind only Tidus. And One-Winged-Angel is now confirmed to be in Smash. Damn. I still can barely believe it.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Seth Rollins
Chance: 0.01%
Considering the lack of FF content in Smash, Sephiroth getting in doesn't make any sense. We're lucky that Cloud is still in the game. If we get another Square Enix character, it would probably be from another one of their other major franchises instead of yet another FF character.
Hahaha look at this stupid idiot.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well the character im gonna give 75% to. would have preferred some one from a different FF game and i dont really care for villains but still seems like a great inclusion. i beginning to think SE have a rule that if you have cloud you must have sephiroth

as for the the award winners i really dont have any thoughts one way or the other

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
TGA 2020 Reactions

Sephiroth in Smash: this is a perfect example of a character that I don't have any personal attachment to but am still really glad they got in. Sephiroth is one of the most iconic villains in gaming history and will even be bringing One-Winged Angel to Smash so its really hard to hate his inclusion. Plus his trailer was just a new level of epic (ngl before the music played I thought it was gonna be Sora or even Dragonborn). Of the FP2 characters this is probably the one I'm the most hyped for. If I had to give a satisfaction rating based solely on his inclusion alone, I'd probably give about a 70%.

Only real downside to Sephiroth's inclusion is that Neku is looking a lot less likely now. But at the same time, additional characters from repped series may also be a thing for at least one of the remaining challenger packs. I think this leaves a lot of possibilities so speculation is definitely going to be interesting. Either way, I'm pretty sure everyone is going to have a mini heart attack when they see Mii Costumes pop up during next week's Sephiroth presentation.

I pretty much stopped watching the TGAs once Sephiroth got revealed. I don't really care about any of the awards though it seems this year's show wasn't as bad as the one from last year. NieR Replicant footage and Perfect Dark reboot were probably the most interesting things to me.

Vectorman chance prediction: 1.00%

Nominations:
Concept: Curly Brace as Quote's Alt/Echo x10

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Ok here are my full thoughts

This show was a million times better than last year's. Even with just the game announcements and footage: Nier, Myst, Perfect Dark, Ghosts n Goblins, the Capcom arcade compilation, they knocked this out the park.

As for my thoughts on Sephiroth, the same as last night. He is probably one of my favorite DLC characters so far just based on inclusion alone. He is one of the most iconic gaming villains so his inclusion is big. Plus it's always nice to see more villains. His reveal trailer is also one of my favorites and one of the best by far. Him slicing Galeem in half, the music, the buildup, the part where it looked like he straight up murdered Mario, the character cameos and interactions, great stuff. I 100% agree with Phantom. Most of the Smash crew thought they were safe, then Cloud was like, "Not even close." Awesome trailer.

For the awards themselves, I don't really care, especially since TLOU 2 won so many, some of them it didn't deserve.

But overall, it was a great show in my eyes. I even enjoyed some of the side stuff like the Last Surprise remix at the beginning.

Prediction (same thing) - 0.80%

Noms: Among Us character x10

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Sephiroth

He's a nice addition. I was bummed that we got a character from FF7 out of all those SE franchises. But as I watched his trailer, I warmed up to him. He is different from anime swordman because he wields katana... and long reach at that. I think his playstyle looks interesting enough. Overall, his trailer was pretty epic. I love easter egg here and there. He's a nice surprise. Still, I feel disappointed that Lara's chance greatly diminished... I guess this pretty much kills her chance. I wonder how much content Sephiroth will bring. Hopefully, SE won't be stingy this time.

Nom: Characters that don't have their games on Nintendo Platform x 10

BowserKing

Smash Lord
I mainly went there for the Smash Reveal, and I’m shocked that Sephiroth got in. Even more shocked that he sliced Galeom in half.

Satisfaction rating of Sephiroth is 90%. Square Enix has redeemed themselves in Smash Bros. Also I’m 100% confident that the Chocobo Mii Costume will return.

Prediction: Vectorman (5%)

Noms: 5 for Echo: Bowser

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
DUN DUN DUN DUN

I've made it clear I had no expectations for TGA and I also felt that there's absolutely nothing that could make watching it at 1AM to 5AM worth it, so thanks to my partner who sent me link that wouldn't spoil the character, I got to see this announcement after waking up. Going from cautious to wanting to scream so loudly I'd wake up my family is a feeling I don't think I've experienced very often, I love FF7 and despite wanting Tifa, Barret and Aerith over Sephiroth, I was in shock at just how ****ing amazing this one ****ing character looked. Circling orbs? That ****'s cool and had snappy ass visual and audio design. That beeeeeeg meaty up smash? I fell in love instantly. An install? **** yeah! Octoslash and either Flare or Firaga? Keep the good **** coming! Then of course, Cloud getting an extra final smash and a glimpse at Safer Sephy is goddamn amazing. I'm very confident we'll get at least 3 tracks, so yeah, Sephiroth gets a 90% satisfaction rating. I just wonder what the **** we're getting ourselves into next week

Velvet Crowe x10

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
So, TGS reactions right? Having slept on the stuff I think I can give a proper comment now.
I tuned out after the reveal so I can't say much on the rest of the things, I figured I wouldn't have much interest in the rest of the show like last time but hey that new Ghosts n Goblins looks pretty rad. Aside from that, very neat there's also a new Perfect Dark. No comment on the awards proper themselves as I didn't really look into them. Alright, all this being said...

Sephiroth. What an awesome pick! I had thought about the possibility before since many characters just come into mind when things are so open like they are at the moment, but I was not expecting it. The trailer was great, moveset looks fun, he looks like he has some magic which is great. I'm looking forward to seeing it in more detail next week, as well as all the content he'll bring. I hope he at least gets to have more than two songs, hah. But if somehow there are just two, One Winged Angel is a given so I hope the other one is Birth of a God.

My only major bummer is that this probably spells badly for other SE characters, particularly Geno who I was hoping for. I didn't think he was guaranteed or anything, but he was always on the back on my mind. Well, we'll see on the presentation how that goes... Other choices such as Neku would've been cool as well. But I guess that's how it is. Yesterday I was also a tad bummed that they went for FF again, but instead of Black Mage or another character, it was someone from FF7 again, but then again, given just who Sephiroth is I really don't mind. So far this character is one of my favorites in FP2.

I'll give full thoughts when the presentation comes around, but if I had to give a satisfaction rating for Sephiroth at the moment I'd say 70%.

Noms: Worms x10.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Definitely a lot better than last year.

Sephiroth's reveal made up for it especially, I'm not even a FF fan but I'm pretty hyped for his inclusion. We got our first 3rd party villain!

That said, I give this a 8/10 only because of TLoU 2 winning GotY and no gameplay/trailer for God of War: Ragnarok.

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
TGS reactions
Minus the reveal, I've pretty much forgotten everything from yesterday apart from Dead Space and the Persona performance. So that was pretty cool I guess.

As for the reveal itself, I'm happy my predictions didn't come true. I have no personal connection to FFVII or Sephiroth, but he's a cool character.

I was sorta disappointed at the moment of the reveal, as Geoff seemed to hint at Waluigi with "Everyone's here! Or is there someone else we're waiting for?"(and Charles Martinet posting "WAAAH" shortly before it started), but it's not like I'm sad.

Nominations
Beat x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I feel pretty confident in saying that last night was the best show in TGA's short history.

As someone who watches the show mainly for the awards, last night was looking to be just mildly interesting in that regard, as I haven't played most of the games nominated but also the majority looked like games that I'd like and that deserved their nominations. So TGA really had to make up for it in the reveal side. Thankfully last year's reveals were so mocked that Geoff had no choice but to bring out the big guns. And bring out the big guns he did.

Let's go over my personal highlights:

• Nier Replicant numbers numbers: this is probably one of the best examples of games that need remakes to shine. A game with amazing story and ideas brought down by awful gameplay? Hell yeah remake that ****. As a fan of Automata I'm looking forward to this, though no Switch port is a letdown.

• Perfect Dark: like with Fable, all I needed was a title to get into this. Just the fact that they're bringing back Perfect Dark is exciting, finally Microsoft is making use of all their wonderful IPs. If this is really a modern return to form to the GoldenEye school of shooters, it would be a treat.

• Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection: if anyone had doubts about the Capcom leak they should be gone now. It's simply fantastic to see GnG brought back, but also it looks top-notch. The gameplay looks like a perfect recreation of Arthur's awkward movement and the artsyle is a really bold and well-executed direction.

• Capcom Arcade Stadium: not much to say here but if you know me you know I love me some retro games.

• It Takes Two: A Way Out was a really fun time and It Takes Two looks like it's taking what worked there and going even wilder and more imaginative. Josef Fares is very easy to root for, from his brash but passionate personality to the fact that somehow he's making small creative indie games for freaking EA. Everyone secretly knows this but co-op is the most fun way to play any game so I'm excited to see more games geared explicitly towards it.

• Scarlet Nexus: not the best trailer but if this game plays as well as it looks it would be a treat. I think we got a release date too which is awesome.

• Returnal and Oddworld: Soulstorm: lumping these two together because I have nothing to say other than they look really interesting so it was great to get release dates (especially for Soulstorm, that one's taken a while)

Aside from that, I had a chuckle at the stupid name that is Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War Warzone, cringed at Bioware's trailers (you can't show another cinematic trailer for Dragon Age 4 where the only reveal is that it's getting the blandest name possible, and continuing the Mass Effect storyline after 3 just reeks of a studio desperately trying to recapture their old glories), took mild interest in the game from the Dead Space guy and the Evil Dead game, and the rest kinda blurs together. Is there something else I'm forgetting?

Oh yeah...

• Mother****ing Sephiroth: I screamed out loud when I heard One-Winged Angel. It's perfect. The trailer was perfect. Visually he looks awesome. I can never make sense of a moveset without Sakurai Presents but it looks super cool. We're getting more FF7 content. It just blows my mind. And I was right about third party franchises getting second characters which is always nice but even if I was wrong I'd be glad to be because it's ****ing Sephiroth.

So, all in all, I had a great time watching the TGAs yesterday.

If we're also doing noms today then I give mine to Marina.

I'll be right back with confirmed/disconfirmed.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Welcome to a round of confirmed/disconfirmed, that will probably be super outdated super soon because Sakurai's presentation is in less than a week!

Confirmed

Sephiroth
13.45% c - 36.04% w (first rating)
10.38% c - 38.25% w (second rating)

Concept: A character who isn't the star of their own game
54.25% c - 86.50% w
If this wasn't confirmed after Min Min it certainly is now.

Concept: Fighter from repped third party franchise
19.84% c - 58.86% w

Hard disconfirmed

Nobody got hard disconfirmed thanks to the Final Fantasy tradition of giving the least amount of content possible.

Now, to be fair, it wouldn't make sense to have KoF style cameos in the Northern Crater. It's possible that Sephiroth will actually have Spirits, so he could still disconfirm some characters. Even if he doesn't, we're sure to get Mii Costumes...

Soft disconfirmed (expect some of these to be hard disconfirmed come next week)

Geno
18.10% c - 43.03% w (first rating)
8.09% c - 54.39% w (second rating)
39.71% c - 61.90% w (third rating)
42.50% c - 62.93% w (fourth rating)
39.88% c - 63.85% w (fifth rating)

2B
21.72% c - 46.18% w (first rating)
35.41% c - 64.09% w (second rating)
17.92% c - 43.73% w (third rating)

Crono
1.80% c - 51.00% w

Lara Croft
29.75% c - 54.21% w (first rating)
29.50% c - 69.06% w (second rating)
32.41% c - 66.19% w (third rating)
x5 noms

Noctis Lucis Caelum
2.62% c - 33.36% w

Neku Sakuraba
6.46% c - 53.89% w (first rating)
24.82% c - 68.33% w (second rating)
x129 noms

Terra Branford
8.03% c - 65.24% w

Agnès
25.15% c - 49.48% w

****ing Tidus
3.96% c - 45.00% w

Moogle
0.54% c - 37.47% w

Concept: A Bravely Default character
13.92% c - 56.82% w

Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep
x55 noms

Looking better

Every character from a franchise that's already represented, as Sephiroth proves that if the name is big enough the content surrounding them can be arranged. This especially helps third party characters, as while first party characters of this kind always had their hardcore defenders, it hasn't been so easy for third party supporters.

The remaining Mii Costumes returning: this is more of a question for next week but if Geno comes back, and it's looking like he will, then gone is the character many people cited as the one roadblock in the concept

???

Sora: dude's owned by Disney but he's always lived in the best or worst of both worlds depending on who you ask.

Last edited:

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
TGA Reaction:
I was there for Smash and was glad that the reveal was very early on. After that I could have left but I left it open in the background.
I had no expectations and I was mildly entertained. I didn't like the outcome of most of the awards despite the fact that I wasn't invested in it.
I'm glad I caught the new Rise trailer and I'm mildly interested in the Evil Dead game. I love Evil Dead but I'm not that interested in playing it.
Ghosts'n Goblins is exciting because of the implications.

The main highlight besides Smash for me was definitely the Wooper Watch even though I don't play Pokémon Go.

I haven't played a Final Fantasy game yet so I don't have a strong desire to have Sephiroth in the game. But he was not Jonesy. For that I am happy. I just hope he's fun to play.

Noms: 2B Mii x10

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Sephiroth is definitely a very fun pick, seeing him slash Galeem in half only to have One Winged Angel blare afterwards made me smile. His inclusion takes me back to the early days of Brawl modding and how he was always such a common character to see on Brawl Vault, and how he'd almost never be a well balanced character with his crazy range that made Melee Marth look inadequate, lol. I trust the Smash team will keep in him in check though.

Really, my only problem with his inclusion is that I think I would've rather seen Square tap into another series or at the very least, another FF game before going back into FFVII just to round things out representationally. I am really hoping that we can get some Final Fantasy spirits and music tracks that aren't just from FFVII. I desperately want to see FFV's Battle on the Big Bridge, FFIV's Boss Theme, and FFXIII's Blinded by Light included. But really, FFVII representation is so bad in the first place, that as long as he can bring us J-E-N-O-V-A and Crazy Motorcycle Chase, I'd be pretty happy.

Overall, I'd probably give the guy a 70% in satisfaction. He's just such an iconic and cool character that I can't really see much reason to be anything but happy with him.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
And now my last post of the day, how much did I get wrong with my predictions?

My predictions:

Well obviously we're getting Smash. Right now I'm feeling that Crash, Geno, Hayabusa and Jonesy could be revealed. Which means that I'm going to predict that none of them is FP8 because come on, I'm obviously not gonna get it right.

As for other reveals/trailers, I think Nintendo will definitely have something aside from Smash. Either BotW2 (probably not), Metroid Prime Trilogy or 4, or Bayo 3 come to mind. Or maybe an unannounced game but that seems unlikely because Nintendo usually prefers to announce stuff on their own terms. From Sony I think we could get either GoW Ragnarok or Horizon Forbidden West, plus Ratchet & Clank. That rumored new Silent Hill is supposed to be revealed tonight as well. From Microsoft I really expect very little, maybe Psychonauts 2 or Hellblade 2. Fable if I'm being optimistic. I think we could get something from Sonic's delayed anniversary announcements. Bravely Default and No More Heroes could have a repeat showing. Activision will have either the next Crash game or Overwatch 2. Capcom should be getting started with announcing the two leaked February titles, though those could very well come in a Direct instead. Battlefield 6 I imagine could get a reveal here since E3 got canned. From Bethesda I think we'll see the next game from one of their smaller studios (so Deathloop, GhostWire, or whatever Machineworks is doing). And we'll probably get a ton of crap from Riot.

Edit: oh yeah we're probably going to get a lot of ty movie trailers since Tom Holland, Gal Gadot and Brie Larson are all presenters. Uncharted is a guarantee, Wonder Woman 1984 will also probably be there ( you Former Bros.) and as for Brie Larson... I dunno. She might just announce Best Family Game since she's a big fan of Animal Crossing, and if Samus is actually in Fortnite then she might announce that too (she's a Metroid fan and has lobbied for the role of Samus in a live action adaptation)

Now, for the awards. I think GotY is between Ghost of Tsushima and Animal Crossing, with The Last of Us Part II having a shot at an upset. Direction is probably Last of Us, Art Direction I feel could be anyone, Music is between legends Gordon, Uematsu and Santaolalla, Ongoing is Fortnite, Indie is Hades, Mobile is Among Us, VR is Half-Life Alyx, Accessibility is Last of Us, Fighter is Mortal Kombat 11, RPG is Final Fantasy VII Remake, Family is Animal Crossing, Sim is Flight Simulator, Sports is THPS1+2, Multiplayer I think could go to either Animal Crossing or Among Us, Debut Game is a big question mark but it should go to Carrion, Anticipated Game is Breath of the Wild 2.

Action is a crapshoot because Doom is infamous for being nominated for Game of the Year in 2016 and losing Best Action to a game that wasn't even nominated for GotY (Titanfall 2). So I think it could be anyone, but I'm rooting for Streets of Rage 4.

Action-Adventure I think is the canary in the coalmine on whether the critics stuck to their guns or ended up siding with the backlash. If they give it to Ghost of Tsushima, expect it to win Game of the Year. If they give it to Miles Morales or, god-forbid, Assassin's Creed, then it's anyone's game. If The Last of Us does win, then we could very well be looking at a GotY for it.

So uh yeah, those are my in-depth predictions for tonight. Look for them to be all wrong and we end up with Reimu in Smash, Metal Gear Solid 6 being announced and Hades winning GotY.

Noms: Marina x10
If we're predicting Vectorman, 3.2%
Obviously I got Smash wrong. Probably more than most given one of my predictions was Geno, which... Yikes.

The only thing I called game-wise were the two Capcom games and those had to get leaked with release dates beforehand. Nintendo got nothing, Sony only went with Returnal, while Microsoft blew me away with freaking Perfect Dark. We didn't get those movie trailers either thankfully, though Brie Larson might have announced Best Family Game (can't remember). No Samus in Fortnite either.

Awards-wise I did much better! TLOU2 did pull off an upset and the Action-Adventure category did foreshadow it (they even pointed it out themselves). All I got wrong was Ongoing Game, Debut Game (did not expect Phasmophobia to get anything), Most Anticipated (I wasn't aware that it was solely player-voted, obviously the desperate and dedicated Elden Ring fandom would win that), and Action (I forgot Hades was even nominated). That's way better than I expected. Maybe I should run TGA...

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
TGA satisfaction: I came to see the Among Us map, and it was awesome! Oddworld being there was also amazing!

And of course, Mr. Estuans Interius, Ira Vehementi himself, Sephiroth! I did not see that coming. While he will give me dispair if he opened the door to Eggman, the man with the master plan, it will be interesting seeing how they pitifully attempt to balance an obvious top 10 character.

All jokes aside, Sephiroth was an inclusion that while I am merely fine with, I understand his legacy beats the everliving **** out of anybody I could ever want, times a hundred, and then some. So I'd say he was a great pick.

All in all, 40% satisfaction.

Arle x 5/10/whatever.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
TGA Reactions

I'll be honest, I've mostly forgotten what all was announced this year. Though I DO remember that TLOU2 got WAY more awards than expected, to the point of many suspecting fraud or something. That being said, I'm okay with Sephiroth. I'll admit, I'm not the biggest fan of the "more villains" quota (I tend to prefer the protagonists in... pretty much everything), but he's DEFINETLY earned a spot. Although I would like to offer my condolences to all the people who wantex a Square Enix that WASN'T Sephy (Lara Croft, 2B, Gex, and ESPECIALLY Geno: those guys took it extra hard, judging by the thread being temporarily locked).

Nominations: [Rerate] Monokuma x10

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
TGA thoughts

Back 4 Blood! **** yeah! I loved Left 4 Dead and it's sequel and this is basically a spiritual successor since Valve decided to never bother making video games ever again.
Definitely going to be keeping an eye on this one. The guys at Turtle Rock are extremely talented but keep suffering from bad luck.

Swedish Chef in Overcooked is ironically one of my favourite things from this.

ARK had Vin Diesel in the most uncanny valley trailer I've seen in a long time. Love the concept of ARK but that kid was one of the creepiest things I've ever witnessed. Animated series on the other hand looked great.

Jammed out to the Mario Orchestra but noticed we skipped over both Sunshine and 3D World's tunes.

Although what was up with the 3D World teaser? Literally the same one we got in September. We still don't know **** about Bowser's Fury and I haven't even seen my boy Captain Toad confirmed back in the game. What gives?

Sephiroth...well I'm not that big of a Final Fantasy guy...hell I don't like most of Square's library sans Tomb Raider but One Winged Angel is a jam and Sephiroth is suitably a big video game character that even I thought was kinda cool.

Now where the hell is Eggman? Sonic needs his villain if Cloud's getting his.

Overall a 60% happiness for Sephiroth from me. Mostly for his tune tbh. Damn it's a jam though.

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
TGA Reactions

Sephiroth: **** yeah. Was slightly disappointed at first because I was really thinking this could a LoL rep coming into the show. Got over it after like 5 minutes though. This is actually a better pick. He wasn't my first option from Square, mostly because I assumed he wasn't an option to begin with. The reveal trailer rocked. He just casually 1 shots Galeem, then takes on like 20 fighters like he just does not give a ****. I love how he ruins World of Light just to torment Cloud. He's like "You thought you could hide from me? **** off overgrown lemon" slashes Galeem

So the fighters pass has given my 2nd and 3rd favorite games (Persona 5 and FF7R) reps. LoL rep confirmed for FP3! Unless Sephiroth's gameplay is an absolute joke, I'll probably put time in on him.

Awards:
Happy to see LoL get almost all of the esports awards(5/6).
Slightly annoyed to see FF7 only get 1 award as it was my GOTY pick. The awards are really just for fun anyway, so no big deal.

Noms: LoL Rep x5

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
TGA Reactions:
Yeah, I'd say this was a much better show compared to last year's. It had it's cringe moments, and I'm still livid that TLOU2 got GOTY for being a crunched-on sob-story that forgot what fun was when the other five candidates actually embodied fun and remembered what video games were all about - fun and enjoyment. But my dislike of TLOU2, Naughty Dog and Neil Druckmann are for another time.

Easily the whole thing got eclipsed by Sephiroth's amazing and out of the blue reveal. I was amazed and relieved that SEPHIROTH was going to be the next character instead of bloody Jonesy like everyone was either spitefully or unwillingly wanting to summon into existence, but man, Sephiroth just looked amazing. Safe to say that I was satisfied when I finally saw Sephiroth's full trailer. I can't wait to see more of him in action.

There were a few other things that I liked about the show - Hades getting the best indie (which it rightfully deserves), the Among Us team's joy at getting two awards and how grateful and wholesome it was to see their game reach that level of praise and well-toppat'd off with the Toppat Clan Airship map. Can't wait to play with friends on that new map. Animal Crossing winning best Family - rightfully well deserved, so to for FFVII Remake winning Best RPG and Score.

A few other announcements caught my attention. That Evil West game looked pretty interesting for a concept that i'd play - Cowboy vs demons, but I think someone else said it before - Let's see what the gameplay is and that it manages to remember what fun is. Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection is a pleasant surprise, and I also liked It Takes Two's announcement and gameplay reveal too, especially since I remember Josef Farez and his "F@#$ the Oscars!" and A Way Out being surprisingly good. Some announcements also fell into "Oh that's neat" like Vin Diesel appearing in a new Ark game (The Hololive Ark Survival Evolved addicts going to enjoy that), Mass Effect's return is also surprising, but being cautious since Andromeda being what it was... Perfect Dark is also a surprise reveal, but I don't have much of a connection to it outside of knowing the name and it being tied to Rare's days with Nintendo, but I'd be keen for that.

there were a few other things that seemed sus too - not just TLOU2, but with the pacing and structure of events and reveals - since quite a number of awards were handed out during the pre-show, which seems... odd? If you're going to do that, make it so that they're given proper time and that it doesn't become an advert drive like it was last year.

All around, it's hard to top Sephiroth, but there were a few highlighted announcements that caught my interest that I'd be keen on following, and some of the games I was rooting for got their awards, but I'm still mad at Druckmann's ego-centric sob-story AKA TLOU2 robbing Hades and the other candidates for GOTY.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'll post my original planned predictions as well;

• Bayonetta 3, Breath of Wild Sequel, Metroid Prime 4 shown off a bit.
Yeah, I had barely any. XD

For Reactions;

• GOTY: I saw TLOU2 winning. I haven't played the game, so I've got no opinion on it. For better or worse.
  • Sephiroth: No ****ing Way was my literal response. Why yes, that is a censored word. That came out of nowhere and I love it. I actually first thought "Master Hand?", which to be fair, just having him usable even in a special multiplayer mode would be amazing too.
    • The music was beautiful, btw.
    • Cloud has a new Final Smash under some condition? Hell yeah!
  • New Ghosts & Goblin game is awesome!
  • I love Red VS Blue, so seeing it referenced in Fortnite is sweet. Master Chief's costume is the icing on the cake.
  • I admit I barely paid attention or remember the other awards/games.
    • That said, Wooper is cute.
Worth noting last year I really enjoyed the Muppet and Untitled Goose Game stuff. So while this year had a super exciting reveal, I found last year overall more entertaining.

I have no clue if this is really enough to justify noms. Overall, of the only two years I watched, I'm satisfied. I only wish TOK won something. But it's not like it had enough awards to stand a chance, so that's life.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Vectorman from Vectorman.

Predict Carl "CJ" Johnson from Grand Theft Auto.

Megadoomer Megadoomer

-----

Some songs to get into the Vectorman mood:

Top Bottom