• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

agamemenon

Smash Rookie
And I thought the Kingdom Hearts series had confusing game titles. Why is the 4th main entry game called Megadimension Neptunia VII? I guess the remakes count for entry numbers but still that is way too confusing and doesn't make much sense regardless. Also the upcoming remake of the original game is going to be called Go! Go! 5 Jigen Game Neptune: re☆Verse which is making my head hurt just trying to think about.
Dang Compile Heart, shamelessly trying to ride off the coattails of Final Fantasy VII (the fourth Final Fantasy game in America)'s smashing success.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
At this point, I'd call it the Sega Andromeda to go with the Switch/PS5/Series X era.

Chance: Ehehe... yeah, this is a 1%. Neptune is lacking basically every category you'd need to be on Nintendo's radar. I could see her being a tongue-in-cheek Sakurai selection, as she represents the Console Wars, kinda, I guess. But really, what does she have? Her games do not sell very well. Her games do not perform very well critically, being considered mediocre-to-bad. Her games do not even get a lot of respect from the fanbase for the gameplay, who are there for the characters (it seems). She didn't reinvent the genre or do anything super groundbreaking. And her fan demand, while not totally nonexistent, is rather slim compared to even other notable Japanese fan wants, let alone western ones where she often struggles to be a blip in the radar. Things look extremely bleak for her, and the one-and-only positive she has is that her series is alive and doesn't seem like it'll die anytime soon.

Want: 30%. I have actually no interest in trying these games out, but I have seen a small, but dedicated fandom to the games. As a pure outsider... they seem... meh at best, but with an enjoyable world enough. But I do not know what Neptune has to differentiate herself in the Great Fray, so right now I don't want her for her, and... I really wouldn't care too much.

Frisk and Red x 5. Bravely Default is kind of a weasel word here; does it refer to the whole Bravely series/franchise (1, 2, and Second) or just the original Bravely Default in particular? Either way, the weaknesses are likely to be similar, so 13.26%.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
The 8th Planet

0.1% Chance

Look, most super niche things do not do well in RTC. Even franchises that are only a little niche like Danganronpa (sorry Ninja) do not do great on here. But Neptunia is super nice. The franchise, while having a fanbase, is not super connected to Nintendo consoles or smash demand. Even then, the fanbase is rather small. Compile Heart does not have a strong relationship with Nintendo. The series also does not even sell that well. Normally this would result in a higher score than close to zero, but we may only have 4 spots left. I doubt Neptune would be one of them,.

1% Want

One of my friends likes the Neptunia franchise, so hooray for them . But I could not care less. I have no interest in these games whatsoever. Neptune herself does not interest me as a fighter. I do not have a need for the music. Maybe if I played the games this would be higher, but right now it is a pity percent for a friend.

Coco as Crash's Echo/Costume x 10

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Chance - 1%. I don't know a lot about the series, but what I do know doesn't make the greatest case. It's an indie game (i think), which by itself is a serious blow to it's chances. The series doesn't seem that big, and it's mostly been on Playstation. I was going to give her a 0%, but then I realized I was more or less describing Joker so i guess it's not impossible. still don't think it's likely though.

Want: Abstain. I've never played a Neptunia game. The premise does sound really neat, though. And back during the stage contest, TheMarioaddict TheMarioaddict made a really neat stage based on the game.

Noms: Maxwell x10.

amageish

Smash Master
Abstaining today. I started the remake of the first Neptunia game once, which turned out to be a self-aware remake to the point where it was kind of a sequel? Which was very confusing... I would get a chuckle out of seeing "Gamindustri" on a stage selection screen, though I don't really have an opinion beyond that...

Noms: Monika Mii Costume x 5
Predictions: 20% for Bravely Reps

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Bravely Default character

Chance 10 - So while this is a series that both Nintnedo and SE have a reason to promote, am I the only one who just doesn't see this as possible? Feel like there's just way too much competition, and it would be pretty damn tough to break through against Geno, Sora, Lora Croft, another FF rep, and even other 2nd tiers like Neku and Chrono. Would someone from BD make Square more money than most of those? Feel like the obvious answer here is absolutely not for the first catagory and that just kinda feels like it'll do it in. On top of that I'm not sure why Nintendo would want to pick BD over some of those other characters

Want 0 - Eh, no. SE has so many interesting characters that this would just feel deflating. There's just so many I'd rather get first that it'll be like Smash 11 before I think I'm ready to see this series have a playable rep, which really speaks to both how good SEs IPs are and just how uninterested I am in seeing the series in Smash in general. I've also never really touched the series but overall it doesn't seem like one I'd enjoy playing.

Predictions:
Arthur - 6.67

Noms
TRex Runner x10

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Bravely Default Rep

Chance: 10% -
This series has done decently well for itself and Nintendo has always taken initiative in advertising the new games in the series. Bravely Default 2 even got its' own big segment in the recent partner showcase and was a relatively anticipated announcement. So there is some fan demand and Nintendo interest there. As far as we can tell, Square Enix costumes only come with Square Enix characters (though this is just an observation and not a concrete rule), and a raising tide floats all boats, so Bravely Default inevitably benefits. The main issue is both competition within Square Enix (which Nintendo may try to tap instead, and have characters with way more widespread acclaim or fan demand) or the fact that, since this is specifically for the first game, that a Bravely Default 2 rep instead could be chosen to advertise it. It's in a better spot than most series but it still has an uphill battle.

Want: 10% - Not really too interested in the genre, franchise, and what it has to offer. So with so few slots left this wouldn't really be a choice I could get behind. Furthermore, there's inter-company competition, and Square Enix has franchises with more interesting themes, locales, and designs that I think would make for a better challenger pack. Sora and Gex easily come to mind, and Tomb Raider could easily make for a fun pack as well if they decide to stick to Lara's cooler classic content with her magic artifacts. Bravely Default would be a third Square Enix traditional JRPG character, so while they certainly have earned the spot, I really don't think the choice would be very impactful or interesting.

Nominations:
Don-chan x5
4x Strategy Rep x5

Predictions:
Arthur - 5.93%

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
coup de gravy? no? ok

chances: hmm i dunno maybe 20%. as far as i can tell there's no real pattern with dlc 3rd party characters going for the extremely popular to the niche in a heartbeat. while i can believe nintendo would suggest looking to bravely default for a character i can aslo believe there are other SE characters they might suggest as well. i have no idea who they might go for but a tiny part of me thinks neku not sure why. also bravely default doesnt have a lot of fan demand behind it, not that it impaired terry other characters, although the SE character that does have the most demand i would count on either. over all i can believe it can happen but i just others are more likely to happen.

want: 80% i love the first two games a would be very happy with any of the 6 main characters from them. and with the various jobs across both games the moveset potential is great and could lead to a great moveset. im not sure how id feel about the main characters from the new not being to get to know them that well, what is it a sailor, a princess, a mercenary and a guy whos accent really bugs me. so its hard to say i could get excited for any of them. but any of the others, be it tiz or yew, i would be very hyped to see in smash. more so than several other SE characters. you know who you are geno.

nominate chibi-robo x5 and qbby x5

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Courageosly standard
Chance: 15%
The series seems to be in a pretty good spot with BD2 releasing soon. Nintendo seems to want to draw quite some attention to it with the game having a big presence at the recent partner presentation and it being first revealed at TGA last year. The game just seems ripe to be the advertisement pick. I know there's some competition when it comes to Square but I'd honestly say a BD rep is likelier than quite a few of the examples people bring up. It could easily be spirited like Mana and Octopath sure, but I wouldn't be suprised if it did get a fighter.

Want: Abstaining

Arthur: 5.82%
The Knight x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Concept: Bravely Default Character

Bravely Default certainly does have a lot of things going for it when it comes to getting into Smash. The series has received critical acclaim and even has an exclusive Switch game coming next year. The way Nintendo has been promoting Bravely Default 2 also makes me think that they're hyping it up to be one of the Switch highlights of 2021. If one of the FP2 characters is indeed a promotional character for a new upcoming game, I think a Bravely rep could be one of the frontrunners in that category along with a BotW Zelda character. However just because you have a new game coming up doesn't mean you're guaranteed a slot. Travis was a stark reminder of this which gives me slight doubts on this actually happening. There is also a lot of competition when it comes to an additional Square Enix character such as Sora, Geno, Neku, etc. So while a Bravely character has a lot of merits to be a character, I think they are also equally as likely to be costume'd or spirit'd like some of the other past SE games like Trials of Mana and Octopath Traveler.

Want: Abstain
I have not played any of the games in the series yet so I will abstain. I will say though that the games look really good and I'd probably take a Bravely Default character over some of the other talked about SE possibilities. Also I really like the soundtrack so I'd be down for a Bravely rep happening for the music alone.

-----

Arthur chance prediction: 2.92%

Nominations:
Concept: Fortnite Character x65
(10 noms for the day + the 50 from the tournament + the extra 5 from today's calcs)

Oh yeah: it's Fortnite time.

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Bravely Default Rep

Chance: 10%. There are a lot of Square Enid reps to choose from, and while we got 2 already, the chance of a Bravely Default Rep is quite slim. Plus there is a few more fighters that are more likely to show up. With that said, it would not be impossible.

Want: 50%. I don’t know too much about that Franchise, and there are multiple fighter’s to choose from. With that said, those fighters that would be chosen would be fun to play as. Overall, a fighter from that franchise would be a decent Smash Bros Rep.

Prediction: Arthur (10%)

Noms: 5 for Giygas

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Brave by default

Sari Sari Took the words out of my mouth. The first Bravely Default game did very well critically and sales wise. It is a Nintendo-centric series and the second game has been getting a lot of attention. But Travis is a reminder that no one is safe and we could easily see a spirit event or Mii costume instead. And I don't think I need to remind people that Square is loaded with potential candidates. I do think the series has what it takes to get a rep, but Nintendo would have to see something major in this series for it to get a character if Travis and Paper Mario couldn't get in.

I have not tried out this series yet. It doesn't seem to be my thing, but once again I will abstain because as I've learned from 2B, don't knock til' you try.

Prediction: Arthur - 7% (I will most certainly deliver a write up worthy of a knife-throwing knight)

Noms: Vectorman x10

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Initial Valour

Chance: 20%. Honestly, right now I do not think we're getting another Square-Enix character, mostly because they're super expensive. But also because they got Spirit events tied to nothing, and to me that's a sign that the company is done with playable representation. In addition, they have heavy competition from the survivors. Even though I think Geno is getting costumed, if he isn't that's a big hurdle to overcome alone; Lara Croft, 2B, Neku, Sora, even as a joke Gex all get just as much, if not more requests than anybody from Bravely. As an RPG character, it competes with even more, like Lloyd, or the Monster Hunters, or Adol, whom either have more fan demand or anything resembling a rumor.

Agnès was the one that people rallied around, no? Is there any reason to expect, that if we do get a BD rep, it is not her short of it being from Bravely Second or Bravely Default 2? (Why are those two different games?)

Want: I would normally abstain here... but, I do believe I tried the Bravely Default demo ages ago on 3DS. (There was one, right?) And it was... neat! But it never really hooked me. With the lack of demand for a BD rep, I can't really say I'd be happy, so 20%.

Frisk and Red x 5. Don't worry, my fellow Puyo poppers and Grove Street OG's, I'll be back to them once Frisk and Red make it to the schedule. Red if I flubbed the requirements for 10 noms. Arthur would be cool but sadly he is swimming in competition, stacked competition, and in 2020 Ghosts n Goblins has been dead for a decade. 6.66%.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Classic FF 2: Bravely Default

This series has received moderate success, and is pretty Nintendo-centered to boot. With some of SE's biggest JRPGs already in I could see the way for Bravely to pave in, in some manner. Nonetheless... they've got pretty hefty competition in SE alone, even with the aforementioned characters already in. There's Geno, Lara Croft, Neku, even Crono as a classic character, it's just lots of stuff. Plus there's the matter of whether or not SE will go for another character, I think it's possible; They're clearly still invested into Smash as they've released two new spirit events. If they were to get a character, yeah, it's possible it could be someone from Bravely, especially if Nintendo is making the selection since the series is really close to them and pretty well-promoted. Still, it's not a guarantee, as with anything.

I like the music, I tried the demo of the first game on 3DS long ago, but admittedly I don't remember it much. I've yet to fully play a game so I don't have much of an opinion on it beyond the gameplay style (which is nice) and the music (which is very cool).

Nominations: Worms x10
Arthur prediction: 5%. Sad since it's a classic series but he's got lots of competition with Capcom alone.

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
Bravely default has like a 0.5% chance of getting in. It's not going to happen

If it got in, I wouldn't buy it. I don't want it at all.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
There's a character called "Braev Lee" in these games, and in his battle he uses the "Default" command a lot

Chance: 40%

Bravely Default as a series has been heavily pushed since its inception - or rather, since the first game in the series (itself actually an updated rerelease of the actual original one that only came out in Japan. . .) was published by Nintendo in the West. Since then, Second was, I believe, pushed in a similar way, which culminates with Bravely Default 2, which was the headliner for the last Nintendo Direct Partner Showcase. So, out of any Square Enix series not yet in Smash, the Bravely games are arguably the ones most connected to Nintendo, which could severely help the chances for a character. Additionally, what can also help is that (I think) Sakurai has expressed interest in having a Smash character that changes jobs as part of their moveset, which are a central component in every Bravely game. This all said however, Bravely Default as a series is, as of right now, nowhere near as big as some other Square Enix properties and characters that could make it in. Still, as a whole, I feel their chances are largely slept on.

Want: 85%
A Bravely Default character is one of the very few third-party characters that I actually want at this point. I've played and loved both the original, Second, and the demo for two, and greatly enjoyed every single one of them (though I'm still rather iffy about 2 being a Final Fantasy-type new entry rather than a sequel to Second). While my preferred character to represent the games would be Edea or Ringabel, I also wouldn't mind seeing Tiz, Agnés, Magnolia, Yew, or any of the characters from 2. Or, hell, even a Hero or Bowser Jr. style situation would be fine by me. A Bravely Default character would bring amazing music, a fun gameplay concept, and just all around fun personalities with them, and I'd be there for it.

Now, with my rating done. . . this is going to be my departure from this thread. Smash speculation as a whole has gotten somewhat boring to me, and this thread currently is the only one that I really regular check in on anymore. And even with this, while the whole RTC game can be fun at times, I haven't really found it too interesting for a while now. I'm not ruling out the possibility that I'll come back here in the future, but for now, this is it. Have fun, everyone!

. . .Though I gotta adress this, I guess.
Agnès was the one that people rallied around, no? Is there any reason to expect, that if we do get a BD rep, it is not her short of it being from Bravely Second or Bravely Default 2? (Why are those two different games?)
Not really. The only reason people brought up Agnés a bit is because she is, to some extent, the protagonist for the first game. However, she's hardly the most popular character, and a reasonable argument could be made for the other three playable characters of the original - Tiz, Edea and Ringabel - being the actual protagonist. For what it's worth however, Agnés is not playable in Second, with only Tiz and Edea returning as playable characters there. With regards to popularity, Edea is probably the most popular character in the series, and has also been used a mascot by official media, so I personally would imagine that she has better chances if we do get a BD character.
As for Second vs 2: Haven't really played Final Fantasy myself, but I think the best comparison here would be Final Fantasy X-2 and Final Fantasy XI. As in, one is a direct follow-up to the original game, whereas the other one is a thematic sequel of sorts.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Bravely they are standing, defaulting to combat... Man, I'm really bad at making those.

Chances: 15%

When Agnès last got rated, I gave her a 20% chance, despite how she would be a Bravely Default rep. So yeah, I don't think that a BD rep is as likely, though I will say that my rating for Agnès was overall for a BD rep and I simply believed her to be the most ilkely, but now, I think that it would most likely be Tiz with Agnès slightly behind her, and someone from BD2 behind Agnès due to how BD2 just got it's demo out, and since it's a third party game it would likely not be like with BotW Link or Byleth, where Sakurai played early versions of the games to get a feel of them before putting them in Smash. Beyond that, well, Nintendo and SE alike push the series, with it even being the headliner for the last Partner Showcase we got, and while it's not nearly as much as what MH got, it's also much smaller, meaning that Nintendo seem to have a soft spot for it. However, BD is from SE, and well, this means that they got competition with Lara Croft, 2B, Neku, Geno, and arguably Sora, meaning that the rating goes down since SE does have many very viable picks for their next character in Smash, and I think that most of them have similar chances to get in (in the 10 to 20% range, execpt for Geno who I find unlikely to get in).

Want: 85%

Bravely Default is a great game, and so is Bravely Second. I haven't played the demo of BD2 yet, but yeah, it's good, no need for me to try it to know that. Furthermore, I know a bunch of cool people who want either Tiz or Agnès in Smash, which would make them happy, and that would be very nice for them. And also, the music. The music in BD is so good, like, I think the music in BD is on par with the KH soundtrack, both are just so amazing. and of course, a BD rep could have a very fun moveset with the job changing mechanic of BD and also all of the old FF magic it also has. Just play the games if you can, you won't regret it, they're great.

Predictions

Arthur: 3.2%

Nominations

Cynthia x10

jamesster445

Smash Lord
The underrated Square series

Chance: 50%
Want: 50%

So there are 3 Nintendo exclusive Bravely games (not counting Octopath), And not one of them is represented in Smash yet. So I dont want to underestimate Bravely's chances. However I'm pretty neutral on the series or its potential inclusion.

Nominations: Zagreus mii costume x5

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
Someone took the Mrgrgr joke...
MRGRGR ANYWAY!
but I'm not abstaining.

Chance: 7%
It's a second party (Nintendo Exclusive) Square Enix series that had a spinoff (I think) and a sequel on the way. Bravely Second and Bravely Default 2 is just confusing marketing tbh. What's next? Bravely Second 2 as a sequel to BD2? Or will it be Bravely Third? The best case for a character is the fact that the series is its Nintendo exclusive and decent popularity. The case against it is strong third party competition and perhaps bad timing of Bravely Default 2. Though with Cloud and Hero out of the way as the 'mascots' of Square and Enix respectively, competition for another SE character is much easier but still tough. When comparing all third party characters chance, the chance of a playable Bravely Default character with the special moveset treatment and a stage falls off.

Want: 55%
I like the idea but I don't want it to take a spot away from other potential picks. A possible cool moveset I can think of would be the ability to change your job in the middle of a match. Possibly like custom moves from Smash 4 but the ability to switch between them in combat or after taking a stock. I think that could make a fun character.

Noms: Scorpion x10
Predict: 4%

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Bravely Default Character

Chance: 18%. It's a critically and financially successful franchise, at least relative to its budget. It's born and raised on Nintendo platforms, helped by Nintendo themselves along the way. It has a known future with an upcoming game, recently delayed in the final Partner Showcase of 2020. Sakurai did list other characters with job-switching mechanics when discussing non-Cloud Final Fantasy reps, which does suggest he has thought of that mechanic before. These are good things to be! Yay!

Problem is the obvious problem. Did you know Square Enix owns a lot of things? As they sure do own a lot of things! They've got SaGa, The World Ends With You, Chrono Trigger, Mana, Tomb Raider, Gex I guess, part of Kingdom Hearts, more Final Fantasy, and, of course, everyone's favourite cult classic game with a vocal fanbase requesting it be represented in Smash Bros: Jesus. There are a lot of options for a Smash rep and that assumes that they're getting another rep, which isn't necessarily a safe prediction either.

Want: 90%. I really like Bravely as a franchise! It's a good JRPG with a classic feel and some fun unique mechanics. It has a fantastic musical score and likeable characters. Edea laughing her way through a job-switching mechanic could be really unique and a good way to represent a side of JRPGs not currently present in Smash. Lots of good things!

Noms: I guess 40 x Monika Mii Costume and 20 x Concept: Fortnite Character salutes Sari
Predictions: 2% for Arthur

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Calamitas Calamitas It's sad to see you go, but I'm glad that you enjoyed your time here enough to stick around. See you around!

and, of course, everyone's favourite cult classic game with a vocal fanbase requesting it be represented in Smash Bros: Jesus.
Fun fact: I played this game (full name: Jesus - Dreadful Bio-Monster) just because of its stupid name. It was pretty alright!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well it's been 6 hours and I'm still forced to double post. I really expected more talk out of this franchise.
(Please don't end the day yet, I haven't done noms)

Sakura Shinguji
12.33% Chance - 40.59% Want
Winner of predictions was Sari Sari with 12.80%
To no one's surprise, Sakura's was a very polarized day for both chance and want.

Zelda
16.55% Chance - 30.19% Want
Winner of predictions was DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 with a precise 17.00%

The Stretchers
0.03% Chance - 18.15% Want
Winner of predictions was Inue Houji Inue Houji by virtue of being the lowest prediction, with a 0.05%. Since it's less than .05% away, you earn 10 extra noms!
The Stretchers had only a single chance rating that wasn't 0 (it was a 0.5%, and... it was me). While I might have saved them from a perfect 0% chance score, they still earned the dubious honor of being the third least likely character overall.

Amiya
0.72% Chance - 18.85% Want
Winner of predictions was waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi with a near-exact 0.70%. You also won 10 extra noms.

Hades
2.46% Chance - 64.53% Want
Winner of predictions was Inue Houji Inue Houji with 1.50%. Once again, lowballing everyone's predictions else proved to be fruitful.

Mii Costume: Jill Stingray
7.50% Chance - 69.38% Want
Winners of predictions were DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 with 7.00% and Blankiturayman Blankiturayman with 8.00%. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
Jill has the lowest chance of the three Mii Costumes we've rated, however she also had the highest want. Both of those accolades had been previously held by Quote.

Neptune
1.60% Chance - 21.60% Want
Winner of predictions was Jomosensual Jomosensual by virtue of being the lowest prediction, with 1.24%

Also, amageish amageish , Mr. MR Mr. MR , Sari Sari and TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom won 50 extra noms each by partaking in the RTC Smash Tournament. You can join the Discord to stay up to date with more community events like these, or just to hang out and chat. (I'll edit a link here when I find it) Edit: doink

Extra noms

3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus 5
amageish amageish 60
Artix Artix 15
Awakining Awakining 5
Blankiturayman Blankiturayman 15
DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5 10
DaUsername DaUsername 97
Delzethin Delzethin 5
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 55
Icedragonadam Icedragonadam 5
Inue Houji Inue Houji 20
Jomosensual Jomosensual 5
Mr. MR Mr. MR 55
NintenRob NintenRob 55
Nemuresu Nemuresu 10
Ninjaed Ninjaed 20
Perkilator Perkilator 5
Sari Sari 55
SKX31 SKX31 5
TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom 50
Troykv Troykv 15
waddledeeonredyoshi waddledeeonredyoshi 49
WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever 10
Wunderwaft Wunderwaft 5

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Fun fact: I played this game (full name: Jesus - Dreadful Bio-Monster) just because of its stupid name. It was pretty alright!
This is a very understandable reason to play the game and I respect the dedication. Glad it was alright!

Mii costume Jill Stingray got a higher want score than Mii costume Quote? Never would have thought that.
It's probably just that more people abstained for Jill, so she was mostly being rated by people with neutral-to-positive feelings about her? Don't Quote me on that though, I haven't checked.

I am going to take it as validation of the time spent nominating her though.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Bravely Default rep

Chance - 10% - Another critically acclaimed RPG by Square Enix? Those feel like a dime a dozen. While the games are being pushed by Nintendo as a whole with one game getting a new release, Square as a whole is a very competitive company that has many good picks for a variety of reasons. While I can see them promoting Bravery Default, overall the competition prevents me from giving them a very good score. Add on top of that having yet another RPG as DLC, and I can see Sakurai trying to branch out.

Want - 60% - Eh, not an RPG fan, so I don't care much. I'll take one over many of the third parties, though, which is enough in my eyes to go above 50%.

Nominations

Arle Nadja X5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Impa (Age of Calamity) x200
Alex Mason x190
Concept: Coco as Crash's Echo/Costume x190
[Rerate] Frisk x160
Concept: A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief x155
[Rerate] Chibi-Robo x140
Red (Angry Birds) x135
Miriam x135
[Rerate] Maxwell x135

150 - 101

Hajime Hinata x120
[Rerate] The Knight x120
D.Va x115
Concept: Second F-Zero rep x104

100 - 51

Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) x100
Zero (Mega Man) x95
Mii Costume: Alex Kidd x93
Boss: Ender Dragon x93
[Rerate] Arle Nadja x90
Don-chan x90
Cynthia (Pokémon) x90
Concept: Fortnite character x90
Riptor x85
Stage: Bowser's Castle x81
Concept: Darksiders rep x80
Sackboy x80
Fulgore x79
Concept: More ATs as one new item x75
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x75
Concept: Rocket League rep x75
Boss: Rayquaza x75
[Rerate] Concept: Boss Rush x70
Giygas x65
Carl Johnson x65
Concept: The remaining SSB4 DLC Mii Costumes return (or get the deluxe treatment) x60
Echo (Olimar) x56
Concept: SNES-era Final Fantasy rep x55
Gooigi x55
Vi (Bug Fables) x55
[Rerate] Monokuma x55
Echo: Zeraora (Lucario) x55
[Rerate] Jin Kazama x55
Magolor x55
John Marston x55
Jin Sakai x55
Ghirahim x55
T-Rex Runner x55

50 - 25

Crazy Dave x50
[Rerate] Concept: New Zelda character x30
Qbby x30
Worms x30
Tetra x25
Ryza (Atelier) x25
Echo (Bowser) x25
Mii Costume: Monika x25

Under 25

Concept: A 4X strategy rep x20
Yarn Yoshi x15
Concept: A Challenger Pack with 2 Fighters x15
Billy & Jimmy Lee x15
[Rerate] Reimu Hakurei x15
Beat (Jet Set Radio) x15
Vectorman x15
Tetris x10
Concept: Rocket League content x5
[Rerate] Thrall x5
Stage: Tetris x5
[Rerate] Agumon x5
[Rerate] Lara Croft x5
Stage: Tetris 99 x5
[Rerate] Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x5
Concept: Raizing shmup rep x5

Coco as Crash's Echo/Costume ties with Alex Mason for second place. Frisk evades A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief and is now in fourth place. Chibi-Robo emerges from the three-way brawl and plugs into sixth place, but this only raises the stakes, as Red, Miriam, and new contender Maxwell fight it out for the last spot in the top seven.

T-Rex Runner runs past 50 noms.

Mii Costume: Monika and Worms inch past 25 noms.

This is a very understandable reason to play the game and I respect the dedication. Glad it was alright!

It's probably just that more people abstained for Jill, so she was mostly being rated by people with neutral-to-positive feelings about her? Don't Quote me on that though, I haven't checked.

I am going to take it as validation of the time spent nominating her though.
Can confirm that Jill's day didn't see a lot of ratings, but hey, a score is a score and a win is a win.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Final Fantasy, with an asterisk

Bravely Default is the series that kept fans assured that Square Enix could make great turn-based RPGs when their big series weren't delivering. Even now, with FF7R modernizing the combat system, FF16 looking very promising, and DQ11 delivering in a big scale, Bravely Default is not to be ignored. It consists of two very acclaimed titles on the 3DS, with a very-ugly-looking-but-surely-just-as-good sequel coming soon for the Switch. Much like Dragon Quest and Shin Megami Tensei, this is another prestige franchise that Nintendo managed to get exclusivity to as PlayStation gets the big dogs like Final Fantasy and Persona. The alignment with Nintendo definitely helps the franchise, and its upcoming release makes it stand out from the competitiveness of Square Enix.

However, if you compare this score with Agnes' not too long ago, you'll notice that it's lower. That's due to a combination of factors. The reveal of Steve as a fighter and Travis as a Mii really upended my expectations for this pass. When I was looking at smaller, Nintendo-accessible third parties and dismissing big franchises, then, yeah, that kinda didn't happen. Plus, like Bravely Default, No More Heroes seemed like a safe bet, being a high profile Switch exclusive with tons of buzz. Yet that only merited a Mii Costume, and with sister series and fellow breakout title Octopath Traveler getting just a Spirit Event, one has to wonder if that's Bravely Default's future.

Want: 90%
I have yet to play a Bravely game, but they sound right up my alley and I adored Octopath. As far as I'm concerned, they're Final Fantasy 11-13. A moveset revolving around jobs also seems like the fun kind of gimmicky (and I certainly can't think of any other character I want that could take that).

Noms: Scorpion x10
Arthur prediction: 9.06%

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Will post my ratings later but just doing a PSA.

Vote. I am not going to make this partisan, those that know me can guess which way I lean and who I support, but this is an important election, please vote if you are in the US. I don't care if I disagree with you politically, vote. We all know what happens when not enough people vote.:ultbayonetta:

D

Deleted member

Bravely Default

Chance: 10%
It's definitely on the table, but this is assuming we get another Square character & that the pick is from Bravely. I could definitely see a Square rep happening considering the Chocobo and Geno costumes are MIA for the time being, but they could easily show up in the next few challenger packs. Bravely faces competition from the likes of Geno, 2B, Chrono, Neku, and Lara in that regard, and considering Octopath only got a Spirit Event & Bravely isn't exactly an RPG darling up there with the likes of FF or DQ, I don't think it's that likely. Other characters/series have upcoming Switch exclusives on top of being more well known like Monster Hunter or SMT, so I can't justify giving Bravely more than 10%.

Want: Abstain. Have yet to play the demo for BD2.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Sorry for the late rating, I passed out watching the electoral results. Staying up the whole time was rough.

Brave enough?
5% chance

Square is a weird one. Even putting aside say, Sora, since it is a gray area, the competition is fierce. I am of the strong belief Neku is a dark horse. Geno is a potential frontrunner depending on who you ask. 2B and Sephiroth also are decent competition. So, what does Bravely have? Well, shilling and a very strong Nintendo connection. Is that enough? Not in my eyes.

Abstain want

The bravely games are on my backburner. I have not taken the time to play them. Too much other stuff is on the backburner. Maybe at some point I will play them. For now, it would not be fair to rate them.

Concept: League of Legends Character x 60

Day over, Rate Arthur from Ghosts and Goblins, Predict Adol from Ys.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
abstain, only really know him from mvc3. nom chibi x5

Even putting aside say, Sora, since it is a gray area, the competition is fierce.
not really, he's owned by disney thats it. the grey areas are pure speculation that could be added to any character

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
How to beat Ghosts n’ Goblins:

1. Get the knife
2. Get the knife
3. Get the knife

Chance: 5%

The first Ghosts n’ Goblins (I will be shortening this to G n’ G) game came out in the arcades in 1985 and soon after was ported to home consoles, including the NES. G n’ G on the NES is an iconic game with it often being considered a good, but infamously hard game with it being a shining example of the difficulty of NES games and games of that time period in general. The game was a major success and spawned several sequels and spinoffs, some of which were on Nintendo systems. Super Ghouls and Ghosts in particular was also successful, to the point where it got a remake on the GBA. The first three Ghosts n’ Goblins games have been rereleased many times, with Ghosts n’ Goblins and Super Ghouls n’ Ghosts in particular being released on compilations, Nintendo’s virtual consoles, the Switch’s online service, and on the NES and SNES classic consoles respectively.

Arthur himself has appeared in many crossovers, including MvC, Project X Zone, and fun fact: You can obtain his full armor in Dead Rising 2 and Monster Hunter Generations. As for the moveset, Arthur has a dagger, lance, torch, axe, shield (which he throws), crossbow, boomerang, and Goddess’ Bracelet, which releases a powerful energy blast. Arthur can also upgrade his armor to bronze and gold, which upgrades his weapons to make them more powerful. As for a stage, graveyards are typical for the series and it provides the opportunity for enemies to rwise from their graves! and act as stage hazards. There are plenty of characters and enemies for a spirit board and the series has the iconic Stage 1 theme which has been remixed many times, plus other good tracks.

So here are the positives: Iconic series that has a legacy in gaming and the Nintendo department with it being a staple of the NES and SNES, Arthur has good moveset potential, and it’s evident that both Nintendo and Capcom still care about the series…...at least to a degree.

And that is a good segway into explaining why this score is so low despite all the praise I just gave to the series. Oh boy where do I start? Well first off, the series dropped off in popularity after Super Ghouls and Ghosts. The next game was on the WonderSwan for some reason, and that system was released only in Japan so not as many people got to play that one. Since then, the series has remained on portable systems and devices until the Gold Knights games in 2010. Now, those games have been removed from the Apple Store and we haven’t gotten any new games since then. As of now, there are no indications that a new game is coming and the brand is only kept alive by rereleases and crossovers. When you combine that with little Smash demand and competition against the 3 Capcom juggernauts (Phoenix, Dante, and Monster Hunter), those aren’t good odds. Sakurai might be interested in Ghosts n’ Goblins, but I can’t see Nintendo going for Arthur despite his series’ legacy.

But what really is the fatal blow to Arthur’s chances is former Capcom Producer Funamizu’s comment regarding the minor hiatus after Super Ghouls n’ Ghosts. This is taken directly from Wikipedia: “...the Ghosts n’ Goblins games take a long time to develop and were not popular in Japan. As a result, Capcom had taken a net loss on previous installments and were wary of producing a new entry.” This explains why all the following games were so “low-key ”. Granted, this comment was from the 90s, but the evidence shows that Capcom isn’t very confident in the series and honestly I see even other lower tier Capcom characters like Amaterasu as more likely.

I think Arthur’s best chances will lay in the possibility of a third fighters pass and if the series suddenly gets a strong revival, both of which are not likely and it’s a shame because it’s going to take more than just legacy for this knight to have a realistic shot at making it to playability status.

Want: 70%

Arthur is not a top priority for me when it comes to Capcom characters (In fact, he is #5). But I would still be happy if he got in. Ghosts n’ Goblins is a classic, and Super Ghouls n’ Ghosts is one of my favorite SNES games. I really want that Stage 1 music in Smash and I’m always up for another dark, atmospheric stage.

Prediction: Adol - 10%

Noms: Vectorman x20

Last edited:
Top Bottom