• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
This is a difficult topic to rate, and I knew it would be when I nominated it. But I thought it would be good topic to bring attention to some problems with diversity in the game's industry. I think the most likely character for this is Elma, although for spoiler reasons, she doesn't exactly count. Then you have Doc Louis and Twintelle, now of them are exactly likely. Especially as DLC. I suppose there's Urbosa, but I do struggle to see a single champion getting in. It's also difficult to give a want score for this, because while I wish for more diversity in the industry, as it is now, I don't particularly want many of there characters in Smash, although I admit Urbosa and Doc would be cool, Urbosa is my favourite champion and I'm looking forward to playing her in Hyrule Warrior.

Chance 8%
Want 30%

Nominate content from currently unreleased game x5

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I'm abstaining for today. This is a broad concept to rate. I'll just say that I imagine Nintendo goes for the characters themselves. I'd be alright with this though, don't see why not, and some of the possible characters that I've seen mentioned (Sol, Shantae to name a couple) would be pretty neat and I'd like them.

Nominations: Zero (Mega Man) x5
Predictions: Tidus 7%

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly I'm disappointed that so many people are saying Japan's a very homogenous country when the reality is that just like here in the west, white skin is seen as 'pure' and people with darker skin don't get to be represented very well due to heavy discrimination. This is the best example I can think of after having just woken up.
View attachment 286197
Tobei Tachibana is the most iconic mentor character in the Kamen Rider series and as you can see, the woman's face is partially exposed, showing that his skin is quite a bit darker as Tackle's wearing leggings. This shouldn't change scores but I feel people should know that Japan isn't homogenous but also has racism issues. People just assume Japan's completely apolitical because of trashy anime and their own lack of reading comprehension
I never said Japan was apolitical, I just said that Japan is predominantly Japanese, since about 97.8% of the population is ethnically Japanese. While Japan does have some issues with that, it's not something they focus on as much as the West.

That being said, I didn't realize and take into account the other Japanese ethnic groups beyond the mainland Yamato Japanese, so I'll admit, that's on me. Some areas, such as the Ryukyu Islands, have people with darker skin tones than what's considered "usual" (High emphasis on the quotation marks, because there isn't really a "usual"), which is why you see some people with darker skin tones. The thing is, again, it's not something that's emphasized as much as with Western countries. That's why the majority of character you see have fair skin, since I suppose that's their image of an "ideal" or "ethnically neutral" person.

On a side note, I find it awkward to use the term "racism" when the idea of "race" seems to be "Which country are you from," with the categories given being White/European, Black/African, Asian, Native American, and Pacific Islander, at least where I'm from. Besides the fact that the ethnicities and cultures here are very broad (Are you really going to say Japanese ethnic traits are similar to that of an Indian?), we're not even "races" anyways, we're all Homo Sapiens here. It's just an odd and clunky term to me.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Can this character say the all powerful forbidden word?

Chance: 1%

This is too much of a broad concept for me to really see. Could a character like say, an african american character, be in Smash? I guess so, but that's never have been a reason for Sakurai to choose a character, and the only people that seem to have this mindset are Twitter people who care FAR too much about a fictional character's sexuality or rather irrelevant stuff like that in an action show. Sakurai's reasoning for choosing a character is because of the popularity of a character, the moveset potential, the importance this character has, if it's relevant, etc, etc, ect. He NEVER has asked himself "hmmm, now which black character i should add?" This isn't current Marvel Comics we are talking about, this is Smash Brothers, a game that is developed in Japan, and they don't really care about American or other Western Political Correctness stuff like this. I mean yeah they will remove stuff like guns and so on, but they usually do not create characters for the sake of having a person of color.

There's also another problem once you compare Smash to other Fighting games. Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, KoF and Tekken are all games that take place on Earth. Yes, an exaggerated version of earth, but it's still earth, and most of these games use real life cultures and martial arts as inspirations for their characters, so there's an argument there to add characters from other countries and regions and use them as basis as characters. Smash..............does not do that, a lot of the characters in this franchise are not even real or could not be real. This is a game where an Orage Dragon fights a Pink Puffball of destrucion, and you care about having a dark-skinned character on the game? Come on.

And lastly, as wrong as this sounds...........i can't come up with a Black/Brown/Dark Skinned Character that screams "YES, let's Put them in SMASH!". Yes there are characters that could be fun to play as, but they aren't particulary requested in the Smash Sphere nor even that popular in their franchise where they would get over other characters. Adam Hunter is a fun Streets of Rage, but there's no real reason he would get over the series's poster boy, Axel Stone or even Blaze Fielding. Heavy D has only appeared in only two KOF games and one of the was not even canon, and he is usally portrayed as a weakling who gets his invitations to KOF stolen, Urbosa doesn't really stand out compared to any other champion, and her popularity doesn't really stand out compared to other Zelda characters that have been requested in Smash for far longer like Skull Kid or even Impa. and so on and so forth.

Could a character like this happen? Sure, but it will happen because the character has merit and is popular, not to fill some quota that only the Twitter Crowd would care.

The only character that i could see being likely was Twintelle and...........yeah Min Min happened.

Want: 1%

I.......don't think this is in my far priority list. I mean i can name some characters i really love. Skate Hunter is my favorite Streets of Rage character and was super upset about him not getting a return in the 4th game (outside of the retro mode) but Axel comes first, Lucky Glauber is my favorite KOF character in general, but he ain't getting over Iori and Kyo, and im okay with that. There's also Doc Louis from Punch Out, but why would you add him over Glass Joe, Bald Bull or even Mr. Sandman? (who is also a person of color i might add) I like those characters not because because they are black, but because of interesing moves and backstory and personalities they have. Adding them just because "MUH REPRESENTATION OF NON-WHITE PEOPLE" is such a reductive statement that removes a lot of the merits these characters have.

Honestly this whole idea of rating them just because of this really specific aspect comes across as kind of demeaning, as if these characters could only get in just because there are not enough black people on the roster, which i find absurd. I mean an African American is far, far different from someone who lives in Africa, or in Haiti, or Colombia, and so on and so forth. When i see Richter and Peach, i don't see "oh those 2 are white people", i see a Vampire Hunter who wields a whip, and a Princess from a Fantasy Land.

Yes, i know some people will go "YOU PRIVILEGED AS;DNSANDLKSADLSADKLSAJDJ" but i stand by this. I main Simon Belmont, and yes im white and male just like him.................and that's where the similarities end. I am a Chilean dude with Asperger syndrome that works in a warehouse and is kinda fat, while Simon is a Hungarian Vampire Hunter who is super muscular and uses holy weapons. There are far more differences than similitudes here, and the only people that would see us as the same person are probably having serious issues. The other characters i play are a Walking-on-two-legs Bear, a ****ing clone abomination, a Robot, and so on.

Yes, diversity is important, but there's more about diversity than "MUH BLACK PEOLE", "MUH FEMALES", "MUH LGBTMNT", and Smash should care about the different genres of gaming, the different demographics certain games have (compare Puyo Puyo's audience to Crash Bandicoot's for example) the moveset and abilities they have, the regions in which are more popular (Doomguy in America, Rex in Japan, Layton in Europe) etc.

Like, if you had 2 Fire Emblem characters, with one that fought like Marth but was Black and female, and the other was a White Male who can use Axes and Crossbows and Bombs and Magic, i would undeniably prefer the latter over the former. Diversity is not Skin Deep.

From personal experience, i am chilean as i said before, and our country has almost NEVER been acknowledged in media. You see Mexico this, Peru that, and maybe a little Argetina here and there. The only thing that people know about Chile is the Moai from Easter Island, and that's kinda like representing Disney with a Stormtrooper. I have never seen a Chilean character be a major character in a fictional story aside from Io de Scylla from Saint Seiya, and im okay with that.Would it be cool to see more of them? Sure, why not, but it's not something im really dying for. and neither im dying for this.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I never said Japan was apolitical, I just said that Japan is predominantly Japanese, since about 97.8% of the population is ethnically Japanese. While Japan does have some issues with that, it's not something they focus on as much as the West.

That being said, I didn't realize and take into account the other Japanese ethnic groups beyond the mainland Yamato Japanese, so I'll admit, that's on me. Some areas, such as the Ryukyu Islands, have people with darker skin tones than what's considered "usual" (High emphasis on the quotation marks, because there isn't really a "usual"), which is why you see some people with darker skin tones. The thing is, again, it's not something that's emphasized as much as with Western countries. That's why the majority of character you see have fair skin, since I suppose that's their image of an "ideal" or "ethnically neutral" person.

On a side note, I find it awkward to use the term "racism" when the idea of "race" seems to be "Which country are you from," with the categories given being White/European, Black/African, Asian, Native American, and Pacific Islander, at least where I'm from. Besides the fact that the ethnicities and cultures here are very broad (Are you really going to say Japanese ethnic traits are similar to that of an Indian?), we're not even "races" anyways, we're all Homo Sapiens here. It's just an odd and clunky term to me.
Oh I was referring to chuds who make up excuses like "Well, in Japan," to justify ****ty things followed by outright lies to make them spread a false narrative that Japan is apolitical and thinks pedophilia is alright with that comment. Also, maybe I wasn't clear enough when I initially commented on it, but I felt that the people falsely claiming Japan's homogenous weren't malicious, but rather ignorant as seen with their views on the matter of diversity. There's a significant difference

Race is tricky like that, look at the Belmonts, a lot of people would call them white but they're from Romania, a country whose people weren't considered white and suffered heavy discrimination to the point Americans describe Romani people with the G slur after hearing it from Europeans, unaware it's a slur to the point a Disney movie constantly uses said slur and how this site hasn't made the site's auto censor catch that word

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Oh I was referring to chuds who make up excuses like "Well, in Japan," to justify ****ty things followed by outright lies to make them spread a false narrative that Japan is apolitical and thinks pedophilia is alright with that comment. Also, maybe I wasn't clear enough when I initially commented on it, but I felt that the people falsely claiming Japan's homogenous weren't malicious, but rather ignorant as seen with their views on the matter of diversity. There's a significant difference

Race is tricky like that, look at the Belmonts, a lot of people would call them white but they're from Romania, a country whose people weren't considered white and suffered heavy discrimination to the point Americans describe Romani people with the G slur after hearing it from Europeans, unaware it's a slur to the point a Disney movie constantly uses said slur and how this site hasn't made the site's auto censor catch that word
Oof, people use that as a justification? That's... not good.

But yeah, I suppose it gets a little awkward when you only have basic knowledge. Kinda goes for everything really.

On a side note, I'd like to point out that Romanians and Romani/Roma are separate ethnic groups, though Romania does have a Romani minority. At the very least, in the show Trevor stated that his name was from a Romani family friend, which would imply that he himself is not Romani, though given how much time's between Trevor and Simon it wouldn't be surprising if the later Belmonts had some Romani in them.

EDIT: Apparently it was actually a Celt that Trevor got his name from. Still, Romanians and Romani are separate ethnic groups. Dunno why they have such similar names, but they do.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Alright then, time to actually rate this.

A non white/Asian human character

Chance: Abstain

I'll admit that after I pushed this concept so hard for so long, me abstaining is probably quite a bit of a cop-out. But the truth of the matter is, this kind of concept is just incredibly tough to rate. Nintendo, as well Sakurai and his team are obviously more concerned with what video games series to represent than they are with what the character is, so I feel that such a character would have to coincide with what games or series they would want to represent. And as I really don't think that I have a good enough overview of all potential characters this could apply to, to really make a good enough rating that accurately reflects my feeling on the chances of all these character collectively, I'll abstain.

Want: 80%
Representation matters, so I'm all for it. While this type of character wouldn't really represent me personally, I think the potential benefits of such a character are just all-around pretty great. Of course, in addition to this it would also need to be a character that I actually want, but I doubt that I'd have much of an issue there.

Predicting Tidus (or should I say, "mother****ing Tidus"?) to receive around 6.54%.

Nominating Concept: A Bravely Default character x10. (Assuming that my write-up fits the criteria for ten noms, of course. If not, then this is five. I'm still unclear on how this works, tbh.)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Non Caucasian or Asian human characters.

Chance : 2%

Now Twintelle is out with Min Min being the ARMS character of choice, the only halfway likely candidates are Elma and Impa, and the latter is only if they choose her Skward Sword iteration.

Street Fighter has lots of different nationality options such as my personal favourites Dhalsim and Dudley but the most likely one by far is Chun Li, who is asian.

Pokémon has plenty of trainer and gym leader options but it's the Pokémon who would get picked most likely over them.

Splatoon has Marina and the Octolings if they count, but I imagine the Octolings are going to be another case of multiple skin tones should they get in.

I just don't see it happening. There's not enough non asian/white leads in successful video game franchises where they're THE main character. Which is the point really.

Want: 65%
Representation matters but I'm stumped on who we could feasibly get.
I'd have been down for Twintelle, more so than Min Min even but alas it wasn't to be.
I like Elma a fair bit and I quite like Doc Louis even though I can see him being viewed as troublesome by people.

Impa is one of my most wanted, but like most people my favourite incarnation is her Hyrule Warriors one which whilst taking inspiration from her Skyward Sword incarnation, is white still. Still, there's a solid chance if she got in they'd pick Skyward to diversify like the rest of the Zelda cast and that'd be fine with me.

Pretty much all of my most wanteds apart from Impa are also non human(oid). Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, Bandana Waddle Dee, Meowth, Spyro, Crash, Tails etc so I'd be lying if I said this was something I thought about too much in regards to Smash.

Nominations:
Lu Bu x 5

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
theres a certain degree of irony of people using indian characters as examples of non asian characters

i mean we all knew what we meant by asian but still

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
theres a certain degree of irony of people using indian characters as examples of non asian characters

i mean we all knew what we meant by asian but still
I guess you got me there.

But I had to assume this concept literally meant Eastern Asians, in particular excluding Japanese human characters and maybe Chinese human characters due to Min Min's recent inclusion.

It would seem odd to me to exclude any Indian characters when discussing diversity if we currently don't have any on the roster.

Also I love Dhalsim and will take any excuse to mention him.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I guess you got me there.

But I had to assume this concept literally meant Eastern Asians, in particular excluding Japanese human characters and maybe Chinese human characters due to Min Min's recent inclusion.

It would seem odd to me to exclude any Indian characters when discussing diversity if we currently don't have any on the roster.

Also I love Dhalsim and will take any excuse to mention him.
well yeah we all knew what we meant by asian characters

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Ignore this, that was just an unfunny joke/meme that I didn't even like so idk why I posted it.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Microsoft just bought Bethesda. Whenever we get to that "Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief" day, that is going to look a lot different now than expected.
Say, should we update that a little? This kinda came out of nowhere, so some people might need to change things they planned on saying.
That's wild. Doomguy and Master Chief are now step brothers.
I was gonna go the "distant cousins" route, but that works too.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Gonna abstain on Tidus today since my knowledge of Final Fantasy is very slim. That said, as far as I know Tidus doesn't have much fan demand and has extremely difficult competition with both other Final Fantasy 7 characters and with other notable Final Fantasy protagonists as a whole, so I don't see Final Fantasy X being prioritized. Alongside that, even if he was a Final Fantasy frontrunner, he's Square Enix, one of the most competitive categories in Smash Speculation.

Furthermore, another point I'll mention is the matter of spirits, a point I also used against Sephiroth several weeks ago. Even if the pass wasn't advertised as such, every fighter is still coming with spirits. Check the DLC spirit board list, there's still five placeholder "Coming Soon" slots under Min Min. For Final Fantasy, the Smash team wasn't even able to get artwork for Cloud's own fighter spirit (it defaults to his Smash artwork and nothing else), how would they be able to get artwork for an entire Final Fantasy spirit board?

Nominations:
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x5

Predictions:
Nate Adams - 10% - Not expecting a lot of confidence due to Yo-kai Watch's fall from popularity, along with the current internal conflicts within Level-5.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Tidus

Chance: 0.1%
It's hard to see them double-dipping on Final Fantasy when there are a ton of other Square Enix franchises to choose from. Even if we were to get another FF rep, they'd probably either go with a more recent pick like Noctis, one of the pre-VII characters like Terra, or another FFVII character like Sephiroth because of the remake.

Want: Abstain
I haven't played FFX so I'll abstain.

Nate Adams chance prediction: 2.80% (if we're getting a Yo-Kai Watch rep it'll most likely be Jibanyan)

Nominations:
Zelda (BotW Universe) x5

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
turns out we'd been pronouncing it wrong for years

chances: hmm 40% i think his main problem is that other FF characters are more likely. i suppose theres no real way of knowing whod they go for next by my feeling is that tidus wouldnt be the next one. i dont think that itd be FF7 character just cause of the remake cause surely thats just the relevancy argument. ten has always been in a weird position as far as i can tell and im not sure it quite as well loved as 1 to 9 i love but im often an outlier when it comes to game opinions. so he may have to get in on his own merits alone as i think the fans may gravitate towards the others. i also think thatll the arguments that suggest therell be struggle to include more FF stuff is based on assumptions. we dont know why cloud has so little stuff the only reasons have been guesses from the fans, but after hero and those two spirit events maybe its time to put the idea of SE being stingy to bed.

want: 80% id actually kind of love this. mind you id be happy with any of the main characters from 1 to 10, 13 and 15. ten was the first FF game i played so i kind of have a soft spot for it. but id like to see what they could with tidus' abilities in smash, perhaps something based around dissidia or perhaps involving the time based moves from 10. do id hope theyd base his deign on ten and not have that look with the random things trailing off him like in dissidia. so while he may not be one of the more likely FF characters but id love to play as him.

nominate chibi-robo x5 do let me know if ive earned the extra noms

i am looking forward to seeing nate being rated tomorrow. i know everyone gonna say hes got no chance but i am curious to see what people think of the idea. although given how no one ever posts in my support thread for him i get the feeling no ones given it much thought. i guess itll be up to me to explain what he can do.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
The Laughing Man Himself:
Chance: 0%: The only FF games I'm betting on getting content is more for VII and maybe a FFVI character. X is kinda infamous anyways, and Tidus has no fan demand, so he's not happening.
Want: 95%: I love FFX, and there could be a lot of interesting potential with his moveset, especially if you look at Dissidia. Also, more FF music is always a plus, and the FFX stage could look gorgeous.

Nominations: Hajime Hinata x5

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Tidus

Chance 0 - Really think that FF 7 and 16 are the 2 games from that franchise that are set for some focus right now since theyre both due for things at the moment. Unfortunately for Tidus he's from number 10. I'm not even sure they'd swing for another FF character after how little they got with Cloud last time, but maybe it could happen. Either way though I don't see this mattering much for Tidus who is currently out of the FF limelight at the moment. Also think there's a lot of FF competition here and I don't think there's enough going on to overcome that for him

Want 10 - There's others I'd rather get first from FF, mainly Sephiroth. I also don't have a connection to him and have never played FF10.

Predictions:
Nate Adams - 1.32%

Noms:
Stretchers xAll Daily Noms

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Tidus

Chance: 0.1%. Final Fantasy is poorly represented in Smash Already (at least in spirits and soundtracks), so the chance of Tidus getting in is almost impossible. Not helping is that there are more likely fighters to be the Third Squera Enix Rep, like Geno and Lara Croft. The .1is because there is a very very slim chance, but Sephiroth and Tifa are more likely choices. But another reason is that Square Enix is slowly becoming less stingy, but we still need Final Fantasy spirits.

Want: 50%. More Final Fantasy representation is good and Tidus would be fun to play as. While I prefer it if Tifa and Sephiroth got in before, but Tidus would still help give Final Fantasy more representation, which would be great.

Prediction: Nate (2%)

Noms: 5 for Concept: Second F-Zero Rep and 5 for Stage: Bowser’s Castle

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Thank god that pretentious day ended. Now we can talk about video game characters

The guy who Shulk reminds me of.

I do not see a third party franchise getting another rep. I don't see FF being that franchise should it happen, and i don't see what Tidus has over the other FF protags aside of being a living meme.

It's not that Tidus or FFX are unpopular (though opinions seem to be mixed since this was the start of the era when FF was slowly approaching its dork age) but it's not gonna get a reaction out of people if he is added, and when you are going to be next FF rep after the most iconic hero and one of the most shocking reveals of Smash.........i think that's a problem. Never mind the circumstances like Square begin Stingy ("noo NOOOOOO SQUARE IS NAT SITNGEEEEEE THEY GAVE 2 SONGS AND NO SPIRITS TO CLOUWD AND GAVE MIDIS TOOO HEROOOASNDSKAJDNAKJDNSAKDN NOOO NOOOO)

Yes, FFX was a very important game, and one of the earliest successes of the PS2, and is now available on Switch, and has been featued on FF crossovers like Dissidia, but you could say the latter thing (the crossover one, not the switch one) for just about every mainline FF protag. So i don't see an argument for him beign the most likely or popular FF rep around.

Want: 0%

I usually would abstain here due to me never having touched FFX in my life (the first thing that comes to mind when hearing the Main Battle Theme is Super Sonic fighting Slash Beast from Mega Man X4) but this would mean he would get over Terra, who is the only non-puppet Square character that i would actually like to see in Smash. So no thank you.

Not expecting a lot of confidence due to Yo-kai Watch's fall from popularity, along with the current internal conflicts within Level-5.
.....What?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
**** you Tidus

I was always going to do a big write-up for this guy because you don't nominate a character for 4 months just to abstain, but I'm also seeing a lot of people wondering why they'd go for Tidus. Never fear, I'm here to tell you why.

There have been many myths about Final Fantasy X. But here are the facts. Final Fantasy X was the series' big leap into the sixth generation of consoles. It was released to critical acclaim (it's the second highest Final Fantasy title on Metacritic, after IX) and commercial success (8 million+ copies sold). Is it a controversial title? Nah, not anymore than any post-VII game has been.

"Alright," you might be thinking "so a Final Fantasy game was groundbreaking for its time, got good reviews and sold well. Doesn't that apply to most of them?" Yes, that's very true. However, I think X has the edge on them on a few regards. For one, Japan adores X, and Tidus and Yuna. In fact, a poll by Famitsu had Final Fantasy X named the best game ever. It was the first FF game to get a direct sequel. From a Japanese perspective, it's gonna be one of the first games they think of, even before games like IV and VI that would probably spring to mind to a Western audience.

Another factor is representation. I mentioned previously on Terra's day how I don't think they'd go for Squall or Zidane because they represent the same style and era of FF that Cloud does. I think you can divide Final Fantasy into eras by console pretty neatly, so I-III are NES era, IV-VI are SNES era, VII-IX are PS1 era, X-XII are PS2 era, and XII-XVI would be the "modern" era. I think Tidus would be a pretty great representative of the PS2 era, and I think that's an era that they could be looking to represent. The NES games suffer from a lack of defined protagonists, XIII was a colossal failure, XIV is an MMO, XV was a mixed bag and is old news by now, and XVI won't be on the Switch anyway. That, in my opinion, leaves Terra (for the SNES games), Sephiroth (for a double-dip into VII) and Tidus as the strong candidates for FF.

Now, does this mean I think Tidus is getting in? Hell no! For it to happen we need to get another Square Enix rep, for it to be a second Final Fantasy character, and only then do you get into these three contenders, out of which I admit Tidus is the least likely. But he's a contender, if a longshot, and I always like to bring underdiscussed candidates to the forefront.

Chance: 7%
Want: 90%

I don't hate you Tidus, I just it hadn't taken me this long to get you on the schedule. He's a great character, meme laugh nonwithstanding, I loved FFX and I'd love to see him in Smash. Still, my preferred FF rep is Terra, VI is just hard to beat.

Noms: Jason & SOPHIA x10
Nate Adams prediction: 0.78%

We barely have any FF7 content in the game. No way are we getting FFX content any time soon
Final Fantasy is poorly represented in Smash Already, so the chance of Tidus getting in is almost impossible.
Never mind the circumstances like Square begin Stingy
Damn people still saying "Square stingy" in 2020.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
****ing Tidus

Chance: 5%

I was going to give this guy an even lower chance score than this, but GoodGrief convinced me that he does have a slight chance. I'm not going to repeat everything, but the fact that the game was very successful for it's time and Tidus is popular in Japan does give him merit. Also, people are still saying Square is stingy? Come on. We have no clue what happened behind the scenes to cause the lack of FF spirits in base game, but whatever those events were, they may not apply to the DLC. But the big issue is again, Square is completely crowded. Even within Final Fantasy terms, I think Terra and another FF7 rep are more likely due to Final Fantasy 3/6 being very influential and FF7 having a recent remake. But I do give Tidus credit since FFX is one of the handful or so of FF games that are on Switch and the fact that FFX got a sequel is a big deal.

Want: 70%

I liked what I've played of FFX so sure I would like to see Tidus be playable. More FF content is always welcomed and FFX naturally has some really nice tunes. He just isn't at the top of my most wanted Square characters list, though.

Prediction: Nate Adams - 7%

Noms:
Arthur x5
A Microsoft rep that isn't Steve or Master Chief x10

Mr. MR

Smash Apprentice
Tidus

I was going to give him zero but then I learned he had a remaster that I should pick it up eventually. I don't even know why I missed this news. Was the marketing strong? Anyway, Tidus' main reason why I don't see him coming to Smash is Cloud is in this game. If there was one character that represents Final Fantasy it's Cloud. I'm not even a FF fan (I haven't played any of the games tho I have exposure to the hard hitters) and even I know Cloud is the standout despite being not the first nor the most recent. Could didn't need a remake or remaster to be added in Smash, he's that much ahead of the other Final Fantasy main characters. While FFX is the one FF game that I have the most exposure in, I don't think it has a chance against another Square Enix franchise like the Nintendo exclusive Bravely Default Series MRGRGR!!!. Also this remaster is already out and so I think the period for a Smash announcement is already gone.

Want: 24%
I am warm to Tidus because FFX was so loved by my friends in the PS2 era, but I wont let that stop me from wanting another Square Enix character. There's just too many characters that I want before Tidus both in SE and outside of it. Also I love the music and the cast of Bravely Default a lot more than I currently love Tidus. If he did get in then I will feel some disappointment for what could have been. However, I'll give him an extra percent for his musical laugh.

Noms: Lu Fengxian (Lu Bu) x10
Prediction: 6.28%

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Mostly on the basis on said negotiations happening for the same series twice, when said series is legal hell as it is (not even DQ suffers it to this degree).
Final Fantasy was only negotiated once, we know for a fact that Cloud was negotiated for Smash 5 alongside Smash 4 DLC.

Top Bottom